home
RSS
Biden's support for gay marriage matches most Catholics' views
Vice President Joe Biden went further than President Barack Obama has on supporting gay marriage.
May 7th, 2012

Biden's support for gay marriage matches most Catholics' views

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Apparent White House division over gay marriage - with Vice President Joe Biden saying Sunday that he is “absolutely comfortable” with the idea, going further than President Obama has on the issue – mirrors a nation that is evenly divided on the matter. Recent polls show that about half of Americans favor legalized gay marriage, while half oppose it, with support for the idea gaining significant ground over the past 15 years.

Pew’s latest polling on the issue, conducted late last year, found that 46% of Americans support favor allowing gays and lesbians to marry legally, while 44% are opposed. Support for gay civil unions is substantially higher, with a clear majority of Americans supporting such arrangements.

Feelings about gay marriage correlate to various religious traditions and levels of religiosity, with those nonaffiliated with any religion most supportive of gay marriage. It’s worth noting the dramatic recent shifts on the issue among Roman Catholics, whose ranks include Biden.

Despite the Roman Catholic Church’s rigorous opposition to gays getting the right to marry, Pew found that Catholics support gay marriage by a margin of 52% to 37%. That’s a shift from 2010, when just 46% of Catholics favored gay marriage.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Among white Catholics, support is even higher at 57%, while Hispanic Catholics are evenly divided.

The religious group most opposed to gay marriage is white evangelical Protestants, among whom 74% oppose it, according to Pew. Sixty-two percent of black Protestants, a key part of President Obama’s political base, also oppose gay marriage.

After Biden voiced support for gay marriage, a senior Obama campaign adviser said there was no difference on the issue between the vice president and the president, who once said he opposed gay marriage but has since said his views on the matter are “evolving.”

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

"What the VP said - that all married couples should have the same legal rights - is (precisely) POTUS' position," said David Axelrod, a senior adviser to Obama's re-election campaign, in a Twitter message.

The issue has gotten attention recently as North Carolinians prepare to vote Tuesday on a ballot initiative that would amend the state constitution to ban gay marriage, reinforcing a state law banning such unions. The Rev. Billy Graham has endorsed the measure, while former President Bill Clinton has taped a robo call opposing it.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: 2012 Election • Gay marriage • Politics

1. Ryan Meeks

This wouldn't even be a headline if Biden, and other "catholics" who publicly denied the faith were excommunicated. If the Catholic Church wishes the faith it proclaims to be taken seriously, then men like Biden cannot call himself one of their number.

May 8, 2012 at 7:18 am |
    • Sue

The Church needs to kick him and and Satan's daughter from Calf ( Nancy Baby killer) out of the church

May 8, 2012 at 7:25 am |
    • ...

And the church (along with each and every one of its members) can rot.

: )

May 8, 2012 at 7:32 am |
    • Jesus

Ryan, I will cast you into...I never knew ye...ye're goin into HELL son.....you need to sit on my lap to be forgiven....no, those scabs are not contagious.....wait!

May 8, 2012 at 7:33 am |
    • Primewonk

Fine. I assume yyou are also calling for the expulsion of the 98% adult Catholics in the US who use, or have used, contraception.

Your little band of bigots will then be the equivalent of the good folks at Westboro Baptist.

May 8, 2012 at 8:23 am |
    • Jacques Strappe, World Famous French Ball Juggler

If everybody who didn't follow church rules were excommunicated, there would be very few Catholics left. So yes, I agree. The Catholic Church should excommunicate those people.

May 8, 2012 at 8:35 am |
    • Ryan Meeks

There is, by the way, a tremendous difference between sinning (though you try to avoid it) and embracing sinful acts. Biden is doing the latter, and that demands excommunication. Not only that, but as a public figure he may be influencing others to follow his act, or to think what he is doing is acceptable.

And, you nor I have any idea how many of those 98% that HAVE (may not be currently) using contraceptives have repented because of their past actions, or were using them for medical necessity. The question should be "how many Catholics are CURRENTLY using contraceptives," but if you were interested in FACTS, then you would pursue that answer instead, and not appeal to the most obvious straw man in existence.

May 8, 2012 at 7:29 pm |
  2. Jeanine by proxy

Having another marky mark mark melty melters meltdown melties Markety Mark Marky Mark Mark Mrak?

Ahhhhh boobooboobooboobooboo!!! Ahhhhhhhhhh Booboobooboobooboo!!!! Dah Dah Bah Bah Voooooooo!!!

May 8, 2012 at 6:40 am |
    • Ling Shu

I'm still laughing at this fake post by whoever hijacked my name! LOL

May 8, 2012 at 6:48 am |
    • Jeanine

LOL Oops! LOL
      Laughing too hard. LOL

May 8, 2012 at 6:49 am |
    • Joxer the Mighty

I'm basing my opinion (which is most likely a fact) on your little screwup Jeanine, but I'm willing to bet you've been trolling the entire time with multiple handles. Anything else you say will be ignored. Please take your little troll game back to the avatar forums where others might find humor in it. Here, we try to debate real topics.

Jeanine =

WWJD
      Nii
      Jeanine by proxy
      Ling Shu

You've been figured out. Goodbye.

May 8, 2012 at 6:55 am |
    • Like a G9

P1ss off, Joxer. If you've never had your name stolen I guess you will get yours someday. I'm not playing games here even though I was bluffing about the GED. That's about it.
      If you'd read my other posts, you'd see I don't fck around like you do or Mark / Nii / Athiestsarecrap / etc.
      I used Ling Shu to test my proxy connection. That's all it was used for. So suck my d1ck.

May 8, 2012 at 7:10 am |
    • ...

For anyone NOT in the IT field, I'd like to point something out here. There is no need to change one's screen name in order to test a proxy server. Do you even know what a proxy server does? Something tells me you aren't the sharpest light bulb in the freezer.

May 8, 2012 at 7:28 am |
    • Like a G9

For an idiot, you are really stupid. I use a different name in case the post goes haywire. I'm trying to have a discussion and you think I'm as stupid as you. Well thanks for the insult.

May 8, 2012 at 7:35 am |
    • ...

LOL!!

And, uh, how is the post going to go "haywire" via proxy? This is merely a wordpress page with a simple comment box. Changing one's name has absolutely NOTHING to do with the proxy. Funny funny!

May 8, 2012 at 7:44 am |
    • Like a G9

...
      LOL
      I can see you haven't tried using random proxies before. I've had posts that never went anywhere, posts that went in the wrong place, and I laugh that you haven't figured out that if I want to toss a test post out there that there is no reason to use my name for a throwaway post.
      Go ahead and give it a shot, fool. Start using random proxies. Use ones from foreign countries. Keep posting here and see what sort of discussion you are able to have when half the posts you make go nowhere or shoved at the top or bottom of a page instead of where it was supposed to go. And then try to have a conversation that way. Go ahead. Make my proxy day.

May 8, 2012 at 7:50 am |
    • Like a G9

Well?
      I'm still waiting to hear about how you used different proxies and they all gave different results in posting here.

Oh? You're awfully quiet? Are you dead? Did I kill you with my cogent arguments and laughter? Wouldn't that be too bad. lol

May 8, 2012 at 9:02 am |
    • Jeanine

I don't usually go around making a big deal out of turning the tables on a liar, but in this case I think it warranted to announce that "atheist fred" is a liar, a fraud, and totally full of crap.

So ends this lesson.

May 8, 2012 at 10:18 am |
    • ...

Sorry, some of us have jobs : )

Just FYI, the fact that you're using a "random proxy" is a testament to your sheer stupidity. Now, one must ask why you would use a "random proxy" in the first place. Is CNN blocked where you work? I know you aren't posting from school because a school wouldn't block a news source. The majority of employers wouldn't either.

So that leaves one conclusion. You're trying to avoid being detected by the administrators where you work because you make a lot of stupid posts that would probably get you fired.... you know, for trolling during work hours. Now, I have to be the bearer of incredibly bad news for you, stupid.

Proxy spinners do not create encrypted VPN tunnels. Therefore, the plain-text postings that you are making still hit your own network's proxy. They are more than likely logged. And guess what? There's nothing you can do about it! *gasp*

How's it feel to be a complete moron?

: )

May 9, 2012 at 7:09 am |
    • ...

By the way mind cripple, I have no need to use a proxy spinner. You know, considering the fact that being an administrator affords me the opportunity to bypass the proxies at work for the purposes stated above. But I'll tell you what is REALLY fun... that's watching people using proxy spinners, thinking they're getting past security like a real-life hacker. Then, turning these people in and watching them get FIRED! Blocking proxy spinners is quite easy as well : D Also, proxy spinners have no bearing on where your posts end up. It all depends on the user's inability to click the "reply" button instead of going tor a normal post. Rocket science much? Nah. I didn't think so!

Go ahead, tell us what super secret squirrel shit it is that you do that requires a proxy spinner.

May 9, 2012 at 7:14 am |
    • Jeanine

I wouldn't know. You tell me.

I'm not sitting behind a proxy at work. So all your blather is really really stupid and desperate stuff.
      I have no problem here. It is you with the problem.
      You have admitted to lying, to bluffing, to basically making up everything you say.

And for what? Because I am clearly smarter than you? Too bad. Not everyone gets the brains, fred. You appear to be too stupid to know when you are beaten and way too stupid to know when you are outclassed and out of your league.

You can't even read very well.
      And you love jumping to completely unsupported conclusions and sound more like a whiny teenager with every post.

Go back to /b/. Tell them you failed. Because you really failed big time here. bye, loser.

May 9, 2012 at 7:18 am |
    • ...

You got called on your bluff, dumbass. You lost. You have no clue what it is you're talking about. Like on your other mindless post about trying to guess "255." Please. Tell me in what range one would have specifically 255 IP addresses available. Go one. Speak up master genius.

You have NO CLUE. IT degree? LOL. Sure. Is your 'puter still posting "haywire" comments? Bahahahahahaha

Man, what a dumb bastard!

May 9, 2012 at 8:04 am |
    • ...

By the way stupid, I never "admitted" to lying about anything. You're the hero making assumptions about what you think you know about who I am. You're wrong. I can tell you that : ) As far as your level of intelligence... whoa. That's a complete goddamn zero.

May 9, 2012 at 8:06 am |
    • ...

Why in the hell are you using your real email address to post comments Jeanine? That is completely AMATEUR!! I bet you'll never figure out how I know that you're using your real email address : )

May 9, 2012 at 8:07 am |
    • Like a G9

Wow! You are dumber than a box of rocks!

Try going back and reading what I wrote. But maybe that is too difficult for you. Too bad, loser.

May 9, 2012 at 8:08 am |
    • Like a G9

And since you keep posting, I guess I zinged you pretty good or you wouldn't sound so butthurt. LOL

May 9, 2012 at 8:10 am |
  3. jim

Why are Atheists building a religious temple?

May 8, 2012 at 6:17 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

Because atheism is a religion, period.

May 8, 2012 at 6:27 am |
    • sam stone

how is atheism a religion, marky-mark?

May 8, 2012 at 6:43 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

If atheism wasn't a religion, then they wouldn't be building a temple.

You lose.

The end.

May 8, 2012 at 6:51 am |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

Mark: Re-posting the exact link does not prove anything. How about learning the definition of the word religion? I know that might require work and being the lazy ass you show yourself to be here, the definition is:
      1.a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
      2.a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
      3.the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.

Not at all definitive of Atheism.

May 8, 2012 at 6:57 am |
    • Jacques Strappe, World Famous French Ball Juggler

Atheism is as much a religion as health is a disease.

May 8, 2012 at 8:37 am |
  4. Que.er Ned

I would love to te.a ba.g Bidens mouth. I always new he was G.ay.

May 8, 2012 at 6:11 am |
  5. Pancreas

Columbine was an act of resistance to the gay agenda being pushed by biden and his cronies. It was the first of many attempts to change America's focus in order to infiltrate the government and schools with pro-gay activities. Today, there are schools populated entirely by gays. They learn how to coerce straight people into "supporting" their agendas. The two students at Columbine that went nuts were paid to walk into their school that day years ago and attack straight students, mostly good Christian children. It's known that they didn't actually commit suicide as they were later to be found alive living under aliases. So far it has been kept "hush" "hush" by the government with a complete media blackout. They were paid under a sort of protective custody program like when witnesses are given new identities. So they went in, shut the place all to heck and they were given a free ride out. Even the local officials were unaware.

Once this happened, the gay rights movement secretly slid into place and went into hard motion that is nearly impossible to reverse. It took over a decade but they finally started letting "their kind" into the military which is one of the final steps in this new "agenda" that is being pushed. The government is planning on making it a hard line so that what they can do is make being unhetero "the way" so more people do it. From here, they will be able to thin out the population because as we all know, "their kind" can do it with each other but nothing ever happens because as we all very well know "sea men" can't fertilize stuff in the back area if another guy. So the governmental plan is to thin out the populations by creating more gays. From there, the gays will increase in numbers of "their kind" and then they will be thankful to the government for letting them marry or whatever. But their rights will slowly be taken from them without even realzing. And with few of them they will be easier to control and brainwash into socialism slavery. This has been in the works for some time. Pay close attention to the news. There are bits and pieces in there but the proof is in the "pudding" or research as you will call it.

May 8, 2012 at 5:50 am |
    • Mirosal

Pancreas.. I think you need a shot of insulin (make it a double) to balance yourself out. Adjust your meds. Or start taking them if you haven't already.

May 8, 2012 at 5:54 am |
    • Jeanine by proxy

The Columbine Massacre occurred on April 20, 1999, so I guess you swung and missed there.

Also, I don't think Biden was in charge of anything way over there in Colorado back in 99.
      He started as a Senator from Delaware in 1973 or thereabouts, so....another swing and a miss.

Oh, wait, don't tell me, this is Mark having another meltdown. Why do I even bother? These fckheads don't know sh.t from shinola no matter how many words they type. Stupid fckng bigots and retarded racists, the whole lot of em. Bah.

May 8, 2012 at 6:12 am |
    • WASP

@pan or whoever you really are: you are one sick puppy. wither you're a troll trying to get a response, which give yourself a pat on the back for that. i hope no one that survived that tragedy ever reads this bs you just posted.i truly don't know what else to say about this garbage, it's just revulting that you would take this type of event and treat those that died with such disrespect. don't you have any respect for the dead? i hope your god is happy with you for acting so unlike jesus.

May 8, 2012 at 9:09 am |
    • YeahRight

"So the governmental plan is to thin out the populations by creating more gays"

That statement right there shows your opinion isn't based on real facts but just pure prejudice. You can't convert someone into being gay. DUH! The hundred of thousands of experts have shown that being gay is not a choice, it's not a mental illness and it can't be voluntarily changed. DUH!

May 8, 2012 at 10:44 am |
  6. Sydnium S. Adolson 2028

Eeeyuck! No child, no name bearing and adultery may follow. He's worse than "I Pronounce You Chuck and Larry"!
    DON"T VOTE FOR HIM, "he's too gross".

May 8, 2012 at 1:40 am |
    • Mirosal

Yeah, and heteros aren't guilty of adultery? Think again. What if an infertile couple marry? Would you allow that?

May 8, 2012 at 2:16 am |
    • dont move

testing

May 8, 2012 at 6:08 am |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

Plenty of heteros who can't have children also. I love the bigotry of some of the chirstards on this board. Equal rights only seems to pertain to them when those rights mean the people agree to follow their imaginary friend.

May 8, 2012 at 7:02 am |
  7. WWJD

Few 100% true Reasons why Atheism is TERRIBLE and unhealthy for our children and living things:

† Atheism is a religion that makes you stupid, ignorant & blind.
    † Atheism is a disease that needs to be treated.
    † Atheist are satanic and have gothic lifestyle.
    † Atheists causes problem in our religious society.
    † Atheists are mentally ill, that's why they have no faith.
    † Atheism won't take you to kingdom of heaven and paradise.
    † Atheism making you agree with Stalin, Hitler (Denied his faith later), Mao, Pol Pot & other terrible mass murder leaders.
    † Atheists are angry, drug additcted and committ the most crime.
    † Atheist try to convert people over internet because they feel "safer" behind closet.
    † Atheists do not really exist, they just pretend that they don't believe in God and argue with religious people.
    † Atheists have had terrible life experience, bad childhood and not being loved.
    † Most Atheists are uneducated... No Atheists could run for presidency.
    † Atheism brought upon the French Revolution, one of the most evil events of all of history.
    † Atheism cannot explain the origins of the universe, therefore God exists.
    † All atheists believe in evolution, which means they don't believe in morality and think we should all act like animals.
    † The Bible says atheism is wrong, and the Bible is always right (see: Genesis 1:1, Psalms 14:1, Psalms 19:1, Romans 1:19-20)
    † Countries where Atheism is prevalent has the highest Suicide rate & Communist countries = Atheism!
    **Only 2-3% of the U.S. are Atheists/Agnostics VS. over 90% who believe in God (80% Christians) in the U.S.**

† † Our Prayers goes to Atheists to be mentally healthy and seek their creator † †

ATHEISTS WILL BURN IN HELLFIRE AND BRIMSTONE WHERE THEY BELONG AND THEY ALL DESERVE IT AND I CAN'T WAIT TO WATCH FROM ABOVE IN HEAVEN WITH A SMILE WHILE I DANCE ON STREETS OF GOLD WHILE ATHEISTS SKIN BOILS OFF AND THEY CRY LIKE BABIES AND THEIR CHILDREN WILL JOIN THEM WITH HITLER AND STALIN TOO. ATHEISTS ARE EQUAL TO HITLER AND STALIN.

May 8, 2012 at 1:38 am |
    • Mirosal

This post is about gay marriage, not Atheism. You're off-topic. But, I'll answer your cut and paste with my own.
      Atheism is NOT a religion. Nor is it a disease by any means. YOUR post is past stupid, it's asinine. How can Atheists be "satanic" when we don't believe in "satan"? The cross is a very common peice of jewelry in a goth wardrobe. How many Atheists do you see wearing a cross? Your religious society causes the problems when you encroach upon other people who don't want to hear your message, but you never give up. I am an Atheist, my mental helath is fine and dandy. Please provide YOUR statistics for your accusation. There is no heaven or paradise. It is akin to the Greek word "utopia", whch means "no place". Apparently you confuse political power and paranoia with Atheism. Take a poli-sci class or two and you'll see the difference. We only get angry when you won't leave us alone. Please provide your sources that say Atheists commit the most crime. 90% of felons in the prison system claim they are Christians, now why is that, hmmm? We don't convert anybody. We do not make them lose faith, Atheists reach their conclusions by doing the research and making up their minds, which is something that religions NEVER want you to do. I do exist, this is not a random computer just spitting out words. I had a very stable childhood. Atheists question things, a sure sign of intellect. While I do not have a college degree, I do have 21 years in the US military, and if you don't think THAT is an education, grow a pair of balls and put on a uniform, then talk to me. I think you need to look at the royal French family and see just WHY they were beheaded. There have been much worse things carried out that the French Revolution. It is true that we cannot explain the origin of the universe, but we are looking and researching. Just because we don't have an answer YET does not mean there has to be a "god", your logic is severly flawed there. Please correlate evolution and morality. You are comparing apples to automobiles. The bible is not always right, the events in Gen 1 are out of order. It's flawed from the start. Just because a book says it's true does not make it so. The Scandinavian countries are at the top of the list when it comes to happeist contries on Earth, so try again there. We won't go to "hell" because there is no such place. And while you're "happy to see us burn" while dancing for joy on streets made of gold, whatever happened to "love thy neighbor"? Sounds pretty hypocritical to most. Yep, typical X-tian, bigoted, narrow-minded, and unable to accept the world around him.

May 8, 2012 at 1:41 am |
    • zandHcats

Sounds like a medieval monk living in 21st century!

May 8, 2012 at 1:49 am |
    • tom

Poe's law ? Many of those are just down rite silly.

May 8, 2012 at 3:03 am |
    • tom

All the crazy fire and brimstone stuff at the end it is totally a Poe's law situation.

May 8, 2012 at 3:06 am |
    • Cardiac50

No reason to even bother.. this clown (and others with various usernames) posts the same exact thing anytime religion is mentioned in any context.. like many of his ilk.. he's really not capable of independent thought.. I suspect it's all cut and pasted from some fundie website.. I'm sure they have the injunction to take the message and "go forth and multiply" on as many sites as possible. 🙂

May 8, 2012 at 3:09 am |
    • Ripedia

Please stop. Now. Hateful, ignorant people like you have been giving Christians like me a bad name for too long. While I agree that atheism is a religion, it is not the embodiment of evil and satanism that you make it out to be. Like with all religions, some of its adherents are tolerable, while others (especially d-bags like Richard Dawkins) aren't. How about instead of using the outdated fire and brimstone BS, you try to encourage faith in the faithless through the kindness that is expected of all Christians?

May 8, 2012 at 3:49 am |
    • sam stone

how is atheism a religion?

May 8, 2012 at 4:08 am |
    • Mirosal

Atheism is a religion like NOT collecting stamps is a hobby. Like bald is a hair color... or as Bill Maher put it so beautifully ... Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a se'x position.

May 8, 2012 at 4:20 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

I love how atheists are afraid to admit that their religion is in FACT a religion. So much so that they become violently aggressive in defending their religion at every chance they get.

May 8, 2012 at 4:33 am |
    • Mirosal

Mark .... look up the words "religion" and "Atheism" in any dictionary. Then tell us exactly HOW Atheism falls into the category of "religion". If you need help with any words longer than two syllables, wake up mommy or the new "uncle" she brought home last night and have them help you.

May 8, 2012 at 4:47 am |

Sure thing "Mirosal."

a·the·ism
      noun
      the doctrine or belief that there is no God.

re·li·gion
      noun
      the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs

cult
      noun
      a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.

Hmmmmmm. Looks like atheism is actually a little closer to a cult, but still adheres to the doctrine of disbelief. Therefore, atheism is in fact a religion. Any more questions? Didn't think so.

May 8, 2012 at 5:12 am |
    • Mirosal

You left out the rest of the definition for "religion". Amazing .. not only do you cherry-pick your buybull, you do the same to the dictionary. Go ahead, keep reading the "religion" definition. Also, Atheism is NOT a set of beliefs. A set indicates a plural. And, there is NO doctrine for Atheism. So, what else does your dictionary say about religion?

May 8, 2012 at 5:18 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

Atheism IS a doctrine. It's in the dictionary. Don't like it? Too bad. Atheism is a religion. There's nothing you can say or do that will change this fact. Deal with it.

May 8, 2012 at 5:40 am |
    • Mirosal

ok .. my beliefs ... you're an idiot ... you know not the world around you. There .. there's my set of beliefs. What doctrine do Atheists have? How is NOT having a belief in any "god" a religion? And how is NOT having a belief a doctrine of any knid? So what else did the dictionary say about 'religion'? .. keep reading

May 8, 2012 at 5:46 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

Atheism is a religion. That's all you need to know. I know it hurts your little feelers, but it's not my fault.

May 8, 2012 at 5:52 am |
    • Jeanine by proxy

ITT: Racists having meltdowns. Film at 11.

May 8, 2012 at 6:15 am |
    • WASP

@wwjad/atheism/prayer/ you're just a garbage troll: nice to see your god loves how hateful your heart is. he must be so proud of this example you show of his love. lmfao. you have now judged and condemned all atheists to hell, which didn't god command NOT to do that? let's not even get into the whole loving thy neighbor thing, which you have failed at. so let's say you are correct in that god exsists, i will save a seat for you beside me in hell............however, if he is a loving and just god i think he would understand my sceptism about him and forgive me due to the fact i do care for my neighbors and treat everyone as humans. because being human dictates that everyone deserves some level of respect for being my fellow man/woman.

May 8, 2012 at 6:17 am |
    • Mirosal

Mark .. I'm going to need a little bit more. I do not take things at face value from buybull thu-m-pers like you. So, what else did the dictionary say about religion? C'mon .. tell us the ENTIRE wording.

May 8, 2012 at 6:21 am |
    • atheist fred

So by your logic Mark, any belief is a religion. That means you cannot truly be a Christian because you are part of an infinite number of other religions based on everything you believe. For example, you don’t believe in Santa, so that makes you part of whatever religion you want to call that. Do you see how stupid your way of thinking is Mark? You can call it a religion til the cows come home , but it won’t make it so. Don’t like it? Too bad. Atheism is NOT a religion. There’s nothing you can say or do that will change this fact. Deal with it.

May 8, 2012 at 6:28 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

If atheism wasn't a religion, then they wouldn't be building a temple.

You lose.

The end.

May 8, 2012 at 6:30 am |
    • Jeanine

LOL This is great stuff! LOL

May 8, 2012 at 6:51 am |
    • atheist fred

Mark

The link you provide is the idea of 1 atheist, and I would dare say that the vast majority of atheists agree with Dawkins on this. “The money is being misspent and that a temple of atheism was a contradiction in terms”, and “Atheists don't need temples, I think there are better things to spend this kind of money on. If you are going to spend money on atheism you could improve secular education and build non-religious schools which teach rational, skeptical critical thinking." There are crazies amongst all groups, atheists included.

May 8, 2012 at 7:12 am |
    • Lolno

Let's look at your claims one by one.

Atheism is a religion that makes you stupid, ignorant & blind." – To your view perhaps. However, multiple studies have shown that Atheists actually know more about religion than most religious people.
      † Atheism is a disease that needs to be treated." – Uh, no no thank you. Unless if you have a bunch of studies backing this up I call shenanigans
      † Atheism makes you post stupid things (90% of silly comments here on CNN blogs are posted by closet Atheists)"
      > Interestingly enough I see more cut and paste religious posts about god.
      † Atheist are satanic and have gothic lifestyle.
      >How can someone who doesn't believe in god or any higher being believe in a higher being? That is a non-sequitor of the worst degree. Further, I am trying to imagine most doctors (You know, the ones who treat you when you are sick) showing up in bondage gear and the likes. Yeah, this comment has no factual basis.
      † Atheists causes problem in our religious society.> This isn't a religious society. NEXT
      † Atheists are mentally ill, that's why they have no faith.> You will find that aside from the anomalously higher depression rate (but just barely above the baseline error bars) there are very few incidents of mental illness.
      † Atheism won't take you to kingdom of heaven and paradise. > Of course not. Atheists don't believe in that. They believe in the now. NEXT.

>No, no no it doesn't this guilt by association is horridly flawed and you will notice that the obvious flaws are why nobody uses it.
      † No traditional family lifestyle, no holidays, no culture, boring and feeling 'outsider' Except for the ones who celebrate holidays in a secular fashion. Except for the atheist culture that gave rise to the United States.
      † Atheists are angry, drug additcted and committ the most crime. Actually, statistics done by the department of corrections as well as multiple religious groups have found that only .02% of ALL people in prisons and jails are atheists.
      No. We just point out the obvious flaws in your argument then when confronted in person make excellent arguments.
      No, I really do not believe in your concept of god. I don't believe in a supernatural at all. I understand conscious but do not feel it to be supernatural. And I can bet 100% of all atheists agree.
      Yeah, I got a loving mother, almost decent father, Loving sister, a wife, 2 kids and have had an amazing life experience involving visits to many places around the world. Sorry no factual basis for your claim.
      † Most Atheists are uneducated... No Atheists could run for presidency.>
      Except for all those pesky atheists with doctorates and those pesky studies showing that more atheists have college degrees than religious people.
      Yeah....no.
      † Atheism cannot explain the origins of the universe, therefore God exists.
      Classic non-sequitor.
      Morality is subjective, so this comment is irrelevent.
      † The Bible says atheism is wrong, and the Bible is always right

Except for the many times in history and in fact where flaws have been found and multiple saints and priests over the years have debated those events.

May 8, 2012 at 8:06 am |
    • YeahRight

Atheism is a religion that makes you stupid, ignorant & blind. -LIE
      Atheism is a disease that needs to be treated. -LIE
      Atheism makes you post stupid things (90% of silly comments here on CNN blogs are posted by closet Atheists) -LIE
      Atheist are satanic and have gothic lifestyle. -LIE
      Atheists causes problem in our religious society. -LIE
      Atheists are mentally ill, that's why they have no faith. -LIE
      Atheism won't take you to kingdom of heaven and paradise. -LIE
      Atheism making you agree with Stalin, Hitler (Denied his faith later), Mao, Pol Pot & other terrible mass murder leaders. -LIE
      No traditional family lifestyle, no holidays, no culture, boring and feeling 'outsider' -LIE
      Atheists are angry, drug additcted and committ the most crime. -LIE
      Atheist try to convert people over internet because they feel "safer" behind closet. -LIE
      Atheists do not really exist, they just pretend that they don't believe in God and argue with religious people. -LIE
      Atheists have had terrible life experience, bad childhood and not being loved. -LIE
      Most Atheists are uneducated... No Atheists could run for presidency. -LIE
      Atheism brought upon the French Revolution, one of the most evil events of all of history. -LIE
      Atheism cannot explain the origins of the universe, therefore God exists. -LIE
      All atheists believe in evolution, which means they don't believe in morality and think we should all act like animals. -LIE
      The Bible says atheism is wrong, and the Bible is always right (see: Genesis 1:1, Psalms 14:1, Psalms 19:1, Romans 1:19-20) -LIE
      Countries where Atheism is prevalent has the highest Suicide rate & Communist countries = Atheism! -LIE

It just goes to show that Christians can’t even follow one of the basic Ten Commandments by posting all these lies. What a hypocrite

May 8, 2012 at 10:46 am |
  8. Mark from Middle River

The church of the Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has been in league with the Vatican for three decades and has been responsible for the AIDs epidemic that has plagued the world recently. Before the Vatican became involved, Michael Jackson was targeted by the Mormon church and is known to be responsible for his skin color change. People close to Mr. Jackson who were known members of the church were poisoning his food with skin bleaching products that were later responsible for his demise. The Vatican and the Mormon church murdered Freddie Mercury with AIDs. They have been targeting gays and blacks in order to cleanse the human gene pool of all liberalism. They are in bed with the world government illuminati and this is the reason why Bohemian Grove exists. http://www.infowars.com/bg1.html Information has recently been unearthed that proves that the Masonic faith was founded by the Catholics and later incorporated the Mormon church.

There is a wealth of information on the subject here:

May 8, 2012 at 1:30 am |
    • Mark

You seriously need to be medicated – soon.

May 8, 2012 at 1:50 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

Mark, you can shut the hell up. You have no idea what you're talking about.

May 8, 2012 at 4:21 am |
    • Jeanine by proxy

....said the racist having a meltdown......

May 8, 2012 at 6:16 am |
  9. Mark from Middle River

I really wish they'd ban gays from this country. These trashy people don't belong here.

May 8, 2012 at 1:29 am |
    • GodPot

I'm glad you think you know who "belongs" in a supposed free country. The only thing that doesn't belong is the bigoted hate and racism that still seems to plague much of our country.

May 8, 2012 at 2:58 am |
    • sam stone

And leave it to bigots like you, Marky-Mark?

May 8, 2012 at 4:09 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

You idiots are no doubt big fans of Biden's gay agenda. It doesn't surprise me.

May 8, 2012 at 4:22 am |
    • Joxer the Mighty

@Mark from Middle River You both disgust me and make me pity you. You are no different than the self righteous pigs called the Pharisees and teachers of the law that Jesus put in their place. If a person chooses to act on their gay impulses, that is between them, their partner and God. You don't have the right to judge them as I'm sure you have committed many many sins.

May 8, 2012 at 5:38 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

Oh well, Joxer. Be angry all you'd like.

May 8, 2012 at 5:53 am |
  10. Mario

I think it's fantastic that Biden supports Marriage Equality. I hope the Obama administration legalizes Marriage Equality during Obama's second term as President.

May 8, 2012 at 1:12 am |
    • Jacques Strappe, World Famous French Ball Juggler

I could be wrong but I believe that it has to be at the state level, not the federal level.

May 8, 2012 at 8:44 am |
  11. Keith

Why not let them get married, they should suffer like the rest of us. 😉

May 8, 2012 at 12:22 am |
    • Voice of Reason

Ha!

May 8, 2012 at 12:23 am |
    • Cq

Well, if gay $ex is what's bothering the religious folks there's nothing like marriage to put an end to that. 🙂

May 8, 2012 at 12:29 am |
    • Harry Hippobottomus

Just don't ban divorce until mine finalizes.

May 8, 2012 at 12:59 am |
    • GodPot

So are Christians against gay divorce?

May 8, 2012 at 1:27 am |
    • zandHcats

Or enjoy the happy marriage like most of us!

May 8, 2012 at 1:46 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

They can never be married in God's eyes in the first place.

May 8, 2012 at 4:23 am |
    • Jeanine by proxy

...because God's eyes are filled with shiit....and it costs too much to clean them out....oh how funny!....

May 8, 2012 at 6:18 am |
    • Mirosal

Mark .. if a couple gets married in a court house without ANY church's involvement whatsoever, is it a valid marriage? Yes or no.

May 8, 2012 at 6:25 am |

Nope.

May 8, 2012 at 6:32 am |
    • Mirosal

Then you have just condemned billions of people on this planet. Civil law says they ARE married. Do you think ONLY marriages are valid if performed in a church? And if so, just WHICH church makes it valid?

May 8, 2012 at 6:38 am |
    • Slickfurbox

WHOA WHOA WHOA!!!! Are you goddamn serious?!?!?!

Billions?!?!?!?!

Please back your numbers with some factual information. We'll all be waiting with fuckin bells on for this chewy little nugget of information.

May 8, 2012 at 6:44 am |
    • Mirosal

1 billion in China alone. Not really a religious state is it? Start adding up all marriages in the U.S. and Canada that are done by judges and Justices of the Peace. The Russian Orthodox Church is making a comeback, but almost all marriages before 1991 weren't done in any church there. There you go .. billions. I'd like to know WHAT church you need to make a marriage valid .. c'mon marky-mark .. tell us

May 8, 2012 at 6:51 am |
    • Slickfurbox

The population of China is over 1 billion. Are you telling me they are all married? The population of the United States is over 300 million. Are you telling me that they are all married too?

Oh, this is funny. You aren't providing any numbers, and my balls are finding great deals of humorings in your "statistics." By the way genius jackass, I'm not marky-mark. Please get that through your head before making up more statistics. Now, please kindly show me where BILLIONS of people have been married in courts. A little FYI for you – I really don't give a shit, I'm just making you hang yourself here because it's quite obvious you're pulling information out of your ass just like the fundies like to do.

May 8, 2012 at 7:16 am |
    • WASP

@Slickfurbox
      in all truth keith is correct. in america alone every single marriage is done by the state. NO MARRIAGE is REAL until the state notarizes it. the church has NO jurisdiction over marriage. you can have the ceremony in any kind of establishment you wish, the marriage isn't legal until the STATE sends you your marriage certificate. it's the whole seperation church and state, so yeah billions.

May 8, 2012 at 8:23 am |
  12. be

So let's examine what the "gay agenda" is these days: (1) They support marriage so that they can live in legally recognized monogamous relationships. (2) They want the right to raise their children in peace – both adopted and natural – without fear of discrimination, and (3) They want to have the right and honor to serve (and even die for) their country through military service. Shoot....they are more wholesome, moral, and honorable than our Grandparents!

May 8, 2012 at 12:17 am |
    • mike

You sound really gay. Shut up.

May 8, 2012 at 12:24 am |
    • be

Interestingly enough, I happen to be straight......but thank you.....I would certainly take it as a compliment that I sound "gay"
      since most gays tend to be pretty cool people.

May 8, 2012 at 12:28 am |
    • be

Oh, but Mike.....you sound fundamentalist Christian.....and most people would like you to shut up.

May 8, 2012 at 12:30 am |
    • mike

CNN really is the super – gay network. Must be the Atlanta effect. Need to snap out of that. Don't let the browneyes set an ugly, degenerate agenda.

May 8, 2012 at 12:35 am |
    • Ozymandias71

mike, if CNN is the 'super-Gay network' then what are you doing here? Certainly you bring nothing useful to the discussion.

May 8, 2012 at 12:39 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

Raise "their" children? Let's be clear. Gays cannot have children. Why? It's simple anatomy. Men cannot produce offspring with other men, and the same goes for women. Therefore, they do not and cannot have any children. It should also be noted that their kind should never be allowed to raise ANY children in any case. They are immoral and cannot teach moral values to children. Do any of you agenda-supporting people care to explain to your children why Bob was deep penetrating Steve's butt hole? Go ahead and talk that one up to your kids and tell them it's "natural." Sure.

May 8, 2012 at 4:28 am |
    • Jeanine by proxy

Oh, no, we haven't "fooled" you, nossir! Oh you are sooo right. Yes, just sit down over here and the nurse will be with you shortly with some nice colorful pills for you!

And stop chewing on those paint flakes! You KNOW the doctor told you how that was bad! Remember?

May 8, 2012 at 6:24 am |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

"Atheists are such cowards it makes me sick. None of you support anything at all"

Gee Mark, is it possible for you to get your facts straight ever? We support a lot of things, equal rights for everyone regardless of belief/disbelief is just part of it. Are you able to say the same?

May 8, 2012 at 7:23 am |
    • WASP

@mark:"Mark from Middle River
      Or maybe you're just too afraid to admit it's wrong because of the giant gay movement being forced down your throats. Just take it. Take it all. Don't fight back because you don't have any backbone, or any of your own morals. Atheists are such cowards it makes me sick. None of you support anything at all. Instead, you just take it hard from everyone and pretend like you support it so people don't see you for the weaklings you are. You haven't fooled this guy."

mark they can have their own children in a manner of speeking, i know a few that have children either from a previous relationship or they find a surro.gate to have the child for them. i don't remember ever seeing a same gender couple on the news for any vio.lent action toward their children; but i know first hand.....and i mean first hand the abuse from christian guardians. don't believe me just check the news it's this parent did that to this child or that couple star.ved to death that child....and oh here is the church they attend standing up for them as being "good parents, just misguided". give me a break!

what is immoral is the fact that in the year 2012 after all the fighting women, native americans, hispanics, africans, etc etc etc had to do to get sortakinda equal rights with white males.....we still have a group of people that are deemed lower on the social acceptance ladder just because they are different.

answer to the statement of explaining inter.course to children, yes you have to do it anyhow might as well thourghly explain all areas that encompas.ses. it's incorrect to hide anything from children because what they don't know can hurt them.
      so we make you sick because you think atheists are cowards? hmmmmm on this comment i'm not going to be polite. you can go ______ yourself! i served 8 years in the army because I BELIEVE in america. I BELIEVE in pro-choice for females because I BELIEVE they have a right to choose for themselves when they want to have children. I BELIEVE in government healthcare because i know for a fact after 8 years in the army, they do a really good job taking care of the soldiers, why couldn't it work for the american population. I BELIEVE in equal rights for all humans regardless of race, creed, age, gender, or religious preference. I BELIEVE in the humain treatment of animals, the reason i donate to the ASPCA. I BELIEVE in contreceptives to help prevent unwanted pregnancy. so the next time you call someone scared and no backbone, before you claim a group stands for nothing make certain a member of the united states military doesn't happen to be in that grouping you so quaintly generalized all of us into. i stand for something, i stand for the dream this country was founded on.......WHAT DO YOU STAND FOR? EQUAL RIGHTS OR OPP.RES.SION OF THOSE RIGHTS? because from where i stand you are attempting to oppr.ess the rights of one group to suit your own ideals.......hmmmm makes you think.

May 8, 2012 at 8:12 am |
    • Like a G9

You can lead a racist to be a hater but you can't make them think.

May 8, 2012 at 8:21 am |
    • YeahRight

"It should also be noted that their kind should never be allowed to raise ANY children in any case. They are immoral and cannot teach moral values to children."

There are hundred of thousands of experts that have proven you WRONG. Social science has shown that the concerns often raised about children of lesbian and gay parents—concerns that are generally grounded in prejudice against and stereotypes about gay people—are unfounded. Overall, the research indicates that the children of lesbian and gay parents do not differ from the children of heterosexual parents in their development, adjustment, or overall well-being.

May 8, 2012 at 10:51 am |
  13. Heather

@ Voice of Reason
    There is no proof of the existence or marriage of Adam and Eve, only faith. Those who want to believe do so and those who don't can walk away from such teachings. But, you may one day find yourself in an afterlife wishing you had exercised a little of that faith when you were alive and wishing you had lived on something other than proof. Just saying.

May 7, 2012 at 11:56 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

More of Pascal's Wager. Don't you people ever have any original material?

May 7, 2012 at 11:57 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

Can you give me a reasonable answer that might sound plausible for anything resembling an afterlife and just what that may be?

May 7, 2012 at 11:59 pm |
    • Drew

Im gonna have to agree with Voice of Reason here Heather, I can't imagine that we would still be conscious enough in the afterlife to wish anything, if there is one

May 8, 2012 at 12:02 am |
    • Shadow

Since humans existed at least 200,000 years before biblical timelines, I'm pretty sure the idea of "marriage" pre-dates Adam and Eve time.

May 8, 2012 at 12:02 am |
    • Cq

Heather
      With an att.itude like that don't expect to be reincarnated into a higher state in your next lifetime. 🙂

May 8, 2012 at 12:06 am |
    • be

It appears to me that we could learn a lot from gay marriage, like: (1) Marriage should be more about what is in your heart than what is between your legs, and (2) Creating a family is more about uniting people in a nurturing, loving household than about uniting a sperm with an egg. Shame on those who reduce marriage to one's anatomy......I think they are the ones that are going to have some explaining to do on judgement day.

May 8, 2012 at 12:06 am |
    • tallulah13

I do not desire heaven nor fear hell. There is no practical reason to believe that there is ANYTHING after the body dies. I don't know why that thought scares you, or why you think that you are so special that you somehow deserve to live forever in paradise, just because you pledge allegiance to a god for whom there is no evidence, and obey the rules you like from a list compiled in the bronze age.

Embrace this life. Understand that this world is precious. Try to make it a better place. Try to be a good person without the the expectation of reward.

May 8, 2012 at 12:06 am |
    • Cq

Heather
      Who did Adam and Eve's boys marry?

May 8, 2012 at 12:20 am |
    • Ozymandias71

None of that drivel means a thing in a multicultural society like the United States. Let's remember, we're talking about an Amendment that does NOTHING to protect marriage – it only targets Gays and Lesbians, and unmarried couples. No additional benefit for 'traditional marriages', no restrictions on divorce.

May 8, 2012 at 12:32 am |
    • GodPot

"Who did Adam and Eve's boys marry?" They likely had a few dates with their hairier cousins that lived up the valley, the neanderthals, but eventually came back, a bit bruised and broken to settle for their sisters...Appalachia here we come!! Yee Haw!!

May 8, 2012 at 1:26 am |
    • Mark

Christianity is not that old, or more to the point as suggested, human history is much longer; so any custom we might have was merely co-oped and modified to suit Christianity. For example the crime of murder was well known as law since the Roman Empire. that is not to put down anyone's faith – but original it is not

May 8, 2012 at 1:56 am |
    • sam stone

Heather: Your empty proxy warnings are laughable. Spend a lot of time on your knees, do you?

May 8, 2012 at 4:13 am |
  14. Voice of Reason

@Heather

Should I assume you are a christian?

May 7, 2012 at 11:56 pm |
    • Heather

Why would you care?
      If I said yes you'd be ready to start harassment.
      If I said no you'd press until you found out my beliefs, then you'd harass.
      Unless of course, I believed in nothing like you.
      Maybe I was simply stating the facts regarding Christian and Jewish beliefs because I'm a well-informed person and find religion fascinating.
      How will you ever know?

May 8, 2012 at 12:03 am |
    • Shadow

We don't believe in nothing. We lack belief that a story in a 2000 year old book is reality. We believe in science, because it can be proven with credible, verifiable evidence that can be reproduced repeatedly by people all around the world.

May 8, 2012 at 12:06 am |
    • tallulah13

Heather, your reference to Pascal's Wager certainly makes you look as though you are a christian. If you believe something, own it. I certainly get hara.ssed for being an atheist, but would never hesitate to say that I do not believe in god. (There is a person on these boards who sometimes steals my name to claim that I am a muslim, to create confusion, I guess, but that person is not me)

May 8, 2012 at 12:11 am |
    • Voice of Reason

@Heather

The only time I would speak negatively to you or in a harsh or disrespectful manner would be me mirroring you. I do not want to alienate you from conversation, I would like to draw you into it. But, unfortunately, with beliefs such as yours there comes a point where you cannot or will not continue because of what you believe. In order to have a productive conversation or debate, both parties must have open minds.

May 8, 2012 at 12:19 am |
    • Mark

@Heather I have not seen anything yet from VOR to suggest harassment – unless you take not believing in which case I could not support that. And to suggest we believe in nothing is insulting. I'm agnostic, yes there MIGHT be some form of overarching power – maybe – but the bible to me is just a book – remarkable yes – but a book nonetheless .

But I would never tell you not to believe in it.

May 8, 2012 at 1:59 am |
  15. god is a dog

religion is a farce
    the pope is a former n a z i loving child m o l e s t o r
    ban all religions now

May 7, 2012 at 11:53 pm |
  16. god is a dog

religion is a farce
    the pope is a former nazi loving child molestor
    ban all religions now

May 7, 2012 at 11:53 pm |
  17. be

People used to use the Bible as an excuse to ban inter-racial marriages. They used to use the Bible to justify women not having the vote. Christians look back and can't imagine how foolish people could be to use the Bible to condone such bigotry. The same will be true of Gay Marriage one day as well. Obviously, for most Catholics, that day is already here. Good for the rank and file Catholics. It only took their hierarchy a few hundred years to catch up on the whole Galileo fiasco. It appears as though the Protestants may even lag behind the Catholics in their foolishness over this particular prejudice.

May 7, 2012 at 11:52 pm |
    • Drew

I was also happy to read how progressive American Catholics are

May 7, 2012 at 11:53 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

So there is hope that people can accept change?

May 7, 2012 at 11:54 pm |
    • be

Yeah....it almosts makes me want to convert to Catholicism........but I think the Episcopalians are even a bit ahead of the Catholics on this one......even their hierarchy is coming around.

May 7, 2012 at 11:58 pm |
  18. Voice of Reason

You would think blacks would have a real good sense of what the issue is at hand is but its apparent that good old religion is providing them with whips.

May 7, 2012 at 11:44 pm |
    • Drew

I agree that it's unfortunate that so many blacks can't recognize blatant discrimination when they see it, but what are you gonna do? They'll get used to it like everyone else once it is legalized

May 7, 2012 at 11:46 pm |
    • Cq

The Irish were like that too. They fought against discrimination for years, but when they became established they were amongst the strongest in opposition to "the yellow peril" of Asian emigration.

May 7, 2012 at 11:52 pm |
    • Marian

I am African-American myself and am saddened by the hatred I see geared towards gay people. I'm not religious, nor am I gay. I just believe gay people should have the same rights as the rest of us.

What I am very curious about though is whether the African-American community would still back President Obama if he comes out in favor of gay marriage? Joe Biden's comments yesterday might force the President to pick a position on the issue. So, if he comes out and says he supports full marriage equality for gay people, will African-Americans show up to vote for him in November? Of course, I will, but I wonder. . .

May 7, 2012 at 11:58 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

@Marian

My thoughts exactly with Obama. It seems like his back's against the wall on this one. If he balks, shame on him.

May 8, 2012 at 12:06 am |
    • Drew

My guess is that he'll just try to avoid talking about it, which might work out fine. Im sure Romney wont want to talk about it either

May 8, 2012 at 12:08 am |
    • Will S

Catholics (and I suspect most Jews) interpret Adam and Eve (and much of Genesis) as an allegory, not as a historical fact. Catholics also believe in the Big Bang, evolution, climate change, and quantum mechanics. The point of the Bible is to reveal spiritual truths, not to explain early human prehistory/history or scientific laws. Archbishop Ussher of 4004 B.C. = Earth's creation fame was Protestant.

May 8, 2012 at 1:05 am |
  19. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Odd that camp hasn't resurfaced since I proposed the possibility he was Mark the Piddler. And that Uncouth Swain hasn't bragged about his outing under another sock puppet.

Embarrassed, are you, dears?

May 7, 2012 at 11:27 pm |
  20. Drew

I have an idea; how about the government stop using the term "marriage" in an official capacity entirely? The legal relationship between a couple will be "civil union," whether the couple is gay or straight. If people want a marriage they can go to a church of whatever denomination they please, and that church can decide who it will or wont marry.

As long as marriage is a legal arrangement, it is blatantly discriminatory to deny it to gays

May 7, 2012 at 11:26 pm |
    • Heather

You're probably right. Marriage belonged to the church before it belonged to the government.

May 7, 2012 at 11:27 pm |
    • Drew

Exactly, it is a religious term. That said, I guarantee you that plenty of church's would be willing to marry gay couples.

May 7, 2012 at 11:29 pm |
    • Heather

Not churches who follow the bible.

May 7, 2012 at 11:31 pm |
    • Drew

Everybody interprets the bible differently, just like any other book.

May 7, 2012 at 11:31 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Marriage did NOT belong to the church before it was a legal contract.

May 7, 2012 at 11:34 pm |
    • Drew

Where does marriage originate from? I honestly don't know

May 7, 2012 at 11:36 pm |
    • tallulah13

Marriage has it's roots as far back as the Sumerians. It is much older than the christian church.

May 7, 2012 at 11:38 pm |
    • Heather

May 7, 2012 at 11:39 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Marriage originated as a legal contract between people within a group as a means of making a woman the property of a man and ensuring that any children she had were his progeny. It had NOTHING to do with God or religion.

May 7, 2012 at 11:39 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Prove it, Heather.

May 7, 2012 at 11:40 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

@Heather
      "Christian teaching: Adam and Eve...the first marriage, before government even existed."

Bring it on girlfriend! Prove it or shut the f up.

May 7, 2012 at 11:45 pm |
    • Harry Hippobottomus

It would have emerged back in hunter-gatherer societies as a means of raising children, and of taking care of elderly people (so that the old women did not suffer privation after child-raising was through). The tribe leader or shaman would have made themselves responsible for it.

Marriage was a social custom that religion usurped. Marriage came into being first, out of pragmatic necessities. Religion's tie came later, and it would have been animist, not anything like Christianity.

May 7, 2012 at 11:45 pm |
    • tallulah13

Adam and Eve is hebrew mythology, thus the story is only 3000-4000 year old. Again, the Sumerians had codified the laws of marriage in about 4000 b.c. - predating judaism by 2000 years or so.

May 7, 2012 at 11:45 pm |
    • Heather

@ Tom, Tom
      Prove what? a Judeo/Christian belief? Look it up yourself in Genesis chapter 1. Good grief!

May 7, 2012 at 11:46 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Well, THERE YOU HAVE IT. It's a belief, not a fact, honey. Thanks for proving my point.

May 7, 2012 at 11:47 pm |
    • Heather

It's like the chicken and the egg...which came first?
      Christians and Jews people believe God created human life beginning with Adam and Eve, the beginning of marriage. It is a belief, a faith, a religion. Non-religious people can make fun of it but it doesn't change the belief.

May 7, 2012 at 11:49 pm |
    • Ozymandias71

Instead of truly 'redefining' marriage for everyone, why don't we just leave it as it is – a couple (gay or straight) can go to the County courthouse and get a marriage license. They never need to step foot into a church – never need to ask permission from a Church in order to marry.

May 7, 2012 at 11:49 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

No, it isn't like the chicken and the egg, dearie. You can only cite 'belief'. Fact is another matter entirely.

May 7, 2012 at 11:51 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

@Heather

So, you admit there is no proof of Adam and Eve, correct?

May 7, 2012 at 11:52 pm |
    • Heather

There is no absolute proof in this matter. Christians and Jews claim Bible truth that Adam and Eve began marriage, before government. Someone who doesn't believe in the Bible will claim some tomb inscription in Egypt as proof of the origins of ancient marriage, etc. Someone else will claim ancient Chinese writings as their proof for the first example of marriage. Who's to say?

May 7, 2012 at 11:54 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What people believe is irrelevant where law is concerned. That is the crux of the matter. No one cares what religious beliefs you hold if your beliefs deprive others of the rights you enjoy. Your beliefs do NOT give you the right to deny benefits that you have to others.

May 7, 2012 at 11:54 pm |
    • Cq

You're still discriminating by wanting to keep the term "marriage" to yourselves. People, even gay people, want to be married; they don't want to be "civilly unified."

May 8, 2012 at 12:00 am |
    • preacherman

Heather, it's not like the chicken or the egg. Marriage exists and existed in a number of forms long before Christianity ever came into being, and it continues to exist in non-Christian cultures throughout the world.

And just cause you asked: the answer is the egg. Ovipary can be traced back over 100 million years ago in the fossil record. The chicken was first domesticated from the red jungle fowl in China about 6,000 years ago. So, just like your question of marriage and Christianity, it's not even close.

May 8, 2012 at 12:02 am |
    • preacherman

@Heather: Who's to say? People who base their conclusions on valid evidence.

Every opinion does not carry equal weight. The legitimate ones are supported by evidence from the actual world.

May 8, 2012 at 12:05 am |
    • Cq

Heather
      According to the Bible there were penalties for wives cheating on their husbands, and penalties for the guys they cheated with, but no penalties for husbands cheating. Was that definition of "marriage" fair?

May 8, 2012 at 12:16 am |
    • TXNBob

Finally someone else thinks like I do.
      If I have to have authorization from the state to sign a marriage license while acting in the capacity of clery, then I believe, marriage has become religous sanction from the state.
      Let the word "marriage" be religous
      Let the words "civil union" be the state sanctioned form.
      There are many countries that think like this and it has worked for many centuries.
      Let's try that.

May 8, 2012 at 12:24 am |
    • Mark

Whatever our opinion, Tom Tom makes the right distinction that the only thing that really matters is what the LAW says; There really is no conflict here. A government is well within its rights to define a "Marriage" as a legal, civil construct. And any given Church is equally free to not marry a Gay couple.

Where i have a problem is a Church telling everyone else what they can and can't do. If you wanted to get married and your gay and your church says no – its a problem for you and your church. Not the rest of us.

May 8, 2012 at 2:09 am |
    • sam stone

heather: without government, the church wedding has no legal standing

May 8, 2012 at 4:17 am |