home
RSS
Why is obscure Bible verse from Exodus trending on Twitter?
Rapper Pusha T, far left, has a song out that takes its name from a verse in Exodus.
May 24th, 2012

Why is obscure Bible verse from Exodus trending on Twitter?

By Eric Marrapodi, CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

(CNN) - It’s not every day a Bible verse lights up social media, but a relatively obscure verse from the Hebrew Bible - what Christians call the Old Testament - was trending on Twitter worldwide Thursday.

The verse, Exodus 23:1, offers this admonition: “You shall not spread a false report. You shall not join hands with the wicked to act as a malicious witness.” (New Revised Standard Version)

It comes in a section following Moses’ bringing the Ten Commandments down from Mount Sinai. "Exodus 23:1" also is the title of a new song from rapper Pusha T, which may explain why it’s trending.

In the song, Pusha T aims verbal barbs at someone who he says wronged him. Hip-hop websites have speculated that that someone is fellow rapper Drake.

“Beef is best served like steak/well done/get a gun in your face,” Pusha T raps in the song, which makes no mention of the Bible verse but which certainly channels its spirit.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

And the rapper cited the verse Thursday when he tweeted: "Do not spread false reports. Do not help a wicked man by being a malicious witness." That’s the New Living Translation of Exodus 23:1.

The Book of Exodus tells the story of the Israelites fleeing from bondage in Egypt, wandering in the desert in the years before they reach Israel. Exodus 23:1 comes not long after the story of God’s parting of the Red Sea so that the Israelites could escape, a tale that established Moses as a hero.

After Moses returns from Sinai and delivers the Ten Commandments, he goes on to explain God’s laws in greater detail. The laws dictate how the Israelites are to function as a society, regarding everything from property rights to the conduct of annual festivals.

Gallery: Bible verses and pop culture

“This verse is understood by the rabbis to mean two separate things,” Rabbi Shmuel Herzfeld from Ohev Sholom, the National Synagogue in Washington, wrote in an e-mail to CNN, referring to Exodus 23:1.

“The great medieval commentator Rashi understands the first half of the verse to mean: ‘Don't accept a false report or malicious rumors about someone,’ ” the scholar said. “Other commentators say the first part of the verse means don't spread false rumors.

“The second part of the verse has a slightly different meaning. It means: ‘Don't convince another person to join with you and offer false testimony,’” Herzfeld wrote, noting that Jewish law requires two witnesses for testimony to be heard.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

O. Wesley Allen Jr., an associate professor of homiletics and worship at Kentucky's Lexington Theological Seminary, said that Exodus 23:1 is among several verses in which “God dictates to Moses instructions that in different ways unpack and expand upon elements of the (Ten Commandments).”

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Bible • Music

1. YBP

I am trying to decide if religion is most like a blindfold, a straightjacket, or a wrestler that has the believer in a choke-hold, cutting off the oxygen to his brain.

May 24, 2012 at 1:38 pm |
    • rjp34652

Actually its a lot like RESTRAINT that keeps a lot of us from wringing your pompous neck.

May 24, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
    • Kafkawasright

How very "christian" of you.

May 24, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
    • Jonah

Yeah, RIP sounds just like the typical christian conservative right winger. Very violent, quick to judge, and doesn't practice what he loves to preach. What an a$$hat.

May 24, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
    • I believe

(YBP) Use common sense. You are useing what GOD gave you free will to choose. I come to the conclusion and this is just how i feel (1 Person) non believers in christ like to blackmale believers. We come to non believes with hope and love peace and equality, they dont accept, we tell them christ loves you no matter what they call US (believers) fools for wanting to walk with christ by following his PERFECT example. THe mintue we act like what the world acts like (if we get mad, say we gon hurt something) they say /How very "christian" of you/ But when you witness to them the whole time they say you wrong. the Minute we flip they try and remind us of/ How very "christian" of you/ thats the game. Non believe need Believers BECAUSE we are the only ones they can go to an let there anger out against an yet we still love them. YOU SHOULD BE THANKFUL JESUS IS LOVE. Cuz america honestly, if slaves didnt have jesus to believe in an his message of love. We grandchildren would take this country over with violence and vengeance. But because christ lives you got messangers like DR (which means you went to school and u certified) King.

SO you tell me should i seek vengeance. Or follow christ an love my fellow brothern. -I CHOOSE CHRIST- MY GOD's NOT DEAD HE IS SURLEY, SURLEY, SURLEY ALIVE AN HE'S LIVEN ON THE INSIDE ROARING LIKE A LION

May 24, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
  2. KWPrice

Exodus 23:1 comes not long after the story of God’s parting of the Red Sea so that the Israelites could escape, a tale that established Moses as a hero. <--–Neither a ‘story’ nor a 'tale'.

Those Words are the True and Inspired Word of God – not stories or fictionalized as the author's words imply. To treat them as anything else, implicitly or tacitly, is to violate the admonition of the mentioned verse.

KWPrice
    Romans 1:16

May 24, 2012 at 1:38 pm |
    • JohnQuest

KWPrice, Seriously, you can't believe that stuff is true (that it actually happened the way it is written) can you?

May 24, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
    • Yeah, actually it is

Umm, yeah it is a tale. If you believe in the bible as a historical account of real events, you need to get your head checked. Just ask the talking snake.

May 24, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
    • Ira

Some stories are true. That doesn't stop them from being stories.

May 24, 2012 at 1:56 pm |
    • HeavenSent

KWPrice, remember, non-believers have no eyes to see nor ears to hear His truth. They follow the wells without waters.

May 24, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
    • Kafkawasright

The entire bible is fiction. Your argument is moot.

May 24, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
    • EasyPeasy

" Seriously, you can't believe that stuff is true (that it actually happened the way it is written) can you?" - It is so logical that if there exists a God that anything can happen. You can't seriously believe that if there is a God that created the universe, that he would just not be capable to allow a donkey to speak, or whatever. If he set up the rules of physics, He surely can change them for His purpose (as Jesus demonstrated).

May 24, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
    • Rob- Texas

While every event in the Bible can not be historically verified. Many can, and more acheology is descovered every day. So to say it is all a tale or all fiction is ignorance on your part.

May 24, 2012 at 5:39 pm |
  3. rjp34652

HEY WRAP that verse up in a pretty box and sent it to Washington, DC.

it's me again, hollering from the choir loft...

May 24, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
  4. Mike

Obscure only to someone who doens't know anything about the Bible.
    Like the author of this article.

May 24, 2012 at 1:34 pm |
    • momoya

So every single person who "understands the bible" considers this verse non-obscure?? hmmmm there's a fallacy somewhere in there.. 🙂

May 24, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
  5. Mike Scott

People pretend to be "Christians", but are hypocrites.

May 24, 2012 at 1:33 pm |
    • tiredteacher

Everyone is a hypocrite, silly. That is WHY we need a Savior.

May 24, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
    • rjp34652

Judge not that you be not judged – hypocrite.

it's me, hollering from the choir loft...

May 24, 2012 at 1:38 pm |
    • HotAirAce

That may be why *you* need a saviour, but I have no need or desire for one. I might need to work on being a better person, but no god needed or wanted!

May 24, 2012 at 1:38 pm |
    • Peggy Munro

May 24, 2012 at 4:44 pm |
  6. Dzionist

It is good to serve God IN TRUTH AND IN SPIRIT

May 24, 2012 at 1:31 pm |
    • James PDX

Oh, good. I'll find a flawless lamb and you get the ritual altar and fire ready for the sacrifice. This will please God because he loves the smell of scorched flesh.

May 24, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
    • rjp34652

Hey James;

What's wrong with scortched flesh?

It's the Big Weekend and I'll bet a number of people will be enjoying a meal of scortched flesh. What'll it be? Chicken, tube steak, hamburger?

I'll be hollering and chewing from the choir loft...

May 24, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
    • Sophia

Evidently you haven't studied the New Testiment, Jesus was the last sacrifice.

May 24, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
  7. tiredteacher

Doesn't matter whether you "believe" or not. Every knee is going to bow. Every tongue is going to confess. Yes, that means you as well, but I wouldn't want to be in your shoes on that day. You're in love with yourself, and jealous of a God who absolutely will not be mocked and will not lose. And, yes, I realize I am the person you guys love to hate. So what. I will gladly take that burden. You know, when I really can't stand something, I get as far away from it as I can, ignore it, and absolutely refuse to substantiate its worth by talking about it. Your constant stream of hate toward Christianity proves one thing–you most certainly do believe in Christ. We were all told to expect your arrival, and, here you are. Go ahead. Hate some more. Blah, blah, blah.

May 24, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
    • tnfreethinker

I'm so glad you're wrong.

May 24, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
    • Kafkawasright

Science has shown that religious belief is nothing more than a synaptic state in the brain. Evolution, evolution, evolution.

Despite the irony, I'm kinda wishing your so called "Rapture" was real and not a boogeyman control the masses story, then I wouldn't have to listen to these delusional ramblings.

May 24, 2012 at 1:38 pm |
    • Mattski

Sounds good. Keep it up. You're free to kneel before whatever tribal fetish you favor.

May 24, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
    • Jonah

If you'd like to get on your knees in front of me, I'm game. Let's stop will all the false premise and just get down to bidness!

May 24, 2012 at 1:40 pm |
    • tiredteacher

To tnfreethinker,
      Do not be deceived. Look a little deeper, my friend. Please, look a little deeper. You were not placed on this earth for just a car, a house, some kids, a job, then a grave. Look deeper.

May 24, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
    • Commenter

tiredteacher,

"Every knee shall bow..."

Since there is not a shred of evidence that this will actually occur, you are spreading a false report.

Keep your unverified supernatural threats and promises out of government and public policy and we will not need to keep watch over you.

May 24, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
    • A Serpent's Thought

tiredteacher,

The road less traveled has few travelers upon it. Only on few occasions does one pass by! mostly going the opposite way! Tired and without rest does the traveler endure! Rest will come upon the journey's end!

May 24, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
    • tnfreethinker

TiredTeacher....I overcame the deception. So can you. So sorry your life is about material possessions. Mine is about helping others in this life, as it is the only one I will have. You too, whether you believe it or not.

May 24, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
    • Kafkawasright

Keep waiting for something greater and you will miss that which is right in front of you. Live in the here, the now, the real – not hanging on the fiction of an afterlife. We are our own gods. There is nothing else but the real. I have looked deeper and the truth was revealed. You, however, don't want to look beyond a fairy story.

May 24, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
    • Rob- Texas

Kafkawasright- You may be brainwashed by the CNN anti christian/pro gay marriage brigade of articles.
      The article that ran was a joke. Just look at the sample size. Science hasn't shown anything. However, CNN loves to run articles like that so that anyone who doesn't question the articles will believe it as fact. CNN also like to run headlines that don't even match up with the story. So those who just see the headline think the headline is fact. Make sure to question what you read, anywhere, espeically CNN.

I did a random sample of 30 people and 29 of them show that when they read their brain falls alseep. Its must be the same for the other 6 billion people on the planet.

May 24, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
    • Kafkawasright

I've read the studies, and I read more than CNN. We are entering a new age of enlightment because of this science.

Unfortunately, there are those who will continue to cling to the dark ages and fairytales. The bible is in the wrong section in the bookstore, it should be moved to Science Fiction.

May 24, 2012 at 2:01 pm |
    • Sophia

Commenter,
      There are no threats or promises made in the government to do with religion, remember we separated them so that you would be able to make comments openly as you are doing, "Freedom of Speech", separation of church and state. There is definately no need to watch over we who believe.

A Serpent's Thought,

There is not journey's end, we will have life eternal...

May 24, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
    • Commenter

Sophia,
      "There is definately no need to watch over we who believe."

Apparently you have not heard about:

- "In God We Trust" on public money
      - "Under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance
      - Campaign to teach Christian creationism in public schools
      - Campaign to deny gay people a public marriage contract
      - Public, government backed National Prayer Day

Just the top ones that pop into my mind right now...

May 24, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
    • HeavenSent

tiredteacher, I enjoy your posts.

Amen.

May 24, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
    • Rob- Texas

Kafkawasright- Then it seems like you would know that there are not studies that show the two to be definitely related. Just like studies that may show that being Gay is due to a hormone imbalance in the womb. There is not clear study because some show that it could and some show may not. Unless test everyone one or a majority of the 6 billion people on earth, you can make the hypothesis all you want but that is all it will ever be.

May 24, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
    • I believe

Your committ makes me shout praises to heaven i believe. and im going to sing until the whole world hears I am Black man in America And i listen to klove. I come from the streets and i listen to klove everyday. im not perfect but my JESUS is. 10 commandments he gave me to follow and ill do so. and ill fight the powers of darkness everyDAY. its as simple as this you either love Christ or you are possed by the prince of darkness.

May 24, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
    • griz5106

You are wrong about that. I bend a knee to no person or god. I worship nothing. I believe in me, my family, friends and things that I can see, feel, hear and smell.

May 24, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
    • HeavenSent

griz5106, staying in the carnal mindset does not allow you to comprehend Jesus' spiritual truth.

May 24, 2012 at 10:08 pm |
    • Sunnylovetts

Don't worry, It says in the good book that we will be persecuted in the end days, and the love of many will wax cold.

June 11, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
  8. tdiamond

Do not bare false witness...the verse is one of the Ten Commandments, not that obscure unless you have never heard of the Ten Commandments.

May 24, 2012 at 1:26 pm |
    • Jonah

I agree. I wouldn't want you to bare it either.

May 24, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
  9. ReligionIsBS

I wonder if he'd quote that garabage book if he knew what Exodus 21:20 says.

May 24, 2012 at 1:21 pm |
    • guest

Your point? Exodus 21:20 essentially teaches that a slave's life is just as valuable as the master's.

May 24, 2012 at 1:54 pm |
    • ReligionIsBS

No, it gives directions on how to beat your slaves. Im assuming you are ok with that.

May 24, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
    • HeavenSent

ReligonisBS, I notice all those that rebel against Jesus quote what happened to the unrighteous folks in scriptures. Too funny. Christians that follow Jesus' spiritual truth about life and the hereafter, never complain about said scriptures because we know that Jesus teaches us His spiritual truth about life and the hereafter including subject, content, righteous or unrighteous outcomes.

May 24, 2012 at 10:16 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Translation of HS's bullsh1t into English: I am better than you are and I am going to Heaven so I can laugh at you while you roast on a spit in Hell.

May 24, 2012 at 10:19 pm |
  10. Chris

"“You shall not spread a false report. You shall not join hands with the wicked to act as a malicious witness.” (New Revised Standard Version)"

Funny because this pretty much describes the bandwagoning that happens when big court cases go to trial(IE Zimmerman and Casey Anthony). People judge and say "they did it" without even hearing the evidence. Just more christian hypocrisy

May 24, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
    • Jack

Your example would be an assumption as oppossed to a "falsehood".

May 24, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
  11. shiloh

There is nothing "trendy" about anything in the Bible.

May 24, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
    • Todd

Including the name "shiloh"...

May 24, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
  12. on StreetWise

Exodus 23:1... Tell that to Karl Rove!

May 24, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
  13. foreignerinaforeignland

I wonder if they mean for this verse to kind of go hand in hand with the whole "don't snitch" culture.

May 24, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
  14. lizzy

LMAO @ Spangler

May 24, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
  15. Pheadrus

Now, if we can get the Christians to adopt Matthew 6: we'll all be better off –

“Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven."

May 24, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
    • kc

Maybe thinking about heeding your own words before you speak?

May 24, 2012 at 1:26 pm |
    • Pheadrus

Actually kc, I'm not the one advocating the Bible as the inviolate word of some omniscient sky pixie. I am an atheist, which means I don't have to be a hypocritical Christian Apologist. I assume you are a believer and I assume you accept the bible as Holy Truth. That being the case, read Matthew 6 thru 6:8 and take heed...

May 24, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
    • guest

I think you seriously misunderstand that passage and its context.

May 24, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
    • Pheadrus

Yeah, guest, I get that a lot. Apologists have had a couple thousand years to develop excuses for passages that get in the way of today's customized Christianity, conflicting science and downright nasty, uncivilized stuff.

Yeah... I get it a lot...

May 24, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Pheadrus, it comes down to staying humble as you read His spiritual truth regarding Life and the hereafter. Keeping your ego going full steam ahead is erasing God out (EGO).

May 24, 2012 at 10:20 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, this is rich. HS abjuring others to be "humble", all the while bragging about herself as the Queen of Christian Truth.

May 24, 2012 at 10:21 pm |
  16. Bob

Who gives a rat's _ _ _ what is "trending"

May 24, 2012 at 1:12 pm |
    • Mick

Right...enough with that stupid word already.

May 24, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
  17. swaf

Why is this a "relatively obscure verse from the Hebrew Bible"? All it means is to not conspire, lie and or spread false information. I dont get why bible haters are so against the bible, they cant deny that doing good and not doing bad is an excellent moral code. Unless,.... they like doing bad and not doing good, then I can see it, maybe thats what its all about with them?

May 24, 2012 at 1:06 pm |
    • Lilith

Perhaps because this concept and moral code do not originate from the bible. The problem is not with the bible as a book, just with the idea that it is where morality comes from or that it is somehow divinely inspired.

May 24, 2012 at 1:10 pm |
    • Tommy Thompkins

I was thinking the same thing – this is hardly an obscure Bible verse!

May 24, 2012 at 1:13 pm |
    • JohnQuest

Because in that same book of Moral Codes it also tells you to go and kill every man, woman, and child in all the places you want to settle (I think the name for that is Genocide).

May 24, 2012 at 1:13 pm |
    • WASP

@swaf: i guess we have a disagreement. i don't understand why religious people require a reward/punishment system to encourage them to be good people...........and even then they fail. i have known since i was a child; i don't want my stuff stolen, so i don't steal; i don't want to die so i don't kill.......etc etc etc. so exactly why is it i can be a better person without religion than most people are with religion?

May 24, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
    • BRC

@swaf,
      They don't mean obscure as in difficult to understand (it is very simple and one of the few times when I will admit the bible is putting forward a good idea). They obscure in that it is not often referenced. Which is true, and a fairly benign statement.

May 24, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
    • James PDX

swaf, I'm sure part of the problem also lies in the Bible portraying God performing great acts of violence and evil as well. People do not want to get their morality from a contradictory source. Most want their leaders, whether they be human or divine, to not be of the "do as I say, not as I do" variety.

May 24, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
    • shiloh

Doing good does not require a bucolic, bronze age religion that far more often advocates god-sanctioned genocide and other equally atrocious crimes against humanity. When is the modern world going to wake up and realize that choices about morality and ethics are not bound to idiotic, anthropomorphic deities? We, alone, are responsible for our actions in life. It's time to realize we have evolved beyond the need for gods and goddesses.

May 24, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
    • Rob- Texas

Lilith- Just because it is in the bible doesn't mean that it wasn't given to the Hebrews as God's laws. I am sure there were other peoples that beileved eating pork was bad, and that you need a rest. Just because something has been show to exist before the Hebrew bible was written, doen't make the connection to God invalid. We know so very little about Ancient mankind, we all sound like idoits trying to state what they knew or didn't know. The human race can bearly remember what it was like 20-30 years ago, much less 1000's of years ago.

May 24, 2012 at 1:57 pm |
    • HeavenSent

shiloh, there are too many people walking around in society that don't, and never will, take responsibility for their thoughts and actions, never mind dumping the outcomes they produce onto others who are in their lives at those times ... forcing others to pick up the pieces.

May 24, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
  18. lizzy

Why is ignorance so popular!-

May 24, 2012 at 1:06 pm |
    • swaf

become we are naturally corrupt

May 24, 2012 at 1:07 pm |
    • swaf

err because we are natually corrupt

May 24, 2012 at 1:07 pm |
    • James PDX

I don't know. Wait, does that make me ignorant? Oh, well, at least i'm popular now.

May 24, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
  19. Peter

Is it just me or does it seem that more atheists read the CNN Belief stories than people that actually believe?

May 24, 2012 at 1:05 pm |
    • Lilith

Somebody has to keep things real around here!

May 24, 2012 at 1:07 pm |
    • swaf

Its strange that people that are against something are so into that thing they are against

May 24, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
    • JohnQuest

swaf, you mean like the Church and H-omose-xuality?

May 24, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
    • Frank

We have morbid fascination with people who believe in talking snakes, flat Earth, zombies, dinosaurs lived with humans, etc. We also fear what y'all are doing to the dumbing down of society.

May 24, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
    • WASP

@swaf: nah we get our kicks by teasing those that still believe in santa. ROFLMFAO. nah but seriously i read all the articules on cnn, i just take more time reading the comments on the belief blog.....the thing i find funny is when a christian gets on the science blog with no understanding of science then tries to sound educated until he gets called out on it , then they start shouting about hell and how we are all going to go there. lmfao

May 24, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
    • James PDX

Game, set, and match to Mr. Quest.

May 24, 2012 at 1:22 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Frank, of course, you've got it backwards. Non-believers buy into lies of liars that stroke their egos ... is what is dumbing down society. Oh, that stroking of one's ego ... works each and every time. Christians call it the sin of Pride which is the sin that corrupted Lucifer aka satan that you love and blindly follow.

May 24, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
    • Bizarre

HeavenSent:
      "Oh, that stroking of one's ego ... works each and every time."

If your belief is that a super-duper, all powerful, really, really smart guy loves YOU and wants to spend eternal bliss with YOU because YOU are so special, that is the epitome of PRIDE and EGO! Get real.

May 24, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
    • 0G-No gods, ghosts, goblins or ghouls

HeavenScent, the lies started with "god says...", then progressed to "jesus says..." and contine with "HeavenScent says...". What *you* call lies and liars is a righteous attempt to correct religious lies.

May 24, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Bizarre, I'm still waiting to read the atheists' bible when you rip off Jesus' truth, call it by another name and claim it as your own. Until then, you folks are all over the place of what you think you know.

May 24, 2012 at 10:25 pm |
    • HeavenSent

OG-no, Jesus wrote about the likes of you in Proverbs 14:5.

May 24, 2012 at 10:27 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

No, HS, what you are REALLY waiting for is a great big d!ck. Too bad there isn't a person who has one that would be interested in your sorry twi@t.

May 24, 2012 at 10:28 pm |
  20. Spangler

"Did ye not know it is character which is judged and love is never a sin?' HoeMowErectus 2:14

May 24, 2012 at 1:04 pm |
    • tgroove

never? if an adult "loves" a little child, is that sin? May be love to the adult, but the rest of us have another name for it.

May 24, 2012 at 1:15 pm |