home
RSS
Battlefield chaplain’s war unfolded on many fronts
Army chaplain Darren Turner, left, wound up quitting the Army for a spell after returning home from Iraq.
May 26th, 2012

Battlefield chaplain’s war unfolded on many fronts

Editor’s note: CNN.com writer Moni Basu is author of “Chaplain Turner's War,” published by Agate Digital.

By Moni Basu, CNN

Atlanta, Georgia (CNN) - Darren Turner insisted on going to war, even though the Army usually reserves desk jobs at home for new chaplains like him.

Turner was young and green, enthusiastic about taking God to the battlefield. The Army captain had learned that people in pain are often wide-open to inviting God into their lives.

Jesus always ran to crises. Turner was going to do the same.

He’d enrolled in seminary in 2004 at Regent University in Virginia, founded by evangelist Pat Robertson. And early in his spiritual journey, he was inspired by Christian writer John Eldredge, who suggests that American men have abandoned the stuff of heroic dreams, aided by a Christianity that tells them to be "nice guys."

God, says Eldredge, designed men to be daring, even dangerous.

Turner arrived in Iraq in May 2007 with the 1st Battalion, 30th Infantry Regiment amid a raging insurgency. His soldiers faced an invisible but lethal enemy in booby-trapped houses and roads laced with massive bombs.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Chaplain Turner’s war would unfold on many fronts. He would be a soldier on the battlefield. A counselor behind closed doors. He was a friend, even a father, to his men.

And when his 15-month tour was over, Turner returned home to face all the problems he had counseled his soldiers about: anger, depression, stress and – most important for him – preserving relationships with loved ones.

Nearly 4,500 American troops died in the Iraq war. More than 30,000 more were physically wounded. Countless others live with scars that can't be seen, like post-traumatic stress syndrome and traumatic brain injury. Many have struggled with regaining their lives at home.

Darren Turner counsels a soldier inside a sleeping container at Patrol Base Hawkes, southeast of Baghdad.

Turner had recognized the needs his soldiers would have after witnessing the horrors of combat, after losing friends.

In Iraq, he had comforted and advised soldiers at Forward Operating Base Falcon, in southeastern Baghdad, and in the combat outposts around the villages of Arab Jabour.

Preparing clergy for war: How chaplains train for combat

At Falcon, the Army provided a morale phone that allowed soldiers to make free 15-minute calls home. But Turner knew it wasn't enough. He carried a cell phone in the left shoulder pocket of his uniform and whipped it out whenever a soldier signaled domestic distress at home.

"Call her," he would say. "Call her now and tell her you love her."

When they returned to Georgia in the summer of 2008, Turner told his soldiers that their families would be their cushion. He knew his men were suffering; that the ghosts of Iraq would haunt them, maybe for the rest of their lives.

What he did not know then was that he would not himself be immune to the same threats. He neglected to heed his own advice and his life floundered.

I’d spent many weeks with Turner in Iraq for a story in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, but I didn't know about his troubles until I drove up to meet him and his wife, Heather, earlier this year at Fort Campbell, Kentucky.

An exhausted Darren Turner catches a nap at his desk inside his tent at Forward Operating Base Falcon near Baghdad.

On that rainy February day, Turner told me that he’d come back from Iraq and felt like the bomb defuser in the movie "The Hurt Locker," who goes into a grocery store and is overwhelmed by the mesmerizing variety of cereals.

Remembering the fallen: Learn about casualties

It was a lot to process after having few choices in Iraq. Reverse culture shock.

"I wanted everything in there but I wasn't sure what to buy," Turner said.

He also detected a lack of public concern for the men and women fighting overseas. Off post, people went about their lives without a real understanding of the sacrifices made by American service members.

At first the anger boiled inside. But then it began to surface. He took it out on Heather. It was a release so that he could keep his work as normal as possible.

Little things like arranging the dishwasher became big fights with Heather. Big things like Heather’s life plans became small issues that Turner mocked or discounted because they did not fit his own plans.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

"I came home angry," Turner told me. "Even my attitude, which I thought I was in control of, was walling me in. I didn't realize it until my wife told me, 'You're no longer welcome in our house.'"

During the deployment in Iraq, Turner had pined for Heather and his three young children, Elie, Sam and Meribeth. Now, he was losing them.

"The thing I was angry at was the very thing I was longing for during my deployment - my family," he said.

Heather said her husband was disengaged, impatient. She wanted them to seek counseling but Turner refused, insisting that she was the one who had issues.

Just a few months after his return from Iraq, Darren and Heather Turner separated.

“I was very selfish and tried to control my surroundings, which crushed those closest to me,” Turner said.

Turner eventually realized how much he had hurt his wife, he said. How he had stepped away from God's calling by failing those he cared about most.

After finishing Airborne School, he quit the Army in August 2009, believing the military would demand too much time away from his family at a critical juncture in their lives.

He took a job in sales at a Home Depot not far from his house in Dacula, Georgia. He struggled to mend his marriage and reconnect with his faith.

Four months later, Turner and his wife reconciled. He chose to return to the Army as a chaplain, he said, "a renewed man both in marriage and profession."

He and Heather found their calling. God, he said, gave them a special connection with soldiers and their families. They know they will stay busy for a while.

The U.S. mission in Iraq ended on December 18, 2011, as the last American soldiers climbed into hulking trucks and armored vehicles at Camp Adder, the southernmost base in Iraq.

The war, however, is sure to continue on a second front - in America's cities and homes. And in the offices of counselors and chaplains like Darren Turner.

Turner reminisces about Iraq often, and when I saw him at Fort Campbell, he told me he wrestled with mixed feelings on the day America's military presence ended. He hopes that, in the end, the war will have been worth the blood that was spilled.

Another war, the one in Afghanistan, is far from over, with casualties mounting every month. Today, Turner counsels soldiers serving there. His words, honed from experience, are more specific now.

Get Skype, he says.

Perhaps it's not what a soldier expects to hear from a man of God. It’s certainly not the stuff of Sunday sermons.

But it's practical advice that Turner knows will go a long way toward filling the emotional vacuum. He believes distance from one’s own family can trigger a breakdown, especially when a soldier is coping with injuries and combat stress.

"Being away from your family for that long is way more difficult than I anticipated," Turner said.

Skype, he discovered, is the next best thing to being at home. You can't feel someone or smell them but you can see and hear.

"That's two of the senses," he said. "That's exponential."

Turner’s pastoral passion is still driven by the force that first drew him to the chaplaincy: Jesus.

Everyone has faith in something, Turner said. His own conviction is that Jesus answers longings in the human heart and provides perspective. Beyond immediate emergencies, the larger story is one of hope.

“He's been there on the other side, and came back to tell us,” Turner said. “That's the biggest event in human history, something that maintains hope, even in battle. When soldiers get that, it changes everything.”

Turner said he may not have been God’s perfect messenger, but that his selfish choices do not negate God’s love.

Turner is thankful for that. And that he can carry on with his calling.

- Moni Basu

Filed under: Christianity • Military

soundoff (2,230 Responses)
  1. Nabquobamicib

Vzj Hbp Yzo itSM http://www.lovelvjp.com/ Nu EQuy Ots azsat ルイヴィトン アウトレット Nx BoG HuH mnJf http://www.kireierumesu.com/ Cf KbZ Lsp okemz エルメス 長財布 YvD orHZ n ggOY http://www.onlineguccijp.com/ jkDL u jvAL jdRM GUCCI 財布 NpR dmKP t mdOY http://www.shopcoachja.com/ ssOX p ihOQ bxST コーチ アウトレット WcM vzXH l isQh http://gucchiinyichiban.com/ cqKR y Btw itsup グッチ 財布 レディース Pt ZeQ XcZ eoJq http://nihonkaruteie.com/ Ez SgY XeY lsNJ カルティエ 店舗 OvbOpa MxnRef MvcCvo muGH http://www.lvninki.com/ Pa Lbp Aei wlphd ルイヴィトン 財布 ZbL neGU d vwXp http://www.situyavitone.com/ uqOD f fkTt nfKl ルイヴィトン 財布 新作 2013

April 9, 2013 at 11:54 pm |
  2. Pabitra

I hope that you will have tremendous fonture in this new endeavor. I, like Erika, also like to peruse your blog regarding the Atlanta market. Good luck to you!

November 8, 2012 at 3:14 am |
  3. Antonio

Wow! Talk about a posting koncking my socks off!

October 7, 2012 at 4:58 pm |
  4. best proxies

Great paintings! This is the type of info that are meant to be shared around the web. Shame on the seek engines for now not positioning this submit higher! Come on over and talk over with my site . Thanks =)

September 24, 2012 at 7:29 am |
    • Kuba

Hi KarenWhat great timing, or was seomone watching over you? :) Now I have a host of hymns in my head. As a matter of fact I have had "Oh Happy Day" in my brain for about a week now. Is God calling? LOLCarl's Jr. makes Low Carb burgers now?-Carly

November 8, 2012 at 11:59 am |
  5. Kyla

tomorrow is either the beninging or the end, but I didn't realize the double meaning in that. Because you're right, and beninging and end translates to Alpha and Omega and God has been in this from the beninging, and he will be there at the end. You guys have blessed us all so much (including you tiny Abigail and no one believes what your daddy said about pooping!) I just want to thank you SO MUCH for sharing with us your journey and letting us be witnesses to your Christ centered lives! We love you all, thank you so much! My church is praying for you all!

September 7, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
  6. Bernardus

Wow, I am really thkaufnl for the way you broke down what it means to come to Him as little children! It's always been something I knew and could understand but never really put into words! Thank you for sharing!!

September 7, 2012 at 1:12 pm |
  7. Jyoti

Ross u r too cute we had a blast at the show and on the crsuie hope to see u on the new york crsuie Maybe u will remember my husband and me and our 2 boys from the crsuie and when ant invited us into his room for i asked for a pic it was guys nite .

September 6, 2012 at 7:24 pm |
  8. Tim

August 29, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
  9. Oregon Alley Cat

The funding for military chaplains needs to be cut, post haste. The military is not a religious organization and public moneys paying a clergyman's salaries is the quintessential violation of church/state separation.

August 4, 2012 at 1:46 am |
    • Tiff

I hear what you are saying, but most times it is the clergy who are the only on-site counceling that is offered in combat zones. Counceling that is much needed to try to prevent the huge mental issues that coem with many returning vets.

August 27, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
    • Nate

I agree with you. Throughout my 14yr Army career I've been disappointed with the devisive nature of them towards those with differing religious views.
      Tiff – where I was deployed they had Psychologists on the ground; it is unfortunate if some areas have only Chaplains available. The challenge with Chaplains are their conflict of interest. I say this because I have experienced first hand their conflict of interest their religious views pose when they choose to insist that my beliefs were invalid vice remaining an objective "all religious views are okay" supporter that most of us think they are supposed to be. Hopefully that's not all the Chaplains, but from my experience and from the frightening cases you can read about on the Military Religious Freedom Foundation website, one can see that the problem is more than just a few bad apples.
      They should trade in Chaplains for more Psychologists/Psychiatrists...as they are the answer for more 'Objective' Mental Health support.

October 24, 2012 at 7:56 am |
  10. Track

I have to show my thanks to the wtreir just for rescuing me from this type of condition. Right after searching through the world-wide-web and coming across basics which are not pleasant, I figured my entire life was done. Being alive minus the answers to the issues you have resolved as a result of the posting is a crucial case, and the kind which may have in a negative way damaged my entire career if I had not encountered your blog post. Your personal know-how and kindness in playing with the whole lot was important. I am not sure what I would have done if I hadn't discovered such a point like this. It's possible to at this time relish my future. Thanks a lot very much for the reliable and results-oriented guide. I won't hesitate to propose your web page to anybody who would like direction about this issue.

June 29, 2012 at 12:18 am |
    • PAUL

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7OXdkKZ-0k&w=640&h=390]

July 11, 2012 at 9:18 pm |
    • Isamu

Thank you for this very informative ariltce. You have made sense of this topic by writing unique, original content. It's easy to read, engaging and smart. Articles of this caliber are few and far between.

November 10, 2012 at 1:14 am |
  11. Toma Joel

Thus says The Lord concerning that which is obvious, a warning made plain, which shall go greatly unheeded by those with veiled heads: This is but the first of many things, which men in the churches have built up in their pride, that shall be struck!...

For they build themselves up for show, a false goodness...

Foolish servants, who forsake the poor and the needy,
    In favor of the praises of men...

FALSE GLORY! Says The Lord in His jealousy.

For their works are perverse in My sight, and their words contemptible. Therefore, because they have robbed Me, I will rob them. I will tear them in pieces, with every foundation collapsing... No wall shall be left standing... And they shall become as those, whom they have forsaken. And they shall no more preach from their finely-crafted pulpits, standing tall among all their expensive ornaments, broadcasting lies with all their purchased devices.

I am The Lord!...

I will not share My glory!...

Neither shall they pollute My name, anymore!

Behold, all these great churches of men,
    Who have accomplished great gain in the world,
    Shall become the offscouring among the nations...

Says The Lord.

June 24, 2012 at 9:41 am |
  12. mandarax

Why the hell is our tax money being spent to support evangelizing to our troops? It's an outrage.

June 23, 2012 at 2:50 am |
    • Zheryn

Congrats on the new move. I switched firms a copule of years ago and it was a difficult decision. My new firm has been great.I enjoy reading your blog to brainstorm of the Atlanta market.

September 9, 2012 at 3:06 am |
    • Nate

agreed my friend – tell your congressman! Commands still cover for discrimination posed by Chaplains, claiming it is their 'freedom of religion' to do so....umm not really, if their purpose is to serve in a government capacity – it should be done Objectively – for all....but unfortunately it is not.

October 24, 2012 at 8:01 am |
  13. kindness

I Follow Christ . I never wanted proof. I just had faith.

HE WHO follows Me, walks not in darkness,” says the Lord (John 8:12). By these words
    of Christ we are advised to imitate His life and habits, if we wish to be truly enlightened and
    free from all blindness of heart. Let our chief effort, therefore, be to study the life of Jesus
    Christ.
    The teaching of Christ is more excellent than all the advice of the saints, and he who
    has His spirit will find in it a hidden manna. Now, there are many who hear the Gospel often
    but care little for it because they have not the spirit of Christ. Yet whoever wishes to understand
    fully the words of Christ must try to pattern his whole life on that of Christ.

What good does it do to speak learnedly about the Trinity if, lacking humility, you
    displease the Trinity? Indeed it is not learning that makes a man holy and just, but a virtuous
    life makes him pleasing to God. I would rather feel contrition than know how to define it.
    For what would it profit us to know the whole Bible by heart and the principles of all the
    philosophers if we live without grace and the love of God? Vanity of vanities and all is vanity,
    except to love God and serve Him alone.

This is the greatest wisdom—to seek the kingdom of heaven through contempt of the
    world. It is vanity, therefore, to seek and trust in riches that perish. It is vanity also to court
    honor and to be puffed up with pride. It is vanity to follow the lusts of the body and to desire
    things for which severe punishment later must come. It is vanity to wish for long life and
    to care little about a well-spent life. It is vanity to be concerned with the present only and
    not to make provision for things to come. It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not
    to look ahead where eternal joy abides.
    Often recall the proverb: “The eye is not satisfied with seeing nor the ear filled with
    hearing.”1 Try, moreover, to turn your heart from the love of things visible and bring
    yourself to things invisible. For they who follow their own evil passions stain their consciences
    and lose the grace of God.

See for yourself. You will be on a battlefield for christ

June 18, 2012 at 5:59 pm |
    • Nate

Umm – we're not fighting Holy-Wars... We fight under the flag of our government (USA) ... don't be confused on this – it makes a BIG difference.

October 24, 2012 at 8:04 am |
  14. steama

God, war and religion. All are very backwards and sick social structures.

June 15, 2012 at 2:15 am |
  15. YBP

christians=misinformed
    remedy=education

look into it

ask why

June 15, 2012 at 12:59 am |
  16. Great Caesar's Ghost

Change is Coming....

June 14, 2012 at 3:55 pm |
  17. kindness

This is my experience... Thank you.

MY personal testimony.
    A thought to consider without an ego response

Accept Jesus christ as your lord and saviour. You never know how soon is too late. Transcend the worldly illusion of enslavement.
    The world denounces truth....

Accepting Jesus Christ (for me) resulted in something like seeng a new colour. You will see it .....but will not be able to clearly explain it to anyone else..... Its meant to be that way to transend any selfism within you.

Also... much the world arranges "surrounding dark matter into something to be debated" in such a way that protects/inflates the ego.

The key is be present and transcend our own desire to physically see evidence. We don't know anyways by defending our own perception of dark matter.

Currently.... most of us are constructing our own path that suits our sin lifestyle. Were all sinners. Knowing that we are is often an issue. But both christians and non are sinners.

We don't like to Let go and let god. We want control to some degree. This is what Jesus asks us to do. "Follow me".
    It's the hardest thing to do... but is done by letting the truth of scripture lead you (redemptive revelation)... as I said .

Try reading corinthians and see if it makes sense to you. Try it without a pre conceived notion of it being a fairy tale.
    See the truth...
    do we do what it says in todays society... is it relevant... so many have not recently read and only hinge their philosophy on what they have heard from som other person...which may have been full of arogance pride or vanity..

Look closely at the economy ponzi, look at how society idolizes Lust , greed , envy, sloth, pride of life, desire for knowledge, desire for power, desire for revencge,gluttony with food etc .

Trancsend the temporal world.

Just think if you can find any truth you can take with you ....in any of these things. When you die your riches go to someone who will spend away your life..... You will be forgotten.... history will repeat iteslf.... the greatest minds knowledge fade or are eventually plagerzed..... your good deeds will be forgotten and only give you a fleeting temporary reward . your learned teachings are forgotten or mutated..... your gold is transfered back to the rullers that rule you through deception. Your grave will grow over . This is truth .

Trancsend your egoism and free yourself from this dominion of satan. Understand you are a sinner and part of the collective problem of this worldly matrix... Repent.... Repent means knowing (to change) The Holy spirit (within) will convict you beyond what you think you can do by yourself. Grace is given to those who renounce the world. That are" in" the world but not "of " the world.

Evidence follows faith. Faith does not follow evidence..... Faith above reason in Jesus Christ.

Faith comes by Reading or Hearing the word of god from the bible . Ask Jesus in faith for dicernment and start reading the new testament... You will be shocked when you lay down your preconceived notions and ....see and hear truth ... see how christ sets an example ... feel the truth....

Read Ecclesiastes. Read corinthians.

You cant trancend your own egoism by adapting a world philosophy to suit your needs. Seek the truth in Christ.

Sell all your cleverness and purchase true bewilderment. You don't get what you want ....you get what you are in christ.

I promise this has been the truth for me. In Jesus christ .

Think of what you really have to lose. ...your ego?

Break the Matrix of illusion that holds your senses captive.

once you do . you too will have the wisdom of God that comes only through the Holy Spirit. Saved By grace through Faith. Just like seeing a new colour.... can't explain it to a transient caught in the matrix of worldly deception.
    You will also see how the world suppresses this information and distorts it

You're all smart people . I tell the truth. Its hard to think out of the box when earthly thinking is the box.
    I'ts a personal free experience you can do it free anytime . Don't wait till you are about to die.. START PUTTING YOUR TREASURES WHERE THEY REALLY MATTER >
    Its awsome and It's just between you and Jesus

my testimony

Romans 10:9

"If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved

June 14, 2012 at 3:47 pm |
    • YBP

Jesus was a figment of St Paul's imagination. He turned it into big business. Mitt Romney would have been proud. Look into it.

June 15, 2012 at 1:01 am |
    • Athiest Turned Soldier

Thank you for sharing. When we accept Jesus He opens our eyes to see beyond earthly things. Joy and peace fill us where we didn't even know we were empty.

2 Corinthians 13:14
      2 Corinthians 5:21

August 2, 2012 at 6:02 pm |
  18. billybob

Does this chaplain pray for the enemy? I hope so, if not he is not giving 100%. God loves all of his creation correct? To incorrectly assume he loves just USA is completely wrong and ignorant. Chaplains are the biggest scam in the military.

June 13, 2012 at 7:37 pm |
    • YBP

There are no gods. Never were.

June 15, 2012 at 1:01 am |
  19. Jack

Hello everyone. If you have some time, please visit my web site... thestarofkaduri.com

June 13, 2012 at 1:59 pm |