home
RSS
April 30th, 2012

Columnist Dan Savage stands by comments on 'bulls**t in the Bible'

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Columnist and gay-rights advocate Dan Savage is standing by his comment that “we can learn to ignore the bulls**t in the Bible about gay people” at a recent conference for high school students, a line that prompted some to walk out and spurred intense online debate.

In a blog post on Sunday, Savage wrote that his remark at a conference for the Journalism Education Association and the National Scholastic Press Association was "being spun as an attack on Christianity. Which is bullshhh… which is untrue.”

“I was not attacking the faith in which I was raised," Savage wrote. "I was attacking the argument that gay people must be discriminated against — and anti-bullying programs that address anti-gay bullying should be blocked (or exceptions should be made for bullying 'motivated by faith') — because it says right there in the Bible that being gay is wrong.”

Some Christian students walked out of the Seattle speech, prompting another controversial line from Savage: “It’s funny to someone who is on the receiving end of beatings that are justified by the Bible how pansya**ed people react when you push back.”

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Savage apologized for that specific remark in Sunday’s blog post, writing that his word choice “was insulting, it was name-calling, and it was wrong.”

One of the teachers attending the speech with his students told CNN’s Carol Costello on Monday that he was taken aback by the speech and that he supported the decision of some of his students to walk out of it.

“It took a real dark, hostile turn, certainly, as I saw it,” said Rick Tuttle, a teacher at Sutter Union High School in Southern California. “It became very hostile toward Christianity, to the point that many students did walk out, including some of my students.”

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

“They felt that they were attacked … a very pointed, direct attack on one particular group of students. It’s amazing that we go to an anti-bullying speech and one group of students is picked on in particular, with harsh, profane language.”

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Bible • Charity • Christianity • Homosexuality • Israel • Schools • TV-CNN Newsroom

soundoff (4,113 Responses)
  1. Skeptical

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvleOBYTrDE&w=640&h=360]

April 30, 2012 at 8:17 pm |
  2. DanB

Didn't this lunitic support Bush invading Iraq?

Yup, he did:

April 30, 2012 at 8:16 pm |
    • Guy

A lot of people supported Bush and trusted him. We were all wrong in doing so. It appears George was hearing God's voice. It sounded a lot like Dick Cheney's.

April 30, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
  3. ReasonPrevails

Religious people lack the ability to think critically and ask the tough questions. Their best counter-arguments to any criticism involves the following statements:
    1. Because the Bible/God/Jesus said so
    2. (See point 1)

I know because my parents were in a Christian cult until they started thinking for themselves. Unfortunately the toll was great. My dad as an example: 25 years spent brainwashed and tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars (would be retired already). 2 destroyed marriages also as a result, and a near total loss of my entire childhood.

Even as a kid I could see through all the BS and fundamental flaws, but was powerless to do anything. Wake up people!

April 30, 2012 at 8:14 pm |
    • Guy

Like Mark Twain said, no one really likes going to church. In heaven you're in church for eternity. That sounds like hell.

April 30, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
    • sarah

That's a lot of donations... and a lot more than people normally give.

April 30, 2012 at 8:19 pm |
    • momoya

What's horrible is how common your story is.. I'm not an advocate for atheism, but for critical thinking.. But the bible is pretty stupid, so..

April 30, 2012 at 8:19 pm |
    • hectorious2009

...that's your experience and not everyone experienced 'religion' in a cult.

April 30, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
    • Jane

All religions are cults, pretty much. Christianity certainly is. Lots of sects, sure, but they all smell pretty much the same.

April 30, 2012 at 8:24 pm |
  4. Max17

Nobody cares why the idiot had is panties in a wad, he had no business attacking high school kids for their belief system. What a coward. Dan, come to Texas and speak to a grown man like that. Use the 'pansy a...ed' label. Just once. Update your health and dental insurance first though. Later, sweetie.

April 30, 2012 at 8:12 pm |
    • xab

You sound like a Southern, uneducated bigot.

April 30, 2012 at 8:17 pm |
    • PantyRaid

tee hee 🙂

April 30, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
    • Jane

Max, your comment proves the necessity of Dan's remarks, and you are a coward.

Coward!

April 30, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
    • Meat

I would gladly take you up on that offer, and when this 300lb Kansas ash kicker sees you face to face, would gladly smash your teeth in. Id call it a little revenge for some of the alternate lifestyle friends I have (who are and will all ways be a better man than you.) Like most texans, uneducated, god fearing, god sheeping, idiots, I can only hope that you do not reproduce, and if you do, your children are more tolerable than you.

April 30, 2012 at 8:26 pm |
  5. truth=freedom

I love how people are ready to defend the Bible but when it is taken apart to show how corrupt it is, no one wants to hear, participate, or contribute to the discussions. A true Christian is willing to stay and argue how 'correct' the Bible is. Simply taking a book (that has been translated too many times) as it is is walking through the world with blinders on! Wake up people; some things in the Bible should be questioned.

April 30, 2012 at 8:10 pm |
    • SciGuy

Our English translations of the bible have been translated just once, from Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek into English.

April 30, 2012 at 8:14 pm |
    • Tim

Such as. We have over 30,000 manuscripts of the texts and all are comparable to the other. No other historical manuscript has such bibliography. You mistake the term translate with the many languages that the Bilble has been translated from the manuscripts. The manuscripts are infallable. You may not like what it says but it is what it is. The truth of God.

April 30, 2012 at 8:15 pm |
    • Observer

The "infallible" transcripts say that a circle with a diameter of 10 inches has a circ-umference of 30 inches. Yep.

April 30, 2012 at 8:17 pm |
    • Billy

When someone want to change the Bible, it's usually the parts that make them feel guilty.

April 30, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
    • R.Roman

I would love to hear your reasoning on why you say the bible is corrupt and what parts should be questioned. For your information even though the bible has been translate who knows how many times, when you compare to the original writings stills says the same thing with a few exceptions...

April 30, 2012 at 8:24 pm |
    • Bob

Yeah, Tim, that truth in the bible. Pretty nasty stuff, what your god asks you to do in there too. All that murder and torture, and then there's the animal sacrifices he needs so often.

Note that the bible is very clear that you should sacrifice and burn an animal today because the smell makes sicko Christian sky fairy happy.

Yes, the bible really says that, everyone. Yes, it's in Leviticus, look it up. Yes, Jesus purportedly said that the OT commands still apply. No exceptions. But even if you think the OT was god's mistaken first go around, you have to ask why a perfect, loving enti-ty would ever put such horrid instructions in there. If you think rationally at all, that is.

And then, if you disagree with my interpretation, ask yourself how it is that your "god" couldn't come up with a better way to communicate than a book that is so readily subject to so many interpretations, and has so many mistakes in it. Pretty pathetic god that you've made for yourself.

So get out your sacrificial knife or your nasty sky creature will torture you eternally. Or just take a closer look at your foolish supersti-tions, understand that they are just silly, and toss them into the dustbin with all the rest of the gods that man has created.

Ask the questions. Break the chains. Join the movement. Be free of Christianity and other superstitions.

April 30, 2012 at 8:26 pm |
    • sarah

Hebrew to Greek to English. Anyway, it's highly edited. The old testament contains only a fraction of the complete Torah and they don't resemble each other that closely. Then there are the gospels, once upon a time there were many, many more but they were cut too. Right at the beginning of the bible you have genesis 1 & 2. Ever notice that things happen in a different order? I believe in God, but to believe everything in the bible is logically impossible. You can't do it. At some point you have to choose one version over another and fill in the blanks. So what makes anyone so sure they know the right interpretation?

April 30, 2012 at 8:31 pm |
    • hectorious2009

Bob, Jesus Christ was the last sacrifice. God is a mystery and a revelation not meant for everybody. Sorry if you believe you weren't included just can't you don't understand it.

April 30, 2012 at 8:33 pm |
    • Skeptical

Seriously, just watch the video I posted a few comments above.

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvleOBYTrDE&w=640&h=360]

April 30, 2012 at 9:55 pm |
    • Bob

hectorious2009, above, you claimed that your Christian god sacrificed his son for us. That's a silly belief. Consider this:

How is it that an omnipotent being can sacrifice anything? The whole son sacrifice thing is bogus out of the gate, when a real god could pop up a replacement son at will with less than a snap of its fingers.

Furthermore, how is it that your god couldn't do the saving, without all the dead son hoopla?

And finally, what are you claiming that I don't understand? I'm a lot smarter than you are, so be careful how you respond.

Pretty pathetic god that you've made for yourself there. Care to try again?

April 30, 2012 at 10:00 pm |
  6. ez

i think its bull that he apologized for it.. there was nothing he said that "attacked" or picked on anyone...i love how freedom of speech is so restricted now that u can barely say whats on your mind without faceing a bunch of blowback from it

April 30, 2012 at 8:08 pm |
    • SciGuy

Freedom of speech provides no guarantee that others will passively listen.

April 30, 2012 at 8:12 pm |
    • John

totally agree with you ..

April 30, 2012 at 8:15 pm |
    • Tim

I have worked in public schools for 17 years. There isn't freedom of speech for religous speech. Were there anyone allowed to rebutt the claim that it is B.S.? No, because of the so called wall of separation. It is a one sided argument. An incomplet uninformed one on top of that.

April 30, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
    • Billy

Ez, you're a pansy ass.

April 30, 2012 at 8:19 pm |
  7. tastycles

Honestly Christianity should be attacked.

April 30, 2012 at 8:07 pm |
    • Nelson

Very enlightened of you

April 30, 2012 at 8:08 pm |
    • bitphr3ak

It doesn't have to be attacked...just read the Bible from cover to cover...it dispels itself!

April 30, 2012 at 8:11 pm |
    • cool cecil

Doesn't matter.
      Christ will prevail, dude.
      Come on and get with it.

April 30, 2012 at 8:13 pm |
    • BRANTICUS

Then you are of the same kind of people who killed the Jews in Nazi Germany

April 30, 2012 at 8:14 pm |
    • cool cecil

@Branticus,

If Christians did Hitler's dirty work, then why did Dietrich Bonhoeffer, a Christian minister, get executed for spying?

April 30, 2012 at 8:17 pm |
    • Spartan1114

Jesus is portrayed as a Zombie. God is dead, So is your religion.

April 30, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
    • hectorious2009

Christianity IS being attacked! Personally, as a Christian, I don't care if some of the posters on here who haven't any faith miss out on what we have. I know I should care, I wish I cared but I don't. If you would rather have nothing then that is your choice but you couldn't call me enough names to make me stop being a Christian. You would have to kill me. And if it comes to that, well then I'm better off dead than being stuck on a planet with so much hate.

April 30, 2012 at 8:40 pm |
  8. fuzzybeargville

I have been asked often what I think of Christians do I hate Christians? honestly I can tell you I have lived as an American here for almost 50 years since I was Born in Dubuque, Iowa, I have been to Asia, Europe, and Australia....and in all this time and in all these places The thousands upon thousands I have met I can truthfully say I have never met a Christian. How can I hate something I have never met and after so many years I can only believe probably does not exists. I have met people who call themselves Christians or Fundamentalist Christians Catholics various Protestants but not one Christian....

April 30, 2012 at 8:06 pm |
    • jralsoran

I have been fortunate enough to meet a few (very few) people that were obviously Christians. I wish everyone could meet one. It changed my life. The rest of those that claim to be Christians, myself included, fall far short of what Christians should be. The result is that non-believers think all Christians are hypocrites. I choose to believe we are weak and sinful rather than hyprocritical

April 30, 2012 at 8:32 pm |
    • hectorious2009

Fuzzy, maybe if you looked for Jesus Christ himself instead of your idea of what a "Christian" is, maybe then you would meet a "Christian".

April 30, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
  9. Trueview

Just goes to show how brainwashed our high school students are. It is sad to see we have a bunch of religious zombies in our schools. They can't think for themselves. They need to just stay in church where there is no debate. You are bad, sinful, and need to listen to us we know what is best for you. A book of fairy tales for you to obay. What a crock.

April 30, 2012 at 8:06 pm |
    • Trust me

Listen to the video again. You can hear all the brainwashed students whooping and cheering him on. These kids got up on their own and walked out. They were not told by their teachers to leave. Yes. Students in America are brainwashed but what they see on TV and by gay-friendly media like CNN.

April 30, 2012 at 8:17 pm |
  10. Observer

Censorship on CNN blog.. We know who camp you sit inn

April 30, 2012 at 8:05 pm |
  11. Sara

Not everyone thinks gays are great. Why are people constantly bullying people to approve of them? They are no better but some are much worse. Some are just fine people. Get over it. You suck Dan BTW. and all you people that jump up to rally him on suck too. He was rude and that was uncalled for, what a jerk. Try doing that at a Muslim rally. No? Well then you are a bully because you only pick on people who are nice.

April 30, 2012 at 8:05 pm |
    • Trust me

Well said, Sara!

April 30, 2012 at 8:28 pm |
  12. crindal3000

Nebraska has a coach on their football team that would teach this a lesson or two.

April 30, 2012 at 8:05 pm |
    • Guy

South Carolina has a coach that would love to play the Cornhuskers again.

April 30, 2012 at 8:15 pm |
  13. Guest

Either the Christians are right, or the gay gene also somehow triggers the a**h*le gene as well.

April 30, 2012 at 8:03 pm |
    • newt

so you're saying you're gay

April 30, 2012 at 8:05 pm |
    • momoya

Yay, we get to play the generalization game.. All christians must be bigoted because I saw a bigoted christian the other day..

April 30, 2012 at 8:07 pm |
    • John

Evangelical Christians have given the entire Christian religion a bad name just like the Moslem fanatics have made everyone hate muslims.

April 30, 2012 at 8:17 pm |
  14. newt

straight talker, straight shooter, gay.
    god should be so honest and direct

April 30, 2012 at 8:03 pm |
    • pervert alert

Something is terribly wrong with a person that will put a filthy qu eer ahead of God.

April 30, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
    • mema

God is exactly that that is why you despise those who believe in him. He is clear as to what is sinfull. A man who lays with a man IS a sin. Or women with women, sin, period.

April 30, 2012 at 8:22 pm |
    • Ting

"Something is terribly wrong with a person that will put a filthy qu eer ahead of God"

Something is terribly wrong with a person that will put a non-existent deity ahead of a person.

April 30, 2012 at 8:29 pm |
    • John Galt

There's nothing "straight" about this pansy ass. I'd love him to call me a pansy ass because of my beliefs. I wouldn't walk out. I'd walk straight up to him and make him eat his words.

April 30, 2012 at 8:42 pm |
    • Really-O?

@mema-
      You said it! God is clear – man with man or woman with woman is sin! And let's not forget about those rounded beards and sideburns (Lev 19:27) or keeping handicapped people away from god as their presence would profane his sanctuary. (Lev 21:16-23). Dang! We sure are lucky god is clear about everything.

April 30, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
    • D. Sav.age

@John Galt

You, sir, are a pansy ass. Let's see what ya got!
      ...

April 30, 2012 at 8:47 pm |
  15. The Other White Meat

"LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE" John 8:7 I belive this means: unless you are God or Jesus, STFU.

April 30, 2012 at 8:01 pm |
  16. Patti Reynertson

Dan- You are a pathetic bully. Insulting Christianity to a high school audience? Big man. I'd like you to tell a full auditorium what you think of the Quran. Now that would take guts. Which you don't have. You don't believe in the Bible? Fine. You are irrelevant and can think anything you'd like. Trust me, God will not be mocked- you will pay for that. But your whining, bullying from a mic? Now that"s just embarrassing.

April 30, 2012 at 8:00 pm |
    • richunix

Patti....did you see Elis theis morning again....or you meds need a higher dose...You speak of a deity, what was his name again, was confused with so many,....RA, ZEUS....AN...or weas it HERA...maybe YAHWEH....who knowa...we made up soooo many ....you chooose.

April 30, 2012 at 8:03 pm |
    • upstatenyman

I am soooo sure he will be scared of mocking god. How exactly is he going to pay? So the bullies got bullied. You're belief, I am sure, means nothing to him. Enjoy your fiction.

April 30, 2012 at 8:06 pm |
    • Gregg

He was simply calling out Christianity and sparking debate. Christians do hide behind their bullying as ordained in the Bible. When he pushes back and calls that specific behavior out then he is the bully? Please........ I just wish one of you so called Christians would live the life your Bible calls for.... I have no problem with not agreeing with Gay lifestyles... that is not the point, when you start to condemn the people not the behavior, and bully and beat the people in the name of Scripture you cross to a Godless state. And I am tired as crap of hearing "we are all sinners and imperfect"..... That is a catch all to justify any behavior......

April 30, 2012 at 8:10 pm |
  17. Mark

That's between him and God. Everybody has to one day turn to God. Sometimes it takes a while.

April 30, 2012 at 7:58 pm |
    • Observer

False.

April 30, 2012 at 7:59 pm |
    • TheRationale

The more insightful ones realize he's not there. Besides, if he's anything like what's in the Bible, he's a total monster.

April 30, 2012 at 8:01 pm |
    • Gregg

Wow, now that is delusional. I will defend to the end your right to believe what you choose to believe, but do not foist your beliefs on me. None of us will really know until the very end will we? And then if I am wrong, I can repent (your rules not mine) and be accepted into your club anyway.

April 30, 2012 at 8:12 pm |
  18. Piquerish

Oh, Danny, you seem so ... so EMO.

April 30, 2012 at 7:58 pm |
  19. jellylee2020

Finally someone with the courage to tell it as is. The zealots have been bullying others for way too long.

April 30, 2012 at 7:56 pm |
    • Nelson

So be a vulgar intimidating bully right back? is that the message you embrace?

April 30, 2012 at 8:00 pm |
    • momoya

Nelson, I guess I don't see it as either vulgar, intimidating, or bullying.. You do realize that kids hear worse on their ipod in the twenty minutes on the way to and from school, right?. None of those words describe what he did.

April 30, 2012 at 8:29 pm |
  20. Larry L

Religious articles always get thousands of comments. Evangelicals want to defend the mythology and atheists want to get reinforcement for their logic-based decision. I was always happy to remain tolerant of religion until the Evangelical movement where Christians attacked my right to live and raise my children free of state-sponsored religion. When the right-wing decided the Republican Party "owned" God religion became a political issue and a tool for the rich to motivate the under-educated or overly-fearful masses. Now I have much less tolerance for those who practice religion.

April 30, 2012 at 7:55 pm |
    • richunix

Here Here~

Oh, forgot I'm an Athiest too...but we understand....Still good well written point.

April 30, 2012 at 8:00 pm |
    • DanB

"I was always happy to remain tolerant of religion until the Evangelical movement where Christians attacked my right to live and raise my children free of state-sponsored religion"

As someone who has never been religious all I can say is cut the non-sense and making stuff up. There is complete freedom of religion in the U.S. including complete freedom not to be religious. So quite inventing problems that don't exist and making those of us who don't believe look silly and out of touch. Just do what I, and most atheists do, get on with your life.

April 30, 2012 at 8:08 pm |
    • Gregg

Larry L, I agree with you. Religions were created as tools to suppress and control the people, it has not changes in thousands of years. be it Christians or Muslims, bottom line, control the people, get them to believe in our doctrine, scare them, indoctrinate them young, shame them into joining and then control them.... The Republican party angle is just the modern controlling of a people.

April 30, 2012 at 8:16 pm |
    • Larry L

Freedon of religion also includes freedom FROM religion. Religious people are allowed to deduct contributions to the church from their taxable income – thus reducing the money in the coffers and increasing the deficit. In Texas religious zeolots are funded to run for state school board elections and when elected, remove science and replace it with mythology. We can't buy beer on Sunday morning because religious people believe that time should be spent in church and lobby 'to continure those "blue laws" remaining since the 1950s. I see great mega-churches constructed with tax-exempt funds and headed by slickie-boys driving high-dollar cars and preaching the "prosperity gospel". I go to public events where Christian prayers are offered before and after the tax-funded activity. I see Christians attacking those of other faiths and businesses advertising themselves as a "Christian" enterprise. My tolerance is worn thin for a reason... and I see no evidence of Christians exhibiting any appreciable level of tolerance for others.

April 30, 2012 at 8:29 pm |