home
RSS
My Take: 7 life lessons from a Holocaust survivor
Author Caroline Stoessinger, right, befriended Holocaust survivor Alice Herz-Sommers.
April 19th, 2012

My Take: 7 life lessons from a Holocaust survivor

Editor's Note: Caroline Stoessinger, a concert pianist, is the author of "A Century of Wisdom: Lesson's From the Life of Alice Herz-Sommer, the World's Oldest Living Holocaust Survivor."

By Caroline Stoessinger, Special to CNN

At age 108, Alice Herz-Sommers is the world's oldest survivor of the Holocaust. She was imprisoned at Theresienstadt, which was conceived by Hitler as a "model" concentration camp.

Herz-Sommers - Alice, as I know her - is a pianist. In between summer 1943 and the camp's liberation at the end of the war, she played more than 100 concerts at Theresienstadt. Most were solo recitals culled from memory from her extensive repertoire. She has survived for more than a century with a profound faith in humanity intact and a smile on her face.

As music is her kind of prayer, Alice still practices piano - Bach, Beethoven, Schubert – for three hours every day.

I got to know her in London, where she now lives, through mutual friends who are musicians, historians and Holocaust survivors. For Holocaust Remembrance Day, here are 7 lessons she has taught me:

1. Hatred only begets hatred

Alice recognizes that anyone, anywhere, and at any time can adopt hatred and, worse, can infect others with its venom. Hatred that may begin with one person, like a single pebble cast into a lake, can spread out incrementally to larger and larger groups, and even to entire nations.

"We are responsible for our actions and our words," she says. " And each of us must vigilantly guard against prejudice and hatred in our own minds and with the words that fall from our lips. No one is exempt. Hitler could not have come to power except in the climate of excessive hatred."

2. Love your work, no matter the situation

Reinhard Heydrich, Hitler's "hangman," and his underlings understood that adding musical and artistic events to Theresienstadt could be a huge publicity stunt, to prove to the outside world that all was OK for the Jews.

They ordered the prisoners to form a Freizeitgestaltung, or Free Time Committee, to organize concerts, lectures and other events. Crudely printed posters appeared to advertise the programs.

Prisoners had no money so tickets were free. So many musicians had been sent to Theresienstadt that for a time before the members were shipped to their deaths in Auschwitz, four symphony orchestras could play there simultaneously.

The artists took their performances just as seriously as if they were performing on the world stage. "As our situation became even more difficult, we tried even harder to reach for perfection, for the meaning in the music," Alice says. "Music was our way of remembering our inner selves, our values."

The Nazis failed to understand that the power of music to provide comfort and hope to the performers and their audiences was stronger than the terror of their Nazi masters. Every composition that
was written in Theresienstadt, every concert played there, became a moral victory against the enemy.

3. Perseverance

On Alice's third day in Theresienstadt, she was told to play a recital the following week. "But I need to practice," she responded.

The next morning, Alice found the room where she had been assigned the 9:00 – 10:00 practice slot. With no time to waste, she began to work on her Chopin etudes only to find that the pedal did not work and that several keys stuck repeatedly.

Refusing to be defeated, she quickly adapted to the piano's limitations and began to play with abandon, losing herself in the music. "At least I was making music and that always made me happy," she says.

Despite the conditions in the camp and the inadequate, broken-down, legless instruments provided for concerts, emotionally she may have given her finest interpretations of Beethoven's and Schubert's sonatas in Theresienstadt.

4. In routine there is hope

Despite the filth and hunger, Alice's routine life of working her obligatory factory job, performing, caring for her six-year-old son Rafi, and giving him and a few other children elementary piano lessons in spare moments helped her never to lose hope.

"We were not heroic," Alice says. "We improvised. We managed to keep doing, keep working as usual. To not practice was unthinkable."

5. If you have something spiritual, you don't need as much food

In the camp Alice learned what she could live without. Rather than grieving for what she did not have, she rejoiced in what she had. Alice knew that no one could rob her of the treasures of her mind. "I am richer than the world's richest person because I have music in my heart and mind," she says today.

While performing the prisoners could nearly forget their hunger and their surroundings. Besides the terror of finding their names on a deportation list for Auschwitz, the fear of dying of starvation, typhus, and other diseases had become a reality.

"Music was our food, our religion and our hope," she says. "Music was life. We did not, could not, would not give up."

6. Complaining does not help. It makes everyone feel bad.

Alice is anything but naïve and is acutely aware of the evil that has always been present in our world. "I know about the bad, but I look for the good," she says.

7. Faith is stronger than fear.

As she faces the last years of her life, Alice does not waste time with fears of death and worries about the unknown. "We come from and return to infinity," she says. "The soul
lives on without the body." Alice finds consolation in her spiritual theme song, "Urlicht," with its opening words "I come from God and I will return to God."

"Things are as they are supposed to be," she says. "I am still here, never too old so long as I breathe to wonder, to learn, and to teach."

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Caroline Stoessinger.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Holocaust • Judaism • Opinion

1. Stan

8. Make sure to milk the tragedy for as much money as possible creating an Industry based off portraying yourself as an eternal victim who is always under attack. If your real good at this might be able steal an entire country (Israel) and even ethnically cleanse it of it's native population all while still looking like a victim in the process and getting billions of dollars in military and economic aid.

April 19, 2012 at 4:27 pm |

You are a jerk.
      1. Israel didn't steal anything. The UN gave it to them. The same as they did Jordan, Leb. and Syria. You want to complain about those nations existing too?
      2. There has been NO ethnic cleansing in Israel. Check your stats. The Arab population of Israel is significant and growing.
      3. Israel is our ally you dolt. We support our allies. That's what allies do.

April 19, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
    • just sayin

I don't know whether to say to Stan "Praise Allah" or "White Power". Time for Stan to hang himself.

April 19, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
    • Brian

Man, sometimes I think we should invite over some of my German friends just for you. Have our own personal Dachua

April 19, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
  2. disgusted

your lack of respect is disgusting. should you ever find yourself in such a situation, i doubt you would survive with such ugly thoughts. i can not believe you would write such disrespectful, ignorant things.

April 19, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
    • just sayin

Dont worry about me, I have Jesus to ge tme through. God Bless

April 19, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  3. just sayin

These are not winning tips on life, rather loser mentality. God Bless.

April 19, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
    • Brian

Considering that she is still alive, I would beg to differ.

April 19, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
    • just sayin

Good genes I supsect. She is about surviving/maintaining not winning, I have no use for her silly advice. I would love to hear her advice on hair styling though.

April 19, 2012 at 4:37 pm |
    • Jeff

What would do if concentration camps were in our country? Would you turn a blind eye when a race of people are being eliminated? You are no Oskar Shindler or Wallenberg.

April 21, 2012 at 6:34 pm |
  4. Darrell

How is anything from that era still relevant? Get over it already.

April 19, 2012 at 4:14 pm |
    • just sayin

I guess they are still sore about the whole thing. I wonder how many of their prayers were answered before they were cooked? Praise God, he always listens

April 19, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
    • Richard

There is something wrong with you.

April 19, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
    • kyle

you my friend, are messed up

April 19, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
    • just sayin

Richard

There is something wrong with you.

Yes, I am Christian

April 19, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
    • Kalessin

Hmm, if something still effects you as an old person...I hope someone half or even quarter of your age tells you to get over it.

April 19, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
    • just sayin

Many are called but few are chosen, those who steal a name on an anonymous blog are probably not Christians. God bless

April 19, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
  5. itylhive

How is anything from that era still relevant? Get over it already.

April 19, 2012 at 4:14 pm |
    • Daniela

Besides this whole "event" being a complete disgrace to all human kind, it is not something that anyone can just get over. Try telling that to a person who had a family member endure (or pass away) these atrocities. You really need extreme help.

April 23, 2012 at 9:01 am |
  6. palintwit

Sarah Palin is the only one who can heal and re-unify our country. But in order to do so, she must return to her motorhome and resume her cross country tour. She will have to visit cities both large and small, speaking only to "real Americans", dispensing her sage advice and folksy, homespun common sense solutions. We can be a great nation again but we must all follow the "Palin Path". In the days , weeks, and months to come, I will elaborate on the "Palin Path" so that everyone has a clear understanding of Sarah Palin's vision for our country.

April 19, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
    • me

please keep this info for "real Americans" like you..and ask palin to keep an eye on Russia from her backyard

some people are too funny ....'ignorant'

April 19, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
  7. Plain Ol' Dreamer

Believe and do Dream

written by Plain ol' Dreamer

Generationed upon the cusps intentioned we go,
    Life unceasing thru seasonal snow!
    Cherished are all things Life,
    Barter man not for his souled one wife!
    Keep therein your mind's abatements,
    No shoveling needs tire of fruited constrainments.

Live free or ever die trying to be,
    Drink freely the waters of many who see!
    Sup up that which contains much fruitedness,
    Of God and the godly humanists to due One to bless!
    Fractals of the derived impleasentries voidals of space,
    Make known therefore those willing to grace!

Love all that one truly can without just malice,
    Seek God who lives ever inside you in His rented palace!
    God and His brethrens will ever be told,
    Humanisms never too proud or even too bold!
    Love your ownliness as you seek that which you yearn toward,
    Another Life after death is all people's greatest reward!

April 19, 2012 at 3:56 pm |
    • edwardo

Dreamin' is what you do best. Reality is for the strong, dreamin' for the weak, and religion for the sheep.

April 22, 2012 at 10:22 am |
  8. Fern

Great inspiration from a wonderful person. May she live and enjoy music for many years to come.

April 19, 2012 at 3:56 pm |
  9. todreaper

Funny but history is full of theses events and the this is the only one that ever comes up in the news. The Russains killed more people in WW2 than the Germans could dream of.

April 19, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
    • Fern

Today is Holocaust Rememberance Day. She is the oldest living survivor. It is good to hear about Alice Herz-Sommers.

April 19, 2012 at 4:03 pm |
  10. Gloria

In answer to the poster who ridicules prayer: It is true that many who rely only on prayer and faith healing often aren't cured. God promises to answer all prayers, but not always the way we want them answered. Also, God provides us with the knowledge and technology of medical professionals in order for us to utilize these in times of need. Some, most likely are cured in a miraculous, unexplained way (through the power of prayer), but we are not to question how God's will works, just that it does.

April 19, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
    • William Demuth

I also can answer prayers (for a nominal fee)

My ratio of granting is exactly the same as Jeebus!

Would you like to buy a bridge as well?

April 19, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
    • joe

Didn't "god" give us the ability to question? If so, why should we not question the fact that prayer has no real affect.

April 19, 2012 at 3:45 pm |
    • Henry

Scientific studies have shown prayer to be less effective than a placebo pill.

April 19, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
    • TR6

“God promises to answer all prayers, but not always the way we want them answered”

I pray to my milk carton and it always answers my prayers, but not always the way I wanted them answered

“God provides us with the knowledge and technology of medical professionals in order for us to utilize these in times of need.”

So how come, in all the thousands of years since god created man, he only decided to come across with medical technology in the last 200?

April 19, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
    • edwardo

Why pray? Doesn't he already know what's going to happen? Is your whimper for something different going to make him rearrange the entire future, to suit your wishes? The whole concept is laughable.

April 22, 2012 at 10:25 am |
  11. gurkwe

i don't like her tips. sorry.

April 19, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
    • Spiritual not Religious

And, I'm sure you don't like a lot of things. Sorry!

April 19, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
    • palval

That is too bad for you. You need to open your heart.

April 19, 2012 at 3:45 pm |
  12. Gloria

It is sobering to realize just how few Holocaust survivors, and WWII veterans are still living. I greatly admire folks like Alice; I hope she continues to play and enjoy her music as well as bringing joy to others with her gifts. Thank you for this article!!

April 19, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
  13. Kris

What a lovely story...I hope that someday I can be as Strong as she is.

April 19, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
  14. Jacques Strappe, World Famous French Ball Carrier

It is amazing that anybody still denies the Holocaust. I like these kinds of stories. Puts things in perspective.

April 19, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
    • momoya

What's more amazing is that most people don't even know about the American Holocaust, much less believe it.. (I'm referring to millions of Native Americans being slaughtered by germ warfare, direct military conflict, and religious decree during Manifest Destiny).

April 19, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • Kalessin

Quite a few ppl know about the deaths of the Native Americans. But there is one major difference. The Shoah was conducted in an organized manner. The destruction of the Native American cultures wasn't. The govts that formed colonies here in the New World wasn't going after organized genocide. The Nazi govt was.

April 19, 2012 at 3:45 pm |
    • momoya

I agree that the organization was different, but the general consensus was that Indians had no souls and could not have a relationship with god and that they were basically animals–compared to a white person who could be "saved."

April 19, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
    • Kalessin

I have to disagree with that. If only because of all the missions within the New World that was aimed toward the Native Americans.

April 19, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
    • momoya

Some missions were good, some were bad, most were somewhere in the middle.. If you'd like to disagree with the proven facts on the matter, be my guest.

April 19, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
    • Kalessin

I have yet to disagree with any facts. It's just my opinion that the destruction of the Native Americans is not similar to that of the organized destruction of the Jews, Roma..etc by the Nazi

April 19, 2012 at 6:34 pm |
    • momoya

LOL, of course they aren't similar, but they were both "holocausts.". The main difference is that early american christians put to death 30-60 million natives, and they used their religious beliefs to justify their actions..

April 19, 2012 at 6:59 pm |
    • Kalessin

I don't agree with the term holocaust being used here myself. I usually prefer to just call it the destruction of the Native Americans. It was done by many different groups (some even Native American in part), in different ways and for different reasons. As for the specific destruction of the Jewish ppl done by the Nazi..I try to use Shoah.
      And some "Americans" used religion, not all.

April 19, 2012 at 8:27 pm |
    • momoya

You call six million a holocaust but you don't want the term used for 50 million?. The justification for the murder of the Native Americans was JUSTIFIED by "Manifest Destiny" and the people who spread small pox blankets among them praised god for his deliverance of their lands into their hands.. Soldiers stretched private parts across their hats and belts, and made money pouches out of infant hide.. They praised god and we have their recorded words.. Yeah, keep the term "holocaust" it's way to weak a term for what christians did to the Indians in America.. You're living on blood-soaked ground.. Praise god. .

April 19, 2012 at 10:38 pm |
    • Kalessin

"You call six million a holocaust but you don't want the term used for 50 million?."

~First, I don't use the term Holocaust. I use the term Shoah. As for the destruction of the Native American cultures over 500 years, no..I don't.

"The justification for the murder of the Native Americans was JUSTIFIED by "Manifest Destiny" and the people who spread small pox blankets among them praised god for his deliverance of their lands into their hands.."

~You are taking a term that wasn't even used prior to the 1800's. The small pox blankets was a very very small incident of a much larger event.

"Soldiers stretched private parts across their hats and belts, and made money pouches out of infant hide.

~That's a new one on me. Never heard the infant hide stuff.

"They praised god and we have their recorded words.. Yeah, keep the term "holocaust" it's way to weak a term for what christians did to the Indians in America.. You're living on blood-soaked ground.. Praise god. ."

Again..I don't use the term Holocaust. Also, your concept of history is flawed. It wasn't an "us" vs "them" mentality. Many Native American groups sided with European nations as allies. They did it with the French and they did it with the Confederate States of America.
      No..I am not living on any blood soaked ground. Such drama. I am no more responsible for the actions of any of my ancestors. Heck...some of my ancestors were indentured servants.
      I am curious...if I was African American, would you say I am living on blood soaked ground?

April 20, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
    • momoya

If you're living on blood-soaked ground it doesn't matter what your skin tone is, no.. As to your refusal to believe in what I term "the American Holocaust" that killed maybe 10 times the number of Jews under Hitler, that's on your conscience.. You're a holocaust denier; you just deny a different holocaust than the normal holocaust deniers.

April 20, 2012 at 1:26 pm |
    • Kalessin

"If you're living on blood-soaked ground it doesn't matter what your skin tone is, no.."

~My friend, with maybe the exception of Antartica...there is no "blood-soaked" free zone on Earth. This continent was blood soaked before any European set foot on it.

"As to your refusal to believe in what I term "the American Holocaust" that killed maybe 10 times the number of Jews under Hitler, that's on your conscience.."

~If you wish to use make believe terms...that's on you. My conscience is clear. I think you are under the impression that I somehow approve of the deaths of the Native Americans. I hope you don't think that.

"You're a holocaust denier; you just deny a different holocaust than the normal holocaust deniers."

~Lol...now you are being silly. I have yet to deny that Native Americans died. I simply deny your overly simplistic view on how those deaths occurred. Most historians would too.

April 20, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
    • momoya

Rationalization–nobody beats a christian at it, and Israel supporters are better at it than most.. Great job.. I enjoy seeing a professional like you at work.

April 20, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
    • Kalessin

Ah Drama Queens....you are a fine example. When your fringe concept is exposed for the silliness it is..instead of admitting you goofed, you try to switch blame to the rational person. Good job..lol.

April 20, 2012 at 4:06 pm |

@K

Keep on spouting your irrational silliness.. It's great fun to see!! 🙂

April 20, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
    • Kalessin

"Your cosmology is based on a big invisible sky daddy casting a spell, and you believe in talking snakes and donkeys and undetectable diseases and body parts.. I'd rather my views be seen as silly from somebody who believes that ridiculous tripe.."

HAHAHA...no it doesn't. You are a pip. My cosmology doesn't have to do with any of that.
      Big is not a unique aspect of God.
      Invisible is not a unique aspect of God.
      I have no idea what you are blabbing about the sky or even daddy.

Spells? Nope.

I do not believe in talking snakes or donkeys. And any fool knows that there are very well diseases that are unable to be detected. Good job painting yourself into that corner. Try using proper terminology so you don't make a fool of yourself.

April 20, 2012 at 6:03 pm |
  15. Plain Ol' Dreamer

The meadowlands of hopefulness do ever run amongst the creeks' edges while the waters of Time will ever be for all to be one of the Holy or be one for the un of Holiness's chalice, the cup of righteousness concernments!

April 19, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
  16. pico

@Kalessin the Jewish people flourish in the Arab world special in Morocco while they were persecute in ALL Europe
    but now.. you know the rest

April 19, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
    • Kalessin

In many cases, the Jews were treated better in the Arab nations than in Europe.
      Currently, Arab citizens in Israel are treated better there....than Jews in Arab nations are.

April 19, 2012 at 3:47 pm |
    • momoya

I agree that Arabs are treated better in Israel than Jews are treated in Muslim countries.. Of course, there's the fact that Israelis kill about three arabs for every jew that gets killed, so you can't leave that out of the mix.

April 19, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
    • Kalessin

Sounds like the Israeli military is more efficient than the Arab ones. No fault on Israel there.
      Considering also that (in regards to Gaza) Hamas tends to put their civilians in harms way doesn't help.

April 19, 2012 at 6:35 pm |
    • momoya

Agreed.. Israel has better military.. Palestine is stupid to continue a war of attrition whereby they lose 3x the living members as their opponents.

April 19, 2012 at 7:00 pm |
    • Kalessin

The Palestinians as a people aren't stupid. It's there govt that's stupid.
      I doubt you think it's moral to put citizens next to military targets do you?
      Maybe you think it is wise to fight battles that involve blatantly breaking the Geneva Conventions. Let's be clear, Israel has done some bad things from time to time. But they are a legal nation. They were founded by the UN and fought a few wars to earn their existence. The fault of the Palestinians not having anything much to speak of lies mostly with their Arab neighbors and their own govt.
      Heck, Egypt, Jordan, Syria...etc were all hot and heavy for war till they started to lose land. It was all ok as long as the Palestinians did but once they did...out came the treaties.

April 19, 2012 at 8:30 pm |
    • momoya

I don't really care, Kalessin.. The Israelis are winning when it comes to killing people on the other side.. That's what war does.. You kill more of them then they do of you.. I'm not sure why so many Israel supporters think Arabs and Palestinians should be in love with the Jews/Israel.. People don't like losing, and they certainly don't like losing three to one when it comes to human life.. Israel is very good militarily and they are winning.. Very demonstrably so.. Good for them.

April 19, 2012 at 10:44 pm |
    • Kalessin

"The Israelis are winning when it comes to killing people on the other side.."

~That is the point of battle.

"I'm not sure why so many Israel supporters think Arabs and Palestinians should be in love with the Jews/Israel.."

~Heck..I don't think that the Palestinians should be in love with Israel. But reality should eventually set in for them.

April 20, 2012 at 1:22 pm |
    • momoya

LOL! That's what I said!. Your last post doesn't explain the rationalizationist drama of your penultimate one, though..

April 20, 2012 at 1:28 pm |
    • Kalessin

I will guess that I must have misunderstood one of your earlier posts that seemed like you were siding with the Palestinians..or at least attempting to paint Israel in a bad light. Most of my responses have been with that concept on my mind. Sorry if that wasn't the case.

April 20, 2012 at 1:54 pm |
    • momoya

No, K, you were mistaken.. I've noticed that Israel supporters are usually one dimensional and assume that everyone is against them and then they act accordingly..

April 20, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
    • Kalessin

Lol...you got your nos and yeses incorrect again. Oh well.
      You are a quirky person. I support the peace for the Palestinians and there own nation. I doubt that is one sided in anyway. But you just keep to your closed minded views. i wouldn't want your head to crack open with any new thoughts or ideas.

April 20, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
    • momoya

Frankly, Kalessin, I don't believe you.. I've known to many Israel supporter nuts and they've proven to me how little they care for truth when it comes to achieving their goals in the middle east.

April 20, 2012 at 4:40 pm |
    • Kalessin

"Frankly, Kalessin, I don't believe you.. "

~Not my problem.

"I've known to many Israel supporter nuts and they've proven to me how little they care for truth when it comes to achieving their goals in the middle east."

~You've known very few ppl in your life then. Try visiting Israel, the Gaza Strip, the West Bank and you might have a more broader view of the topic. I really recommend Tiberius. I believe it's on the north side. You'll get a good aspect of the Palestinian citizens of Israel there.

April 20, 2012 at 6:06 pm |
  17. Im Tempo des Scherzos

Rise again, yes, rise again,
    Will you My dust,
    After a brief rest!
    Immortal life! Immortal life
    Will He who called you, give you.

To bloom again were you sown!
    The Lord of the harvest goes
    And gathers in, like sheaves,
    Us together, who died.

O believe, my heart, O believe:
    Nothing to you is lost!
    Yours is, yes yours, is what you desired
    Yours, what you have loved
    What you have fought for!

O believe,
    You were not born for nothing!
    Have not for nothing, lived, suffered!

What was created
    Must perish,
    What perished, rise again!
    Cease from trembling!
    Prepare yourself to live!

O Pain, You piercer of all things,
    From you, I have been wrested!
    O Death, You masterer of all things,
    Now, are you conquered!

With wings which I have won for myself,
    In love’s fierce striving,
    I shall soar upwards
    To the light which no eye has penetrated!
    Its wing that I won is expanded,
    and I fly up.
    Die shall I in order to live.
    Rise again, yes, rise again,
    Will you, my heart, in an instant!
    That for which you suffered,
    To God will it lead you!

April 19, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
    • Plain Ol' Dreamer

Generationed upon the cusps intentioned we go,
      Life unceasing thru seasonal snow!
      Cherished are all things Life,
      Barter man not for his souled one wife!
      Keep therein you mind's abatements,
      No shoveling needs tired of constrainments.

Live free or ever die trying to be,
      Drink freely the waters of many who see!
      Sup up that which contains much fruitedness,
      Of God and the godly humanists to do one to bless!
      Fractals of the derived impleasentries voidals of space,
      Make known therefore those willing to race!

Love all that one truly can without just malice,
      Seek God who lives ever inside you in His rented palace!
      God and His brethrens will ever be told,
      Humanisms never too proud or even too bold!
      Love your ownliness as you seek that which you yearn toward,
      Another Life after death is all people's greatest reward!

April 19, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
  18. Bribarian

The eternal victim wails in pain as he strikes you.

April 19, 2012 at 3:18 pm |
    • idiotpoiniterouter

You're an idiot anti-Semite. Go home and crawl back under your rock.

April 19, 2012 at 3:59 pm |
  19. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things

April 19, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
    • just sayin

You betcha it did for the millinions. LOL you got to love unsound childish thinking.

April 19, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
    • Jesus

Prayer doesn’t not; you are such a LIAR. You have NO proof it changes anything! A great example of prayer proven not to work is the Christians in jail because prayer didn't work and their children died. For example: Susan Grady, who relied on prayer to heal her son. Nine-year-old Aaron Grady died and Susan Grady was arrested.

The statistical studies from the nineteenth century and the three CCU studies on prayer are quite consistent with the fact that humanity is wasting a huge amount of time on a procedure that simply doesn’t work. Nonetheless, faith in prayer is so pervasive and deeply rooted, you can be sure believers will continue to devise future studies in a desperate effort to confirm their beliefs!.!.!~

April 19, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
    • just sayin

millinions???? man bad day for me.....millions

April 19, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
    • just sayin

Pray without ceasing. God bless

April 19, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
    • Jesus

"Pray without ceasing"

Talk about a waste of time.

April 19, 2012 at 4:01 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What are "millinions", just stupid?

April 19, 2012 at 7:37 pm |
    • just sayin

Easy Tom,Tom you might be kicking the wrong horse. God bless

April 19, 2012 at 7:39 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Horse's azz, you mean. Hardly. Yours is always the right one to kick.

April 19, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
    • just sayin

There are way more just sayin than you expect. God bless

April 19, 2012 at 7:44 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

And all THAT tells you is how very disgusting others think you are, just sayin.

April 19, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
  20. Factoid

Tomorrow, 4/20, is Hitler's birthday (#123).

I suppose this article is a fitting "Unhappy Birthday" wish for him.

April 19, 2012 at 3:12 pm |
    • J

It would have been better to not mention him at all.

PS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

April 19, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
    • Kalessin

@Factoid- perhaps you should learn the fact of what today is: Yom Ha-Shoah

April 19, 2012 at 3:48 pm |