home
RSS
Obama's gay marriage support riles religious conservatives, but political effects not yet clear
President Barack Obama addressing a gay rights group in 2011.
May 9th, 2012

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) – U.S. President Barack Obama’s endorsement of gay marriage on Wednesday outraged conservative Christian leaders, who vowed to use it as an organizing tool in the 2012 elections, but the move is also activating the liberal base, raising big questions about who gains and loses politically.

“It cuts both ways - it activates both Democratic and Republican base voters,” said John Green, an expert on religion and politics at the University of Akron. “The most likely effect is that it makes an already close election even closer.”

In an interview with ABC News, Obama said, "At a certain point I've just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married."

The announcement puts Obama at odds with presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney, who opposes same-sex marriage and who voiced that opposition in an interview on Wednesday.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

"Considering that 10 of the 16 battleground states have marriage amendments that could be overturned by the president's new policy position on marriage, today's announcement almost ensures that marriage will again be a major issue in the presidential election,” said Tony Perkins, president of the the conservative Family Research Council.

“The president has provided a clear contrast between him and his challenger, Mitt Romney," Perkins continued. "Romney, who has signed a pledge to support a marriage protection amendment to the U.S. Constitution, may have been handed the key to social conservative support by President Obama."

Obama stressed in the interview that his support was personal and that he would leave the issue of marriage to the states. But many conservatives chafed at the idea that the president's personal views would not affect public policy.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

Cardinal Timothy Dolan of New York, the president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, released a statement saying the president's comments were "deeply saddening." Dolan's statement continued, "I pray for the President every day, and will continue to pray that he and his Administration act justly to uphold and protect marriage as the union of one man and one woman."

Bishop Harry Jackson, the senior pastor of Hope Christian Church outside of Washington, DC, said that "I think the president has been in this place for awhile and that he chose this time because he thought that it might shift the balance of power." Jackson has long campaigned against same-sex marriage.

Ralph Reed, a top organizer among religious conservatives, said Obama’s announcement was a “gift to the Romney campaign.”

Romney, a Mormon who has evolved to a more conservative position on hot button social issues, has struggled with his party's largely evangelical conservative base in the primaries. But Reed said Obama’s gay marriage support would help Romney in many battleground states.

“The Obama campaign doesn’t have to worry about New York and California,” Reed said. “They have to worry about Ohio, Florida and Virginia and I don’t’ see evidence that it’s a winning issue in those states.”

Green said that public opinion about gay marriage has been shifting dramatically in recent years, with some polls showing more support than opposition. Green said that in many battlegrounds, including Ohio, it's impossible to nail down current public opinion on same-sex marriage. A Gallup Poll conducted this month found that 50% of American adults support legal recognition of same-sex marriage, while 48% oppose it.

Reed noted that same-sex marriage bans have passed in virtually every state they have appeared on the ballot, including in North Carolina on Tuesday. That’s a typically red state that Obama won in 2008 and that is the site of the Democrat's 2012 convention.

Many liberal groups were ecstatic over Obama’s support for gay marriage. “Congratulations, Mr. President, for making history today by becoming the first sitting president to explicitly support marriage for same-sex couples,” said Rea Carey, executive director of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force.

In his interview with ABC, Obama talked about squaring his decision with his personal religious faith.

“We are both practicing Christians and obviously this position may be considered to put us at odds with the views of others,” Obama said, referencing his wife, Michelle.

“But, you know, when we think about our faith, the thing at root that we think about is, not only Christ sacrificing himself on our behalf, but it’s also the Golden Rule,” he said. “Treat others the way you would want to be treated.”

One key Obama constituency that may be angered by his Wednesday announcement is African-Americans, who tend to be more religious than whites. Though they hew heavily Democratic, African-Americans are generally conservative on social issues like gay marriage.

- CNN's Eric Marrapodi, Shannon Travis, and Mary Snow contributed to this report.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: 2012 Election • Barack Obama • Gay marriage

soundoff (2,108 Responses)
  1. JDinHouston

Call it calculated, call it responsible, call it Presidential – I think Obama just gained more votes today than he lost, and in our polarized country, that is all it takes (in case you forgot, look to Bush v. Gore). If you don't understand how to polarize to win, then you never listened to Karl Rove, it is a Republican tactic that unfortunately is now standard politics. Nice legacy, Karl, thanks for that.

May 9, 2012 at 8:16 pm |
  2. AJ

If I go to heaven, won't God treat me well because I treated everyone equally and in kindness?

May 9, 2012 at 8:11 pm |
    • Snow

Doesn't matter that a man lives a righteous life and helps everyone around.. if he does not suck up to god every day on his knees, he goes to hell.. ain't that true justice.. 🙂

May 9, 2012 at 8:24 pm |
  3. AJ

so maybe i'm naive over the love issue, but wouldn't you rather people be happy?

May 9, 2012 at 8:09 pm |
  4. AJ

I just don't get the hate. I was always taught religion is supposed to be about love and helping your fellow man. Not hurt and divide.

Keeping two people apart because they love one another hurts me. Why would you want to divide?

May 9, 2012 at 8:07 pm |
    • Phosphorus

Religion is more precisely about dividing and conquering, segregation and separation, prejudice and injustice. That, my friend, is religion...plain and simple.

May 9, 2012 at 8:15 pm |
  5. christ nazis

The fact that this is even issue just shows that people have way too much time on their hands. Religious whackos just want to make everyone's life miserable.

May 9, 2012 at 8:07 pm |
    • Moi

Those people are just worried that they would be tempted to do the same if gays were allowed to be married.

May 9, 2012 at 8:15 pm |
  6. JDinHouston

So what? I'm a Catholic who will still vote for Obama because he is consistent, has been clearly moving the country in a slow but steady direction, in spite of the Republican opposition, and doesn't flip flop with the wind like Romney. Romney couldn't even protect an employee he hired whom he knew was gay, what kind of boss is that to work for, or to run a country? No backbone? No thanks, I'll take Obama.
    And to other Catholics, there is no longer a "Holy Roman Empire" – we live in America and people have a right to their own lives and we must respect that, I am happy to hear from Rome but I am not their foot soldier to enforce their views on others, make sure you read the 10 Amendments as well as the 10 Commandments.

May 9, 2012 at 8:04 pm |
  7. mtthinker

These religious blowhards could not hate our standing president any more than they already do. I for one am glad to see Mr. Obama stand up for what is right despite the political cost. I wish he would do stand up for all of our civil liberties (you know, that bill of rights thing) with equal conviction.

May 9, 2012 at 8:03 pm |
  8. AJ

When two men or women LOVE one another tell me why it's wrong??!! Please cause I don't understand what the deal is.

May 9, 2012 at 8:02 pm |
  9. AJ

I need a deeply religious person tell me, without invoking the bible, why having two men or two women in a loving relationship disturbs the order of things?!

Seriously. I'm confused why for example you have a gay couple next door who pays their bills, takes care of their house, and are peaceful.

What is wrong with showing that kind of lov

May 9, 2012 at 7:58 pm |
    • Colin

AJ, there are 10 reasons why gay marriage is wrong

01) Gay marriage will encourage straight people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make short people tall.

02) Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.

03) Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.

04) Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed. My parents in Texas ran screaming to the court to get a divorce, the minute they heard that a gay couple married in Vermont.

05) Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.

06) Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets, because gays marrying will alter the fundamental $ex drive of others.

07) Gay marriage is not supported by religion. We really want people who, in the 21st Century, still believe in sky-gods and evil ground-devils, based on 2,000 year old Palestinian mythology, setting social policy.

08) Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That's why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.

09) Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms, just like we haven't adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans.

10) It will lead to social disorder. I constantly hear of large groups of gays protesting against the rights of Christians to marry and committing acts of violence against Christians.

May 9, 2012 at 8:00 pm |
    • AJ

May 9, 2012 at 8:01 pm |
    • AJ

Lol! Thanks, Colin!

May 9, 2012 at 8:05 pm |
    • Shawn Irwin

niloC, you got it backwords, because your ideas are backwards. I'd really like to see where the PROOF is for some of the silly assertations you make. You even go so far as to say "Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites, and divorce is still illegal." What hole have you been hiding in?

May 9, 2012 at 8:13 pm |
    • Snow

Time to change the batteries in the sarcasm meter Shawn.. 🙂

May 9, 2012 at 8:17 pm |
    • Colin

Shawn – seriously? Can you fvcking read, man?

May 9, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
    • Leo

History will once again repeat itself... the Roman Empire... Next the USA

May 9, 2012 at 8:30 pm |
    • PercievedReality

Legitimizing the evil of perversion. Do you understand that? Because it goes against the obvious design of our bodies. I would never, as a child or as an adult want to be exposed to it nor do I think any child should be exposed to it.

May 9, 2012 at 9:01 pm |
    • PercievedReality

//Oh, they love, oh they love. Give me a fri-gg-en break. Ok if its all about love, why does s-e-x need to be involved? Can people love each other with out engaging in s-e-x? If the answer is NO is it really love or something else? And YES I would stay with my wife if we could not have s-e-x, and I would not cheat one her. Does their union bear fruit? Does it seem logical or reasonable to go against your natural design?//

May 9, 2012 at 9:14 pm |
    • AJ

That's not my point. Who are you or who am I to say what is right or wrong? Just because something is perverse to you isn't, for example, to my friends. You say natural order? If God truly created everything, why would he want us to pass judgment?

May 9, 2012 at 9:44 pm |
  10. Ralph Reed Doesn't know Florida

Ralph Reed said Obama's position on Gay Marriage won't help him in Florida??? He must be thinking about deep, blood red North and Central Florida (except for college town Gainesville, FL). This position will push younger voters, urban and suburban voters, who are increasingly tolerant of gay marriage, over to Obama. Evangelical Christians are in a deep conundrum: Support a Liberal Christian, or vote for a Mormon Pseudo Conservative (i.e. Mormoms don't believe in the orthodox doctrine that Jesus is the incarnation of God, or the Trinity – therefore disqualifying them as Christians) Good luck with that one folks.

May 9, 2012 at 7:56 pm |
  11. Tony in STL

It's amazing how the Right injects these bulls#it sidebar discussions around election time. And the left always falls for it! Next up, ...Abortion, ...again! Geez!

May 9, 2012 at 7:56 pm |
    • warmesTghosT

You're right, and it's because we've polarized the political process and most folks identify as "Democrat" or "Republican". It's become completely us against them when in fact it should be us against MOST career politicians and the establishment at large. They're playing us against each other to their own benefit.

I tried to tell a colleague of mine once (who I like and admire and respect and who happens to be "conservative") that we were all on the same team, just that most of us don't realize it. He called me naive.

May 9, 2012 at 8:02 pm |
  12. carol martucci

Get over it. Live and let live. Take a pill. Step off. Grow up. Mind your own business. Ugh.

May 9, 2012 at 7:52 pm |
  13. Colin

Can a Christian please help me? I am having trouble distinguishing the third example of circular reasoning from the first two. Perhaps you can explain the difference.

“I believe Obama is a great man because his biography says so, and the reason I believe his biography is that it is about Obama, who is a great man.”

“I believe David Koresh was a wise and great prophet because the Branch Davidians wrote a book saying he is. I believe that book because it was inspired by David Koresh, a wise and great prophet.”

“I believe in God because it says so in the Bible. I believe the Bible because it is the inspired word of God.”

May 9, 2012 at 7:47 pm |
    • momoya

We can get direct communication from Obama, and we've got Koresh on video.. Nobody can verify that this "god" fellow can communicate or even exists at all.

May 9, 2012 at 7:52 pm |
    • Colin

I think you missed the point, Momoya......

May 9, 2012 at 7:53 pm |
    • Fvck em

Circular reasoning is circular.
      No explaining from Christians, for they do not follow logic.
      Keep religion put of politics or start taxing the fvck out of those who chose to interject their backwards, bigot train of though on the rest of us who don't give a fvck about your non existing "God".

May 9, 2012 at 7:54 pm |
    • phillip777

The difference is that i hold the word of God above Obama and Branch Dividians who are men. I understand where you're trying to go with this but you don't seem to understand religion. Let me tell you that I do not agree with gay marriage but will vote for Obama because there are many other issues i care about. I think the war in Iraq was immoral and many republican christians voted for Bush. I personally am not going to hold any man up to biblical standards. That's for God to do.

May 9, 2012 at 8:08 pm |
    • PC

@ "F-EM" and they are the bigots?

May 9, 2012 at 8:10 pm |
    • Billsen

Philip – the Bible is (at best) man's interpretation of God's word. Those new testaments? Those were from Jesus' followers – God didn't dictate any of that. Just pointing that out.

May 9, 2012 at 8:14 pm |
    • Cesar

You are right Colin!

Thank you. And to you both, God exists, only thing you gotta do is giving a chance to work in you. Call him. Do a prayer from your heart, and You will feel His existence just like many other Christians (people). Now, if you do not want to do that, because you hate Him, that's your issue. Think of it like this, "If I were your dad, and you hated me so much that you deny me, then, why should I bother to buy u a car?"...If you hate God so much, why would He reveal to you?

May 9, 2012 at 8:15 pm |
    • PercievedReality

Fvck em,
      Ok, lets leave God out of it. I as an individual human being believe that a culture should maintain a certain level of decency so the nominal social enviroment experienced by each individual of the society is decent. Now I know you will say that decency is subjective, and I agree. In the US each individual gets to vote and choose who they believe, in their personal view, is the most decent. I think we should clean up all forms of media and enforce some sort of ID system for age verification on the internet so that children are not exposed to mature content. SSM should be called a social union and have all rights of a marriage If society would regulate the media so as not to expose young minds to input that could skew their development towards the less natural.

Could Athiests agree to this?

Hello to all my fellow Christians and advanced primate friends!

Peace and love in to all of this existence!

May 9, 2012 at 8:32 pm |
    • Just me

Which is more rational? That a super uber being created the universe or that the physical laws of the universe, which are dependent on matter, time and space, worked on nothing to create everything?

May 9, 2012 at 8:44 pm |
    • cambric

So when you read the bibliographies of people long dead, they don't exist because they can't speak for themselves? Or autobiographies of people long dead? That logic of yours if fatality flawed.

There is absolute proof Jesus existed – it's faith he is The Son of God. If there is no God, then what does it matter what we believe? When we all die, and we all will, and there is 'nothing' then this argument will never have existed.

If there is a God – then your refusal to believe in Him will have dire consequences for you. There as been more belief in a God longer than a belief there isn't – and so what for us that do believe. Interesting thing too: If you follow our "so called god's rules" life here would be peaceful. "Love thy Neighbor" "do not kill" "do not steal" and yet...you don't want to believe or follow them.

There are some misguided followers out there, who take what they want from their bible and make it into something it isn't supposed to be – don't judge the rest of us by them.

May 9, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
    • Snow

@cambric., part 1 of your argument is called Pascals wager.. disproved logically uber thousand times already..

part 2 about love thy neighbor and stuff.. well those are morality principles atheists also follow and prescribe others to follow. You need not believe in god to follow those principles. But the mistake you are making is to cherry pick what supports your argument while ignoring the rest.. No one argues that there are some sound pieces of advice in the bible.. But it has a huge collection of meaningless drival and a number of rules quite harmful to any society.. Those you have quite conveniently ignored. Therein lies the problem and why your argument is so flawed

May 9, 2012 at 9:08 pm |
  14. LCSWquilter

Obama's personal beliefs on gay marriage should not matter to the voting public as long as marriage issues remain with the states and he is not planning to push any reform at the federal level.

May 9, 2012 at 7:47 pm |
    • youreyesareweird

...sure, just like the Jim Crow laws were left to the states. No need for Federal Civil Rights, the states have it under control...

May 9, 2012 at 8:13 pm |
    • Primewonk

Marriage laws are always decided at the state level. That's why Loving v.Virginia never made it to the Supreme Court. It's why Perry v. Brown isn't winding it's way through the federal courts now.

Oh...wait....nevermind.

May 9, 2012 at 8:27 pm |
  15. AJ

Someone explain something to me...I'm not a very religious person, but I do respect its place in the world and how it helps many people. One thing I don't get is the animosity towards gays. Why? I'm 15 and know people who are gay..who cares!!!

Can an adult explain to me why you have to divide rather than bring people together in the name of love?

Isn't religion supposed to be about love??

May 9, 2012 at 7:45 pm |
    • byron2010

It is supposed ti be about love, the whole Love Thy Neighbor thing. But like every other group in the world, it is the bigots who have the biggest voice and are heard more often.

May 9, 2012 at 7:48 pm |
    • LCSWquilter

This is why I have such hope for our country - because the youth like you are asking the right questions.

May 9, 2012 at 7:49 pm |
    • Shove your religious rules up your ass

Religion is about control, not love.

May 9, 2012 at 7:49 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

It's called self-righteousness. Many of them think that if they can just marginalize others based on their interpretation of a religious text, that will make them more holy and able to enter heaven. A more simple explanation would be selfishness, and control freaks.

May 9, 2012 at 7:51 pm |
    • AJ

What is wrong with showing that kind of love? Don't you want people to love? It's just better cause it's healthier!

May 9, 2012 at 7:57 pm |
  16. mike

obama = loser

May 9, 2012 at 7:45 pm |
    • momoya

mike = dumb .. now do me.

May 9, 2012 at 7:59 pm |
  17. Bob

I felt sorry for you Americans for the wrath President Obama thru the guy marriage is bringing on you and your children and thier children. Reality and common sense (natural justice) are very simple and too simple insipite of your "skyrocket" advancement and over civilization. We don't need to be religious to tell between whats RIGHT and whats WRONG, whats evil and whats not evil. Guy marriage is simply wrong and worst still is evil. Obama is a cursed man and so is the nation who is deemed so advanced to know simple truths and common sense. Again Guy marriage is wrong full stop.

May 9, 2012 at 7:44 pm |
    • Shove your religious rules up your ass

Your a fvcking idiot. Plain and simple. Keep your outdated ways of thinking to yourself.

May 9, 2012 at 7:47 pm |
    • Dennis

Oh please Bob blow it out your tailpipe. And you probably still think its wrong for blacks to sit in the front of the bus and that women should stay barefoot and pregnant too right? Gay marriage is wrong by who'se standards? People keep talking about the seperation of church and state until the church supports your argument then its okay to mix the two? Please just get off your high horse and quit sitting in judgement on other people. You nor anyone else is even close to be deserving to do that.

May 9, 2012 at 7:52 pm |
    • Colin

Bob, I sincerely hope you are 80+ because, if not, you just redefined stupid.

May 9, 2012 at 7:52 pm |
    • Neverendinghill

Oh ok, well it's just guy marriage you're worried about. Gal marriage is ok, I suppose.

May 9, 2012 at 8:09 pm |
    • youreyesareweird

Yah Bob, us Americans, with our "skyrocket" advancement, don't expect you simpletons to understand what is meant by equality.

May 9, 2012 at 8:17 pm |
    • Snow

Simple question, Bob.. WHY?
      Try to answer that without bringing the bible into it..

May 9, 2012 at 8:20 pm |
  18. Colin

A. How your average believer thinks – "I am aganist gay marriage because the god(s) I believe in are against it".

B. How your average non-believer thinks – "I am for gay marriage because it doesn't harm andybody and all people should have the right to be happy".

C. How your average politican thinks "Are there more voters in category A or category B?"

May 9, 2012 at 7:43 pm |
  19. Seth Hill of Topanga, California

I couldn't find where in The Bible that marriage is supposed to be between one man and one woman. Could you religious conservatives help me out? (This is not mocking; this is an actual question.)

May 9, 2012 at 7:40 pm |
    • Colin

It never says that squrely, but i think anybody would be hard pressed to say it supports gay marriage, given the violent, ancient times it was made up in.

May 9, 2012 at 7:44 pm |
    • momoya

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFkeKKszXTw&w=640&h=360]

May 9, 2012 at 7:48 pm |
    • Snow

Haha.. that video is so funny .... and sad because every word said in it is true.. interestingly, there is no response from devout believer folks.. hmm, wonder why..

May 9, 2012 at 8:14 pm |
    • FBKL

I feel sad for you.... You will definitely have a day that you need this God, you are abusing, to save you... May God save you....

May 9, 2012 at 8:40 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@FBKL

It's interesting how many believers give these ominous little tidbits of needing god one day, yet when confronted about the situation I never hear from them again. So just spit out what you want to say.

May 9, 2012 at 8:42 pm |
    • Billy

Jesus defined marriage as a life long union between a man and a woman when he was asked about divorce in Mark and Mathew. “But at the beginning of creation God ‘made them male and female.’[a] 7 ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife,[b] 8 and the two will become one flesh.’[c] So they are no longer two, but one flesh. 9 Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

May 9, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
    • Snow

people say they are believers and followers of god out of love.. but everytime I hear someone say "one day you will need god.." arguement, I realize that they follow their god our of fear.. fear of keeping themselves out of their version of hell, fear of not getting help from the god dude and denial that death ends it all ..

Sad bunch.. living a life of lies and fear

May 9, 2012 at 8:49 pm |
    • Snow

@Billy, then shouldn't divorce be const.itutionally banned as well? why the bias there?

May 9, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
    • PercievedReality

@Billy There is penalty for divorce, try it one time.

May 9, 2012 at 9:32 pm |
    • PercievedReality

G-ay-s will do anything to get their way, they do not care about God's or man's laws. Why can't they just corn-hole each other and be happy? Why do they have to constantly moan and complain like they are being persecuted when they can do anything they want. Oh, they do not get medical insurance or pension benefits! So what, traditional couples have to SACRIFICE plenty to raise a family, What do they SACRIFE? NOTHING! So S-T-F-U!

May 9, 2012 at 9:37 pm |
  20. bill

All things concidered, this was a big mistake before the general election. Obama will lose more straight voters than gay voters voting for him. If Obama loses then gays will go back to square one on their demands.

May 9, 2012 at 7:40 pm |
    • Moi

Most people don't care about the issue. The ones who are against gays and hate Obama will still vote against him. Those who are againsta gays and like Obama will still vote for him. Those who are for gay rights and are on the fence are likely to support Obama for that reason. For most other people it is who cares!
      Those of us who are not gay are not going to become gay because some dudes are allowed to marry each other.

May 9, 2012 at 7:52 pm |
    • Sara

Straight does not mean anti-gay marriage. You would be right to say Obama will lose more religious conservative voters- but would they be voting for him anyway? My guess is not. I don't think this was a risky move for losing votes, if anything, picking a side will win him more votes in the end.

May 9, 2012 at 7:54 pm |
    • PercievedReality

Moi, more humans will be gay because it will be legitimized and glorified though media which will effect immpresionable children during their development. Why are we not fighting to make our culture less depraved?

How much value do Atheists and h-om-os put on child innocence?

May 9, 2012 at 9:46 pm |