home
RSS
June 12th, 2012

Pew survey: Doubt of God growing quickly among millennials

By Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) – The percentage of Americans 30 and younger who harbor some doubts about God’s existence appears to be growing quickly, according to a recent Pew Research Center survey. While most young Americans, 68%, told Pew they never doubt God’s existence, that’s a 15-point drop in just five years.

In 2007, 83% of American millennials said they never doubted God’s existence.

More young people are expressing doubts about God now than at any time since Pew started asking the question a decade ago. Thirty-one percent disagreed with the statement “I never doubt the existence of God,” double the number who disagreed with it in 2007.

Atheist organizer takes ‘movement’ to nation’s capital

When asked about doubts of God, no other generation showed a change of more than 2% in the past five years.

The survey found that the percentage of millennials who identify with a religion is remaining constant, while most other generations have seen religious identification increase in the past 10 years.

The findings about millennials and religion were part of a 168-page report that Pew released June 4 but were largely overlooked.

“Notably, people younger than 30 are substantially less likely than older people to say prayer is an important part of their lives,” the report said.

“Research on generational patterns shows that this is not merely a lifecycle effect,” it continued. “The Millennial generation is far less religious than were other preceding generations when they were the same age years ago.”

Atheist group targets Muslims, Jews with ‘myth’ billboards in Arabic and Hebrew

The findings are part of Pew’s 2012 American Values Survey, which touches on issues including political partisanship, gay marriage and abortion.

Despite the findings on millennials, the survey shows that the United States continues to be a highly religious nation, with most Americans identifying with a particular faith.

Seventy-six percent of all respondents said prayer is an important part of their lives and agreed that “we all will be called before god at the Judgment Day to answer for our sins.” About 80% said they have never doubted the existence of God.

The report points to a growing divide between the youngest and oldest Americans on belief, religion and social issues.

According to Jesse Galef, communications director for the Secular Student Alliance, the growth in “doubting” youths has led to a surge in secular student groups.

“For a lot of millennial atheists, they are expecting to find a group, they are coming to campus, and if they don’t find one, they are starting one,” Galef said. “This is completely different than what other generations grew up with.”

Atheist rally continues in spite of rain; students highlighted throughout

The Secular Student Alliance has affiliates on 357 American campuses, Galef said, up from 81 such affiliates in 2007.

Galef says the Internet has created a place for young people to discuss religious doubts.

“It enables anybody to have open discussions without fearing if their parents would find out or what their communities would say,” he said. "The more safe places we create for young people to discuss their doubts, the more they can inspire questions in others."

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism • Polls

soundoff (4,013 Responses)
  1. codepwned

Like many religions they were formed as a means for control, or law, or hope. That doesn't make them bad. Most religions were created for the purpose of good, and were perverted by those who seek power, fame or money. To many it is a horrible thought to think they are alone in the world, and when they die there is nothing left. What motivates the people who work the 7-11, or the coal mine 12 hours a day? The thought of eternal happiness, or salvation.

Religion was easily controlled due to ignorance, but now that the world is connected people are learning at an accelerated rate. Information is flowing and showing that most of the world doesn't even believe in the christian god. Science is continually disproving certain 'accepted' things religious doctrine (not just the bible) states as fact.

Think about it this way. How would you provide a set of rules to someone who can't read, has less than a second grade education (in most cases more), etc. A set of stories that are simple to understand and show that doing good has rewards, and doing bad has consequences. That's what the bible is. A set of stories with simple answers for simple people. The human race isn't so simple anymore.

June 13, 2012 at 8:51 am |
  2. MightyMoo

I look at it this way, I believe there is a God. I don't go beating people over the head about it because they only get angry about it most times. So I just try to live as best I can in this day and age and hope and pray for God's will to be done.

That being said if I'm completely wrong in my belief then I still come out on top because after I die I'll get what I always wanted in life a few billion years down the road. My remains will be swallowed up by the sun and puffed off in to deep space when it goes in it's death throws. I'll finally get to travel the galaxy like I've always wanted.

Win/Win for me.

June 13, 2012 at 8:50 am |
    • NoTheism

Pascal's wager, look it up

June 13, 2012 at 8:53 am |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

@NoTheism – Christards never look up anything. They have bible myopia...

June 13, 2012 at 8:58 am |
    • Just Claims, No Truth

I want to beiieve what is actually true, your belief is based on hedging your bet.....

that is just lazy

June 13, 2012 at 9:00 am |
  3. Robert Brown

All the proof, evidence, and peace you could ever want is available for the asking. Get on board today.

THAT OLD SHIP OF ZION

I was standing on the banks of the river
    Looking out over life’s troubled sea
    When I saw that ole ship that was sailing
    Is that the ole ship of Zion I see.

Its hull was bent and battered
    From the storms of life I could see
    Waves were rough but that ole ship kept sailing
    Is that the ole ship of Zion I see.

At the stern of the ship stood the captain
    I could hear as he called out my name
    Get on board it’s the ole ship of Zion
    It will never pass this way again

As I step on board I’ll be leaving
    All my sorrows and heartaches behind
    I’ll be safe with Jesus the captain
    Sailing out on the ole ship of Zion.

June 13, 2012 at 8:49 am |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

My song is not as lame as yours:

Whoa, black betty (bam-ba-lam)
      Whoa, black betty (bam-ba-lam)
      Black betty had a child (bam-ba-lam)
      The damn thing gone wild (bam-ba-lam)
      She said, "i'm worryin' outta mind" (bam-ba-lam)
      The damn thing gone blind (bam-ba-lam)
      I said oh, black betty (bam-ba-lam)
      Whoa, black betty (bam-ba-lam)

Oh, black betty (bam-ba-lam)
      Whoa, black betty (bam-ba-lam)
      She really gets me high (bam-ba-lam)
      You know that's no lie (bam-ba-lam)
      She's so rock steady (bam-ba-lam)
      And she's always ready (bam-ba-lam)
      Whoa, black betty (bam-ba-lam)
      Whoa, black betty (bam-ba-lam)

Whoa, black betty (bam-ba-lam)
      Whoa, black betty (bam-ba-lam)
      She's from birmingham (bam-ba-lam)
      Way down in alabam' (bam-ba-lam)
      Well, she's shakin' that thing (bam-ba-lam)
      Boy, she makes me sing (bam-ba-lam)
      Whoa, black betty (bam-ba-lam)
      Whoa, black betty bam-ba-lam

June 13, 2012 at 8:56 am |
  4. Amused

God doesn't believe in atheists

June 13, 2012 at 8:48 am |
    • sam stone

we know that atheists exist. if god does not believe in them, then god is not omniscient.

June 13, 2012 at 8:49 am |
    • tensai13

Amused – how smug and self important you are to know what "god" believes or doesn't believe.

June 13, 2012 at 8:56 am |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

The feeling is mutual

June 13, 2012 at 8:59 am |
  5. Mark

That's what happens when the preacher telling you about the "rich man" and the "eye of a needle" pulls up to church in a rolls royce. Or when the Pope says, "never mind about that HIV, just don't use condoms". Or when religion gets politicized by right wing lunatics. The way the faithful are playing it, support for religion is going to keep dropping.

June 13, 2012 at 8:46 am |
  6. Richie R.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one less god than you." – Stephan Roberts
    Take some time to put things into perspective, and drop the concept of gods.

June 13, 2012 at 8:45 am |
  7. Skeptic

A nation with more than 75% of the population are ignorant is no cause for joy.

June 13, 2012 at 8:44 am |
    • Craig

NICE! But don't kid yourselves, this nation (and even more, this planet) has a lot more than a 75% ignorance rate. The tooth fairy belief is just the largest weedout point.

June 13, 2012 at 9:06 am |
  8. FormerAtheist

I used to believe in Science and Humanity as the highest form of rational thought. I considered religion to be the opiate of the masses. Then I realized that I wanted my children to know 'right' from 'wrong'. I applied the scientific method to finding out what that meant as I definitely did not want to be a hypocrite.

I realized that 'morality' seemed to be commonly understood across cultures. Lying, cheating, stealing, murdering etc were understood to be 'bad' by all people and society(ies) found ways to punish these behaviors. How could this information be 'hard-wired' into our brains? It must be from an Authority outside of humanity; one that had the right to make 'the rules'.

This started my search for the right understanding of that Authority. My search led to Jesus Christ and the God of the Bible.

Most people do not take the time or effort to find the answers for themselves. Most of them find someone else's convictions to rest upon. I applaud the young generation for doubting as that shows that they at least think! I challenge each of you to critically find the answers to the important questions. I pray that you will find hope.

June 13, 2012 at 8:43 am |
    • John

Not necessarily. Lots of mammals besides humans share with us the two pillars of morality, empathy and reciprocity. Evolutionary mechanisms provide a more than adequate explanation for our morality.

June 13, 2012 at 8:47 am |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

liar

June 13, 2012 at 8:48 am |
    • jamest297

Of course, you do realize that it is impossible to not be an atheist, don't you.

June 13, 2012 at 8:48 am |
    • SillyMan

Yeah, I don't think you applied anything related tot he scientific principle. I also do not think you were ever an atheist. There are abundant studies and theories regarding why morality is hard-wired into our brain. Most of them revolve around the concept that among those who have morality, cooperation is easier, and the group as a whole has an advantage over those with no morality. Natural selection then takes over. Pretty simple really. Maybe you were just a very dumb atheist.

June 13, 2012 at 8:49 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

We are selfish creatures by nature, yet our survival depends on cooperation. In order to balance these two conflicting instincts, mankind has had to develop rules that allow room for both.
      These rules are not the same for all communities – hence we've had so many different types of religion and government throughout history.
      Religion binds communities together by giving a common frame of reference. Shared fears (like divine retribution), hopes (like going to heaven) and rituals allow the instinct for self preservation to extend beyond one's self and immediate family.
      This is why the great majority of evolutionary biologists find no conflict between religion and science – as long as religion is recognized solely as a social adaptation.

June 13, 2012 at 8:49 am |
    • Hank Danger

It's sad that you failed to find morality without the crutch of christ. I was a raised a christian and only once i dropped the lie, did I truly feel like a good person. I don't judge, don't hate, don't 'pick teams'....I guess the only people I do have a problem with are the people that do those things. the people that limit the chances of others. People that think they are right and have the "only answer". Close minded people that think that jebus is the only source of love and the only way to love others. It's very sad.

June 13, 2012 at 8:50 am |
    • NoTheism

That's a non-sequitur, actually. Without giving you the answer, let me tell you how much worse having based on a dictator is: it is subjective to it. That doesn't make morality objective, not even in the sense you mean it to be.

Either way some explanations for this 'wiring' could be easily explained by evolution and reason, oxytocin, for example, is linked to empathy.. What happens when you feel empathy for others?

June 13, 2012 at 8:51 am |
    • AGuest9

One doesn't "believe in Science". I see where you went wrong.

June 13, 2012 at 8:53 am |
    • Just Claims, No Truth

Just a question,

Have you looked at the actual history of christianity? If so which of the 25,000 different versions did you rationally come to the conclusion was true and why? All religion have equal evidence...none.

June 13, 2012 at 8:56 am |
    • grist

You really need to read some more. There is an abundance of scientific literature concerning the evolution of morality. Groups of animals (including humans) who could live and work together were more likely to survive. There are experiments in monkeys indicating they have a sense of fairness. If a monkey is asked to do a task and gets a raison as a reward, he will do it. But, if he sees his neigbor getting a better reward, he will refuse to do the task for just a raison. Morality is a product of evolution. We don't need to hypothesize gods to explain it.

June 13, 2012 at 8:57 am |
    • Tom, Tom the Piper's Son

Your science is horrible. You failed to take into account social interaction among all species. Morality is a function of group survival. Also.. you failed to do your research on Atheism. The vast majority of atheists started as indoctrinated members of one religion or the other. Study after study has shown Atheist to be far more knowledgeable about religion and Christianity in particular than Christians themselves. These facts are commonly known among atheist. This would imply you were ether never an atheist or simply one by default who never took the time to research the topic and make an informed choice.

June 13, 2012 at 9:00 am |
    • WOW

@Former: Very nice comment. Bless you Former.

June 13, 2012 at 9:13 am |
  9. Hank Danger

Intelligence levels are indeed rising. It's the human awakening. There is no god. No one cares about you but other humans and yourself. We are intelligent animals that can do great things. We can do even greater things as a species once this burden of guilt and ridiculous belief and cause for war and hate is lifted. You don't need a god for morals and being kind. Let go, seriously.

June 13, 2012 at 8:41 am |
    • Marrod

I feel sorry for you when you die. There is a GOD. Our bodies have a soul. That is what makes us feel love and emotions. Once we die our souls will go to the afterlife. Well, I know mine will. Blessings.

June 13, 2012 at 8:49 am |
    • Abraham

Marrod, you don't "know" anything. You "believe" that you will ascend from the earth to live forever in a magical storybook land where everybody you ever knew and loads of smiling strangers will line up to hug you when you arrive.

June 13, 2012 at 8:52 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

Neuro-chemistry is what makes us feel emotions.
      There is plenty of tangible, peer-reviewed study to prove it, with the body of evidence growing daily.
      Evidence for the afterlife is still absent.
      Perhaps you should try to die gloriously in battle so you can get to Valhalla – there's just as much proof the Vikings were right as there is for your belief.

June 13, 2012 at 8:52 am |
    • Starman

Sorry Hank. I find no indication that human intelligence is increasing. Especially in USA America. Doubting the existence of a god with no manifestation seems only logical, yet many persist in the belief.

June 13, 2012 at 8:53 am |
    • Fallacy Spotting 101

Post by 'Marrod' is a form of the flawed argument known as Pascal's Wager.

June 13, 2012 at 8:54 am |
    • jeff

That love and other emotions you're feeling are actually a series of chemical reactions in your brain, sorry to inform you.

June 13, 2012 at 8:56 am |
    • JWT

I dont have much int he way of emotions – brain chemistry.

June 13, 2012 at 8:58 am |
  10. ShawnDH

Well that's good news! Religious people are annoying, oppressive, delusional and gullible. I'm very glad that the younger generation can think for themselves and don't just believe something because they are told to, like religious people.

June 13, 2012 at 8:40 am |
  11. Bill

To the religious: please understand that your archaic beliefs hinder scientific progress. Your true shot at everlasting peace, love, life, etc. will come from science; put your belief efforts there, with a "faith" in humanity. Maybe as a cohesive, forward-looking species we'll be able to discover global economic solutions, extend the lifespan, reach the stars....

June 13, 2012 at 8:40 am |
    • shellybranch30

Who is this that obscures my plans with words without knowledge.

– God

June 13, 2012 at 8:55 am |
    • Tim

Science causes problems just as it solves them. I don't see why there is this obsession with science being the cure. It is a tool, a tool in the hands of people. Last I checked, people are still the same. That being said, scared people will still drop nukes, greedy people will still market harmful products, medical breakthroughs will still be saved for the rich who can afford to pay for all the research put into it, and companies will still waste money by making useless transition products (64 MB,128, 256, 512, 1gb, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64. Designed obsolescence. How many flash drives do we need?).

June 13, 2012 at 9:03 am |
    • Bill

Tim - you are, of course, correct; science certainly has its follies. The "maybe" in my statement was considered. That said, and I suppose this is an opinion, overall scientific progress has been positive. You complain about flash drives, yet I'm sure you enjoy the computer you're typing this message from. Most breakthroughs benefit the rich first. The great thing about progress, though, is that items become cheaper through innovation and economies of scale. In the end, either we sit still and enjoy our brief lives as they are, or take a risk and reach for more. Our choice. Whatever we do, let's just not pretend. .

June 13, 2012 at 9:31 am |
  12. OldSchoolUSA

And as the disbelief dwindles; so does life. You people are so blind. All of this is clearly written and recorded in Gods word. Good luck...

June 13, 2012 at 8:37 am |
    • Rational Libertarian

I'd prefer blindness to retardedness.

June 13, 2012 at 8:39 am |
    • Rational Libertarian

Or should that be retardation? Dag nabbit, all this conversing with Christians is making me a little slow. Better go home and read some Joyce.

June 13, 2012 at 8:41 am |
    • NoTheism

When you meet your dictator, send him my regards.

June 13, 2012 at 8:42 am |
    • Oh Really?

This is Zeus speaking. If you don't believe in me, then you have no god(s) at all. I am the father of all gods and goddesses.
      Do you have a problem with that?

June 13, 2012 at 8:43 am |
    • Abraham

Clearly written in a book that serves as its own proof, assembled by committee, translated and revised countless times from its original content, and endlessly interpreted in a vain attempt to make it relevant to contemporary society. I don't believe we're seeing an increase in doubt; rather I believe we are seeing an increase in reason and critical thinking.

June 13, 2012 at 8:43 am |
    • Hank Danger

ha ha. don't tell people that you worry for the future. and please don't pray for us. humans are smarter then past lead paint eating "great generations" we live longer. have better technologies and are attempting, though blocked a lot by red tape, to mend the damage that past generations have done to our earth. good luck yourself enjoy senility.

June 13, 2012 at 8:44 am |
    • This is Odin

Yes, ...yes I do

June 13, 2012 at 8:45 am |
    • Matt

what book contains gods word?? the bible?? the koran?? the torah?? The Vedas?? Upanishads?? Puranas?? Brahmanas Granth?? or the many other thousands of scripture holy books....

nice try sunshine with that logic.

June 13, 2012 at 8:46 am |
    • sam stone

OldSchool: And you feel you know the mind of god. How incredibly arrogant.

June 13, 2012 at 8:53 am |
    • WOW

@Old: Very true! Amen.

June 13, 2012 at 9:15 am |
  13. truth will out

This was predicted in the book of Revelations as part of an end times scenario. People would turn away from God.....The time is at hand, yet no one will know when it will be.......this is actually good news for those of us that believe......the rest of you can have this God forsaken planet and it's problems......I'm going to fairytale land.....see ya!!! wouldn't want to be ya!!!

June 13, 2012 at 8:35 am |
    • NoTheism

bye

June 13, 2012 at 8:37 am |
    • Rational Libertarian

Fairytale Land. Says it, really.

June 13, 2012 at 8:38 am |
    • richunix

make sure you have your unicorn with ya!

June 13, 2012 at 8:39 am |
    • jamest297

Any chance you mean the book of "Revelation"?

June 13, 2012 at 8:40 am |
    • NoTheism

by the way, I suggest you look into "Pascal's wager'

June 13, 2012 at 8:40 am |
    • John

This was predicted in the end of the Lord of the Rings when the elves left middle-earth and people turned from magic to industry. LOL. Just words in a book.

June 13, 2012 at 8:43 am |
    • Cobra6

Richunix, why would he want to take Mitt Romney with him?

June 13, 2012 at 8:46 am |
    • Just Claims, No Truth

This is the beauty of living a delusion, no matter what happens, no matter what information is given to you,.... your delusion is proven correct.

June 13, 2012 at 8:48 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

When the Rapture comes and God bodily transports all of the good, kind, charitable, compassionate, tolerant, humble, loving Christians, I'm sure the world will miss both of them.

June 13, 2012 at 8:54 am |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

@Doc – Now that's funny...

June 13, 2012 at 9:19 am |
  14. joe

Finally! Man is waking up! When the bible was written in the bronze age, when the earth was still flat and the earth was still the center of the universe, the 40 or so writers over a period of 1500 or so years with absolutely NO firsthand account with jesus had NO idea how big the universe really is. Blaming the wonderous unknown on a diety is a fault. Or rather a vault. A huge recepticle called religion that is a money making pit. Religion would have been gone long ago had it not been for the fear of brutally dying induced by the powers that be for being a non-believer. Believers in christianity are that because of their parents and where they were born. Christians could just as easily be muslim. Want to be a muslim because of your parents? If you believe in god why not be a buddist? Or a jew? There is absolutely no proof that god in any form exists. Take your blinders off and view things for what they really are. And if you still want to play by the bibles rules, play by all of them, not just the few that are pretty to you. You can start with Leviticus.

June 13, 2012 at 8:33 am |
    • Rachel

There is no proof that God does not exist.

June 13, 2012 at 9:06 am |
    • joe

there is no proof that unicorns don't exixt, either.

June 13, 2012 at 9:15 am |
    • WOW

Finally! The time is drawing near!

June 13, 2012 at 9:20 am |
    • Michelle

Rachel, the burden of proof is on you to provide evidence of the existance of gods.

June 13, 2012 at 9:48 am |
  15. Soren

For one to truly have faith in God, one would also have to doubt one's beliefs about God; the doubt is the rational part of a person's thought involved in weighing evidence, without which the faith would have no real substance. Someone who does not realize that Christian doctrine is inherently doubtful and that there can be no objective certainty about its truth does not have faith but is merely credulous.

June 13, 2012 at 8:31 am |
    • EndTimes

Well said. Some tend to condemn those who have faith because they confuse it with being credulous. The Bible itself commends investigation as it says that we must "test the spirits" that is, search out for logical, reasonable evidence and not just to believe everything.

June 13, 2012 at 8:37 am |
    • richunix

to the both of you:" argumentum ad antiquitam"

Stephen F Roberts: “I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

June 13, 2012 at 8:43 am |
    • sybaris

I always utilize Kierkegaard when validating the purple unicorn in my closet.

June 13, 2012 at 8:57 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

Faith is not a virtue.
      It is the willing cessation of rational inquiry in favor of accepting rote, dogmatic answers to life's hard questions.
      Faith is intellectual apathy.

June 13, 2012 at 8:58 am |
    • Anon

richunix: That quote is moronic because it attributes some sort of linear value to believing in a deity. Like, y=x, Atheists are at x=0 and Christians at x=1. The difference between believing in one god and none is fundamentally vast, and cannot be compared to say, the difference between believing in one god and another.

June 13, 2012 at 9:06 am |
  16. rabbit one

doubts about CNN and human intelligence are also growing – really not any of us can imagine what is out there or inside us – we can never know if there is a god or no god at all – it is beyond humans and animals to know that intimately but it does not mean that there is no god or creator or creative energy – there is undeniably creation – which is enough to be worshiped if there is nothing else

June 13, 2012 at 8:31 am |
    • Rational Libertarian

There is undeniably stuff, there is not undeniably creation, which implies a creator.

June 13, 2012 at 8:36 am |
    • Abraham

The fact that a thing exists does not explain its existence. Typically one relies on observation and experimentation to determine the nature of its origin.

June 13, 2012 at 8:48 am |
  17. Geoff

Good. The sooner we quit worshipping fairy tales the sooner we can get to work on the real problems of the world.

June 13, 2012 at 8:30 am |
    • westsideG

I am sure you don't believe in the fairy tales so what have you done to help the world?

June 13, 2012 at 8:38 am |
    • dave

AMEN (pun intended) !!!

June 13, 2012 at 8:40 am |
    • David

Did someone teach you to think only with your mind and look only with your eyes? You have a heart, too – incorporate that into how you see things. There is much, much more to this world than meets the eye, just like there is more to a person than first impressions.

June 13, 2012 at 8:42 am |
    • Geoff

Hey Westside - I'm a teacher. I educate the future generations. Is that okay? Or do I still suck because I don't believe in Santa Christ?

June 13, 2012 at 8:56 am |
    • Michelle

Hey, Westside – atheist cancer researcher here. That's what I'm doing to make the world better. How 'bout you? And prayer don't count.

June 13, 2012 at 9:52 am |
  18. shellybranch30

I blame the so called christian ministers for their ultra religious, fire hose style of teaching along with teaching the false doctrine of a hateful and vengeful God. God didn't come to hate....he loves. The media is no help either by indirectly pushing the propoganda of the evangelical nutbags.

I go to a none denomination church....about as anti-religious as it gets. Instead of religious judgements to persecute the world with...I get to hear the truth. If these same folks in this poll could here what I here and truelly understand the bible, they would believe and know that God could give a crap about your religion....he only cares about you and your relationship with him.

June 13, 2012 at 8:29 am |
    • NoTheism

Shelly, how would you know?? All the things you say are unsupported.. "god didn't come to hate....he loves" says who? Does this god you speak of even exist? I have no idea what you're talking about.

June 13, 2012 at 8:32 am |
    • Strange

NoTheism – Prove he doesn't. What proof do you have that God doesn't exsist? Even Einstin believed in an organizing intelligence, a higher power than we can understand.

June 13, 2012 at 9:02 am |
    • jaman

Prove the invisible flying spaghetti monster doesn't exist. Prove that unicorns do not exist. Nothing that has ever not existed can be proven to not exist. Just because something can't be proven to not exist does not mean it is evidence for existence.

June 13, 2012 at 11:47 am |
  19. sybaris

"About 80% said they have never doubted the existence of God."

False

We are all born agnostic to the belief in a god

June 13, 2012 at 8:28 am |
    • NoTheism

we are all born atheist

June 13, 2012 at 8:35 am |
    • Rational Libertarian

We are all born non-theistic.

June 13, 2012 at 8:36 am |
    • JWT

I was born an atheist – can't say what other people were born as.

June 13, 2012 at 9:05 am |
  20. Rudedog

I blame the religiofascists for turning religion into a political party. WHO WANTS A PART OF THAT?

June 13, 2012 at 8:28 am |