home
RSS
Daughter's 911 call to report megachurch pastor is released
Audio from a 911 call from Creflo Dollar's daughter detailing what she said was an altercation between her and her father was released on Tuesday.
June 12th, 2012

Daughter's 911 call to report megachurch pastor is released

By George Howell, CNN

Atlanta (CNN) - With a calm voice and collected manner about her, a 15-year-old girl called Fayette County 911 to report that her father assaulted her. The call led police to the suburban Atlanta home of megachurch pastor Creflo Dollar and ultimately resulted in a night behind bars on Friday.

The audio from the phone call was released Tuesday.

“I just got into an altercation with my father. He punched me and threatened to choke me,” the girl told a 911 dispatcher. “Um, this is not the first time that this has happened. I feel threatened by being in this house. Um… I don’t know, I don’t know what can be done. But I’m scared, I’m shaking.“

Dollar publicly denied punching or choking his teenage daughter during Sunday service at World Changers International Church, but in the police report, he admitted emotions ran high very early Friday morning and he attempted to “restrain” his daughter when she became “disrespectful.”

In the 911 tapes, the teen explained to the dispatcher that her father attacked her because of grades and a dispute about a party that she wanted to attend.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

“It was a previous argument about me going to a party on Saturday. And he brought up grades and I started crying so I walked out the room to the kitchen with my sister. It was just me and my sister in the kitchen. He followed me while I was crying and he kept asking me why I was crying. And I said I do not want to talk to you. And he went off. That’s when he went off,” Dollar's daughter says on the tape.

According to the police report, an investigator also interviewed Dollar’s 19-year-old daughter, who backed up her younger sister’s account of what allegedly happened.

Megachurch pastor Creflo Dollar on his daughter: 'She was not punched'

In the 911 audio, the young victim explained that her father became increasingly aggressive.

“He came, he put his arm around my neck. Choked me and bent me over the table and I pushed him off of me and he threw me on the ground and punched me in my face. And this is going on for a good two, three minutes. Then my mom came in the room, and he stopped. And my mom asked him what happened, and he said I hit him first. Which is a lie,” she told the dispatcher.

Creflo Dollar's prosperity gospel finds followers and critics

Police took Dollar into custody and charged him with simple battery and cruelty to children.  Dollar told his congregation that this a family matter and also flatly stated, “I should not have been arrested.”

Dollar is a controversial pastor in the Atlanta area and is best known for preaching a prosperity gospel – a belief that the better Christian you are, the more wealth you will acquire.  His church claims 30,000 members, and he has a popular television ministry as well.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Church

1. Pavan

What matters is what the pridnseet does, not what he says.Recently he called for a ‘swift, co-ordinated and aggressive effort' to help the stricken people of Haiti.An Israeli field hospital from the other side of the world is now in place in Haiti doing a fully professional job.The fact that there is no American equivalent from much closer to home is distinctly worrying.

July 29, 2012 at 10:03 am |
  2. Bill Fitzgerald

What a fine example of what how not to follow the Savior. And he is a preacher of the word of God and how to folow the Savior to return to God?

July 11, 2012 at 9:27 pm |
    • Jon

I think that is the moral of the story. I am going no further though, as I do not think I should judge others either.

July 12, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
  3. dennis

time for them to get of out of my house... if I were him.. the 19 y/o putting it on the record too... time to go... if I can't run my house the way I see fit... time to get out of my house...

July 11, 2012 at 7:44 pm |
  4. Fladabosco

The term 'prosperity gospel' is hilarious and exactly on point. Just like 'jumbo shrimp' the words really don't belong together, if you are a Christian.

Jesus did not say 'if you feel like it you might consider selling some of your excess valuables' or 'if it makes you feel better put in an extra $20 when the preacher makes a sermon about hunger.'

And he certainly did NOT say that rich people will get into heaven. Anybody who can breathe knows the opposite is true. But it's more fun to believe the lie and acquire and acquire and acquire and don't do much for the poor because when Jesus said 'rich' he really meant 'super wealthy' and when he said, and I'm quoting my friend James here, "Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

No maybes. No 'unless you decide to interpret this differently.' Let's cut the bull. If you don't want to do what the bible says it's fine with me, as long as you don't lie about it or wave it in my face or raise billions of dollars to support politicians who will make you richer and more powerful.

I guess at least that would make you sort of similar to Jesus. The powerful stuff. Nothing else.

July 11, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
  5. The Woof

I can't judge Creflow and believer or not, nor can anyone as I do believe in "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." I see bad judgement on his part. He let his temper get the best of him at the wrong time and a lot of parents have done the same. As a parent he was looking at "you're making possibly bad grades and have the nerve to ask me about going to a party?' Then you have the gall to turn your back on me when I'm talking to you, the man that's providing for you and giving you just about all that you ask for and this is how you show your respect? What parent wouldn't have been a little peeved? Again, bad judgement on his part but I'm willing to bet better grades will occur and less worrying about parties.

July 11, 2012 at 11:35 am |
  6. basseydaniel

Now I'm sure she's happy reporting her Father. Well, I'm an African. We have different core values.

July 11, 2012 at 6:19 am |
  7. sharon

Actually, this story is only marginally about religion, and it certainly has nothing to do with wheter or not God exists. It's about a father's perceived need to control his daughter. No matter what religion he preaches, he (a male) believes that he has a right to do anything he wants in order to exert his will on his daughter ( a female) He's a messed up guy, and his methods suck. The galling thing is that he twists Christianity to justify his selfish choices and behaviors. Wish he'd been in jail longer.

July 10, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
  8. Daniel Cayman

The flying teapot told me to make more money...so all of you must send money now to me...

Paypal...account BS131313

July 9, 2012 at 1:12 am |
  9. ib42

In a perfect world , a cretin called dollar who preaches lies for personal gain, beats his daughter up and just breathes air which is wasted on him would be sent to Siberia for life and have his name changed to Boris.

July 7, 2012 at 4:08 am |
    • Mr. Amen

AMEN BROTHER, AMEN!!

July 9, 2012 at 1:18 am |
  10. Dan

Given that his 19 yr old (legal adult) daughter corroborated the younger daughter's story this guy has a serious legal problem.

July 5, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
  11. dan0

I am tired of religion and its excuse to aggressively single out women. Dollar, the taliban, they're all the same

July 5, 2012 at 7:42 am |
  12. dan0

wow there are 30,000 fools who follow this man

July 5, 2012 at 7:38 am |
    • kdd2010

dan0 yep there are about 30,000 of them. And they call themselve Christians. All they are looking for is "for the love money, money" remember that song?

July 5, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
  13. angie

im sure the school had a lot to do with! my kid said she was going to call cops!i pop her ass!! i helped her out i called cops!! i didnt go! he need to get the punk out of the house

July 3, 2012 at 8:55 pm |
    • Dan

Incoherent much?

July 5, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
    • shootmyownfood

I can see why she called – it would be very hard to hold a conversation with you.

July 6, 2012 at 6:52 pm |
    • Mike D

You shouldn't bother the police with your petty family squabblings.

July 10, 2012 at 11:39 am |
    • sharon

Really??

July 10, 2012 at 1:38 pm |
  14. Be Real

The problem with the 'prosperity' message is that it is
    1) not backed by scripture...
    2) once you proclaim this message, your whole life has to take on this perfect persona which is unreal & unsustainable
    3) your family ALWAYS suffers the most from this pretend lifestyle

July 3, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
    • Be More Real

The problem with this message is it is total BULLSH**

July 9, 2012 at 1:19 am |
  15. Professor Fairytales

Dear class, today we're going to study make believe stories about invisible people in the sky. Only you're so dumb, you think it's real.
    The test will be on tuesday, please bring your #2 pencils and scantrons.

July 3, 2012 at 11:44 am |
    • KJC

Actually, you can neither prove nor disprove the existence of God. Therefore, believing in either is an act of faith in something you cannot know for certain. The billions of people in the world who believe in a higher power are not all just "dumber" than you. For those interested in some coherent ideas for why we should put to test both our doubts in God and our beliefs in God, I recommend Tim Keller's "The Reason for God."

July 9, 2012 at 6:58 pm |
    • Bill Fitzgerald

The Sun, the stars the planets in perfect order, the human body, a tree, our exact distance from the sun to allow life,
      the Holy Ghost who testifies of God and our Savior and they have to me with great power, Thousands of people who have died and come back, the testimoniies of hundreds in the bible, The testimonies of Joseph Smith whom the appeared to, and all of the saints who have given their lives for the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. Need more examples? Hows this, ALL things denote their is a God in Heaven. Even this computer and all inventions and all good thoughts and actions!

July 11, 2012 at 9:33 pm |