home
RSS
Unbelieving preachers get help to 'come out' as open atheists
Minister-turned-atheist Jerry DeWitt speaks at ReasonFest in Kansas earlier this year.
June 13th, 2012

Unbelieving preachers get help to 'come out' as open atheists

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) - Jerry DeWitt entered the ministry when he was 17, launching a 25-year career as a Pentecostal preacher. He traveled all around his home state of Louisiana, preaching and ministering wherever he could.

All these years later, DeWitt, 42, is still on the road, and now takes his message all over the United States. But the nature of that message, along with his audience, has changed dramatically.

DeWitt is now an avowed atheist, and his audiences are made up of religious “nones,” the growing number of Americans who are atheist, agnostic, humanist or just plain disinterested in identifying with a religion. Today, DeWitt preaches a gospel of disbelief.

During his speeches, he talks about the process of leaving his preacher job. “If you don’t believe, then you will be like me - you’ll suddenly find yourself where you only have two choices,” DeWitt told a group in Johnson County, Kansas, earlier this year.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

The transition from preacher to outspoken atheist has not been easy, and DeWitt is trying to smooth the way for other former believers. He is executive director of Recovering from Religion, an organization founded in 2009. Its slogan: “Thousands of organizations will help you get INTO religion, but we’re the only one helping you OUT.”

But a relatively new effort goes a step further than his own group by focusing on helping clergy in particular. In March 2011, a coalition that includes national groups such as American Atheists, the Freedom From Religion Foundation and the Richard Dawkins Foundation helped launch the Clergy Project, which is aimed at giving doubting and atheist preachers a community in which they can talk about their disbelief.

The program's ultimate goal: to help unbelieving preachers to “come out” in real life.

A safe online community

The Clergy Project’s key component is a private online community of active and former pastors discussing their conversions to lives of active disbelief. It lets congregational leaders come out anonymously, using an alias.

“It is important to focus on any group of people who are in a lot of pain,” said Linda LaScola, a co-founder of the Clergy Project. “That is why the Clergy Project exists, and it wouldn’t be growing if there wasn’t a need for it.”

When it launched last year, 52 clergy signed up for the online community, according to LaScola. A little more than a year later, 270 members are contributing to the message boards and connecting anonymously with one another.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

According to LaScola, the community includes some rabbis, imams and Catholic priests, but the majority are Protestants.

Members are barred from disclosing what is discussed on the boards, but DeWitt said it’s a blend of humor, advice and encouragement. DeWitt, who left his congregation just over a year ago, is considered the group’s first graduate.

“It gave me confidence to come out,” DeWitt said of the Clergy Project. “Knowing that I was not alone, that I was not a fluke, that I was not a freak of religious nature, but that this is a process; it most definitely gave me confidence and a purpose.”

Jerry DeWitt, far right, in his days as a minister.

DeWitt said that after connecting with people on the message boards, he realized he faced fewer obstacles than some others who are trying to leave the ministry. For example, DeWitt's wife and son already knew about his disbelief, while other questioning preachers had not yet told their families.

“I think it is important when you are struggling that you talk it out, that you write about it, that you find support,” said Teresa MacBain, acting executive director of the Clergy Project. “I still try to reach out to people who are questioning, who are doubting, clergy people and laypeople alike, and let them know they are not alone, that there are people who care.”

How does he feed his family?

For 44 years, MacBain was involved in some sort of ministry, from organizing worship music to being a senior pastor at a Methodist church in Florida.

At a recent American Atheists convention in North Bethesda, Maryland, MacBain first publicly announced her atheism, inspiring a roaring round of applause. American Atheists President David Silverman walked onstage and hugged her as MacBain began to cry.

"I was the one on the right track, and you were the ones that were going to burn in hell," MacBain told the crowd. "And I'm happy to say as I stand before you right now, I'm going to burn with you."

She said she sees plenty of growth potential in the Clergy Project. In the near future, she said she hopes to incorporate it as a nonprofit and begin raising funds for clergy who have decided to leave ministry jobs. She also wants to compile a group of employment recruiters to help former clergy find new jobs.

DeWitt, for his part, is struggling financially and said his house could be foreclosed on in the next few months.

For former preachers in search of work, their old skills can be hard to translate into new fields. What references do former ministers use if they have disappointed their congregants by leaving the pulpit?

MacBain said that some “formers,” as she calls ex-clergy, have left their hometowns for new jobs in fields ranging from radio to counseling.

To aid those transitions, Recovering from Religion has started the Clergy Professional Relief Fund, dedicated to “helping ex-ministers have a soft landing after coming out of the ministry.” Though little money has been collected so far, the hope is to help former ministers with job training and relocation expenses.

“Even if you have a degree in divinity, that doesn’t really mean anything,” DeWitt said. “That is the biggest fear that a nonbelieving clergy member has. How does he feed his family?”

Losing faith, losing friends

As a young fresh-faced minister, DeWitt was first confronted with his disbelief when he “became the person who got the burden of preaching about hell,” he said. “I really loved the people I preached to, I loved them like family. So imagine preaching that if you don’t do this, you are going to burn in hell. That wasn’t easy for me.”

After doubt about hell, DeWitt began to research other schools of thought about God and belief. He began to develop other doubts, about certain biblical translations and about healing.

“The next big issue was the failure of prayer,” DeWitt said. “People are passing away, whenever we pray for them to live. People aren’t getting jobs, whenever we pray for them to have jobs.

“The harder we tried to alleviate suffering within our church, it seemed like the worse things got,” he said. “It didn’t seem like prayer made any difference. It just continually crushed my heart.”

When DeWitt decided to come out as an atheist, some in his congregation appeared shocked.

“I was very heartbroken actually because his family means so much to me; they are actually like family,” said Natosha Davis, 30, who attended DeWitt’s church for four years. “I was very heartbroken for him that he had to go through that and struggle.”

Many congregants were less charitable. “Some people where he lives just totally turned their backs on him,” Davis said. “He was ostracized, excommunicated. It is like he has a disease, but he doesn’t.”

When DeWitt runs into people he used to preach to, he still averts his eyes. Going to the post office and to Walmart, he said, can be stressful because of the possibility of running into a former congregant.

“It is because places in which you were once admired now you are suddenly scorned or pitied,” DeWitt said, who admits not having many friends anymore. “It makes for an extremely uncomfortable life.”

And yet DeWitt said his atheist life mirrors his old religious one in some key respects. In some ways, he said, he’s still a minister.

“The origin of the symmetry is me, is my personality, my love for people, my love for ministering,” DeWitt said. “What I have always tried to do is to minster from where I personally am at.

“When I was 17, I preached what I believed was best for people at the time; when I was 20, it was a little different; at 25 it was different, too,” he said. “And now at 42, I am still the same guy preaching what I see is best for people.”

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism • Christianity

soundoff (5,298 Responses)
  1. Steve

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Where is the extraordinary evidence that backs up the existence of a God?

June 13, 2012 at 3:53 pm |
    • John

June 13, 2012 at 3:56 pm |
    • Steve

John, I don't have to prove the non-existence of anything. It is up to the maker of the claim to prove they are right. I am not the one making any kind of claim here. If I tell you I have wings and I can fly, you would expect me to prove my claims and not you to prove me wrong, right?

June 13, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
    • wayne

"Where's the extradinory evidence that there isn't? Just your version of truth Steve?"

With thinking like that you must believe in every single God ever dreamed up.

June 13, 2012 at 4:02 pm |
    • perrrob

I have a pet Unicorn ... take my word for it ...

June 13, 2012 at 4:09 pm |
    • robert

@John, you really must consider for a moment, as should all of the faithful, that the reason you believe what you do is because you were taught to and you don't know any different. If you were born in another place and/or time you would believe in different god(s), or perhaps no gods and feel just as justified. The fact that you are ignorant of any other option, as you clearly are ignorant of basic logic, means you are not only unwilling to consider another belief but fundamentally incapable of thinking any other way. Sad to live in an intellectual prison.

June 13, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
  2. Pentecostal believer

by pentecostal experience I find it hard to believe that he could be a pastor of a pentecostal church and not believe...
    The pentecostal experiece for me caused me to initially reject most al forms of Christianity mainly because they had no real proof or anchor to their faith as is given to the pentecostal believer ...but I do realize that there is a lot of pretend in even pentecostalism ...this is why I drew myself alone for some period and proved God to myself.. I already knew of his existance but I did not have enough experiences with HIM to SATISFY ME!!!!!
    ...... and this is what is sadly lacking among most Christians here in the USA...

June 13, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
    • Steve

Interesting. What was the proof you came up for God's existence?

June 13, 2012 at 3:54 pm |
    • Which God??

psst. pentecostal. Wanna buy a bridge? How about a golden idol? Cheap, just for 'believers.'

June 13, 2012 at 3:55 pm |
    • A W Messenger

Totally agree with @Pentecostal believer. I was Spiritually awakened to the ever-present God in my life, and I can say beyond doubt He is real, He is alive, and He will forever reign. Those preachers, or those who have now 'converted' to atheism, were never believers to begin with in my book.

Most of them probably were raised in a manner where they simply thought they were supposed to believe, so they did. As such, it is not surprising to me that some come to a point of disbelief. That in a sense, is not really a point of disbelief, but one of self-awareness.

The sad thing is, they will eventually awaken to a point of true belief that is absolutely real, and when they do it will be too late.

Such things have been prophesied in the Bible. Many will turn away from Him. Many false doctrines will be brought to light.

June 13, 2012 at 4:02 pm |
    • Steve

A W Messenger, so being convinced that God is real is your proof that he is real? I guess you are just as good as these 9/11 hijacker who smashed planes into buildings. They were convinced their God existed as well. Way to go. Be as deluded as you like but by all means though, don't kill anybody.

June 13, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
  3. Pelegrim

Beyond the universe there is nothing and within the universe the supernatural does not and cannot exist. Of all deceivers who have plagued mankind, none are so deeply ruinous to human happiness as those impostors who pretend to lead by a light above nature. Science has never killed or persecuted a single person for doubting or denying its teachings, and most of these teachings have been true; but religion has murdered millions for doubting or denying her dogmas, and most of these dogmas have been false.

June 13, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
    • Pentecostal believer

the reason why many persecute and kill is because they are seeking proof fo theri religion at the other persons cost.. 🙂

I must admit that I got proof at the begining at age 24 , and I only seek more evidence so as to become a much more efective witness for Jesus to all the world ..I expect top be persecuted by many denominational Christians who have no proof of Christ... 🙂

June 13, 2012 at 3:55 pm |
    • Which God??

Pelegrim. Nicely said!

June 13, 2012 at 3:56 pm |
    • Steve

So Pentecostal believer, what's you proof?

June 13, 2012 at 4:02 pm |
  4. AverageJoe76

Reasons I Question the 'God' concept: God could've shut people up long ago if He'd just start walking amongst us, yet...... he'd rather you play yourself and choose the wrong God so he can send your a ss to H ell. Thanks, "loving God"

June 13, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
    • Pentecostal believer

God did come here among us Joe and we killed him just as he predicted we would in the bible...

now I have proof of his resurrection and that si the Holy Spirit which dwells in me.....

persons like you which are many make me wanna go home and pray more , because I have not reached that point yet where I can come and change you on th einide by the power 0f God himself.. there are just too far few of us... and we live in a very big pretending nation fo Christianty..

June 13, 2012 at 3:59 pm |
    • AverageJoe76

@Pentecostal believer – The goodness in you that wants to help me, THAT right there.... I can have faith in. Thank you.

June 13, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
    • Scotty

That's such a bush league answer. You could say that about anything. I could say I have proof we are all the disciples of a spaghetti monster, and I have proof INSIDE OF ME TOO!! Prove me wrong..

Your probably saying to yourself "well that's ridiculous everyone knows a spaghetti monster isn't god"

Well that's how an Athiest views your belief's, far fetched, and ridiculous. Accepting that god is a real person, to to an athiest, is like believing that Santa Claus actually flies around the world every christmas delivering presents.

June 13, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
    • Scotty

And just so we're both clear,

neither of our answers give a shred of evidence towards the existance of any god. You can continue to believe you proved god's existence by stating he is inside of you. But we both truly know that's a cop out.

June 13, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
  5. Bleh64

Well if i'm going to burn in hell i know a bunch of scientologists that will be joining me (false god and or idol worship and such) hehe, gawd i hope the victoria secret angels are either athiest or scientologists!!!

June 13, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
  6. stanknasty

I bet this so called minister had some closet sins that he doesn't want to repent of.... also how can this fool preach for 25 years and never have an encounter with Jesus Christ? That's just crazy to preach without your own personal experience with Jesus. He was preaching someone else's opinion not revelation from the Lord.

June 13, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
    • Adam

"how can this fool preach for 25 years and never have an encounter with Jesus Christ"

This is not a hard question to answer. Put aside the dogma that has fossilized inside of your head, take a deep breath, and ask yourself the question again. There is an answer, and it is a simple one.

June 13, 2012 at 3:54 pm |
    • wisdom4u2

I know, the Bible call such bozos 'fools'. Not only that, but he obviously didn't have faith the size of a mustard seed. He couldn't understand.
      "Rom.1:20 explains Atoms. tells us that things are made from the invisible things Heb.11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed (made to fit put in order) by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible. "The things which are seen are made of things not seen. This was not known until modern science discovered the invisible atoms, Invisible microscopic structures."
      He's one dodo bird.

June 13, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
    • Which God??

Well Stank., I guess you had a revelation and a relation with your jesus? Are you delusional? How can you have a relationship and experience something that does not exist? Your handle fits, you spew stank and nasty fiction.

June 13, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
    • robert

Seems like it is the closet sinners that enter the clergy and it isn't an experience with god they are looking for. By the way, thinking you had a real encounter with an imaginary being isn't religion, it is psychosis.

June 13, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
    • Primewonk

Wisdom wrote, " "Rom.1:20 explains Atoms"

Seriously? You sure that's how you want to roll?

Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

Nothing on the nucleus or electrons. Nothing on protons and neutrons. Nothing on electron spin. Nothing on quarks and gluons.

I'm sorry, and I don't mean this in a bad way, but you are an idiot.

June 13, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
    • wisdom4u2

@ Primewonk ~~~~ Yeah, that's how I want to roll....'cause it proves you're the i diot.... Did you not see the " " ?....huh?

June 13, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
  7. Robert Brown

You can’t make this stuff up.

From Merriam webster

Rhymes with ATHEISM

absurdism, activism, Adventism, alarmism, albinism, alpinism, anarchism, aneurysm, anglicism, animism, aphorism, Arabism, archaism, asterism, atavism, atomism, atticism,

and that is just the a’s.

June 13, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
    • AverageJoe76

@Robert Brown – rob..... seriously? Word-rhyming...?

June 13, 2012 at 3:53 pm |
    • LOL Religion

Pretty sure all those words rhyme with theism too. Do you know what 'rhyme' means?

June 13, 2012 at 3:54 pm |
    • Robert Brown

Lighten up guys. Funny is funny.

June 13, 2012 at 4:01 pm |
  8. AZ1962

“You can either be honest that you don’t believe ... or you can pretend that you do,” he said. “Which is what so many people are doing and that is called faith.” >>> I feel what is happening is that more people are pulling away from Religion because we are now allowed to see it for what it is. We see these leaders hurting little children in the name of GOD. The world is changing and they don't like it...cannot control the people anymore. He says one reason he doesn't believe is because prayers are not being answered. Well maybe they are praying for the wrong things! I'm reading a book about water "The Hidden Messages in Water" it appears that all life came from water, so if water made us and the earth which both are 70% water then maybe water is GOD and GOD is water, so maybe we better start taking better care of WATER. Stop praying and start doing...take care of each other, love the earth, love all animals. Stop the killing, hurting we humans brought that into our world not GOD...

June 13, 2012 at 3:50 pm |
  9. Evangelical

June 13, 2012 at 3:50 pm |
    • UncleM

Thanks for proving that religion is the worst side of humanity.

June 13, 2012 at 3:52 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

Evangelical is getting more troll like everyday.

June 13, 2012 at 3:55 pm |
    • wayne

What is there to expose? Maybe we should expose your non belief in Allah? Makes as much sense.

June 13, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
    • perrrob

Religion is like communism. It needs to be ferreted out, exposed, and ostracized.

June 13, 2012 at 3:58 pm |
    • QS

"Atheism is like communism. It needs to be ferreted out, exposed, and ostracized."

Conservatism is like religion...it needs to be ferreted out, exposed and ostracized....and then eliminated.

There, fixed! 🙂

June 13, 2012 at 4:01 pm |
  10. Mike

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!!! And nobody knows whats next. So take all your heaven and hell talk and everything else and keep it to yourself......because nobody knows...so everything is just talk....let people die in peace without scaring them with a bunch of mumbo jumbo.....because thats what it all is........oh...and the Bible was written by man....especially the King James version....lol.

June 13, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
  11. Sharkfisher

In other words these pretenders need help owning up to being swindlers. They are no better than robbers. God will hold them accountable.

June 13, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
    • wayne

You do know there is a such thing as believing and then realizing that you don't believe in what you did anymore. Please spare me the no true scotsman fallacy

June 13, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
    • John

Yeah and all these gullible atheists are buying into the hoopla just like the gullible christians did. So funny that they can't see through this,

June 13, 2012 at 3:53 pm |
  12. Jkzaw

Congratulations, Mr. DeWitt! Now your life free from the chains of religion can begin.

June 13, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
  13. John Stefanyszyn

There is one belief and way of life that the atheist, the religious christian, the religious muslim, the religious jew, the religous (all other religions) share as their common belief ("religion" above all beliefs).....

Do you realize what it is?

The belief in the way of life of freedom from the One True God, from Yahweh, and from His Son Jesus Christ as the One True Way, SO AS TO BE FREE to worship one's self-rights...to believe that it is right to worship the "religion" or "non religion" as per one's self-interest and self-justification.

But it is Only Christ that will return as KING to rule the earth...according to the One Way of Yahweh.

As it is written...there will be weeping and there will be the gnashing of teeth.

June 13, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
    • Evangeline

John: proof or piss off, please.

June 13, 2012 at 3:50 pm |
    • QS

Well then, as it was written, people will eventually be turned into food called Soylent Green.

You can't prove the idea from this book won't come true anymore than you can prove the ideas from your book will.

June 13, 2012 at 3:59 pm |
    • perrrob

Not true ... you have your Gods all wrong.

It's Only Aragorn that will return as KING to rule the earth...according to the One Way of Gandalf.

June 13, 2012 at 4:01 pm |
  14. robert

Are the dark ages coming to an end? Is the Age of Reason finally living up to its name? Are the people at last realizing that religion is nothing more than an ancient artifact that divides them instead of bringing them together? I can't wait to see a world in which every act of bigotry, every atrocity, all human ignorance and weakness can no longer be justified by some all-powerful imaginary being. "Imagine there is no heaven". Well then, I guess we will need to build one here on earth.

June 13, 2012 at 3:48 pm |
    • BAM

Robert, you are so right. Once religion is gone, people will do those exact same things with a different justification.

Some people have faith in an imaginary God, others have faith in an imaginary world where humans won't act as the base primates they really are.

Well done. When you are chancellor of the universe will you outlaw greed, envy and violence or when all the churches, mosques and temples torn down will we all just clasp hands spontaneously.

Let's be realistic folks. Religious people suck, atheists suck, it is just the human condition.

June 13, 2012 at 3:52 pm |
    • robert

@BAM, with or without religion, good people will do good things and bad people will do bad things. It is only with religion that good people will do bad things. It will be enough for me when there are no more faithful calling for the death of someone for no more reason than believing differently from them or Imams calling for Jihad for some trivial slight. The world will never be perfect, but stepping away from religion will allow us to take a big step towards a world in which all people are equal and deserving of fundamental human rights. Please look up the fallacy of the perfect solution.

June 13, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
  15. wisdom4u2

"No matter how strenuously some may try to deny it, atheism is a belief system. It requires just as much faith (believing) to embrace that God does not exist, even more belief than a Christian would need to believe he does exist. Atheism has made a secular belief system (religion/philosophy) of having no God and their focus is usually nature. God's creation has replaced the one who made it. An atheist must assume that personal unique intricate living organisms arose from impersonal disorderly chaos. Something had to come from nothing. They have no explanation for a beginning of when or why. There is no purpose in what we see and call creation. Atheism assumes that the potential gives rise to the actual. Reality shows that something actualized the potential itself. All Potentials have an actualizer. Scrap iron from a junk yard does not form itself into an airplane or a building without some thing that is able to put it to order. All designs have a designer, and the universe has proven to be incredibly designed. Even the minutest organism is more complex than the space shuttle."
    So True!

June 13, 2012 at 3:48 pm |
    • QS

LMAO!

June 13, 2012 at 3:56 pm |
    • Snow

"They have no explanation for a beginning of when or why." ... yet.

"All Potentials have an actualizer. Scrap iron from a junk yard does not form itself into an airplane".. I guess you think god put the picture of man's face on mars too, coz, it could not have happened without a designer, right?

June 13, 2012 at 3:58 pm |
    • robert

Before criticising it is best to understand. You are clearly very ignorant about atheism but also basic science and logic.

The onus of proof is on those that assert the affirmative of the existence of. Atheists do not say, "god does not exist". They say, the assertion that god exists has not be proven, therefore we can proceed as though god does not exist, the same way people proceed as though dragons, elves and the flying spaghetti monster do not exist. The same way Christians, Jews and Muslims proceed as though Thor, Zeus and Aten do not exist.

And the argument that god must exist because complex things can only come from complex things is idiotic and well refuted, besides, it is hypocritical because it then forces you to accept that god must have been created by an even more powerful god, and so on. Instead of quoting a born again Christian's misunderstanding about the law of entropy, why don't you try to understand the real thing? Or is your faith not strong enough to stand the test?

June 13, 2012 at 4:01 pm |
    • wisdom4u2

You can't argue with 'Truth'.....duhhhh....grow a brain, dodos

June 13, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
    • Primewonk

Why is it that fundiots, like wisdom, who purposefully choose to be ignorant, come onto message boards and demonstrate that ignorance?

June 13, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
    • wisdom4u2

Primewonk is the same stu pid troll who hangs around on all the forums looking for an opportunity to poke fun of anything and everything, 'cause it has nothing else to do but wait on it's 'crazy' check each month.

June 13, 2012 at 4:44 pm |
  16. AverageJoe76

Reasons I Question the 'God' concept: If God really wanted to have everyone 'saved', then Hell wouldn't have been created. And all humans would have innate confirmation and understanding of God already. Simply; there would be no guessing.

June 13, 2012 at 3:48 pm |
  17. John

What a joke. Once all the word of faith teachers finish fleecing the flock of their money, they put on new clothes and preach atheism. It's all about money with these guys. I guess Benny Hinn and his group will be next after they bleed the gullible so-called christians dry.

June 13, 2012 at 3:47 pm |
  18. Mike

What about the 200,000 years of Modern Humans who never had the opportunity to know your Jesus? Are they just $%^#ed? That doesn't seem fair

June 13, 2012 at 3:47 pm |
    • LOL Religion

Don't be silly, the earth is only 6000 years old.

June 13, 2012 at 3:52 pm |
  19. Whahappen

Let me just say this is what makes this country great! we can speak freely about what we want and not get our hands chopped off for it! For that we can all agree I think! if anything it goes viral on youtube but great!

June 13, 2012 at 3:47 pm |
  20. WakeUP

People believe in God because they are brainwashed into believing that the Devil will do awful things to them if they dont. WAKE UP PEOPLE! I went to church 3 times a week for 20 years. Along the way, I realized that something didnt add up. Any time I questioned a story in the bible (old and New testament) I was made to feel uneasy(Catholic church FYI). "Your just going to have faith, even if things dont add up, or make sense" i'd be told.
    Is there a creator? Well, all this suffering and not one word from "Him". If there is a "God" then it is not what we have been led to believe he is. Want the truth, or a more likely reality? Go watch the History channels Ancient Aliens.

June 13, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
    • QS

I'm sorry you had to waste so much time trying to force yourself to believe what others do.

I consider myself one of the lucky ones that came to the same realization you did, only at a very young age.

June 13, 2012 at 3:55 pm |
    • Sharkfisher

You van watch the histor channel. That is your right as a free american. I will read the Bible .That is MY right as a free american. I wont tell you that you are stupid for what you believe. So don't call me stupid for what I believe. That is the Ateist and muslim and communist way.

June 13, 2012 at 3:58 pm |