home
RSS
June 12th, 2012

Pew survey: Doubt of God growing quickly among millennials

By Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) – The percentage of Americans 30 and younger who harbor some doubts about God’s existence appears to be growing quickly, according to a recent Pew Research Center survey. While most young Americans, 68%, told Pew they never doubt God’s existence, that’s a 15-point drop in just five years.

In 2007, 83% of American millennials said they never doubted God’s existence.

More young people are expressing doubts about God now than at any time since Pew started asking the question a decade ago. Thirty-one percent disagreed with the statement “I never doubt the existence of God,” double the number who disagreed with it in 2007.

Atheist organizer takes ‘movement’ to nation’s capital

When asked about doubts of God, no other generation showed a change of more than 2% in the past five years.

The survey found that the percentage of millennials who identify with a religion is remaining constant, while most other generations have seen religious identification increase in the past 10 years.

The findings about millennials and religion were part of a 168-page report that Pew released June 4 but were largely overlooked.

“Notably, people younger than 30 are substantially less likely than older people to say prayer is an important part of their lives,” the report said.

“Research on generational patterns shows that this is not merely a lifecycle effect,” it continued. “The Millennial generation is far less religious than were other preceding generations when they were the same age years ago.”

Atheist group targets Muslims, Jews with ‘myth’ billboards in Arabic and Hebrew

The findings are part of Pew’s 2012 American Values Survey, which touches on issues including political partisanship, gay marriage and abortion.

Despite the findings on millennials, the survey shows that the United States continues to be a highly religious nation, with most Americans identifying with a particular faith.

Seventy-six percent of all respondents said prayer is an important part of their lives and agreed that “we all will be called before god at the Judgment Day to answer for our sins.” About 80% said they have never doubted the existence of God.

The report points to a growing divide between the youngest and oldest Americans on belief, religion and social issues.

According to Jesse Galef, communications director for the Secular Student Alliance, the growth in “doubting” youths has led to a surge in secular student groups.

“For a lot of millennial atheists, they are expecting to find a group, they are coming to campus, and if they don’t find one, they are starting one,” Galef said. “This is completely different than what other generations grew up with.”

Atheist rally continues in spite of rain; students highlighted throughout

The Secular Student Alliance has affiliates on 357 American campuses, Galef said, up from 81 such affiliates in 2007.

Galef says the Internet has created a place for young people to discuss religious doubts.

“It enables anybody to have open discussions without fearing if their parents would find out or what their communities would say,” he said. "The more safe places we create for young people to discuss their doubts, the more they can inspire questions in others."

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism • Polls

soundoff (4,013 Responses)
  1. Preston

Hello friends, I have something that I wanted to bring to the conversation. I have been a Christian my entire life, and I have never felt so close to God. Throughout the course of my lifetime, I have come to Jesus, and have asked him to help me in a lot of different areas in my life (school, friends, stressful situations, etc.). Every time that I have asked him to help me, he has. He has never left me alone, and I have been able to live a fulfilling life through believing in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. I believe that Jesus Christ came down to die on the cross to save me from my sins, so that I can go to heaven someday. Any time that Jesus has not answered my prayers immediately, he has shown me his love by giving me something even better than what I asked for earlier. I am posting this, because I believe that through accepting Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, many can begin to live lives that are extremely blessed and wonderful! It is the idea that knowing that Jesus has prepared the kingdom of heaven for all Christians who believe in him that keeps me excited and motivated all the time! Jesus said “So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.” Jesus has done a lot of wonderful things for me in my life, and he has done a lot of wonderful things for other people in their lives. Come to Jesus when you have a concern, have faith, and you will be rewarded! Don’t be scared of having faith in Christ as Lord and Savior, be glad that he loved us all so much that he was willing to die for us, and that he is now willing to play an important role in our lives!

June 12, 2012 at 11:42 pm |
    • Dan W

Prayer does not make things happen, rather it allows for you to realize what it is that you need and begin the process of getting it. The creator is omnipresent, you are never alone, even in a cabin in a remote mountain range. Christians are cool, but they have forgotten that the most important relationship you can forge is one with the creator. Jesus is great and all, but I still go directly to the source, long live Yom Kippur, even though I'm not chosen.

June 12, 2012 at 11:47 pm |
    • manbearpig

Preston –
      Good for you. No, I don't want to buy into the same delusion as you have. Stop asking people to do so.

June 12, 2012 at 11:51 pm |
    • Just Claims, No Truth

Wow. I am so glad god blessed you...

He must really hate those kids who are suffering all over the world today

June 12, 2012 at 11:52 pm |
    • howart Dao

DW-40: nice too hear that there are more than 1 path to heaven 😉

June 12, 2012 at 11:54 pm |
    • Rick James

Preston, if you want to believe, then that is fine. But don't think that personal feelings that you may are evidence for your God. God is an idea that many humans share together, not a man that exists in the natural or even in the supernatural and we shouldn't assume that until we prove it. And not every man needs to pray to Jesus to have a happy life.

June 12, 2012 at 11:54 pm |
    • Preston

I believe that Jesus is the way to heaven. Prayer is something that is extremely pivotal to obtaining what you need in life and working to create a wonderful relationship with Christ. Everyone should come to Jesus and recognize him as Lord! It is the will of the Lord that everyone would come to know Jesus as Lord and Savior so that they may be able to go to heaven. Peace be to all of you!

June 12, 2012 at 11:57 pm |
    • Michael

@Just Claims – I know you haven't been looking for truth. I know you have a problem with religion, and perhaps rightly so. Our fellow men have used religion to serve their own purposes. All men have the potential to do evil things. Just remember this... Truth is sought, and ignorance is taught.

June 12, 2012 at 11:58 pm |
    • Dan W

Rick James – G-d is a human experience, no computer or equation is going to point Him out. The illusive proof that you require is unattainable through computations, recorded observations, statistics, or any other source of data. The link to the creator is 1-1, 1 human, 1 creator. He wrote the source code, what makes you think that we can crack it?

June 13, 2012 at 12:00 am |
    • Just Claims, No Truth

Michael,

You don't have any idea about what I have or have not looked for. Quit being a patronizing asshat. I am willing to bet I have looked far more into the validity of Christianity than you have because if you know it's history you wouldn't claim it is divine.

June 13, 2012 at 12:07 am |
    • Dan W

Everything in the universe is divine, it is only our inverted perspectives that lead us to believe things have the capacity to be ordinary.

June 13, 2012 at 12:11 am |
    • badlobbyist

Who's the one who keeps praying for all the tornados, floods, wars, famine, and generally bad things? If you are on this board, please stop it! The power of prayer is killing us!

June 13, 2012 at 12:12 am |
    • Dan W

Prayer only has the power to change one's own perspective and intention. Natural disasters occur because this world is transitory. The more we want to cling to things the way they are, the more the world will poke us with sticks to move forward. This world is an illusion projected from the spiritual world so that we can invert our nature from being self serving to altruistic.

June 13, 2012 at 12:15 am |
  2. Arthur Dent

There is hope for humanty after all!

June 12, 2012 at 11:39 pm |
    • Dan W

Nice play on hitchhikers guide. However, there is a creator.

June 12, 2012 at 11:41 pm |
  3. Dan W

It's always darkest just before the dawn. Science is the Rosetta Stone that reverse engineers how creation happened through the simple use of observation. But there's a million pieces in this jigsaw puzzle, and we haven't even finished the boarder yet, and we don't have a box to see the picture. A day will come when science and religion are one, though both will require correction when faced with the creator.

June 12, 2012 at 11:38 pm |
    • howart Dao

The creator is a SCIENTIST that is why he gave us a brain to think and reason beyond what seems obvious 😉

June 12, 2012 at 11:40 pm |
    • forgetaboutatleast

may the force be with you.

June 12, 2012 at 11:40 pm |
    • Just Claims, No Truth

Name one thing ANY religion has asserted as true that was later proven true by science....Just ONE

June 12, 2012 at 11:44 pm |
    • Dan W

There is a creator.

June 12, 2012 at 11:51 pm |
    • zeyn2010

When you say 'creator' do you mean the creator of the universe or the ancient alien theory's advanced beings who may have created us? And, how can we be sure there was one and all of this isn't random? Where is the proof of that?

June 12, 2012 at 11:57 pm |
    • Dan W

The Truth Is Out There. And if ancient aliens are some how in the mix, they too are part of creation. If the creator wanted there to be proof, there would be. We are on a path to learn how to better ourselves as individuals and as a society. This is all part of G-ds plan. How could there be a non-believer without a believer? How could there be shadows if there was no light to cast them? If you want to know G-d, seek Him out and never give up, never surrender along your path. Suspend your disbelief until the end of time, or until science figures it out, cause right now we are still in preschool as far as our understanding of the universe goes.

June 13, 2012 at 12:05 am |
  4. WSPIN132

I've witnessed God, not in the flesh, but in watching death and the almost deceased seeing something that is beautiful before their heart stops. I've also witnessed a man in Haiti regain sight, whose eyes were completely scaled over with white callous skin from years of blindness, all after he said a prayer with a pastor.

I'm just a normal dude but as I was looking at the day's news, I saw this article, and then read posts of people not believing in God. Hey, believe what you want. I don't have before and after pictures of the Haitian guy or the face of the lady as she passed away in the hospital. But if you think a bang and a crash in the cosmos somehow created this universe doesn't really sound intelligent at all. We're not supposed to know everything, but know this, God is real, and if you'll shush a while and seek him, you'll find him too. Not on a billboard, not as a man in a long white beard, but you'll hear his voice in your heart, and you'll never forget the moments He reveals himself to you.

June 12, 2012 at 11:38 pm |
    • Indiana J

thank you.

June 12, 2012 at 11:41 pm |
    • Just Claims, No Truth

I don't believe you. Your personal experience does nothing for anyone else, just a claim until you provide proof.

June 12, 2012 at 11:42 pm |
    • Michael

I too have witnessed those magical moments. I have a question for atheists... Why do you have the ability to search for a creator? Because he wants you to find him.

June 12, 2012 at 11:48 pm |
    • manbearpig

Michael –
      If you are going to ask a question, try for one that makes sense next time.

June 12, 2012 at 11:54 pm |
    • Kindness

I hear you.

June 13, 2012 at 12:05 am |
  5. forgetaboutatleast

i don't like christianity, but i don't mean to denigrate those who do. and for the people who like christianity, denigrate means 'put down'.

June 12, 2012 at 11:36 pm |
  6. jtruby

It\'s about time that people start to come to their senses – for generations religion was taught in such a way that kids had no choice but to believe not question anything about the existence of God.

Now people are seriously starting to question it because parents like myself who grew up in the 80s and 90s aren\'t pushing it on kids and this next generation see that God\'s existence is as likely as Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny, way to go human race!

June 12, 2012 at 11:34 pm |
  7. jtruby

It's about time that people start to come to their senses – for generations religion was taught in such a way that kids had no choice but to believe not question anything about the existence of God.

Now people are seriously starting to question it because parents like myself who grew up in the 80s and 90s aren't pushing it on kids and this next generation see that God's existence is as likely as Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny, way to go human race!

June 12, 2012 at 11:33 pm |
  8. Miriam

Little surprise, when CNN, and many books and TV series that conflate scientific method, findings, (both of whch I rsepect as a person employed in a scientific company), with unproven scientifc theories and non-theistic beliefs and present this to the undistinguishng American public as "science" .

Not since the early days of the Soviet Union has so great an anti-religious propaganda campaign been waged. CNN is no longer so much reporting the news her as again trying to shape it. I have rarely seen a "Belief" blog that shows so little respect for belief, unless of course the belief is materialistic monism.

June 12, 2012 at 11:32 pm |
    • Just Claims, No Truth

All you have to do is prove your faith is true.......

Oh....now I see your problem.

June 12, 2012 at 11:39 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Oh, quit whining. It's a two-bit news article. You know, words.

June 12, 2012 at 11:40 pm |
    • Steli S.

it’s actually OK to ridicule people who make ludicrous claims

June 12, 2012 at 11:54 pm |
    • manbearpig

Miriam –
      Walmart is not a "scientific company".

June 12, 2012 at 11:56 pm |
  9. martin

Just the moral disconnect of having sheep or a son killed to please some bronze age desert God was enough for me to become a very happy Atheist 40 years ago. TRUTH NEVER REQUIRES BELIEF

June 12, 2012 at 11:32 pm |
    • badlobbyist

Agreed. I'm about 99.99999% sure that there is no higher power. But if there is, I have an even harder time believing that he/she is the jealous and unstable god of the stories we currently have.

June 13, 2012 at 12:18 am |
  10. Rick James

Get two birds. Kill one. Dip the live bird in the blood of the dead one. Sprinkle the blood on the leper seven times, and then let the blood-soaked bird fly away. Next find a lamb and kill it. Wipe some of its blood on the patient’s right ear, thumb, and big toe. Sprinkle seven times with oil and wipe some of the oil on his right ear, thumb and big toe. Repeat. Finally find another pair of birds. Kill one and dip the live bird in the dead bird’s blood. Wipe some blood on the patient’s right ear, thumb, and big toe. Sprinkle the house with blood 7 times.

– Leviticus 14:2-52

I'm not sure that theists truly appreciate modern medicine, because they attribute any medical miracle to God, who proposed this very cure for Leprosy. The amount of cognitive dissonance they display is amazing.

June 12, 2012 at 11:31 pm |
  11. Colin

Dear Christians:

God here.

First, I do not exist. The concept of a 13,700,00,000 year old being, capable of creating the entire Universe and its billions of galaxies, monitoring simultaneously the thoughts and actions of the 7 billion human beings on this planet is ludicrous.

Second, if I did, I would have left you a book a little more consistent, timeless and independently verifiable than the collection of Iron Age Middle Eastern mythology you call the Bible. Hell, I bet you cannot tell me one thing about any of its authors or how and why it was edited over the Centuries, yet you cite them for the most extraordinary of claims.

Thirdly, when I sent my “son” (whatever that means, given that I am god and do not mate) to Earth, he would have visited the Chinese, Ja.panese, Europeans, Russians, sub-Saharan Africans, Australian Aboriginals, Mongolians, Polynesians, Micronesians, Indonesians and native Americans, not just a few Jews. He would also have exhibited a knowledge of something outside of the Iron Age Middle East.

Fourthly, I would not spend my time hiding, refusing to give any tangible evidence of my existence, and then punish those who are smart enough to draw the natural conclusion that I do not exist by burning them forever. That would make no sense to me, given that I am the one who elected to withhold all evidence of my existence in the first place.

Fifthly, in the same vein, I would not make about 5% of the human population gay, then punish them for being that way. In fact, I wouldn’t care about how humans have $ex at all, given that I created all of the millions of millions of species on the planet, all of whom are furiously reproducing all the time. Human $ex would be of no interest to me, given that I can create Universes. Has it ever occurred to you that your obsession with making rules around human $ex is an entirely human affair?

Sixth, I would have smited all evangelicals and fundamentalists long before this. You people drive me nuts. You are so small minded and yet you speak with such false authority. Many of you still believe in the talking snake nonsense from Genesis. I would kill all of you for that alone and burn you for an afternoon (burning forever is way too barbaric for me to even contemplate).

Seventh, the whole idea of members of one species on one planet surviving their own physical deaths to “be with me” is utter, mind-numbing nonsense. Grow up. You will die. Get over it. I did. Hell, at least you had a life. I never even existed in the first place.

Eighth, I do not read your minds, or “hear your prayers” as you euphemistically call it. There are 7 billion of you. Even if only 10% prayed once a day, that is 700,000,000 prayers. This works out at 8,000 prayers a second – every second of every day. Meanwhile I have to process the 100,000 of you who die every day between heaven and hell. Dwell on the sheer absurdity of that for a moment.

Finally, the only reason you even consider believing in me is because of where you were born. Had you been born in India, you would likely believe in the Hindu gods, if born in Tibet, you would be a Buddhist. Every culture that has ever existed has had its own god(s) and they always seem to favor that particular culture, its hopes, dreams and prejudices. What, do you think we all exist? If not, why only yours?

Look, let’s be honest with ourselves. There is no god. Believing in me was fine when you thought the World was young, flat and simple. Now we know how enormous, old and complex the Universe is.

Move on – get over me. I did.

June 12, 2012 at 11:27 pm |
    • CommonSense

I only read the first two sentences. God cannot not exist and write a message.

June 12, 2012 at 11:33 pm |
    • jezabel

amen bro!

June 12, 2012 at 11:36 pm |
    • Colin

Well "common sense", you showed me!

June 12, 2012 at 11:37 pm |
    • forgetaboutatleast

colin, you are cracking me up! i love it.

June 12, 2012 at 11:39 pm |
    • WachetAuf

The best, maybe the only, thing that we know about "God" is that he was a "creator". Very funny, creative stuff you have written here. Of course, we cannot know God very well, because he has been more like an absent father. He sowed his seed and abandoned us. Someone must step up and introduce us to him. Good job.

June 12, 2012 at 11:47 pm |
    • CommonSense

I also believe in dogma, I believe that God will reward those who live good lives. I could not believe in a God that punishes those for being born in a country where they have never heard in Christianity. I hope you understand that your points do not apply to all religions or Christians.

June 13, 2012 at 12:07 am |
    • CommonSense

Lastly, the complexity of the universe is what makes some people believe in God. At one point a grain of sand was the smallest know thing, then atoms, and quarks. There is so much we don't know and the universe works in suck beautiful precision that some find it hard to believe, like myself, that God does not exist. This is known as the watchmaker theory though. The idea that if you found a watch in the street working in perfect order (an old school mechanical watch), that there must be a "watchmaker.' It has pros and cons but the imagery is the important part.

June 13, 2012 at 12:11 am |
    • badlobbyist

CommonSense- God works in mysterious ways. (Man that's a great come back. Refute that!)

June 13, 2012 at 12:23 am |
  12. howart Dao

NOT doubt of God as a higher being that is rational, just, merciful but ABSOLUTE DOUBT about the god(s) presented by the extreme Xtians, Mzlims, etc : a god that will change to suit whatever reason, purpose conceived by a small group of men

June 12, 2012 at 11:27 pm |
    • Patrick:

Logical leap

June 12, 2012 at 11:29 pm |
  13. CommonSense

The sad thing is CNN posts this stuff for the clicks. The posts and replys add to the views, and advertising money. But people will argue for days, being mean to each other, not really discussing, but just insulting, being embarrassing as religious and not religious people. So in the end, people make the world worse, and CNN gets more money.

June 12, 2012 at 11:26 pm |
    • Just Claims, No Truth

And you just added to it.....I am sooooo disappointed in you.

June 12, 2012 at 11:35 pm |
  14. jezabel

fact: there is no god
    fact: science will never be able to find how man was created.
    from a true agnostic

June 12, 2012 at 11:25 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

"created?" Man evolved. It's fact. We're still evolving. Don't be silly.

June 12, 2012 at 11:35 pm |
  15. Colin

While I would not wish ill will on anybody, I am pleased that the old people who still believe in God are dying and that the new generation is much more open minded and skeptical. Such silly beliefs are a drag on progress.

June 12, 2012 at 11:25 pm |
    • CommonSense

I would like to see evidence, where in recent times, religion held up scientific progress. In my experience, science and religion are somewhat separate. Those who make scientific discoveries both believe and do not believe in God but are able to separate those ideals from their studies. The only thing I have seen, is that some physicists, when studying the complexity of the universe, believe that such things could not have happened by chance.

June 12, 2012 at 11:32 pm |
    • CommonSense

It seems to me that the selfish actions of the bankers that caused our current economic crisis were without God. I am not claiming that all that claim to be religious are good people, but just that true Christians and Muslims would not try to gain a quick profit at the sacrifice of a nation.

June 12, 2012 at 11:35 pm |
    • Colin

1. Constant attempts to prevent the teaching of evolution in school; 2. Denial that the human $ex drive, in its h.omo$exual manifestation, is genetic. 3. Believiing that a soul exists. 4. Pope JPII telling Stephen Hawkins he should not investigate the begining of tiem . A few quick examples.

June 12, 2012 at 11:36 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Science describes HOW something happens/progresses. Not WHY. That's for philosophies, which aren't for proving and can't be proven. God belief is a philosophy. When you have something to MEASURE in relation to your claims about god, you can demand that people believe. Until then, treat it like the philosophy it is and quit pretending you've got extra bonus points that mean people should treat your philosophy with more respect than any other philosophy.

June 12, 2012 at 11:37 pm |
    • Adam

Sir Isaac Newton

June 12, 2012 at 11:41 pm |
    • guest

George Bush banned embryonic stem cell research on religious grounds. Teachers in Texas were told to teach the "controversy" about evolution when there was none. Its not as bad as being stoned for saying heretical things, but religion is still slowing and fighting scientific progress.

June 12, 2012 at 11:47 pm |
    • CommonSense

As for 1, I agree. Creationism accepts evolution exists, but should not be taught in schools obviously. And 2, I support gay marriage and I am Christian. A church shouldn't have to recognize gay marriages but the courts should, with all tax breaks and whatever else goes with marriage included. For 3, I dont know why believing in a soul holds up scientific progress. And I haven't heard about 4, but I would doubt its authenticity, and if it did happen, I don't think telling a guy who investigates time and space not to do that, is very helpful.

June 12, 2012 at 11:58 pm |
    • CommonSense

@ Moby, I dont understand your argument. Atheists and Christians should respect each others beliefs thoroughly. However if you tell me sushi is tasty, I will tell you to get out of town. As you can see different beliefs have different weights.

June 13, 2012 at 12:01 am |
    • Steli S.

@ CommonSense: "I would like to see evidence, where in recent times, religion held up scientific progress. In my experience, science and religion are somewhat separate."

That's a myth. Read the recent Victor J. Stenger's “God and the Folly of Faith: The Incompatibility of Science and Religion”

June 13, 2012 at 12:02 am |
    • Steli S.

@ CommonSense: "true Christians and Muslims would not try to gain a quick profit at the sacrifice of a nation"

Not sure for any practical purpose how we can really define "true"
      Ever wonder why church organizations are so prosperous?

June 13, 2012 at 12:05 am |
    • Steli S.

@ CommonSense: "Atheists and Christians should respect each others’ beliefs thoroughly."

What does it mean to "respect"? I cannot be but amazed about what incompatible things some people manage to believe in. But I think we’re past the point of “live and let live”, because religious beliefs influence greatly public policies that affect all of us. People crash planes into buildings in the name of their beliefs. That in turn affects all of us: higher cost of transportation, more inconvenience, etc. I have all the right to deride ludicrous claims.

June 13, 2012 at 12:17 am |
  16. I am God

I have nothing against religion, but many religious groups must remember that ancient civilizations believed in different Gods and were an organized religion way before the ones we know of today. Christianity, for instance, is not as old as the Ancient Mayan Gods as most Christians would want us to believe. That type of fact is what dissuades me from believing anything the religious groups claim today.

June 12, 2012 at 11:25 pm |
    • CommonSense

That is a perfectly legitimate argument. Its up to you to investigate different religions if you want, and decide whether any of it makes sense or not. I believe in God and Jesus, but I respect your position.

June 12, 2012 at 11:28 pm |
    • manbearpig

@ CommonSense
      Why? Just give me one rational reason why you believe in god and why I should.

June 13, 2012 at 12:00 am |
  17. DeFace

I stopped believing in Santa when I was 5.

June 12, 2012 at 11:23 pm |
  18. John

If you willingly reject God, then it is Lucifer who you follow. You will follow him to the Pit where God will not be. If you want a world without God, it will be given to you. You choose your father and destination. Choose wisely dear children for the end of this age draws near!

Isaiah 14:12-15
    "12 “How you are fallen from heaven,
    O Lucifer,son of the morning!
    How you are cut down to the ground,
    You who weakened the nations!
    13 For you have said in your heart:
    ‘I will ascend into heaven,
    I will exalt my throne above the stars of God;
    I will also sit on the mount of the congregation
    On the farthest sides of the north;
    14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds,
    I will be like the Most High.’
    15 Yet you shall be brought down to Sheol,
    To the lowest depths of the Pit."

June 12, 2012 at 11:22 pm |
    • DeFace

Comedy

June 12, 2012 at 11:24 pm |
    • OOO

Look John,
      Quoting bible verses to prove the truthfulness of... the bible, just isn't going to do it. Take that advice, please.

June 12, 2012 at 11:24 pm |
    • Just Claims, No Truth

The devil is just as non-existent as your god. This is just a way for you to demonize (funny how that works) those who don't buy your bs.

June 12, 2012 at 11:29 pm |
    • howart Dao

jOnh, jonh don't you know that Lucifer has many faces and one of that face is the exact definition of the god that the extreme pious believe he is .

June 12, 2012 at 11:31 pm |
    • DebbieNJ

A book of myths written by silly men who believed in a sky fairy does is MEANINGLESS and does not prove ANYTHING !!!!

June 12, 2012 at 11:52 pm |
  19. Reality

Why the doubt grows IN ALL AGE GROUPS:

ONLY FOR THE NEW MEMBERS OF THIS BLOG:

The Apostles' Creed 2012: (updated by yours truly and based on the studies of historians and theologians of the past 200 years)

Should I believe in a god whose existence cannot be proven
    and said god if he/she/it exists resides in an unproven,
    human-created, spirit state of bliss called heaven??

I believe there was a 1st century CE, Jewish, simple,
    preacher-man who was conceived by a Jewish carpenter
    named Joseph living in Nazareth and born of a young Jewish
    girl named Mary. (Some say he was a mamzer.)

Jesus was summarily crucified for being a temple rabble-rouser by
    the Roman troops in Jerusalem serving under Pontius Pilate,

He was buried in an unmarked grave and still lies
    a-mouldering in the ground somewhere outside of
    Jerusalem.

Said Jesus' story was embellished and "mythicized" by
    many semi-fiction writers. A descent into Hell, a bodily resurrection
    and ascension stories were promulgated to compete with the
    Caesar myths. Said stories were so popular that they
    grew into a religion known today as Catholicism/Christianity
    and featuring dark-age, daily wine to blood and bread to body rituals
    called the eucharistic sacrifice of the non-atoning Jesus.

Amen
    (references used are available upon request)
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

June 12, 2012 at 11:20 pm |
    • howart Dao

Can you please provide references to what you are saying from Hindu and Bhuddist scriptures ? pretty pleaze

June 12, 2012 at 11:38 pm |
  20. mttrailboss

This poll number or percentage, may be a little low. Even though, the age group involved.., we should also look at the number of baby-boomers' and senior citizens that also believe or starting to believe, that there may NOT be a God. Over the last several years, I have noticed less and less parishioners' at church and why.. Doubt.. Simple doubt.., even within coffee shops, after church services, church members', baby-boomers' and senior citizens are discussing, that maybe there is NO God. However.., the majority do believe, there was a Jesus Christ on earth, spreading the good news from the Old Testament and was a human being in the flesh, and a extraordinary man. Mike in Montana

June 12, 2012 at 11:19 pm |