home
RSS
Evangelical leaders urged to mobilize against administration contraception policy
Chuck Colson is urging evangelicals to join with Catholics in a fight against a contracpetion mandate.
March 16th, 2012

By Jessica Yellin, CNN

(CNN)–An influential Christian leader is calling for the evangelical community to match the Catholic church's efforts mobilizing against the Obama administration's policy on contraception coverage.

"I'm asking evangelical churches to get as involved as the Catholic church has," said Chuck Colson, founder of the Prison Fellowship and the Christian radio broadcast Breakpoint. "Catechize members. If it's from the pulpit, that's fine. If by pastoral letter, that's fine. If by announcements at Bible studies, that's fine. The church in America is a sleeping giant. On an issue like this, it will be aroused."

Colson e-mailed more than 500,000 people of faith Thursday afternoon and called the contraception policy "the greatest threat to religious liberty in the history of this country."

The e-mail added, "We evangelicals need to take a page from the Roman Catholics. ... It would be difficult for a Catholic attending mass to avoid reading or hearing about this battle. ... I don't want to impugn anyone's motives, but the New York Times reported last week that the Obama administration is preparing a major campaign. It has programmed one million letters to influential women across America, energizing them over this issue."

The letter urges followers to frame this as a debate about religious freedom, not contraception, because it's a more effective way to sway public opinion.

CNN's Belief Blog – all the faith angles to the day's top stories

Colson concludes, "Brothers and sisters, let me tell you bluntly that if we don't win this battle, we lose not only religious freedom, but every freedom guaranteed by the Bill of Rights. When freedom of conscience is lost, history teaches that the rest follow quickly. So let's all join together. Contact your constituents and supporters. Why shouldn't every evangelical leader do what the Catholics are doing—start circulating to our own mailing lists explaining why this issue is NOT about contraceptives; it is about religious freedom. It's unprecedented. We must not stand idly by while our most precious freedom is imperiled."

In the coming weeks, Colson and other evangelical activists will participate in events designed to educate supporters to write letters to their members of Congress, attend rallies or support lawsuits on the policy.

Speaking to CNN, Colson invoked the Manhattan Declaration, an interfaith statement of unity defending pro-life and traditional marriage positions. "The 525,000 people who signed the Manhattan Declaration said we'll render unto Caesar what belongs to Caesar but not what belongs to God."

He added, "We're headed for the biggest constitutional clash between government and church in my lifetime, and it will hurt us both, and we cannot do that."

Colson spoke the same day the Obama administration released updated rules to its contraception policy. The update effectively restates the administration's position that women who work for religious institutions with moral objections to contraception can get birth-control pills and other reproductive health care directly though their insurers.

The policy also begins a process of public comment for religious institutions that fund their own insurance plans.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: 2012 Election • Belief • Christianity • Politics

1. libertybelle76

This is about religious liberty. It is not about contraception. If we lose this freedom many more will follow. If you think you are "safe" because you have rejected God and religion think again. This is not about contraception it is about control and the destruction of our system of government.

March 19, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

No, it isn't. It's about a secular nation of laws. If the church employs people, it must obey the laws that protect those people. It isn't exempt simply because it's a religious organization.

March 19, 2012 at 8:36 pm |
  2. Woody

I remember in the movie "All the President's Men" , Bob Woodward (Robert Redford) asks Harry Rosenfeld (Jack Warden) "who is Charles Colson?". Harry explains that he is special council to the President. Then he (Harry) claims Colson had a sign in his office stating "When you got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow". If true, that says a lot about the REAL Mr. Colson.

March 19, 2012 at 11:28 am |
    • Carleene

That was the Charles Colson of the mid-1970s – *not* the Charles Colson of many years since! I quote from http://www.spiritus-temporis.com/charles-colson/:

"In 1974 Colson pleaded nolo contendere (no contest) to obstruction of justice in the Ellsberg case. He was given a one-to-three year sentence. He served seven months in Maxwell Correctional Facility in Alabama.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Several months before his plea, Colson became an evangelical Christian. Editorial comics in several U. S. newspapers, as well as Newsweek and Time, ridiculed the conversion, claiming that it was a ploy to reduce his sentence.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

After his release from prison, Colson founded Prison Fellowship. Colson has worked to promote prisoner rehabilitation and reform of the prison system in the United States. He disdains the "lock 'em and leave 'em" warehousing approach to criminal justice. He led the effort that liberated Elizabeth Morgan from prison.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Colson has helped to create faith-based prisons whose populations come from inmates who choose to participate in them. He also maintains a variety of media channels which discusses contemporary issues from an Evangelical Protestant worldview. Colson is the author of over twenty books. The royalties from those books are donated to Prison Fellowship."
      This is the REAL Charles Colson of nearly 40 years later!

March 19, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

So what? That doesn't give him any say about anyone else's rights or freedoms. I don't give a ripe fig if he walks on water.

March 19, 2012 at 6:24 pm |
  3. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer really changes things .

March 19, 2012 at 7:36 am |
    • Jesus

You've been proven a liar over and over again on this blog. A great example of prayer proven not to work is the Christians in jail because prayer didn't work. For example: Susan Grady, who relied on prayer to heal her son. Nine-year-old Aaron Grady died and Susan Grady was arrested Friday morning...

Plus don't forget. The statistical studies from the nineteenth century and the three CCU studies on prayer are quite consistent with the fact that humanity is wasting a huge amount of time on a procedure that simply doesn’t work. Nonetheless, faith in prayer is so pervasive and deeply rooted, you can be sure believers will continue to devise future studies in a desperate effort to confirm their beliefs!!

March 19, 2012 at 8:04 am |
    • False Dichotomy

The best (most rigorous methodology) study on prayer was carried out by Duke University Medical School. It found prayer was not effective, and even less effective than the hokey quack medicine "techniques" which at least helped people by giving them positive human attention.

March 19, 2012 at 10:48 am |
    • christianpolifire

@False Dichotomy: so let me get this straight you had a scientific study done on prayer? well prayer is something of the metaphysical nature so therefore a scientific study of prayer is pointless.

March 19, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
    • christianpolifire

Correction @False Dichotomy: so let me get this straight you *quoted* a scientific study done on prayer? well prayer is something of the metaphysical nature so therefore a scientific study of prayer is pointless.

March 19, 2012 at 12:06 pm |
    • False Dichotomy

If the claim is that prayer results in a physical affect on the universe (and that is always the claim), then it falls squarely within the realm of observation, and therefore science.

The statement that "prayer changes things" is a very straightforward hypothesis. There are two variables: praying and things. Both of these are observable and measurable.

March 19, 2012 at 12:18 pm |
    • False Dichotomy

In other words, if you are claiming that prayer changes things in our world then it easily falls within the realm of scientific investigation. If you are saying that it does not change things in our world, then prayer is meaningless in the first place.

March 19, 2012 at 12:24 pm |
    • Primewonk

@ christianpollfire – google the STEP study. It was even run by christians. It showed that in post CABG patients – if you knew you were being prayed for, you had a higher rate of complications.

March 19, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
  4. MargaretW

Colson has three children and has been married twice. I think we can assume he used birth control.
    It's pretty easy to see that Colson is not calling for an end to contraception (because Protestants have always used it, and they might not be too interested in outlawing it) but a "catechism" of church members in a war against Obama. All these fundamentalist leaders are interested in one thing: political power, control, domination.

A "religious" organization that is a business has to operate by business rules. If you don't want to play by the rules, then don't play the game.

March 19, 2012 at 1:58 am |
  5. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things
    Proven
    Powerful
    Pervasive

March 18, 2012 at 8:07 pm |
    • warmesTghosT

You got the pervasive part right at least.

March 18, 2012 at 9:24 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

warmesT, I love your posts. I know you probably don't care, but I really enjoy your take on things.

March 18, 2012 at 9:35 pm |
    • warmesTghosT

@Tom

Thanks, I truly appreciate it, I try to put as much thought as I can into my posts. It feels vindicating that people identify with them.

You can be kind of abrasive, but I generally agree with your sentiments as well. Keep on, sister.

March 18, 2012 at 10:02 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Yeah, thanks. I don't much care if I'm "abrasive".

March 18, 2012 at 10:46 pm |
    • warmesTghosT

Me either.

March 18, 2012 at 10:49 pm |

Well, good. I feel better, then. 😉

March 18, 2012 at 11:06 pm |
  6. fernace

The only organization who can argue about "religious freedom" is a church! If you are a Business affiliated w/a religion, you should have to adhere to the same laws all other buisinesses have to! To any reasonable person equating the coverage of contraceptives to a "threat to religious freedom" is preposterous & frankly, sounds a bit hysterical! All the crazy comments agreeing w/this RR agenda, run in the "I don't want to subsidize a womans fornication" vein! But still nothing is being said, by ANY religious group about subsidizing mens fornication thru coverage of Viagara/vasectomies! Would that not also be a "threat" to religious freedom, or are the various churches saying men can fornicate, but if women do we threaten the very fabric of christianity! This issue is overblown & seems to be used as a detraction from the REAL issues, namely the Economy & Jobs & moving our nation forward!!

March 18, 2012 at 7:06 pm |
  7. GodsPeople

@Godpot: Maybe I can post this. Believe the little media much more often than the MSM. MSM is mainly for special interest.

@Paranoia: I have an e-mail in my inbox that tells me flat out they block messages. Try again.

@H-o-e-h-o-e, The N-i-g-g-e-r f-c-k-e-r: aren't you dead yet?

March 18, 2012 at 6:09 pm |
    • Paranoia Puncture

GodsPeople,

Maybe you could post a copy of the text in that email?

There is only an automatic filter here. I have been posting since the joint began and have never had a post blocked other than for the word-fragment deals. Perhaps there is an auto-setting for posting in too-quick succession (to inhibit spam)?

"Report Abuse" used to sort of work, but I'm not sure if it is even hooked up now.

March 18, 2012 at 6:20 pm |
    • GodsPeople

I'll do it when I get home. I don't have access to my e-mail right now, I'm at work.

March 18, 2012 at 6:22 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Yeah, don't let those fries get too brown, God's Poop.

March 18, 2012 at 6:55 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Who is "hoe-hoe", God'sPoop? Or is it anyone who dares question your brilliance?

March 18, 2012 at 6:58 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Little penis, big mouth.

March 18, 2012 at 9:06 pm |

CNNTech4@turner.com to me

show details Mar 5 (13 days ago)

Greetings,

Thank you for contacting CNN. Your comments have not been approved due to violation of CNN's Terms of Service: http://www.cnn.com/interactive_legal.html.

Best Regards,

CNN.com Technical Operations

March 18, 2012 at 11:30 pm |
    • GodsPeople

Basically, my comments tend to not be leftest in the slightest, and CNN likes to block me from posting them as often as possible.

March 18, 2012 at 11:31 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Well, gee. Maybe you should just take your precious wit elsewhere, Godspoop.

March 18, 2012 at 11:45 pm |
    • Paranoia Puncture

GodsPeople,

Thanks for posting that email text. Hmmm, I'm afraid that I don't quite know what to make of it. I have seen much more radical posts than yours appear and stick. I'm sure that you must have read the Terms of Service - anything else there, other than your political stance, that could be pertinent?

I did see you post the other day that you got an auto-message that you were posting too fast - could that be it?

Do let us know if you figure it out.

March 18, 2012 at 11:53 pm |
    • GodsPeople

@Paranoia: Mainly the only thing I can think is because I'm not leftist by any stretch and rarely agree with any leftist policies. I also don't hesitate to speak my mind about Obama or any other issue, and CNN really only wants leftist sheeple posting on their site, so that they can report "no dissent" to their AIPAC masters.

March 19, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
    • GodsPeople

@Paranoia: I think it's because I don't hesitate to speak actual truth. I speak out against the MSM, I speak out against multicultural diversity (because it doesn't work and it's proven), I speak out against Ob-on-go, I speak out against any and everything that I believe is wrong. IE: I'm not sheeple.

March 19, 2012 at 12:30 pm |
    • Paranoia Puncture

GodsPeople,

I think that you are mistaken about the reason that your post was rejected. Numerous posts by you (and by several others) along those right-wing lines appear here and remain posted. Even your cr@ppy "n"-word and "f"-word ones stay. You have not been banned from posting. I think you need to think it out again.

March 19, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
  8. M. D.

I'm not convinced that birth control pills are even safe. What if birth control pills are responsible to the very high incidence of autism in our society.

March 18, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What evidence do you have for this being even a remote possibility?

Do you fail to grasp the fact that autism was around BEFORE the pill was invented, you simpleton?

March 18, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
    • UncleBenny

What if religion is responsible to the very high incidence of autism in our society?

March 18, 2012 at 9:35 pm |
  9. Jackson

Face it, the church will not endorse birth control until altar boys start getting pregnant.

March 18, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
    • GodPot

The church already endorses birth control, as in they want the control over how births happens in America, and the pregnant women giving birth can go yell her opinion into a garbage can for all they care.

March 18, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
  10. rick

a bunch of old men legislating women's health issues. what hubris

March 18, 2012 at 3:07 am |
  11. cyndy

no MAN, priest, pastor, religion should tell a woman what to do with her body – if a woman did not use birth control, she would have at least 20 babies in her lifetime, dead, or serious obgyn issues, why not ban withdrawal and condoms also? they also prevent a child being born – do they honestly think ALL of today's women are not using birth control? come down on the pedophiles, not women. why does the average catholic family have only 2 or 3 children – because they are using birth control.

March 17, 2012 at 10:48 pm |
  12. warmesTghosT

I'm going to pull the race card. And maybe a couple others. I'm giving you fair warning now. Flame on.

It's fascinating to me that no American president before Barack Hussein Obama has been challenged so emphatically on the veracity of their claim to nationality. It's fascinating to me that no American president before Barack Hussein Obama has been so consistently questioned on the issue of his personal religion (JFK aside, and that's another point in and of itself). It's fascinating to me that so few of the Americans who are speaking up so vehemently now against Barack Hussein Obama were yelling nearly as loudly when our last president led us into the multi-decade global fiasco we find ourselves still mired in today.

It's fascinating to me as a 26 year old white male because it seems so clear that the old, rich, conservative white men that run our government are bucking violently at the impudent thought that a black man in the "White House" could possibly solve the problems his white predecessors so obviously caused.

It's fascinating to see that the "Main/Lame Stream Media" is so clearly corporately owned and feeding the public horsesh!t that any rational and curious human being ought be asking itself, 'what is the ulterior motive?'

CNN and its contemporaries should be viewed as entertainment at best. They (and Fox, and MSNBC, and to an extent the BBC) all pander to what their sponsors want YOU to hear. Think and search for yourselves, the X-Files were right. The Truth is out there.

Partisan politics and religion are being used to sway voting blocs. Politics and religion have married and their offspring is going to drown our Empire. We've almost always had good intentions, but our execution has ever been off. History will view us as a bittersweet memory, if we're lucky.

March 17, 2012 at 10:26 pm |
    • LinCA

It'd be almost funny, if it wasn't so incredibly sad.

March 18, 2012 at 3:47 am |
    • GodsPeople

No American President has ever been born in a foriegn country before, either.

March 18, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
    • GodPot

"No American President has ever been born in a foriegn country before, either."

You could have stopped at "No American President has ever been born in a foriegn country" because that is the truth, no matter how much you want there to be some 50 year old sinister conspiracy from some Kenyan Muslim cabal. And remember, your bible says your God hates liars.

March 18, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
    • Redundancy Ranger

Godpot,

Yeah, you caught him in a tridundancy!

March 18, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
    • GodsPeople

@GodPot: God does hate a liar, which is why Ob-on-go will burn. I, however, am the most honest person you will ever hear about.

March 18, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
    • GodPot

" I, however, am the most honest person you will ever hear about." Wow, lol.

"Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed that he does not fall." 1 Corinth 10:12

Talk about arrogance, but i'm sure your God will approve, since the one you serve was invented in your own head.

March 18, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
    • GodsPeople

@Godpot: I know God approves, because He approves of honesty and disapproves of false modesty. I don't lie. I don't see a need to, I don't like lies. I know how I feel if people lie to me, so why would I want to make anyone else feel that way? That's not to say I've always been this honest, back in the day when I was an Atheist, I lied all the time about everything. It was finding God and true morals and values that helped me change for the better.

Anyway, Ob-on-go wasn't born anywhere near this country. Do a google search for "green birth record proven fake" and you'll find the info.

March 18, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
    • Get Real

Godspeople,

Do a google search on "I was abducted by aliens" and you will get lots of info too...(About 3,040,000 results )

March 18, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
    • GodsPeople

@getreal: look at your username and then do so. Some people here really annoy me with their ignorance and stupidity. There's a difference between all the alien BS (which I do believe there's life out there, I just don't believe they're interested in US. I'm not even interested in us, and I live here and am one of us.) and actual expert testimony and step by step instructions on HOW TO SEE IT'S FAKE. Now please grow a brain stem so the rest can come along, fcktard.

March 18, 2012 at 2:34 pm |
    • Get Real

Godspeople,

It seems as if the brain stem is the ONLY part that is working in your case. Grow your cerebrum, kid.

March 18, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
    • GodsPeople

@getreal: "kid" lmao.. I'm likely older than you and most assuredly a LOT more intelligent than you are. Now get lost.

March 18, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
    • GodPot

So if it was "proven fake" then why is it only on conspiracy theorist websites with no actual legal backing or review? If it has been "proven fake" then it should be easy to show this so called "evidence" to the American media. Even Fox news who wants it to be true so badly they look like they might burst won't officially claim it's a "proven fake" because they know if they do they would have to provide actual evidence, which doesn't exist. They know it works better as an eluded to false narrative. If you only visited pro-Muslim websites you might think they had facts proving Christianity a lie, would you believe them too just because the claim is on a website somewhere? I have gotten past my frustration with you GP and am left with only pity.

March 18, 2012 at 3:00 pm |
    • Get Real

Godspeople,

I am heartened for the future of the world by some of the young people who post here, such as, warmesTghosT, Chuckles, bucky ball and others whose names don't immediately pop into mind, but you, sonny, well, **sigh**

March 18, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
    • GodsPeople

@GodPot: I wouldn't trust the mainstream media if they told me the sun would rise tomorrow. They report sensationalism and nothing else. They're so terrified of being labelled "rac-ist" that they won't "make it official." It's been proven the thing is photoshopped. The Governor of Hawaii can't actually find any birth records, which proof of can also be found online. You can't believe just anything, no. You can, however, believe experts and look at other birth records at the time to see how they were made.

March 18, 2012 at 3:09 pm |
    • NonCensus

@GodsPeople,

You want to talk about birth records? How about providing some for the purported most earth-shaking event since the beginning of time - the birth of your guy, Jesus.... and *anything* about his life that isn't hearsay, written by first century cult leaders.

March 18, 2012 at 3:18 pm |
    • GodsPeople

@Non-Census: You'd have to ask the Jews. I'm not Jewish, I have no access to their old records. Even honest Jews admit Jesus existed though, even if they're evil and won't admit He is the Messiah as God ordered them to do.

March 18, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
    • GodPot

Fox News Headline "Expert: No Doubt Obama's Birth Certificate Is Legit"

March 18, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
    • GodsPeople

Apparently CNN's decided to break the law and block my posts again.

March 18, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
    • Paranoia Puncture

GodsPeople - paranoia again? >twitch, twitch<

You know the drill...

March 18, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

GodsPeople, you must be related to that nimrod, Keith. You two idiots are unbelievable. What kind of moron really believes Obama was not born in this country?

Really, stop smokin' the drapes, fucktard.

March 18, 2012 at 5:19 pm |
    • Keith

Pro 13:16 Every prudent [man] dealeth with knowledge: but a fool layeth open [his] folly.

March 18, 2012 at 5:42 pm |
  13. bill

Wouldn't nationalized health care end this problem? Churches don't pay taxes so delicate moral convictions could remain intact. Their members could continue right along using bc like they already do and we wouldn't have to hear their sanctimonious child rapist spiritual leaders blathering on and on.

March 17, 2012 at 7:50 pm |
    • AGuest9

That was Hillary Clinton's pet project that everyone pooh-pooh'd. The greedy Boomers didn't realize that once they start turning 67, guess what Medicare is.

March 17, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
    • GodsPeople

@bill: would you trust this government to run a healthcare system? the idiots have already ran the country into the ground.

March 18, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
    • GodPot

" the idiots have already ran the country into the ground." Well, that's what they were busy doing during the Bush years which is why we are in such a huge hole, under Clinton we were making headway and had a balanced budget. But I forget sometimes that you don't operate on facts, just gut assumptions and blind faith in Fox pundits who have poisoned your heart against your fellow humans.

March 18, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
    • GodsPeople

@Godpot: again with the assumptions. I agree that Bush is the main reason we're in debt in the first place, and I agree Clinton did a wonderful job budget wise. I will say I'm not sure Ob-on-go can count (Sub-Saharan Africa has bad schooling) because the debt has done something like triple under his "leadership."

March 18, 2012 at 2:27 pm |
    • Nonimus

@bill,
      "Wouldn't nationalized health care end this problem?"
      Typical American understanding of "the system," and I'm American, too. Who do you think pays for nationalized health care?

So, instead of all the Catholic insti.tutions being up-in-arms about paying for contraceptives, you have a good portion of the entire country up-in-arms because their taxes are paying for contraceptives.

"Let the gubment pay for it," is the same as, "let me pay for it," for most people.

Note: I'm not necessarily against nationalized health care, but as reasons go, this one is crap... IMHO.

March 18, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

"Idiots have already ran...blah, blah, blah" You sound about as smart as a dung beetle.

Did you drop out of school in 9th grade or were you kicked out in 10th?

March 18, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
  14. TR6

This is really all about A BUNCH OF SELF RIGHTEOUS HYPOCRITES TRYING TO PREVENT WOMEN FROM SUBVERTING GOD’S WILL if god chooses to send her a baby (contraceptives); but, are delighted, to subvert god’s will if god chooses to send them pain (anesthetics) or infections (antibiotics) or prostate cancer (chemotherapy)

Christians (especially old white male christians) can be the most hypocritical, self serving, heartless, lying bunch of duchbags in the world

March 17, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
  15. David Katz

Should Jehovah's Witness be compelled to offer blood transfusions in their health insurance? Or is it only the Catholic hierarchy that merits the exemption,

March 17, 2012 at 4:56 pm |
    • TR6

If they are running a business (E.G. hospital), have real employees (E.G. SS, W2, etc) and offer health insurance? Of course they should, In fact I believe they must. Do you have an example where they don’t?

March 17, 2012 at 6:42 pm |
    • Jay

Jehovah's Witnesses allow individuals to make up their own minds on health insurance. They dont force their beliefs on employees who do not share their faith.

JW's have real faith and will not take blood for themsselves because they take God's view that blood is sacred. And since they follow Jesus' command to be no part of the world, they remain STRICTLY neutral on political matters

March 17, 2012 at 10:29 pm |
    • Jay

Just as an aside, Jehovah's Witnesses use birth control. They believe God designed s.e.x. to be pleasurable. Which makes obvious sense and explains the female org.a.sm.

March 17, 2012 at 10:39 pm |
    • GodPot

I think a better comparison would be whether Catholics believe that The Church of Christ (Christian Science) should have the right to be exempt from any employee benefit that provides health care in any way since they do not believe in using medicine or hospitals. But i'm sure most Catholics don't consider Christian Science or the JW's to be a real religion so they shouldn't get the same brand of religious freedom.

March 18, 2012 at 2:29 pm |
    • Jay

I dont know much about the "Christian Science" thing. But I know for a fact JW's use hospitals, go to doctors AND take medication. JW's DO NOT believe in faith healing & NOT seeking medical treatment when sick.

They want the best care for themselves and their families. Still, their stance on blood transfusions is based on God's view that blood is sacred.

March 19, 2012 at 8:00 am |
  16. RT

I thought that Christianity emphasized the ultimate accountability of every individual. So–why is it that we have Christian board-menbers (that is what they are after all) making decisions for individuals rather than permitting them to make their own choices? What are they afraid of?" Perhaps that we all will do just fine and they will lose control and their own power over others? I thought that religion was between an individual and God. We all have free will–supposedly gifted from God, and Jesus came to provide a living example of how to strive to model our lives.

March 17, 2012 at 4:52 pm |
  17. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things .

March 17, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
    • Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer cures alcoholism.
      Worked for me
      Proven

March 18, 2012 at 1:11 am |
    • just sayin

Prayer drove me to post the same three sentence fragments again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again,

hour after hour, day after day, until the days slip into scarlet screaming insanity and I bark at the moon while the neighbors hamster sends me telepathic instructions to repeat and repeat and repeat!!! WHERE IS MY TUBA?!?!?! I MUST HAVE ALFALFA, AND I MUST HAVE IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!

Because prayer changes things in your head. I must post again. I must repeat.

But I digress. Prayer changes things. Proven. Powerful.

March 18, 2012 at 4:41 am |
    • Katy46

Absolutely agree. However, prayer doesn't "cure" pregnancy. Prevention is key.

March 18, 2012 at 4:41 am |
    • just sayin

It is the policy of atheists on these blogs to steal names and post misleading and lying messages. The true nature of the atheist is coming out, lying, stealing and given the opportunity murder. As for me and my house we will serve the Lord.

March 18, 2012 at 7:32 am |
    • mandarax

So, you and your house are serving the Lord ... by baselessly accusing an entire group of people of being liars, cheaters, and murderers.

March 18, 2012 at 8:39 am |
    • just sayin

-Atheist murderers include Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot
      -Atheist cheaters, check out the stolen names on the blogs.
      Baseline established, was there anything else?

March 18, 2012 at 9:30 am |
    • mandarax

yes, dimwit, you missed the point entirely. You are accusing a group of millions of people of horrible things based on the (dubiously demonstrated) actions of a handful of people. That is the definition of stereotyping and prejudice.

March 18, 2012 at 9:36 am |
    • Bob

Nope, JS, you're still an addict. You've just changed your crutch from alcohol to the fairy tales of your religion. Your religion is just as empty of substance as the bottom of the bottles of cheap alcohol that addled your brain.

March 18, 2012 at 9:39 am |
    • Bob

just sayin, the murders by Stalin, horrid as they were, were not driven by any dictates or precepts of Atheism. It is a false comparison to state that those murders are part of Atheism and compare that with the many horrors of Christianity, as presented in the Christian book of nasty, the bible. Note that murders, rape, and sacrifice are explicitly demanded by your "loving" "god" in your bible.

The bible is very clear that you should sacrifice and burn an animal today because the smell makes your sicko Christian sky fairy happy.

Yes, the bible really says that, everyone. Yes, it's in Leviticus, look it up. Yes, Jesus purportedly said that the OT commands still apply. No exceptions. But even if you think the OT was god's mistaken first go around, you have to ask why a perfect, loving enti-ty would ever put such horrid instructions in there. If you think rationally at all, that is.

So get out your sacrificial knife or your nasty sky creature will torture you eternally. Or just take a closer look at your foolish supersti-tions, understand that they are just silly, and toss them into the dustbin with all the rest of the gods that man has created.

Ask the questions. Break the chains. Be free of religion in 2012.

March 18, 2012 at 9:45 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Following just sayin's line of logic, then:

just sayin lies about prayer, god, other posters, and history. just sayin is a Christian.

Therefore ALL Christians lie about prayer, god, other posters, and history.

March 18, 2012 at 12:01 pm |
    • Jesus

The statistical studies from the nineteenth century and the three CCU studies on prayer are quite consistent with the fact that humanity is wasting a huge amount of time on a procedure that simply doesn’t work. Nonetheless, faith in prayer is so pervasive and deeply rooted, you can be sure believers will continue to devise future studies in a desperate effort to confirm their beliefs!!! .. ....

March 18, 2012 at 1:21 pm |
    • GodPot

"-Atheist liars ? All of them. You must first lie to yourself to enter the realm of atheism after that lying becomes a way of life."

That is one of the funniest statements I think I've seen you make "just sayin". I mean even a child thinking about that for a moment might laugh. We are born atheist, most are taught to lie by their religion. Santa knows when you've been naughty & nice and might bring you presents(er, not really) The Easter bunny brings painted eggs (not really, just the Christian way of celebrating fertility) If you pray hard enough, anythings possible (not really, otherwise there would be no children dying of cancer or natural disasters wiping out thousands of people indiscriminately) the Church has always been right, except when they were wrong by supporting slavery, inequality, burning witches and the occasional genocide (see The papal Bulls, Rwanda, Yugoslavia and the Jewish holocaust).

The only way to not be an atheist is to lie to yourself, it's just most Christians teach their kid's lying for God is okay.

March 18, 2012 at 3:14 pm |
  18. Ex-GOP Con

It's time to tax the church and pay down this debt. If they're using funds to shelter pedophilic priests, and campaign against abortion, and gay marriage.....then it's time to tax them. No excuses.

March 17, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
    • 0G-No gods, ghosts or goblins

*If* they are?!? Of course they are! And they maintain their hypocrisy by not following their cult's rules, taking contraceptives and having 70% of the abortions in the USA, all the while trying to foist their values on everyone else. Please, please, vote for Obama and your local Democrats – any amount of debt is better than any theocracy. And we will get the debt anyway, regardless of which party is in power.

March 17, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  19. Ex-GOP Con

Isn't helping the needy and poor a more worthy goal?

Or is the church too busy protecting child-molesting priests?

March 17, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
  20. Reality

Condoms are available over the counter. Make the Pill available over the counter and there will be no more debate. Planned Parenthood can offer deep discounts for those who say they cannot afford said protection.

Or better yet, put a pack of condoms and a box of Pills in cereal boxes. Unfortunately, that would not ensure the condoms and/or Pills would be used. Based on Guttmacher Insti-tute data, said condoms and/or Pills are currently not be used as they should. (one million abortions/yr and 19 million cases of S-TDs/yr because either the daily Pill was not taken or a condom stayed in the pocket.)

Maybe selling Pill-enriched sodas??? Hmmm?

Condom-fitted briefs for men?? Hmmm?

The door is open for other ideas!!!

March 17, 2012 at 3:57 pm |

Shut it, you 'bot.

March 19, 2012 at 8:24 pm |
    • Reality

"The HIPAA Pr-ivacy Rule recognizes the legitimate need for pu-blic health authorities and others responsible for ensuring pu-blic health and safety to have ACCESS to protected health information to carry out their pu-blic health mission. The Rule also recognizes that pu-blic health reports made by covered ent-ities are an important means of identifying threats to the health and safety of the pu-blic at large, as well as individuals. Accordingly, the Rule permits covered enti-ties to disclose protected health information without authorization for specified pu-blic health purposes. "

March 19, 2012 at 11:20 pm |