home
RSS
Jews reclaim Jesus as one of their own
Some Jewish leaders are encouraging Jews to see Jesus as one of their own.
April 5th, 2012

Jews reclaim Jesus as one of their own

By Richard Allen Greene, CNN

(CNN) - The relationship between Jews and Jesus has traditionally been a complicated one, to say the least.

As his followers' message swept the ancient world, Jews who did not accept Jesus as the Messiah found themselves in the uncomfortable, and sometimes dangerous, position of being blamed for his death.

Mainstream Christian theology's position held that Judaism had been supplanted, the Jewish covenant with the divine no longer valid, because of the incarnation of God as Jesus and his sacrifice on the cross.

Jews, for their part, tended largely to ignore Jesus.

That's changing now.

In the past year, a spate of Jewish authors, from the popular to the rabbinic to the scholarly, have wrestled with what Jews should think about Jesus.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

And overwhelmingly, they are coming up with positive answers, urging their fellow Jews to learn about Jesus, understand him and claim him as one of their own.

"Jesus is a Jew. He spent his life talking to other Jews," said Amy-Jill Levine, co-editor of the recently released "Jewish Annotated New Testament."

"In reading the New Testament, I am often inspired, I am intrigued. I actually find myself becoming a better Jew because I become better informed about my own history," she said.

Rabbi Shmuley Boteach, a media personality who recently launched a bid for a U.S. House seat, argues in his own new book, "Kosher Jesus," that "Jews have much to learn from Jesus - and from Christianity as a whole - without accepting Jesus' divinity. There are many reasons for accepting Jesus as a man of great wisdom, beautiful ethical teachings, and profound Jewish patriotism."

And Benyamin Cohen, an Orthodox Jew who spent a recent year going to church, admitted that he's jealous that Christians have Jesus.

"He's a tangible icon that everybody can latch on to. Judaism doesn't have a superhero like that," said Cohen, the author of the 2009 book "My Jesus Year."

"I'm not advocating for Moses dolls," he said, but he argued that "it's hard to believe in a God you can't see. I'm jealous of Christians in that regard, that they have this physical manifestation of the divine that they can pray to.

"There could be more devout Jews than me who don't need that, but to a young Jew living in the 21st century, I wish we had something more tangible," he said.

The flurry of recent Jewish books on Jesus - including this month's publication of "The Jewish Gospels: The Story of the Jewish Christ" by Daniel Boyarin - is part of a trend of Jews taking pride in Jesus, interfaith expert Edward Kessler said.

"In the 1970s and 1980s, Christian New Testament scholars rediscovered the Jewish Jesus. They reminded all New Testament students that Jesus was Jewish," said Kessler, the director of the Woolf Institute in Cambridge, England, which focuses on relations between Jews, Christians and Muslims.

A generation later, that scholarship has percolated into Jewish thought, he said, welcoming the trend: "It's not a threat to Jews and it's not a threat to Christians."

For Jews in particular, he said, "It's not so threatening as it was even 30 years ago. There is almost a pride that Jesus was a Jew rather than an embarrassment about it."

Boteach agrees, writing in "Kosher Jesus" that "Jews will gain much from re-embracing him as a hero."

"The truth is important," Boteach writes. "A patriot of our people has been lost. Worse still, he's been painted as the father of a long and murderous tradition of anti-Semitism."

Boteach aims to claim, or reclaim, Jesus as a political rebel against Rome and to exonerate the Jews of his death. But Boteach's book has attracted plenty of criticism, for instance for blaming the Apostle Paul for everything he doesn't like about Christianity, such as hailing Jesus as divine and cutting his ties to Judaism.

"Paul never met Jesus, and Jesus certainly never would have sanctioned Paul's actions and embellishments," Boteach argues about the apostle who wrote much of the New Testament. "Jesus ... would have been appalled at how his followers would later define him."

"Jews will never accept his divinity. Nor should they," Boteach writes, in one of many instances of presuming to know what Jesus really thought and meant. "The belief that any man is God is an abomination to Judaism, a position that Jesus himself would maintain."

He cherry-picks the Gospels to to suit his arguments, writes in casual modern idioms (calling Pontius Pilate a "sadistic mass murderer" and comparing him to Hitler), and gets wrong the most basic details of the Passion story, such as the amount of money Judas took to betray Jesus.

Other experts in the field label Boteach's book "sensationalistic," and call him a "popularizer," but Kessler sees "Kosher Jesus" as part of the trend of Judaizing Jesus. Cohen, the "My Jesus Year" author, offered some support for Boteach even as he expressed doubts about the book.

"I understand what Shmuley is trying to get at there," he said, but added: "I don't think anyone has the right to say 'This is the definition of Jesus,' especially a rabbi. He's not ours to claim."

Levine, who teaches New Testament and Jewish studies at Vanderbilt University Divinity School, also framed Jewish efforts to study Jesus in terms of mutual respect.

"Speaking personally as a Jew, if I want my neighbors to respect Judaism, which means knowing something about Jewish history, scripture and tradition, I owe my Christian neighbors the same courtesy. It's a matter of respect," she said.

She urged Jews to "become familiar with the material and make up their own mind as to how they understand Jesus."

Ironically, she added, Jews can understand their own history more thoroughly through studying the life of Jesus.

"The best source on the period for Jewish history other than (the first-century historian) Josephus is the New Testament," she said.

"It's one of those ironies of history that the only Pharisee writing in the Second Temple period from whom we have records is Paul of Tarsus," she said. " 'The Jewish Annotated New Testament' is designed in part to help Jews recover their own history."

But she also wants Christians to use it to understand Judaism more deeply, she said. While many Christian leaders acknowledge that Jesus was a Jew, she said, not many know much about what that means.

"Many Christian ministers and educators have no training in what early Judaism was like," she said. "Not to take seriously first-century Judaism seems to dismiss part of the message of the New Testament."

Cohen, the "My Jesus Year" author, found that Christians were very interested in Judaism during the 52 weeks he spent going from church to church.

"Many Christians look on Judaism as version 1.0 of their own religion. Because of that historical relationship, they're interested in a lot of the theology of Judaism," he said.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

For his part, Cohen learned much that surprised him. "I was shocked when I went to church and heard them give sermons about the Old Testament," he said. "I had no idea Christians read the Old Testament."

"One week, I went to church and the pastor gave exactly the same sermon my rabbi did the night before about Moses and the burning bush, and the pastor did it much better," he continued.

Cohen came away from his Jesus year with a clear understanding of what he believes.

"People ask me all the time if I believe in Jesus. Do I believe he exists? Sure. Do I believe he's your God? Sure, I have no problem with that," he said he tells Christians who ask.

"I understand Christians' love for Jesus and I respect that," he said. "If anything, I learned a lot from them and did become a more engaged Jew, a better Jew, and I appreciate my Judaism more because I hung out with Jesus."

- Newsdesk editor, The CNN Wire

Filed under: Jesus • Judaism

soundoff (2,641 Responses)
  1. Robert Rabinoff

A little surprised that the work of Geza Vermes is nowhere mentioned in the article (although I haven't read the > 2K comments ) .

April 11, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
  2. Psalms

1 Praise the LORD, my soul.
    LORD my God, you are very great;
    you are clothed with splendor and majesty.

2 The LORD wraps himself in light as with a garment;
    he stretches out the heavens like a tent
    3 and lays the beams of his upper chambers on their waters.
    He makes the clouds his chariot
    and rides on the wings of the wind.
    4 He makes winds his messengers,[a]
    flames of fire his servants.

5 He set the earth on its foundations;
    it can never be moved.
    6 You covered it with the watery depths as with a garment;
    the waters stood above the mountains.
    7 But at your rebuke the waters fled,
    at the sound of your thunder they took to flight;
    8 they flowed over the mountains,
    they went down into the valleys,
    to the place you assigned for them.
    9 You set a boundary they cannot cross;
    never again will they cover the earth.

10 He makes springs pour water into the ravines;
    it flows between the mountains.
    11 They give water to all the beasts of the field;
    the wild donkeys quench their thirst.
    12 The birds of the sky nest by the waters;
    they sing among the branches.
    13 He waters the mountains from his upper chambers;
    the land is satisfied by the fruit of his work.
    14 He makes grass grow for the cattle,
    and plants for people to cultivate—
    bringing forth food from the earth:
    15 wine that gladdens human hearts,
    oil to make their faces shine,
    and bread that sustains their hearts.
    16 The trees of the LORD are well watered,
    the cedars of Lebanon that he planted.
    17 There the birds make their nests;
    the stork has its home in the junipers.
    18 The high mountains belong to the wild goats;
    the crags are a refuge for the hyrax.

19 He made the moon to mark the seasons,
    and the sun knows when to go down.
    20 You bring darkness, it becomes night,
    and all the beasts of the forest prowl.
    21 The lions roar for their prey
    and seek their food from God.
    22 The sun rises, and they steal away;
    they return and lie down in their dens.
    23 Then people go out to their work,
    to their labor until evening.

24 How many are your works, LORD!
    In wisdom you made them all;
    the earth is full of your creatures.
    25 There is the sea, vast and spacious,
    teeming with creatures beyond number—
    living things both large and small.
    26 There the ships go to and fro,
    and Leviathan, which you formed to frolic there.

27 All creatures look to you
    to give them their food at the proper time.
    28 When you give it to them,
    they gather it up;
    when you open your hand,
    they are satisfied with good things.
    29 When you hide your face,
    they are terrified;
    when you take away their breath,
    they die and return to the dust.
    30 When you send your Spirit,
    they are created,
    and you renew the face of the ground.

31 May the glory of the LORD endure forever;
    may the LORD rejoice in his works—
    32 he who looks at the earth, and it trembles,
    who touches the mountains, and they smoke.

33 I will sing to the LORD all my life;
    I will sing praise to my God as long as I live.
    34 May my meditation be pleasing to him,
    as I rejoice in the LORD.
    35 But may sinners vanish from the earth
    and the wicked be no more.

Praise the LORD, my soul.

Praise the LORD.

April 11, 2012 at 10:37 am |
    • Muneef

Praise the LORD the Creator of Universe and all Beings...
      Thank you for these sweet prayers.

April 11, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
  3. Canadajeff

since everybody here is trying to quote biblical references as "proof" of their argument, can we have some other, perhaps more scientific references, to back up the garbage that people are spouting? I haven't seen anything more convincing than "because my historical fiction novel says so, it IS so". I'm sure that I can find some stuff in the "Boomer Bible" that can contradict what each of you is claiming as fact, but I'm not so delusional to think that it IS fact. Lets get some quantifiable fact to support the "my God is better than your God and my religion is better than your religion" worldview that is the root of 99% of world conflict at present.

April 11, 2012 at 9:05 am |
    • Start Using Your Brain

That is a great request, Jeff. However, I suspect that no one here will offer you any because, really, none can exist. The desire to have intelligent discussion about religion falls apart when one of the debate participants offers passages from the bible as "evidence". The bible, an old book of questionable authorship, written generations after the events described therein were alleged to have happened, is EVIDENCE of nothing more than man's attempt to be closer to a deity, providing uneasy, purpose-seeking man with a clear line of descent to "Adam".

April 11, 2012 at 10:31 am |
    • Brampt

Using brains n Jeff – if religion is to blame for humanity problems, yes I agree, but don't forget that political regimes that claim to be non believers, are in part responsible for alot of problems for there citizens and the world. Ex: north Korea, Soviet Union, Comboya...etc. Why? Well cause as non believers they think they can treat people like animals, with out thinking that there responsible for there action to the almighty.

April 11, 2012 at 1:00 pm |
    • Brampt

Being a non believer is a big act of faith as well cause, who of you were alive and can tell exactly what happen since the beginning of the formation of the universe? Cience has explained alot of thing, but you can't deny that through out the time many scientific finding have became obsolete... Showing that human capacity to find out what is the purpose of us being her is limited.

April 11, 2012 at 1:06 pm |
    • Brampt

If we came from evolution, what happen to the monkeys? Did they stop evoluting ? If we came from evolution what's the point in trying to organize our selfs, having friends...etc it's a waist of time then... Why do we feel sad when someone we love dies?...etc, etc, etc.. It's said that everything came from a big explosion... How how the universe is organized, since the visible matter, until the littlest atom?? Did the house you live came from nothing? If your house is organized I'm sure u organized it... Try not to do maintenance at your house you will see what will happen eventually...

April 11, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
    • Brampt

Just analyze how everything works in this planet, you will find out that there had to be a very wise creator to build everything. About religion I agree with you, but I tell you right now that only 1% really have the right religion... The rest of these religions, are fake... Just like buying a fake adidas or Nike shirt...who knows the bible knows that the true Christian were never popular in between people, they were never many in comparison with mankind... That why soon Christ trough the will of his father is going to act and give deliverance to the meek ones on earth, but the bad will have to be cut for ever, because if not in a couple of decades there would be nothing in this earth....

April 11, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
    • Hear This

Brampt = most likely a "Poe", but there really *are* dopes like him out there...

April 11, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
    • Canadajeff

wowzas Brampt...thank goodness there is your god to explain everything. You're right, as we learn more about science, we learn that many of our original "scientific" hypotheses are incorrect–now, why can't your religion evolve to realize the same?

April 11, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
    • Canadajeff

Brampt: Political regimes that claim to be "non-religious" are absolutely religious. They believe in an infallible "leader" who can answer all and provide for all...sounds pretty religious to me...

April 11, 2012 at 1:38 pm |
    • Canadajeff

And Brampt: If i relied on God to build my house, I can't guarantee it would be much of a house. I relied on the science of physics for the design and on a good contractor to make it work. There was no God in the construction of my house. I didn't hire him and he wasn't there in the design or construction.

April 11, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
    • Canadajeff

oh, and Brampt? Animals are capable of feels and emotions as well. Don't think for a second that your "God" reserved complex thought and emotion only for "man" (and woman, of course). Animals also grieve for their dead mates.

April 11, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
    • Brampt

Ohh so Jeff, your a believer then... Which political guru u believe in?? :) so you believe in mortal man that on tv promise, promise, promise and behind our back is doing different?... Whos decisions are guided by other and by the economic corrupt sistem of this world...???

April 11, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
    • Brampt

Jeff- If course god has nothing to do with ur house, but didn't you house had an architect that designed it and workers that build it... If I told u that ur house came out of an explosion, u would think I'm doped!! Explosion creates distruccion not organization!!! And yes God has explained everything and it's written in the bible. What better you want then him acting cleaning our planet of bad people and give us the opportunity to live here forever under his rulership, and no interference of evil? Your science hasnt yet to expalin the future... Well what is pedicted by them is that continuing like there everything will dissapear in 50 years cause of pollution, global warming, an increase if the possibility of atomic wars.... What a hope ehh?? If I believed in what u believe i would be domed!!

April 11, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
    • Brampt

Hear this- you are even more doped then I... It's like me calling u stupid and leaving with out giving evidences why I called you stupid... Great!!!

April 11, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
    • Canadajeff

Brampt. i've seen no concrete evidence of any kind of God. If you actually read what I wrote, then you'd understand that I don't subscribe to any particular religious or political point of view, other than believing in the ability of our species. Which way we choose to take our species is up to us...not a god. Now, as for your thought that the universe has some order...i think that it is quite obvious that the universe lacks order. It appears that it is very chaotic and very destructive. I don't see any point in subscribing to the notion that we are some sort of god-chosen species, when we can say, with certainty that this "god-organized universe" will eventually kill the planet that we live on...but I guess that will happen when god turns out the light of the sun?

April 11, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
    • Canadajeff

Brampt: the problem with the bible is that it is a book, written by some guys. And the bible served those guys and a bunch of other guys since them pretty well. when it didn't serve those guys, it was "interpreted", so that it would serve the "new guys" better. And when the NEW new guys came along, the bible was RE-interpreted to suit their needs...and so on... By that notion, the Boomer Bible, which may or may not be the true "word of god"...depending on how many people subscribe to it, also predicts many things that have come to pass...so, it MUST be the true word. Now, for giggles, i had my future told once at a carnival. So far, the reader was correct more than incorrect. She certainly has no ability to see into the future, but should I believe she has special powers? I'm afraid that I can't believe everything that i read, otherwise, that great zombie book i'm currently reading would scare me in ways you couldn't imagine.

April 11, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
    • Start Using Your Brain

Brampt, you realize that nearly every element of your Christianity (you know the one, the only "religion") was taken from previous religions? The legends of Jesus rising from the dead, the great flood, all of that... they all came from other religions. You know that, right? if these other religions were wrong, how can you, who would profess to be sane, rationally conclude that Christianity is the correct religion?

April 11, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
    • Brampt

Jeff- Who put our planet with in the exact distante from the sun, so we dont burn or die to death? Who put the moon in earths orbit to give us deferent season, in order not to spin without control? Who created the magnetic field that protects us from objectes from space but at the same time allow sun rays to penetrate throug it in order what we need to leave here?? Oh i forgot it was a big explosion that for just randomness blew our solar sistem to and exact place in our milky way and puff...life came to be...Tell me does explosion produce order? When USA blew Hiroshima with the atomic bomb did it creat order?

April 11, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
    • Brampt

I agree that our earth and sun are expose to elements that can result in it to eventually be destroyed...but meanwhile God takes care of us nothing will happen to our planet the moon or the sun...hes takes care of his creations dont worry.

April 11, 2012 at 4:18 pm |

April 11, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
    • Brampt

Jeff- So you when to a palm reader during carnival?? To know your future, and you dont believe in God?? People normaly dont believe in God but they believe in ghosts...thats funny!! What is more fun is that people that go to hand readers and mediums, astrologers...etc are dealing with spirits that opose God and soon will suffer distruccion at his hands...!

April 11, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
    • That monologue is pathetic!
      April 11, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
    • Brampt

Using brain- of course i know Christianity comes from other religions...False Christianisam comes from other religions, i agree...and it happen aroun 200, 300 years after Christ when this emperor and big buisness men called Constantin founded the Fake Christianisam, it included on it non Christian teaching like...God is a trinity, Father son and holy ghost...Worship to "saints"...Hell of fire...inmortality of the soul... Beliefs that continued untill these days in 99% of chirstian religions. As i said before only 1 in between 40000 Christian confession hasnt let them to be contaminated by false teaching..! And i tell you this...the bible acually tell us that soon all religions False Christian religion will suffer total distruiccion, as God will put in the hearts of governmants to hate False religion, as the bible says...on False religion hands is the Blood of the people that died on earth!!

April 11, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
    • Canadajeff

Brampt: I paid $5.00 for some crazy lady to tell me half-truths about myself. I also went into the haunted house, but I didn't believe that it was actually haunted. I also went into the house of mirrors..didn't believe I was either as tall and skinny or short and fat as the mirrors showed...but I did it nonetheless. My point was not that i BELIEVED in the crazy lady, but that i DON'T believe the crazy lady. Just as i don't go to bed with the misleading comfort that a god will keep me safe and cozy from the destructive power of the cosmos. when a random cosmic event destroys life and likely the planet, it was through no design of a higher power..just crummy luck...and at that point, all of those silly magic bibles will be of no use, cause there won't be anyone left to worship any "gods"....a lonely place for all of those gods and no peones.

April 11, 2012 at 9:29 pm |
    • Start Using Your Brain

Brampt, I love your comment about "false Christianity"! I have news for you, apparently. Sit down, this may take you by surprise.... the "true" Christianity you believe that you have identified ALSO stole its elements from earlier religions. I would use the word "borrowed" instead of "stole", but since Christians seem to want to deny the fact that their religion had previous owners and is nothing more than a recycled set of legends and fables, "stole" is the correct word.

And I see that you still put stock in what the bible says, even after Jeff has tried to help you understand the history of the bible and of its interpretations. Why is that?

April 12, 2012 at 9:22 am |
    • Brampt

Using brain- I must disagree with the true religion borrowing beliefs. The true religion worships the same God that founded the universe, the earth and the first humans. The first humans worshiped him until they disobeyed God then others did as well like, Abel, Enoch, Noah... But awhile after the flood this men call Nimrod, witch the bible calls him " a mighty hunter in opposition to Jehovah" basically founded the beliefs of all religions of now a day, Muslims, hindus,... Beliefs that 99% of Christian religions adopted, were adopted 300 years after Christ.

April 12, 2012 at 10:31 am |

April 12, 2012 at 10:42 am |
    • Brampt

Nimrod of course was o toll used by this angel that rebelled against God, In order to keep humanity away from knowing the truth about God, that has been his purpose till today, I'll tell with sucesse because it even got to the point that what was good today is bad and what was bad today is good! His purpose is really distroy humanity... Today we live in a time were even scientists predict human extinction... Global warming, wars with atomic bombs, collapse at the markets that would make humans fight between each other for land... Etc!!

April 12, 2012 at 10:44 am |
    • Brampt

The same True God continued to be worshiped dispite of the problems, he was the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, then her formed a nation in order to accomplish his purpose, Israel. Through profecys he told them to expect a messiah that would relief mankind from sin and our planet from evil... The Israelites as nation didn't believe in Jesus as there messiah, they expected a political messiah... They were wrong . So God said that Israel wouldn't be the blessed nation anymore... Salmons temple was distroyed by the Romans in 70CE, so Now God is reunifying people of all nations to be blessed by him soon when His soon Jesus distroys this society as you know political sistem, commercial and the false religious sistem... In order to bring to peace opon earth to the meek ones.

April 12, 2012 at 10:54 am |
    • Brampt

Why I didn't listen to Jeff? Well he wasn't able to answer me the majority of the question I had for him , so I feel his knowledge of things is really limited. About the bible, I believe in it yes, cause of years of study. I wasn't guided by emotions, but by study. I was able to see that the bible is a unique book that give u answer to unimaginable things... With the bible studying toghether with investigating science and history, you can see how that's a unique book witch profecys have been accomplished to the detail, and science teaches me that he exists... U don't need to be that detailed to see that nature is a big evidence of an very inteligient thing had to create all things , God! And applying the bible in your like make me a better person everyday, and gives me hope for a near by future that's ruined by greedy and corrupted men, that are distroying humanity in general!

April 12, 2012 at 11:10 am |
    • Greg

Scientific? Quantifiable? These are human terms and limit the power of God. You search for proof that the universe exist...proof that everything is held together perfectly so that everything that does exist can exist? The eye can see the proof that there is a creator! Proof that in the heart of man there is a desire to seek out the creator...proof that there is evil in man's heart (the same heart that is seeking for the creator)? Who can look outside of time and see the beginning from the end? There is a true God, the maker of everything seen and unseen. The fact that there is a God means that someone is right and someone is wrong! It’s everyone’s responsibility to discern the truth about God with fear and trembling. Jesus said he was God; He left no room for ambiguity. What will you do with the Truth? Don’t be like Pontius Pilate (“What is truth?”).

April 12, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
    • Brampt

Greg- even though I agree with we Beeing created... I can't agree with the fact of Jesus being God... Go down and check my conversation with NOMEN guy and tell me what u think. Jesus as God myth came 200, 300 years after he died when Constantine ruled the so called church of that time and under the Nicea meeting with catholic priest formed the God father, god son, and god holy ghost!! Read 1 corinthians 15:24-27, n Phil 2:5-11!

April 12, 2012 at 12:50 pm |
  4. David

Let the same mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus,
    who, though he was in the form of God,
    did not regard equality with God
    as something to be exploited,
    but emptied himself,
    taking the form of a slave,
    being born in human likeness.
    And being found in human form,
    he humbled himself
    and became obedient to the point of death–
    even death on a cross.
    Therefore God also highly exalted him
    and gave him the name
    that is above every name,
    so that at the name of Jesus
    every knee should bend,
    in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
    and every tongue should confess
    that Jesus Christ is Lord,
    to the glory of God the Father (Phil 2:5-11).

April 11, 2012 at 8:58 am |
    • Shalom

Christ, prior to becoming human, was in the form of God and possessed equality with God. Then, in light of his obedient death, God exalted him and gave him the very name of God so that all creation might bow before him and worship him as Lord. Clearly Jesus is no longer in the “merely human” category.

April 11, 2012 at 9:01 am |
    • Canadajeff

Shalom...it's not really that clear, actually. It doesn't make any logical sense.

April 11, 2012 at 9:06 am |
  5. Use your brain

Jesus was most definitely a Jew and had no intention of ever becoming a Christian. But he, like many other apocalypticists of his day, was plain and simply wrong. The end didn't come then, as he predicted, and still hasn't. All the Kingdom of God on Earth stuff (which the Christians later perverted) sounded hopeful to people then but it just didn't happen. Sorry but there's just no getting around the fact that he was wrong.

April 11, 2012 at 1:17 am |
    • Paul

That's right Jesus was never a Christian. A Christian is a follower of Christ. The name "Christian" was not taken on until around 36CE, three years after Jesus was killed. Acts 11:26

April 11, 2012 at 3:01 am |
    • Paul

He did not predict the end for his life time, but he did precict the end of the Jewish system and the end of ours. The Jewish system did get destryoed in 70CE by the Romans. As he predicted the encircled the city with pointed stakes in 66CE and left suddenly for no reason giving the Christians the opportunity to leave as he promised would happen. Luke 19:41-44; Mark 13:14

April 11, 2012 at 3:14 am |
    • Paul

Everything he promised to come for our time is here. Like no other time in history, Nation against Nation, in our life time we have seen two world wars and since then there has been very few days of peace like no other time. Earth Quakes in "great earth quakes in one place after another", like no other time in history this has come true. Food shortages, at a time when we have advanced in technology a huge percentage of the world is starving, 1 in 3 in some countries. Pestilence, at a time when science claim to have rid the planet of many common diseases we are still plagued with many diseases that maim and killed milions of people every year.

April 11, 2012 at 3:28 am |
    • Oldster

Paul,

Did you take this from something that was written in the 1950s or thereabouts? You must be REALLY old if WWI was in your lifetime! Nation against nation - duh! Great earthquakes have been happening all over the Earth ever since it hatched - there is no evidence of any increased activity. Food shortages - nothing new; and of course not every disease has been controlled/conquered yet. Buck up, boy.

April 11, 2012 at 4:17 am |
  6. ksb

"I'm jealous of Christians in that regard, that they have this physical manifestation of the divine that they can pray to."

What a crock this article is! The fundamental premise of Judiasm, the premise that the patriarch Abraham realized, is that God has NO PHYSICAL MANIFESTATION. This is the premise upon which the Jewish religion was founded. No jew would ever say he was jealous of the lack of a physical manifestation of God.

I can only assume that, like every single 'Jew for Jesus' I have ever personally encountered, they are actually Christians pretending to be Jews so as to sell an idea (or a book.)

April 10, 2012 at 10:48 pm |
  7. Psalm 104

1 Praise the LORD, my soul.
    LORD my God, you are very great;
    you are clothed with splendor and majesty.

2 The LORD wraps himself in light as with a garment;
    he stretches out the heavens like a tent
    3 and lays the beams of his upper chambers on their waters.
    He makes the clouds his chariot
    and rides on the wings of the wind.
    4 He makes winds his messengers,[a]
    flames of fire his servants.

5 He set the earth on its foundations;
    it can never be moved.
    6 You covered it with the watery depths as with a garment;
    the waters stood above the mountains.
    7 But at your rebuke the waters fled,
    at the sound of your thunder they took to flight;
    8 they flowed over the mountains,
    they went down into the valleys,
    to the place you assigned for them.
    9 You set a boundary they cannot cross;
    never again will they cover the earth.

10 He makes springs pour water into the ravines;
    it flows between the mountains.
    11 They give water to all the beasts of the field;
    the wild donkeys quench their thirst.
    12 The birds of the sky nest by the waters;
    they sing among the branches.
    13 He waters the mountains from his upper chambers;
    the land is satisfied by the fruit of his work.
    14 He makes grass grow for the cattle,
    and plants for people to cultivate—
    bringing forth food from the earth:
    15 wine that gladdens human hearts,
    oil to make their faces shine,
    and bread that sustains their hearts.
    16 The trees of the LORD are well watered,
    the cedars of Lebanon that he planted.
    17 There the birds make their nests;
    the stork has its home in the junipers.
    18 The high mountains belong to the wild goats;
    the crags are a refuge for the hyrax.

19 He made the moon to mark the seasons,
    and the sun knows when to go down.
    20 You bring darkness, it becomes night,
    and all the beasts of the forest prowl.
    21 The lions roar for their prey
    and seek their food from God.
    22 The sun rises, and they steal away;
    they return and lie down in their dens.
    23 Then people go out to their work,
    to their labor until evening.

24 How many are your works, LORD!
    In wisdom you made them all;
    the earth is full of your creatures.
    25 There is the sea, vast and spacious,
    teeming with creatures beyond number—
    living things both large and small.
    26 There the ships go to and fro,
    and Leviathan, which you formed to frolic there.

27 All creatures look to you
    to give them their food at the proper time.
    28 When you give it to them,
    they gather it up;
    when you open your hand,
    they are satisfied with good things.
    29 When you hide your face,
    they are terrified;
    when you take away their breath,
    they die and return to the dust.
    30 When you send your Spirit,
    they are created,
    and you renew the face of the ground.

31 May the glory of the LORD endure forever;
    may the LORD rejoice in his works—
    32 he who looks at the earth, and it trembles,
    who touches the mountains, and they smoke.

33 I will sing to the LORD all my life;
    I will sing praise to my God as long as I live.
    34 May my meditation be pleasing to him,
    as I rejoice in the LORD.
    35 But may sinners vanish from the earth
    and the wicked be no more.

Praise the LORD, my soul.

Praise the LORD.

April 10, 2012 at 10:08 pm |
    • Start Using Your Brain

When I saw this, I immediately thought "Jesus Christ..."

April 11, 2012 at 8:50 am |
  8. Iqbal Khan

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKfRsd2qcek&w=640&h=390]

April 10, 2012 at 9:05 pm |
  9. Muneef

westexan.

You know what as it seems that in the end Moses (saw) has led the Twelve Tribes of Ishmael through the exudes from Egypt and not Israel....!?

“ And as for Ishmael, I have heard you: I will surely bless him; I will make him fruitful and will greatly increase his numbers. He will be the father of 12 rulers, and I will make them into a great nation. ”
    —Genesis 17:20

The 12 Tribes of Ishmael

April 10, 2012 at 8:26 pm |
    • Caleb

Ah, but the important verse is missing in your quote above
      Lets read Genesis 17 and complete it, shall we?

21 But my covenant will I establish with Isaac, which Sarah shall bear unto thee at this set time in the next year.

April 10, 2012 at 9:00 pm |
    • Muneef

I admit that it was a tease only since the Quran clearly states that the Children of Israel were in the exodus led by Moses (saw)..

April 11, 2012 at 6:40 pm |
  10. Phillipians 2:6

:6 Who being in the essential form – The inco<b<mmunicable nature. Of God – From eternity, as he was afterward in the form of man; real God, as real man. Counted it no act of robbery – That is the precise meaning of the words, – no invasion of another's prerogative, but his own strict and unquestionable right. To be equal with God – the word here translated equal, occurs in the adjective form five or six times in the New Testament, Mt 20:12; Lu 6:34; Joh 5:18; Ac 11:17; Re 21:16. In all which places it expresses not a bare resemblance, but a real and proper equalitg. It here implies both the fulness and the supreme height of the Godhead; to which are opposed, he emptied and he humbled himself.
    –Study from the Bible

JESUS is GOD.

April 10, 2012 at 7:34 pm |

Yep.

April 10, 2012 at 7:36 pm |
    • Brampt

Phil 2:6 and a half, cause your just quoting half a text....the other half says: "Phil 2:6 says:"...gave no consideration to a seizure, namely, that he should be equal to God." Read also Acts 7:55...Psalm 110:1...Matt 25:64...! Stop naming man made Books!!

April 10, 2012 at 7:59 pm |
    • Nomen

Brampt: Stop naming man made books? Oh please. Here's a list of man made books you cited just a few minutes ago: "he claims to be Yahweh? Just because he uses the: I AM? give me a brake... Those txts dont prove nothing: exemple John 8:58 were he uses the expression I AM, in diferent translations: "From before Abraham was, I have been." The New Testament, by G. R. Noyes.; "I existed before Abraham was born!" The Bible—An American Translation, by J. M. P. Smith and E. J. Goodspeed.; "Before Abraham was born, I was already the one that I am." Das Neue Testament, by Jörg Zink.; "I was alive before Abraham was born!" The Simple English Bible.; "Before Abraham came into existence, I have been." New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures."

April 10, 2012 at 8:02 pm |
    • Brampt

Study from scriptures doesnt sound like no Bible translation to me!!

April 10, 2012 at 8:08 pm |
    • Brampt

Thats why you people dont know about the bible, you are like the pharisees...BIG education...BIg blalala, but you dont know nothing really!!

April 10, 2012 at 8:13 pm |
    • John 14:6

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

April 10, 2012 at 8:17 pm |
    • Daniel

The word of God is found in the Bible, all other writing claiming to know Jesus and saying he was man is blasphemy against God.

April 10, 2012 at 8:19 pm |
  11. Brampt

With many good translations, and with so much info in the net, dont really need to learn greek...gets you more confused!!

April 10, 2012 at 7:08 pm |
    • Nomen

This is risible. So we can actually read the NT better by NOT learning the language in which it was written? Spare me...

April 10, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
    • Brampt

Nome-John 1:1 is very controversial vers. Parts of the scriptures were delibratly changed trough the century's, so with in many translaters theres alot of debate. So in order to understand the text you need to see the context and see if it applies, in John 1:1 and other bible texts that can give the idea a Jesus being God, is very controversial, since the bible never puts Jesus being God himself. What a like of respect towards Jesus Father making Jesus the same or superior to him!

April 10, 2012 at 7:22 pm |
    • Brampt

Learning Greek can help, but its not the main solution...why do scholers still contradict themself about meaning of works of the new and old testments, and we have many diferent translations??

April 10, 2012 at 7:25 pm |
    • Nomen

If you can cite one "scholar" who denies that Jesus makes claims to divinity in the Gospel of John, let me know.

April 10, 2012 at 7:26 pm |
    • Brampt

Phil 2:6 goes well with Acts 7:55...When Steven was about to die, who did he see at the right hand of GOD? And with Matt 25:64, look that up? or with Psalm 110:1...What does Yahweh tell the Lord?? look that up as well?

April 10, 2012 at 7:30 pm |
    • Nomen

Yes, let's look at that passage. In Matthew 22:41-46, Jesus plainly cites Psalm 110 as a proof of his own divinity. He points out that David himself recognized another as "Lord" who was able to speak to YHWH on equal terms, and Jesus claims that he himself is that "Lord."

April 10, 2012 at 7:35 pm |
    • Brampt

Nomen- Dont run away from answering Acts 7:55 and Matt 25:64...! Matt 22:41-46 just proves once again that hes at the right hand of Yahweh, but with a more clear view that the Lord sitting at the right hand of Yahweh was a profecy in many to be accomplished in Jesus!

April 10, 2012 at 7:54 pm |
    • Nomen

Yep. The eternally-begotten divine Son of God is indeed seated at his divine Father's right hand. Oh and, by the way, "prophecy" is the proper spelling. If you are convinced that learning Greek is not that important, you might as well learn some English.

April 10, 2012 at 7:57 pm |
    • Brampt

Nomen- about my english i know its not perfect...im an immigrant trying to write fast. Dont have much schooling as well...but one thing i know after these conversations...is that even though you know greek and maybe have a Degree, you dont know nothing about the scriptures...i think you should learn to be more humble...Jesus said that the kindom of heavens belongs to the ones that recives his teaching like children. You were OWENED!!

April 10, 2012 at 8:07 pm |
    • Start Using Your Brain

Brampt, you speak about humility, but your posts prove that you are NOWHERE near as smart as you think you are. Some humility would serve you well.

April 11, 2012 at 8:54 am |
  12. Nomen

Jesus was a Jew. Jesus claimed divinity by claiming for himself the prerogatives of YHWH. Both points are plainly stated in the New Testament which is our only credible historical witness to his words and deeds. So enough with the obfuscations. Jesus is either God, as he claimed, or a blaspheming Jew. The attempt to describe him as a "hero" is completely pointless and ignorant of the historical record. He said what he said; accept it or not.

April 10, 2012 at 7:06 pm |

April 10, 2012 at 7:10 pm |
    • Bob

Nome-Agree 100%

April 10, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
    • Brampt

John 1:1 is very controversial vers. Parts of the scriptures were delibratly changed trough the century's, so with in many translaters theres alot of debate. So in order to understand the text you need to see the context and see if it applies, in John 1:1 and other bible texts that can give the idea a Jesus being God, is very controversial, since the bible never puts Jesus being God himself. What a like of respect towards Jesus Father making Jesus the same or superior to him!!

April 10, 2012 at 7:21 pm |
    • Nomen

Jesus repeatedly claims to be YHWH in the Gospel of John: John 6:35, 8:12, 10:9, 10:11, 11:25, 14:6, 15:5. Guess those responsible for "changing" the text missed those passages....

April 10, 2012 at 7:25 pm |
    • Brampt

Nomen- he claims to be Yahweh? Just because he uses the: I AM? give me a brake... Those txts dont prove nothing: exemple John 8:58 were he uses the expression I AM, in diferent translations: "From before Abraham was, I have been." The New Testament, by G. R. Noyes.; "I existed before Abraham was born!" The Bible—An American Translation, by J. M. P. Smith and E. J. Goodspeed.; "Before Abraham was born, I was already the one that I am." Das Neue Testament, by Jörg Zink.; "I was alive before Abraham was born!" The Simple English Bible.; "Before Abraham came into existence, I have been." New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures.

April 10, 2012 at 7:45 pm |
    • Nomen

Brampt: I am very happy to give you a break. If you want a "brake", I think you'd better try Mieneke. As all of those translations confirm, Jesus claimed to be pre-existent to Abraham. All of the "I am" statements I cited are clear references to Exdous 3:14. What are you suggesting? That Jesus was a pre-existent divine being not equal to God? Paging Dr. Arius....

April 10, 2012 at 7:54 pm |
    • Brampt

Of course. Thats what the bible quotes. But ill let you do that homework cause i dont have more time to spend!

April 10, 2012 at 8:02 pm |
  13. Daniel

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=videoseries&w=640&h=390]

April 10, 2012 at 7:03 pm |
    • Iqbal Khan

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIqihqoS12A&w=640&h=390]

April 10, 2012 at 9:04 pm |
  14. Muneef

westexan.
    Have to watch and listen what you are saying...you are calling Abraham (saw) an adulator here and that he had illegitimate son...!? Abraham married Hager by the consent of his first wife because she was not able to give him son...and therefore Ismael was his elder son and Issac was the second after a while of time.
    Secondly we are all of Adam and Eve and no one is better than the other except by deeds... Forget that story of the chosen people and masters of the world calling the rest as illegitimate and slaves... Oh my GOD I hate such mentalities...this way you are calling all the nations of the world of other than the children of Israel as illegitimate and should have been slaves to the chosen masters of the world...!? Man you are totally wrong and misled we are nothing but one nation of Adam and Eve and slavery was only caused by wars that led to slavery unto this date only now it has a different name of flesh trade...!

April 10, 2012 at 6:54 pm |
    • Muneef

Say, [O Muhammad], "I do not tell you that I have the depositories [containing the provision] of Allah or that I know the unseen, nor do I tell you that I am an angel. I only follow what is revealed to me." Say, "Is the blind equivalent to the seeing? Then will you not give thought?" 6:50
      ---
      And when you, [O Muhammad], do not bring them a sign, they say, "Why have you not contrived it?" Say, "I only follow what is revealed to me from my Lord. This [Qur'an] is enlightenment from your Lord and guidance and mercy for a people who believe." 7:203
      --–
      And when Our verses are recited to them as clear evidences, those who do not expect the meeting with Us say, "Bring us a Qur'an other than this or change it." Say, [O Muhammad], "It is not for me to change it on my own accord. I only follow what is revealed to me. Indeed I fear, if I should disobey my Lord, the punishment of a tremendous Day." 10:15
      --–
      Say, [O Muhammad], "The Pure Spirit has brought it down from your Lord in truth to make firm those who believe and as guidance and good tidings to the Muslims." 16:102
      --–
      Say, "I am only a man like you, to whom has been revealed that your god is one God. So whoever would hope for the meeting with his Lord – let him do righteous work and not associate in the worship of his Lord anyone." 18:110
      ---
      O Prophet, fear Allah and do not obey the disbelievers and the hypocrites. Indeed, Allah is ever Knowing and Wise. 33:1

And follow that which is revealed to you from your Lord. Indeed Allah is ever, with what you do, Acquainted. 33:2

And rely upon Allah ; and sufficient is Allah as Disposer of affairs. 33:3
      --–
      Say, O [Muhammad], "I am only a man like you to whom it has been revealed that your god is but one God; so take a straight course to Him and seek His forgiveness." And woe to those who associate others with Allah – 41:6
      ---
      And it is not for any human being that Allah should speak to him except by revelation or from behind a part-ition or that He sends a messenger to reveal, by His permission, what He wills. Indeed, He is Most High and Wise. 42:51

And thus We have revealed to you an inspiration of Our command. You did not know what is the Book or [what is] faith, but We have made it a light by which We guide whom We will of Our servants. And indeed, [O Muhammad], you guide to a straight path – 42:52

The path of Allah , to whom belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth. Unquestionably, to Allah do [all] matters evolve. 42:53
      --–

April 10, 2012 at 6:57 pm |
  15. Agent 5

Jews are no different from anyone else...for they too are stupid minion folks. Anyone with an educated brain today following a book of sorts from leftover scarps of belief from some unknown long ago tribes of delinquent desert marauders are something other than themselves and just plain nuts. Gee whiz Jimmy, I see that Superman et al... is in paper print too...I guess I believe in Superman as our savior. When will he arrive? The real treat of lifting this rubbish baggage of tricks of smoke with mirrors show off the backs of REAL thinking humans will be when the last pope is hung by the entrails of the last priest. Only then will MAN be truly free to escape the silly bounds of the past. Hey, know the saying? 'Lets move on"....SO LETS MOVE ON.

April 10, 2012 at 6:35 pm |
    • Nomen

Snore. So "thinking" human beings should hang one of their own by the entrails of another? If that's your vision of "educated" humanity, I'll stick with religion.

April 10, 2012 at 6:38 pm |
  16. Elaine Cantalupo

No wonder that world is so much trouble. Reading the delusional comments on this comment board is frightening, especially knowing these people are allowed to walk freely among us. America should be handing out LSD free of charge to put everyone in a better frame of mind. Seeing what some fervently believe and their distortions of what is standard knowledge of Biblical teachings, shows just how much religions have twisted their tenets to favor their own standing.
    It is easier to believe in Mother Nature.

April 10, 2012 at 6:03 pm |
  17. Brampt

Jesus was a jew, the books that the jews follow are full of profecys regarding the Messiah, all profecys accomplished in Jesus. But Jesus as a jew didnt consider himself as beeing God, he worshiped the same God that the jews worshiped at that time, Yahweh. When Jesus got baptized a voice came from heaven saying: "this is my son, the one i love, listen to him! He even prayed to God...

April 10, 2012 at 6:00 pm |
  18. cj messina

The article's statement that "mainstream theology" has subscribed to the "replacement theology" school of thought needs some clarification. The 'liturgical churches', that is those churches that are either Roman Catholic or have 'evolved' from the R.C. Church follow the notion espoused by replacement theology. However, most evangelical churches (of which I am a pastor of) refute replacement theology(belief that the Jews have been replaced by the church), instead we know that the Bible teaches that the promises made by God to Abraham,Issac and Jacob are still in effect-Gen.12:1-3 also shows that the replacement theology driven churches are "cursed"- thus this explains why liturgical churches are so spiritually corrupt! The Jewish people are God's Chosen, lets not forget this!

April 10, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
    • Nomen

Good try Protestant dude. But the Catholic Church plainly repudiated any "replacement" theology or supercessionist view of the covenant in Nostra Aetate of 1965.

April 10, 2012 at 6:31 pm |
  19. Nathan

No, he never said that. Jesus never outright proclaimed his divinity. And for all of his teaching about love and acceptance, I'm pretty sure he would appreciate anyone who listened to what he preached. To be a Christian, you have to accept Christ's divinity. A devout Jew can still find great value in Jesus' teachings without believing that he is God. Regardless of his divinity, Jesus had some wonderful teachings that all people could benefit from.

April 10, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
    • Nomen

Actually, he did. In both Mark and John he dares to apply the tetragrammaton to himself. See Mk 14:62 and any number of "I am" statements in John.

April 10, 2012 at 6:29 pm |

April 10, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
  20. Dalri

Jesus without divinity is not Jesus. He claimed it outright, so you have to accept it or reject him along with it.

April 10, 2012 at 2:27 pm |
    • Gospels

Very true!. To know who Jesus is we have to read what Jesus said about himself and that is found in the Bible. Mortal men that came after Jesus can all claim to know who Jesus is but their belief does not change the fact that Jesus is the Messiah, the Savior and Lord of all. Jesus is God.

April 10, 2012 at 6:07 pm |
    • Brampt

NO Jesus is not God...Who did he pray to? Whos voice came from heaven saying: "this is my son? Why in 1Corinthians 15:24-28 says that Jesus as the heavenly appointed King by God, when he accomplishes hes job as a King in heaven, gives the kindom to his God, that he will "become subjected to his Father"?

April 10, 2012 at 6:16 pm |
    • Nomen

Brampt: As long as we're quoting Scripture, you might want to have a look at John 1:1-14 in which the divinity of Jesus is plainly stated. You might also consult numerous other passages in the same Gospel wherein Jesus publicly acknowledges his divinity. Oh yea, and there's that Letter to the Hebrews too. Might want to do your homework before making such foolish claims about the teaching of the New Testament. Just a thought.

April 10, 2012 at 6:35 pm |
    • Brampt

Nomen- First of all you know that John 1:1 has diferent Translations right? Depending on the transalters right? But its no problem cause in ver 2 it says:" He was in the beginnig WITH GOD...Doesnt say He was GOD... !!! Weak evidences you have!! Homework for you, read Philip 2:5-11, what you say about that?

April 10, 2012 at 6:51 pm |
    • Nomen

Brampt: "Ἐν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ Λόγος, καὶ ὁ Λόγος ἦν πρὸς τὸν Θεόν, καὶ Θεός ἦν ὁ Λόγος," ...and the Word was God (καὶ Θεός ἦν ὁ Λόγος,). Seems pretty clear to me. Phil 2:6 only confirms my point.

April 10, 2012 at 6:58 pm |

April 10, 2012 at 6:58 pm |
    • Gospels

Jesus is GOD.

April 10, 2012 at 6:59 pm |
    • Nomen

While we're at it, let's have a look at Phil 2:6: ὃς ἐν μορφῇ θεοῦ. "Who, though he was in the form of God..." Might want to learn Greek, pal.

April 10, 2012 at 7:02 pm |
    • Brampt

Phil 2:6 says:"who, although he was existing in God’s form, gave no consideration to a seizure, namely, that he should be equal to God." Nomen- you forgot the read untill the end of the text!!

April 10, 2012 at 7:05 pm |
    • Nomen

Actually, the text reads ὑπάρχων οὐχ ἁρπαγμὸν ἡγήσατο τὸ εἶναι ἴσα θεῷ. He did not deem equality with God something to be clung to. This is whole point of the passage: Jesus, though he was God, emptied himself to take human form. Still waiting for your reply on John 1 by the way.

April 10, 2012 at 7:09 pm |