home
RSS
Jews reclaim Jesus as one of their own
Some Jewish leaders are encouraging Jews to see Jesus as one of their own.
April 5th, 2012

Jews reclaim Jesus as one of their own

By Richard Allen Greene, CNN

(CNN) - The relationship between Jews and Jesus has traditionally been a complicated one, to say the least.

As his followers' message swept the ancient world, Jews who did not accept Jesus as the Messiah found themselves in the uncomfortable, and sometimes dangerous, position of being blamed for his death.

Mainstream Christian theology's position held that Judaism had been supplanted, the Jewish covenant with the divine no longer valid, because of the incarnation of God as Jesus and his sacrifice on the cross.

Jews, for their part, tended largely to ignore Jesus.

That's changing now.

In the past year, a spate of Jewish authors, from the popular to the rabbinic to the scholarly, have wrestled with what Jews should think about Jesus.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

And overwhelmingly, they are coming up with positive answers, urging their fellow Jews to learn about Jesus, understand him and claim him as one of their own.

"Jesus is a Jew. He spent his life talking to other Jews," said Amy-Jill Levine, co-editor of the recently released "Jewish Annotated New Testament."

"In reading the New Testament, I am often inspired, I am intrigued. I actually find myself becoming a better Jew because I become better informed about my own history," she said.

Rabbi Shmuley Boteach, a media personality who recently launched a bid for a U.S. House seat, argues in his own new book, "Kosher Jesus," that "Jews have much to learn from Jesus - and from Christianity as a whole - without accepting Jesus' divinity. There are many reasons for accepting Jesus as a man of great wisdom, beautiful ethical teachings, and profound Jewish patriotism."

And Benyamin Cohen, an Orthodox Jew who spent a recent year going to church, admitted that he's jealous that Christians have Jesus.

"He's a tangible icon that everybody can latch on to. Judaism doesn't have a superhero like that," said Cohen, the author of the 2009 book "My Jesus Year."

"I'm not advocating for Moses dolls," he said, but he argued that "it's hard to believe in a God you can't see. I'm jealous of Christians in that regard, that they have this physical manifestation of the divine that they can pray to.

"There could be more devout Jews than me who don't need that, but to a young Jew living in the 21st century, I wish we had something more tangible," he said.

The flurry of recent Jewish books on Jesus - including this month's publication of "The Jewish Gospels: The Story of the Jewish Christ" by Daniel Boyarin - is part of a trend of Jews taking pride in Jesus, interfaith expert Edward Kessler said.

"In the 1970s and 1980s, Christian New Testament scholars rediscovered the Jewish Jesus. They reminded all New Testament students that Jesus was Jewish," said Kessler, the director of the Woolf Institute in Cambridge, England, which focuses on relations between Jews, Christians and Muslims.

A generation later, that scholarship has percolated into Jewish thought, he said, welcoming the trend: "It's not a threat to Jews and it's not a threat to Christians."

For Jews in particular, he said, "It's not so threatening as it was even 30 years ago. There is almost a pride that Jesus was a Jew rather than an embarrassment about it."

Boteach agrees, writing in "Kosher Jesus" that "Jews will gain much from re-embracing him as a hero."

"The truth is important," Boteach writes. "A patriot of our people has been lost. Worse still, he's been painted as the father of a long and murderous tradition of anti-Semitism."

Boteach aims to claim, or reclaim, Jesus as a political rebel against Rome and to exonerate the Jews of his death. But Boteach's book has attracted plenty of criticism, for instance for blaming the Apostle Paul for everything he doesn't like about Christianity, such as hailing Jesus as divine and cutting his ties to Judaism.

"Paul never met Jesus, and Jesus certainly never would have sanctioned Paul's actions and embellishments," Boteach argues about the apostle who wrote much of the New Testament. "Jesus ... would have been appalled at how his followers would later define him."

"Jews will never accept his divinity. Nor should they," Boteach writes, in one of many instances of presuming to know what Jesus really thought and meant. "The belief that any man is God is an abomination to Judaism, a position that Jesus himself would maintain."

He cherry-picks the Gospels to to suit his arguments, writes in casual modern idioms (calling Pontius Pilate a "sadistic mass murderer" and comparing him to Hitler), and gets wrong the most basic details of the Passion story, such as the amount of money Judas took to betray Jesus.

Other experts in the field label Boteach's book "sensationalistic," and call him a "popularizer," but Kessler sees "Kosher Jesus" as part of the trend of Judaizing Jesus. Cohen, the "My Jesus Year" author, offered some support for Boteach even as he expressed doubts about the book.

"I understand what Shmuley is trying to get at there," he said, but added: "I don't think anyone has the right to say 'This is the definition of Jesus,' especially a rabbi. He's not ours to claim."

Levine, who teaches New Testament and Jewish studies at Vanderbilt University Divinity School, also framed Jewish efforts to study Jesus in terms of mutual respect.

"Speaking personally as a Jew, if I want my neighbors to respect Judaism, which means knowing something about Jewish history, scripture and tradition, I owe my Christian neighbors the same courtesy. It's a matter of respect," she said.

She urged Jews to "become familiar with the material and make up their own mind as to how they understand Jesus."

Ironically, she added, Jews can understand their own history more thoroughly through studying the life of Jesus.

"The best source on the period for Jewish history other than (the first-century historian) Josephus is the New Testament," she said.

"It's one of those ironies of history that the only Pharisee writing in the Second Temple period from whom we have records is Paul of Tarsus," she said. " 'The Jewish Annotated New Testament' is designed in part to help Jews recover their own history."

But she also wants Christians to use it to understand Judaism more deeply, she said. While many Christian leaders acknowledge that Jesus was a Jew, she said, not many know much about what that means.

"Many Christian ministers and educators have no training in what early Judaism was like," she said. "Not to take seriously first-century Judaism seems to dismiss part of the message of the New Testament."

Cohen, the "My Jesus Year" author, found that Christians were very interested in Judaism during the 52 weeks he spent going from church to church.

"Many Christians look on Judaism as version 1.0 of their own religion. Because of that historical relationship, they're interested in a lot of the theology of Judaism," he said.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

For his part, Cohen learned much that surprised him. "I was shocked when I went to church and heard them give sermons about the Old Testament," he said. "I had no idea Christians read the Old Testament."

"One week, I went to church and the pastor gave exactly the same sermon my rabbi did the night before about Moses and the burning bush, and the pastor did it much better," he continued.

Cohen came away from his Jesus year with a clear understanding of what he believes.

"People ask me all the time if I believe in Jesus. Do I believe he exists? Sure. Do I believe he's your God? Sure, I have no problem with that," he said he tells Christians who ask.

"I understand Christians' love for Jesus and I respect that," he said. "If anything, I learned a lot from them and did become a more engaged Jew, a better Jew, and I appreciate my Judaism more because I hung out with Jesus."

- Newsdesk editor, The CNN Wire

Filed under: Jesus • Judaism

soundoff (2,641 Responses)
  1. Sam Gold

The only thing Jews and Muslims have in common is that they reject the idea that Jesus is son of god.
    lol

Anyways I believe that Jesus was neither Jew or Christian but Muslim

April 21, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
  2. satanlovesvulva

What's next, Jews reclaim Muhammad the other prophet? after that is the Dali Lama followed by the Pope...

All religion is crap. All religion believe in imaginary and invisible beings. In order to believe in these beings, they tell you that you must have faith that these invisible beings are out in space somewhere and also around us. What a pile of hot horse crap.

I got an idea, why don't you people that believe in invisible and imaginary beings get together in one place and all shout towards the sky and call your imaginary friend. If your imaginary god does not answer your calling, then just go home and leave people alone. Stop trying to make people, that are sane, believe in the crap that you want to believe in.

Satan must now go how and eat hot and fresh and juicy vulva. satan has left building.

April 21, 2012 at 10:38 am |
    • Kellee

Ok so let me get this straight you don't believe in God, but you believe in Satan. It is astounding how many ignorant people are in America. You can't believe in Satan unless you believe in God they go hand in hand.

April 30, 2012 at 1:23 pm |

Messiah to ascend to heaven Psalm 68:18 Luke 24:51
    Acts 1:9
    Homage and tribute paid to Messiah by great kings Psalm 72:10-11 Matthew 2:1-11
    Messiah to be a priest like Melchizedek Psalm 110:4 Hebrews 5:5-6
    Messiah to be at the right hand of God Psalm 110:1 Matthew 26:64
    Hebrews 1:3
    Messiah, the stone which the builders rejected, to become the head cornerstone Psalm 118:22-23
    Isaiah 8:14-15
    Isaiah 28:16 Matthew 21:42-43
    Acts 4:11
    Romans 9:32-33
    Ephesians 2:20
    1 Peter 2:6-8
    Messiah to be born of a virgin Isaiah 7:14 Matthew 1:18-25
    Luke 1:26-35
    Galilee to be the first area of Messiah's ministry Isaiah 9:1-8 Matthew 4:12-16
    Messiah will be meek and mild Isaiah 42:2-3
    Isaiah 53:7 Matthew 12:18-20
    Matthew 26:62-63

April 21, 2012 at 8:12 am |
    • Suleiman the Magnificent

You people are an abomination. May Allah take into his bosom very soon

April 21, 2012 at 8:18 am |
    • Sean

Dear Jews for Jesus org- God Bless you!

April 21, 2012 at 8:44 am |
  4. Suleiman the Magnificent

Help me understand: God send his Son, who knows God's design, down to us to die for our sins. The Romans, who didn't let conquered provinces do anything the Romans didn't approve washed their hands of the whole thing? Judas was a traitor, when Jesus knew everything all alone? Jesus prays to God asking forgiveness for the Jews, when all's pre-ordained? The Romans really covered up their doo doo in Nicae, once they realised what a deed they pulled.

April 21, 2012 at 8:06 am |
    • Muneef

But when Jesus felt [persistence in] disbelief from them, he said, "Who are my supporters for [the cause of] Allah ?" The disciples said," We are supporters for Allah . We have believed in Allah and testify that we are Muslims [submitting to Him]. 3:52

Our Lord, we have believed in what You revealed and have followed the messenger Jesus, so register us among the witnesses [to truth]." 3:53

And the disbelievers planned, but Allah planned. And Allah is the best of planners. 3:54

[Mention] when Allah said, "O Jesus, indeed I will take you and raise you to Myself and purify you from those who disbelieve and make those who follow you [in submission to Allah alone] superior to those who disbelieve until the Day of Resurrection. Then to Me is your return, and I will judge between you concerning that in which you used to differ. 3:55

And as for those who disbelieved, I will punish them with a severe punishment in this world and the Hereafter, and they will have no helpers." 3:56

But as for those who believed and did righteous deeds, He will give them in full their rewards, and Allah does not like the wrongdoers. 3:57

This is what We recite to you, [O Muhammad], of [Our] verses and the precise [and wise] message. 3:58

And [remember] when I inspired to the disciples, "Believe in Me and in My messenger Jesus." They said, "We have believed, so bear witness that indeed we are Muslims [in submission to Allah ]." 5:111

[And remember] when the disciples said, "O Jesus, Son of Mary, can your Lord send down to us a table [spread with food] from the heaven? [Jesus] said," Fear Allah , if you should be believers." 5:112

They said, "We wish to eat from it and let our hearts be reassured and know that you have been truthful to us and be among its witnesses." 5:113

Said Jesus, the son of Mary, "O Allah , our Lord, send down to us a table [spread with food] from the heaven to be for us a festival for the first of us and the last of us and a sign from You. And provide for us, and You are the best of providers." 5:114

Allah said, "Indeed, I will sent it down to you, but whoever disbelieves afterwards from among you – then indeed will I punish him with a punishment by which I have not punished anyone among the worlds." 5:115
      ----

O you who have believed, be supporters of Allah , as when Jesus, the son of Mary, said to the disciples, "Who are my supporters for Allah ?" The disciples said, "We are supporters of Allah ." And a faction of the Children of Israel believed and a faction disbelieved. So We supported those who believed against their enemy, and they became dominant. 61:14

April 21, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
  5. Derp

md22whatever is like a Jewish Neo-nazi who insists that we don't understand how it really was for the down-trodden tribes of Israel as they plundered and murdered their way around the Middle East as barbaric as anyone else in those days.

Nothin special, yet the crazy Jewish extremist will type out a thousand-page manifesto right here. We are so lucky aren't we?

April 21, 2012 at 7:12 am |
    • md2205

I stand by what I say; I am not going to go through a whole list of wars perpetrated upon the Jews and who did what to justify what I said. It is upon you to research both the Torah and how the Jews reacted to those who attacked them, and unbiased, credible historical sources which provide accurate information about how the nations conducted themselves in those days, and then present your findings as information and not just wild accusations based on nothing but your imagination.

April 22, 2012 at 1:52 am |
  6. augustghost

jesus was just a man who was lost and looking for spirituality...Paul was the promo guy who did not like Jews and used jesus as a pawn to start a new religion away from the jews. .....Don't you think it's odd that Jesus(a Jew) never married and had children (supposidly) and that he was the son of God yet he was a lowley carpenter.....and why is it there is nothing said about his life between ages 13-32 (approximately)??

April 21, 2012 at 6:49 am |
    • hey bud....c'mere....

shhhh!

THEY don't want you to know that!

April 21, 2012 at 7:01 am |
    • gliderbee

Paul was a jew, you idiot. He didn't hate Jews. It's amazing how ignorant and hateful some of the people/comments are here. Btw, Jews for Jesus really is a great org, I agree with that comment. I love their pamphlets!

April 21, 2012 at 11:02 am |
    • md2205

There is a great website about Judaism that every Jew should look into first before looking into other religions. It is called chabad.org. Before rejecting one's own religion, one should learn about it in depth to know what it is he is rejecting.

April 23, 2012 at 1:12 am |
  7. Muneef

And even if We had sent down to you, [O Muhammad], a written scripture on a page and they touched it with their hands, the disbelievers would say, "This is not but obvious magic." 6:7

And they say, "Why was there not sent down to him an angel?" But if We had sent down an angel, the matter would have been decided; then they would not be reprieved. 6:8

And if We had made him an angel, We would have made him [appear as] a man, and We would have covered them with that in which they cover themselves. 6:9

And already were messengers ridiculed before you, but those who mocked them were enveloped by that which they used to ridicule. 6:10

Say, "Travel through the land; then observe how was the end of the deniers."
    6:11

Say, "To whom belongs whatever is in the heavens and earth?" Say, "To Allah ." He has decreed upon Himself mercy. He will surely assemble you for the Day of Resurrection, about which there is no doubt. Those who will lose themselves [that Day] do not believe. 6:12

And to Him belongs that which reposes by night and by day, and He is the Hearing, the Knowing. 6:13

Say, "Is it other than Allah I should take as a protector, Creator of the heavens and the earth, while it is He who feeds and is not fed?" Say, [O Muhammad], "Indeed, I have been commanded to be the first [among you] who submit [to Allah ] and [was commanded], 'Do not ever be of the polytheists.' "
    6:14

Say, "Indeed I fear, if I should disobey my Lord, the punishment of a tremendous Day." 6:15

He from whom it is averted that Day – [ Allah ] has granted him mercy. And that is the clear attainment. 6:16

April 20, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
    • Suleiman the Magnificent

So, now that you have proven you memorised Qur'an, what can you tell us that comes out of your brain. What is you opinion about anything? You can choose to be a parrot, reciting without knowing, or, you can express a genuine opinion. Anything?

April 21, 2012 at 8:00 am |
    • Muneef

Waw.what a strnog and a beautiful screen name you had chosen to use... I have full respect to that and I think I know who is behind it say a nice person I came across in the past who used to use then a screen name that I forgot but starts I think with an (R).
      Any way dear I will be glad to help with my limited knowledge of English if you think you couldn't understand it although it is written in English and I thought it is self explanatory...but if you couldn't then to enable me to help, you have to first tell me what did you think you understood or otherwise you can tell me which part of it you did not understand to enable me to help and it will be my pleasure to do so. ;)

April 21, 2012 at 4:55 pm |
    • Muneef

May be this site of Tafsir could help you better if you are interested;

April 21, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
  8. Hal Wheeler

My LAST word: It's a shanda that there can't be an open and friendly dialogue without so much arrogance and closed minds. Most of these comments I have read reveal only superficial understanding of the faith of either Jew or Christian. I am no smarter than any of you, but I'm as dumb as some of you either.

April 20, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
  9. Praise Jesus

Some say that one has to either believe that Jesus is the Son of God or that he was a lunatic. A person cannot claim him to be a great teacher of ethical and morale, if he is not the "Son of God" then he is a liar and a fraud of "biblical proportions".
    Interestingly, most people that claim to be God today we label as delusional or schizophenic.

April 20, 2012 at 10:30 am |
  10. christa

jesus was a muslim as were all the prophets. look it up.
    also christians falsely deify jesus, and jews deny him.
    simple fact.
    now lets all quit fighting over it!

April 19, 2012 at 11:24 pm |
    • David

It is an interesting arguement to "look it up." I look it up in the authoritative discussion of Jesus. In the testament of God to his people, both the New and Old Testaments. There is no mention of faith there as Mohammad wouldn't have been born for hundreds and hundreds of years. As you said, look it up.

April 20, 2012 at 11:46 am |
    • Mickey2006

Your ignorance is soo huge, it's amazing how can someone be a "muslim" centuries before the first muslim ever existed.

April 20, 2012 at 1:40 pm |
  11. Luis Cipher

Typical Jews. Always grabbing for more. I think they burned this bridge though, or in this case nailed it to a cross. Jesus hates Jews.

April 19, 2012 at 9:36 pm |
    • David

Jesus didn't and doesn't hate Jews. Jesus was raised in the Jewish faith. His mother, father and relatives were Jews. Are you saying that he hated his parents? While Jesus suffered on the cross, he prayed to God the Father asking for forgiveness fo them, for they didn't know what they were doing. There is absolutely no evidence that Jesus hated Jews. The Jewish people had worshiped the one true God since before the time of Abraham. Jesus was honored by this true worship by those who truely worshipped God. The story of the New Testament isn't about hatred for the Jews. It does point out that many people in the name of God do evil things that are against God's teachings. That lesson is very appropriate for us today as many people continue to do evil and hurt others in the name of God. Hatred is one of those things that is evil. The New Testament teaches us to hate only sin and to go beyond that is a sin towards God.

April 20, 2012 at 11:09 am |
    • Hal Wheeler

Your phony name reveals your malicious mind. Your comments aren't even worthy of a response and you know that. I don't even think you're smart enough to be ignorant.

April 20, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
  12. Joe

Nice to see the old gang get back together.
    Jews, still harping on how they are God's chosen people. That is until Moses goes up the mountain for a while (to get the 10 Commandments no less) and they get bored, build a golden calf and run around naked for a while at a big party. Not learning ther lesson, later they tell Moses that no way are they going into Caanan becaue the people are too strong and no way could we beat them (even with God's help). Good for you guys. Would up wandering in the desert for 40 years. Eventually lost your whole country.

Christians, come on people. That condesending way of telling everyone they are wrong sucks. Treat others like you would want to be treated.

Athiests, really? I mean seriously really? You claim there is no god but harp on others belief in God evey chance you get. You are free from guilt. Why argue with others on these boards? Aren't you smarter than everyone else?

April 19, 2012 at 7:34 pm |
    • Derp

Aren't we allowed to talk to our Christian opponents and help them by pointing out their errors in an entertaining way?
      What happened to our free speech rights?

April 21, 2012 at 7:05 am |
  13. Van

Imagine a day without Jews, Christians, Muslims,I denounce you all as arrogant and petty. I just watched people jumping out of the world trade center on 9/11,on youtube. This is what religion does to society. You can not truly be free until you denounce all religion. We are humans from earth. jeffersonhour.org

April 19, 2012 at 5:55 pm |
    • Michael

Van, religion did not crash planes into the WTC; hatred and ignorance of other's beliefs crashed the planes...people who think like you Van.

April 19, 2012 at 10:50 pm |
    • David

A day without Christians, Jews and Muslims would take man's desire for God out of the earth. You can debate the validity of these faiths, but you can't debate that the basic tennants of faith lead one to a desire to do better. You might argue that in the name of these faiths, great harm has been done. Indeed, man in his perversion of God has done evil. However, the essense of these faiths are to point us towards God. If you take God out of the world, evil will reign. The Bible teaches that will happen in the future. Mankind will one day see the result of not having God in the world, and it won't be a pretty sight. One final thought, you argue that it is the faith that creates the evil, but the true cause of the evil is man's sinful nature. It's not God. In fact, man's sinful nature is one reason God communes with us. If we rely totally on our human nature, then evil will reign. Thankfully, God gives us a way to do better.

April 20, 2012 at 11:33 am |
  14. leah8

I'm Jewish and it will be a cold day in the netherworld before I believe in your messiah again. tried that route before until got a little knowledge and actually read what the Bible says, something the majority of Christians haven't done (the statistics on this are astounding!) The fact of the matter is that Jesus absolutely did not fulfill the Messianic prophecies. You can only make it true if you distort our Tanakh and take it out of context. Even at that it's a stretch. I'm working very hard in the counter-missionary movement to bring Jews back. Just leave us alone. We resent you for what you are doing to Jews. We are none of your business.

April 19, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
    • David

It might be true that the Jew's are not the Christian's business. However, God came first to the Jews and then to the gentiles. God made all people His business. It's God's desire to have a spiritual relationship with every person who has ever lived. One could argue that for thousands of years, "christians" business with Jews was not Godly. However, Christians today realize that error and enjoy the basis of our faith, that basis is in our love of the testament of God to his people. We love the symbolism of God's provision for us in the escape from Egypt, the providence for his people in the lives of Abraham, Issac and Joseph, we love the basis of conduct provided by the commandments. We Christians believe we are Jewish in many senses and that our common love of the God of Abraham, Issac and Joesph gives us great commonality even with the Jews that made the decision long ago not to follow Jesus.

April 20, 2012 at 11:42 am |
  15. Secular Jew

To believe in a Jewish Jesus, I would first have to be convinced that "Jesus" refers to a real, historical figure. No such luck here, as nothing was written about "Him" for so many decades after "His" supposed death.
    As for a even a Jewish Moses, I would need tangible evidence of an archaeological nature out of the Sinai for the Jewish Exodus. No such luck here, either.

April 19, 2012 at 3:37 pm |
    • md2205

There is not always tangible evidence of everything we believe. There are some things people believe even without tangible evidence. For example, people believe that species evolved out of other species and that people came from monkeys, but there is no tangible evidence of this. They say eventually evidence will be found. If this is what you believe, and if you want to be intellectually honest, then you have to apply this thinking process to other areas as well. For example, that Moses existed. Even if there is no archeological evidence of that now, there will be in the future, because Moses saved some of the manna in a jar and it was displayed in the Temple until the Temple was destroyed. Someone from that time hid it and it will be found at some point. The stone of the Ten Commandments as well were kept in the Temple, and they were hidden as well until such time as they are found.

The account in the Torah says that the Jews left Egypt and crossed the Red Sea, and the Egyptian soldiers in their chariots pulled by horses followed them and were drowned in the receding waters. A wheel from a chariot of the type that Egypt used during that time period, along with human and horse bones, were found in the Red Sea.

There is enough information to even name the Pharoah who ruled at the time of the Exodus. His statue which archeologists found in Egypt looks exactly the way his appearance was written in the Torah, as strangely distended and with badly misshapen facial features. The body of his firstborn son, who died in the plague of the firstborn, was found to have a broken leg and a blow to the head, and the forensic archeologists said he died of malaria. Before the firstborn males died from a plague of illness, they rebelled against Pharoah and fought him. It could be that this son was wounded in that fight as well as from the plague.

There was a writing from one the Pharoah that he is afraid of a certain people because they have become so numerous in his land and he is afraid they could attack Egypt. This is stated in the Torah as well.

There are more correlations as well between what the Torah says and what was found in Egypt.

The Torah record is itself a proof of what happened. The Torah is one of the archeological evidences that we have, as it was written and it is actually an archeological evidence that we have and use until today. It didn't get buried under the rock, but was kept and used from then until now. That is the only difference between it and a buried find.

The Torah says that about 3 million Jews left Egypt. They were all there together at Mt. Sinai when G-d spoke to them and gave them the first two of the Ten Commandments. The Jews were so overwhelmed they asked Moses to have G-d speak to him and he should tell them what G-d said because they couldn't bear it from G-d Himself. They were all there experiencing Moses telling them what G-d was telling him. There were no Jews anywhere else in the world; they were all there together. It says this 24 times in the Torah – that G-d gave the Torah to Moses in front of the entire nation.

This is verifiable. If 3 million people say they saw something, wouldn't you believe them? When 3 million people say they saw something, it is a historical fact.

If you can't believe Moses existed, then you can't believe anyone else brought down to us in ancient history existed, for the same reason. No Julius Caesar. No Mark Antony. They were fictional characters, made up by a group of people for their own purposes to deceive the nation into following their lead.

Now we don't believe that is the case. We believe Julius Caesar existed, even though we don't know if 3 million people saw him. Because there were enough people who claimed to have seen him. If Julius Caesar didn't exist, and there were people who made it up, say, three hundred years later, the people who they were trying to foist this lie upon would say they are lying, because it is not in their history. They never learned about him, and he can't be just conjured up from thin air like that.

That is similar to Moses but even more so. Because when the Jews came out of Egypt, G-d told them to bake matzo, and do certain other practices which they did then and did every year since then to commemorate G-d taking them out of Egypt and making them into the Jewish nation to serve G-d. They had to build a tabernacle and the Levites had to carry it and the priests had to serve in it, which they had been doing.

Let's pretend that Moses didn't exist and the Jews didn't come out of Egypt (even though there is archeological evidence of them in Egypt). Let's pretend that three hundred years after the Jews didn't come out of Egypt, and the Jews, remember, don't know anything about coming out of Egypt because they didn't. They supposedly have another history of their origin. Someone we will call Fred comes along and says, "We were in Egypt hundreds of years ago and we came out", and he tells them all the details, and tells them G-d gave them the Torah and they have to do such and other because it says in the Torah. Now they wouldn't have been carrying around any tabernacle, because G-d hadn't given them the Torah. They wouldn't have been baking the matzo and wouldn't have gotten the manna, and wouldn't have the stone of the Ten Commandments. They wouldn't have any physical reminder of their history, because it wasn't their history. Now this Fred is trying to tell them this is their history. So now they have to start baking and eating matzo, and making a tabernacle, and become Levites and priests, and they have to have a Passover Seder to commemorate this history they never knew about. The people would say he is a liar and a fool and wouldn't believe him.

Let's say it did happen that way. The Jews forgot everything about their history and Fred told them about it and they started to do everything, all because of him. Would you not think they would record the name of the fellow who reminded them of the history they lost? Why is it we don't know who he is? His name, this great leader who brought their history back to them, out of all the names of the people we have in the Torah, was never recorded. If he told them all those things because he wanted to be their great leader and rule over them – then why didn't he make sure his name would be duly recorded and he should be very well known?

Or they would say he is a crackpot, because they all know their history, and none of those things happened that he is trying to tell them about.

You can't go to a people and give them a history they never had.

What if one father would make a Passover seder and invite his kids, and tell them, "Kids, I know no one ever did this before, but we are having this seder because G-d took us out of Egypt, and we all saw it, and He gave us the Torah, and now we have to eat matzo and do all these things." What would his kids' reaction be? They would say dad is off his rocker.

Another scenario: What if a generation after the exodus, a child asked his parents if they had been at the giving of the Torah. After all, it says 24 times that the entire nation was there. That means not one Jew was elsewhere. What if those parents would have said, no, they weren't there. That would immediately expose the Torah as being untrue. The detail in the Torah makes it verifiable. Out of all the arguments the Jews had with Moses, and all the things they complained about, they never complained or argued that G-d didn't give them the Torah, and that they didn't see it with their own eyes.

Other religions started with one person saying G-d told him this or that and no one was there to see it. It is unverifiable. They didn't lie and say people saw, because it would not be verifiable as no one would have been able to be found who could corroborate it.

Judaism is the only religion in the world that says that G-d revealed Himself to the entire nation of people. Not one other religion makes that claim.

April 20, 2012 at 3:49 am |
  16. Jesus H. Christ

ALL RIGHT!!!

To my chosen people - WAY TO GET ON BOARD FOLKS!!!

Now, can I get a bagel? Whew!

April 19, 2012 at 10:45 am |
  17. Joel Gold

Well fight as you may, if it is G-d that is drawing His people to their Messiah, then you won't be able to stop it, no matter how much you sream and yell. lol The writer of most of the NT Saul/Paul came to Yeshua kicking and screaming. Don't come to the Lord that way brethren. Paul was entrenched in the teachings of men in his day, just as many of you are who are posting these hostile comments against the Messiah of Israel. Follow G-d not men brethren. Shalom May you find peace with G-d through faith in Yeshua.

April 18, 2012 at 8:27 pm |
  18. Sandysue

I am a Christian and I embrace what I believe to be a fact that Jesus was a Jew. I believet that Jewish people are gifted beyond measure because they belong to the family of my Jesus whose goodness and excellence abound. No other race or group of people are as blessed and gifted as are Jews. There is much about the Bible that I don't understand but I do understand from reading and studying the Bible that the undying love that Jesus felt for his people is protective and never-ending

April 18, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
    • me

and what about the synagogal of Satan..ignorant

April 19, 2012 at 3:37 pm |
  19. Aaron

*****I believe that the only reason the rumor that "the Jews killed Jesus" abounds in the world of closed-minded Christians is because, way back when, Christians realized they were worshipping a Jew, and in order to put as much distance as possible between Jesus and the rest of the Jews, they invented a story that the Jews killed him. What better way to segregate a man from a race than by saying it was the Jews that killed Jesus??

The best historians in the world refute this rumor. I wish that ALL of Christianity would open their minds and realize this as well.

April 18, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
    • Hal Wheeler

Aaron. Before Jesus was born, and died, there were NO Christians. Jesus's disciples were Jews, as I'm sure you know. Jesus was a Jew, but he oppposed the hypocrisy of trhe Pharisees and it was the Sanhedrin that had him crucified. It was all part of the plan of G-d, who will never break the Covenant with Israel. If you have never read the 11th Chapter of Roman, do so and pay particular attention to verses 23-25. That settles everything for me. And BTW, I am an Anglilcan Priest married to a Jewish wife and we share our religions with great benefit to both of us. We agreed beforer we were married that neither of us would covert to the other's faith.
      I am dismayed by the many unfounded comments I(not yours) based on ignoraNCE OR BIGOTRY

April 20, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
  20. Trancend

Accept Jesus christ as your lord and saviour. You never know how soon is too late. Trancend the worldly illusion of enslavement.
    The world denounces truth....

Accepting Jesus Christ will result in something like seeng a new colour. You will see it .....but will not be able to clearly explain it to anyone else..... Its meant to be that way to transend any selfism within you.

Currently.... your constructing your own path that suits your sin lifestyle.

Look closely at the economy ponzi, look at how society idolizes Lust , greed , envy, sloth, pride of life, desire for knowledge, desire for power, desire for revencge,gluttony with food etc .

Trancend the temporal world.

Just think if you can find a truth you can take with you in any of these things. When you die your riches go to someone who will spend away your life. You will be forgotten.... history will repeat iteslf, the greatest minds knowledge fate or are eventually plagerzed, your good deeds are forgotten and only give you a fleeting temporary reward . your learned teachings are forgotten or mutated, your gold is transfered back to the rullers that rule you through deception. Your grave will grow over .
    Trancend your egoism and free yourself from this dominion of satan. Relise your a sinner and part of the collective problem of this worldly matrix... Repent....

Evidence follows faith. Faith does not follow evidence..... Faith above reason in Jesus Christ.

Read Ecclesiastes. Read corinthians.

You cant trancend your own egoism by adapting a world philosophy to suit your needs. Seek the truth.

Sell your cleverness and purchase bewilderment. You don't get what you want you get what you are in christ.

I promise this has been the truth for me. In Jesus christ .

Think of what you really have to lose. ...your ego?

Down is up. Break the Matrix of illusion that holds your senses captive.

once you do . you too will have the wisdom of God that comes only through the Holy Spirit. Saved By grace through Faith. Just like seeing a new colour.... can't explain it to a transient caught in the matrix of worldly deception.

Your all smart people . I tell the truth. Its hard to think out of the box when earthly thinking is the box.

April 18, 2012 at 12:51 pm |
    • satanlovesvulva

You are a very confused individual. Just cause you hear voices and believe that there are invisible creatures in outer space that are telling you what to do, it does not mean that it's true. It just means that you are imagining this.

Who the hell are you to tell me to accept your mythical friends? And who gave you the job of pointing out people's sins? You've probably spent a few hours of reading that idiotic book that you call "the bible" and suddenly you're an expert in what it's been written there. Do you know that the bible that you are reading is not the original book that was supposedly written 2000 years ago?

Do you know that the bible that you are reading is full of contradictory and erroneous information? I can point out hundreds of contradictions in that crappy book that you won't be able to refute them. You want an example? here is one: in the so called historically correct book of "john" it says that your boy jesus did not eat the passover meal(18:28,19:13-14), now in the historically correct book of "mark" it says that jesus ate the passover meal(14:12-17).

Go read those two books and those chapter and verses. After you've finished, come back and tell me if your boy jesus eat or not eat the passover. Start asking yourself how can a book that has such blaring contradictions be trusted to tell you the truth. You've said "Seek the truth" and you should follow your own advise and seek the truth. Start by finding out that there are discrepancies in this not-historically correct book.

Satan has left the building and going home to eat some hot and juicy vulva.

April 21, 2012 at 10:28 am |