home
RSS
May 24th, 2012

Belief Blog's Morning Speed Read for Thursday, May 24

By Laura Koran, CNN

Here's the Belief Blog’s morning rundown of the top faith-angle stories from around the United States and around the world. Click the headlines for the full stories.

From the Blog:

CNN: Accused priest: 'I was helping priests and helping victims as best I could'
The highest-ranking cleric to be charged with child endangerment testified Wednesday in the landmark child sexual abuse and conspiracy trial in which he and another Philadelphia priest are defendants. Dressed in clerical garb, Monsignor William Lynn took the stand inside the packed Common Pleas courtroom under the watchful eye of Judge Teresa Sarmina. He was calm, confident and very matter-of-fact during direct examination by one of his defense attorneys, Thomas Bergstrom.

CNN: After decade in storage, Washington letter on religious freedom will go public
After sitting in storage for nearly a decade, George Washington’s signature statement on religious liberty will go on display this summer in the city where freedom of religion was enshrined in the Constitution: Philadelphia. America’s first president wrote the letter to a Jewish congregation in Newport, Rhode Island, in 1790, assuring American Jews that their freedom of religion would be protected. The document will go on display this summer for the first time since 2002 in an exhibition at Philadelphia’s National Museum of American Jewish History.

CNN: Mixed reactions around church whose pastor’s anti-gay rant went viral
Just about everyone here is talking about the local pastor who made national headlines this week after a video that features him telling congregants how to “get rid of” gays went viral. Neighbors of the Providence Road Baptist Church – where a sign advertises “old time religion” – say Pastor Charles Worley is known for being over the top, with one neighbor describing him as “fire and brimstone” whose views are out of sync with much of the surrounding community.

Tweet of the Day:

Enlightening Reads:

Religion News Service: Does love last longer in arranged marriages?
Several religions practice arranged marriages. Hindu and Jewish matchmakers abound, for instance. But rarely does it rise to the level of dogma. Unificationists believe that marriages arranged through the church and blessed by Moon are “sinless” and foster the kingdom of God on earth, one happy family at a time.

The Jewish Daily Forward: Agudath Israel: Abuse Claims Go to Rabbis
An Orthodox parent whose child tells him he’s been sexually abused may not take that child’s claim to the police without first getting religious sanction from a specially trained rabbi, the head of America’s leading ultra-Orthodox umbrella group has told the Forward.
But one year after acknowledging that no such registry of trained rabbis exists, Rabbi David Zwiebel said that his group has now dropped the idea of developing one.

Religion News Service: Muslims to gather to combat anti-Shariah movement
Some 15,000 Muslims are expected at this weekend’s 37th annual convention of the Islamic Circle of North America in Hartford, where the theme of "Defending Religious Freedom: Understanding Shariah" reflects the worry that anti-Muslim activists are fanning fear of Islamic law to marginalize U.S. Muslims.

The Salt Lake Tribune: Mormonism 101? Hatch plans book to explain his LDS religion
Orrin Hatch apparently is poised to pen a “tell-all” book — all, that is, about the Mormonism he knows and loves. Hatch — Utah's senior U.S. senator who faces a Republican primary rival next month and, if he prevails then, a Democratic foe in the fall in his bid for a seventh term — plans to take up the challenge of explaining his faith to outsiders in the new volume, An Insider's Guide to Mormon Beliefs.

Quote of the Day:

What happened in Munich in 1972 strengthened the determination to the Olympic Movement to contribute more than ever to building a peaceful and better world by educating young people through sport practices without discrimination of any kind and in Olympic spirit.

International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Jacques Rogge, in a letter denying requests for a moment of silence at this year’s Olympics to honor the victims of a 1972 terrorist attack that targeted the Israeli team. Read more here.

Join the conversation…

CNN: Video of North Carolina pastor's plan to 'get rid of' gays goes viral
Video of a North Carolina pastor preaching that gays and lesbians should be rounded up inside an electric fence is going viral on the Internet, two weeks after North Carolina passed a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage and President Barack Obama voiced personal support for legalizing such marriages.

- CNN's Laura Koran

Filed under: Uncategorized

1. Оборудование из Китая

I'll immediately clutch your rss as I can not to find your e-mail subscription hyperlink or newsletter service. Do you have any? Kindly allow me understand so that I could subscribe. Thanks.

July 9, 2012 at 2:02 pm |
  2. "Atheism is not healthy," "just sayin," and "pervert alert" are all the same poster

--formerly known as herbie
    --also hides behind numerous other names on here
    --stinks up the place with his dull-witted and uncreative trolling
    --is a moron who truly does not understand that he is a moron
    --do not give this moron the attention he craves. it's bad for him and bad for us.
    Have a Great Day!

May 24, 2012 at 10:36 pm |
    • just sayin

Nice theory... prove it. God bless

May 25, 2012 at 5:12 am |
    • just sayin

Nice theory... prove it. God bless.

May 25, 2012 at 5:13 am |
    • just sayin

What? All fluff and no substance? No proof ! Looks like you're a loser trying to divert attention from your own failings. God bless

May 25, 2012 at 9:22 am |
  3. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things

May 24, 2012 at 8:02 pm |
    • Jesus

Prayer doesn’t not; you are such a LIAR. You have NO proof it changes anything! A great example of prayer proven not to work is the Christians in jail because prayer didn't work and their children died. For example: Susan Grady, who relied on prayer to heal her son. Nine-year-old Aaron Grady died and Susan Grady was arrested.

May 29, 2012 at 11:21 am |
  4. yaddi yaddi yaddi

For Christians Who Want To Leave, here is the process:

12 Step Recovery from Christianity
    1. I admit that I am powerless to change the fact that I have been Christian for a good part of my life.

2. I realize that I have within me the power to free myself from the harmful part of my Christian past and that I am no longer bound by promises or covenants which I was induced to make based on the false promises of Christianity.

3. I make to myself a firm promise to listen in the future only to reason, rationality, and factual evidence in making decisions about how I should live my life, rejecting all emotional appeals, guilt-inducing threats, myths, pretty stories, promises of castles in the air, and supersti.tion.

4. I make a searching and fearless moral and intellectual inventory of myself with the purpose of recognizing in myself those weaknesses which induced me to remain Christian for so long.

5. I am able to list the specific reasons why I can no longer be Christian.

6. I make the decision to do what is right, and to accept whatever the consequences may be for acknowledging the lies and living accordingly.

7. I begin working through each of my Christianity-related problems of mind, body, and relationships.

8. I make a list of those for whom it would be important to know of my decision and the changes I am making in my life, and prepare myself emotionally to discuss my decision with them all, realizing that many may react with hurt, anger, emotional outbursts, or other unpleasantness.

9. I discuss my decision with them (except in those cases where I think it would cause greater harm to do so than not) in a calm, friendly and loving way, without argument.

10. I continue to take personal inventory, and where I find artifacts of Christianity, I carefully consider whether they should continue to be a part of my life, or whether I should discard them.

11. I seek out truth wherever I can find it.

12. Having had an awakening and renewal as the result of these steps, I try to be helpful to other recovering or doubting Christians, and to practice these principles in all of my affairs.

May 24, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
  5. Nancy

From Google Translate, he said: Stankozavr ltd – equipment without intermediaries, direct deliveries from Qingdao, China. Extruder, extrusion line PP, PE, PVC, injection molding machines, auxiliary equipment, equipment for processing wood, crushers, mills, pots for recycling tires, rubber, foundry equipment, sand blasting and shot-blasting (shot blasting, drobemety) equipment, film production, bitumen waterproofing, boilers, Curing, vulcanizing presses, lathes CPU (CNC machines), the guillotine

May 24, 2012 at 11:38 am |
  6. Bo

Coward !

May 24, 2012 at 7:44 am |
  7. Stankozav

Станкозавр ltd – оборудование без посредников, прямые поставки из Циндао, Китая. Экструдеры, экструзионные линии PP, PE, PVC, термопластавтоматы, вспомогательное оборудование, оборудование по переработки древесины, дробилки, мельницы, котлы для переработки шин, резины, литейное оборудование, пескоструйное и дробеметное (пескоструи , дробеметы) оборудование, оборудование для производства пленки, битумной гидроизоляции, котлы, вулканизаторы, вулканизационные прессы, станки с ЦПУ (CNC станки), гильотины.
    Stankozavr.com

May 24, 2012 at 4:41 am |
    • Ting

No thanks for now, but the next time I'm in the market for a lathe I'll look you up.

May 24, 2012 at 5:05 am |
    • Bo

Coward ! Say that in English. Like: are you afraid someone is going to punch you in the nose?

May 24, 2012 at 7:49 am |
    • hmmmmm

do you have any mast.urbatory jackhammers? My wife could use a good pounding.

May 24, 2012 at 9:22 am |