home
RSS
My Take: My hijab is my hoodie
Trayvon Martin, left, and Shaima Alawadi, were both killed recently.
April 5th, 2012

My Take: My hijab is my hoodie

Editor’s note: Linda Sarsour is national advocacy director of the National Network for Arab American Communities and director of the Arab American Association of New York. Follow her on Twitter.

By Linda Sarsour, Special to CNN

(CNN) - I’ve been among the millions mourning the killing of Trayvon Martin, but I’m also mourning the fact that another recent killing has gotten little national attention.

Last week, a 32-year old Iraqi Muslim mother named Shaima Alawadi was found brutally beaten with a tire iron in her El Cajon, California, home and died three days later. A note reportedly left beside her said, “Go Back to your country, you terrorist.”

As an Arab-American Muslim mother of three, I instantly thought about myself and my family.

Alawadi's death put a mirror up to my face. I am 32, I wear a headscarf, like Alawadi did, and I live during one of the most hostile moments that the Muslim American community has ever experienced, especially in the decade since 9/11.

Blacks in America continue to face racism on a daily basis, from the workplace to interactions with law enforcement. And yet racism against African-Americans is publicly acknowledged as unacceptable.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

No one in power dares use the N-word publicly, fearing the wrath that will be bestowed upon them.

Unfortunately, that’s not the case for Muslims in America. Bigotry against Muslims is quite acceptable. From media pundits to elected officials to presidential hopefuls, spewing misinformation and hatred about Muslims and Islam has been normalized.

In America, terrorism has become synonymous with Arabs and Muslims. We see that clearly stated in the note left next to Alawadi.

Law enforcement is investigating Alawadi’s case and says it will not rule out the possibility of a hate crime but also called the killing “an isolated incident.”

According to a report released by the FBI in 2011, anti-Muslim hate crimes increased by nearly 50% in 2010. The latest statistics show a jump from 107 anti-Muslim hate crimes in 2009 to 160 in 2010.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

Last year saw the coldblooded killing of two Sikh elders who apparently “looked” Muslim. The year before saw the stabbing of a Muslim cabdriver who told a white passenger he was Muslim.

Isolated incidents? I don’t think so.

Given mosque vandalism and opposition, proposed anti-Sharia laws and congressional hearings on American Islam, the rash of anti-Muslim hate crimes is not so surprising. As appears to be the case with Trayvon Martin, what’s dangerous is when ordinary citizens act on bigotry, born of misinformation and fear of the unknown.

While there has been some effort to connect Martin and Alawadi by focusing on their attire - a hoodie for the African-American teen and a hijab for the young mother - there has been a deafening silence and reluctance to take Alawadi’s case to the forefront of public debate by some in the Muslim community.

Major Muslim organizations and activists have been treading carefully, warning community members not to “jump to conclusions.”

I for one have been disheartened and feel disempowered by this response. As in Martin’s case, there is still an ongoing investigation into Alawadi’s death.

But with only initial evidence - a dead black teenager, an iced tea, a pack of Skittles, a neighborhood watchman - many of us have presumed the Martin killing is an unfortunate result of racism in America.

Some have even gone so far as to compare Martin's death to that of Emmett Till.

Why not the same for Alawadi?

Is an Arab Muslim woman drowning in her blood with a note deeming her a terrorist and telling her to go back to her “country” not explicit enough?

Instead of looking at Alawadi’s death in light of the anti-Muslim environment we live in, Muslims allow our internalized oppression to lead us to believe the stereotypes perpetuated against our community.

I have seen tweets and comments from Muslims suggesting the possibility Alawadi’s killing might be an act of domestic violence or, worse, an honor killing.

In the United States, we need to come to terms with anti-Muslim bigotry, stand up to it and unequivocally deem it unacceptable. An injustice toward any one person or community is an injustice to us all.

I am Trayvon Martin. I am Shaima Alawadi, too.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Linda Sarsour.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Islam • Opinion

soundoff (1,301 Responses)
  1. Howard

There will always be racism and bigotry as long as ignorance and intolerance is a way of life. I understand the author's outrage against the racism that surrounded this woman's needless murder and the death of Trayvon Martin. However, in my opinion this author’s view point is quite myopic. A hoodie and Hijab are not the same; one represents a style choice and the other a religious one. Most people wearing a hoodie, if ask to lower the head cover to expose their head in public, would be willing to accommodate the request whereas most Hijab wearers would not be so accommodating. I am saddened by both deaths but if I were to look at hate crimes committed against Muslims; I might first look at the amazing number of Muslims that are murdered everyday by other Muslims. How many Muslim women are murdered by family members because they have unfortunately offended someone's sense of honor? What about the Muslim suicide bombers that detonate themselves in mosques because of a difference in orthodox beliefs? How are these not crimes of hatred and bigotry?

April 5, 2012 at 4:57 pm |
  2. mytch

Towelheads are ruining the world and perpetuating war and killings in the name of their religion. If you don't like it here in the U.S. and you feel like you are being treated poorly or discriminated against, turn around and go back to that disgusting towelhead nation of murderers you came from. You are NOT Arab Americans! If you live here, you are Americans. You have a problem with that-LEAVE!!!

April 5, 2012 at 4:53 pm |
    • aamir

so we should ask African-Americans to leave ...mexican-american to leave ... chinese-americans to leave.... its bigots like you that spread the hatred.

What if the author is a born ameircan.... so u want her to leave for where???

this is exactly why we have hatred in this country....

Where as crime in other coountries is concerned... thats not my problem! ... how many honor killings or suicide bombings are you seeing here in the US to justify your opinion?

April 5, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
    • Maxine

Dont Blindly defend . I have read about the history of how the muslims invaded your country Egypt in the 7th century (by the man named Amr ebn el AS) and changed a predominantly peaceful and coptic land into what we see it as today (poor, overpopulated and corrupt). Not to mention the many of your coptic indigenous people that have lost their lives in El Kohesh 2000, Nag Hammadi 2011, and Maspero 2012....EXPLAIN these Alex as the author states "Isolated incidences I think Not".....Find Me A single Coptic Chrisitian that is in any form of GOVERNMENTAL power in your country...answer my question Alex...with a legitimate source . The muslims will never stand up against their own especially when it is warranted by the Holy Koran and the prophet Mohammed "peace be upon him". CNN needs to be aware that Muslims we continue to spew out this VICTIM card are not to be taken seriously nor will they be ever taken seriously. I envy the richness of your COPTIC faith that has been a model for all religions as it practices what it preaches in LOVE and PEACE towards all. Of course CNN would broadcast this small article but would put almost nothing about your wonderful and deceased patriarch POPE SHENOUDA III who was really a man of profound wisdom. I wish you well in your attempts at finding a replacement that your GOD deems fit. So that your wonderful and rich religion may continue to live on through the tribulations it has faced in EGYPT for over 1400 years which is a true miracle in itself......Enjoy yourself and stop defending your faith Alex without having the facts you guys are not doing a good job of cleaning up the evidence anymore especially when there are the WESTERN eyes looking into the country now.

April 5, 2012 at 5:10 pm |
  3. Diana

These coverings are the most offensive form of dress for women and signifies oppression to a Western woman. These women remain separated and have no intention of integrating within society.
    The men dress in western garb, but not the women.
    In no way can they be compared to the 'hoodie'.
    By wearing it, the woman shows refusal of integrating into America. Her culture comes first.

April 5, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
    • Kingofthenet

Yup, it's Militant Clothing meant to send a message, like the African American 'Black Muslims' and their 'I HATE white people' little hats.

April 5, 2012 at 4:56 pm |
    • aamir

so who defines what is minimum and maximum clothing we should be wearing? looks its plain and simple... you want to hate someone, you can find any reason to hate... if its not the hojab today... it will be something else.

bottomline.... you are discriminating someone based on their looks whether racial or religious... both are wrong. And btw ... comparing with other countries does not justify your hatred of a particular group here??

if that was the case... Christians should hate the jews for crucifying Jesus... but thats not the case??? wonder why ...

April 5, 2012 at 5:11 pm |
  4. Lee

Muslims have a bad reputation due to muslim extremists. And since we were attacked by muslim extremists, we now have a negative perception of all muslims. What the muslim community needs to do is show they are much more than the small community of extremists that we all seem to know so well. It's a burden, but the only way to change things is change everyones perception of muslims. You also have to realize that western civilization is predominantly christian, and there will always be a clash in beliefs as long as religion has any significance in peoples lives. But please don't just start playing the race card. You will lose any and all respect if you do that.

April 5, 2012 at 4:48 pm |
  5. kc

As a black woman this world is getting harder and harder to deal with. When I heard about Shaima I was heartbroken and even posted it on FB so that her case would not go unnoticed by my peers; since everyone was so upset about Trayvon. Though we have " rights"...Blacks, Muslims, and Women will always be considered second class citizens...at least until we become the "majority." I've done everything a productive, hard working American should do...but have to constantly worry about being a "Trayvon" or being compared to the only black women that gets work on TV these days...the video vixen with her ass out! I cant imagine how sad Muslims in America must feel....even black/Hispanics make Muslim jokes ( and I'm sure vice versa) ignorantly not realizing we are all considered "minorities. Maybe when Muslims, Blacks, American Indians, Hipanics, Jews, Asians and
    all other so called minorities (u too white women) start fighting for equality together then this world can change.

April 5, 2012 at 4:48 pm |
    • Maxine

KC, you are falling into what she wants you to believe, and that is why the largest proportion of american converts to islam are african americans. I am sorry to say this but comparing her plight to yours is illogical and unacceptable. The only commonality african americans and muslims have (for the time being) are that you are minorities. Other than that blacks never blatantly had ideologies imposed on them to undermine an other race or religion. African americans were a victim of the selfish and arrogant "white man" who decided that skin color were a determining factor of self worth. You are undermining all of the african americans when you place yourselves in that same category for the "supposed inequality" muslims face for NO reason.
      Sarah you are 100 % right I have read about the history of how the muslims invaded your country in the 7th century (by the man named Amr ebn el AS) and changed a predominantly peaceful and coptic land into what we see it as today (poor, overpopulated and corrupt). Not to mention the many of your coptic indigenous people that have lost their lives in El Kohesh 2000, Nag Hammadi 2011, and Maspero 2012 most recently.....To answer the AUTHOR "isolated INCIDENTS I THINK NOT". The muslims will never stand up against their own especially when it is warranted by the Holy Koran and the prophet Mohammed "peace be upon him". CNN needs to be aware that Muslims we continue to spew out this VICTIM card are not to be taken seriously nor will they be ever taken seriously. I envy the richness of your COPTIC faith that has been a model for all religions as it practices what it preaches in LOVE and PEACE towards all. Of course CNN would broadcast this small article but would put almost nothing about your wonderful and deceased patriarch POPE SHENOUDA III who was really a man of profound wisdom. I wish you well in your attempts at finding a replacement that your GOD deems fit. So that your wonderful and rich religion may continue to live on through the tribulations it has faced in EGYPT for over 1400 years which is a true miracle in itself.

April 5, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
    • BJD0012

Not that I have much against your post, but you are not the minority you speak of. You are all fighting for the same thing which makes you one in the same...so to speak. Demand equality as a group, not as fragmented segments of one larger group, and you will no longer be in the minority you would be a vast majority in comparison. Do you really think white men outnumber everyone else combined???

April 5, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
    • Maxine

Equality period is a great thing however, I do not appreciate blatant lies and misinformation being posted. The plight of the African american person is a very different one than the MUSLIM supposed plight in the US. The MUSLIMS control more than 1/3 of the WORLD with their own laws and in some cases SHARIA laws. The African American man has nothing that they truthfully control even look at SUDAN. It used to be a country controlled by True African Americans however ISLAMISTS managed to steal part of it and make it a religious battle. It is just a disgrace for AFRICAN americans to really undermine themselves, and I do not appreciate when the VICTIM card is used in an unwarranted and decieiving manner SHAME SHAME SHAME on CNN for allowing such a naive woman publish this. If they were going for creating unnecessary uproar JOB well DONE.

April 5, 2012 at 5:16 pm |
    • great

Thank you for posting your opinion that all white men in America are the enemy of all other people in America, including white women for some reason.
      White men are not the majority; that doesn't even make sense. The entire population across all ethnicity is divided by gender about 50/50. You just need someone to hate and the white male is the go to target for everyone. I've never done anything out of blatant bigotry or racism... how do you think that makes me feel?
      I'm also a hard working American that pays his taxes and gives back to his community. And by the way, my boss is a woman and I work with people of many different races and backgrounds. Give up the fantasy already.

April 5, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
    • Grammer

Maxine,
      I hate to tell you that all your statements are falsely stated.
      I have studied Egyptology in quite detail, and unless your sources are maybe some chatting forum or the like, I would be surprised of you could ever prove them to be academically recognized.

April 11, 2012 at 11:27 pm |
  6. seyedibar

I'll agree with her. I see a hijab and I'm going to assume the woman is not very intelligent or well-educated, regardless of whether it is true. However I would not mmediately assume that she was a violent terrorist.

April 5, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
  7. Omar

Ummm, not to spoil a good party, but the Shaima case is almost certainly an honor killing.

April 5, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
    • tnskier29

Omar, that's what I was thinking. And whomever committed this horrific act, attempted to make it look like someone else did it. As to advert attention away for them. If this was an honor killing then the perpetrator will be apprehended. The cops will investigate everyone and all angles in regard to this case. Usually, when some dies this way, it's a spouse or family member. Therefore, the police will check this angle out too. To either see if further investigation is necessary (into the family member(s)) or to clear the family member(s). Basically, they will follow the trail of evidence.

April 5, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
  8. tnskier29

The article says, that terrorist goes hand and hand with being an Arab/Muslim. Well, from what people are observing, that's a true comment. We don't see India/Hindus committing horrific acts of terrorism. Or any other group for that matter. There's an old saying,...actions speak louder then words. And the actions coming from the Arab/Muslim communities are speaking quite loudly.

April 5, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
    • teach her

Based on your logic....all white men can snap at any minute and kill their families., plus they are all pedophiles. There's a reason there are not that many minority children going to predominately white daycares compared to elementary / high schools...because everyone believes their children has a better chance of being exposed to some sick pedophile.....mostly white. There's a reason everyone was shocked the DC sniper was black...because its the type of cowardly action expected of a white man. Its not all true....but it is based on your logic tnskier29!

April 5, 2012 at 4:57 pm |
    • GodPot

Terrorist Attacks on U.S. Soil by Group, From 1980 to 2005, According to FBI Database
      Latino – 42%
      Extreme Left Wing groups – 24%
      Communists – 5%
      Jewish Extremists – 7%
      Muslim Extremists – 6%
      Other – 16%

There's another wise old saying "Everyone has the right to be stupid but you're abusing the priviledge." – Shiv Daddar

April 5, 2012 at 5:00 pm |
    • m.

I'm neither Arab, nor I am a Muslim – I am American. Sadly, American people are simply uneducated. They think they are, but all they learn is coming from media. And media changes information in the way they want it to change people's state of mind. If more Americans read original sources about things that trouble them, they would be more intelligent. And women, who say they are respected in the western world, would take a minute to think: is this really true? Those Americans who were eager to know the truth about 9/11 already know that it was all done by the hand of G. Bush to have a reason to go to Iraq for their oil. Those, who leave majority comments here, are not interested in self-education and can only smack information thrown at them by their media.

April 5, 2012 at 5:20 pm |
  9. islam isevil

DEAR STUPID SLAVE,
    your sick and disgusting religion have nothing to do with travon. Ironicaly this is typical of people enslaved by islam; clinging to anything, using anything to justify the islamic cause.
    Since you are to ignorant to understand I will explain.
    Your dirty head rag(hijab) is REQUIRED by your sick cult to wear. Obviously you have not awoke to the fact that women of islam are considered slaves, and have no rights.
    The Hoodie? Gee I see no law requiring you to wear that do you?
    So tell me again, how are they the same?
    Oh wait I know they are related because you need them to propogate your disgusting beliefs.
    I WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND WHY ANY WOMEN FREELY CHOOSES TO BE A SLAVE TO THE PIGS OF ISLAM.

April 5, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
    • Zena

Thank you for proving Linda Sarsour's point so eloquently.

April 5, 2012 at 4:55 pm |
    • aamir

do you know when the muslim women got a vote and when did a white women got a vote?

Women have more rights in islam than you can ever imagine.... dont look at some countries and make judgements.... talk to someone knowlegeable.

The thing u call the Ditry Rag ... is also worn by your nuns in the church... i assume they are dirty as well?
      Slavery is supposedly ended in the US in the last 50 yrs .... Islam banished Slavery if you read your facts....

I will never understand why there are so many broken families in the US .... and that is lack of religion and faith in the society.! ... so muslim women are doing an excellent job raising their next generation educated and religious so thay can suceeed in life and there after.... and btw there are plenty of muslim women in the work field ... to kill your notion that they are slaves!

April 5, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
    • Grammer

well...
      amazing that you try to call muslims: pigs, when they refuse to eat pigs, knowing and realizing that pigs are not a great source of healthy nutrition.
      On the flip side of the same coin, you seem disgusted from pigs, yet you sound like someone who would welcome eating pigs any time.

April 11, 2012 at 11:35 pm |
  10. Food4Thought3

Every single person uses stereotypes. If I'm in business, I am going to stereotype what a businessman looks like and copy that. If I want to be a rapper, I'm going to dress according to what I think (stereotype) what a rapper would dress and act like. Just like a suit, I know what a hoodie will communicate to others. Stereotypes are used constantly and are extremely helpful. It can't be the only form of judging, but it does offer lots of information from a mere ocular pat down.

April 5, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
  11. Amora

Well said!!! "I am Trayvon Martin. I am Shaima Alawadi, too."

April 5, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
    • islam isevil

yEAH !!!! and I am ronald mc donald!
      they wont let me wear my clown make up at work!!!
      Im gonna protest!!
      hells yeah yo!!
      allahpeanutbutter sandwhiches!!!

April 5, 2012 at 4:56 pm |
  12. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things .

April 5, 2012 at 4:42 pm |
    • just sayin

I agree, wishful thinking does change things

April 5, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
    • just sayin

ps however wishful thinking didnt change or help the poor Korean bast ages.

April 5, 2012 at 4:44 pm |
    • just sayin

too many just sayin fraud alert

April 5, 2012 at 4:44 pm |
    • just sayin

Two too many to be believed just sayin posts

April 5, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
    • Jesus

Prayer doesn’t not; you are so full of crap and lies. You have NO proof it changes anything! A great example of prayer proven not to work is the Christians in jail because prayer didn't work and their children died. For example: Susan Grady, who relied on prayer to heal her son. Nine-year-old Aaron Grady died and Susan Grady was arrested.

The statistical studies from the nineteenth century and the three CCU studies on prayer are quite consistent with the fact that humanity is wasting a huge amount of time on a procedure that simply doesn’t work. Nonetheless, faith in prayer is so pervasive and deeply rooted, you can be sure believers will continue to devise future studies in a desperate effort to confirm their beliefs!""

April 5, 2012 at 4:52 pm |
    • apostate

g o d d a m n effin m o r o n

April 5, 2012 at 4:55 pm |
    • Kingofthenet

but why won't he heal Amputees?

April 5, 2012 at 4:57 pm |
    • just sayin

My pants...

April 5, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
  13. deb

No idealogy MANDATES that someone wear a hoodie, unlike the hijab. Poor analogy. I'm not buying any of this.

April 5, 2012 at 4:42 pm |
    • Brent Slensker

Hajib = Subjugation

April 5, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
    • jonnnnney

hijab is not mandated its a choice; just like a hoodie

April 5, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
  14. YeongNamSu

You say that this hate against Muslims is unjustified, but you have not given us any reason to change our ways. You never said, "We Muslims are actually nice", or, "Those terrorists are only a small percentage of our religion". You just tell us we're wrong. Give me one good reason to stop fearing you, and then I will think about it.

April 5, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
    • foreigner

who puts a gun barrel in the 2 year old's mouth and shoot?is it us or is it an american marine?

April 5, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
    • a60639

Have you ever had a conversation with a Muslim? I work in a very ethnically and religiously diverse environment and all the Muslims here were celebrating when Osama Bin Ladin was killed. Most American Muslims are peaceful people who fled the mideast to avoid the violence and hatred. The majority of Muslims do not condone terrorism but the extreme fringes speak the loudest. You only see hate because that is all you want to see. Any of these links will show you the side of Islam you deny exists. I would bet you won't even bother to click on one.

April 5, 2012 at 4:52 pm |
    • GodPot

"Americans continue to live in mortal fear of radical Islam, a fear propagated and inflamed by right wing Islamophobes who claim “Not all Muslims are terrorists, but nearly all terrorists are Muslims.” Muslims and their “leftist dhimmi allies” respond feebly, mentioning Waco as the one counter example, unwittingly affirming the belief that “nearly all terrorists are Muslims.” But perception is not reality. The data simply does not support such a hasty conclusion. On the FBI’s official website, there exists a chronological list of all terrorist attacks committed on U.S. soil from the year 1980 all the way to 2005. According to this data, there were more Jewish acts of terrorism within the United States than Islamic (7% vs 6%). These radical Jews committed acts of terrorism in the name of their religion. These were not terrorists who happened to be Jews; rather, they were extremist Jews who committed acts of terrorism based on their religious passions, just like Al-Qaeda and company."

Latino – 42%
      Extreme Left Wing groups – 24%
      Communists – 5%
      Jewish Extremeists – 7%
      Muslim Extremeists – 6%
      Other – 16%

April 5, 2012 at 4:54 pm |
    • Maxine

April 5, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
  15. FormerMormon

As a non-believer, I posted Alawadi's horrific fate. It's not right. I mourn her passing and revile the hate that led to it. And I agree that your hijab is your hoodie.

April 5, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
  16. Doug

This all sounds good, however as you know if I come to your country I have to do and abide by what your religion rules, and yet you come here and rub it in our faces... We aren't that stupid...

April 5, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
    • tnskier29

@Doug....well said dude, well said.

April 5, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
    • Zena

This IS her country!

April 5, 2012 at 4:58 pm |
    • aamir

btw...

USA is united states of america .... not United Christain States of America.

this country is not based on one religion... thus everyone is free to pratice their religion... and wear what is required! .... so stop comparing with other coutries.

If this was a purely christian country imposing rules from the bible... then if i visit here, i should follow the rules.. per say.

and btw... when u visit a purely islamic country, they dont make you read quran and ask u to pray... thay ask you to respect the culture and dont run around in bikinis and drink alcohol and stuff like that...

why do we have to be so ignorant when making comparisons??? knowing that we are not a country made on one religion...

April 5, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
  17. Sam

As a a Coptic Christian, I might have some respect for this woman if she'd acknowledge that the adherents of Islam are responsible for more murders that are motiviated by the victim's race and ethnicity than any other group in the world. as it stands, this article is typical of the self-serving, delusional garbage spouted by the followers of Mohammed. No matter what they do, they are always peaceful religionists who are victimized by the unwarranted cruelty of others. For Copts, our cross is our hoodie and I don't see any Muslims standing with us to stop Islamic genocide of those of our faith and other Christians in the Middle East.

April 5, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
    • Alex

Did you just say Genocide? Your silly. I've been to the Middle East and they're living side by side in Peace oh hate and fearmongering Coptic boy.

April 5, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
    • Maxine

DOCTOOR ALEX,

SAM you are 100 % right I have read about the history of how the muslims invaded your country in the 7th century (by the man named Amr ebn el AS) and changed a predominantly peaceful and coptic land into what we see it as today (poor, overpopulated and corrupt). Not to mention the many of your coptic indigenous people that have lost their lives in El Kohesh 2000, Nag Hammadi 2011, and Maspero 2012....EXPLAIN these Alex as the author states "Isolated incidences I think Not".....Find Me A single Coptic Chrisitian that is in any form of GOVERNMENTAL power in your country...answer my question Alex...with a legitimate source . The muslims will never stand up against their own especially when it is warranted by the Holy Koran and the prophet Mohammed "peace be upon him". CNN needs to be aware that Muslims we continue to spew out this VICTIM card are not to be taken seriously nor will they be ever taken seriously. I envy the richness of your COPTIC faith that has been a model for all religions as it practices what it preaches in LOVE and PEACE towards all. Of course CNN would broadcast this small article but would put almost nothing about your wonderful and deceased patriarch POPE SHENOUDA III who was really a man of profound wisdom. I wish you well in your attempts at finding a replacement that your GOD deems fit. So that your wonderful and rich religion may continue to live on through the tribulations it has faced in EGYPT for over 1400 years which is a true miracle in itself......Enjoy yourself and stop defending your faith Alex without having the facts you guys are not doing a good job of cleaning up the evidence anymore especially when there are the WESTERN eyes looking into the country now.

April 5, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
  18. Christine

The killing wasn't a hate crime, ma'am – so now what do you have to say? Hmmmm...........

April 5, 2012 at 4:36 pm |
    • a60639

Funny – I just read that article and it didn't say anywhere that a hate crime was ruled out.
      "Police have said that the note indicates the possibility of a hate crime but have stressed they are exploring all possibilities..."
      Third paragraph from the bottom.
      Nothing has been determined and the possibility of a hate crime is still being investigated.
      Doesn't it suck when you post a link to prove your point and someone actually reads it and realizes it doesn't support you at all? Or do you just have very poor reading comprehension and did not understand what the article said?

April 5, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
  19. Sarah

April 5, 2012 at 4:35 pm |
    • Rosstrex

Islam seems to create the most narcissistic of outlooks. The most self-centered ideology that justifies every atrocity and hides every truth. Muslms are attacking not just the Copts. They are attacking, Christians, Muslims , Buddhists, Ahamadis, Seks, Hindus, Atheists, Pagans and every other religous group in EVERY ISLAMIC country. How they can believe that Mohammed brought anything other than a Man Made Ideology dressed up as an Abrahamic Religion is beyond me.

April 5, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
    • Maxine

Sarah you are 100 % right I have read about the history of how the muslims invaded your country in the 7th century (by the man named Amr ebn el AS) and changed a predominantly peaceful and coptic land into what we see it as today (poor, overpopulated and corrupt). Not to mention the many of your coptic indigenous people that have lost their lives in El Kohesh 2000, Nag Hammadi 2011, and Maspero 2012. The muslims will never stand up against their own especially when it is warranted by the Holy Koran and the prophet Mohammed "peace be upon him". CNN needs to be aware that Muslims we continue to spew out this VICTIM card are not to be taken seriously nor will they be ever taken seriously. I envy the richness of your COPTIC faith that has been a model for all religions as it practices what it preaches in LOVE and PEACE towards all. Of course CNN would broadcast this small article but would put almost nothing about your wonderful and deceased patriarch POPE SHENOUDA III who was really a man of profound wisdom. I wish you well in your attempts at finding a replacement that your GOD deems fit. So that your wonderful and rich religion may continue to live on through the tribulations it has faced in EGYPT for over 1400 years which is a true miracle in itself.

April 5, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
    • Loren

Maxine, CNN DID put up a number of articles about the recently deceased Coptic Pope. I read one of them, but I know there were several more, updating the status of his funeral arrangements and detailing (albeit briefly) the history of Coptic Christianity and its place in the lives of its adherents. In fact, these articles were on the website's front page for more than a week, at the same time the Martin case was blowing up. So they did, IMHO, make more than a passing effort to expose me and my fellow citizens to the faith of other peoples and places.

I understand what this woman is trying to say, but i would agree it would go over a lot better if Muslims world wide would stop trying to kill every one who declines to follow their faith, including differing sects of Muslims. Unfortunately, my understanding is that the Quran actually states that Muslims are to allow others the chance to convert, but if they do not, they are to kill them. That is a directive of their faith. And it's a far cry from shaking the dust off of their feet before they go on to the next community, as Jesus directed his followers to do.

I think that if thoughtful Muslims would confront the hateful intolerance at the heart of their faith, and repudiate it, they would find that they themselves would be less likely to be the victims of intolerance. JMO.

April 5, 2012 at 5:16 pm |
    • Maxine

Loren I did not say that they didnt put anything I saw that they had posted very little however, this was a mother TERESA LIKE FIGURE a breed of individual that is very rare in the world. There was no video coverage of the rich, ancient, and Traditional FUneral procession that had taken place over three days, and there was no reason provided as to why. the world really missed out on a great INDIVIDUAL his life story and what we could learn from his wisdom in HOW he unlike many of the leaders in the world we have today PRACTICED what he PREACHED in doing SO with alll the diplomacy in the world, love and peace. It was absolutely unacceptable, and there was only one article actually published it was the same one over and over and over with incorrect addendums, just a big shame. He was a humble man of the desert and would not loved the publicity based on what I read of him, however there was a vital chance for the world to be exposed to SOME POSITIVE and GOOD things CNN puts a blind eye to it.

April 5, 2012 at 5:35 pm |
    • Maxine

Loren P.S and what you are talking about with the MUSLIMS and Giving the people a chance to stay their religion for an extra expensive tax or be killed if they dont convert is called the "JIZYA" it was employed very much in EGYPT during the 7th century that is why you saw a population of 80% coptic Christians got to what is now a days 10%. Only the rich would be the ones to carry the religion forward, the "jizya" has been abolished for a while now due to the stance by the christians there however that is one of the things that hte muslim brotherhood and the more extremist SALAFis want to bring back after the uprising in 2012

April 5, 2012 at 5:43 pm |
  20. Gene

I guess everyone has to get on the "I'm a victim" train. All aboard!

April 5, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
    • westerncrusader

history vs isolated issues people...muslim aka islam, attacks western infadels (US), hoodies rarely have run in's with the law, petty crime. who should be crying?

April 5, 2012 at 4:43 pm |