home
RSS
Unbelieving preachers get help to 'come out' as open atheists
Minister-turned-atheist Jerry DeWitt speaks at ReasonFest in Kansas earlier this year.
June 13th, 2012

Unbelieving preachers get help to 'come out' as open atheists

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) - Jerry DeWitt entered the ministry when he was 17, launching a 25-year career as a Pentecostal preacher. He traveled all around his home state of Louisiana, preaching and ministering wherever he could.

All these years later, DeWitt, 42, is still on the road, and now takes his message all over the United States. But the nature of that message, along with his audience, has changed dramatically.

DeWitt is now an avowed atheist, and his audiences are made up of religious “nones,” the growing number of Americans who are atheist, agnostic, humanist or just plain disinterested in identifying with a religion. Today, DeWitt preaches a gospel of disbelief.

During his speeches, he talks about the process of leaving his preacher job. “If you don’t believe, then you will be like me - you’ll suddenly find yourself where you only have two choices,” DeWitt told a group in Johnson County, Kansas, earlier this year.

“You can either be honest that you don’t believe ... or you can pretend that you do,” he said. “Which is what so many people are doing and that is called faith.”

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

The transition from preacher to outspoken atheist has not been easy, and DeWitt is trying to smooth the way for other former believers. He is executive director of Recovering from Religion, an organization founded in 2009. Its slogan: “Thousands of organizations will help you get INTO religion, but we’re the only one helping you OUT.”

But a relatively new effort goes a step further than his own group by focusing on helping clergy in particular. In March 2011, a coalition that includes national groups such as American Atheists, the Freedom From Religion Foundation and the Richard Dawkins Foundation helped launch the Clergy Project, which is aimed at giving doubting and atheist preachers a community in which they can talk about their disbelief.

The program's ultimate goal: to help unbelieving preachers to “come out” in real life.

A safe online community

The Clergy Project’s key component is a private online community of active and former pastors discussing their conversions to lives of active disbelief. It lets congregational leaders come out anonymously, using an alias.

“It is important to focus on any group of people who are in a lot of pain,” said Linda LaScola, a co-founder of the Clergy Project. “That is why the Clergy Project exists, and it wouldn’t be growing if there wasn’t a need for it.”

When it launched last year, 52 clergy signed up for the online community, according to LaScola. A little more than a year later, 270 members are contributing to the message boards and connecting anonymously with one another.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

According to LaScola, the community includes some rabbis, imams and Catholic priests, but the majority are Protestants.

Members are barred from disclosing what is discussed on the boards, but DeWitt said it’s a blend of humor, advice and encouragement. DeWitt, who left his congregation just over a year ago, is considered the group’s first graduate.

“It gave me confidence to come out,” DeWitt said of the Clergy Project. “Knowing that I was not alone, that I was not a fluke, that I was not a freak of religious nature, but that this is a process; it most definitely gave me confidence and a purpose.”

Jerry DeWitt, far right, in his days as a minister.

DeWitt said that after connecting with people on the message boards, he realized he faced fewer obstacles than some others who are trying to leave the ministry. For example, DeWitt's wife and son already knew about his disbelief, while other questioning preachers had not yet told their families.

“I think it is important when you are struggling that you talk it out, that you write about it, that you find support,” said Teresa MacBain, acting executive director of the Clergy Project. “I still try to reach out to people who are questioning, who are doubting, clergy people and laypeople alike, and let them know they are not alone, that there are people who care.”

How does he feed his family?

For 44 years, MacBain was involved in some sort of ministry, from organizing worship music to being a senior pastor at a Methodist church in Florida.

At a recent American Atheists convention in North Bethesda, Maryland, MacBain first publicly announced her atheism, inspiring a roaring round of applause. American Atheists President David Silverman walked onstage and hugged her as MacBain began to cry.

"I was the one on the right track, and you were the ones that were going to burn in hell," MacBain told the crowd. "And I'm happy to say as I stand before you right now, I'm going to burn with you."

She said she sees plenty of growth potential in the Clergy Project. In the near future, she said she hopes to incorporate it as a nonprofit and begin raising funds for clergy who have decided to leave ministry jobs. She also wants to compile a group of employment recruiters to help former clergy find new jobs.

DeWitt, for his part, is struggling financially and said his house could be foreclosed on in the next few months.

For former preachers in search of work, their old skills can be hard to translate into new fields. What references do former ministers use if they have disappointed their congregants by leaving the pulpit?

MacBain said that some “formers,” as she calls ex-clergy, have left their hometowns for new jobs in fields ranging from radio to counseling.

To aid those transitions, Recovering from Religion has started the Clergy Professional Relief Fund, dedicated to “helping ex-ministers have a soft landing after coming out of the ministry.” Though little money has been collected so far, the hope is to help former ministers with job training and relocation expenses.

“Even if you have a degree in divinity, that doesn’t really mean anything,” DeWitt said. “That is the biggest fear that a nonbelieving clergy member has. How does he feed his family?”

Losing faith, losing friends

As a young fresh-faced minister, DeWitt was first confronted with his disbelief when he “became the person who got the burden of preaching about hell,” he said. “I really loved the people I preached to, I loved them like family. So imagine preaching that if you don’t do this, you are going to burn in hell. That wasn’t easy for me.”

After doubt about hell, DeWitt began to research other schools of thought about God and belief. He began to develop other doubts, about certain biblical translations and about healing.

“The next big issue was the failure of prayer,” DeWitt said. “People are passing away, whenever we pray for them to live. People aren’t getting jobs, whenever we pray for them to have jobs.

“The harder we tried to alleviate suffering within our church, it seemed like the worse things got,” he said. “It didn’t seem like prayer made any difference. It just continually crushed my heart.”

When DeWitt decided to come out as an atheist, some in his congregation appeared shocked.

“I was very heartbroken actually because his family means so much to me; they are actually like family,” said Natosha Davis, 30, who attended DeWitt’s church for four years. “I was very heartbroken for him that he had to go through that and struggle.”

Many congregants were less charitable. “Some people where he lives just totally turned their backs on him,” Davis said. “He was ostracized, excommunicated. It is like he has a disease, but he doesn’t.”

When DeWitt runs into people he used to preach to, he still averts his eyes. Going to the post office and to Walmart, he said, can be stressful because of the possibility of running into a former congregant.

“It is because places in which you were once admired now you are suddenly scorned or pitied,” DeWitt said, who admits not having many friends anymore. “It makes for an extremely uncomfortable life.”

And yet DeWitt said his atheist life mirrors his old religious one in some key respects. In some ways, he said, he’s still a minister.

“The origin of the symmetry is me, is my personality, my love for people, my love for ministering,” DeWitt said. “What I have always tried to do is to minster from where I personally am at.

“When I was 17, I preached what I believed was best for people at the time; when I was 20, it was a little different; at 25 it was different, too,” he said. “And now at 42, I am still the same guy preaching what I see is best for people.”

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism • Christianity

soundoff (5,298 Responses)
  1. Dave - Phx

Religous nutjobs and lawyers are killing this country.

June 13, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
  2. Paul Olmstead

Unbelieving preachers get help to 'come out' as open atheists

I am not going in to a deep theology discussion here. I do want to state this regarding the comments on prayers not answered. How dare we question how God should answer our prayers. His answer may be yes (to heal, a job, promotion, etc). However, his answer may also be no, not right now, or His perfect will a completely different direction that He is trying to lead you. I am appalled that someone who says they were a minister and Believer and now state one of the reasons they are now an Atheist is because God did not answer their prayer how THEY wanted it to be answered. That is arrogance and utter disrespect for a Holy and Righteous God who created us.

June 13, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
    • Snow

word of the day for you to look up.. coincidence..

June 13, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
    • Bob

Paul, that's some weird definition of "righteous" you're invoking there, when the Christian book of nasty AKA the bible has god demanding that you do nasty stuff like the following. Your god must be quite the jerk, to be polite:

Numbers 31:17-18
      17 Now kiII all the boys. And kiII every woman who has slept with a man,
      18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

Deuteronomy 13:6 – “If your brother, your mother’s son or your son or daughter, or the wife you cherish, or your friend who is as your own soul entice you secretly, saying, let us go and serve other gods … you shall surely kill him; your hand shall be first against him to put him to death”

Note that the bible is also very clear that you should sacrifice and burn an animal today because the smell makes sicko Christian sky fairy happy. No, you don't get to use the parts for food. You burn them, a complete waste of the poor animal.

Yes, the bible really says that, everyone. Yes, it's in Leviticus, look it up. Yes, Jesus purportedly said that the OT commands still apply. No exceptions. But even if you think the OT was god's mistaken first go around, you have to ask why a perfect, loving enti-ty would ever put such horrid instructions in there. If you think rationally at all, that is.

And then, if you disagree with my interpretation, ask yourself how it is that your "god" couldn't come up with a better way to communicate than a book that is so readily subject to so many interpretations and to being taken "out of context", and has so many mistakes in it. Pretty pathetic god that you've made for yourself.

So get out your sacrificial knife or your nasty sky creature will torture you eternally. Or just take a closer look at your foolish supersti-tions, understand that they are just silly, and toss them into the dustbin with all the rest of the gods that man has created.

Ask the questions. Break the chains. Join the movement. Be free of Christianity and other superstitions.

June 13, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
    • Ace

Let's assume for a moment that what you say is true and God answers prayers in his wisdom.
      Then what's the point?
      If his answer will be what it will be regardless of what you ask for, then why pray at all?
      Just so that God knows what you want? He knows already. Right?
      The only reason I can think of is for self-satisfaction and the feeling that "the problem is now in His hands". Sadly that's a false sense due to what's stated above and the fact that people will ask for things they really want/need.
      Nothing wrong with it. But not much use to it either I guess...

June 13, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
    • tony

You a have a disgusting disrespect for reasoning and the analysis of evidence.

June 13, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • Ace

This God sounds very full of himself. Do Muslims really need to pray 5 times a day? Does God really want them doing that or looking for the cure for cancer? I see how Christians treat my gay friends and I will have no part of this cult.

June 13, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
  3. JMB

St. Ignatius of Antioch, a student of the Apostle John – "Keep yourselves from those evil plants which Jesus Christ does not tend, because they are not the planting of the Father. Not that I have found any division among you, but exceeding purity. For as many as are of God and of Jesus Christ are also with the bishop. And as many as shall, in the exercise of repentance, return into the unity of the Church, these, too, shall belong to God, that they may live according to Jesus Christ. Do not err, my brethren. If any man follows him that makes a schism in the Church, he shall not inherit the kingdom of God. If any one walks according to a strange opinion, he agrees not with the passion [of Christ.]."

June 13, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
    • Alex

Wake me when its over! ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

June 13, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
    • fintastic

Wonderful.... another quote-bot

June 13, 2012 at 4:03 pm |
    • jackson

Do you follow the writing on bathroom walls as well?

June 14, 2012 at 9:58 am |
  4. formeragnostic

There is this notion that faith and reason are in contrast with each other which is absolutely false.
    Biblical Christian Faith is not the absence of reason. Faith is not an act of committing intellectual suicide as some like to accuse all religious people of doing.
    The bible defined faith as the “substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen”, only in the bible faith is defined with the words "substance" and "evidence" , because as far as the bible is concerned a biblical Christian faith is not a mindless leap in the dark, but is rooted in a Firm Foundation with enough historical, logical and empirical evidence to support it.
    I will submit that this preacher have not really encountered the real Jesus Christ nor gave his life to Him.
    "Doubt is not a result of a lack of belief in God, but an outcome of believing what God is not."
    God in the Dark by Oz Guiness

June 13, 2012 at 3:18 pm |
  5. tony

Just by simple arithmetic, 99.999% of the population of Heaven must be souls who died long before Christianity existed.

June 13, 2012 at 3:18 pm |
    • King

If they did not accept Jesus Christ as their savior, then how in the world did they get to Heaven?

June 13, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
    • Petercha

God provided a way for those who lived before Christ. I can't say exactly what His methodology was, except that it involved faith. Read Hebrews 11 for a partial list of pre-Christ people who made it to Heaven.

June 13, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
    • Debbie

How do the mortal authors of Hebrew 11 know which pre-Christ individuals made it into Heaven? They don't.

June 13, 2012 at 3:48 pm |
  6. bobo

"The fanatical atheists," Einstein said, "are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who—in their grudge against traditional religion as the 'opium of the masses'—cannot hear the music of the spheres." Organized factions, whether religious or otherwise, only breed exclusion not acceptance. Why does humanity feel the need to label their personal beliefs to be accepted by society? Can people not have a knowledge within themselves without having to seek out a support group to validate them?

June 13, 2012 at 3:18 pm |
    • Jim

Without Christians, who would brow beat gay Americans generation after generation after generation after generation?

June 13, 2012 at 3:50 pm |
    • Agnes

No one really believes, they just attend church as a hedge in case there really is a Heaven. If there is, then they will have some insurance to present to God in the form of perfect attendance at Sunday school.

June 13, 2012 at 3:58 pm |
    • fintastic

Here's another Einstein quote you might find interesting.

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."

June 13, 2012 at 4:09 pm |
  7. Erika

I'm so happy that at the age of 27 I've realized that there is no God that exists...if there is a skydaddy, he's done a really crappy job and has some major explaining to do.

June 13, 2012 at 3:18 pm |
    • TruthShines

Only some people who never had an encounter with God don't believe in God. God is from Everlasting to Everlasting.

June 13, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
    • mkane

if you believe God is an old bearded fat guy who sits on a cloud, of course yes i agree, that is man made. its called idolatry. you are right not to believe. its the latest western incantation of a false God. God is never represented this way in the Bible.

June 13, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
    • bembol

Good for you Erika.

June 14, 2012 at 1:45 am |
  8. Ryan

These groups must have incredible PR people. I am hearing stories like these everywhere, but it is involving the same two or three groups (I think all are mentioned in this article) and the same two ro three preachers "coming out."

June 13, 2012 at 3:18 pm |
  9. Pete in SF

Belief is important but each person's spiritual journey is unique. Each of us need to listen to our hearts and embrace beliefs that lead us to greater compassion for ourselves and others. Do not judge others for having a different set of beliefs, particularly when those beliefs motivate them to acts of compassion.

June 13, 2012 at 3:18 pm |
    • tony

and non-beliefs that equally allow acts of compassion.

June 13, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
    • Snow

I agree.. I only wish I could hear that from all the religious people as well.

June 13, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
    • Gregg

If there was one ounce of compassion in all of religion, gay people would not be fighting for full participation in this life.

June 13, 2012 at 3:53 pm |
  10. Montesin

I don't know what the big deal is about this new trend. We invented God, so what is wrong with dis inventing him. It is all a human fabrication out of fear and ignorance of where we come from and where we are going.
    Does it mean God does not exist? not at all. All it means is that our creation is just that, a human fiction, and the reality may be shocking to our brains.

June 13, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
  11. Chad

Tragic stuff..

Of course like every Christian I get extremely frustrated when God won't do what I tell Him to do.
    but
    that doesnt mean He doesnt exist.

June 13, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
    • Derek

God doesn't exist.

June 13, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
    • tony

or less likely, does.

June 13, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
  12. dmc64

I don't know if there's a God, or a heaven, or a hell; but if you require definition of evil, take a trip to Jerry Sanduskyville (not to mention evil's all-time hero, the illustrious Adolf Hitler).

June 13, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
    • Truth Today

This may surprise you. But read the Bible and learn.

June 13, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
    • tony

And eat your millet, spelt and lentils.

June 13, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
  13. robert

To be honest and I am really being honest here... I have never met a really happy atheist or agnostic. I have seen lonely, bitter, hurt and discouraged ones but never really truly happy ones. You might say the same about Christians that are in legalistic, works based churches or communites. However, in communities of faith where the Grace of God is taught and practiced in a context of unconditional love, generosity and true sacrifice, a deep abiding joy abounds. You may say this is just anecdotal and you are right. It is just my experience. But it is my experience. Just saying...

June 13, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
    • MB415

Well said Robert, and so true. I have experienced this joy in my relationship with God. It has been such a beautiful journey of healing, restoration and love. I would not trade it for the world.

June 13, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
    • dmc64

Can't say we're on the same page theologically, but I am stalwartly for the good you may be doing for other people, regardless of their religious beliefs.

June 13, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
    • tony

But then you probably haven't slept with an atheist either.

June 13, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
    • Someone

robert – i am a very happy Agnostic. My life is not perfect, the world we live in is not perfect. but I am happy, healthy, and respectful of others. I love deeply, share honestly, and speak freely my own opinions. and they are just my opinions. I do not think ill of others beliefs as I have many religious friends and family including an Uncle that is a minister. I am in no way lonely nor a loner. I am surrounded by the love of a wonderful family and many friends. Just because I don't believe in God does not mean I don't believe in something, but I can't call it God. again, just my opinion and my feelings. nothing more, nothing less. Live, Love, Laugh.

June 13, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
    • Elaine

I am a very happy agnostic and so are most of my friends. I think it must just have something to do with the people with whom I associate.

June 13, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
    • Susan

You haven't met me. I am not bitter, lonely, or hurt. I just don't believe there is a god, devil, heaven or hell. I am a truly happy athiest. I believe in myself and those I love. I have no interest in doinig ill will towards others and feel that we should all live and let live.

June 13, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

This atheist and his atheist family are quite content, thank you!
      My home is filled with love, laughter, music and books. Lots of books. Including many about world religions, current and historical.
      To be honest, my kid is far more interested in the biology/anatomy books in our collection than the ones about mythology.

June 13, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
    • Really-O?

@robert –

The fact that religious belief makes some people happy is no indication as to whether the belief is true or not. It also is no indication as to whether the belief is ultimately advantageous.

June 13, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
    • fintastic

Doc wrote;

"This atheist and his atheist family are quite content, thank you!
      My home is filled with love, laughter, music and books."

Same here Doc. Same here. I think the religious really want to believe that atheists are unhappy... nothing could be further from the truth in my life.

June 13, 2012 at 4:41 pm |
  14. hobgoblin11

Wait.. what?!!?!? There is no magic sky papa!?????!?!?!?

June 13, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
  15. Helmont

Please give us more quotes from a book written by people as the word of god to prove your argument.
    A thousand years from now people will be quoting lines from the 3rd edition of the AD&D Players Handbook on how to be a good Paladin and community leader.

June 13, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
    • Wraith

This made me chuckle. I approve. 🙂

June 13, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
  16. JustAO

Go watch movies such as AVP, Promethius, or the Invention of Lying; then come talk to me about religion.

Folk lore is what we call religion so people don't go around marrying animals and eating their kids as canibals. Yes, religion was created for lower class/uneducated society to follow so the powerful stayed in power.

June 13, 2012 at 3:14 pm |
    • Truth Today

Watching a movie does noy qualify as rigorous searching that results in accurate information on which to base one's life and eternal outcomes.

June 13, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
    • tony

Watching the Universe does.

June 13, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
    • heardbyateacher

So – Are you saying that a prerequisite for discussing religion is viewing hollywood cinema? I would submit that some people could possibly be qualified to discuss religion without watching films which were primarily designed for the purpose of entertainment.

June 13, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
  17. Rev. Kathryn Riss

Dear friends who have lost your faith:

I feel so sad for you! I am sorry that your prayers were not answered in the way you hoped. I am sorry that you gave up your relationship with Christ for anything else, because nothing and noone else can ever take His place. If you can remember the former times when you knew and loved Jesus, you will know that is true.

I was an atheist for 25 years. The Lord caught up with me at the Grand Canyon, and filled me with love. He took away all my anger, fear, depression and loneliness. My life has never been the same, and I will be eternally grateful for God's mercy on me! I, too, have experienced major losses and disappointments as a Christian. These things happen when our will is not fully yielded to God's will, and they can hurt dreadfully. But I could never allow suffering to rob me of the hope I have in Christ. He fills my life with joy and peace! And He does answer prayer, especially prayers for others who suffer more than we do. I will pray for you.

Please remember, "a bruised reed He will not break." If in weakness but sincerity you turn back to Christ and give Him all your hurt, He will gladly accept you and restore your soul. "Pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge unto us."

May God bless you and help you to recover.

With love, from your sister in Christ.

June 13, 2012 at 3:14 pm |
    • sleepytime

What were your reasons for being an atheist?

June 13, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
    • waterman

Why do you think God does not regrow cut off limbs to their original form?

June 13, 2012 at 3:18 pm |
    • Humanist11

Rev,

I sincerely hope that you have the integrity to read the entire bible and justify all the actions that your god has taken. I further hope that you do not engage children with your religion and attempt to give them all the answers to life before they have a chance to become curious and ask questions. Please think before you try to convince someone to give up their one and only life in order to secure a place in heaven, which does not exist. I feel very sad for you and the poor folks that follow you.

June 13, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
    • tony

Ignorance is Riss

June 13, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
    • dmc64

Kathryn,

That was a lovely statement, and I was genuinely touched by it. I agree with you; Christ was the embodiment of all that is noble in man. Regardless of the militant atheists' attack on Old Testament morality in an effort to obfuscate the mercy and love of the New Testament, I follow, as best I can Christ's example; however, I do have profound doubts, but I have & will, in any event, continue to try to live my life according to his example.

June 13, 2012 at 3:37 pm |
    • heardbyateacher

Isn't it great that we all feel sad for each other! Believers and unbelievers alike feel sympathy for the "other sides'" situation.

I hate being over-dogmatic, but let's look at this thought – Rev. Riss is being asked to "justify" the actions of God. Justify the actions of God? Isn't that a contradiction in terms? The whole concept of God is that this is a being who could do whatever He/She decided to do, and the one created cannot argue with that (This concept is discussed in Romans chapter 9, amongst others). The beauty of Christianity is that we believe this God CHOSE to extend an olive branch to humanity. God CHOSE to be at peace with God.

Now is the time I will choose to not be so dogmatic. For as much as Christians are told about the inerrancy of Scripture, I feel that it is important to interpret Scripture with Scripture. Since Jesus Christ is believed to be the full manifestation of the character of God, all scripture must be seen through his lens. A lot of scriptures that atheist use to diminish the validity of God are Old Testament Scriptures about God's wrath. I believe that all of those scriptures must be seen in the light of Jesus – the one who refused to take up a sword, the one who forgave those who sought to kill him, and the one who extended forgiveness to the ones who should have been killed according to the religious law at the time. I'm personally not concerned in converting people to belief in Scriptural inerrancy, but I am concerned in introducing people to the Love of God as embodied in Christ.

June 13, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
    • heardbyateacher

*God CHOSE to be at peace with man.

June 13, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
    • Wraith

Why would your god choose to be at peace with man, after so long as a spiteful, childish tyrant? Did he realize he was wrong in treating humanity in such a way? If that is true, your god seeing his ways were wrong, then he cannot be perfect, and everything falls apart from there.

Or, was this all a part of your god's plans? If that is so, then saying he is loving etc, when the opposite is shown, proves also that he is wrong, and not perfect, or that he showed us how bad he could be so he'd be loved more when he wasn't being a jerk, at the very least, immoral.

I cannot get behind Christianity. Too many inconsistancies, too many fallacies, to many contradictions. Which, in this, I'm sure I'm going to get one of two rebuttals, either the, "oh yeah, what about the Big Bang," or the, "oh yeah, what about evolution." Which is sad. I keep looking for answers from Christianity, how it can explain all of these fallacies, inconsistancies, contradictions... But all I ever hear is the empty response on two theories that science is still working on an explanation for.

June 13, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
    • bembol

Reverend, I don't think you should read just one book.

June 14, 2012 at 1:53 am |
  18. asdf

lol I hope you didn't spend last weekend protesting something that doesn't exist

June 13, 2012 at 3:14 pm |
  19. It's All Mythology

It is very simple...

Man Created God

June 13, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
  20. Jean Malloy

James PDX Mostly Straight- How can you claim gentiles stole their religion from the Jews. Jews of old, even into modern time see their chief deity as being God. (the are credited for Monotheism) Christians(gentiles) did not wake up one morning and said, "Hey, I believe I'm going to start following after this Jesus (Christ) dude." No, they were "invited" into the fold by Jews who were converted from practicing Jews to believing Christians. And they were not converted by gentiles, but mostly (according to scriptures) by other than this world persuasions (like Paul, a persecutor of Christians) on the road to Damacus. It is so easy to make accusations when one is uninformed.

June 13, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

Actually, Zoroastrians are credited as the first organized monotheists.

June 13, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
    • Derek

Jean, that's just shuffling chairs on the Ti.tanic. The ship known as religion is going down big time. But maybe that is what you like to do.

June 13, 2012 at 3:21 pm |