home
RSS
April 30th, 2012

Columnist Dan Savage stands by comments on 'bulls**t in the Bible'

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Columnist and gay-rights advocate Dan Savage is standing by his comment that “we can learn to ignore the bulls**t in the Bible about gay people” at a recent conference for high school students, a line that prompted some to walk out and spurred intense online debate.

In a blog post on Sunday, Savage wrote that his remark at a conference for the Journalism Education Association and the National Scholastic Press Association was "being spun as an attack on Christianity. Which is bullshhh… which is untrue.”

“I was not attacking the faith in which I was raised," Savage wrote. "I was attacking the argument that gay people must be discriminated against — and anti-bullying programs that address anti-gay bullying should be blocked (or exceptions should be made for bullying 'motivated by faith') — because it says right there in the Bible that being gay is wrong.”

Some Christian students walked out of the Seattle speech, prompting another controversial line from Savage: “It’s funny to someone who is on the receiving end of beatings that are justified by the Bible how pansya**ed people react when you push back.”

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Savage apologized for that specific remark in Sunday’s blog post, writing that his word choice “was insulting, it was name-calling, and it was wrong.”

One of the teachers attending the speech with his students told CNN’s Carol Costello on Monday that he was taken aback by the speech and that he supported the decision of some of his students to walk out of it.

“It took a real dark, hostile turn, certainly, as I saw it,” said Rick Tuttle, a teacher at Sutter Union High School in Southern California. “It became very hostile toward Christianity, to the point that many students did walk out, including some of my students.”

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

“They felt that they were attacked … a very pointed, direct attack on one particular group of students. It’s amazing that we go to an anti-bullying speech and one group of students is picked on in particular, with harsh, profane language.”

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Bible • Charity • Christianity • Homosexuality • Israel • Schools • TV-CNN Newsroom

soundoff (4,113 Responses)
  1. Lucifer's Evil Twin

“They felt that they were attacked … a very pointed, direct attack on one particular group of students." christards are such p*ssies. They attack gays physically and verbally all of the time...

April 30, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
  2. wcb2009

"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is an abomination." Leviticus 18:22

So it would seem that lesbianism is ok? Dont forget people, the bible and religion was concocted by those who came after Jesus. This is not the word od God. Just a bunch of old men who happen think they knew what was best for the rest of us.

April 30, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
    • Dan

That's silly. The Old Testament is also known as the Hebrew Bible, which predates the New Testament (Leviticus appears first in the Hebrew Bible). The Hebrew Bible continues to be the Jewish sacred text. Why is there no venom directed at Jews in these pages? Could it be that anti-semitism is bad? Where as anti-Christian nature is justified?

April 30, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
    • Gregg

Leviticus also has the dietary laws that most Christians do not follow, as well as statements that rabbits chew their cuds, and insects walk "on all fours."

April 30, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
    • YeahRight

If you're going to use Leviticus then you have to use it ALL! That means if your child talks back to you then you have to stone them to death. If a woman gets raped she has to marry her rapist. You can’t eat shellfish, you can’t wear clothes made of different fabrics. Oh…that’s right…it’s consider part of the Holiness Code that Christians don’t have to follow today. LMAO!

April 30, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
    • God's Oldest Dreamer

Does one believe in a manuscripted book of "God-den'd-in" calipers, or does one believe in a God of their own derision phenoms?

April 30, 2012 at 3:47 pm |
    • A priest walks into a gay bar

"The Hebrew Bible continues to be the Jewish sacred text. Why is there no venom directed at Jews in these pages? "

The Jews aren't standing on street corners or lobbying to the government that being gay is wrong.

April 30, 2012 at 3:52 pm |
    • Dan

Neither are Christians. Every once in a while, a nut appears on a street corner and says vile things. Don't generalize all Christians. You can't lump every Christian into the actions of a street corner preacher any more than you can lump all Muslims as fanatical terrorists.

April 30, 2012 at 4:01 pm |
    • Nonimus

@Dan,
      Proposition 8?

April 30, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
    • Dan

What about Prop 8. Some Christians voted for, some against. It's wise not to generalize and marginalize. That is the first step a bully takes. Anti-bullies should know that

April 30, 2012 at 5:00 pm |
    • TR

Yet, another non-christian speaking from ignorance.

Let Paul clear this up for you, Romans 1 "26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion."

For the atheist, who claim to be soooooo enlightened, I've never seen a group rely so heavily on ignorance.

April 30, 2012 at 9:41 pm |
  3. Joshua

the old testament laws were abolished by Christ, two commandments by Christ, love God, and Love your neighbor as yourself. the point: show love not hate, for everyone, Christians and non-Christians! That's for Christians attacking Gay people also. Its not my right as a christian to sit in judgement of another just because they are gay, a murder, an addict, an alcoholic, a pedophile. God will judge us all. My job as commanded by the Bible, the new testament, is to LOVE. That is it! too many times we Christians sit in judgement of everyone else and forget that Christ associated with the worst of sinners. He came for the sinners, and he loved the sinners. Its our job to be like Christ like and do the same. Stop the hate people, its disgusting, weather your a christian or not, its ugly.

April 30, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
    • GodPot

"the old testament laws were abolished by Christ"

Really? The why would he say this? "Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place. For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” Matthew 5:17-19

April 30, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
    • God's Oldest Dreamer

Ephesians 2:15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, [even] the law of commandments [contained] in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, [so] making peace;

April 30, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
    • Nonimus

So,
      working on the sabbath is fine?
      coveting is fine?
      adultery is fine, as long as no one gets hurt?

April 30, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
    • Joe

By not judging you approve...
      You approve of murder, pedophile and other horrific acts.
      So that would make you a violent and wicked person in your heart.
      Just saying. Judging isn't always bad, and we all do it.

April 30, 2012 at 5:52 pm |
    • Amused

GodPot.... You gotta pick your battles, man (Or woman).... Joshua is speaking a message of love, and did not say anything negative at all, and you are still arguing. Can't you respect what he is saying? You are so focused on bashing the Bible that you are ignoring the people who believe in it. I am a Christian myself, and I totally agree with Joshua. I don't hate anyone... I have friends who are gay... I have friends who are of other religions... and I have friends who have no religion. I believe in Jesus because of a feeling of faith inside me... because I have felt that he has helped me through times of personal pain and also times of growth.

That being said, I don't care what anyone else chooses to believe in. All those friends I mentioned are good people and to me it doesn't matter if they don't share the same beliefs that I do, as long as they are good people and good friends.

So maybe your post should be directed toward someone that is saying "The Bible is all TRUE!" or someone who is bashing your beliefs. Joshua didn't say anything like that at all. You are trying to contradict a GOOD person's faith, because the passage you quoted is something you do not agree with. You must have a lot of anger towards Christians, and I'm sorry about that... but leave the good ones alone. If you are trying to argue with someone who is saying they believe in love and being good to others, well then you sound like an ass who treats people like crap. I'm not saying you ARE that, but you are coming off that way in your argument.

That's all I have to say about thaaaat....

April 30, 2012 at 6:27 pm |
    • Filtered

Sorry, Joshua, you're wrong on this one. But what Jesus did do was to show that no one is able to follow the law and so grace > law.

April 30, 2012 at 7:47 pm |
    • TR

Joshua, you need to learn the difference between discerning and judging.

April 30, 2012 at 9:48 pm |
  4. God's Oldest Dreamer

Admit it everyone please! We are all upon a floating rock with an abundance of water and our bodies are mostly water ever in need of being replenished with water which spends thru our urinal devices and does such flowings away our body's saltiness and otherly impureness issues! Our bodies are as a wonderment creation be it by God's handicraftnesses or by evolutions established by godly beings of aged concentrations seeded deeply inside all created and/or evolved Life issuances!

April 30, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
    • John Mayer

Your body is a wonderland....

April 30, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
    • The Lionly Lamb That Doeth Roar

You make about as much sense as me!!!

April 30, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
    • God's Oldest Dreamer

To sleep within the Everness perchance to ever be dreaming a forevermentation is all I do hopefor and to become of!

April 30, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
    • God's Oldest Dreamer, Dreaming of R a p i n g My Little Brother

If I can just get a few more atheists to believe me, maybe God will forgive me for my sin and I can feel okay about never going to jail or being punished for my crimes against my family.

April 30, 2012 at 4:02 pm |
    • God's Oldest Dreamer

I am not angry toward the issues that life's passings have done in nillness of beingb mentally depraved and parentally unsuperivised in but a moment of uncleaness in thoughtlessness of a 13 year old's 3 year old brother! Like I said priorly Brother has not worked for the last few years and I keep us both afloat! God does see me and my brother's today's times and God knows my penance! The lots who dare defame my past Act are but bigoted fools searching their own uleavened bitterness and disgruntled animosities! Your making fun of a serious matter is but an unholy damnation unbecoming one's own sinfulness issues!

April 30, 2012 at 4:17 pm |
  5. HELLO FRIENDS

I TYPE IN CAPS BECAUSE I AM ANGRY!!! I LIKE TO YELL AND I HATE EVERYONE. I HAVE NO FRIENDS. I AM ALL KNOWING AND ANYONE WHO DISAGREES WITH ME IS A MORON.

April 30, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
    • God's Oldest Dreamer

Moronialism bequeeths in calamitous generalisms foresakedness issues! Keep it up and you may find the daisy0cutters; laments! LoL

April 30, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
    • A priest walks into a gay bar

More crap from G.O.D.

April 30, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
  6. Dennis

The bulk of the bible is obviously bullsh**t.

The talking snake parts of the Harry Potter series are better written and more interesting than the ones in the bible too. And actually more believable.

April 30, 2012 at 3:01 pm |
    • GodPot

I'm just waiting for some Christian apologist to 'slither in'...

April 30, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
    • God's Oldest Dreamer

Aren't toda's graphic animations just the cat's meow!!!

April 30, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
    • Omar

The bulk of the bible is too righteous for the unbeliever to understand.

April 30, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
    • momoya

Yet the more righteous a bible believer claims to be the less he agrees with other bible believers who claim to be as righteous or more than he.. Funny that.. It's almost like all those experts in chemistry who disagree about.....oh.. wait... okay, so it's almost like all those experts in math who disagree about....oh...wait...ummm..

April 30, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
    • Really-O?

@momoya –

"The opinions that are held with pas.sion are always those for which no good ground exists; indeed the pas.sion is the measure of the holder's lack of rational conviction. " "Many sava.ge controversies are about matters as to which there is no good evidence either way. Persecution is used in theology, not in arithmetic.

Bertrand Russell

April 30, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
    • Quaker

@momoya – ...actually i think there is tons of disagreement in the scientific community, not so much in the math world though because the whole point of math is to put ppl on the same page.

But I am sure you are looking for more of this response, "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH I hate you so much MOOmOO!"

May 1, 2012 at 8:53 am |
  7. sandra

if your going to talk against the bible you should study it and see where and just who said what about being gay.I think it means not to be so free in your incounters but stay with one partner. in the bible they were talking about people not actually being gay but pretending they were etc...... some people are so full of hate and it appears to be from both sides. what a shame someone with compasion for all people doesn't talk on this subject. I hope and pray Love is what matters the most.

April 30, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
    • HELLO FRIENDS

THE BIBLE SAYS GAYS ARE TO BE PUT TO DEATH, GENIUS.

April 30, 2012 at 2:58 pm |
    • Really-O?

@Sandra –
      So, based on your comment, am I correct in believing you support same s.ex marriage (as long as those involved "stay with one partner")?

April 30, 2012 at 3:01 pm |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

Most criticizing the buybull have read it. Sadly christards are unable to say the same.

April 30, 2012 at 3:09 pm |
    • YeahRight

"Leviticus 20:13: "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them." "

Thankfully Leviticus doesn't apply today because it's part of the Holiness Code.

April 30, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
    • fred

TruthPrevails
      Leviticus ? You would expect the rules for priests were much tighter than the rules for those who are not priests. The rules for those that follow godless self lusts are also different than those who choose say purity as a way of life. You choose an old verve directed at a particular tribe of Israel and attempt to build a case against God. Hypocrite, why don't you leave those who choose purity alone? I think it is time to look in the godless mirror and recognize the hate you have built up as an atheist. If you children choose purity will you attrack that also or only if the purity is because they understand good vs evil and what is does to the soul.

April 30, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
    • Larry

That's a good idea, sandra. Let's study the Bible and see what it really says.

"If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them." Leviticus 20:13

And of course, the decimation of Sodom and Gomorrah.

April 30, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
    • *facepalm*

"You choose an old verve directed at a particular tribe of Israel and attempt to build a case against God."

@fred – your god has different laws for different people at different times. So, your god is a moral relativist. Why bother following such changing rules.

And if the OT is irrelevant, why are so many xtians so hung up on the 10 commandments?

April 30, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
    • YeahRight

"And of course, the decimation of Sodom and Gomorrah.

Paul has some nastiness about it in Romans 1, 1 Corinthians (no heaven for you, queeny)."

I hope you're not using this against gays because none of it has to do with what we now understand about them today. Sodom and Gomorrah was about bad hospitality as stated in Ezekiel. Romans was about worshiping a pagan god using sex remember to read the verses before to get the real meaning. Corinithans was about male prostitution if you look at the original Greek especially since the word homosexual hadn't been invented yet and was added later by a prejudice scribe. LOL!

April 30, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
    • fred

Facepalm
      We Christians should not be hung up on the Old Testament or the 10 commandments. Jesus set that straight and Christian is a name for those that follow Christ. Love God and love your neighbor as yourself summarizes the law of the Prophets is what Christ said. We have enough problems understanding that, why bother with rules that apply to Levites until we get that down?

God has not changed one bit. What you see in the Bible is the revelation of God through His people. People change and what applied to a Nomadic Tribe of Hebrews that is specific to the culture does not apply today. Clear principles that carry thoughout the Bible are to be followed.

April 30, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
    • momoya

@fred

Why do you say that?? Where in the bible does it say that the OT commandments were not permanent?? Is morality subjective?? Are there periods of time when slavery is okay and times when it's not?? I see nothing in the bible that would imply some of god's laws only pertain to a certain time period and culture, and isn't it christians who want the "10 commandments" all over the place?? And where do they come from????? Oh yeah, the OT.. Please.

April 30, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
    • danielwalldammit

I think maybe YOU should study the Bible. It would be nice if its message were so bland, but sadly your argument doesn't come out so well in the end.

April 30, 2012 at 3:54 pm |
    • *facepalm*

@Fred – why did god allow sex slaves in the OT? How is that moral? If god doesn't change, and god allowed sex slaves, then there must be a context in which that is moral.

So, let me get this straight: God doesn't change, but God changes for different cultures. Dude, you can't have your cake and eat it too. God can't both change and not change.

April 30, 2012 at 3:55 pm |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

@fred: Hypocrite? Hate? Not an accurate description of me! I don't say that being gay is wrong or a choice, your buybull does and so do a great many christards. If Jesus' teachings in the NT replaced your gods teachings of the OT, why is your god still prayed to and why is it that the 10 Commandments are so vehemently fought over and why do so many christards throw them in the face of Atheists or people who not agree with them by telling us that they are the morals taught by your precious god?

April 30, 2012 at 4:03 pm |
    • fred

Momoya
      There were many Old Testament laws beyond the 10 commandments. Jesus covered all those that apply with the two. If you love God with all your heart then you have the first 4 commandments well covered. The next 6 cause harm to others and you cannot love and cause harm to the one you love. Notice I said don’t get hung up on the 10 commandments (not ignore them) as the law is summarized in these two. It is about direction. Approach the commandments from the right direction and obedience flows naturally. Approached as a set of rules you miss the boat.
      God has not changed his position on slavery. You are a slave to sin for example and this is your master, “for you will love the one and hate the other (you hate God)”. Much of Bible reflects people exactly as they were and their relationship with God exactly where they were. Slavery was the way of the time and the Bible reflects how these people treated their slaves. Taking a chunk of that narrative out of context then applying it to $ex slave trade in New York today is right on the mark (owners are mistreating their slaves and will reap consequences for their actions). Saying God approves of $ex slaves in New York City today is you twisting what was written to give God a black eye.

April 30, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
    • fred

Facepalm
      God does not change and is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. Over the thousands of years time span of the Bible we see the God of Abraham these people related with and how. In Jesus we get a clear image and a clear message that ties with all the old “attributes” previously reflected in the Bible. God did not and does not approve of $ex slaves. God did not approve of Solomon having hundreds of wives. The Bible is a moving story while God moves through His people.

April 30, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
    • fred

TruthPrevails 🙂
      Hate? Not an accurate description of me!
      =>ok so xtards is a loving expression?
      “I don't say that being gay is wrong or a choice, your buybull does and so do a great many christards”.
      =>There are nice atheists and angry atheists out there just as there are different Christians. The Bible says we (all of us) are wickedly sinful. Sin is wrong and is an offense against God. If you do not believe in God then it is not sin to you. This does not change the nature of man in Gods eyes. Gay is hot button because it is emotionally charged and democrats exploit the gay community to incite hatred against a perceived enemy (right wing Christians which the political lie has successfully tied to the republican party). Hom-o$exuality is listed with other sins all of which is an offense to God. God never said orientation is sin because we all have different orientation and are not responsible for that. We are responsible for what we do where we have choice and you choose to bash God and Christians in particular.
      I said you were a hypocrite because you accuse Christians of hate while you spew hate. I said you were a hypocrite because you attack purity if in the name of God yet give purity a pass if it was based on orientation or secular.

“ If Jesus' teachings in the NT replaced your gods teachings of the OT”
      =>never replaced. Jesus came to fulfill the law not remove it. The Law was necessary to highlight the many ways man violates (sins) a Holy God.

“morals taught by your precious god?”
      =>which of the morals taught by my Holy God are offensive ?

April 30, 2012 at 4:44 pm |
    • smashicus

So its "payback time" against Christians? Funny how people will do the very thing they accuse others of doing.

April 30, 2012 at 10:44 pm |
  8. William Demuth

I am reminded of Israeli propaganda terms on this one.

Christianity is an existentialist threat to people like the speaker.

He has EVERY right to call for outright war against the belief system that condemns him.

One cannot condemn and threaten (by calling for damnation, criminalizing behavior and disenfranchising opponents) large groups of people for having a trait you find undesirable, and not expect to be condemned in return.

Perhaps if large numbers of gays began calling for serious consequences for being Christian, the behavior might stop.

April 30, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
  9. No Thanks

@hello friends,

must suck to be you!!!

April 30, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
    • HELLO FRIENDS

SUCH AN INTELLECTUALLY STIMULATING INSULT. HOW DIFFICULT WAS IT FOR YOU TO FORMULATE SUCH A WITTY RETORT TO ASTOUND ME WITH?

April 30, 2012 at 2:53 pm |
    • No Thanks

@hello

IT WASNT HARD AT ALL. YOU MAKE YOURSELF AN EASY TARGET.

April 30, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
  10. Tom

Everyone has a right to believe in what they want. If you want to worship a box of hair, have at it. But don't pretend your beliefs have any validity. I applaud non-theists efforts to publicly call out religion for what it is: wishful-thinking and completely unsubstantiated nonsense. Religious people shouldn't act shocked when they hear criticism or insults. They brought it upon themselves ever since they decided to politicize their beliefs and force conformity on those who prefer facts to fiction.

April 30, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
  11. D

Heh...sorry, I find the hypocrisy amusing with the christians in the article. It was wrong, as there are several christians in the world who are not mean-spirited, but on a national scale it is freaking hilarious! Offended christians felt they were being attacked...you mean like the entire gay community in this country? Maybe you should take that to heart when using your religion to hate others...

April 30, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
    • Nooks

The kids did nothing. They then were attacked verbally. That's not right.

April 30, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
    • sam

@Nooks – how is someone stating an opinion suddenly 'attacking'? If someone says something you don't agree with, that doesn't make it either an attack or hate speech, but people seem to love to throw those terms around lately.

April 30, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
    • Haha

@sam,

So what about the atheists saying Christians are full of hate and are attacking gays when they disagree w that lifestyle? Blinded are you?

April 30, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
    • Ehhh

@sam

Why don't you respond? Is it because you're caught being a fraud and hypocrit? just like lunchbreaker below.....it's so telling of the Truth and what you atheists represent.

April 30, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
    • momoya

Why do you a.ssume stupid sh!t?. Why not just a.ssume that the other person doesn't want to talk to somebody as stupid as you?? or that they weren't able to check for your replies? Or some other possibility?

April 30, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
  12. Nooks

15 minutes of fame.

April 30, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
    • Sravya

– Dear Kyle and Allison:This website is aanizmg and you can see all the hard work you have put into it. We enjoyed the look back at your last 3 years.What!! Is it really 3 years already??? You guys look so good andtotally in love which I must say makes the parents of Allison very happy and proud of all the great things you have done together. We had a great evening drinking wine and crusing thruall your very inventive pictures. Dad wants to know where you comeup with all the places you shoot. You pick or the couple picks.Hey but in the end it's all look fabulowso.We are very proud of both of you. Kises and Hugs Mom and Dad

May 19, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
  13. Jim from BC

@ Ehh, seriously dude have you ever been on a message board before? Or met an atheist in real life for that matter? this loser is obviously a troll.

April 30, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
  14. HELLO FRIENDS

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY?

April 30, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
  15. Ehhh

How lovely and peaceful of you. You probably drive more people the Christianity than the most fervent Christian commentor on this blog.

April 30, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
  16. Ehhh

I'm kinda on the fence on this one, but I'll tell you one thing; if atheists in real life are anything like the people on these boards then I want no part of it. Quite an immature and angry group if you ask me. I'll try to enjoy my life and not let hate consume it.

In the words of MR. T: "I pity the fool!!!"

April 30, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
    • hmmmm

"if atheists in real life are anything like the people on these boards then I want no part of it. Quite an immature and angry group if you ask me."

Now that sounds like and immature angry comment to me. 😉

April 30, 2012 at 2:35 pm |
    • God's Oldest Dreamer

Ehhh,,,,,,,,,,,, ,

Don't mind hmmmm,,, for there are way too many branches that need pruning and the highness regulars seem well equipped to jostle the weightiness quite contempously!

April 30, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
    • Jim from BC

Does any group from real life reflect the people from that group who comment on message boards? Give me a break. Just be thankful I'm smart enough that I won't go away with the impression that all theists are as stupid as you.

April 30, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
    • lunchbreaker

Quotes like this are so unoriginal and merely show the bias you already have. Every group has members that act as complete idiots on message boards. I see this same quote applied to every religion and group out there.

April 30, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
    • God's Oldest Dreamer

contemptuously I meant to write,,,, Eeee gad I am a sorry sitedd inbecile at times,,, 🙂 😦 🙂

April 30, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
    • Ehhh

@lunchbreaker,

That's kind of comical coming from you because I've seen you post that drivel many times. You name call and act condescending towards Christians. I've seen you lump and sterotype all Christians into categories countless times. Hypocrisy LMAO!!! Thanks!!

April 30, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
    • HELLO FRIENDS

@EHHHH

SUCH A TYPICAL PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE CHRISTIAN

April 30, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
    • God's Oldest Dreamer

Ehhh,,,,,,,,,,,, ,

I just hate sitting upon the fences and I just love jumping the fencelines going ever back and forth! Call hypocritical of me but I just love being hot as hell and then just above the boiling points! It's only when my body grows ever so cold that I will become a facated and unblemished figment of calrities demonstratves neverness yet in Godliness always the remembered!

April 30, 2012 at 3:12 pm |
    • Donovan Cook

Not all atheists are bad. Like most "Original Atheists", I really just keep to myself. I could really care less about religion, unless you shove it in my face. That's what the world needs to do. Mind itself.

April 30, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
    • God's Oldest Dreamer

calrities,,,, meant to type clarities dang type on the screen is too damn small,,,,or I am a buttress in need of butter! LoL

April 30, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
    • Ehhh

lunchbreaker,

Why don't you respond? Is it because you were caught being a fraud? Typical atheism....

April 30, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
    • momoya

Or is it because he doesn't check this blog ever 3.7426 seconds like you do.. Hmm... But yeah, go ahead and a.ssume you know the reason–that's what believers are best at.

April 30, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
    • Ehhh

@momoya,

After reviewing many of your posts you seem to be quite good at that as well. Congrats!!

April 30, 2012 at 3:43 pm |
    • momoya

I'm just hopeful that you'll continue posting.. Keep on putting up those "christian values" for us.. Praise god, eh?

April 30, 2012 at 3:48 pm |
    • smashicus

momoya, your mom said to get upstair and wash the dishes now!

April 30, 2012 at 10:50 pm |
  17. Randy Stone Live

I believe there is a place for every one in this country. I believe we should be free to speak our mind about what we like or dont like. If some one is gay, I don't care! I am a bible believing christian. I dont think gay people are going to hell for being gay! thats really stupid. I will respect you being different,respect me in turn. I am not out crusading against gays. Do what you want, Be what you want. I am not the judge of anyone but me. Attacks from either side are not productive.

April 30, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
    • Jim from BC

I respect your position I really do, but don't you think you have some responsibility to explain the parts of the bible that clearly attack gay people? Or at least explain why you apparently aren't a "Bible-believing" christian when it comes to those parts? At least if your going to be intellectualy honest with yourself.

April 30, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
    • MarcTTF

@Randy

When you cherry pick the bits that you believe and adhere to, that makes you a Pseudo Christian at best.

April 30, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
    • Truth

@Jim,

Great question and it absolutely does deserve an answer. I've researched and found a well thought out, rational, and accurate answer that does address your question. Unfortunately it's not an easy one line answer and therefore I'll let you seek out the answer on your own. Just to let you know though, there is a Christian answer that addresses that question which makes sense.

Godspeed my friend.

April 30, 2012 at 3:14 pm |
  18. Hypocrisy at its Finest

So at an anti-bullying rally this guy throws out hateful rhetoric targeted at a select group of people. In layman terms, at an anti-bullying rally this guy starts to bully those he disagrees with......What's new, he kind of reminds me of many of the commentors on here, yelling about how evil Christianity is and how it's everything that's wrong w the world, yet at the same time they're hoping for bad things to happen to Christians and their comments are full of hate.

April 30, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
    • Nonimus

From the clips posted, he was initially attacking specific things in the Bible, not Christians in general, and not children in the audience. How is that bullying?

April 30, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
    • Hypocrisy at its Finest

@nonimus,

Correct, he was not directly attacking the children, so my apologies if I may have directed my statement towards that. The way he went about it however, was a direct insult to anyone of that particular faith. By saying "blah blah all the BS thats in the Bible" there's no other way to take it. Had he not wanted to come off condescending and a complete jackhole he could've said it in a much more poignent, calm, and rational manner. He however chose to make obtuse verbal accusations intended to shame those who believe in the Bible. That my friend is hypocrisy at its finest.

I'm a Christian and I could personally care less if you're gay, straight or whatever. Christianity teaches to not judge others, to help out anyone in need, and to especially help those who are hurting or those who are the least in society. It's not right, nor accurate, for atheists for accuse Christianity of being some harmful religion when looking at the shortcomings of their adherents. We are not Christian bc we are more moral or better than anyone else, we are Christian bc we realize that we all are sinners and do bad things, it is only through grace we are saved.

April 30, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
    • Answer

What's the big deal? You tools know that there are bs stuff in that crock bible! You just do not like it when someone points it out.

Deal with that one aspect. It is there. It will be pointed out.

Such hypocrisy in itself.. you people can't stand the truth of someone highlighting those ugly parts. Idiots.

April 30, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
    • lunchbreaker

@ wrongs don't make a right, but bullying a gay person based on scripture is much worse than saying said scripture is BS.

April 30, 2012 at 2:34 pm |
    • Jim from BC

@hippocrisy at it's finest
      The bible also says gays should be put to death. If people are afraid to criticize the bible for fear of offending religious moderates then religious extremists will always have bible verses to hide behind and we will all suffer for it.

April 30, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
    • A priest walks into a gay bar

Dan said what has needed to be said for a long time.

April 30, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
    • danielwalldammit

Heaven forbid that someone should honestly identify the source of misery and state his opposition to it in clear and unambiguous terms. Only a bully would do that.

April 30, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
    • neoritter

@Nominus

His initial statements were not directed at the students. But after many had left he directed comments at the students that would certainly amount to bullying.

"You can tell the Bible guys in the hall to come back now, because I'm done beating up the Bible." *applause* *laughter*

"It's funny how someone who is on the receiving end of beatings...who pansy-a$$ed people react when you push back." *applause* *whooping*

April 30, 2012 at 4:56 pm |
    • neoritter

Oh I forgot this one.

*sarcastic tone* "I apologize if I hurt anyone FEELINGS." *emphasis on the last word*

And then he lumped all the people that left as anti-gay bigots.

April 30, 2012 at 4:58 pm |
    • Kalster65

It's not hypocrisy.....it's bashing the bashers right back. Gay people need to be nice to "Christians"??? Those days are over.

April 30, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
    • j

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being intolerant of intolerance.

April 30, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
    • neoritter

@Kalster65 – and the students who left in the audience were the bashers? You know this how?

April 30, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
    • Rod in Texas

HAHA, you're a moron! He was attaching things in a book, not the people who believe it. You are trying to start an argument where there is none to start.

April 30, 2012 at 5:16 pm |
    • Rod in Texas

Sorry for my type. Attacking....not attaching.

April 30, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
    • Guest

an angry queen yelling out stuff, is not the same thing of a majority culture assuming hate-full, criminal and or bullying action is ok because their religion says that their subject is engaged in sin. Christianity does not allow that behavior, though Roman supremacy does. anyways poor choice of words and phrasing. This guy might wanna take a vow of silence and contemplation or just stay quiet for a while. Check yourself before you reck yourself and your cause.

April 30, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
    • Michael

Hmm I didn't see this as bullying at all. He was attacking content in the bible. This goes to show what Ive always believed; religion makes people brittle and unbending.. and sometimes unthinking, too.

April 30, 2012 at 5:38 pm |
    • Open Minded Christian

Amen.

April 30, 2012 at 5:49 pm |
    • neoritter

For the people that don't see the bullying, here's a more complete portion of the speech in question

//http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=ao0k9qDsOvs

April 30, 2012 at 6:00 pm |
  19. I critically think circles around arrogant atheist hypocrits XD

YOU HAVE TO READ THE BIBLE IN ITS ENTIRETY TO GET THE BEAUTIFUL PICTURE, I AM SURE JUST A SNIPPET OF MONA LISAS HAIR WOULDN'T BE A GOOD EXAMPLE OF HER PORTRAIT WITHOUT THE REST!!!! I LOVE YOU ALL, WE ARE ALL HIS CHILDREN!!! I LOVE YOU LORD, MY FATHER, MY LORD, AND HOLY SPIRIT!!! AMEN!

April 30, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
    • Answer

Sure you do. You love your god so much that you hate god for not agreeing with your actions to kill people because you feel offended.

I'm sure you'll find your hell and please by all means enjoy your own created hell. It doesn't exist for atheists.

April 30, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
    • your god is irreducibly complex

Using all caps does not make your beliefs true. Neither does quoting 2,000 year old scripture.

April 30, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
    • Answer

It sure does make you look like you are "angry" though. XD

April 30, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
    • loki

Maybe we can focus on the hypocrisy & disgusting nature of the gay lifestyle. Let's give that a whirl for a change.

April 30, 2012 at 2:36 pm |
    • YeahRight

"Maybe we can focus on the hypocrisy & disgusting nature of the gay lifestyle. "

Only a prejudice bigoted person who doesn't know that the experts around the world totally disagree with you would make such a stupid comment. LMAO!

April 30, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

@loki: Maybe you can try not being a bigot! Nothing wrong with people who are born gay, it is natural and as long as they are happy and not causing harm to others, it is none of your business or the business of anyone else.

April 30, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
    • Nonimus

@loki,
      "Disgusting" is a matter of opinion, but what is "hypocritical" about being gay?

April 30, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
    • just sayin

You really need to take Jesus's P_nis out of your mouth.

April 30, 2012 at 5:05 pm |
    • Dan Sutton

What an idiot. I've read the bible: unlike you, (a) I understood it, and (b) I know how to use my CapsLock key. It was nothing more than badly-done science fiction. People who believe this nonsense deserve everything they get. And I don't mean that in a good way. Religious people should be killed and eaten like the herd animals that they are.

April 30, 2012 at 6:42 pm |
    • Dan Sutton

April 30, 2012 at 6:43 pm |
    • bitphr3ak

Read it from cover to cover...then I put it down, told the church Thanks! But no thanks!,

and now I only pick it up now to highlight hypocrisy in those who use it as a tool to judge others.

April 30, 2012 at 8:17 pm |
    • barryswhitehalf

Democrats embraces a raging anti-Christian, anti-American pervert...amazing. When the masks come off Democrats, all that's left is pure Evil! Who else but Democrats would dictate the death of over 126,000,000 infants...torn out from their Mothers' wombs???

May 1, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
  20. Reality

One more time: The Facts–

"Abrahamics" believe that their god created all of us and of course that includes the g-ay members of the human race. Also, those who have studied ho-mo-se-xuality have determined that there is no choice involved therefore ga-ys are ga-y because god made them that way.

To wit:

o The Royal College of Psy-chiatrists stated in 2007:

“ Despite almost a century of psy-choanalytic and psy-chological speculation, there is no substantive evidence to support the suggestion that the nature of parenting or early childhood experiences play any role in the formation of a person’s fundamental heteros-exual or hom-ose-xual orientation. It would appear that s-exual orientation is biological in nature, determined by a complex interplay of ge-netic factors and the early ut-erine environment. Se-xual orientation is therefore not a choice.[60] "

"Garcia-Falgueras and Swaab state in the abstract of their 2010 study, "The fe-tal brain develops during the intraut-erine period in the male direction through a direct action of tes-tosterone on the developing nerve cells, or in the female direction through the absence of this hor-mone surge. In this way, our gender identi-ty (the conviction of belonging to the male or female gender) and s-exual orientation are programmed or organized into our brain structures when we are still in the womb. There is no indication that social environment after birth has an effect on gender ident–ity or s-exual orientation."[8

See also the Philadelphia Inquirer review “Gay Gene, Deconstructed”, 12/12/2011. Said review addresses the following “How do genes associated with ho-mose-xuality avoid being weeded out by Darwinian evolution?”

Of course, those gays who belong to Abrahamic religions abide by the rules of no adu-ltery or for-nication allowed.

And because of basic biology differences said monogamous ventures should always be called same-s-ex unions not same-s-ex marriages.

From below, on top, backwards, forwards, from this side of the Moon and from the other side too, gay se-xual activity is still mutual masturbation caused by one or more complex se-xual differences. Some differences are visually obvious in for example the complex maleness of DeGeneres, Billy Jean King and Rosie O'Donnell.

Yes, heteros-exuals practice many of the same "moves" but there is never a doubt who is the female and who is the male.

April 30, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
    • Jim from BC

Dude, the vast majority of straight christians, muslims, jew etc. don't abide by the rules on fornication. And at least a substantial minority don't abide by the rules on adultery.

April 30, 2012 at 2:53 pm |
    • Reality

Jim,

Thanks for that "shocking" Revelation 🙂

April 30, 2012 at 5:43 pm |
    • BadIdea

The biggest thing to take away is a lot of gay people will be hurt because of dan's comments.

April 30, 2012 at 9:58 pm |