home
RSS
My Take: New TV series 'GCB'  portrays Christians as caricatures
Actresses Leslie Bibb, left, and Annie Potts at a 'GCB' event in January.
March 5th, 2012

My Take: New TV series 'GCB' portrays Christians as caricatures

Editor's Note: Margaret Feinberg is an international speaker and author of "Scouting the Divine" and "The Sacred Echo." Follow her on Twitter.

By Margaret Feinberg, Special to CNN

Originally dubbed “Good Christian Bitches” after the book by Kim Gatlin, a television series that debuted on ABC on Sunday night had its name changed to “Good Christian Belles” before being shortened to “GCB.” Whatever meaning you assign to those three letters, the show portrays Christians as caricatures and feels a little desperate.

The show serves up predictable night-time soapy-ness that’s lured audiences for years. The only difference is that instead of an emergency room, GCB serves it up Texas-style, in the buckle of the Bible Belt, complete with more Scripture ripped out of context than most churchgoers can keep count.

“GCB” tracks the adventures of Amanda (Leslie Bibb), who lives a perfect Southern California life until her husband, Bill, embezzles billions through a Ponzi scheme, then suddenly dies. Amanda’s life falls apart.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Despite her promise that she’ll never go back to Dallas, Amanda finds herself packing up and returning to the land of bedazzled Bibles and “Amazing Grace” ringtones. She moves back in with her mother, Gigi (Annie Potts), who welcomes her with arms wide open but forces her to go to church.

Amanda, a mean girl in high school transformed through adulthood and tough times, receives an icy homecoming. Those she picked on years before – Carlene (Kristin Chenoweth), the queen of the belles, Sharon (Jennifer Aspen), rarely seen without food in hand, and Cricket (Miraim Shor), one of the most powerful women in Dallas – have become the new mean girls, all grown up.

Their pastimes include gossip and cruelty, which form the perfect opportunity for all the characters to learn “You reap what you sow.” That’s Texan for “karma.”

“GCB” suggests that everything – from Botox to boobs – really is bigger in Texas. But keeping a show on the air these days requires more than a name-change publicity stunt and a Southern drawl. Viewers still want clever dialogue, compelling characters and a rock star storyline.

That’s where “GCB” starts feeling desperate (and a little too reminiscent of “Desperate Housewives” – a show that just happens to be in its final season, also on ABC).

Overall, “GCB” portrays Bible Belt, Texified Christians as shallow caricatures of churchgoers, people who maintain a designer veneer of purity and piety, but act on carnal impulses at almost every turn.

Some characters on the show are full of hypocrisy and are prone to gossip, one-upping and gross consumerism. But instead of being embarrassed or repentant for their words and actions, they leverage religion to justify their behavior. The open prayer time during church becomes an opportunity to showcase petty and vindictive attitudes instead of finding transformation through Christ.

“GCB” acts as a mirror as to how Christians are often perceived, which is to say none-too-positively. But the “GCB” caricature doesn't represent the vast majority of Christians, who find themselves in generous, kindhearted congregations that serve their communities, from providing food and shelter for those displaced by recent natural disasters to providing clean water and much-needed aid around the world.

Still, “GCB” challenges every Christian – including me – to consider our own faith journey and if our talk really matches our walk. When do we fall prey to petty, gossipy, vindictive attitudes and actions? In our own lives, when do we allow “GCB” to get the best of us?

The show has the potential to showcase themes such as forgiveness and redemption. For everyone’s sake, I hope it does.

If the writers choose instead to follow the well-trodden path of Wisteria Lane, at the very least they’re going to need to strengthen the plot, develop the characters and sharpen the dialogue. Otherwise, the the series will have its own come-to-Jesus moment sooner rather than later.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Margaret Feinberg.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Opinion • TV

1. TV Reviews

I was recommended this blog via my cousin. I am now not positive whether or not this put up is written by him as no one else recognise such designated approximately my trouble. You are wonderful! Thanks!

April 23, 2012 at 5:02 am |
  2. mrklrsn

one more thing in response to Common Sense, you say the Christians you know are nothing like the Christians I portray. That is because you have never disagreed with their core beliefs. If you did chances are they would behave just like i characterize.

March 8, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
  3. uncalled for

does anyone else think that Bibb looks like a blowup doll in that picture?

March 8, 2012 at 12:31 pm |
  4. Troy in Austin

Roger you are correct, I wish we could but alas, they got more guns!

March 7, 2012 at 7:47 pm |
  5. Robert Brown

Roger you said,
    “No, the problem is Christians are trying to force their religion down our throats through laws and policies. Just look at what is happening in politics today. Christians are suppose to be the majority in this country and it got run into the ground, it's time for this cult to disappear.”

There is no force involved. God lets us choose and regardless of laws passed people will ultimately do what they wish. When folks start talking about Christians forcing them to do, or not to do something, the first thing I think of is rebellion. Just as a child rebels against the authority of their parents. People rebel against God’s authority. They don’t want to be accountable.

If you choose to be unaccountable, God may not stop you. He could if He wanted too, but I wouldn’t count on it.

March 7, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
    • Roger

"There is no force involved. God lets us choose and regardless of laws passed people will ultimately do what they wish. When folks start talking about Christians forcing them to do, or not to do something, the first thing I think of is rebellion. Just as a child rebels against the authority of their parents. People rebel against God’s authority. They don’t want to be accountable"

The crap you people make up in your heads about your god is hysterical. There is NO proof your god exists, there is proof you have a chemical reaction in your head. I am accountable in my life to myself and my family you have to tell yourself this crap so you can feel better about believing in something that doesn't exists. You are the one rebelling like a child when you tell them Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny aren't real! Oh...and it's a killer too isn't it that Santa was based off a real man too.

March 7, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
    • Robert Brown

References and or witnesses supplied upon request.

March 7, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
    • lunchbreaker

This may be an oddball question, but do you think it is fair that some people witnessed these events and others did not? Take doubting Thomas, he did not belive Christ rose from the dead. Thomas, unlike the rest of us recieved physical proof, the wounds on Jesus' hands and side. Is that fair? Thomas might have spent an eternity in hell if not for the actual physical evidence. Of course, if you believe in predestination I suppose it doesn't matter.

March 7, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
    • Robert Brown

Those are great questions. I don't know the answers.
      Also, consider how Paul was saved. If someone were struck blind and Jesus told them to go here and do this. I would say most people would follow instructions. The salvation testimonies I have personally heard have varied widely. From the sense of making a decision to a sense of having no choice. My personal experience was the latter. It was an overwhelming irrresistable desire. Could I have refused? I don't think so.
      I do believe if someone is interested and seeks God they will find Him. I would hope everyone would have the opportunity to accept Christ as their personal Savior.

March 7, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
    • Roger

"We can’t prove to you the existence of God by use of physical evidence. The witnesses of the events recorded them in the Bible and those who have been saved can give witness or testimony of their personal spiritual experience. So, if you require physical evidence of the existence of God you are not going to get it, but if you can accept the testimony of multiple witnesses we may be able to help. "

The experiences you are feeling are merely chemical reactions in your brain, doesn't prove or mean your god is real. There are multiple witnesses that Santa Claus is real doesn't mean he actually goes around putting all the presents under the tree today. It's a myth kept alive by gullible people, nothing more.

March 7, 2012 at 3:54 pm |
    • Robert Brown

I would agree that the Holy Spirit has effects on the body. Even the release of the chemicals you are refering too. You may be putting the cart before the horse. You are thinking the release of chemicals causes people to believe they have had some sort of experience. I believe the presence of the Holy Spirit causes all sorts of spiritual, physical, mental, emotional, and etc. effects.

March 7, 2012 at 4:03 pm |
    • Roger

“I would agree that the Holy Spirit has effects on the body. Even the release of the chemicals you are refering too.”

Wow the excuses and lies you must have to tell yourself.

“ You are thinking the release of chemicals causes people to believe they have had some sort of experience. I believe the presence of the Holy Spirit causes all sorts of spiritual, physical, mental, emotional, and etc. effects.”

Nope, it’s still all about the brain and nothing more. Come on herbie, aka just sayin, etc... you know this yet continue to lie about it. Your poor spelling is a great tell on your posts and proves what an idiot you are.

March 7, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
    • Robert Brown

While the idiot part may be a matter of opinion, I have no idea about the herbie just sayin stuff. The spelling aside it could be you have exchanged ideas with other Christians.

March 7, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
    • Minerva

Gee, Roger, no wonder people get upset with you. It didn't take much for your crudeness to kick in. I'm degreed in zoology and and am amazed with the accuracy of Genesis. Considering it was written by people who had little scientific knowledge, it is easier to believe it was inspired by a higher being than not. Indeed, biologists – including Francis Crick – acknowledge that life on Earth could not have started in the conditions that would have been present 4.5 billion years ago. An interesting puzzle ... studying mitochondiral DNA and "Y" chromosomes brings and interesting scientific dilemma. The "1st common woman" is many, many generations before 'the 1st common man'. This is Biblically explained by the fact that Eve is the 1st common woman, but Noah is the 1st common man. And your explanation is ... ? [Anyone else notice that modern man 'appeared' about 10,000 years ago – like Christians say? Or that Lucy still makes appearances at museums when it is decided she is not an ancestor?] Dear Roger. You are ill informed of what the research says.

March 12, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
  6. KILL YOUR TELEVISION WHILE YOU STILL CAN

March 7, 2012 at 12:12 pm |
    • Common Sense

No Roger, I am making an assertion that God exists.

You assert that NO gods exist whatsoever

Just so you know, its not a logical argument to make the assertion that God does not exist and then leave it at that. IF you state that God does not exist at all, you have to then logically defend that assertion. AND YOU HAVEN'T! You think its enough to just write "God doesn't exist and its a figment of the imagination," and then say something condescending about how the freaking Easter Bunny. Unless you are omniscient, then YOU DONT KNOW THAT AND YOU CANNOT PROVE IT!! Do you really think your 5 limited senses can tell without a doubt that God doesn't exist? Since you are in fact NOT omniscient, you cannot make the assertion "God does not exist" without proof, without evidence and think that just because you said it, that its automatically truth. If you're going to ignore logic, then I want nothing to do with this, because you're a fool who has made his own mind into his own God. All hail the omniscient Roger. What a joke.

March 7, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
  7. lunchbreaker

I got my definition from dictionary.com, when i googled yours the 1st hit is http://www.christianwalks.org/churchgodpro/cults.htm. Apparently Christians make up there own definitions.

March 7, 2012 at 11:42 am |
    • Common Sense

Actually, my definition was from bing's definition. Once again, strawman much???

March 7, 2012 at 11:44 am |
    • Common Sense

Secondly, the definition of a cult carries with it a certain connotation specific to our language and culture. For americans who throw the word cult around it means something specific. Something that connotes an organization led by a charismatic or authoritarian leader or organization who hijacks a persons mind and volition to conform to the group, and as a result has certain harsh or unjust consequences to leaving. That is not christianity. No one is holding me against my will or brainwashing me. You have neglected to elaborate on this aspect of the term in your definition. Culture doesn't see the term cult the way you have described it. That is how you examine language.

March 7, 2012 at 11:50 am |
    • Roger

"Something that connotes an organization led by a charismatic or authoritarian leader or organization who hijacks a persons mind and volition to conform to the group, and as a result has certain harsh or unjust consequences to leaving. That is not christianity. No one is holding me against my will or brainwashing me. "

March 7, 2012 at 11:54 am |
    • lunchbreaker

So now you know of 2 different definitions form different sources. How are you going to choose which one you belive, how about we add a third, directly from Webster's.

cult noun, often attributive \ˈkəlt\
      Definition of CULT
      1: formal religious veneration : worship
      2: a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
      3: a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
      4: a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator
      5a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad b : the object of such devotion c : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

That's 2 out of 3 in favor of any religion being a cult.

But the real point is why even defend it, so what if Christianity fits a certian definition, it is what it is.

March 7, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
    • Common Sense

"It's society that is doing it for you by belonging to your cult you feel like you are part of your community. Just look how atheists are treated by Christians on this forum you weak mind couldn't handle that type of rejection."

I have already addressed your logical falsehood of what defines a cult, so I'm over with that. As to how Atheists are "treated" by Christians, I have not treated you wrongly, I have merely pointed out the facts and definitions and somehow you still present a false caricature of Christianity and myself, which is unfortunate because you should be able to see your own folly in that regard, but you still seem to stumble with understanding. Instead, it has been you who have proven you can only descend to name calling in an attempt to disprove and discredit, which is sad. I hope your bigotry (which I feel in the wake of your ignorance has been lost on you), dissipates and you realize that which you rail against isn't really the enemy you want it to be.

March 7, 2012 at 12:02 pm |
    • Common Sense

Lunchbreaker: By your definition (or rather, your presentation or caricature of the definition), it allows for no distinction between organizations such as the branch dividians, the heavens gate, the jehovah's witnesses etc, from those who are COMPLETELY different in structure, purpose and motive such as a non denominational church that follows the bible. You do realize this discrepancy don't you??? Its really sad that you can't see the difference here, and YES, there is a difference. That difference is how our culture perceives a cult, and thus, how it is ultimately defined as such.

March 7, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • lunchbreaker

There not my definitions. You previously posted "You should look up the definition of a cult before you start throwing around loaded words to justify nonsensical generalizations." So I did. I never said "Christianity is a cult" I just posted the definitions that I got from credible sources. You can say that society will interpret the word differently, and they do, but it doesn't change the definition of the word.

March 7, 2012 at 12:20 pm |
    • Common Sense

Lunchbreaker: When you say something is a "cult," what does that mean to you?

March 7, 2012 at 12:22 pm |
    • Brad

lunchbreaker's definitions of "cult" are valid (obviously). In fact, "cult" is not always regarded as having negative connotations. The Cult of Saint Anne is one such example from Catholicism.

March 7, 2012 at 12:27 pm |
    • lunchbreaker

What I think it is doesn't matter to the argument. You where the one that issued the challenge to look up the definition. You got busted by Webster, so just admit what you are saying is that people have a certain perception of what a cult means and quit harping on the definition of a word. So many arguments get lost to semantics, such as this one. We've been arguing over a word, when what matters is really how Christians or members of any other religion behave and are percieved in society. As for you question I will say I percieve cult probably the same as you do, people having non-mainstream, extreme belief systems. I may have percieved individual churches as cult like, but not religion as a whole. So I'll join you and stop it with definitions for today.

March 7, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
    • Common Sense

Lunchbreaker: No, actually I didn't get "busted" by Webster. On #3 for the definition of Cult by Webster it reads " a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious." Spurious means "erroneous, false, disingenuous etc" So NO, I didn't get busted, it illustrated exactly what I said it was. Christianity, practiced biblically, is not marked by a church that has an authoritative or charismatic leader who controls the mind. I would define such a church as erroneous, false and disingenuous. OR as a CULT. To define ALL of Christianity as a cult is inaccurate to the definition. Someone who defines Christianity as a cult both does not know how that word is used and in most cases is ignorant toward christianity or has a bitter bone to pick with it.

March 7, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
    • Robert Brown

Lunchbreaker,

I think a lot of Christians are preceived by nonbelievers as being hypocrites. What causes this is the nonbelievers misunderstanding of Christianity. For example, the nonbelievers think Christians are supposed to be good. Then they see a Christian do or say something very unChristian, or not good. That is the misunderstanding. Christians are just as human as nonbelievers. We all have the flesh, the natural man. When the natural man controls we sin. When the spiritual man is in control we may live up to a nonbelievers expectations temporarily. Paul wrote a lot about the internal war between the spirit and the flesh that he experienced himself. I can post some references if your interested.

March 7, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
    • Roger

"Then they see a Christian do or say something very unChristian, or not good. That is the misunderstanding. Christians are just as human as nonbelievers. "

March 7, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
    • Common Sense

Roger: No one is trying to shove Christianity down your throat Roger. That's what you want to believe so you can play out your petty diatribe. Now if you said socialism and big government is being force fed to the american people, then that is something that can be proven with facts. The whole Christianity is evil and should be destroyed crap that you're trying to sell isn't being bought. And its being sold by you and a small minority of bitter people with no voice.

March 7, 2012 at 1:12 pm |
    • Roger

"The whole Christianity is evil and should be destroyed crap that you're trying to sell isn't being bought. And its being sold by you and a small minority of bitter people with no voice.'

The bitter voice is Christianity not those that don't fall for the lies you have to tell yourself to believe in a myth and belong to your cult. It's is the time to get rid of your cult and as more proof comes out about the lies in the bible, the contradictions in your religion then it will be destroyed bit by bit. It's already been proven that spirituality is just a chemical reaction in your brain, nothing more. There is no proof of an existence of a god and there never will be, it's a man made concept.

March 7, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
    • lunchbreaker

Common, It's obvious you like to cherry pick, considering you ignore definitions 1 and 2, and you obviously stopped reading my post when I used the word "busted". Your pride caused you to ingnore the fact that I ended up agreeing with you on our perception of the word "cult". I'll repost the part you skipped:

So many arguments get lost to semantics, such as this one. We've been arguing over a word, when what matters is really how Christians or members of any other religion behave and are percieved in society. As for you question I will say I percieve cult probably the same as you do, people having non-mainstream, extreme belief systems. I may have percieved individual churches as cult like, BUT NOT RELIGION AS A WHOLE. So I'll join you and stop it with definitions for today. (so I thought in my last post)

March 7, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
    • ....

"have merely pointed out the facts and definitions and somehow you still present a false caricature of Christianity and myself, which is unfortunate because you should be able to see your own folly in that regard, but you still seem to stumble with understanding. Instead, it has been you who have proven you can only descend to name calling in an attempt to disprove and discredit, which is sad. I hope your bigotry "

Pot meet kettle, kettle meet pot. That log in your eye is huge!

March 7, 2012 at 1:21 pm |
    • Common Sense

If I have a log, you have one too. Pot meet kettle. Wow, you're a rare one.

March 7, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
    • ...

"If I have a log, you have one too. Pot meet kettle."

The log just keeps getting bigger making you blind to you're own stupidity. ;-)

March 7, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
    • Common Sense

Roger: You are aware that there is no proof for the NON EXISTENCE of God either. You do realize that due to that fact we are both in the dark making educated guesses. Thus, we are both truly agnostic. It just so happens that I have more evidence for the existence of God (in Jesus), then you have for the NON existence of God. Since my belief is not based on proof, it is called faith. Since your (i'm assuming) atheist belief is not based on any proof it is also called faith. Secondly, Jesus isn't a myth. He existed, he lived, he died and according to credible historians who study the bible, we have good reasons to believe he rose from death. Thirdly, you say that spirituality is just a "chemical reaction," then love is just a chemical reaction? Go ahead and tell all that you "love" that its just a chemical reaction, i'm sure that will be appreciated. The "chemical reaction" argument is pure BS and doesn't account for the full spectrum of Human Expression. And finally, I'm fine with Christianity being eradicated, that will just mean that prophecies from 1000's of years ago will start coming true....I think you know what happens after that, if not, see revelation.

March 7, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
    • Roger

“ You do realize that due to that fact we are both in the dark making educated guesses. Thus, we are both truly agnostic.”

No there is no god, it’s a man made concept, nothing more.

“It just so happens that I have more evidence for the existence of God (in Jesus), then you have for the NON existence of God. Since my belief is not based on proof, it is called faith. Since your (i'm assuming) atheist belief is not based on any proof it is also called faith.”

No, it’s called I am delusional. Then that must mean that there’s just as much faith in believing in flying pink elephants.

“Secondly, Jesus isn't a myth. He existed, he lived, he died and according to credible historians who study the bible, we have good reasons to believe he rose from death.”

“Thirdly, you say that spirituality is just a "chemical reaction," then love is just a chemical reaction? Go ahead and tell all that you "love" that its just a chemical reaction, i'm sure that will be appreciated. The "chemical reaction" argument is pure BS and doesn't account for the full spectrum of Human Expression.

It is a chemical reaction all of it is – your sexual arousals, are chemical reactions, it’s all in your head.

“ I'm fine with Christianity being eradicated, that will just mean that prophecies from 1000's of years ago will start coming true....I think you know what happens after that, if not, see revelation.”

Since the bible is just a work of fiction and not a true historical document, yes that has been proven too, no worries. It means humanity can finally reach its full potential by not believing in 2000 year old myths.

March 7, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
    • Common Sense

You said "No there is no god, it’s a man made concept, nothing more."

- Can you offer proof that God doesn't exist? Since you failed to do so in your response, then I'll take that as a no, and you have confirmed my assertion by your lack of refutation. By the way, an opinion doesn't count as proof.

Saying the bible doesn't contain historical content is the height of ignorance. The bible has historical information, geneologies, events, histories of people groups. There are also things that it includes that you can choose to believe or not. Jesus believed in scripture, and so do I because I have reason to believe he is who he said he was. Which I pointed out is more evidence for my position than you can provide for yours.

- You can believe in flying pink elephants all you want. I still have more evidence and reason to believe Jesus is who he said he was, then you have for believing in the non existence of God or flying pink elephants. Once again...failure to refute.

"So did many other gods – duh they took that from other religions doesn’t mean it’s true."

-Um no they actually didn't. And I know exactly what you will try to include as "parallel gods" who resurrected but that has been refuted by scholars as well. And I didn't see any of these gods you are referring to being mentioned so I'll take it as conjecture and opinion, not fact.

"It is a chemical reaction all of it is – your se.xual arousals, are chemical reactions, it’s all in your head."

-Once again, a matter of opinion. The line between the spirit and the physical/mental cannot be determined, and hasn't been. Human behavior cannot be broken down to nuts and bolts of chemicals and reactions. If that were true, then anti depressants and other mental drugs would be 100% effective. But they aren't.

March 7, 2012 at 2:21 pm |
    • Roger

“Can you offer proof that God doesn't exist? Since you failed to do so in your response, then I'll take that as a no, and you have confirmed my assertion by your lack of refutation. By the way, an opinion doesn't count as proof.”

Since the entire bible is based on opinion and not fact your bible isn’t proof either.
      “Saying the bible doesn't contain historical content is the height of ignorance. The bible has historical information, geneologies, events, histories of people groups.”
      There are many books that are fiction that contain historical facts doesn’t prove the book is real. The Smithsonian is the one stating it is NOT a historical book. Stop being so lazy H.S and do your home work. ;-)

“Jesus believed in scripture, and so do I because I have reason to believe he is who he said he was. Which I pointed out is more evidence for my position than you can provide for yours.”

Just because someone believe something could be true doesn’t mean it is without proof. By the way it’s been proven that some of what was written about your Christ was added later and written well after he was dead…oh wait that’s more opinion! LOL!
      “I still have more evidence and reason to believe Jesus is who he said he was, then you have for believing in the non existence of God or flying pink elephants. Once again...failure to refute. “

Your Jesus was a child created out of wedlock and the woman having that child would have been killed so she lied about it – doesn’t mean it’s true. It does prove you are one gullible person.
      “Um no they actually didn't. And I know exactly what you will try to include as "parallel gods" who resurrected but that has been refuted by scholars as well. And I didn't see any of these gods you are referring to being mentioned so I'll take it as conjecture and opinion, not fact. “

Scholars that only agree with your opinions, we can play the expert game if you want but I have scholars that prove your scholars wrong. You’re so brainwashed you’ll only read those that you want to reinforce your belief in your myth.
      “ The line between the spirit and the physical/mental cannot be determined, and hasn't been. Human behavior cannot be broken down to nuts and bolts of chemicals and reactions. If that were true, then anti depressants and other mental drugs would be 100% effective. But they aren't.”

Hey moron, you are offering your opinion on this without fact so why don’t you apply your own criticism to yourself. What an idiot.

So Heaven Sent you switched handles again huh? You're still an egotistical moron.

March 7, 2012 at 2:32 pm |

March 7, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
    • Roger

“So through that whole rant of conjecture and opinion you still haven't given me any proof that God DOES NOT exist.....I'm still waiting, and will continue to wait until someone who is omniscient disproves God beyond a shadow of a doubt. Bueller...Bueller....”

You can’t give proof of something that doesn’t exist when it REALLY doesn’t exist. What a moron. Since you’re so confident your god does exist lets here your proof and NO the bible doesn’t count since it’s a work of fiction.
      “Until then, you will just be a lonely, bitter man ranting and railing against something you dont believe in, or can disprove. What a sad existence. Since you can't disprove God, what if you're wrong? Its a losing situation for you. If I'm wrong and you're right, it doesn't matter.....But what if I'm right? What if Jesus IS exactly who he said he was....”

LOL! I knew I could get you to use insults so now look back at your opinions are realize you’re the very thing your criticizing hypocrite. By the way I am not lonely I have a wonderful family, I am not bitter I have an amazing life. The fact you are reading that into what I am posting means that you are.

March 7, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
    • Common Sense

You're proving my point Roger. I have MORE evidence for my position than you have for yours. IF GOD DOES NOT EXIST, PROVE IT. Since you cannot, you are by Blaise Pascal's assumption, an unreasonable person. You want me to present my evidence, but I have asked you repeatedly for your evidence and you HAVE NOT! Because you know that you cannot prove your assertion and have been reduced to a faith in the non existence of God. You do not have knowledge, you FAITH!! And the worst part is you either ignore this fact blissfully, or you really can't comprehend it.

March 7, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
    • Roger

“You're proving my point Roger. I have MORE evidence for my position than you have for yours. IF GOD DOES NOT EXIST, PROVE IT. Since you cannot, you are by Blaise Pascal's assumption, an unreasonable person.”

What’s hysterical is you can’t see the huge log in your own eye hypocrite. That’s why Christianity is such a joke you can’t even follow your own rule book. Thanks for proving my point.

“You want me to present my evidence, but I have asked you repeatedly for your evidence and you HAVE NOT!”

You can’t prove something doesn’t exists when it’s not there in the first place. That’s like asking me to prove pink elephants can fly, the tooth fairy, the Easter Bunny . Get the point idiot.

“ You do not have knowledge, you FAITH!! And the worst part is you either ignore this fact blissfully, or you really can't comprehend it.”

March 7, 2012 at 3:50 pm |
    • Common Sense

"You can’t prove something doesn’t exist when it’s not there in the first place"

"More twisting by a Christians trying to grasp at anything that will allow their ego to be right, but sadly you’re wrong and you’re whining like a child who is being told Santa Claus isn’t real."

–Sorry Roger, but unless you can without a doubt, with evidence, prove that God doesn't or never has existed, you are a person of FAITH. Its common sense logic Roger. Either you have knowledge of something or you dont. If you dont, and can't prove it, but choose to believe it, its called FAITH. Faith defines my position AS WELL AS THE ATHEIST. Its very simple, and by your response I quoted above, it just shows that you are an ignorant and angry individual that cannot comprehend basic logical truth.

March 7, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
    • Roger

If I can’t prove then it must be true? There’s no proof because your god doesn’t exist, just like all the other gods didn’t really exist. They are man made concepts. You are so sure your god is real yet you want me to prove your wrong. You have no proof so you deflect it to me. I can’t prove the Easter Bunny isn’t real either so that must mean by your logic it really does exist. \

“How do you know it wasn't there in the first place??? Can you prove God does not Exist or has never existed? NO! How do you know God hasn't eternally existed? You dont! And you can't prove it! “

How do you know it wasn't there in the first place??? Can you prove Flying Pink Elephants does not Exist or has never existed? NO! How do you know Flying Pink Elephants hasn't eternally existed? You dont! And you can't prove it!

How do you know it wasn't there in the first place??? Can you prove the Tooth Fairy does not Exist or has never existed? NO! How do you know Tooth Fairy hasn't eternally existed? You dont! And you can't prove it!

“Roger, but unless you can without a doubt, with evidence, prove that God doesn't or never has existed, you are a person of FAITH.”

No Faith requires something to exist so there’s no faith that is you just twisting words to justify your own gullibility in believing something that isn’t real.

“Its very simple, and by your response I quoted above, it just shows that you are an ignorant and angry individual that cannot comprehend basic logical truth.”

You are only telling yourself these lies to feel better about yourself and the fact you can’t even follow your own rule book. It’s fun to watch a Christian revert to lying to themselves and others totally destroying their own religion and proving it’s just a bunch of nonsense.

March 7, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
    • Common Sense

No Roger, I am making an assertion that God exists.

You assert that NO gods exist whatsoever

March 7, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
    • Roger

“I said that we are both agnostic because NEITHER of us really knows if God exists or not because there is no evidence to prove either way.”

LMAO!

“ If you're going to ignore logic, then I want nothing to do with this, because you're a fool who has made his own mind into his own God. All hail the omniscient Roger. What a joke.”

The joke is on you pal since you can’t prove something doesn’t exist when it really doesn’t exist, just like pink flying elephants. Unless of course, you are doing drugs or something, is that what you’re doing? God is a man made concept nothing more and the fact gullible people are two weak in the head to realize that is why humanity is going in the toilet. You’ll just keep making feeble minded comments to justify your ego even though deep down you know you’re wrong. The god that Christians claim to exist doesn’t there is no proof it does and if they had they would have used it by now. What is great news is that only 30% of the people on this planet fall for it.

March 7, 2012 at 4:37 pm |
    • Common Sense

So your only response is "LMAO," and a recycled, condescending paragraph of your own conjectures and opinions. WOW!! You are some intellectual heavyweight aren't you. Its sad that I actually wasted the time listening to your moronic drivel for so long.

Psalm 14:1-3: The fool in his heart says there is no god.

The fool also has no words when confronted with logic. Sorry Roger, that's you.

March 7, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
    • Roger

“Just so you know, its not a logical argument to make the assertion that God does not exist and then leave it at that. IF you state that God does not exist at all, you have to then logically defend that assertion. AND YOU HAVEN'T! You think its enough to just write "God doesn't exist and its a figment of the imagination," and then say something condescending about how the freaking Easter Bunny.”

Yup because there is no proof of a god’s existence but there is proof that humans have a great imagination, especially when you figure in all the contradictions in the bible and additions that were made over the years.

“God does not exist" without proof, without evidence and think that just because you said it, that its automatically truth. If you're going to ignore logic, then I want nothing to do with this, because you're a fool who has made his own mind into his own God. All hail the omniscient Roger. What a joke.”

You’re the one who isn’t using logic, you can’t prove something doesn’t exist when it really doesn’t exist.

March 7, 2012 at 6:07 pm |
    • Roger

"So your only response is "LMAO," and a recycled, condescending paragraph of your own conjectures and opinions. WOW!! "

Yo moron you are doing the exact same thing which is why you are so hysterical.

March 7, 2012 at 6:10 pm |
    • Roger

"Psalm 14:1-3: The fool in his heart says there is no god."

Wait you said there is no proof either way so this too is merely opinion.

March 7, 2012 at 6:11 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Roger- I REALLY feel sorry for your kids...

March 8, 2012 at 10:15 am |
    • Roger

"Roger- I REALLY feel sorry for your kids..."

Based on your posts you shouldn't be allowed to reproduce cause you're such an idiot.

March 8, 2012 at 2:36 pm |
  8. Common Sense

Just because someone says they're a christian, doesn't mean they are. Come on people, you're all smarter than this. Just because every once in awhile you're presented with an opportunity to shoot down Christianity doesn't mean you should abandon all logic and common sense to do so.

March 7, 2012 at 11:02 am |
    • Roger

"ust because every once in awhile you're presented with an opportunity to shoot down Christianity doesn't mean you should abandon all logic and common sense to do so."

It's time for your cult to become dust like all other religion that are detrimental to our society.

March 7, 2012 at 11:04 am |

March 7, 2012 at 11:08 am |
    • Roger

"Sorry Roger. But Christianity is going nowhere. Oh, and its not a cult. You should look up the definition of a cult before you start throwing around loaded words to justify nonsensical generalizations."

A cult is a closed circle of people who organize around a particular belief system and that has its own sets of rules and regulations, and into which outsiders are not invited or welcome unless they convert to the belief system and adopt a certain mode of behavior. Most Christian religions fit into this description perfectly. Whats particularly interesting about religious cults is that the members are usually in denial about the fact that they have been brainwashed into conformance. These people will blindly hold on to that belief system even if evidence from the material world proves that the belief system is inconsistent or false, and they will defend the religion until death.

March 7, 2012 at 11:11 am |
    • lunchbreaker

cult   noun
      1. a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
      2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
      3. the object of such devotion.
      4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
      5. Sociology . a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.

March 7, 2012 at 11:12 am |
    • Common Sense

Wow guys, you can't even get the definition of a word right??

Cult:
      a system of religious or spiritual beliefs, especially an informal and transient belief system regarded by others as misguided, unorthodox, extremist, or false, and directed by a CHARISMATIC OR AUTHORITARIAN leader.

Sorry guys, I dont attend a church with a charismatic or authoritarian leader. No man has or is currently controlling my thoughts or behaviors or has brainwashed me. And no one has or is holding me against my will into an organization. It seems as if you guys are presenting yet another false charicature or strawman if you will to advance your point. Well, you seemed to have left out the most important parts of that definition.

March 7, 2012 at 11:19 am |
    • Roger

"Sorry guys, I dont attend a church with a charismatic or authoritarian leader. No man has or is currently controlling my thoughts or behaviors or has brainwashed me"

Yes you have it's from the men that wrote your bible. No wonder you're a brainwashed moron, you're picking and choosing which definition you want to use. LOL! What an idiot.

March 7, 2012 at 11:46 am |
    • Common Sense

Thank you Roger for reinforcing what I believe about militant, bitter apostates who rail against that which they perceive has wronged them. You have also contradicted what you previously said about arrogant and insulting Christians. You continue to throw opinion and conjecture at me regarding my "brainwashing," that which you know nothing of, and call me moron and idiot. You sound like a guy that everyone would like to hang out with! Call me an idiot, brainwashed I dont care. Your opinion matters nothing to me. The definition I found was from Bing dictionary, an objective source. You have chosen to leave out certain parts of the definition leaving your assertion false and thus a caricature. Why should I expect anything less, that's all you have presented so far.

March 7, 2012 at 11:55 am |
    • Roger

"You continue to throw opinion and conjecture at me regarding my "brainwashing," that which you know nothing of, and call me moron and idiot. You sound like a guy that everyone would like to hang out with! Call me an idiot, brainwashed I dont care. Your opinion matters nothing to me"

Yes it does because you keep replying showing more and more the arrogance and intolerance that Christians are, which is why I deliberately pushed your buttons. You failed in your very own belief system and proving you are a brainwashed moron belonging to a cult that needs to be destroyed.

March 7, 2012 at 1:01 pm |

Good for you Roger. And tell me... Are you going to destroy it?? :) Good Luck

March 7, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
    • Roger

"Good for you Roger. And tell me... Are you going to destroy it?? :) Good Luck"

I don't have too Christians are doing it themselves, it's why so many have already left the church or are you blind to that truth too.

March 7, 2012 at 1:23 pm |
    • TheRationale

I would have to disagree...

With the advent of the Internet age, I do believe religion will be on its way out. Not anytime soon, but certainly it certainly doesn't stand up to rational inquiry, which is impossible to avoid on the Inernet. Not just Christianity, but theology in general doesn't have a promising future in the long run.

March 7, 2012 at 11:41 pm |
    • Small "c" christian

CS- The problem is that most Christian sects beleive in what amounts to a highly-edited assemblage of tales and stories culled from a much larger collection, the balance of which were labelled heresey as soon as the so-called "New Testament" was compiled.
      Men selected the tales to be included, based as much on the Roman traditions surrounding the number 4 (4 seasons, 4 stages of life, etc) as on any other criteria. Thus, Constantine,a pagan Roman who converted on his deathbed, is almost directly responsible for what millions of faithful take as literal Holy Writ. They neither care nor do they often even know the origins of the NT, but accept the word of the Mother Church (an extension of the Roman Empire), which existed prior to literally EVERY Christian sect out there that the authors of the NT were 'divinely inspired'.

They were in fact inspired by Constantine, who siezed advantage of a disfunctional collection of as many as 60 Christian sects to impose a single, unified theology on the world, ruled by Rome (the Pope). Period.

Do I beleive in a Higher Power? Yes. Is it's source the emanations from the First Council of Nicea? Nope.

May 7, 2012 at 1:54 am |