home
RSS
April 7th, 2012

Taking a rare tour of a Mormon temple

By Eric Marrapodi and Brian Todd, CNN

Kansas City, Missouri (CNN) – Elder William Walker slipped white booties over his black wing-tip shoes and instructed his guests to do the same as he led them into the newest Mormon temple in the world.

This day was the first chance the public had to see inside the sacred space for the area’s 49,000 Mormons, and it was also one of the last.

On May 6, when Thomas S. Monson, the head of the 14 million member Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, dedicates this temple, the doors will close forever to the public. The church said it expects as many as 100,000 visitors in Kansas City before the temple will be closed to the public.

After that, only temple-recommended Mormons will be able to walk through the heavy wooden and stained-glass doors.

“This is a sacred space, set apart place for only those who are devout followers of the faith,” Walker said.

For Mormons, temples serve as places of contemplation, instruction and worship experiences, like weddings and posthumous baptisms.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

The 67-year-old Walker is the executive director of the Temple Department, and he is the point man for the church’s 137 temples.

Walker is a top official in the LDS church as a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy and he reports directly to Monson. The Canadian-born hockey fanatic has been a lifelong member of the church. He graduated from Brigham Young University, served a Mormon mission to Japan and spent time in the private sector working in securities and investment banking before being called to serve the church full-time in 2002.

Kansas City’s temple is the latest to open. The church has announced it will build 29 temples across five continents. Construction is under way in Paris and Rome, and temples are planned for Peru and South Africa.

“We’re building temples where the church is grown and have a concentration of members,” he said.

Outside the new Mormon temple in Kansas City, Missouri.

Inside the temple the required first stop is the Recommend Desk. After the dedication, only Mormons who have a recommend card are able to enter and participate in worship. The personalized cards are given by local church leaders to adherents who profess to be living in accordance with church teachings.

As he explained the process, Walker reached into his wallet, pushed his Utah driver’s license aside and pulled out his recommend card, which was endorsed by Monson, his bishop. Walker said his credit-card-sized recommend card, like all others, is only good for two years.

CNN was invited by church officials to tour the temple with Walker before its dedication. The church denied CNN's request to film inside the space, saying it was against church policy. The LDS church provided still images after the tour, which accurately depicted key parts of the temple. In a rare move, CNN was permitted to film inside the front of the temple at the Recommend Desk, but no farther.

"It's not about secret. It's about sacred,” Walker said after the tour, making what the church sees as a key distinction. “We feel that it's a very sacred and special place and therefore it is reserved for those worship functions and those ordinances that take place in the temple. It's not about secret."

Walker said the policy is not unlike that for Shinto shrines in Japan, where he served his mission.

But it's a thin line between sacred and secret. Public tours of the temple are only available when they are first built or undergo massive renovations. After that, outsiders and Mormons who are not temple recommended are kept out, even from wedding ceremonies.

In the sealing room, where eternal weddings take place, Walker points out the altar at the center of the room. The bride and groom kneel facing each other and the officiant stands off to the side. The room is richly decorated with Swarovski crystal chandeliers and massive gilded mirrors on either side of the room, and Walker raves about the design on the white carpet, carefully explaining how local artisans cut the meticulous pattern by hand.

Despite the grand size of the building, each room is small: This is the biggest of the three sealing rooms, and its capacity is just 49 people.

Guests are welcome at Sunday worship at one of the church’s 18,000 meeting houses, Walker is quick to note. The temple, he observes, “is a sacred, special place that’s unique. There are only 137 of these temples in all the world.”

The temple also contains a gleaming baptismal font. Though it’s a point of pride for Mormons, it has been controversial elsewhere. A church ceremony called “proxy baptisms” by Mormons includes posthumous baptisms of Jews, some of whom have protested the practice.

The baptismal font at the newest Mormon temple.

However, in Mormon doctrine, baptism is essential for salvation. While converts to the faith are baptized in services at local wards, the weekly meeting place for services open to the public, proxy baptisms take place only in the temple and in private.

The proxy baptisms are supposed to be for Mormons’ ancestors who were not of the faith. Walker said the baptism serves as an invitation to accept Mormonism as an avenue into heaven.

Explainer: How and why do Mormons baptize the dead?

At the temple, Walker took his visitors through the process as it is supposed to work.

The font rests on 12 oxen, which he said represent the tribes of Israel.

Adherents change into white gowns he jokingly referred to as "jumpsuits," provided by the temple. A male priest leads the proxy into the waist-high water, gives the blessing and the name of the ancestor, then the proxy is lowered into the water, fully immersed, then brought up to the surface. The desk next to the font has a small monitor and a light. That person's job is to record the act for the church's central database.

When the temple begins operation, Walker said, this is a scene that will play out “hundreds of times a day.”

But some Mormons have used the church’s extensive genealogy database to baptize others who are not Mormon ancestors, such as the murdered Jewish reporter Daniel Pearl and holocaust victims like Anne Frank. It’s a practice that has outraged Jewish leaders.

“When people violate the church policy of doing baptisms for those who our leaders have said we’re not going to do that, they’re acting on their own in contradiction of church policy,” he said. “We’re unhappy about that. We love our Jewish friends. We don’t want to offend them or anyone else by our religious practices.”

“We’re sorry. We live by our word and when we say we’re going to do something, we’re going to try and do it,” Walker said.

He promised disciplinary action.

“We’re now tracking those who’ve done this contrary to church policy and we’re going to shut down their access to the church’s database, Family Search, so they can’t do this.”

He acknowledges interest in proxy baptisms, and other Mormon practices, has spiked thanks to Mormon Mitt Romney’s run for president.

While the church takes no position on party politics nor allows its officials to endorse candidates, Walker can see some good coming out of Romney's run for the White House.

“I think it’s perfectly understandable people who are considering him would want to know more about the church he espouses,” he said. “In many ways it may be a good thing that people will want to know more. Maybe some of the old ideas about the church that have persisted in American culture can change.”

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Belief • Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints • Content Partner • Faith Now • TV-The Situation Room

soundoff (4,366 Responses)
  1. ?

What would the Mormon church do if someone suddenly appeared on the scene, presented 10 new books to add to the Book of Mormon and said it was OK to have 8 wives? The Mormon church would fight tooth and nail to discredit that person. Which is exactly what true Christians are doing by trying to discredit Joseph Smith and his followers. By LDS claiming to be Christians, you are making a mockery out of my faith. Joseph Smith was a con artist and a megalomaniac.
    Which is why he was driven out of the United States. Believe what you want, but don't call yourself Christians. That is the highest of all blasphemies.

April 10, 2012 at 2:36 pm |

OUCH!
      I could't have said it better muhself.

April 10, 2012 at 3:01 pm |
  2. ImAProudMormonBelieveIt

Dear All Of You Mormon Haters,
    Yes, this means you cause I KNOW it is you.
    My religion is true and will always be.
    You do not know ANY thing about my religion.
    So do not make any USELESS lies about us.
    Also, Yes, Romney is a High priest.
    BUT my dad is a high priest
    My friends dad is a high priest and so is
    Mitt Romney
    So,
    To be sincere.
    Romney is on his free will to run for president.
    -A fellow Mormon

P.S. Romneys gonna win:P
    P.S.S. Its okay i love you guys too.;D

April 10, 2012 at 2:31 pm |

When America discovers Planet Kolob, magic underwear and LDS's real intentions,
      MITT ROMNEY IS TOAST!

April 10, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
    • sickofmomos

Thank you for that, 10 year old improudmorm....
      Hmmm...kinda made me think you momons are a little crazier than before. Having a child get on here and post a comment?

April 10, 2012 at 3:43 pm |
  3. ImAProudMormonBelieveIt

Dear All Of You Mormon Haters,
    Yes, this means you cause I KNOW it is you.
    My religion is true and will always be.
    You do not know ANY thing about my religion.
    So do not make any USELESS crap about us.
    Also, Yes, Romney is a High priest.
    BUT my dad is a high priest
    My friends dad is a high priest and so is
    Mitt Romney
    So,
    To be sincere.
    Romney is on his free will to run for president.
    -A fellow Mormon

P.S. Romneys gonna win:P
    P.S.S. Its okay i love you guys too.;D

April 10, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
    • biologixco

Theres no mormon haters here.
      Mormons are our American brothers and Sisters
      Its your sect of religion you subscribe to and its heretical ideas that concern us.
      Even more, its the concern MITT ROMNEY could become POTUS of our great land.
      We AINT gonna let it happen.
      Now if THAT offends you...too bad.

April 10, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
  4. The Woof

Live and let live. One of the most kind and caring person that I have met in my life was a Mormon but I can also say that about a Catholic, a Baptist and even a Muslim. The crux of the matter is this, if a person lives the life of the best teachings of his or her religion then the world would be a much better place. There'd be less hate, greed, anger, jealousy, war, hunger, poverty in this world. I read the Bible and I trust that to be the word of God written by men inspired by Him to do so. I know that my comment will bring some derision but I don't care for I will believe what I believe and not worry about what others may say or think. I will just keep my faith strong and continue in it.

April 10, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
  5. biologixco

Yesterday members of the LDS goon squad tried to hijack my blog name and post entries on my behalf.
    Is THAT the kind of dishonesty the LDS church is founded on and espouses?

April 10, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
    • biologixco

Is a boogeyman Kolob hex on me next?

April 10, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
    • biologixco

where is the mormon outrage?

April 10, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
    • Blake

Ha ha seriously? You have the most entertainig posts on here. None of it is factual but its good entertainment.

April 10, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
      • biologixco

If I made you smile, Ive accomplished something...

April 10, 2012 at 2:52 pm |
    • Yawn

I love how, with his irrational responses and obvious cries for attention, he seems shocked the Mormons don't wish to continue engaging with him in witless debate.

April 10, 2012 at 2:21 pm |
    • heguido

I'm starting to suspect that I've been arguing with a 12-years-old...

April 10, 2012 at 2:27 pm |
  6. biologixco

Can I have some $100 a square yard carpeting please?

April 10, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
    • biologixco

I heard that the carpet was going to be ripped out after the public opening because it was no longer pure.
      Are you going to dumpsterize it?
      A poor schmuck like me would like a little for MY humble home...

April 10, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
  7. Kate

Haters gonna hate... Instead of posting some narrow-minded comment of your own, based on your limited or biased understanding of the Mormon religion, why don't we all go the source and learn a little bit more about what Mormons really stand for and believe in. From what I understand (which I'm not claiming to be everything..) they stand for integrity and kindness and respect and values. I know there are great people all over the world who also stand for these things, but let's be honest– those traits are vanishing in today's society very quickly. Why hate on people who are just trying to live a good life? If you don't want to be a Mormon, then no one is forcing you to do so. Other Mormons won't likely be hating on your way of life (even if they don't choose to live it themselves). Are you really happy? Figure it out.. Live true to what you personally believe in, and then see if that makes happy. If it doesn't, maybe you should think about it a little bit deeper, make a few adjustments and try again. And by all means, allow others that same privilege, Mormons included.

April 10, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
    • sickofmomos

Many of us aren't "hating on" mormons on this chat board. We're trying to get straight answers from you people and all you do is put us down and give us your testimony. You have to admit that if we're going to have a President in the White House that believes in doing secret things based on a man (Joseph Smith) with a criminal history, that declared himself a general against the American Government, then we have a right to question. I mean come on. Joseph Smith himself said he wanted to create a Theocratic Monarchy in place of the American Government!!! Now you want one of his followers to be in the White House? So he can hand the country over to his church to follow the White Horse Prophesy? (Look that one up)

April 10, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
    • biologixco

Id be happy if they would sell me some magic underwear.
      But *snif* they wont even answer my questions about MItt Romneys tax cheating...

April 10, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
    • anticon.

"If you don't want to be a Mormon, then no one is forcing you to do so."

....Until I've died and my Mormon relative decides for me, you mean.

April 10, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
  8. biologixco

The LDS temple in Manti, Utah was completed in the mid 2000's and features extensive symbolism of the human body throughout the structure. The crown jewel of the Manti Temple are the two phallic symbol staircases that wind up in the the corner towers of the building and represent human DNA strands from semen found in joseph smith's magic underwear. Google "magic underwear" – it's amazing what the Mormons knew about semen 100 years before Watson and Dick.

April 10, 2012 at 1:33 pm |
    • Todd

biologixco-you know you are spreading tall tales trying to look for argument.
      My dad taught me that wrestling with pigs only makes you muddy and they enjoy the experience.
      I hope anyone with half a brain would research for themselves before listening to someones opinion and adopting it for their own. I have been a member of the LDS church for over forty years and know hundreds if not thousands and have heard non of these tales your claiming as truths. But I must admit you are creative – a DNA staircase really?

April 10, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
      • biologixco

Why do you get to spread fables mentioning Watson and Crick? The only "science" involved with your church is the "science" of the scientology cult. You know, your buddies in california

April 10, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
    • unknownmonkey26

You know that biologixco is full of something based on his opening line, "The Manti temple was opened in the mid 2000's."

If the opening line of a post is very, very incorrect, how in the world can anyone expect the rest of the post to be even remotely true.

(The manti temple was opened in May 1888. see http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/manti/ for more info)

April 10, 2012 at 2:57 pm |
      • biologixco

I merely cut and posted (haha plagiarized) from a previous comment by one of your mormon followers postulating that LDS knew about DNA before Watson and Crick. Thats a fable. To mention Watson and Crick in the same breath as mormonism and the false prophet Joseph Smith, might offend a scientist. Im juz sayin...

April 10, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
  9. Jamie

It is a shame that there is so much prejudice against religion in a nation based on freedom of such–it is sad when we cannot find better things to do than mock or worry about things that should not concern us if we are not interested in them. The LDS Church is a great thing for those who truly believe it and live it–it is also a great humanitarian resource to millions around the world. You don't have to join, don't have to believe, don't have to mock, and yet those who mock the hardest are those who have walked away from it, those who have denied the things they have been taught in it, and somehow they never seem to find peace. I am so surprised at how much time is spent investing in studying about it and researching it, if it is so offensive. And yet, it tells right in the Book of Mormon that if you really want to know, sincerely desire the truth, and ask, it will be made known–but it seems many are not seeking for the truth, simply what will ease their conscience. I guess when you walk in darkness, the light seems overwhelming when it comes and you simply want to hide your eyes. Yet, when you walk in light, you see more clearly all things around, things as they are, things as they can be, and it is so much easier to find peace when you are surrounded by light. I am so grateful for these beautiful temples, for their symbolic meaning, the uniting of families for eternity, the love of a God who wants us to return to Him. So, I guess in all I am just sad for those who feel they have to bash, mock, or even worry about something that they don't understand. I don't like green olives, therefore I don't buy them or eat them–I definitely don't research trying to find anything wrong with them, mock them, mock those that like them and eat them, or try to protest their existence. Kind of a silly example, but yet it seems to fit.

April 10, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
    • sickofmomos

Yaaaaaaawwwwwwwn Jamie....I'm sorry, you lost me somewhere while you were walking in pretty light or something.
      I'm not trying to be mean (ok, I'm failing at that miserably, but I'm tired of mormons constantly covering up what the discussion on this board is really about) and it's fine that you like your temple, but we want to know why you go to the temple to do secret rituals when you have so many regular church buildings. No other religion does that.
      So we are concerned about Romney going into a secret building doing secret things while we pay his rent at the White House. Does that make sense? Aside from your fluffy feelings, can you see why we don't want a mormon President running the USA?

April 10, 2012 at 1:38 pm |
    • Blake Jensen

Dear sickofmomos. No need to worry my friend, you are not allowed to bring your cell phones, laptops, or any form of communication in the temple, and when Mitt goes to the temple, he's going to be close to God, and for no other reason. So don't worry. You really wouldn't think much of the ceremonies if you could see them, but to the temple attendee, they are symbolic and are rich with meaning as to the purpose of this life and how we can make it back to live with Heavenly Father again.

April 10, 2012 at 1:54 pm |
    • Tyler

Sickofmomos, I understand your worry. I'm a Mormon, I've been through all parts of the temple, including the endowment ceremony and a couple of marriage ceremonies (one for me, and one for my brother), and I totally get the skepticism and fear people have of a Mormon in the White House. I believe that fear is unjustified and based on gross misunderstandings, but I get it.

One thing I wish people would acknowledge is that Mitt has worked hard to keep his religious beliefs separate from his work. I would think it would be reasonable to assume that this trend would continue into presidency. Doesn't it seem paranoid to think that he has some deeper plot of overthrowing the government and placing the Mormon church in power? At least as paranoid as the extreme right-wingers who thought Obama was in league with Muslim terrorists. Let's be reasonable.

And in answer to your questions about the temple ceremonies, there are some really good explanations on the mormon.org website. Many members of the church have written about what happens in the temple on that site. Here's a direct link:

While the nitty gritty details of the endowment are held sacred by us, and therefore not discussed in detail outside of the temple, I can tell you several things that I hope will clarify that nothing crazy or weird is going on in the temple. We don't sacrifice seagulls or perform ritualistic chants or whatever. I don't know all the misconceptions that are out there, but there's a lot of them, and for the most part, they're false.

The least understood ceremony performed in the temple is the endowment, and I believe most of the mystery and misconception surrounds this. Here's an outline of what happens in the endowment:

1) We are taught what we hold as eternal truths about where we came from, why we are here, and where we are going. The majority of this is straight from the scriptures, and some is taken from what we believe to be direct revelation through the prophet Joseph Smith. We teach these truths outside of the temple, but because we hold the ceremony itself sacred, I, and most endowed members, wouldn't feel it would be appropriate to write things out word for word. But here's a link explaining our beliefs in these areas:

2) We make covenants with God. We believe a covenant is a binding, two-way promise with God. The covenants we make we hold extremely sacred. The purpose of making these covenants is to help us grow closer to God. Again, while I don't feel it would be appropriate to list these covenants on a public forum where it is so easy to be misunderstood and mocked, I can tell you that the covenants we make are 100% about the laws of the gospel as taught by Jesus Christ. We make promises to obey these laws. You can learn more about what we hold as "the gospel" and the laws of the gospel here:

I can tell you that everything in the endowment covenants is contained on that page.

3) We pray. We pray for those we care about and love. We pray for guidance from our Heavenly Father. We take time to pause and reflect on our lives and see where we might have need of God's grace and mercy. We pray about our worries and fears. We pray about anything anyone might pray about. It's prayer, pure and simple. I feel that this time is one of the most special parts of being in the temple. I feel close to my Heavenly Father and Savior when I am in the temple, and the time I'm able to spend in prayer and meditation is precious to me.

As has been stated so many times, our temple ceremonies are not secret. They are sacred. There is a difference. When you hold something sacred, it bothers you to see it mocked, and you tend to hold it close to you. The temple is precious to me. I don't feel there is anything to hide from the world about what goes on in the temple. This is why we hold open houses before temple dedications. We want people to see for themselves. But because the temple is so precious to us, it usually doesn't feel right to go around outlining the ceremonies from beginning to end. There are too many people who don't really want to know about us, they just want to mock. But I tell you, our doors are open to the world. The temples are not for a select few. They are for everybody. I don't know how to say it more plainly than that.

A final word about "magic underwear." It isn't magic underwear, and there's no need to call it that. There are several instances in the Bible of God's people wearing certain clothing to remind them of the Savior or of the covenants they made with God. Look at the temple ceremonies outlined to Moses if you don't believe me. The undergarments we wear after making covenants with God in the temple are to remind us daily of the covenants we've made. They are supposed to help us remember our Savior in our day to day lives. Every morning I put them on and I remember the temple. Every time I change, I remember my Savior. I have a constant reminder on my body of my commitment to serve Christ. It's a beautiful thing, really.

The whole "magic" thing is from a simple misunderstanding. We believe that obedience to God's laws brings an increase of His influence in our lives. By making covenants in the temple, we believe that we are able to draw nearer to God by obedience to those laws. Somehow, this belief has been twisted and extended to the garment by our mockers to say that we believe the garment gives us magical protection. It doesn't, any more than any other piece of clothing. I hope that helps.

April 10, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
    • sickofmomos

Thanks Blake and Tyler, but I'm a return missionary and was sealed in the temple with my wife before leaving the church. I have insight into the temple rituals that will contradict your fuzzy, sweet testimonial posts.
      Dang Tyler, that post had to have given you hand cramps...it's so long! Don't you think that people looking for a truth might look elsewhere than on a post written by a one-sided mormon?

April 10, 2012 at 3:47 pm |
    • Tyler

I guess I was under the impression your questions regarding what goes on in the temple were sincere. My apologies if my sincere, straightforward, and honest reply wasn't what you were looking for. As a returned missionary, why do you need to ask about what goes on in the temple? If you're here to troll Mormons, good for you, but there are plenty of honest people who will watch that video and scroll through these comments. Hopefully my words won't be wasted on them.

It never stops amazing me how much energy some people put into tearing down my religion. And how deceitful they are. You do a fabulous job at what you do.

April 10, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
    • pastmorm

Tyler! The anger bud! I have a lot of questions myself, but I'm curious as to why you can provide your own person answers to the questions asked by sickofmomos but you can't give evidence of why you people have to keep things secret in the temple when you have regular church buildings like everyone else. We don't want a president that keeps secrets from us. Sacred is NOT secret.

April 10, 2012 at 5:05 pm |
    • Tyler

pastmorm–I'm not sure I understood everything you said, but I'll try to answer the question "Why do Mormons have public and private meetings?" Is this what you're getting at?

This isn't new. When the Jews had a temple, they held regular worship services in the synagogue that everybody attended, as I understand, and the temple was used for special services. I don't claim to be an expert on the Jewish religion, but from what I understand of the Old Testament, only the high priest of the temple was allowed to enter the Holy of Holies. In the Old Testament, the high priest would sometimes receive special instruction for angels or from God.

So the idea of temple vs church worship certainly isn't new. And the idea of restricting entrance to the temple isn't new.

And there is a big difference between sacred and secret. If you aren't willing to try to understand the difference, I'm afraid I can't help you. It's a concept that has been illustrated in literature, movies, music, etc. It certainly isn't peculiar to my religion.

April 10, 2012 at 5:50 pm |
  10. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things .

April 10, 2012 at 1:24 pm |

VOTING changes things.
      MItt Romney is DISHONEST.
      DONT VOTE ROMNEY 2012!

April 10, 2012 at 1:26 pm |
    • anticon.

Things like state of mind and receptiveness to science.

April 10, 2012 at 4:09 pm |
  11. Ethan

The LDS temple in Manti, Utah was completed in the mid 1800's and features extensive symbolism of the human body throughout the structure. The crown jewel of the Manti Temple are the two double helix staircases that wind up in the the corner towers of the building and represent human DNA strands. Google "Manti Temple Human Body" – it's amazing what the Mormons knew about DNS 100 years before Watson and Crick.

April 10, 2012 at 1:16 pm |

Now thats a crock.
      To even mention Watson and Crick in the same sentence with mormonism
      HAHAHAHAHa

April 10, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
    • sickofmomos

Nice try Ethan....the spiral symbol has been an ancient symbol since time immemorial. Take for example The Caduceus which Hermes, the God of communication carried with him. A spiral similar to a strand of DNA. Hmmmmm.....
      If you want to get into the study of Semiotics, you're going to find that each mormon symbol can be traced to a more ancient symbol.
      Oops! There might be some scientists on this chat board. Oh no! :o)

April 10, 2012 at 1:22 pm |
    • biologixco

Joseph Smith invented the Polymerase Chain Reaction in 1840.
      Just about the time mormons were run out of Illinois.
      DNA profiling proves Joseph Smith is not related in any way to God or Jesus!
      Lets invent some new history! hahaha

April 10, 2012 at 1:30 pm |
  12. biologixco

Earth to Kolob Earth to Kolob
    Those earthlings have discovered our secret.
    MITT ROMNEY IS THE HIGH PRIEST OF A CULT
    Whadda we do, O Great Commander Smith?

April 10, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
  13. Sandra

Personally, I think the Mormons are headed by greedy pedophiles. I'll never set foot inside any of their temples, even if you pay me.

April 10, 2012 at 1:02 pm |

OPEN QUESTION FOR THE LDS MONITORS HERE:
      Willard "Mitt" Romney is an elder and HIGH PRIEST of the mormons.
      He was caught cheating the government on taxes by keeping a SWISS BANK ACCOUNT!
      IS THAT THE KIND OF DISHONEST LEADERSHIP THE MORMONS TEACH?

April 10, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
    • Blake Jensen

The church has no pedophiles, if a member of the church did that they would be excommunicated from the church. The church teaches everyone to be honest and do as Jesus would do. None of the members of the church are perfect, only Jesus Christ was. I don't know to much about Mitt's taxes, but if anything that was illegal about Romney's taxes wouldn't it be taken care of by the IRS?

April 10, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
    • Blake Jensen

The church has no pedophiles, if a member of the church did that they would be excommunicated from the church. The church teaches everyone to be honest and do as Jesus would do. None of the members of the church are perfect, only Jesus Christ was. I don't know to much about Mitt's taxes, but if there was anything that was illegal about Romney's taxes wouldn't it be taken care of by the IRS?

April 10, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
    • Todd

Sandra, I have no I idea were you obtained the idea regarding greedy pedophiles, I can assure you that is not the case. The leadership position is lay clergy which means they are not paid for their service. Take some time research it for yourself -You will discover a people who make great sacrifices of time and personal money to help others. The LDS church has zero tolerance for improper acts against children.

April 10, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
  14. HR

What's funny is after they do the tours of the new Temples, they tear everything out and redo it so that no one, besides people with a Temple recommend, will know what it's really like in there. I have so many issues with this religion but that practice is just strange...

April 10, 2012 at 1:00 pm |
    • Rod

That is not true at all. What you see now is how it will be for many years.

April 10, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
    • Blake Jensen

That is completely incorrect. They will not redo the interior of the temple. I go to the temple weekly and the pictures are very accurate. I know the temple is where I feel closest to God.

April 10, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
    • Zack

Actually, that is not true at all. Nothing is changed after the dedication. Nice try, but that was a completely ignorant comment.

April 10, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
    • biologixco

They could tear it out and donate it to poor people, but they landfill it instead!
      Thats not green.
      Thats greedy...

April 10, 2012 at 1:23 pm |
    • biologixco

Hey! I need some $100 a square yard carpet in my home.

April 10, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
    • Blake

I do not know where you got your information from my friend but it is a bad source. As a member of the LDS faith and someone that has been in these temples many times, I can tell you that it is all the exact same.

April 10, 2012 at 1:30 pm |
    • Todd

HR-The buildings are not altered for decades until they are remodeled. It would not be logical to do that, Temple open houses are so the public can see the interior and they can hopefully better understand the buildings purpose. Everyone is welcome until it is dedicated. Some carpeting may need to be replaced due to foot traffic. Some Temple open houses have had over 250,000 visitors even with white booties and plastic on the carpets that is a lot of foot traffic.

April 10, 2012 at 2:57 pm |
  15. ?

There is office space within eyesight of the temple in Salt Lake City that is home to the Mormon "truthsquad." It is literally staffed 24 hours a day. Its mission? Safeguard the reputation of the Mormon church. How? Monitoring all forms of media. With special emphasis on the internet. If you are a regular on this board, you are reading their handiwork. The budget for this operation will expand exponentially when Romney is the nominee. The heirarchy of the the Mormon church is terrified of the scrutiny that is coming. Google "Mark Hofmann" You will see their handiwork.

April 10, 2012 at 12:59 pm |

AN OPEN QUESTION FOR THE LDS MONITORS HERE:
      Willard "Mitt" Romney is an elder and HIGH PRIEST of the mormons.
      He was caught cheating the government on taxes by keeping a SWISS BANK ACCOUNT!
      IS THAT THE KIND OF DISHONEST LEADERSHIP THE MORMONS TEACH?

April 10, 2012 at 1:09 pm |
    • biologixco

Bring on the LDS goon squad

April 10, 2012 at 1:10 pm |
    • Blake Jensen

I'm not on any church committee, I am a college student who is currently work, and I know the church is true. My motive, the church has brought me more happiness in this world because it teaches about Jesus Christ and what we need to do to live with God one day, and I want everyone to experience that here on earth. There is a solution to every problem, and that comes from guidance from our Heavenly Father. The church teaches everyone to be honest and do as Jesus would do. None of the members of the church are perfect, only Jesus Christ was. I don't know to much about Mitt's taxes, but if there was anything that was illegal about Romney's taxes wouldn't it be taken care of by the IRS?

April 10, 2012 at 1:31 pm |
    • Blake

What's sad, besides this ridiculous comment, as that a lot of people will believe you.

April 10, 2012 at 1:33 pm |
  16. biologixco

Im a mormon
    Your a mormon
    Wouldn't YOU like to be a mormon too?

April 10, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
  17. biologixco

America tasted the tea.
    Now its time to spit that foul brew out

April 10, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
  18. biologixco

Willard "Mitt" Romney is an elder and HIGH PRIEST of the mormons.
    He was caught cheating the government on taxes by keeping a SWISS BANK ACCOUNT!
    IS THAT THE KIND OF DISHONEST LEADERSHIP THE MORMONS TEACH?

April 10, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
    • biologixco

No response from the little mormon robots?

April 10, 2012 at 12:28 pm |

Earth to Kolob Earth to Kolob
      Commander Romney speaking...
      Those pesky Americans are on to me.
      What shall I do?

April 10, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
    • sickofmomos

It's hard for the mormons to respond anymore because a lot of them are finding out things they didn't even know about their own church beginnings...probably freaking them out. The ones that do respond are obviously the unstable ones that are looking to knock of a 7-11. LOL!

April 10, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
    • biologixco

Wow! over an hour with no response.
      Cat got your tongue?

April 10, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
  19. biologixco

heguido
    Just a thought...
    It is easy: All mormons are good leaders
    Is it THAT easy Heguido?
    Willard "Mitt" Romney is an elder and HIGH PRIEST of the mormons.
    He was caught cheating the government on taxes by keeping a SWISS BANK ACCOUNT!
    IS THAT THE KIND OF DISHONEST LEADERSHIP THE MORMONS TEACH?
    you response please...

April 10, 2012 at 12:24 pm |
  20. heguido

Those who are quoting "facts" about the history of the church.
    Would you study the history of America from the "facts" found in a Bin Laden's Handbook? Obviously not, because those "facts" would actually be out of context misrepresentations, far-fetched claims, half-trues, or even plain lies.
    Why, then, do you suggest that we should study the history of "mormonism" from the writings of their enemies?

April 10, 2012 at 12:22 pm |
    • sickofmomos

Right heguido,
      So the books we use to study the facts of the mormon church include, but are not limited to: Mormon Doctrine written by Bruce R. McConkie. The history of the Church written (and recalled 15 years ago by the LDS church) by Joseph Smith (where he says he howls at the moon and that he has done more than any man on earth...ever....etc). The General Discourses written by your prophet Brigham Young (most of these have been recalled by the church, but if you look on ebay you should be able to find them). Should I continue heguido? These are your own books, and they say the VERY things other people have mentioned on this talk board...mormon godhood, temple rituals, blood oaths, secret names, etc....

April 10, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
    • heguido

Do you know what "out-of-context" means? You use the part that fits your needs, and actively hide the rest.
      C'mon, you obviously know what you are doing.
      Why the bitterness?

April 10, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
    • sickofmomos

heguido, who is calling the kettle what here?????
      What am I taking out of context. You don't think comparing someones opinion to bin laden's "booklet" (whatever that is...unless it's something you have yourself?) to getting proof about a religion from an outside resource. I, unlike you, listed many mormon resources that give the very evidence of your strange and cultist beliefs. From the very mouths of your own past leaders!
      Can you say anything in your defense that is remotely intellectual or are you going to continue to go down with the ship you're on?

April 10, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
    • Amber

Excellent point.

April 10, 2012 at 12:49 pm |

Speaking of enemies...
      Is THAT the kind of dishonesty the LDS church is founded on and espouses?

April 10, 2012 at 2:03 pm |