home
RSS
My last conversation with Ray Bradbury
Ray Bradbury grew old but he never grew up. The late author radiated joy.
June 6th, 2012

My last conversation with Ray Bradbury

By John Blake, CNN

The voice on the other line was slurred and halting.  My childhood hero, I realized, was nearing the end of his life.

“Hello, Mr. Bradbury,” I shouted into the phone, so loud that one of my colleagues sitting nearby raised his eyebrows.

The call was supposed to be professional. I had called Ray Bradbury’s daughter to tell her that I wanted to write about a different side of her father: What did this science fiction giant think about God and the afterlife?

But that request was a smokescreen. I just needed an excuse to talk to the man whose books and stories had enriched my childhood. Would he be as fun to talk to as he is to read, I wondered?

Overheard: What CNN.com readers are saying about Bradbury

He was better than I imagined. In more than 20 years of journalism, I have never encountered anyone quite like him.

Bradbury, who died at 91 Tuesday night, is already earning plenty of tributes. The author of classics such as “Fahrenheit 451” and “The Martian Chronicles” was one of the last living links to an era in early 20th century America in which children got lost in stargazing or pulp magazines like “Weird Tales” instead of video games.

There was something magical about Bradbury that went beyond his stories. Talking to him was like taking a Happy Pill. I had a loopy smile on my face hours after talking to him. I felt as if I had hitched a ride on a red balloon floating to the stars.

Part of it was his joy and spontaneity – he overflowed with both. It seemed to give him courage in his art and his life.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

“I don’t think about what I do. I do it,” he told me. “That’s Buddhism. I jump off the cliff and build my wings on the way down.”

Then there was his boyish wonder. He sounded like a kid eating chocolate ice cream for the first time. He even lived like a boy until the very end, surrounding himself with stuffed dinosaurs and tin robots in a Los Angeles home painted dandelion yellow in honor of his favorite book, “Dandelion Wine.”

Most of us can relate to the effect children have on adults. Even the grumpiest expressions on adult’s faces evaporate when they see a child giggling and playing. It doesn’t matter if they know the child or not.

Talking to Bradbury made you smile. We only talked about 30 minutes because his stamina wouldn’t allow more. There was no guile or calculation in anything he said; he just felt it - and expressed it.

Here was a man who, upon meeting Walt Disney, said, “Mr. Disney, my name is Ray Bradbury and I love you.” Here was a man who was married 56 years to his muse and late wife, Maggie. Here was a man who loved to eat, laugh and sometimes open his books at night and cry out thanks to God because he was so grateful for his career.

I wanted to tell Bradbury how “The Martian Chronicles” had inspired me when I was in high school. I used to write wooden sci-fi stories and force my pouting younger brother to read them.

I never worked up the courage to tell him that, though. I suspect he heard plenty of tributes like that over the years.

But maybe the best tribute that can be paid to anyone is the reaction I had when I learned he had died. I didn’t feel sad. I smiled and thought, what a wonderful life.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

Bradbury never stopped stargazing. Near the end of our conversation, he told me that mankind would eventually have to follow his example. We would have to explore the stars because the sun would flame out.

“We must move into the universe. Mankind must save itself,” he said. “We must become astronauts and go out into the universe and discover the god in ourselves.”

I like to think Bradbury is now taking that journey. Liberated from his body, I can imagine his wide-eyed wonder as he hurtles past stars, comets and all the alien worlds he wrote about.

Somehow I think the man who jumped off cliffs and built wings on the way down is still soaring.

- CNN Writer

Filed under: Belief • Books • Culture & Science • Faith • God

1. A Serpent's Thought

Is God plausibly real? Is not the Cosmos of which our universe is held in going thru its' own evolution of randomized motion? That said then, is there not a Creator of the Cosmos wherein are innumerable clusters of universes being randomly set in motions each according to their own vibrations?

Our neck in the vastness of the Cosmos is 13 or so billions of years old as science so reveals. Are we of this universe just upon the fringes of the Cosmos where our universe was born first or was our universe born last in the creations of multi-universes? Maybe our universe was born in the middle of the grand Cosmos of all universes. Your guess is as good as mine!

Could this universe we find ourselves living in and upon a planet that is just at the right distances from a star and to be biospherically sound for the harborage of sanctioned life ergo, was God not the creator of our planet's ever evolved life tree of biology culminated with life forms called human beings?

I do not speak about biblical terminologies and do not need to be reminded about religious flaws. God is to me, beyond any mere mortals' book-knowledges and is found far away from "digitalized algebraic numeralities". God creatively evolved us out of and from the very first singular celled creation of His doing and slowly thru time evolved us into being what we now today are, which is human beings.

Creation is always evolving. The Cosmos is creatively evolving and morphing itself but we will never know what the Cosmos will become even if we were here trillions of years from now. The rate of our Cosmos creatively evolving is so very slow when compared to our body's creative morphology from conception to birth and finally to adulthood.

June 6, 2012 at 9:49 pm |
    • Dr. Kurt

As an agnostic scientist you raise many of the same thoughts I've had. Interesting our non-living universe is evolving without natural selection. What's behind that?

June 6, 2012 at 10:45 pm |
    • A Serpent's Thought

Dr. Kurt,

Our being entombed within a "living universe" within billions upon trillions of immeasurable universes all alive is beyond us mere mortals' under-estimating abilities. Who can say with much clarities that the grand Cosmos is full of life-living universes each one containing if not one but many planets capable of establishing and evolving life wherever possible in the grand sea of Cosmologic Orders? I see our Cosmos of infinitely numbered universes as having a purpose. Could this portion of Nothingness, being our universe in a Cosmos of innumerable universes be but a speck of singularism in the grand scheme of universal cosmologies?

Could our universe be but a single cellular structure in a greater being of living fundamentalism but on such an extreme scale to never be truly known let alone called by us as being a life form? Is it wise to claim life as being nothing more than cellularized embodiments of star dust swimming all around in watery substances?

Does not any universe within our Cosmos move about upon an unknown substance we call "dark matter"? Could not this "dark matter" be quite similar to our body's watery substances? The similarities regarding spatial dark matter and our body's watery substances can be mind-numbing!

June 6, 2012 at 11:21 pm |
    • Jill

Serpent, don't obfuscate the primary prenuptials with rasberries. Often, the pertinent cat presents fabled necessities in the parking chamfer. Realize your net precedent.Triangulate! Save the best for the alligators. Ever the bastille notches the orchestra but Wendy is not green and horses will capitulate. Filter out the log from the turnstile and cry prevalently.

And remember, never pass up an opportunity to watch an elephant paint Mozart.

June 7, 2012 at 3:49 am |
  2. Carlos Chino

Reblogged this on Carlos Chino.

June 6, 2012 at 9:40 pm |
  3. Jay W

Solid job, John. Anyone who ever had the pleasure of meeting Ray knew what a wonderful guy that he could be. Talking to Bradbury just made you want to pull out a keyboard and begin writing. What a wonderful life; what an unfortunate loss.

June 6, 2012 at 9:34 pm |
  4. jeff

VERY well written, and a heartfelt article. Nice journalism!! 🙂

June 6, 2012 at 9:23 pm |
  5. midnitejax

RIP Mr Bradbury. You have touched many lives with your words of wonder. I recall as a student in high school I was required to read Farhenheit 451 and hated the assignment. I reluctantly picked up the book and began reading the words. I was soon lost to the real world, and became an instant fan of reading books. Little did Mr Bradbury know that his Fahrenheit 451 would almost predict the future of books.Bookstores have fallen by the wayside, and libraries closed. Kids prefer video games over reading, and letting their imaginations flow with the pages.

June 6, 2012 at 9:11 pm |
    • sqeptiq

Most kids today have no acquaintance with imagination. It's sad.

June 6, 2012 at 9:17 pm |
  6. David

Asimov, Clark, Vonnegut, and now Bradbury. Now I'm just holding back the tears to avoid making an embarrassing scene at work.

June 6, 2012 at 8:19 pm |
  7. Mike

Bradbury was a brilliant writer and a funny man. He loved meeting readers and when I met him you could hear him laughing from the other end of the USC bookstore.
    When I finally got up to the table with my copy of 'A Graveyard for Lunatics,' he looked up at me and read my Corona t-shirt out loud.
    " 'Save water, drink beer,' I LIKE THAT!" he shouted with a laugh. He signed my book and shook my hand.
    I eventually dropped engineering to become a writer.

June 6, 2012 at 8:13 pm |
    • Dr. Kurt

Awesome story, love it!

June 6, 2012 at 10:46 pm |
  8. DMB, Atlanta, Ga

God speed, Mr. Bradbury. I was introduced to you in the 1960's by a gentleman who was a concentration camp survivor, who owned a small store around the corner from my apartment building. He introduced me to Piers Anthony, Ray Bradbury , Phillip K. Dick and Issac Azimov throught the pulp mags like Wierd Tales, Amazing Stories and the likes. I now have a library of over 900 and still counting books. I am 60 yrs old now, and I go back to those early paper backs and reread them when I can't find anything to sink my teeth into. Science Fiction gave me hope but also showed where the pitfalls could be. Nothing is ever black or white but sutile shades of gray. Thank you Mr. Bradbury for opening up the mind of a ten yr. old little girl in Brooklyn all those years ago.

June 6, 2012 at 8:07 pm |
  9. Ray Hewitt

Met Mr. Bradbury while I was at NASA/JPL. He was a delight. We attended the same High School (Waukegan High School in Illinois). He signed my old Yearbook: To Ray from Ray. Enjoyed every minute of our being together. Mr. Bradbury, thank you for your stories and your support of our Libraries.

June 6, 2012 at 7:53 pm |
  10. gingersrule1

Ray Bradbury was a good man. This article is a tribute to his life and doesn't need Christian responses spouting false truths in Jesus name. Truly Christians are the followers of Constantine and his followers and not of Jesus.

June 6, 2012 at 7:18 pm |
  11. M. LaRoux

My mother gave me the Illustrated Man and the Martian Chronicles for Christmas when I was thirteen. She told me: "These were my favorite books when I was your age." I felt a wonderful connection to my mother, knowing I was reading the same stories she was – and the author was still writing, too! Something about the boundless creativity and thought-provoking stories seemed all the more boundless when I knew the author was still alive, still writing. I admired his dedication to the craft, and how he seemed so uninhibited by age.

I went on to read Dandelion Wine, Something Wicked This Way Comes, The October Country and Fahrenheit 451 in the years that followed. All these books occupy a special section on my bookshelf – heck, I'm looking at their book spines right now as I type.

The day was a little less bright when I heard of his passing today. Soar on, Mr. Bradbury. You are and always will be one of my favorite authors.

June 6, 2012 at 7:07 pm |
    • steve

Wow the same thing happened with me and my mom. And of course, I went on to read the same books.

Thanks Ray!

June 6, 2012 at 9:06 pm |
  12. yikesboy

Kindness, I really would love for you and so many others who are so desperate to see things that aren't there, to remove your faith in what you cannot prove in the natural world. Supernaturalism of any kind is potentially dangerous for so many reasons. Here's my advice for what it's worth: Think don't believe. Question and when you find an answer, question that again. See the beauty all around you and know that when you're gone, you DON'T know what will happen to you, so treasure your time here. Treat all people with decency and respect – really hard to do when your faith consigns these 'non-believers' to unsavory ends and encourages you to proselytize.
    Mostly, look yourself in the face and say this: "I am enough, this natural world around me and all in it is enough, and I will make the best of my time here." Life is so much more beautiful without the Supernatural distraction!

June 6, 2012 at 7:03 pm |
    • ziggy2

"The heart has its reasons, which reason does not know. We feel it in a thousand things. It is the heart which experiences God, and not the reason. This, then, is faith: God felt by the heart, not by the reason." Blaise Pascal.

June 6, 2012 at 7:10 pm |
    • Chad

@yikesboy " is so much more beautiful without the Supernatural distraction"

But there's always that pesky data..
      – how was the universe created
      – why is the universe fine tuned for life's building blocks
      – how was life first created
      – why do species "wobble about the genetic mean" (remaining in stasis) for millions and millions of years then in a suddenly produced; flurry of complex and wonderful co-adaptations, produce a new species. Every single time??
      – Why was Jesus tomb empty?
      – why did so many of his followers and enemies report meeting a resurrected Jesus, a belief they held so strongly that they would all go to their death proclaiming it's truth?

I agree: Question and when you find an answer, question that again.

June 6, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
    • Answer

@Chad

How the universe was fined tuned for life? LOL

Look at the vast emptiness of space and how cold it is... go into space and have a look at all that emptiness. You're so funny.

June 6, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
    • Chad

The universe isnt fine tuned because we cant live in outer space..
      interesting.. cant figure out why this is the first time I have ever heard anyone make that argument.. seems so common sense.

I'll email krauss

June 6, 2012 at 7:38 pm |
    • Failure to communicate

Think about the statement again....

June 6, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
    • Really-O?

@Failure to communicate –

Ahh...FTC! Your still beating that dead horse?

June 6, 2012 at 7:44 pm |
    • Really-O?

"your" = "you're". DOH!

June 6, 2012 at 7:45 pm |
    • Chad

@Failure to communicate "chad, if the universe was fine tuned for life, there would life outside of earth."

I looked, but darn it.. I cant find that reason either..

All I could find was this : "Physicist Paul Davies has asserted that "There is now broad agreement among physicists and cosmologists that the Universe is in several respects ‘fine-tuned' for life".[2] However he continues "...the conclusion is not so much that the Universe is fine-tuned for life; rather it is fine-tuned for the building blocks and environments that life requires".[2] He also states that "... 'anthropic' reasoning fails to distinguish between minimally biophilic universes, in which life is permitted, but only marginally possible, and optimally biophilic universes, in which life flourishes because biogenesis occurs frequently ..."[2] Among scientists who find the evidence persuasive, a variety of natural explanations have been proposed, e.g., the anthropic principle along with multiple universes.

June 6, 2012 at 7:47 pm |
    • Really-O?

@Failure to communicate –

Just for fun, you may want to check out how your thread with Chad on here –

has progressed since you abandoned it...he's been getting span.ked by the forum. Enjoy.

June 6, 2012 at 7:48 pm |
    • Really-O?

And because nobody kicks the scheit out of "intelligent (stupid) design" better than Dr. Tyson...here you go –

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEl9kVl6KPc&w=640&h=360]

June 6, 2012 at 7:56 pm |
    • Failure to communicate

@Really-O

I tried, I really did, but that one statement was too ridiculous to go unanswered.

Chad

I'm sorry but how could anyone know this? The only planet we've found that we're fairly certain can support life is Mars, maybe. There are some moons around Jupiter and Saturn also that might but are too cold. As for the "habitable" planets that we've recently discovered are only habitable in the sense that they're in the goldilocks zone of their star. We also aren't sure what the building blocks of life actually are. Is it liquid H2O with a specific saline level? Does gravity have a key role? It's pretty ridiculous I think for anyone, scientist or no to claim with certainty anything about the universe when it involves life.

June 6, 2012 at 7:59 pm |
    • Failure to communicate

@Really-O

You're right! Chad is the black knight! "Tis but a flesh wound! I'll bite your legs off!"

June 6, 2012 at 8:02 pm |
    • Wrong!

100 dead because of atheism during WW2.

What's dangerous again?

June 6, 2012 at 8:23 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@Wrong!

What are you babbling about?

June 6, 2012 at 8:27 pm |
    • Chad

@Failure to communicate "The only planet we've found that we're fairly certain can support life is Mars, maybe. There are some moons around Jupiter and Saturn also that might but are too cold. As for the "habitable" planets that we've recently discovered are only habitable in the sense that they're in the goldilocks zone of their star."
      @Chad "oh, I completely agree.. I have no idea why the nobel prize winning physicists wouldnt have thought of that precise thing before saying that

======
      @Failure to communicate " We also aren't sure what the building blocks of life actually are"
      @Chad "No doubt they didnt realize that when they made that statement.."

June 6, 2012 at 10:04 pm |
    • A Serpent's Thought

yikesboy,

Kindness has shown us all a valuable part of belief. For you yikesboy to intice Kindness to throw away that which she/he clings so much upon is not very nice is it? Shame and lame,,, shame and lame,,, 😦

June 6, 2012 at 10:36 pm |
    • Born Again

In addition, Davies' assertion that "there is now broad agreement among physicists and cosmologists" that the universe is fine tuned for life, is nothing more than an unsupported assertion. Poll the members of the National Academy of Sciences who are physicists (hint: Davies is not a member) and I guarantee the consensus Davies asserts exists will evaporate.

June 6, 2012 at 10:47 pm |
    • Dr. Kurt

Give it a rest. Write your treatise how the universe was created and then you might have a basis to talk. You act like the truth has already been uncovered which makes you more like the religious zealots than you know.

June 6, 2012 at 10:48 pm |
    • Chad

@Born Again Chad is being dishonest again by using selective – and incomplete – quotation. Paul Davies has serious credentials, but keep in mind that he is also an apologist (deist, not christian). Chad also leaves out the second half of Davies' quote –
      "...the conclusion is not so much that the Universe is fine-tuned for life; rather it is fine-tuned for the building blocks and environments that life requires". Changes the essence of the quote, I believe."

@Chad "I did?

scroll up a bit...

what I said was ""Physicist Paul Davies has asserted that "There is now broad agreement among physicists and cosmologists that the Universe is in several respects ‘fine-tuned' for life".[2] However he continues "...the conclusion is not so much that the Universe is fine-tuned for life; rather it is fine-tuned for the building blocks and environments that life requires".[2] He also states that "... 'anthropic' reasoning fails to distinguish between minimally biophilic universes, in which life is permitted, but only marginally possible, and optimally biophilic universes, in which life flourishes because biogenesis occurs frequently ..."[2] Among scientists who find the evidence persuasive, a variety of natural explanations have been proposed, e.g., the anthropic principle along with multiple universes.

and my original statement was:
      – why is the universe fine tuned for life's building blocks

no worries, apology accepted 😉

June 6, 2012 at 10:54 pm |
    • Failure to communicate

@Chad

Oh nos! I disagreed with an expert! I must be wrong because no one should ever disagree with an expert, right? Also I still stand by my original argument, how is even the "universe" fine tuned for the building blocks of life? 99% of it is uninhabitable, so where in that 99% is it perfect for life? The wide array of space? The gigantic stars, black holes, nebulas?

June 7, 2012 at 1:57 am |
  13. Ben

Martin Chronicles?

June 6, 2012 at 7:02 pm |
  14. WoodsWitch

"Stuff your eyes with wonder ... live as if you'd drop dead in ten seconds. See the world.
    It's more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories." - Ray Bradbury

There is a man who knew how to Live.

June 6, 2012 at 6:59 pm |
  15. Volker Stieber

Your essay is beautifully written. I had the same response as you: "I didn’t feel sad. I smiled and thought, what a wonderful life."

June 6, 2012 at 6:58 pm |
  16. sherman

My favorite was Something Wicked This Way Comes. Dandelion Wine was my second favorite. and apparently no one ever really dies... god speed Ray.

June 6, 2012 at 6:44 pm |
  17. Kindness

For you.
    A thought to consider without a typical ego response

Accept Jesus christ as your lord and saviour. You never know how soon is too late. Transcend the worldly illusion of enslavement.
    The world denounces truth....

Accepting Jesus Christ (for me) resulted in something like seeng a new colour. You will see it .....but will not be able to clearly explain it to anyone else..... Its meant to be that way to transend any selfism within you.

Also... much the world arranges "surrounding dark matter into something to be debated" in such a way that protects/inflates the ego.

The key is be present and transcend our own desire to physically see evidence. We don't know anyways by defending our own perception of dark matter.

Currently.... most of us are constructing our own path that suits our sin lifestyle. Were all sinners. Knowing that we are is often an issue. But both christians and non are sinners.

We don't like to Let go and let god. We want control to some degree. This is what Jesus asks us to do. "Let go and let god".
    It's the hardest thing to do... but is done by letting the truth of scripture lead you (redemptive revelation)... as I said .

Try reading corinthians and see if it makes sense to you. Try it without a pre conceived notion of it being a fairy tale.
    See the truth...
    do we do what it says in todays society... is it relevant... so many have not recently read and only hinge their philosophy on what they have heard from som other person...which may have been full of arogance pride or vanity..

Look closely at the economy ponzi, look at how society idolizes Lust , greed , envy, sloth, pride of life, desire for knowledge, desire for power, desire for revencge,gluttony with food etc .

Trancsend the temporal world.

Just think if you can find any truth you can take with you ....in any of these things. When you die your riches go to someone who will spend away your life..... You will be forgotten.... history will repeat iteslf.... the greatest minds knowledge fade or are eventually plagerzed..... your good deeds will be forgotten and only give you a fleeting temporary reward . your learned teachings are forgotten or mutated..... your gold is transfered back to the rullers that rule you through deception. Your grave will grow over . This is truth .

Trancsend your egoism and free yourself from this dominion of satan. Understand you are a sinner and part of the collective problem of this worldly matrix... Repent.... Repent means knowing

Evidence follows faith. Faith does not follow evidence..... Faith above reason in Jesus Christ.

Faith comes by Reading or Hearing the word of god from the bible . Ask Jesus in faith for dicernment and start reading the new testament... You will be shocked when you lay down your preconceived notions and ....see and hear truth ... see how christ sets an example ... feel the truth....

Read Ecclesiastes. Read corinthians.

You cant trancend your own egoism by adapting a world philosophy to suit your needs. Seek the truth in Christ.

Sell all your cleverness and purchase true bewilderment. You don't get what you want ....you get what you are in christ.

I promise this has been the truth for me. In Jesus christ .

Think of what you really have to lose. ...your ego?

Break the Matrix of illusion that holds your senses captive.

once you do . you too will have the wisdom of God that comes only through the Holy Spirit. Saved By grace through Faith. Just like seeing a new colour.... can't explain it to a transient caught in the matrix of worldly deception.
    You will also see how the world suppresses this information and distorts it

You're all smart people . I tell the truth. Its hard to think out of the box when earthly thinking is the box.
    I'ts a personal free experience you can do it free anytime . Don't wait till you are about to die.. START PUTTING YOUR TREASURES WHERE THEY REALLY MATTER >
    Its awsome and It's just between you and Jesus

June 6, 2012 at 6:13 pm |
    • YeahRight

"A thought to consider without a typical ego response"

Your posts reek of ego so the rest of it is moot, especially since you keep posting this garbage over and over again. LOL!

June 6, 2012 at 6:47 pm |
    • sam

Stop copy-pasting this drivel on every article.

June 6, 2012 at 7:12 pm |
    • Answer

@Kindness

You need an anal probe and some good gel.

June 6, 2012 at 7:13 pm |
    • gingersrule1

I hate Christians who act like this. Jesus Christ wouldn't write all this crap about an article because someone is Buddhist. Jesus wouldn't have told Ray to accept him as God and worship him. There's a reason Jesus didn't write anything down. Its because of people like you who would twist his words to support what you want to believe. Don't you ever wonder why Jesus didn't write anything? Do you wonder about the hypocrites the Bible talks about in the end times and automatically consider yourself not one of them because of who you pray to? Grace isn't so you can live in this world. Grace is so you can live in his spirit and you are way off. Jesus told me so.

June 6, 2012 at 7:13 pm |
    • Aaron

Eff Jeebus!

June 6, 2012 at 7:25 pm |
  18. StandupforTruth

Lol, that is the problem. Faith is not entertainment.

June 6, 2012 at 6:11 pm |
  19. Kindness

Something For you.
    A thought to consider without a typical ego response

The world denounces truth....

See the truth...

Trancsend the temporal world.

Read Ecclesiastes. Read corinthians.

I promise this has been the truth for me. In Jesus christ .

Think of what you really have to lose. ...your ego?

Break the Matrix of illusion that holds your senses captive.

You will also see how the world suppresses this information and distorts it

Its awsome

June 6, 2012 at 6:03 pm |
    • David Motari

I'm aware of his work.

June 6, 2012 at 6:31 pm |
  20. Lol

His books were certainly a lot more thoughtful than the bible.

June 6, 2012 at 5:57 pm |
    • cynthia hicks

Bradbury was a MUCH better writer of fiction than the writers of fiction that came up with the bible...

June 6, 2012 at 8:16 pm |