home
RSS
Kirk Cameron defends views on gay marriage
March 7th, 2012

Kirk Cameron defends views on gay marriage

By Breeanna Hare, CNN

(CNN)–Kirk Cameron lost at least one fan with his remarks about homosexuality and gay marriage last week, but the former "Growing Pains" actor is standing his ground.

He explains in a statement that he "spoke as honestly" as he could when asked about his views on "homosexuality, gay marriage and abortion" while being interviewed for his film, "Monumental," "but some people believe my responses were not loving toward those in the gay community."

Cameron continued, "That is not true. I can assuredly say that it's my life's mission to love all people."

On Friday, Cameron appeared on "Piers Morgan Tonight" to discuss his film, among other topics.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

When Piers Morgan asked the actor what he'd tell his kids regarding gay marriage, Cameron responded, "I'd tell my children what I believe myself...I believe that marriage was defined by God a long time ago. Marriage is almost as old as dirt and it was defined in the garden between Adam and Eve. One man, one woman for life till death do you part. I would never attempt to try to redefine marriage, and I don't think anyone else should, either. So do I support the idea of gay marriage? No, I don't."

Read the full story from CNN's Marquee Blog

Watch Piers Morgan Live weeknights 9 p.m. ET. For the latest from Piers Morgan click here.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Faith Now • Homosexuality • TV-Piers Morgan

« Previous entry
  1. Nii Croffie

This is one thing I do not understand. It seems the gaay issue is more emotional in ur country. I am not advocating re-education camps! All I am saying is that like an adu.lte.rer a gay can change if he WANTS to.

March 8, 2012 at 7:28 am |
    • TruthPrevails

Considering you claim to be bi-se.xual, this seems a little odd coming from you! Gay is not something people can change, it is the way they are born. It's not a disease or anything like that. It can't be cured or fixed.

March 8, 2012 at 7:32 am |
    • pervert alert

The three safest places to find a ho mo se xual
      1. In a grave, preferably with a self inflicted cause and before they have harmed anyone especially the young.
      2. In a maximum security prison, preferably in solitary confinement, so as not to corrupt honest criminals.
      3. In a guarded hospital for the criminally insane, preferably in solitary confinement, restrained and gagged.

March 8, 2012 at 7:42 am |
    • Keith

Born that way? Where's your PROOF of that? Gay people have a different DNA make-up from those who choose not give into a sinful behavior? Don't think so.

March 8, 2012 at 7:45 am |
    • Nii Croffie

I have no desire to respond to the person who hacked my webzite. KEITH there r people who sing tall tales for the uneducated. Before the American Congress the top psychaitrist and geneticist have both said it is a learned behaviour.

March 8, 2012 at 8:09 am |
    • Erik

"Born that way? Where's your PROOF of that? Gay people have a different DNA make-up from those who choose not give into a sinful behavior? Don't think so"

Being gay is not a choice. I hate to burst any bubbles, but science, in fact, is actually not in dispute on this matter.

All major medical professional organizations concur that sexual orientation is not a choice and cannot be changed, from gay to straight or otherwise. The American, Canadian, Australian, New Zealand, and European Psychological, Psychiatric, and Medical Associations all agree with this, as does the World Health Organization and the medical organizations of Japan, China, and most recently, Thailand. Furthermore, attempts to change one's sexual orientation can be psychologically damaging, and cause great inner turmoil and depression, especially for Christian gays and lesbians.

Reparative therapy, also called conversion therapy or reorientation therapy, "counsels" LGBT persons to pray fervently and study Bible verses, often utilizing 12-step techniques that are used to treat sexual addictions or trauma. Such Christian councilors are pathologizing homosexuality, which is not a pathology but is a sexual orientation. Psychologically, that's very dangerous territory to tread on. All of the above-mentioned medical professional organizations, in addition to the American and European Counseling Associations, stand strongly opposed to any form of reparative therapy.

In my home country, Norway, reparative therapy is officially considered to be ethical malpractice. But there are many countries that do not regulate the practice, and many others that remain largely silent and even passively supportive of it (such as the Philippines). Groups that operate such "therapy" in the Philippines are the Evangelical Bagong Pag-asa, and the Catholic Courage Philippines.

The scientific evidence of the innateness of homosexuality, bisexuality, and transgenderism is overwhelming, and more peer-reviewed studies which bolster this fact are being added all the time. Science has long regarded sexual orientation – and that's all sexual orientations, including heterosexuality – as a phenotype. Simply put, a phenotype is an observable set of properties that varies among individuals and is deeply rooted in biology. For the scientific community, the role of genetics in sexuality is about as "disputable" as the role of evolution in biology.

On the second point, that there is no conclusion that there is a "gay gene," they are right. No so-called gay gene has been found, and it's highly unlikely that one ever will. This is where conservative Christians and Muslims quickly say "See, I told you so! There's no gay gene, so being gay is a choice!"

Take this interesting paragraph I found on an Evangelical website: "The attempt to prove that homosexuality is determined biologically has been dealt a knockout punch. An American Psychological Association publication includes an admission that there's no homosexual "gene" – meaning it's not likely that homosexuals are 'born that way.'"

But that's not at all what it means, and it seems Evangelicals are plucking out stand-alone phrases from scientific reports and removing them from their context. This is known in academia as the fallacy of suppressed evidence. Interestingly, this is also what they have a habit of doing with verses from the Bible.

This idea of sexuality being a choice is such a bizarre notion to me as a man of science. Many of these reparative "therapists" are basing this concept on a random Bible verse or two. When you hold those up against the mountain of scientific research that has been conducted, peer-reviewed, and then peer-reviewed again, it absolutely holds no water. A person's sexuality – whether heterosexual, homosexual, or bisexual – is a very deep biological piece of who that person is as an individual.

The fact that a so-called "gay gene" has not been discovered does not mean that homosexuality is not genetic in its causation. This is understandably something that can seem a bit strange to those who have not been educated in fields of science and advanced biology, and it is also why people who are not scientists ought not try to explain the processes in simple black-and-white terms. There is no gay gene, but there is also no "height gene" or "skin tone gene" or "left-handed gene." These, like sexuality, have a heritable aspect, but no one dominant gene is responsible for them.

Many genes, working in sync, contribute to the phenotype and therefore do have a role in sexual orientation. In many animal model systems, for example, the precise genes involved in sexual partner selection have been identified, and their neuro-biochemical pathways have been worked out in great detail. A great number of these mechanisms have been preserved evolutionarily in humans, just as they are for every other behavioral trait we know (including heterosexuality).

Furthermore, there are many biologic traits which are not specifically genetic but are biologic nonetheless. These traits are rooted in hormonal influences, contributed especially during the early stages of fetal development. This too is indisputable and based on extensive peer-reviewed research the world over. Such prenatal hormonal influences are not genetic per se, but are inborn, natural, and biologic nevertheless.

Having said that, in the realm of legal rights, partnership rights, and anti-discrimination protections, the gay gene vs. choice debate is actually quite irrelevant. Whether or not something is a choice is not a suitable criterion for whether someone should have equal rights and protections. Religion is indisputably a choice, but that fact is a not a valid argument for discriminating against a particular religion.

This is not an issue in dispute. According to modern science: baby, you were born this way.

March 8, 2012 at 8:13 am |
    • Yo!

"Before the American Congress the top psychaitrist and geneticist have both said it is a learned behaviour."

You are full of crap because all of the major world psychiatrist have gone on record stating the exact opposite. You're spewing nonsense to justify your own personal prejudices, nothing more. Your heart is black in hate.

March 8, 2012 at 8:16 am |
    • False Dichotomy

Good post, Erik. Unfortunately, your opposition is affected by information; they are driven by emotion (mostly subconscious fear)

March 8, 2012 at 8:38 am |
    • False Dichotomy

Make that "not" affected. Sorry.

March 8, 2012 at 8:38 am |
    • Keith

March 8, 2012 at 8:45 am |
    • Yo!

"Erik, You make it sound like a scientific slam dunk. I beg to differ. You said: attempts to change one's se-xual orientation can be psychologically damaging, and cause great inner turmoil and depression, especially for Christian gays and lesbians.
      That's what the Bible calls "conviction of sin". They KNOW they are doing wrong."

They know they were born gay it's not a choice and it's not a mental illness. By the way you're sounding like a moron because all the major world organization have state that therapies do not work, false and detrimental to those they target. It might help if you actually did your homework on this subject since your prejudice is not founded on facts.

March 8, 2012 at 8:49 am |
    • Keith

False Dichotomy, You're right to be afraid:

Hbr 10:31 [It is] a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
      Rom 1:18 ¶ For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
      Jhn 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
      Jhn 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
      Jhn 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
      Gays need a Savior just like the rest of us.

March 8, 2012 at 8:55 am |
    • Keith

March 8, 2012 at 9:00 am |
    • False Dichotomy

Keith, no, I'm not saying I'm afraid of your angry cartoon character. I'm afraid of the influence of folks like you. I'm afraid of how religion can cause people to disregard all the evidence, all the objective analysis in the world, and insist that they are right about everything cause God told them so. I'm not afraid of your god, psycho-boy, I'm afraid of you.

March 8, 2012 at 10:29 am |
    • Yo!

"Yo!, If my heart was black with hate, I would just say p-iss on these people-let 'em burn for eternity. Instead, I choose to warn them of trouble that is coming their way. That's hateful?"

Says you but not all the Christian community agrees with you! There are thousands of gay churches, gay clergy even and pastors stating being gay as we know and understand it today is NOT a sin. Your bible and the 3 passages that even discuss the subject are NOT relevant today. You have too look back at the culture and what exactly was being condemn it does NOT apply to the saved loving partnership of gay couples.

March 8, 2012 at 10:36 am |
    • Keith

The bible is NOT relevant today? Oh, really. And why is that? And as far as these "thousands" of gay churches go-do you have list that you could provide to support such a wild claim?
      Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
      Many are out there who claim the name of Christian who really aren't, Yo!

March 8, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
    • J.W

Define Christian. I think I am one, but I want to make sure I meet the true definition. I guess belief in Jesus and following his example is not good enough to be Christian.

March 8, 2012 at 12:14 pm |
    • Keith

False Dichotomy
      all the evidence? You mean like the Jews being back in the Covenant land and speaking of all things, Hebrew again-just like the Bible said would happen? I agree with there being evidence out there and people refusing to see it. They don't want to see it. Then they would have to admit to the existence of a God. Then they would have to give account to a God. Then they would have to give up their sinful lifestyles. They like their sin too much, so with many it ain't gonna happen.

March 8, 2012 at 12:17 pm |
    • Keith

J.W., Jhn 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Jhn 3:20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
      Repentance is also a key factor:
      Mat 9:13 But go ye and learn what [that] meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
      Mar 1:4 John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.
      Mar 2:17 When Jesus heard [it], he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
      Luk 3:3 And he came into all the country about Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins;
      Luk 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance, and begin not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to [our] father: for I say unto you, That God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.
      Luk 5:32 I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
      Luk 15:7 I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.
      Luk 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
      Act 5:31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand [to be] a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.
      Act 11:18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.
      Act 13:24 When John had first preached before his coming the baptism of repentance to all the people of Israel.
      Repentance is in the KJV 26x. Look them all up.

March 8, 2012 at 12:24 pm |
    • Person

Keith (and other god-believers),

You know, sometimes I almost wish that your little eternal reward scenario were true. I am a fairly good person - I have faults, sure, but I try to do no harm to anyone or anything. I am a real good rules-follower. I give to charity, have done volunteer work for many years, raised 4 honest and productive citizens and I do my best to be kind to others. I simply see no evidence of supernatural beings. Shall I pretend to worship an imaginary superhero? Actually, I did that for many years, but my conscience screaming, "hypocrite", finally made me stop it. There is no-one out/up/over/under there, Keith.

March 8, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
    • Yo!

"Yo!, Hbr 13:4 Marriage [is] honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but who-remongers and adulterers God will judge.
      Many are out there who claim the name of Christian who really aren't, Yo!"

You're twisting things again to justify your personal hatred and prejudice. The 3 small parts of the bible that talks about gays has nothing to do with what we know and understand about them today. Plus the word homosexual was added later by a prejudice scribe to Cor. The culture in Romans was using sex to worship a pagan god. It might help with your reading comprehension if you actually picked up a history book too – otherwise you look like an idiot. Gays are getting married before God, having loving supporting relationships believing in Christ. The snippets of test you are trying to use against them don't apply in that type of scenario. That's the point or did you forget to scroll up in Romans and see they were worshiping a pagan god. DUH!

March 8, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
    • Keith

Yo!, No actually I use this little tool called a CONCORDANCE. It gives you the ORIGINAL language used. Hebrew. Greek. Aramaic. A qu-eer is a qu-eer is a qu-eer and it's an abomination before the Lord. You are the one who can stop twisting things.

March 8, 2012 at 5:32 pm |
    • Keith

Person, You need to watch an episode of Way of the Master and take the "good person test". You'll find out you're not so "good" when compared to God's holiness.

March 8, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@Keith

And you seem to be wrose off than he is. You have gone into a tirade, and moved away from the original subject at hand. Being gay is not a choice, the scientific evidence supports that. There is nothing to back up your assertion that it is a choice, except for your words, which compared to doctors and psychologists, means nothing.

March 8, 2012 at 6:40 pm |
    • Keith

False Dichotomy,So you're afraid of me? Well, try this on for size: folks like you love death. You love to slaughter babies in the womb. Hell, I have more respect for Bashar Assad than I do you people-at least some of them can fight back. You've removed God from our schools. You've legalized gay marriage in 7 states. Sodomized the military(how conveinent)-like the Chinese bringing in troops from Tibet who would fire on Chinese protestors in T-square. Bottom line: you are bringing God's judgement on this nation, so who's the threat here? Me? or You?

March 8, 2012 at 7:07 pm |
    • False Dichotomy

Um, based on that ugly paranoid tirade you just spewed, yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and stick with you being the threat to a civil society.

March 8, 2012 at 10:25 pm |
    • Keith

No "tirade". Just a simple observation on my part.

March 9, 2012 at 10:41 am |
    • Fallacy Spotting 101

Recent posts by 'Keith' present a series of common fallacies, including the No True Scotsmen fallacy, the Willed Ignorance fallacy, and instances of circ-umstantial ad hominem and ad hominem fallacies.

March 9, 2012 at 10:47 am |
  2. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things,

March 8, 2012 at 7:25 am |
    • Jesus

~The statistical studies from the nineteenth century and the three CCU studies on prayer are quite consistent with the fact that humanity is wasting a huge amount of time on a procedure that simply doesn’t work. Nonetheless, faith in prayer is so pervasive and deeply rooted, you can be sure believers will continue to devise future studies in a desperate effort to confirm their beliefs!~~

March 8, 2012 at 8:09 am |
  3. Ken Oberman

Really? And all these years he's been gettiing banged in the pooper by ray comfort.

March 8, 2012 at 6:05 am |
  4. Nii Croffie

Being gay is a learned behaviour. Your s exual behaviour can be changed. If not why does Planned Parenthood make so much noise? Why is it that it occurs most in situation of se xual repression like monasteries, prisons n all male boarding schools. l e sbi ans r ok as it is a form of mas tur bation.

March 8, 2012 at 3:58 am |
    • Nii Croffie

Atheists have to understand that we spiritual Christians esp ministers like Kirk Cameron do not hate any sinner even gays because we alike r all sinners. Our will is perverted by selfishness. If we cud be perfect we wud not accept Christ. If asked direct questions expect us to answer directly.

March 8, 2012 at 5:13 am |
    • Nii Croffie

I've heard chemicals in de amniotic fluid makes someone gay! Really! Then we shud all b 2o. Its possible 2 b tempted if u as a male decide that u don't have feelings 4 females consciously. Immediately ur body will start responding to males. If it was a subconscious decision that shud not happen.

March 8, 2012 at 5:28 am |
    • DanTheMan

It is my hope that some day that you have the pleasure of experiencing someone modifying your behavior against your wishes.

March 8, 2012 at 6:37 am |
  5. AGuest9

Go back to Hollywood and stay there, please.

March 8, 2012 at 12:30 am |
    • Kirk

Why is it that when people are asked their opinion, others want to take that "right" away? Whether I agree with Kirk C. or not, he has a right to his opinion – not to mention the media stages these kinds of interviews for the sole purpose of dividing people. He doesn't hang in hollywood – btw, and his work targets those who believe in Jesus Christ. If the shoe fits....

March 8, 2012 at 6:47 am |
  6. Me

Test

March 7, 2012 at 10:51 pm |
  7. Chad

Marriage noun: The social institution under which a man and woman establish their decision to live as husband and wife by legal commitments, religious ceremonies, etc. – Dictionary.com

March 7, 2012 at 10:50 pm |
    • False Dichotomy

Very good, Chad. But online dictionaries do not determine our laws nor our ethics. We get to choose those collectively and individually. The dictionary will change in accordance to them.

March 7, 2012 at 11:29 pm |
    • Chad

The Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) (Pub.L. 104-199, 110 Stat. 2419, enacted September 21, 1996, 1 U.S.C. § 7 and 28 U.S.C. § 1738C) is a United States federal law that defines marriage as the legal union of one man and one woman. The law passed both houses of Congress by large majorities and was signed into law by President Bill Clinton on September 21, 1996.

March 8, 2012 at 8:03 am |
    • False Dichotomy

Eight states have seen fit to override that. More coming soon.

March 8, 2012 at 8:44 am |
  8. False Dichotomy

When he says he believes marriage was ordained in the garden of eden, he means it. He truly believes that everything was created in 6 days and that all life originated in a magic garden just a few thousand years ago. You should check out his ministry with Ray Comfort, it's sad, disturbing, and funny at the same time. The banana video is awesome.

March 7, 2012 at 10:37 pm |
    • Frank

What is really hilarious is your caretully thought out answer of "I don't know"' .

HS summarizes your version pretty well(ROFL)

March 7, 2012 at 10:59 pm |
    • Observer

As HS calls it your ' big bang boom bah theory'. That is very funny indeed!
      Thanks for the laughs.

March 7, 2012 at 11:09 pm |
    • False Dichotomy

I'm lost, who is HS and what is "I dont' know" referring to?

March 7, 2012 at 11:31 pm |
    • Al

Who is HS?

High School. Frank is a senior this year.

March 8, 2012 at 1:20 am |
  9. Uk

I think it's great that he has spoken these horrendous views live on television, it shows what republicanism really stands for!

March 7, 2012 at 9:49 pm |
    • Moint

And OWS shows what liberalism stands for, communism and socialism, wanting the govt. to do everything for you. It's not a bed of roses, I promise.

March 7, 2012 at 10:28 pm |
    • Ozymandias71

"it shows what republicanism really stands for!"

Wow, you seriously don't know what 'republicanism' is, do you?

March 8, 2012 at 12:27 am |
    • Kirk

It's still a free country and Kirk C. is allowed to express his beliefs when asked. The sadness comes from people like you who want nothing but your views to be expressed.

March 8, 2012 at 6:49 am |
  10. momoya

Telling gay people that they can't get married because it's against your beliefs is like telling a person they can't eat donuts because you're on a diet.

quote, but I don't know where/who

March 7, 2012 at 9:47 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Props.

March 7, 2012 at 10:16 pm |
    • Johnny Blammo

That's pretty good. Quite accurate.

March 7, 2012 at 11:05 pm |
  11. fernace

I agree that Kirk Cameron has a right to his views, however, his arguement in support of them is less than factual! 1st, marriage pre-dates the bible, making it a human invention! 2nd, God did not sanction marriage "in the garden", as being "between 1 man & 1 woman," in fact it seems He also sanctioned bi.ga.my & pol.yg.amy during a large part of the Old Testament! It wasn't until the New Testament that we begin reading about the "1 man 1 woman" definition! What that shows me is that the "insti.tution" of marriage has been redefined many times in the bible! If you're going to use the bible as your "history book" & a guide to your morality, you should at least be familiar w/ITS history, so your arguement wont be so weak! I support marriage for any1 who wants to be married, providing it's between 2 consenting adults & the consti.tution has already promised that right! All votes, special legislation & bills concerning this subject are all geared to Taking Away that right! That's a devious move!!

March 7, 2012 at 9:35 pm |
    • Kirk

I suggest you study a little harder – your facts are simply not facts, nor are they accurate. K.C. is closer to the truth...

March 8, 2012 at 6:50 am |
  12. LinCA

Anyone who doesn't approve of same sex marriage is free not to enter into one. Not a single person, gay or straight, is forced to marry someone of their own sex. Not a single religious institution is required to perform same sex marriages.

Advocating for denying anyone the right to marry the person they choose, strictly based on your religion is bigotry. Your religion can only determine what you do, but never what anyone else does.

March 7, 2012 at 8:37 pm |
  13. Spittin'Bullitz

Does anyone really care what Kirk thinks? I certainly don't. The world is full of backward people, what else is new!

March 7, 2012 at 8:15 pm |
    • Kirk

How funny that you would call Mr. Cameron backward... really. He states his heartfelt and Christian beliefs, and you state what...your gay, lesbian beliefs. Division division division.

March 8, 2012 at 6:52 am |
  14. Sherrey

I applaud Kirk for speaking how he feels! We are supposed to live in a country that has freedom of religion and speech and if someone can't speak how they feel without being bashed for it is a darn shame!! Maybe if there was more Christian people out there in this world, like this man, there wouldn't be so many bad things happening!

March 7, 2012 at 8:11 pm |
    • Ozymandias71

So 'Freedom of Speech' only goes one way? So someone like Kirk Cameron can spout all sorts of nonsense directly at Gays and Lesbians and we're just supposed to 'not criticize'? Sorry – that was true back in the '50s but not today. We take our Freedom of Speech quite seriously.

March 7, 2012 at 8:16 pm |
    • sam stone

Sherrey: Who is taking away his free speech? Do we not have equivalent free speech to disagree with what he says?

March 7, 2012 at 9:05 pm |
  15. Keith

I think Kirk handled himself quite well.

March 7, 2012 at 7:55 pm |
    • Bob

He handles himself a lot.

March 7, 2012 at 7:56 pm |
    • Al

He handles himself a lot.

So he likes being handled by a man?

March 7, 2012 at 8:05 pm |
  16. Ozymandias71

Well, Piers *did* ask Kirk what he thought – and so Kirk answered honestly (even if we disagree with his opinion). However, we can (and should) use our Freedom of Speech to disagree, to criticize, and to point out the flaws in his theology – Freedom of Speech goes both ways, ya know.

"That is not true. I can assuredly say that it's my life's mission to love all people." See, anti-Gay pundits always wrap their rhetoric around the 'Oh I don't *hate* you' meme, counting on the fact that no one present is going to laugh and say 'Wow, can't you just feel the love? I sure don't!'

And Mr. Cameron, trust me, we don't.

March 7, 2012 at 7:52 pm |
    • Guest

You say "And Mr. Cameron, trust me, we don't.: ,,, I guess that lets us know which team you're batting for.

March 7, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
    • Ozymandias71

"Guest", you're quite correct. I bat for the Fabulous team! :)

March 8, 2012 at 12:29 am |
  17. Lourdes

Thank God for giving you the courage to be honest about God's standards it shows you are a real christian, some others pretend to be. Human behavior has always been decadent, but by God's mercy the world continues until the apointed time. To some of us he has touched our hearts and through his healing and mercy we have walked away from all those chains of sin we once falled into. I only hope for people to understand that God's wisdom is beyond human reasoning, the word of God speaks the truth and for some people this seems to be offensive, specially if they want to conduct their lives in an unpleasant way.

March 7, 2012 at 7:50 pm |
    • sam stone

It appears you are confusing "god's standards" with iron age man's

March 7, 2012 at 9:07 pm |
  18. TING

"That is not true. I can assuredly say that it's my life's mission to love all people." The part that Kirk omitted: "and to hate only those that the Bible conveniently instructs me to hate."

The Bible is an ancient book that is constantly used to support personal prejudices.

You hate gays? No problem. We've got something for that
    You hate woman? No problem
    You hate other races? Check
    You hate your parents? Check
    You hate your children? Gotcha covered
    You hate people that have other beliefs? No problem, the Bible has something for that too.

The list goes on. If you have a prejudice just turn to the Bible and I'm sure you will find the support that you've been looking for. Unlike the Discover Card, the Bible's prejudices are accepted almost world wide.

March 7, 2012 at 7:33 pm |
    • Guest

And it's apparent you just hate anyone who believes in the bible. Saves you the trouble of reading it doesn't it?

March 7, 2012 at 8:20 pm |
    • Ozymandias71

Ah yes 'Guest', a quaint diversionary post so you wouldn't actually have to address any of the points that TING made.

March 7, 2012 at 8:23 pm |
    • TING

Actually I spend way more time reading it now that I no longer believe it came from a deity. I find it very interesting. Try reading it with an open mind sometime. You will be very surprised what you can find in there. Shocking actually.

March 7, 2012 at 8:37 pm |
  19. Tracey

I just wrote a blog about my opinions as a Christian who supports gay marriage. I know that my views are pretty unorthodox and some even find them offensive, but I have to call 'em as I see 'em :) http://climbingoutblog.com/plucking-splinters/

March 7, 2012 at 7:31 pm |
    • EvolvedDNA

Tracey.. I have not read your blog but why would some find views offensive ..to who.? Christians have no special place or status that allows them to be immune from offence .. what ever that is? In most cases it is a word they use because they are unable to accept that their views carry no more weight than anyone else.

March 7, 2012 at 8:12 pm |
    • waitasec

people who stand with the courage of their convictions are to be commended ...

March 7, 2012 at 11:49 pm |
  20. Troy in Austin

Ahhh Kirk, please go to heaven, very soon. (Or anywhere no one will have to hear you.)

March 7, 2012 at 7:29 pm |