home
RSS
My Take: My hijab is my hoodie
Trayvon Martin, left, and Shaima Alawadi, were both killed recently.
April 5th, 2012

My Take: My hijab is my hoodie

Editor’s note: Linda Sarsour is national advocacy director of the National Network for Arab American Communities and director of the Arab American Association of New York. Follow her on Twitter.

By Linda Sarsour, Special to CNN

(CNN) - I’ve been among the millions mourning the killing of Trayvon Martin, but I’m also mourning the fact that another recent killing has gotten little national attention.

Last week, a 32-year old Iraqi Muslim mother named Shaima Alawadi was found brutally beaten with a tire iron in her El Cajon, California, home and died three days later. A note reportedly left beside her said, “Go Back to your country, you terrorist.”

As an Arab-American Muslim mother of three, I instantly thought about myself and my family.

Alawadi's death put a mirror up to my face. I am 32, I wear a headscarf, like Alawadi did, and I live during one of the most hostile moments that the Muslim American community has ever experienced, especially in the decade since 9/11.

Blacks in America continue to face racism on a daily basis, from the workplace to interactions with law enforcement. And yet racism against African-Americans is publicly acknowledged as unacceptable.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

No one in power dares use the N-word publicly, fearing the wrath that will be bestowed upon them.

Unfortunately, that’s not the case for Muslims in America. Bigotry against Muslims is quite acceptable. From media pundits to elected officials to presidential hopefuls, spewing misinformation and hatred about Muslims and Islam has been normalized.

In America, terrorism has become synonymous with Arabs and Muslims. We see that clearly stated in the note left next to Alawadi.

Law enforcement is investigating Alawadi’s case and says it will not rule out the possibility of a hate crime but also called the killing “an isolated incident.”

According to a report released by the FBI in 2011, anti-Muslim hate crimes increased by nearly 50% in 2010. The latest statistics show a jump from 107 anti-Muslim hate crimes in 2009 to 160 in 2010.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

Last year saw the coldblooded killing of two Sikh elders who apparently “looked” Muslim. The year before saw the stabbing of a Muslim cabdriver who told a white passenger he was Muslim.

Isolated incidents? I don’t think so.

Given mosque vandalism and opposition, proposed anti-Sharia laws and congressional hearings on American Islam, the rash of anti-Muslim hate crimes is not so surprising. As appears to be the case with Trayvon Martin, what’s dangerous is when ordinary citizens act on bigotry, born of misinformation and fear of the unknown.

While there has been some effort to connect Martin and Alawadi by focusing on their attire - a hoodie for the African-American teen and a hijab for the young mother - there has been a deafening silence and reluctance to take Alawadi’s case to the forefront of public debate by some in the Muslim community.

Major Muslim organizations and activists have been treading carefully, warning community members not to “jump to conclusions.”

I for one have been disheartened and feel disempowered by this response. As in Martin’s case, there is still an ongoing investigation into Alawadi’s death.

But with only initial evidence - a dead black teenager, an iced tea, a pack of Skittles, a neighborhood watchman - many of us have presumed the Martin killing is an unfortunate result of racism in America.

Some have even gone so far as to compare Martin's death to that of Emmett Till.

Why not the same for Alawadi?

Is an Arab Muslim woman drowning in her blood with a note deeming her a terrorist and telling her to go back to her “country” not explicit enough?

Instead of looking at Alawadi’s death in light of the anti-Muslim environment we live in, Muslims allow our internalized oppression to lead us to believe the stereotypes perpetuated against our community.

I have seen tweets and comments from Muslims suggesting the possibility Alawadi’s killing might be an act of domestic violence or, worse, an honor killing.

In the United States, we need to come to terms with anti-Muslim bigotry, stand up to it and unequivocally deem it unacceptable. An injustice toward any one person or community is an injustice to us all.

I am Trayvon Martin. I am Shaima Alawadi, too.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Linda Sarsour.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Islam • Opinion

soundoff (1,301 Responses)
  1. Atheism is Great for Kids and Grown-Ups Too!

It's really best for all people including children to have an agnostic approach to god, and an atheistic approach to all religion. It keeps things simple for kids, and lets them be all that they can be. They just need to be taught that some things, like all religion, were just made up by salesmen and politicians from long ago. (Yes, charlatan folklore and spam started long before the Bible; what would make you think they hadn't?) And they need to be taught that other things, like God, we really don't know a damn thing about.

Atheists have strong minds and don't need a religion. Many religious folk have the best intentions. But too often, religious folk run and hide their misdeeds within their religion (and by doing so, they disserve society). And too often, religious folk are easily offended when someone mocks their make-believe characters – and, as we can see they can get really CRAZY!

Although there are many religious folk with good intentions – some selflessly helping others, religions and religious organizations are, as a whole, just big old clubs – each trying to out do each other and inspiring hate and division (often disguised as love) along the way. The problem is that people too easily buy into religion and don't realize how unfounded it all is. And when they buy into it, they buy into a lot of really old, really weird tenets that are nothing but harmful for the human species.

Take Christianity, for instance. Just look at all the things that Christians argue about amongst themselves today – abortion, men's and women's roles in the church, celibacy, contraception, acceptance of gays, etc. Most of these issues have their roots in the conflicted, unfounded tenets of early Christianity. Non-Mormons harp on Joseph Smith these days. But we really don't have any more proof at all to believe that Paul, the self-proclaimed "apostle" was anything more than an ordinary man who needed to make up religious "sales literature" to survive and spread his own personal beliefs. And yet a good chunk of the NT is attributed to Paul and accepted by many Christians. And a lot of what he wrote about has to do with many of the issues I mentioned above that have Christians fighting amongst themselves hundreds of years later. It's way too unfounded to argue over.

Get a good cup of tea, and sit down and collect your thoughts. If you find it helpful to pray to a god (something you know nothing about), fine. But it is really healthier for the mind to leave behind all the characters that people over the centuries have invented or given powers to, for which there is little or no foundation. Because with those invented characters and powers – that's where division and hate join the little party in your mind. That's where, in your mind, you are inheriting the division and hate from ordinary politicians, lobbyists and salesmen from long ago. My goodness.

original by mama kindless

September 21, 2012 at 10:12 am |
    • M.B.Khamenei

Well said, and I am a Muslim that hates the paedophile mass murderer prophet Mohammad, and find it really stupid that Allah says in the Quran that birds fly because Allah holds them up.

September 21, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  2. Mnhsty

When are we going to hear from Christian leaders denouncing the KKK and similar Christian hate groups? Oh, right, they're not after YOU, right?

September 21, 2012 at 8:13 am |
    • Tim

I don't think the KKK has done anything lately to stand up to.

September 21, 2012 at 10:04 am |
    • M.B.Khamenei

How many diplomats did the KKK slaughter last week?

Did they go around shooting innocent people killing 30 Christians when the really ugly Jesus cartoon came out last week by TheOnion.com ???

Shame on Gramsci cultural leftists who equate Islam to Christianity. A really dumb group they are.

September 21, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
  3. 2357

Look at the founders of the feminist movement. Sharia is the new Victorian. The come the big wars.

September 21, 2012 at 6:18 am |
  4. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things,.

September 21, 2012 at 6:00 am |
    • thecollegeadmissionsguru

I have a question... Have you ever had an original thought in your life?

September 21, 2012 at 6:05 am |
    • Atheism is Great for Kids and Grown-Ups Too!

originally posted by mama kindless

September 21, 2012 at 10:11 am |
  5. snomannn

Madam, I don't know what your deal is, but from my prospective as a White female Christian, I disagree with you. I have never committed a crime against a Muslim nor ever said anything bad about one. And, I don't plan to either. But, I do have to question why the American Muslims, especially the Arab Muslims have never stood with the rest of us in condemning the atrocities of 9/11? I have heard a lot of "that's not us" or " that's not what we believe". And, that's it. Now, Muslims are offended that we would raise the question or avoid the discussion , but if you will not stand with us why would I not think you are against us? I'm pretty tired of hearing all the whining about the mean old Americans. You act like a bunch of sissies...who are you really afraid of anyway? I don't care what you wear quite frankly...go for it....we live in a free country (lucky you). But don't expect me to swallow your line of garbage or throw you a pity party (besides nobody does it better than the hurt Muslims). I'm pretty upset too lady. If you want my sympathy or understanding or support you know what you need to do in order to get it...Get it?

September 21, 2012 at 5:57 am |
    • Tim

The way you're talking, I'm surprised anyone would stand near you at all.

September 21, 2012 at 10:07 am |
  6. Alok

Let's take a look at Travyon Martin case. His death was a sad thing of course and no one deserves to die. But it is still unclear whether the person who shot him was forced to do so. And still he was sympathized. There is a lot of crime in African American community for various reasons. There have been a lot of African American criminals, robbers(doesn't mean there aren't criminals from other races). So, does that mean all African Americans are criminals??? Similarly, there have been a lot of terrorrists who are Muslims, lately. If you sympathize with Travyon Martin why don't you sympathize with Shaima Alawadi. Just because Shaima's family came to the US much later than Travyon's ancestors?
    No one knows the life of Mohammed or Jesus or any other divine beings. Just search online you'll find enough criticisms if you believe in them.

September 21, 2012 at 1:26 am |
  7. M.B.Khamenei

Wow - how do Islamics lie. Linda Sarsour should be ashamed from spreading lies. Alawadi had filed for divorce.

The police believe this was a family related murder and the husband is in hiding.

The note found is a hate note posted weeks ago on their door which the family never reported or gave to the police and kept and probably reused it after the murder.

Islamics, but not Muslims, worship a mass murderer and paedophile prophet. Lying is second nature for Islamics. And I am a Muslim and I so not worship Mohammad.

September 20, 2012 at 10:43 pm |
    • a muslim

September 20, 2012 at 11:55 pm |
    • M.B.Khamenei

Dear "a muslim". islamcity.com is not a credible source. There are dozens of websites by discredited Islamics, and this is one of them.

When Islamics worship a rapist and mass murderer of prisoners of war, how is anyone going to believe an Islamic or their website?

September 21, 2012 at 1:10 am |
    • a muslim

DEAR M.B.KHAMENEI – I have never met you, and you have never met me. Therefore, I can judge you as you are judging me ...

However, I believe this – that without any third party interference or any other persons whispering in the ears of others, educated beings (like yourself) should truly be able to make up their own minds thus forming their own conclussion in determining what "is" and "is not" Islam and what "is" and "is not" credible. Understand?

You call yourself an Intellent Muslim. If that's the case, then let other Intellent Muslims, like yourself, read what I had posted. Let them read it all – top to bottom – on their own freewill & allow them to determine what is and is not the truth & whether or whether not this source is credible.

Let the entire world see it, in fact ... Jews, Christians, Hindus, you name it. Allow them, or anyone who considers themselves "intelligent", to see it. Have them decide whether or not the source is credible. Have them decide what is and is not Islam . And, so on on their own.

They don't need help from you ....

September 21, 2012 at 9:55 am |
    • M.B.Khamenei

Dear "a muslim" (or better "a radical islamist"). I agree, let people read what they want and have an open mind. So why are you pushing a discredited mendacious website to them?

Let them find their own way and read credible websites and not mendacious websites.

You have to understand, western folks are not exactly the same as those brainwashed illiterate and uneducated goons that graduate from madrassas. Western folks care for their own education and make sure that it scientifically oriented and not made of silly little fables like:

Quran 16.79
      Do they not look at the birds, held poised (making their fly) in the midst of (the air and) the sky? Nothing holds them up but Allah. Verily in this are signs for those who believe.

I mean do you think enlightened people will believe you when you say the earth is flat??

Quran 18:86 – Sun sets in a pool of black mud at the West end of earth and earth is flat.

Hope you understand why 60% of Muslims hate islam, and wish to see the islamics all rounded up and sent to Siberia for polluting civilization with lies.

Read Ibn Warraq and open your horizons.

September 21, 2012 at 9:15 pm |
  8. Momofthree

This opinion piece was written last April. Since then, there has been doubt cast on if this was actually a hate crime. She apparently was going to file for divorce. The daughter, Fatima, was objecting to an arranged marriage, and had been caught in a car making out with another young man...The note was actually a copy of a note...how many violent criminals do something like that? – I am still expecting to hear that it was an honor killing – however that may be difficult for law enforcement to determine since the husband, son and daughter accompanied Shaima's body to Iraq for burial. I don't know why they tagged this opinion piece with the other article. This opinion piece is outdated. Instead, I would like to see that someone investigates what really happened to Shaima.

September 20, 2012 at 10:04 pm |
  9. M.B.Khamenei

Dear Linda - Are we not being hypocritical here? Neither the death of Martin or Alawadi can be classified as hate crimes yet. But you already have grabbed the high ground of "victimhood"?

But when Islamics commit murder against innocents such as in Libya, neither you nor the rest of the Islamics have anything to say about such bigotry.

Your bigotry is well on display. And I am a Muslim, but not an Islamic. I don't pray to a warlord paedophile prophet. And I don't go all sanctimonious crying victimhood and revenge when someone may suggest that the Quran may not be perfect beyond any doubt.

I think you and this article are a disservice to all intelligent Muslims in America.

September 20, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
    • a muslim

Dear M.B.Khamenei – your comment suggesting that Muslims pray to prophets hints you are not what you say you are.

September 20, 2012 at 8:01 pm |
    • M.B.Khamenei

Dear "a muslim" - Islamics pray to Allah. But Islamics WORSHIP a paedophile mass murdering prophet. I hope you see the difference. The idea of Allah and Quran comes from a mass murderer.

In any case Muslims DO NOT pray to Allah. I don't and I am a Muslim. It is just the Islamics and those who have been duped with heaven/hell stories that pray to Allah. Intelligent Muslims like me do not pray.

September 20, 2012 at 10:22 pm |
    • Mohammad Hadi Atiq Bangash

No. You are not a Muslim if you don't follow the five pillars. In fact you might as well not even talk about Islam because you aren't well informed calling the prophets mass-murderers. You can a majority of the presidents mass murderers as well as most European leaders. The world is changing but Islam has stayed the same and by not praying you aren't living as a Muslim you are equivalent as a non-believer. Stop mis-representing Islam

September 20, 2012 at 10:40 pm |
    • M.B.Khamenei

Dear Mohammad - Who are you to tell me how to live? It is not your business whether I pray or not. I don't pray to paedophiles and assassins like prophet Mohammad, and mass murderer of Jews and other people who didnt agree with him. You are ignorant about Mohammad because you have never read Ibn Warraq or Dashti. I told you I am not Islamic and consider Mohammad an evil man. You can call me kafir. I am proud that I am kafir (apostate), because I have intelligence – unlike you Islamics who have no evidence that Quran is word of Allah. You dont even know if there is this silly warmonger Allah who thinks the earth is flat. You are just guessing because you coward are calculating that if you dont you may end up in hell! Scared like a little child of the big bad wolf.

Fact is that 60% of Muslims dont care about islam and don't pray. Most Muslims consider Mohammad a charlatan. That is why I am a Muslim and you are a lousy islamic.

Best regards

September 21, 2012 at 1:04 am |
    • Diddlypoo

You just contradicted yourself. You defend your right to be and do and label yourself as what you want, and then you go on to label someone else 'a lousy Islamic.' Hypocrite much? You have the right to practice or be whatever you want: a Muslim, an Islamic, a clown, etc. So do I. And so does everyone else. This is a two way street; avoid labeling other people you don't even know. I am a Muslim, and not a "lousy Islamic" regardless of my interpretations within Islam, and I'd be incensed if anyone dared tell ME what I was. You are what you say you are; I am what I say I am. Good day.

September 21, 2012 at 1:39 am |
  10. Capt. Obvious

Notice how they call themselves Muslim Americans and not American Muslims? That says it all right there.

September 20, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
    • Nan Onnimus

I think what you wrote is the opposite of the point you were trying to make. By describing themselves as Muslim Americans, they're saying they're Americans who happen to be Muslim. "American Muslims" suggests that they're Muslims who happen to be American. So, if your point was that they consider themselves Muslims first, you failed.

September 20, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
    • 7veils

The point is they consider themselves Muslims first and Americans or whatever second. Think tribal, Shia, Sunni, etc. They think of themselves as American only when being an American benefits them.

September 20, 2012 at 4:40 pm |
    • copperhead

All ethnic groups put their heritage before their nationality Irish American African American Jewish American and so on. The only group that doesnt: American Indians....

September 20, 2012 at 10:39 pm |
  11. eleanor fitzgerald

There are no good excuses for hate crimes against anyone. There are laws and legitimate processes for dealing with those who advocate violence against Americans of any background.

September 20, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
  12. Peik

Militant Islam is an infectious disease, attaching itself to every news item, and CNN spreads it through our culture.

September 20, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
    • Kloe

How is this article militant Islam?

September 20, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
    • M.B.Khamenei

Exactly. Islam is a rather primitive religion where the spirituality can be summarized to: "Do as you are told by the Imam, the Ummat, and the Caliph, or you will not get to 72 virgins and rivers of wine, and instead you will be roasting for eternity."

It's about greed and fear.

September 20, 2012 at 4:36 pm |
    • Mnhsty

I would say the same about militant Xianity. The sooner people start thinking independently without reference to invisible spirits the better.

September 21, 2012 at 8:09 am |
  13. Sick of all of it

That picture of Treyvon was from when he was 12. Does he look that innocent today? I recently had to make the decision NOT to shoot someone, but it was close. I feel sorry for the guy who shot him. Right or wrong, it is an extremely hard thing to do.

September 20, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
    • M.B.Khamenei

This article is reeking of dishonesty and deception.

That is why she chose the picture of a 12 year old.

Lying is second nature to an Islamic. When you worship a mass murderer paedophile prophet, then anything goes.

September 20, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
  14. Daltan H

You are not Trayvon Martin! You are a BIGOT! You defile imagines of Jesus Christ and say so what? But the moment your precise prophet is ridiculed you start killing people. NOT one word from any Muslim Religious leader calling for justice for the thugs that kill. JUST SILENCE like 911. And don’t give me that Arab government leaders denounce the violence; it is just so much political BS. Don’t you dare compare yourself to an innocent child. You and your cult are far from innocent and should be held accountable.

September 20, 2012 at 12:27 pm |
    • Chris

Which images of Jesus did they defile again? Don't remember that.... I do remember the world booting Palestine off their land and refusing to recognize them as a state. I remember us kicking Iraq and Afganistan's doors down when they didn't want us to. I remember being surrounded by bigots like yourself. I remember Christians banding together to stop gay people from getting married. Those in glass houses..... I'm not suggesting they are on to something by taking heads, but if you can suggest another way for them to persuade people like you to leave them alone, I'm all ears. They'll keep killing us until there are no more of our victims to avenge. It's that simple.

September 20, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
    • M.B.Khamenei

Chris, what do you have to say about all the churches destroyed by Islamics and converts to Jesus murdered by Islamics?

September 20, 2012 at 10:47 pm |
    • Alok

It was sad Travyon got killed but it is sad the person who shot him had to shoot him also. And of course there is a lot of crime in black community. Does that make all the people from that community criminals? If you sympathize with Travyon why don't you feel the same with Shaima Alawadi? Just because her family or ancestors weren't brought to your country by force, by whites like Travyon's? I don't see any other difference. And by the way I am not a Muslim or a Christian (or belong to any other religion).

September 21, 2012 at 1:31 am |
  15. Austin Snyder

The bedrock principles of this nation are based on religious tolerance and free speech. While it is illegal to incite a riot, scream "FIRE" in a crowded theatre, or discriminate against another person for being different than you, it also means that so-called hate-speech is protected as well. That's part of the double edged sword of democracy that most new revolutionary governments don't understand. I'm not condoning any acts of violence against anyone. I also am not appologising for the content of this movie, which under US law is protected "free speech".

September 20, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
  16. meisterceister

Please keep complaining about how people are treated in the United States, because they are treated so much better in the middle east. sheesh.

September 20, 2012 at 11:21 am |
    • Chris R

So it's alright to overlook the wrongs of our own society because it's worse somewhere else? Tell me sir, exactly how does that make sense?

September 20, 2012 at 12:05 pm |
    • cliff

agree

September 20, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
    • Barbara

And this excuses the cold-blooded murder of an innocent woman HOW??

September 20, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
    • M.B.Khamenei

Barbara, she was killed by her husband. She had filed for divorce claiming half the property. The husband is in hiding.

September 21, 2012 at 1:16 am |
  17. Fred

Religion is merely a last refuge of stupidity and ignorance. Islam, Christianity, same deal different quirky rules, all just supersti-tion shrouded in gobbledygook lingo to fool the stupid sheeple.

In addition, any "god" worth the name would be able to see through any clothing that you might wear, to say the least.

September 20, 2012 at 11:17 am |
  18. swaggie

Thank you for a very well written and informative piece, on the subject of hate crimes, shouldn't the recent bigoted video be also regarded as a hate crime-why aren't the authorities here prosecuting the makers of that vile video?

September 20, 2012 at 10:14 am |
    • MANHANDLER 2

Don't be ignorant. It was not the video that caused all this rucus. It was 09/11/2012 the aniversary of their tyrany against us. You would be stupid to fall for it was the video that caused the MUSLIMS to go crazy. I don't see the CHRISTIANS going crazy when a crucifix was put in tolite full of urine and Mary with cow dung on her. Did you see the CHRISTIANS burning down the museum because of this. No, as bad as people talk about CHRISTIANS being hateful. Muslims are just brainwashed and need to grow up.

September 20, 2012 at 11:25 am |
    • Amy Darby

@ MANHANDLER 2 Actually, tell that to the Spanish Inquisition and over 17 Crusades... one of which was called the 'children's crusade' because they had run out of adult men to send to invade. Idiot.

September 20, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
    • copperhead

there is no hate crime in making a youtube video no matter how vile or insulting- that is freedom of speech which we cherish here and i would defend your right to make a similarly stupid and juvenile vid about Jesus. Im not agreeing with the message just his or your right to present it because if we silence one voice we silence 1000. I know this is hard for people living in cultures which gov dicates and controls everything. This right to speech is what makes American democracy unique

September 20, 2012 at 10:48 pm |
  19. Burning Bush

I'm sure you Muslims felt awfully victimized on 9/11.
    LOL

September 20, 2012 at 10:11 am |
    • essenceR

Actually Burning Bush...

They lost some of their loved ones too, on 9/11 It's been stated many times in the media...And NO I'm not muslim...I'm not even protestant...i'm no religeon because quite Frankly...people use it as a reason for hate. I'm simply a carrying spiritualist who is saddened by all of the hatred and anger the human race faces...So please...stop with the judgment...

September 20, 2012 at 11:10 am |
    • Lynda

essenceR...do us all a favor and stop ... after every sentence.

September 20, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
    • essenceR

Why Lynda...does...this...bother...you???...wow...some...people...look...for...reasons...to...be...mean...and...complain.

September 20, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
  20. fiftyfive55

I wouldnt worry about these folks because they are not and never will be accepted as Americans,that's why they wont assimilate into our culture,and just because "they " think they are Americans,doesnt make it so.

September 20, 2012 at 9:58 am |
    • essenceR

Wow Fiftyfive..

I'm sure the native americans thought the same of us when we came over and took their country, and THEN made them assimilate to US! Wow...brillant.

September 20, 2012 at 11:11 am |
    • Pppa

They won't accept America or embrace being members of this society, but their children will. They already are. This unwillingness to assimilate will be gone with the current generation.

essenceR – are you advocating acceptance of Islamic domination of this country?

September 20, 2012 at 11:30 am |
    • Chris R

You think they won't assimilate because they wear headscarves? Do you think people who aren't fat and don't watch reality TV also refuse to assimilate? Tell me sir, what does assimilation mean to you? Does it mean that everyone has to look and act like you do? To me, assimilation means that they embrace the *ideals* of America – freedom, tolerance, and active participation in the political process. From what you are writing I've a feeling that *you* haven't assimilated.

September 20, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • Chris R

Pppa – the idea that Islam is going to dominate this country is downright insane. There is no possible way that can happen – there simply are not enough Muslims in this country to make it an issue and there simply never will be.

September 20, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
    • essenceR

Pppa I'm not avocating anything...Just because i'm pointing a few facts out doesn't mean i'm advocating. But we also don't need to be rude when stating an opinion which, I feel fiftyfive was.

September 20, 2012 at 12:31 pm |
    • 65snake

Is 55 your IQ?

September 20, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
    • fiftyfive55

do any of you replying to me realize that everywhere muslims go,controversy follows ?
      how about terrorism or violence or that farce called shariah law ?
      sorry,but they will always be outsiders here and that's a fact

September 20, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
    • 7veils

This observation is point one. By abiding by the rules of the Muslim faith one can never accept the laws and the culture of the USA. Until US culture follows the guidelines of Sharia law and the Koran Muslim Americans will always be in opposition of the country in which they live. As most Muslim will state: "I am a Muslim first and an American second."

September 20, 2012 at 4:08 pm |