home
RSS
June 12th, 2012

Pew survey: Doubt of God growing quickly among millennials

By Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) – The percentage of Americans 30 and younger who harbor some doubts about God’s existence appears to be growing quickly, according to a recent Pew Research Center survey. While most young Americans, 68%, told Pew they never doubt God’s existence, that’s a 15-point drop in just five years.

In 2007, 83% of American millennials said they never doubted God’s existence.

More young people are expressing doubts about God now than at any time since Pew started asking the question a decade ago. Thirty-one percent disagreed with the statement “I never doubt the existence of God,” double the number who disagreed with it in 2007.

Atheist organizer takes ‘movement’ to nation’s capital

When asked about doubts of God, no other generation showed a change of more than 2% in the past five years.

The survey found that the percentage of millennials who identify with a religion is remaining constant, while most other generations have seen religious identification increase in the past 10 years.

The findings about millennials and religion were part of a 168-page report that Pew released June 4 but were largely overlooked.

“Notably, people younger than 30 are substantially less likely than older people to say prayer is an important part of their lives,” the report said.

“Research on generational patterns shows that this is not merely a lifecycle effect,” it continued. “The Millennial generation is far less religious than were other preceding generations when they were the same age years ago.”

Atheist group targets Muslims, Jews with ‘myth’ billboards in Arabic and Hebrew

The findings are part of Pew’s 2012 American Values Survey, which touches on issues including political partisanship, gay marriage and abortion.

Despite the findings on millennials, the survey shows that the United States continues to be a highly religious nation, with most Americans identifying with a particular faith.

Seventy-six percent of all respondents said prayer is an important part of their lives and agreed that “we all will be called before god at the Judgment Day to answer for our sins.” About 80% said they have never doubted the existence of God.

The report points to a growing divide between the youngest and oldest Americans on belief, religion and social issues.

According to Jesse Galef, communications director for the Secular Student Alliance, the growth in “doubting” youths has led to a surge in secular student groups.

“For a lot of millennial atheists, they are expecting to find a group, they are coming to campus, and if they don’t find one, they are starting one,” Galef said. “This is completely different than what other generations grew up with.”

Atheist rally continues in spite of rain; students highlighted throughout

The Secular Student Alliance has affiliates on 357 American campuses, Galef said, up from 81 such affiliates in 2007.

Galef says the Internet has created a place for young people to discuss religious doubts.

“It enables anybody to have open discussions without fearing if their parents would find out or what their communities would say,” he said. "The more safe places we create for young people to discuss their doubts, the more they can inspire questions in others."

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism • Polls

soundoff (4,013 Responses)
  1. JOHN

Our government schools teach our children there is no God. So this movement is simply the result. They are controlled by humanists who reject the existence of God. Thus the children are taught to make decisions without considering God, because there is no God to consider. America is in a spiritual mess. If born again in this atmosphere how fortunate. Gather your family, get your children out of the school system or train them to be missionaries in the system and hold on. We are in the last days... so life for the Christian will become more and more difficult til we see Jesus. Since so many youth are confused the secular alliance simply organizes them as a force against religion. Thus... their purpose, a purpose for living.

June 19, 2012 at 4:36 am |
    • sam stone

Our government schools teach no such thing.

Paranoid much?

June 19, 2012 at 5:23 am |
    • sam stone

johnnie boy, demonstrate ONE public school that teaches that there is no god. come on, just one. you can do that, can't you?

June 19, 2012 at 5:27 am |
    • sam stone

Wow, the "last days". Luckily, THAT'S never been predicted before

June 19, 2012 at 5:44 am |
    • sam stone

Pretty much what I thought. Nothing but another loudmouth, paranoid christian

June 19, 2012 at 6:41 am |
  2. Jack

Hello & good evening. Everyone is welcome to visit ... thestarofkaduri.com

June 18, 2012 at 10:39 pm |
  3. james

Baloney–Get a life–

June 18, 2012 at 9:00 pm |
  4. Ari

I'm so tired of this god & religion thing. People only pull out their religions as a means of justifying their bad behaviors. Why do people need to believe in some mythical being in today's world. There is science to answer people's questions today. Oh, wait, science is too scary, it is real.

June 18, 2012 at 8:17 pm |
    • joseph

He still loves you. You may deny Him, but you are the reason he suffered and died – with the hope that His death would stir your soul to turn to Him and avoid what awaits a world steeped in darkness.

June 18, 2012 at 10:14 pm |
    • well said

joseph - "god loves you" is the religi onist's way of saying "i'm better than you." God doesn't need YOU to be his pas.sive-aggres sive cheerleader.

June 18, 2012 at 11:36 pm |
    • well said

If god were actually real, no one would NEED to talk about how awesome he is, or convince anyone. Does anyone go out there evangelizing ice cream? Chocolate? Moon bounces?

NO. Because they're indisputably awesome. Their awesome is just a fact of life. You don't need to pass out pro-chocolate flyers to convince people to like it, you just need to say, "you know what? CHOCOLATE!" and people go "Yeah! Let's get some right now!"

Pushing God, on the other hand? Man, that's like pulling teeth, innit? That should tell you something. Maybe God's not as awesome as you were led to believe. Maybe it's kind of a scam.

Just remember, TRUE awesome will sell itself. It doesn't need advertising, proselytizing, or a pep squad. If people have to preach it, then it ain't Gospel!

June 18, 2012 at 11:43 pm |
    • Freddy

Wow awesome words WELL SAID!!! Essentially religion is like the Emporer's New Clothes. Everybody has to sit around and lie together to make themselves believe the lie...or feel less stupid about the lie. Nice work....very well said, well said!

June 19, 2012 at 1:26 am |
  5. kindness

I Follow Christ . I never wanted proof. I just had faith.

HE WHO follows Me, walks not in darkness,” says the Lord (John 8:12). By these words
    of Christ we are advised to imitate His life and habits, if we wish to be truly enlightened and
    free from all blindness of heart. Let our chief effort, therefore, be to study the life of Jesus
    Christ.
    The teaching of Christ is more excellent than all the advice of the saints, and he who
    has His spirit will find in it a hidden manna. Now, there are many who hear the Gospel often
    but care little for it because they have not the spirit of Christ. Yet whoever wishes to understand
    fully the words of Christ must try to pattern his whole life on that of Christ.

What good does it do to speak learnedly about the Trinity if, lacking humility, you
    displease the Trinity? Indeed it is not learning that makes a man holy and just, but a virtuous
    life makes him pleasing to God. I would rather feel contrition than know how to define it.
    For what would it profit us to know the whole Bible by heart and the principles of all the
    philosophers if we live without grace and the love of God? Vanity of vanities and all is vanity,
    except to love God and serve Him alone.

This is the greatest wisdom—to seek the kingdom of heaven through contempt of the
    world. It is vanity, therefore, to seek and trust in riches that perish. It is vanity also to court
    honor and to be puffed up with pride. It is vanity to follow the lusts of the body and to desire
    things for which severe punishment later must come. It is vanity to wish for long life and
    to care little about a well-spent life. It is vanity to be concerned with the present only and
    not to make provision for things to come. It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not
    to look ahead where eternal joy abides.
    Often recall the proverb: “The eye is not satisfied with seeing nor the ear filled with
    hearing.”1 Try, moreover, to turn your heart from the love of things visible and bring
    yourself to things invisible. For they who follow their own evil passions stain their consciences
    and lose the grace of God.

See for yourself. You will be on a battlefield for christ

June 18, 2012 at 5:58 pm |
    • Ari

Really? Give me a break. There is no god. I have never bought into that crap, even as a child. Do you realize that you just believe because you have been told your whole life that you are supposed to?

June 18, 2012 at 8:04 pm |
    • well said

see above. Real greatness doesn't use people like you to push its agenda. Real greatness is its own force of change. If religion was on the right track, there wouldn't be any churches at all, and righteousness would just be called "being a good person," instead of "being on a battlefield for this particular deity."

So with that in mind, the more you insist that "God" is the way to go, the more intelligent people will be convinced that he's a total crock. The way to prove that there is an all-powerful force for good in the world is to shut up and do something useful without asking for money, obedience, or special laws that exclude others from your perfect society.

In fact, there ARE people who are doing this right now, because they know right from wrong and are willing to act on it without fanfare or self-aggrandizement. This is the legacy of humanism and the Enlightenment. Real good is being done in the name of good, not of specific and capricious hateful deities.

June 18, 2012 at 11:54 pm |
  6. JJ

I can doubt that the sun is real but it doesn't change the fact it is. One day every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. A merciful, loving and JUST God.

June 18, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

If you're talking about the god of the bible, then sorry just and loving are not words that describe the actions of the proposed god.

June 18, 2012 at 5:05 pm |
    • sam stone

I guess that slaves gotta beg. Massah, messiah, whatever

June 18, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
    • JWT

Not going to happen JJ. You better get used to the idea that not everyone believes in the same as you. There are a lot of different versions of the christian god as well.

June 18, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

I have perfect peace about my death when the time comes. If there is a god, and he is just, loving, and merciful, then he will be then to me and understand why I did not believe in the god portrayed in the bible or any other gods I've heard about. I'm good to go with a being who is loving, merciful, and just.

June 18, 2012 at 5:58 pm |
    • Ari

Give me a break. The sun is real, we see it, feel it, are touched by it's rays. God is a myth made up to keep the poor from killing the rich.

June 18, 2012 at 8:05 pm |
    • Gadflie

Merciful? Have you ever actually read the Old Testament?

June 18, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
    • sam stone

JJ: We can see the sun. We can feel heat from the sun. We can measure the sun. Not so much from "god"

June 19, 2012 at 5:38 am |
  7. Tom K. From Beverly Hills

It's normal to have doubts. It doesn't matter what faith you have, go visit the Sistine Chapel at the Vatican and you'll quickly believe in God again.

June 18, 2012 at 4:44 pm |
    • Ari

Why would going to a lavish palace that has protected child molesters for centuries turn anyone into a god believer?

June 18, 2012 at 8:07 pm |
    • Gadflie

That's like saying that if I visit some of the ruins in Athens, I will believe in Zeus.

June 18, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
    • well said

I visited it. Belief did not result. Please explain. Was my chapel experience broken?

I had noticed that you have to walk through chambers where Popes and cardinals historically stabbed and poisoned one another, and as I was visiting, artists were painstakingly restoring a church-ordered defacement of the Chapel ceiling, in which, in a fit of prudishness, someone had PAINTED OVER the beautiful centuries-old human-figured angels and given them all loincloths. And then in another fit of pique, someone centuries later had ordered the loincloths removed.

Maybe God was hiding under a cherub's G – string, and they just hadn't rediscovered him yet. Everyone knows that churches and god are infallible, so this must all be part of the plan to convert me, right?

June 19, 2012 at 12:18 am |
    • jim

Tom? What are you given examples of man made structures? Has god build anything?

June 19, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
    • Wrenn_NYC

When I look at the Sistine Chapel, what I see is a piece of art that a man was coerced into painting. A man who wasn't even really a painter, but a sculpter. A sculpter who had the project he wanted to do held over his head to be done after he did this ceiling painting.

I see a very beautiful piece of artwork done by a genius. Michaelangelo had to teach him self the technique used on the ceiling, because – again – he wasn't a painter. But he was an artist.

There are many many beautiful religious works of art in the world. What I see when I see them is the beautiful art. I see the livelihood of the artist who made them. AND I acknowledge the church's place in commissioning the artwork and paying for it, thereby allowing the artist to work making art and feed and clothe themselves and their families. But I also acknowledge that the artist did not choose the subject matter.

See... I live with an author who has done a lot of media tie in work. Contracted work. I know how an 'artist' finds the fun in what they are contracted to do.

June 20, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
  8. Calina

In the past 10 years alone I have met so many people that consider themselves "spiritual" instead of religions. They have lost their faith in their christian god for a number of reasons. First of all, after 2000 years of waiting, when we will, in this modern day and age, accept that nobody "is coming back to save us?" Second of all, why believe in something that has caused death and destruction in the name of god for so many centuries? Most of the people that I've spoken to simply say that they leave their religions because we live in a modern day and age and they simply don't have time to worry about some silly punishment/reward system that has never worked in the first place. I say kudos to them! It takes more courage to NOT have a religion because then you have to stand up for yourself and do your own work, your own care and give your own love and compassion...not wait for a make-believe god to do it for you while you condemn everyone else to hell.

June 18, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
    • ajoseph1234

Wouldn't it be the saddest of stories – to slowly d-e of thirst in a desert and refuse offered life giving water because blindness has robbed you of the ability to see the water. Taste and see before rejecting outright!

June 18, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
    • JJ

A thousand years is but a day to God. Open your eyes and believe in the one who has died for your sins. YHWH.

June 18, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
    • sam stone

Classic dodge there, JJ.

June 18, 2012 at 5:12 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

@ajoseph1234

Water has proven qualities, not so with any gods. Show me a god as reliable and testable as water, and I'll believe in it/him/her. If I can't measure something reliable in regards to your god, then I can't evaluate it. And if the only 'measurement' you claim to offer is that of the other religions and cults (feelings based on 'faith') then you're missing the point of the request for "measurement."

June 18, 2012 at 6:01 pm |
    • Ari

I agree with you Calina, it is better to accept responsibility for one's own actions.

June 18, 2012 at 8:08 pm |
    • well said

Catlina is right - waiting for God is like waiting for Godot.

If God knew that a day would be like a thousand years to us, he would have showed up FIRST THING IN THE MORNING to avoid massive time-dilation-based misunderstandings. He KNEW we'd be waiting this long, and he let us think we were abandoned. What in the name of Sam Beckett is that as a way to treat your followers? Jerk.

June 19, 2012 at 12:22 am |
  9. Juan Valdez

I am a Christian and deeply believe in the Bible, cover to cover. There is more than ample evidence to my mind to substantiate everything that the Bible says. But let's not talk about that. Let's take a very simple, utiliarian, unbelieving view, shall we?

If I am right (and the Bible, too, since that is the basis for all of my beliefs), then I will live a life demonstrating as much of Christ's love as I can to hurting people all around me. I will live in as moral and pure of a fashion as possible (allowing Christ to live His life through me, as much as I can do so), and I will "speak the truth in love" (as the Bible commands that I do). This means that, while I will truthfully state what I believe to be right and wrong, based upon the clear instructions of Scripture, I will never condemn those who are engaging in sin (knowing that I, too, engage in sin regularly, which is why I am so thankful for Christ's grace which has forgiven my sins).

So I do all of that, it turns out that the Bible is true, and I go to heaven. And, if the Bible is true, then the unbelievers and naysayers will be......let's just say, not so lucky......

Now flip the coin: let's say, hypothetically, that the Bible is not right, and I've lived my life believing in a falsehood that has resulted in my living a more moral, clean, loving, caring, compassionate lifestyle (which is true Christianity, NOT the false version alluded to by nearly every unbliever posting on this site). If the Bible is not right and that is how I've lived, then depending upon which "theory" turned out to be true (did I do more good than bad, am I coming back in another form, is it just lights out and then nothingness), I'd still be in at least as good of shape as most other people on earth. It would have ended up costing me nothing to have lived and believed the way that I did.

Nutshell: It's greater than or equal to zero for me, but less than or equal to zero for unbelievers. They MUST be right in their beliefs in order for everything to turn out "OK"; if they're wrong, it's hell, literally. For me, I can be wrong and still be "OK," whereas if I'm right, it's substantially more awesome and wonderful than any human can imagine. I'll take my odds any day over the "all or nothing" approach of unbelievers, who have to be entirely correct in order not to end up in perpetual suffering.

That's NOT hate or moralizing or superiority. That's just simple, utilitarian pragmatism.

June 18, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
    • JWT

You make it sound like belief is a choice. Professing belief when one does not believe is just a lie. There is no pragmatism ivolved.

June 18, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

I think the point is exactly that belief is a choice. When presented with the facts of my life, in the light of my errant heart, I choose to believe what the Apostles have reported. That Jesus was the Christ. That perfect man which I could not become, who was put to the death because of the sins of men, though he was without fault.

June 18, 2012 at 4:55 pm |
    • JJ

If you want to be set free – read Jonathan Edwards Freedom of the Will and receive God's grace.

June 18, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
    • sam stone

No, Juan, that is faulty logic. You are assuming only two potentional outcomes

June 18, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
    • sam stone

if you want to be set free, ignore religion altogether

June 18, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
    • JWT

I do not see anything religious there Bill. That is just the way it goes. Not all of us believe or even need to believe. Such is the joy of life.

June 18, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

I see your point. I suppose it's not specifically religious. But, from my perspective, I find His passion compelling, deserving of respect, even worship and devotion. I want to follow Him. Perhaps the world will hate me too, but you cannot deny, he gave His all

June 18, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
    • JWT

There is nothign wrong whatsoever with your belief. Just remember that there is nothing wrogn whatsover in not believing.

June 18, 2012 at 5:41 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

@Bill Deacon

I could not disagree with you more. Belief is not a choice, but rather and compulsion. Can you believe that a loved one did not die? No. The facts compel you to believe regardless of what you would like to believe. Same with amputation, or a car wreck, or the color of your skin or someone else's. What you want to believe has no bearing on what you are compelled to believe.

"Desirability" is not a component of true investigation. Sure, we all want to believe that we'll be rich and powerful inside of 6 months, but we are compelled to believe as the wealth of facts demand. As to your decision to HAVE FAITH in a particular god, you'll notice it wasn't the god of some other culture such as Allah or any other gods except the one most believed by your culture/ society. Nobody decides to go have faith in Quetzacoatl or Odin.

June 18, 2012 at 6:07 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

sorry, should read, "but rather a compulsion" ...

June 18, 2012 at 6:08 pm |
    • Gadflie

Juan, that would be a valid argument if Christianity were the only religion that we humans have ever invented. But, we have invented over 2500 of them so far. And, in many of them, if you worship the wrong god, you are REALLY screwed when you die. So, unless you follow all the religions, your odds are actually no better than mine.

June 18, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
    • Really-O?

@Juan Valdez –

"Cover to cover"? Really? Do you have children? Have they ever been disobedient? I hope not, on both counts.

June 18, 2012 at 8:57 pm |
    • Really-O?

@Juan Valdez –

BTW...your coffee could be better.

June 18, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
    • Wrenn_NYC

Cafe Christianity.

you don't live the bible cover to cover. TO do so would not be a 'moral' life, as society holds it to be.

You don't hold with selling your daughters into slavery. Enslaving your nations neighbors. Or stoning your disobedient children. To name three rules found in the bible.

June 19, 2012 at 6:06 pm |
    • Wrenn_NYC

To put it plainly... If what you write is true, you follow a highly romanticized version of Christianity. One not in keeping with the major sects/denominations in this world.

June 19, 2012 at 6:08 pm |
  10. Matt

Just because you find fault with the Judeo-Christian-Islamic notion of a highly anthropomorphized deity, doesn't mean that nothing is divine, inexplicable, real and there in the universe. I don't believe in a God that is given over to petty human emotions like love, hate and anger and I don't believe in one making any conscious decisions, but over the years, I've come to see glimpses of the divine. If the trees could think, they'd swear the sun was god and that mushrooms were all heretics. They would imagine all sorts of things about the sun. Just because the sun doesn't care about the trees, doesn't mean it isn't providing for them or that they could live without it. God doesn't have to be thought of as an overjudgemental, disembodied sky dweller. Look past the books, the talking heads and the manipulators trying to profit off fear and ignorance and see the divine actually there. Reimagine God. If you look with your heart, you won't need some scheister in a pulpit waving a book around trying to tell you how to believe.

June 18, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
    • DC from NJ

In other words, you've just invented your own "religion", number 5 million or so over the course of human history. And I confidently predict that your particular brand of religion will die out, just as hundreds of others have done over the centuries. It's time to move on from religion, and to realize that we need to make this world the best it can be without worrying about some imaginary "god" in the sky.

June 18, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

DC, I like the idea of his religion being the 5 millionth or 500 millionth even better, Each of us should aspire to some knowledge and relationship with the divine. The best organized religions urge us to seek a personal experience with creation and the movement of the spiritual.

June 18, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
  11. Michael Robinson Gainesville FL

Here we go again, with the imaginary friend jesus, and his mickey mouse sky papa.

June 18, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
    • Tigerhawk

Hey Michael...Why don't you go grab all the rest of your closed minded atheist friends and all of the closed-minded/extreme religious nuts, and leave the planet so that the rest of us reasonable folks on both sides of the fence can enjoy a peaceful co-existence. Learn some respect brother.

July 27, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
  12. CHRIS GEGERE

A Psalm of David. The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God." -Psalm 14:1.

ROMANS 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. 17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “The just shall live by faith.”

God’s Wrath on Unrighteousness
    18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, 21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Professing to be wise, they became fools...
    28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting; 29 being filled with all unrighteousness... -Paul. 1st Cenutury AD.

PAUL, in 1 Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; 2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron...

You unbelievers DO fulfill the prophecies in the Bible.

Ya – you believe not – just like it says...

The hard-hearted will wind-up like Pharoah and the Egyptians, like Sodom and Gommorah, like those who missed the boat in Noah's day.

You better repent.

I hope you guys do. 🙂

June 18, 2012 at 8:55 am |
    • JWT

Religion is fine for those that want it, but not a necessity for anything.

As for the veiled threats those are mans not your gods, and if they are your gods then he is unworthy of even respect.

June 18, 2012 at 9:03 am |
    • sam stone

Empty proxy threats are laughable. Back on your knees, Chris

June 18, 2012 at 9:52 am |
    • jim

Seriously, Noah? You don't actually believe the kangaroo's swam all the way to Noah's house to avoid a flood, do you??

June 18, 2012 at 12:55 pm |
    • Michael Robinson Gainesville FL

No worries about hell, fire, and damnation. Whatever the above person said about psalms and noah, it's all completely fake. Made up fairy tales.

June 18, 2012 at 1:05 pm |
    • Al Blue

Read Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand and you will become an atheist. If there ever was a god it was Rand.

June 18, 2012 at 4:53 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

Ayn Rand a God? Now that is funny.

June 18, 2012 at 4:57 pm |
  13. Shari Wall

I watched Don Lemon's interview last night before bed and tossed and turned all night!! It is one thing to have a segment on about atheism, but to allow a guest speaker to say that "at times Jesus was an atheist is complete heresy !!! Jesus not only completely and fully believed in God- He WAS God in the flesh. The THOUGHT of Jesus for a second- not believing in God or Doubting God is absolutely not true. To have the audacity to SAY that statement on national TV- Shame on the speaker and shame on CNN !!! God witnessed this interview.

June 18, 2012 at 7:55 am |
    • jim

You're wrong, by not censoring the comment god basically endorsed it. The same way he endorses child r-ape through inaction.

June 18, 2012 at 1:11 pm |
    • JWT

If you think your god should have censored this then why did you see it. Your god is not that meaningful tother people than youl

June 18, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
    • Ari

Prove it Shari. You realize there are many that do not believe there was a Jesus. There are others that believe that Jesus was not killed, but was exiled with his family to another country. I do not doubt there was a guy named Jesus, Mexico is full of them. But all the rest is just stories handed down through the centuries. Most of them originated in Egypt.

June 18, 2012 at 8:12 pm |
  14. The Corrector

I MAKE THIS WORLD CONTENTED.
    What do you do?
    I MAKE THIS WORLD HAPPY.
    What do you do?
    I MAKE THIS WORLD ORGASM.
    What do you do?
    I MAKE THIS WORLD EUPHORIC.
    What do you do?
    DO THE SAME AS ME.

June 17, 2012 at 9:29 pm |
  15. Austin

The Internet is changing the way we think. Unlike the older generation who were constrained in the type of information they we're exposed to,the younger generation has the world at its fingertips. The younger generation is awakening to the fact that judeo-Christianity is not THE religion but one amongst many..and may not be the most logically sound unparadoxical theology at that.....

June 17, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
    • Arvoasitis

In fact, Judaism is the mother of Christianity, but Zoroastrianism is its father. Zoroastrian themes pervade the life and teachings of Jesus, modern Christian thought is closer to the Zoroastrian than it is to Judaism, and Zoroastrian sermons are delivered from Christian pulpits without causing the least consternation or alarm. Why, then, isn't the Zend Avesta, the Zoroastrian scripture included as part of the Christian Bible?

June 17, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
    • What Now

We were doubting long before computers or internet. Most of us just kept our mouths shut because of intolerance and discrimination. It was just with advanced communications that we have found out that we are not alone.

June 17, 2012 at 7:57 pm |
    • Austin

Correct.of course there has always been dissidents . For clarification,my central point is that the Internet has become a powerful medium that will spearhead a growing secular movement unlike any other.having expose to a variety of ideas create questions about the epistemological assertions made by Christianity for example. Questions provide an apparatus for dialectics and dialectics and ideological engagement leads to the more logically sound ideas winning out...which in the case of religion may end up being kryptonite

June 17, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
  16. Km Johnson

For a county that bost being founded on "reigious freedom" it's sad that in 2012 America is still intolerant to other religions and those who doubt the monolythic deity. This isnot religious freedom! Its religious ignorance, intolerance and arogance to tell someone that because they have doubst about your god and religious process that its only part of their religious journey and then begin quoting the bible! This is not religius freedom!!! )O(

June 17, 2012 at 4:57 pm |
  17. Jack

Happy "Father" Day ...Everyone is welcome to visit thestarofkaduri.com

June 17, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
    • daoud

No thanks, I'll pass on the Kool-Aid.

June 18, 2012 at 7:44 pm |
  18. PJ

Regarding the belief as to whether or not God exists, my take on this is that we consist of a spirit, a soul and a body; however, we neglect the use of our spirit and instead, use soul and body to judge things that are spiritual. God is a Spirit and unless we utilize our spirit in trying to understand God or communicate with Him, we will never be able to understand God or His existence (1Corin 1:18-25; 2Thess 2:3; 1Tim 4:1).

June 17, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

I have a friend who believes we were put here by aliens, but she's going to need a little more than a brochure from Sedona as evidence if she wants to be taken seriously. You as well will need more than your brochure from 2k years ago, if you want to be taken seriously.

June 17, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
    • veggiedude

At least being created by aliens is far more plausible than being created by something supernatural, and then our species is being stalked by it for millenium.

June 17, 2012 at 11:30 pm |
  19. Demion

This is what Max Weber was trying to explain- when he wrote about the "disenchantment" of the world!!

June 17, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
  20. michaeljwickham

It's a survey that doesn't really tell anything. Doubting God is an important part of faith. If you never doubt what you believe in, if your faith has never been tested, then how do you know what you truly believe? It's a poorly framed question. I suspect that the most faith-filled people across all religions would hesitate to say that they "never doubted the existence of God." Apparently the millennials are either more honest in their answers or more in tune with their personal faith journey. To say that you have doubted the existence of something means that at some point you have pondered its existence, and thinking and reasoning are what make humans such an incredible species. Maybe it was a time that a grandparent died, maybe it was looking at the world's evils in a news report, maybe it was standing on an unemployment line, a person's faith is tested at many times and in many ways over the course of their life. And questioning what you believe is an important part of establishing who you are. It's interesting that the millennials are the ones where the drop was most apparent, probably because they are in the time of their lives where questioning who they are and what they believe is most apparent. Any doubts that they have had about the existence of God are probably fresh in their minds.

Atheists and believers probably shouldn't read too much into this survey, one way or the other, although they will. It is a poorly worded question, being honestly answered by a group of people who are questioning everything in their lives as they grow into the people they are. Does answering "yes" to the question "I have never doubted the ability of my government" make you less of a patriot? Some would say questioning the government is a cornerstone of American ideals. Question everything. It's the only way you find the answers.

June 17, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

You are correct. If there were no doubt it would just be reality or fact. Faith is required when you need to pretend to know things you don't know.

Doubt incidentally is an important part of the scientific process as well. Except when the realities don't match the theories, it's the theories that are questioned, not reality.

June 17, 2012 at 4:58 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

Nice job Michael

June 18, 2012 at 1:28 pm |
    • Mike Texoma

Good, Michael.

I believe we all ought to find a quiet place and spread our beliefs out, face up, on the table. We should say: "Do I really believe this or do I not?" "If I do," we should say, "then why do I believe this?" "What is the idea, what is the rationale, how do I support it, and how do I reconcile these conflicts, and what are my resources?" We should go down the line and back again, until we know what we believe and why we believe it.

Does that make me an athiest? Some may say so, but I know otherwise.

When the wheels fall off, and they will, and when things get really confusing, as of course they do, if you know what you believe and why you believe it, then you know how you should respond. And when you suffer loss, as surely you shall, you will know where to find the joy that is left.

June 18, 2012 at 3:14 pm |