home
RSS
April 30th, 2012

Columnist Dan Savage stands by comments on 'bulls**t in the Bible'

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Columnist and gay-rights advocate Dan Savage is standing by his comment that “we can learn to ignore the bulls**t in the Bible about gay people” at a recent conference for high school students, a line that prompted some to walk out and spurred intense online debate.

In a blog post on Sunday, Savage wrote that his remark at a conference for the Journalism Education Association and the National Scholastic Press Association was "being spun as an attack on Christianity. Which is bullshhh… which is untrue.”

“I was not attacking the faith in which I was raised," Savage wrote. "I was attacking the argument that gay people must be discriminated against — and anti-bullying programs that address anti-gay bullying should be blocked (or exceptions should be made for bullying 'motivated by faith') — because it says right there in the Bible that being gay is wrong.”

Some Christian students walked out of the Seattle speech, prompting another controversial line from Savage: “It’s funny to someone who is on the receiving end of beatings that are justified by the Bible how pansya**ed people react when you push back.”

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Savage apologized for that specific remark in Sunday’s blog post, writing that his word choice “was insulting, it was name-calling, and it was wrong.”

One of the teachers attending the speech with his students told CNN’s Carol Costello on Monday that he was taken aback by the speech and that he supported the decision of some of his students to walk out of it.

“It took a real dark, hostile turn, certainly, as I saw it,” said Rick Tuttle, a teacher at Sutter Union High School in Southern California. “It became very hostile toward Christianity, to the point that many students did walk out, including some of my students.”

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

“They felt that they were attacked … a very pointed, direct attack on one particular group of students. It’s amazing that we go to an anti-bullying speech and one group of students is picked on in particular, with harsh, profane language.”

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Bible • Charity • Christianity • Homosexuality • Israel • Schools • TV-CNN Newsroom

soundoff (4,113 Responses)
  1. Mobile Massage Slough

It's appropriate time to make a few plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I have learn this put up and if I could I wish to recommend you some fascinating issues or suggestions. Maybe you could write subsequent articles referring to this article. I wish to read more issues approximately it!

May 5, 2012 at 5:07 am |
  2. iyun,may,mart

Amazing issues here. I am very happy to see your post. Thanks so much and I am looking forward to touch you. Will you please drop me a e-mail?

May 5, 2012 at 4:53 am |
  3. b4bigbang

Hey everybody, this scientific survey says that the younger top scientists are more likely to attend religious services than the older ones and the researcher thinks it could be a trend ind icating a future increase in religious top scientists!

Right there – last paragraph.

May 5, 2012 at 12:47 am |
  4. tricyclic antidepressants weight gain,tricyclic antidepressants mechanism of action,tricyclic antidepressants overdose,tricyclic antidepressants list,tricyclic antidepressants names,tricyclic antidepressants alcohol,tricyclic antidepressants contraindicat

lofl where'd ya get those pics from? They look familiar, maybe it's just another TCAs trip I'm having, I don't know teehee

May 5, 2012 at 12:40 am |
  5. obama, politic, goverment, elections

I simply could not leave your site before suggesting that I really enjoyed the standard info an individual provide on your guests? Is going to be again continuously in order to investigate cross-check new posts

May 4, 2012 at 9:05 pm |
  6. acrx

I'm now not positive where you're getting your information, but great topic. I needs to spend a while learning more or working out more. Thanks for wonderful information I was in search of this info for my mission.

May 4, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
  7. Michael

It's so funny to me that the people who complain so much about how they are victims of intolerance are the MOST INTOLERANT ones themselves!!!!

May 4, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
  8. conrad

Looked to me like the anti bullying "guru" was viciously bullying christians and non-gays

May 4, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
  9. n8263

Mark, I understand where you are coming from however your comparison of Savage to hate groups is not fair. They do not hold rational views. It is irrational for feminists to hate all men, for Black Panthers to hate all whites, for the KKK to hate all blacks and so on. This can be demonstrated with reason, and if you can not accept that then this conversion ends here because it is not worth it to me to take the time to go to that level of analysis.

There are objective truths in this world. Things that can be backed up by science and reason. Objectively speaking the Earth is not flat, it is round. Likewise it is accepted scientific fact that Evolution is true. It is not just an opinion, it is scientific fact. Because of science we know that literal Creationism is false, and for that matter many stories presented in a literal manner in the Bible such as Noah's Ark, when taken literally are also known to be false.

This is not opinion, it is fact.

It is fact in the exact same way that it is a fact that the Earth is round, not flat.

The objective truth is that there is a lot of bullshit in the Bible. I know Christians like to rationalize it away with various explanations, but it is still bullshit, objectively speaking. Somebody telling the truth, for example that the Earth is not flat, is not "bullying" for doing so even if they are talking to members of the Flat Earth Society who do not want to hear it.

The key here is that Christians have no more a moral right to be offended by the truth, that the Bible contains a lot of bullshit, than the Flat Earth Society does, because the bullshit is indefensible with rational, objective arguments.

What is even worse is when that bullshit is used to bully people, which is what Savage was addressing. The audience can rudely walk out, but they do not have a moral right to do so, and really owe him an apology.

May 4, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
    • n8263

In the first paragraph that was supposed to be conversation not conversion. By the way Mark, you seem to be under the impression Savage insulted them as they were walking out and that is not true. The pansy comment was made on his blog the next day and he did apologize for that.

May 4, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Hi n8263. Then we respectfully have arrived at a agree to disagree point... and there is nothing wrong with that. For me it is irrational for Dan's attack on the kids in his audience. I have shown my points that just as some Atheist feel that since there are parts of the scripture they do not connect with and then choose to dismiss the entire Bible, the same method can be applied to the others that your, mine and others personal views define as irrational.

Try this, if you ask a klan man why do you hate blacks, few will be as simple to just say that they just hate us because of our pigmentation. They will hit you with facts that they will grasp onto to rationalize their hatred. They will give prison numbers, single parent homes, black on black murder rates and finish it off with a question of European advancements vs advancements from the continental of Africa. While you and me might attempt to argue these points, the klan guy will hold that data and feel him or herself justified. Same as the feminist.

Evolution, form my view can be ran paralleled enough with the creation text, that I personally do not see why evolutionist and creationist are “that” much at odds. Both started with a bang and continued,in many ways hand in hand.

>>>”The audience can rudely walk out, but they do not have a moral right to do so, and really owe him an apology.”

Then would I, and I guess if you are a male as well, be morally bound to sit through the Feminist lecture? Also, should one have to apologize for removing themselves from what they feel is a hostile situation? We teach children that when bullied and insulted to not fight back but to walk away, why should they be morally bound in this situation to continue to remain in the auditorium? In many ways what I feel possible upset Dan enough to call a bunch of kids pansys, which he has apologized for, is that in that instant he saw the “just walk away” principle that anti-bullying groups promote. He just realized that it was being used against him and he had to come to grips that he was the bully in this instance.

If this is a agree to disagree point, then I thank you n8263 and it was a honor and pleasure. 🙂

L'Chaim

May 4, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

>>>”By the way Mark, you seem to be under the impression Sav'age insulted them as they were walking out and that is not true. The pansy comment was made on his blog the next day and he did apologize for that.”

n8263, with a great deal of respect, his “apology” was on the blog, the pansy comment occurred as the kids were walking out.

“During this portion of his address, several Christian students stormed out, to which Sav'age responded by saying, "It's funny to someone who is on the receiving end of beatings that are justified by the Bible how pansy-a people react when you push back."

Can you give a URL to link to a more definitive time frame because the stories and details from the teaching staff was that the “pansy” comment was that day at the time or just after the students choose to remove themselves.

May 4, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
    • Common Sense

May 4, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

>>>”Then you must not know much about evolution to accept that it is true. If you want to put your faith in unfounded, unobservable, unempirical, fallacious pseudoscience then that's your prerogative.”

When it comes to evolution what I want is see if enough commonality between the theories of Evolution and the Creationist to move to a co-existence or at least a tolerance. For example life.

“Scientists are exploring several possible locations for the origin of life, including tide pools and hot springs. However, recently some scientists have narrowed in on the hypothesis that life originated near a deep sea hydrothermal vent. The chemicals found in these vents and the energy they provide could have fueled many of the chemical reactions necessary for the evolution of life.” Source: http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/0_0_0/origsoflife_03

Now take the Biblical scripture

“And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life,” Genesis 1:20

See, to me that is one of those wild things about the Bible. We now know today with fossils and other research that life began in the sea. Now, in the Holy text it was written that life began in the sea. So some person, in the fifth century who did not have the technical knowledge we process today … essentially got it right. I could understand if the scripture said poof and all was created at once but the progression of creation mirrors evolution close enough that I can't see or understand what all the fighting is about.

So, yes I feel it is prerogative and is worth if it can build more bridges.

L'Chaim.

May 5, 2012 at 1:15 am |
    • Haime52

Scientific facts are testable, replicable and repeatable. When was evolution relpicated? When did ANYONE repeat it? A series of one steps is NOT a whole process. And you cannot, will never be able to reproduce the whole of evolution(hint: it supposedly that millions and billions of years.) You impune the whole of science when you call a theory, fact!

Can a microbe empirically observe Man? Do you really think mankind so intelligent that we can observe empirically everything and anything we wish? What if there is an intelligence out there that does not wish to be observed? One so far great than we and so outside our ken as to be unobservable by us, now?

May 5, 2012 at 10:03 am |
  10. free healthcare

Hello, Neat post. There is an issue along with your site in web explorer, may test this? IE still is the market leader and a large component of people will omit your wonderful writing because of this problem.

May 4, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
  11. mallen

Can't be repeated enough times: the ignorance of Christian faith by atheists is astounding. Reading the comments in this article is so sad. These people have absolutely no idea how the many themes of salvation, revelation, sin, judgment, mercy, grace, remnant, resurrection, etc. weave through the Bible into a cohesive narrative of God's love and grace displayed in all creation. If they spent as much time reading the Bible as they do criticizing it in ignorance, they might actually learn something. There is life in God's Word; there is no life in their hate.

May 4, 2012 at 12:56 pm |
    • Primewonk

The vast majority of atheists are former theists. Many of us are former fundamentalists. Hell, I spent grade school in a LCMS school. I could throw down with the best of them.

Luckily, many of us found cracks in the foundation. We learned that the faith was based on a house of cards. And once that first card fell, the whole house collapsed.

Sorry.

May 4, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
    • MarkinFL

I had read the bible/s in their entirety twise before I was 18. That alone would have been enough to turn me off from your god even if reason hadn't already sent me down that path. As noted, most atheists were raised going to church and to pray and believe.
      Obviously indoctrination does not always work.

May 4, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
    • MarkinFL

twice. :/

May 4, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
    • LinCA

@mallen

Can't be repeated enough times: the ignorance of christians is astounding. Reading the comments in this article is so sad. These people have absolutely no idea how insane the many themes of salvation, revelation, sin, judgment, mercy, grace, remnant, resurrection, etc. are that are weaved through the Bible, making it into a telling narrative of God's despicable hatred of his creation. If they spent half as much time reading the Bible and critically evaluating it, as they do spouting from it, they might actually learn something. There is life in reason; there is no life in their ignorance.

May 4, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
  12. geilelaura

Thanks for any other magnificent post. Where else could anybody get that type of information in such a perfect manner of writing? I've a presentation subsequent week, and I'm at the search for such info.

May 4, 2012 at 10:17 am |
  13. emmy

Nice blog right here! Additionally your website rather a lot up fast! What web host are you the use of? Can I am getting your affiliate hyperlink for your host? I desire my web site loaded up as fast as yours lol

May 4, 2012 at 10:07 am |
  14. babefleur

Hello, Neat post. There is an issue together with your site in web explorer, would check this? IE still is the market leader and a large portion of other people will pass over your wonderful writing due to this problem.

May 4, 2012 at 10:02 am |
  15. geilepatty.

Hello, i think that i noticed you visited my blog so i got here to go back the desire?.I am trying to to find issues to improve my website!I assume its ok to make use of a few of your concepts!!

May 4, 2012 at 9:12 am |
  16. Simple Electronic and Microcontroller Projects with tutorials

We are a bunch of volunteers and starting a brand new scheme in our community. Your website provided us with useful information to paintings on. You've performed an impressive activity and our entire group can be grateful to you.

May 4, 2012 at 8:07 am |
  17. discount medical products

Throughout this great pattern of things you get an A with regard to effort. Exactly where you actually lost me was on all the particulars. As people say, details make or break the argument.. And it could not be much more true at this point. Having said that, allow me inform you what did deliver the results. The article (parts of it) is actually really powerful which is possibly the reason why I am making an effort to comment. I do not really make it a regular habit of doing that. Second, whilst I can certainly notice a leaps in reason you come up with, I am definitely not sure of just how you seem to unite the points which in turn make the conclusion. For now I shall subscribe to your position but trust in the foreseeable future you actually connect the facts better.

May 4, 2012 at 1:12 am |
  18. Cafeconservative

This article shows two great things.

First, liberals are hypocrites. They will create a cause that on the surface sounds good using words like civil liberties, human rights, justice, freedom and so on. They will pretend these causes are for the betterment of all mankind and are in place to keep anyone from being victimized. But it's not long before their true colors come out and you find out that the betterment comes with a few stipulations like "you must conform" and "if you're not part of some protected minority group, you must place those minorities above yourself" and "if you not a popular minority (gay, black, female) but just some lowly native american or something, you too must put the favored minorities above yourself."

The second thing we see is that when a representative of one of these causes blatantly behaves in contradiction with their cause, all the liberals become contortionists and jump through hoops trying to explain how, in fact, that person's behavior was completely in line with the cause all the time.

This is modern liberalism. It's progressivism at it's core. Be forewarned and spread the word.

May 3, 2012 at 10:11 pm |
  19. asturias

Cudillero Asturias

May 3, 2012 at 6:50 pm |
  20. Cornwall Computer

I liked as much as you'll receive performed proper here. The comic strip is tasteful, your authored material stylish. however, you command get got an edginess over that you would like be handing over the following. sick no doubt come further in the past again since precisely the similar just about very frequently inside of case you shield this hike.

May 3, 2012 at 2:56 pm |