home
RSS
Is the black church guilty of spiritual hypocrisy in same-sex marriage debate?
Delman Coates at Mt. Ennon Baptist Church is among a minority of black ministers in Maryland who have endorsed gay rights.
May 12th, 2012

Is the black church guilty of spiritual hypocrisy in same-sex marriage debate?

By John Blake, CNN

(CNN) - Some people wonder if the black church will punish President Barack Obama for announcing support for same-sex marriage.

Here’s another question:

Why would the black church cite scripture to exclude gays when a similar approach to the Bible was used to enslave their ancestors?

“It’s so unfortunate,” says James Cone, one the nation’s most influential black theologians and author of “The Cross and the Lynching Tree.”

“The literal approach to scripture was used to enslave black people,” he says. “I’ve said many times in black churches that the black church is on the wrong side of history on this. It’s so sad because they were on the right side of history in their own struggle.”

Call it historical irony: Black church leaders arguing against same-sex marriage are making some of the same arguments that supporters of slavery made in the 18th and 19th centuries, some historians say. Both groups adopted a literal reading of the Bible to justify withholding basic rights from a particular group.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Opposition to gay rights is not the standard position of all black churches. Still, while several predominately white mainline denominations have officially accepted gays and lesbians in various forms, the vast majority of black churches still consider homosexuality a sin.

Black church leaders recently helped lead a successful drive to amend North Carolina’s constitution to ban same-sex marriage. The Rev. Fred Robinson, a black pastor in Charlotte, says most black churchgoers aren’t hypocrites. They take scripture, and sin, seriously.

“Black people are not confused,” Robinson says. “If you look at the scriptures that oppose homosexuality, Old and New Testament, they are clearer cut than the ones people used to justify slavery.”

Yet there are other factors beyond the Bible that shape the black church’s resistance to same-sex marriage.

“It’s more than scripture – it’s history, culture, how we were raised,” says the Rev. Tim McDonald, founder of the African American Ministers Leadership Council.

Some black church leaders are still fighting hard just to persuade straight black couples to marry. Accepting same-sex marriage when so many black households lack a husband and wife makes McDonald uneasy.

“I am not comfortable performing a wedding ceremony of the same sex,” says McDonald, an Obama supporter. “That’s just where I am.”

Some black pastors, however, embrace a literal approach to the Bible not just to exclude gays but to get rid of competition, says Edward Blum, a San Diego State University historian.

Some black pastors cite New Testament passages such as Paul’s demand that women keep silent in churches to argue against black women in the pulpit.

That argument is harder to make when black women’s energy and donations form the backbone of the black church, Blum says, but some still get away with it.

“The biblical literalist reading has kept male leadership in power in a church that is hugely female,” Blum says. “It keeps power in men’s hands.”

The one book that mattered

Black churches also embrace a literal reading of the scripture because of its unique history, says Blum, author of “W.E.B. DuBois, American Prophet.”

During slavery and segregation, many blacks saw the Bible as the one document they could trust. The Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, state and local laws – all found some way to ignore their humanity, Blum says.

The Bible, though, was one book that told them that they weren’t slaves or three-fifths of a person, Blum says.

It said they were children of God.

“Throughout the 18th and 19th century, what document could they trust?” Blum says. “When the Bible says it’s so, it’s something that black people believed they could trust.”

Their enemies, though, used that same veneration of the Bible against them. Slaveholders had a simple but powerful argument when critics challenged them: Trust the Bible.

They cited scriptures such as Ephesians 6:5. (“Slaves, be obedient to those who are your earthly masters, with fear and trembling. ...”) And they said Jesus preached against many sins, but never against slavery.

Since the Bible is infallible, and scripture sanctions slavery, it must be part of God’s order, slaveholders concluded.

“Slavery is everywhere in the Bible,” Blum says. “When Americans who were in favor of slavery defended it with the Bible, they had a treasure trove of clear biblical passages that accepted enslavement.”

Blum says abolitionists found it difficult to mount an effective counterargument. They couldn’t just say trust the Bible. They preached another approach to scriptures.

They said you couldn’t enslave people based on the Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would have them do to you. (Obama cited the Golden Rule and his Christian faith in supporting same-sex marriage).

“The abolitionist turned to the ethics and spirit of the Bible,” Blum says. “They were theological modernists before modernism.”

And what are black clergy and churchgoers today when they cite the Bible to oppose same-sex marriage?

Robinson, the North Carolina pastor, says they’re not homophobes.

“It says in the Bible that homosexuals will not inherit the Kingdom of God,” he says. “How do you explain that one away? A lot of honest Christians are not trying to hate homosexuals. They’re saying that if I take the Bible seriously, I’m not sure I can say it’s right.”

Robinson says that some opposition to homosexuality is actually based in compassion:

“If I’m concerned about your soul, I have to tell you the truth in love.”

Cone, who teaches at Union Theological Seminary in New York City, says black churchgoers opposed to same-sex marriage are instead mimicking their ancestors’ oppressors.

“I tell some people, ‘These people were against you.’ They would have lynched you. How are you going to now join them and help them lynch somebody else?’”

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Barack Obama • Christianity • Culture wars • Gay marriage • Gay rights • Homosexuality • Politics

soundoff (4,348 Responses)
  1. Glenn

There is no God; get over it... it's a good thing.

May 12, 2012 at 11:09 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

You doubt Thor's might?! Did he not prove himself the one true God in the latest installment of the Avengers?

May 12, 2012 at 11:10 pm |
    • Jesus

Glenn is quite right... there is no God. This Truth shall really set thee free.

May 12, 2012 at 11:37 pm |
  2. dilbertqdoggie

I used to think that I didn't really care about gay marriage - I mean, how would that really affect me anyway? Live and let live ... But, then I noticed that it doesn't stop there. It moves into the schools. The gay agenda adds its own propaganda in the media, in schools, etc. That's why I'm dead set against gay marriage - it is my business, because I don't want those people teaching my kids that their lifestyle is "normal." They kicked the Bible out of schools. Ok, fine, I can teach my children myself and I can take them to church. But, they need to kick the gay agenda out of schools, too. I've had about enough of that. If you truly want the freedom to be gay and be married, then get your propaganda away from my children. Then, maybe I'll go back to ignoring you.

May 12, 2012 at 11:05 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

They interjected the bible into schools before they kicked it out. Keep your agenda out of politics if you want the same from others.

May 12, 2012 at 11:08 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

Get your propaganda away from my children so I can keep ignoring you.

May 12, 2012 at 11:09 pm |

Dilbert,

What is "gay propaganda"? You mean things like saying all Americans should have equal rights? You mean like saying gays are born that way? You mean like stating that gays are soldiers, firemen, policemen, doctors, and others who save the lives of ungrateful hypocrites?

May 12, 2012 at 11:10 pm |
    • be

Right.....and quit teaching about black history.....and the holocaust.....and the suffragette movement......That darn corrupt gay agenda.......Don't they know its immoral to live in legally recognized, monogamous, committed relationships......and raise their children (many adopted from heteros) in nurturing homes......and serving their country in the military.......Gosh, how low can they get?

May 12, 2012 at 11:11 pm |
    • A Serpent's Thoughts

@ dilbertqdoggie

It may be a bit late to keep sodomy out of public schools and it sodomy writngs are found within many a library! The God damned money grubbing psychiatrists and psychologists for the most part do not believe in God and they view sodomy as being a mental cause of the populations' normalcies! Hell many shrinks do not believe that sodomy is a wicked and lecherous Act! These shrinks are mere money hungry folks looking for sodomies' handouts!

May 12, 2012 at 11:33 pm |
  3. chicago7

As soon as you find yourself trying to use whichever aspect of God you worship to try to justify your own exclusion of other human beings from political, social and spiritual equality, you distance yourself a little from everything good.

May 12, 2012 at 10:57 pm |
    • be

well said.

May 12, 2012 at 11:02 pm |
  4. A Serpent's Thoughts

May 12, 2012 at 10:49 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

Well we are finding out that those are phenotypes. How's life on your flat Earth going?

May 12, 2012 at 10:52 pm |

Are you drooling?

May 12, 2012 at 10:54 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

He only drools when he sees altar boys on their knees.

May 12, 2012 at 10:55 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

I know it's creepy but I envision you doing nasty things to your bible.

May 12, 2012 at 10:56 pm |

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOz4zg5mZBk&w=640&h=360]

May 12, 2012 at 11:01 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

LOLOLOLOLOL. Thats what you sound like to mentally sound people.

May 12, 2012 at 11:03 pm |

Godoflunaticscreation,

He's actually quoting what the Bible says, believe it or not.

May 12, 2012 at 11:12 pm |
    • A Serpent's Thoughts

@ Voice of Unreason & Godoflunaticscreation

Mindless dribblings from a sector of juvenile delinquents nourishing their own filthiness ways! Sure hope your moomas are poppas are keeping you safe from this world's sodomizers or are you both sodomites?

May 12, 2012 at 11:20 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

Oh I believe it! It's pretty much established that they are a bunch of loons following their loony book of fairy tales.

May 12, 2012 at 11:21 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

No, sadly my priest wasn't into me. I think he liked another altar boy.

May 12, 2012 at 11:22 pm |
    • John

It's like a bunch of crazy wingnuts amusing themselves in a self-congratulatory circle jerk....you guys need some meds 🙂

May 13, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
  5. Cody

This is a very poorly written article. The author displays a definite misunderstanding of what Scripture says. People continue to look at the passage that endorse slavery with a perspective of 18/19th century African slave trade. When reading the Bible, you must attempt to understand the intended meaning of the author in proper cultural context. Any ancient near eastern historian will tell you that slavery in Biblical times was nothing like the view we conjure of slavery today. Slaves were indentured servants and were considered part of the family. They were people who were paying off debts to others, and were freed every seven years.

Please do some more research before you claims.

May 12, 2012 at 10:48 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

Cody, I need a servant. Care to apply?

May 12, 2012 at 10:53 pm |

Cody,
      "Slaves were indentured servants and were considered part of the family."

The Bible talks about how badly you could HURT your beloved indentured servant with no punishment.

READ the Bible sometime.

"Please do some more research before you claims."

May 12, 2012 at 10:53 pm |
    • chicago7

The problem isn't whether anyone is misinterpreting scripture. It's that anyone would attempt to use scripture to justify hateful and hurtful behavior toward fellow human beings.

May 12, 2012 at 11:02 pm |
  6. A Serpent's Thoughts

Are Gays really born to be sodomizers? What then are the "Bi's" who love both genders? Damn Sodomites of gayness are but lecherous creatures of ill-worth and like animals they go and do Acts of wickedness and tend to betray mankind's being more than just animals! Flthy are the Acts of sodomy and vile are those who dare to do such animal actions!

May 12, 2012 at 10:47 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

You really are one twisted mofo!

May 12, 2012 at 10:50 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

Your ilk prefer to sodomize young boys.

May 12, 2012 at 10:51 pm |
    • A Serpent's Thoughts

@ Godoflunaticscreation

I am far from being a Catholic my friend! I am not even a Christian tenderer of church. I have much hatred toward any Act of sodomy against others be it willing or God forbid unwilling! Teach this world's young ones the sodomy trade and this nation of the USA will become a vile and wicked nation for sodomy's sake! Psychiatry has sold our nation a bill of goodlessness by backing the gay crowds who have sold their doctors a bill of worthlessness!

If gayness is beyond one's abilities to refrain from then, just what the hell are the Bi's abilities of sensualism regarded as being? Sodomy is nothing but a travesty to all righteous mankind! Gayness is of the sodomites and is reviled by God's people who know the Truths!

May 12, 2012 at 11:11 pm |

A Serpent's Thoughts,

Millions of HETEROS engage in sodomy.

It's really sad that you didn't know.

May 12, 2012 at 11:17 pm |
  7. My Children

Now that Barack Obama supports Gay marriage, we are noticing a lot of people are against gay marriage. But those people who are opposing gay marriage were brain wash by their religion. I am religious, but I don't let my religious beliefs or knowledge of marriage be run by my religion. I was born with both parents a mom and a dad. I was raised to believe that marriage is between a man and women, but you know why that is the reason is because of religion. Religion has taken over us. That's the religion believe and that's what you should follow because since you were a kid you were brain wash that marriage should be between a man and I women. But in reality humans don't know. GOD's intention was when he sent his only son to die. Jesus died for our sins and forgave everyone for their intentions because they didn't know better. He said "Father please forgive them for they know not what they do." Yes I'm quoting . People have being brainwash by their religion, GOD never intended for humans to run an organization that would preach to him, but in a hypocritical way. I'm talking about religion. GOD's intention was for everyone to be in peace, but in reality he knew there will never be peace between humans. As soon as Adam and Eve ate from the forbidden fruit. He knew that humans were the only ones who would survive between themselves. GOD knew that 1 in every 5 humans a least one will be smart about their choices and judgements and criticisms against another Human and their believes. GOD knew that they where going to kill his only son if he was sent to earth, Jesus Christ knew what was going to happen to him. Jesus never judged or criticize us for what we did to him. I mean us because we are the humans who kill GOD's only child. Jesus never judge us for his death, he even told his father to please for give us because we don't know what we did. Now in 2012 we are seeing people from different believes trying to be against marriage when it comes between a man and a man, women or women. People have to start seeing the big picture because we are one, we got to put our differences and be in peace. People might disagree with me and I know theirs still people out there that don't know what they are doing. So please look at the past, we have seeing a lot of damage because of our differences from religion to ethnicity. Please Father Forgive them for they don't know what they are doing. If I must die again for my children then it should be. Please my children learn from the past and please don't believe what politicians or others humans say about you. I die for you once and I will die again for my children. All I want in return is to forgive those who judge you as you wish they forgive you for your wrongs.

Religion was created by Humans and the bible written by a human being. So please stop with all the hatred that GOD said this about marriage because everything is just written by human beings not GOD. And we already know how human being are, they judge, criticize, torment other humans believes.

"Father please forgive them for they know not what they do."

May 12, 2012 at 10:42 pm |

Spam attack!

May 12, 2012 at 10:43 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

There was no god, there is no god and there never will be a god, period

May 12, 2012 at 10:44 pm |
    • Lots of Words

Exactly, but the whole point is, we just need to mind our business, and stop trying to inflict our misquided beliefs on others. no one besides myself of course, knows the whole truth. And I for one am certainly not going to share it here. you can read my blog for all your answers to lifes questions.

May 12, 2012 at 10:47 pm |
  8. MacFarren

Being black is hereditary. Being gay is not. Being gay is not a race. There is no comparison.

May 12, 2012 at 10:41 pm |
    • Are you sure?

Being gay is genetic, being black is random.

May 12, 2012 at 10:42 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

Science disagrees with you. You know, that trifling little thing that you rely on to spread your ignorance on the internet.

May 12, 2012 at 10:42 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

I hope you didn't pay for your education.

May 12, 2012 at 10:42 pm |
    • Really-O?

@MacFarren-

However, all injustice is wrong...right?

May 12, 2012 at 10:43 pm |

MacFarren,

Being the victim of bigotry because of how you were born doesn't change.

May 12, 2012 at 10:43 pm |
    • Really-O?

@MacFarren-
      Sure it does, if the bigots change.

May 12, 2012 at 10:55 pm |
    • Really-O?

@Observer-
      Sorry, completely different context coming from you rather than MacFarren.

May 12, 2012 at 10:56 pm |
  9. ah... how cute... Pravda4U must be one of herbies names du jour

sad. quite sad

May 12, 2012 at 10:37 pm |
  10. Golunk

For Pravda4U and similarly ignorant folk: scientific studies show that gay is not a choice. Read here:

May 12, 2012 at 10:34 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

I wonder if Pravda was born stupid or chose that lifestyle.

May 12, 2012 at 10:36 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

I would bet that they wouldn't read it, too bad.

May 12, 2012 at 10:37 pm |
    • Observer

Failure to do research and failure to get an education is a CHOICE.

May 12, 2012 at 10:38 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

Are you sure National Geographic is a reputable periodical?

May 12, 2012 at 10:40 pm |
  11. Whydowecare

Why do people try to control the lives of others anyway? Why should any of us care what someone else does with someone else? I could care less if someone in alaska wants to marry a polar bear. why do we feel the need to control someone else. isnt it hard enough to control ourselves???

May 12, 2012 at 10:33 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

Christians and Muslims seem to be on the same page with regard to forcing their own brand of theocracy on humanity.

May 12, 2012 at 10:35 pm |
    • Stormwind advisor

yeah, and what difference does it make if someone is born gay or born to love elephants, thou that would be awkward. Why does it matter? Mind your own bees wax

May 12, 2012 at 10:36 pm |
    • Christian Moslem

Christianity and islam are not the problem, people are the problem. guns arent the problem, people are problem, Iraq isnt the problem G. bush was the problem

May 12, 2012 at 10:40 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

Bush would not have been able to do what he did if he hadn't used Christianity as his propaganda tool. It seems that religions like these are great at that. Probably because that is what they are.

May 12, 2012 at 10:49 pm |
  12. Limbaugh is a liberal

Ronald Reagan was the only US president to have had a divorce. Nancy was his second wife.

May 12, 2012 at 10:26 pm |
    • Nancy

Uh, that was a secret...

May 12, 2012 at 10:27 pm |
  13. Pravda4U

No one is born gay, if they were then people would not be able to leave the gay lifestyle and live a normal hetero life. Sorry boys and girls, it is a choice... And can not be compared to race discrimination...

May 12, 2012 at 10:24 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

You have proved your ignorance over and over, now go away.

May 12, 2012 at 10:25 pm |
    • Bornwhat?

Of course gays are born with that disposition, its genetic. I have interviewed many. heck you can pick them out on the street without even asking. you can live with blinders on, can you

May 12, 2012 at 10:26 pm |
    • Pravda4U

How am I wrong? If gay is a gene issue like some have incorrectly assumed, how can one become un-gay? Do they lose the gay gene?

May 12, 2012 at 10:27 pm |

Pravda4U,

The TENS OF THOUSANDS of PROFESSIONALS at APA say you don't know what you are talking about.

Please list your educational and professional experience to show you have ANY CLUE.

May 12, 2012 at 10:27 pm |
    • be

People who "chose" not to be gay are simply gays who are still in the closet. Just like people who "chose" not to acknowledge their culture. Just because a person choses not to acknowledge their "native american heritage" does not make them any more or less native american

May 12, 2012 at 10:27 pm |
    • TedTampaBay

Pravda...isn't that a Commie newspaper?

May 12, 2012 at 10:28 pm |
    • Pravda4U

I have several friends that have left the gay lifestyle and live normal lives and have children naturally. The gay gene myth is a rediculous lie.

May 12, 2012 at 10:29 pm |
    • TheEndTimesareHere

People who "chose" not to be gay are simply gays who are still in the closet.

Really most gays say x gays were never gay in the first place.

May 12, 2012 at 10:30 pm |
    • Notreallygay

Perhaps, they werent really ever gay, but experimented, either you are or arent,

May 12, 2012 at 10:30 pm |

Pravda4U,

Sorry you missed my question.

Can you list your educational and professoinal experience to show you have a clue in the world for pretending you know more than tens of thousands of PROFESSIONALS at APA do?

May 12, 2012 at 10:33 pm |
    • britt

@pravda4u: let's use a *little* common sense. Why on earth would ANYONE choose to be gay? please. think about that.

May 12, 2012 at 10:35 pm |
    • Golunk

{ravda, suggest you read here:

May 12, 2012 at 10:35 pm |
    • Joshua

Please explain why anyone would willingly alienate themselves from society and their families as well as go through immense internal conflicts. They all must obviously be antisocial, immoral sinners, huh?

May 12, 2012 at 10:36 pm |
    • What???

If being gay was genetic that gene would have gone extinct because it would not reproduce because they can't! To say that you are able to pick someone out of a group because of a personality trait is not a reflection of genetics. Blood type, eye color, height, natural hair color are all genetic but not personality. Personality is a result of environment and exposure.

May 12, 2012 at 10:44 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

Not if it is a recessive gene that skips generations.

May 12, 2012 at 10:46 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

"Personality is a result of environment and exposure."

Prove it.

May 12, 2012 at 10:46 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

Personality traits are also called phenotypes. So ya, you have no argument.

May 12, 2012 at 10:47 pm |

What???

"Personality is a result of environment and exposure"

Preferences are already established by birth. Babies have immediate preferences for certain foods, colors, sounds, shapes, etc.

May 12, 2012 at 10:48 pm |
    • What???

If I observed you for 10 days during your normal day and I was then allowed to observe 5 couples and one of those couples raised you I am confident I will be able to pick them because of personality traits you have picked up from them. My son who never met my father acts just like him in many ways becuase he has picked them up from me because I have pick up those traits during the 35 years I knew him other wise how could a kid imulate a man he has never met?

May 12, 2012 at 10:56 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

The nature/ nurture debate has been over for some time now. Pravda has yet to join the 21st century.

May 12, 2012 at 10:57 pm |
    • What???

How can you prefer something you have no knowlege of?

May 12, 2012 at 10:57 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

What??? You are arguing something that has already been dis-proven.

May 12, 2012 at 10:59 pm |

@What???
      "How can you prefer something you have no knowlege of?"

Instinct?

May 12, 2012 at 11:01 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

It's called genetics. I see that"what???" must have taken the bible camp version. Hey "what???" How do we have any genes at all if we were fashioned from mud?

May 12, 2012 at 11:06 pm |

@What???

Are you really going to PRETEND that you baby didn't have IMMEDIATE preference for some foods over others or IMMEDIATE preference for some colors or objects over others? Get serious.

May 12, 2012 at 11:21 pm |
  14. Lew Rubens

I believe in the vows of marriage should be "binding". To few try to break the chains that restrain a good relationship.

May 12, 2012 at 10:21 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

If it is a civil marriage it is binding.

May 12, 2012 at 10:24 pm |
  15. n8263

Using religion as an excuse to deny others civil rights is wrong. It was used by whites to oppress blacks and now a majority of blacks are using it to oppress gays. This is wrong.

It is amazing Christians still post comments to blogs like this asking why non-believers hang out and try to show them the truth. We are not trying to deny you of some god's riches (as someone posted earlier) any more than we want to deny you of Santa's Christmas presents. We are trying to wake you up and in so doing make the world a better place.

May 12, 2012 at 10:18 pm |
    • Pravda4U

Sad that in your twisted thinking that their is any comparison at all between what african americans endured over hundreds of years and the slight persecution that gays endure...

May 12, 2012 at 10:22 pm |
    • be

Well Pravda4U, it is good that you at least recognize that gays endure persecution (even if you do try to minimize it). The next step is to recognize that persecution is never justified nor is it ethical......no matter what its degree.

May 12, 2012 at 10:25 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

Pravda you really are stupid. I really thought it was just an act. So how is pointing out the irony that, descendants of African slaves are using the same tactic that was used to deny them freedom to deny gays theirs directly comparing the modern plights of gays to those of the slaves? Did they say that not allowing a gay to marry is equal to enslaving them to work on plantations?

May 12, 2012 at 10:28 pm |
    • TheEndTimesareHere

Whose dumber, Pravda for his comments or you for constantly replying to them?

May 12, 2012 at 10:32 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

Pravda is my entertainment for now. You seem pretty miffed about something. Care to discuss it?

May 12, 2012 at 10:33 pm |
    • Really-O?

@TheEndTimesareHere –
      Snap! Well done TheEnd.

May 12, 2012 at 10:33 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

Yes, well done for misinterpreting my entertainment as caring. Good show! You sure proved that your God is the way.

May 12, 2012 at 10:39 pm |
    • n8263

Pravda4U, only a moron like you could not see the comparison between black persecution and gay persection.
      Keep up your hypocracy.

May 12, 2012 at 10:45 pm |
  16. Pravda4U

How is the gay lifestyle different than any of the other perrverted lifestyles and why should they get rights that the others can't have?

May 12, 2012 at 10:15 pm |
    • Observer

Heteros engage in perverted acts. If you don't believe me, ask your wife or mother if she can think of any perverted hetero activities.

Did you have ANY point at all?

May 12, 2012 at 10:17 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

Perverted lifestyle. You mean like the divorce rate amongst heteros?

May 12, 2012 at 10:17 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

YOU have a perverted world view.

May 12, 2012 at 10:17 pm |
    • Drew

Um, you live in America. People are allowed to choose their own lifestyle, so long as it doesn't hurt anyone. Maybe you should move to Iran?

May 12, 2012 at 10:18 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

He has nothing to say. Just a 3rd rate attempt at trolling. I find him laughable and entertaining. Like watching the three stooges.

May 12, 2012 at 10:18 pm |
    • Pravda4U

Exactly Drew, their LIFESTYLE CHOICES... Why should it get special rights over other groups who have chosen other questionable choices?

May 12, 2012 at 10:20 pm |

Godoflunaticscreation,

You are right. He can't even fake responses.

May 12, 2012 at 10:21 pm |

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cUS1Xus54U&w=640&h=360]

May 12, 2012 at 10:22 pm |

For Pravda. lol

May 12, 2012 at 10:22 pm |

Pravda4U,

Gays are born that way. Get an education.

You have ZERO proof to back you up.

May 12, 2012 at 10:22 pm |
  17. n8263

It is immoral to impose your religious superstition on others.

You do not believe in religion because you honestly think it is true, you believe in it because you fear mortality or are seeking meaning in your life. It does not take a genius to figure out all religion is man made, so for humanity's sake, please stop lying to yourself.

Deluding yourself in religion does not change reality. Lying to yourself is probably the worst possible way to try to find meaning.

May 12, 2012 at 10:14 pm |
  18. Pravda4U

I want to marry my penguin. Can I get my civil rights defended by CNN too???

May 12, 2012 at 10:11 pm |
    • Observer

They might after a psychiatric exam.

May 12, 2012 at 10:12 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

Muslims want Sharia Law. Can they force their beliefs on you using law.

May 12, 2012 at 10:12 pm |
    • momoya

What the h.e.ll do I care.. Marry your sofa or your pet grizzly while you're at it..

May 12, 2012 at 10:12 pm |
    • Pravda4U

Sure Sharia would pass if enough people support it here in the US, kinda what the gay movement is trying to do too I think...

May 12, 2012 at 10:13 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

I do not see anything wrong with you marrying your penguin, as long as you treat her right and give her the life she deserves!

May 12, 2012 at 10:14 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

Pravda you must be 12 or something. Do you really think anyone will take your idiotic statements seriously? I wonder if even you do.

May 12, 2012 at 10:15 pm |
    • Pravda4U

Penguin love baby, once you have it you will never go back!

May 12, 2012 at 10:15 pm |
    • Really-O?

@Pravda – "Sure Sharia would pass..."

No Pravda, it would not. You see, the U.S.A has a secular government. Do you really not understand that?

May 12, 2012 at 10:16 pm |
    • Pravda4U

Sure it would. A lot of Sharia law is already accepted in Minnesota. Wake up people....

May 12, 2012 at 10:18 pm |
    • Really-O?

@Pravda4U – "A lot of Sharia law is already accepted in Minnesota."

Nonsense...plain and simple.

May 12, 2012 at 10:20 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

Pravda has a tinfoil hat that keeps the government from shooting thoughts into his feeble brain.

May 12, 2012 at 10:20 pm |
    • Pravda4U

I love uneducated liberals....

May 12, 2012 at 10:23 pm |
    • Penquin

It should not matter to anyone else who someone chooses to marry, people need to stop worrying about others and focus on their own pitiful lives

May 12, 2012 at 10:24 pm |
    • Pravda4U

I love you penquin!!!

May 12, 2012 at 10:25 pm |
    • Limbaugh is a liberal

Sure, go ahead. Marry a penguin. Nobody cares. As long as the penguin consents, be happy!

May 12, 2012 at 10:28 pm |
    • TheEndTimesareHere

U must u bothered to reply to his comment

May 12, 2012 at 10:28 pm |
    • Joshua

A penguin, being an animal, cannot give legal consent. Since marriage requires consent, you and your penguin could not get married.

May 12, 2012 at 10:29 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

You have made quite a case in support of your ignorance yet you laugh at the intelligence of those who follow the mindset which allows for you to even communicate with us. Double irony, considering the article.

May 12, 2012 at 10:30 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

I am not bothered so much as entertained the way a cat is when it plays with it's soon to be, meal.

May 12, 2012 at 10:32 pm |
  19. Sean

With all the the stupid comments in this article the very last sentence is the most stupid of all. This article hints at ALL the reasons why the Bible should NOT be taken literally, which it should, and then uses an analogy that if taken literally is an accusation of attempted murder and racist in every sense of the word. "How are you going to join them and help them lynch someone else?" REALLY????

May 12, 2012 at 10:10 pm |
    • Drew

Oh, the bible should be taken literally, should it? You don't want to qualify that at all?

May 12, 2012 at 10:21 pm |
    • Joshua

Hope you aren't wearing polyester, because that's also an "abomination" according to Leviticus. Also, the Bible justifies slavery. If you take the Bible literally, you have to take the whole thing literally. Besides, didn't Jesus overturn the Laws of Moses anyway?

May 12, 2012 at 10:32 pm |
  20. Pravda4U

Some friends and I are gathering together, because we want to marry our penguins. We demand the same civil rights as the gay community that has emboldened us to come out of the closets and zoos and gain legal acknowledgement for the love of our penguins...

May 12, 2012 at 10:05 pm |
    • matt

Sure no problem at all you just get the penguin to consent. You find a way to make sure that the penguin wants to marry you and you should be able to!! no? you can't ? really ?? have you figured out what 'consenting adults mean' you stupid whack job!!

May 12, 2012 at 10:09 pm |

Pravdd4U,

You really don't know the difference between gay marriage and bestiality do you? Education would help. A dictionary would help.

May 12, 2012 at 10:10 pm |
    • If horses had Gods .. their Gods would be horses

If your penguins are self aware consenting adults who are not harmed in any way by your marriage .. go for it, I don't care what you do. I'm sure you are having you way with the Penguin now .. so your marriage ceremony will change nothing. Get it Pravda?

May 12, 2012 at 10:11 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

Some friend gather together because they want to force Sharia Law on people like you force your religion into politics. They demand the same rights as the Christian community for the love of Allah.

May 12, 2012 at 10:11 pm |
    • Really-O?

@Pravda4U-
      You've just banished yourself from the adult table. How do you think that support your position?

May 12, 2012 at 10:11 pm |
    • Joshua

Consent.

Your argument just exploded.

May 12, 2012 at 10:32 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62
About this blog