home
RSS
Unbelieving preachers get help to 'come out' as open atheists
Minister-turned-atheist Jerry DeWitt speaks at ReasonFest in Kansas earlier this year.
June 13th, 2012

Unbelieving preachers get help to 'come out' as open atheists

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) - Jerry DeWitt entered the ministry when he was 17, launching a 25-year career as a Pentecostal preacher. He traveled all around his home state of Louisiana, preaching and ministering wherever he could.

All these years later, DeWitt, 42, is still on the road, and now takes his message all over the United States. But the nature of that message, along with his audience, has changed dramatically.

DeWitt is now an avowed atheist, and his audiences are made up of religious “nones,” the growing number of Americans who are atheist, agnostic, humanist or just plain disinterested in identifying with a religion. Today, DeWitt preaches a gospel of disbelief.

During his speeches, he talks about the process of leaving his preacher job. “If you don’t believe, then you will be like me - you’ll suddenly find yourself where you only have two choices,” DeWitt told a group in Johnson County, Kansas, earlier this year.

“You can either be honest that you don’t believe ... or you can pretend that you do,” he said. “Which is what so many people are doing and that is called faith.”

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

The transition from preacher to outspoken atheist has not been easy, and DeWitt is trying to smooth the way for other former believers. He is executive director of Recovering from Religion, an organization founded in 2009. Its slogan: “Thousands of organizations will help you get INTO religion, but we’re the only one helping you OUT.”

But a relatively new effort goes a step further than his own group by focusing on helping clergy in particular. In March 2011, a coalition that includes national groups such as American Atheists, the Freedom From Religion Foundation and the Richard Dawkins Foundation helped launch the Clergy Project, which is aimed at giving doubting and atheist preachers a community in which they can talk about their disbelief.

The program's ultimate goal: to help unbelieving preachers to “come out” in real life.

A safe online community

The Clergy Project’s key component is a private online community of active and former pastors discussing their conversions to lives of active disbelief. It lets congregational leaders come out anonymously, using an alias.

“It is important to focus on any group of people who are in a lot of pain,” said Linda LaScola, a co-founder of the Clergy Project. “That is why the Clergy Project exists, and it wouldn’t be growing if there wasn’t a need for it.”

When it launched last year, 52 clergy signed up for the online community, according to LaScola. A little more than a year later, 270 members are contributing to the message boards and connecting anonymously with one another.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

According to LaScola, the community includes some rabbis, imams and Catholic priests, but the majority are Protestants.

Members are barred from disclosing what is discussed on the boards, but DeWitt said it’s a blend of humor, advice and encouragement. DeWitt, who left his congregation just over a year ago, is considered the group’s first graduate.

“It gave me confidence to come out,” DeWitt said of the Clergy Project. “Knowing that I was not alone, that I was not a fluke, that I was not a freak of religious nature, but that this is a process; it most definitely gave me confidence and a purpose.”

Jerry DeWitt, far right, in his days as a minister.

DeWitt said that after connecting with people on the message boards, he realized he faced fewer obstacles than some others who are trying to leave the ministry. For example, DeWitt's wife and son already knew about his disbelief, while other questioning preachers had not yet told their families.

“I think it is important when you are struggling that you talk it out, that you write about it, that you find support,” said Teresa MacBain, acting executive director of the Clergy Project. “I still try to reach out to people who are questioning, who are doubting, clergy people and laypeople alike, and let them know they are not alone, that there are people who care.”

How does he feed his family?

For 44 years, MacBain was involved in some sort of ministry, from organizing worship music to being a senior pastor at a Methodist church in Florida.

At a recent American Atheists convention in North Bethesda, Maryland, MacBain first publicly announced her atheism, inspiring a roaring round of applause. American Atheists President David Silverman walked onstage and hugged her as MacBain began to cry.

"I was the one on the right track, and you were the ones that were going to burn in hell," MacBain told the crowd. "And I'm happy to say as I stand before you right now, I'm going to burn with you."

She said she sees plenty of growth potential in the Clergy Project. In the near future, she said she hopes to incorporate it as a nonprofit and begin raising funds for clergy who have decided to leave ministry jobs. She also wants to compile a group of employment recruiters to help former clergy find new jobs.

DeWitt, for his part, is struggling financially and said his house could be foreclosed on in the next few months.

For former preachers in search of work, their old skills can be hard to translate into new fields. What references do former ministers use if they have disappointed their congregants by leaving the pulpit?

MacBain said that some “formers,” as she calls ex-clergy, have left their hometowns for new jobs in fields ranging from radio to counseling.

To aid those transitions, Recovering from Religion has started the Clergy Professional Relief Fund, dedicated to “helping ex-ministers have a soft landing after coming out of the ministry.” Though little money has been collected so far, the hope is to help former ministers with job training and relocation expenses.

“Even if you have a degree in divinity, that doesn’t really mean anything,” DeWitt said. “That is the biggest fear that a nonbelieving clergy member has. How does he feed his family?”

Losing faith, losing friends

As a young fresh-faced minister, DeWitt was first confronted with his disbelief when he “became the person who got the burden of preaching about hell,” he said. “I really loved the people I preached to, I loved them like family. So imagine preaching that if you don’t do this, you are going to burn in hell. That wasn’t easy for me.”

After doubt about hell, DeWitt began to research other schools of thought about God and belief. He began to develop other doubts, about certain biblical translations and about healing.

“The next big issue was the failure of prayer,” DeWitt said. “People are passing away, whenever we pray for them to live. People aren’t getting jobs, whenever we pray for them to have jobs.

“The harder we tried to alleviate suffering within our church, it seemed like the worse things got,” he said. “It didn’t seem like prayer made any difference. It just continually crushed my heart.”

When DeWitt decided to come out as an atheist, some in his congregation appeared shocked.

“I was very heartbroken actually because his family means so much to me; they are actually like family,” said Natosha Davis, 30, who attended DeWitt’s church for four years. “I was very heartbroken for him that he had to go through that and struggle.”

Many congregants were less charitable. “Some people where he lives just totally turned their backs on him,” Davis said. “He was ostracized, excommunicated. It is like he has a disease, but he doesn’t.”

When DeWitt runs into people he used to preach to, he still averts his eyes. Going to the post office and to Walmart, he said, can be stressful because of the possibility of running into a former congregant.

“It is because places in which you were once admired now you are suddenly scorned or pitied,” DeWitt said, who admits not having many friends anymore. “It makes for an extremely uncomfortable life.”

And yet DeWitt said his atheist life mirrors his old religious one in some key respects. In some ways, he said, he’s still a minister.

“The origin of the symmetry is me, is my personality, my love for people, my love for ministering,” DeWitt said. “What I have always tried to do is to minster from where I personally am at.

“When I was 17, I preached what I believed was best for people at the time; when I was 20, it was a little different; at 25 it was different, too,” he said. “And now at 42, I am still the same guy preaching what I see is best for people.”

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism • Christianity

soundoff (5,298 Responses)
  1. Billy

This guy is straight up M()RON with no knowledge of how prayer works. Prayer is NOT a heavenly conceriege service where we send God our wish list.

June 13, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
    • LOL Religion

Right, prayer is just talking to yourself/ceiling. On that we can agree.

June 13, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
    • Berk

Nope, prayer is wishing that 2 + 2 doesn't equal 4. It's not wanting to face reality. Most of all, it's selfish.

June 13, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
    • Racheln24

@Merk .. how is prayer selfish when it's done for OTHERS?

June 13, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
    • Lux Et Veritas

I would suggest he isn't a moron. It's my contention he's being attacked spiritually. Never rule it out ~ it's a grave possibility.

June 13, 2012 at 5:50 pm |
    • TheDers

Because praying for others inside your nice warm house is selfish when you could be out actually doing something that helps others.

June 13, 2012 at 5:52 pm |
  2. John the Baptist

Jesus is coming..... so look busy

June 13, 2012 at 5:12 pm |
  3. NUMBNUT

So, my burninq question is: Is Scientology a religion?

June 13, 2012 at 5:10 pm |
    • Berk

It's profitable, ... so, yes! ;-0

June 13, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
  4. Tracy Lee

to TruthPrevails 🙂
    stick it in your @$$ 🙂

June 13, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
    • Racheln24

I wish there was a "Like" button on here 🙂

June 13, 2012 at 5:11 pm |

Of course you do, Chad.

June 13, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
  5. John

I quote XTC: "Did you make disease, and the diamond blue? Did you make mankind, after we made you?" I couldn't have said it better myself.

June 13, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
  6. BoldGeorge

This is definitely not news, but rather it is old and worsening. The Bible does state that it will just get worse in regards to people with faith falling away. This has been going on since early human history. Judas Iscariot walked, talked and dined with Jesus for 3 years. While doing that, he never believed in Him and even betrayed Him with a kiss...oh how tender. Many of the apostles (like Paul) had disciples that fell away from the faith and left his ministry. And let's go even further back to Moses' times. Many saw God's power manifest through him yet many were still rebelling against God. Falling away is nothing new my friends. So the question begs to be asked, what's CNN's agenda? And it ain't about professional journalism.

June 13, 2012 at 5:08 pm |
    • Kramer

Well, we know that their agenda is not the generational gay bashing that comes from the pulpit. That much is certain.

June 13, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
    • Madtown

Is the bible and the christian tradition the only way to God?

June 13, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
    • SeinFeinnFun

Fairy tale alert!

June 13, 2012 at 5:16 pm |
    • Ken Margo

June 13, 2012 at 5:19 pm |
    • Cq

BG
      Maybe Jesus will only return after the last person has lost faith, in which case you are only holding him back, right?

June 13, 2012 at 5:20 pm |
    • BoldGeorge

@ Madtown

Jesus Christ is the only Way to God and His kingdom. The bible just points to Him.

June 13, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
    • Lux Et Veritas

But I honestly believe sides are being chosen. People are making their own decisions. Do I believe the world is going to end soon ~ like the Mayan prophecy? Nope. But maybe what is truly going on currently is testing of our spirits. I don't claim to know the mind of God myself. That said, everything may not be as it appears, either.

June 13, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
    • Madtown

BoldGeorge
      @ Madtown
      -----
      What if I'm born into a place in this world(not something I have any control over) where christianity is not prevalent? What if I've never even heard the name Jesus, and certainly have no chance to follow him, can I not be "saved" like you? Or, are you just that special that God prefers you over me, even though he created us with the same base human-value?

June 13, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
    • BoldGeorge

@ Madtown

Good question, but I do have to say that after having answered this question, this will not be your case nonetheless. For you have read and heard, or at the very least have access to God's word. So, you are basically asking me this question for someone else's sake, right? Someone who lives on the remotest part of this earth that has no Christian human contact. Or, is that you want to basically know how fair a god is God?

June 13, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
    • Madtown

If you weren't so full of arrogance and hubris, you'd just admit you don't have an answer to the question. No one does except God.

June 13, 2012 at 5:39 pm |
    • Oh Really?

Lux et Veritas. The only Truth in Light was the Age of Enlightenment. That Age followed the Dark Ages in Europe. With the light of Reason, Man in Europe finally climbed out of the dark pit of despair that he had been thrown into by the Church and its teachings. We no longer want anything to do with your barbaric Bronze Age god.
      In the words of the Hulk, in the Avengers movie... PUNY GOD.

June 13, 2012 at 5:39 pm |
    • AmazedinFL

It's not a matter of 'people with faith falling away', but about people who never had faith being honest with themselves. And I'm not bashing faith itself here. Just saying that if someone doesn't have it, then pretending they do is actually pretty dishonest. I'd think that the church would want only clergy members who actually believe what they're preaching. Otherwise it's not about faith but about conformity regardless of whether or not the faith is present.

June 13, 2012 at 10:03 pm |
  7. Goodness

1 John 2-18 Dear children, this is the last hour; and as you have heard that the antichrist is coming,) even now many antichrists have come. This is how we know it is the last hour. 19 They went out from us,but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us.

June 13, 2012 at 5:08 pm |
    • Berk

See! People saw through the deception even in the beginning! If Christianity hadn't gotten the power of Rome behind it to execute non-believers it would have died out long ago.

June 13, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
  8. Ed

Seems to me that these "preachers" have been making a lot of money, for a long time, telling some folks what they want to hear. Now they are going to set up a bunch of "non profits" and make a lot of money telling other folks what they want to hear.
    The more things change, the more they remain the same.
    Good riddance to all the loonies on both sides of this "debate".

June 13, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
  9. briangottesman

OK, so I hardly know anything about evolution. Therefore, unlike so many of you I can't base my disbelief in God on it, rather I base it on philosophy. My main argument is in this Blog post: http://amateurlyinsightful.blogspot.com/2012/06/debating-gods-existence-part-1.html
    tell me what you think of it

June 13, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
    • jeff

Evolution is not really debated by any legitimate science anymore, pretty much all you need to know. But evolution doesn't disprove a god it disproves the need for a god.

June 13, 2012 at 5:10 pm |
    • Agnes

It is possible to believe in evolution and that God is the power behind it all. What is difficult to believe is the man-made Bible. Throw away the Bible, and I still believe in a greater power. In fact, throw away the bible and my belief grows even deeper. Nature is our God. Mother Earth is our God. The birds and the bees are the face of God. No need to look any further than that.

June 13, 2012 at 5:18 pm |
    • Oh Really?

Then actually go ahead and learn about evolution. It is, after all, the facts about how you came to be the way that you are, why you suffer from some diseases that are carried by your ancestors, and how we continue to forcibly 'evolve' the animals and plants around us for our use. Learn about the science. Its not debatable anymore. We have the Human Genome Project completed, and from there we can see exactly how we obtained genes from the 'lower' life forms.

June 13, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
  10. sunnyjim

It would have been better for him to have not known the Lord,and then turned his back on him,he is crucifying the the Lord of glory all over again.It's bad enough he's turned his back on Christ,but now he's trying to get everybody else to.It would be better if you had a mill stone tied around your neck and you were thrown into the sea.

June 13, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
    • Bob

Sounds like your god is quite the vindictive jerk then, s jim.

June 13, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
    • OOO

Not better for him...

June 13, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
    • Pierce

He is not trying to get everyone else to turn their back on Christ. He is simply embracing those that have.

June 13, 2012 at 5:10 pm |
    • QS

So Christian of you.

June 13, 2012 at 5:11 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Bob

Sounds like your god is quite the vindictive jerk then, s jim.
      Sounds like you are going to be with your master in a very hot place. You serve the Father of Lies!

Amen.

June 13, 2012 at 5:11 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Why bother posting such nonsensical threats, HS? They don't work; never have. If the only motivation you can manage is to attempt to instill fear, you might want to unleash your flying monkeys.

June 13, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
    • sally

How is that worse than Christians trying to convert everyone in their paths?

June 13, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Oh Tommy the flying monkeys comes from you atheists. Foolish little boy.

Amen.

June 13, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

No, HS, I don't need to threaten anyone.

June 13, 2012 at 5:19 pm |
    • FreeAndProudOfIt

You know, I can capitalize Tinkerbell, Zeus, Prometheus, Poseidon, Peter Pan, and Mahmud The Friendly And Not Staring At Me Convenience Store Cashier, but...

that does not make them any more real than: some cute fly, some badass dude, some badass dude in the ocean, my Halloween costume 15 years ago, and... well... I guess that last one is probably God, isn't it? Never seen him before but sounds plausible - might as well look forward to the day where I can finally meet him!!

June 13, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
    • AmazedinFL

Sally, you're missing an important distinction here. He's not turning others away from religion, just letting those who have hidden their disbelief in the closet know that they're not alone. Turning others away from religion would involve trying to convince others who actually do believe in God that they're beliefs are nonsense, and he's clearly doing nothing like that. And to the original poster, it's not a matter of a priest moving away from his faith, but finally being honest and admitting that he didn't actually believe in what he was preaching. I'd think that you'd rather NOT have someone who doesn't actually believe preaching something he doesn't believe in. Otherwise you're not valuing faith, but valuing mere conformity.

June 13, 2012 at 10:22 pm |
    • AmazedinFL

Before the grammar police point it out, I feel obligated to note that yes, upon re-reading my post I noticed that I made the horrible error of using "they're" instead of "their"...

June 13, 2012 at 10:24 pm |
  11. Rayn

Now if he would only believe in extrateresstrial intervention. 🙂

June 13, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Fool

June 13, 2012 at 5:11 pm |
  12. Demonology 501

Hoopla12

Bilbo Bagging has hairy feet according to LOTR...

****

J.R.R. Tolkien was a Christian and a friend of C.S. Lewis. Christian elements are threaded throughout Lord Of The Rings ~ but not allegories.

June 13, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
  13. Dave

God has been persecuting me my whole life because I'm an atheist.

June 13, 2012 at 5:05 pm |
  14. Adam

Why are atheists screaming at people to not believe in God? That makes literally zero sense. If atheism is true, they are contradicting themselves by acting like certain behavior is obligatory, like religion of all things. If atheism is true, there is only chaos. Believe literally ANYTHING you'd like to.

At the heart of it is this. If atheism is true theism is true. Satan worship is true. Everything is true because everything is relative. Why the soapbox?

June 13, 2012 at 5:05 pm |
    • Adam

What I said really isn't accurate.

Nothing is true if God doesn't exist. Even somehow atheism itself is relative if there is no God. Weird stuff. But true nonetheless. 🙂

June 13, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
    • OOO

You make 0 sense.

June 13, 2012 at 5:08 pm |
    • SLArbiter

From your short post I can conclude that you know little to nothing about atheism, religion, belief, or chaos.

June 13, 2012 at 5:08 pm |
    • jeff

Because religious types are trying to effect public policy to match their religious point of view.

June 13, 2012 at 5:08 pm |
    • Bob

It's because moronic Christians vote and impact laws and policies, stupid.

June 13, 2012 at 5:08 pm |
    • Adam

I just answered my own question actually. Atheism can't be true, because in atheism truth can't logically exist. So the idea of atheism is actually contradictory at it's core. And that's probably a reason why you have to be foolish to be an atheist.

June 13, 2012 at 5:08 pm |
    • Racheln24

That's the one thing you've said that's actually made sense. If you're an atheist... why the soapbox. Just don't believe!!

June 13, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
    • Bob

There is so much wrong with this comment. Atheism only says that Religion is crap and all of it is made up garbage to comfort the masses from all the mystery of the world.

June 13, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Adam, I have no idea where you get your conclusions; they make no sense at all.

June 13, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
    • Oh Really?

Cuz the God of the Israelites is a puny God of some tiny land in the Middle East. Earth itself is a flyspeck planet in a vast galaxy, and our Galaxy is just one of hundreds of millions of galaxies. If there is a God, then it is a Universal God, and HE wouldnt care about your social strictures and your 'faith based' systems. Try looking out onto the real Universe around you, and get a grip. Your fairy tales belong in the Bronze Age and the Dark Ages. We woke up from that misery and climbed out into the Light of Reason, the Enlightenment. Perhaps its time that you crawl out of your cave too.

June 13, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
    • LOL Religion

Just a series of barely coherent non-sequitors. And you keep repeating variations of it on every page.

June 13, 2012 at 5:10 pm |
    • Ecclesiastes 7:17

"I have no idea where you get your conclusions; they make no sense at all."

I think the question should be:

Does ann atheist believe in fact or in truth?

June 13, 2012 at 5:11 pm |
    • Mass Debater

"Believe literally ANYTHING you'd like to." That is what theists do, not atheists. An atheist says we do not have all the facts so to believe in a singular origin based on nothing but faith when faced with the little we do now know of our universe is beyond folly and borders on insanity.

June 13, 2012 at 5:12 pm |
    • QS

Ah, now I see....religious people have every right to get up on their soapbox (pulpit) every week, or even several times a week, to preach about how others are evil and destroying "god"....but anybody else with a differing opinion should not be allowed to speak about it as well. Got it.

June 13, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
    • Adam

LOLReligion, you got me. 🙂 Just trying to get other people to think about what I'm thinking about.

People that think my comments are just a bunch of gibberish haven't thought very critically. These are basic philosophical questions/ideas that atheists and theists have grappled with for centuries.

June 13, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
    • Ecclesiastes 7:17

"If there is a God, then it is a Universal God, and HE wouldnt care.."

I have never understood how someone that is claiming to be logical can make one statement about God would HAVE to be something and then say he CANNOT behave a certain way.
      If you are going at an angle that God is omni-whatever...then it makes no sense to say that he wouldn't care about something. If you are trying to make an argument against the idea of an infinite being, claiming he cannot do something simple like have compassion or care makes no sense.

June 13, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
    • Adam

QS, correct.

We have a reason. Atheists don't. Unless you'd like to enlighten us and give us the reason.

June 13, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Adam, what are you babbling about? Atheists have plenty of reason to voice their opposition to your belief system when you use it to deprive others of rights they are guaranteed by law.

June 13, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
    • QS

Oh, I have no doubts that you have a reason....I see the reason every day when the self-righteous attempt to "convert" others to their way of thinking.

If you can follow, this is the difference – religious people have the reason of convincing others their beliefs are right and true under the guise of "saving" them – Atheists have the reason of convincing others to not fall for that trap, but it also is not about getting them to believe just as we do but rather to simply get them to question their own indoctrination.

June 13, 2012 at 5:19 pm |
    • Racheln24

@ Tom.. nobody is trying to take your rights away as an Atheist, relax.

June 13, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
    • LOL Religion

Adam: "These are basic philosophical questions/ideas that atheists and theists have grappled with for centuries."

I can see you may be trying to touch on things like the Euthyphro dilemma and whether a law giver is required for there to be a system of morality, but you are doing it in a profoundly inept and asinine way. Your presentation is NOT coherent, and your conclusions do not follow from your premises.

Don't let me get in the way of your pseudo-intellectual arm chair philosophizing though.

June 13, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
    • Chicago Guy

I think the screaming atheists are trying to get people to believe in things based on what makes sense. Atheism makes sense to them. And believing in what makes sense is very different than 'believing in anything.' And believing in what makes sense does not make everything true at the same time. It's not even true that God existing or not existing would change the amount of chaos in the universe. How ever much there is, there is. Whether God made it that way or not.

June 13, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Rachel, do you support a woman's right to choose? Do you support gay marriage? If not, why not?

June 13, 2012 at 5:22 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Rachel, do you think the pubic schools should be forced to teach creationism and intelligent design alongside evolution theory in science classes?

June 13, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
    • Racheln24

You better believe i do.... AND I BELIEVE IN GOD.. did I just blow your mind?!

June 13, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
    • Madtown

Adam
      QS, correct.
      -----–
      LOL!!!! Incomprehensibly ignorant. You're an athiest as well, you just believe in 1 more God than other atheists here.

June 13, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
    • Adam

QS, you didn't give a reason. You just told me an illogical reason: That atheists want to get people to question there belief system. There's isn't any reason to do. Unless you'd like to explain how that's reasonable.

LOLReligion, I've admitted some of my arguing wasn't totally accurate but the argument remains. Atheists have no reason to have a problem with religion. Because in atheism everything is relative. There is no right and wrong. Getting people to think about their beliefs is as trivial as taking a dump on a Sam Harris book. It makes no difference whatsoever what anyone thinks or does.

Fact.

June 13, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I "better believe you do" what, Chad/Rachel?

June 13, 2012 at 5:33 pm |
    • Racheln24

What the h ell are you talking about delusional Tom? Apparently now you think I'm a man...lol. I'll have you know I'm a left wing/democrat/woman so please don't insult me.

June 13, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Nah, you're Chad's sock puppet. Now answer the question: what is it you do?

June 13, 2012 at 5:38 pm |
    • Ecclesiastes 7:17

"Atheists have plenty of reason to voice their opposition to your belief system when you use it to deprive others of rights they are guaranteed by law."

So..if these va_gue "rights" were not being deprived....would atheists still be complaining about those that belong to a religion?

June 13, 2012 at 6:05 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I didn't know rights could be 'deprived'. You must be a graphic designer, too.

June 13, 2012 at 6:06 pm |
    • Ecclesiastes 7:17

Sorry Tom...sorry that you have yet to grasp how comment boards work. Obviously no one on here is writing a thesis..so get over yourself and your wannabe grammar gestapo ways. Anyone with sense (not you) would know that it was a person's rights that were being deprived. Or that is the claim at least but plz..don't argue the point...just make up stuff about what you see as a grammar slight 😉

June 13, 2012 at 6:11 pm |
    • Ecclesiastes 7:17

To be quite honest, you need to reaquaint yourself with the word deprived. You'll see it was not used incorrectly at all.

Now I'm done on that...would you like to actually answer the question I had brought up? Or do you want to commit more fallacies of trying to bring doubt in my question by your disagreement with word use?

June 13, 2012 at 6:14 pm |
    • Ecclesiastes 7:17

Lol..acquaint that is. Wouldn't want Tom's pan_ties to get in a bunch.

June 13, 2012 at 6:15 pm |
    • Ecclesiastes 7:17

Lol..reacquaint that is. Wouldn't want Tom's p a n t i e s to get in a bunch.

June 13, 2012 at 6:16 pm |

Guess I hit a nerve.

How should I know whether all atheists are here because they are concerned that the Christian nut-jobs are attempting to abrogate rights? I can only speak for myself. If zealots like you would practice your religion in church and at home and stop attempting to force it on others, I wouldn't have any complaints about what you do. When you and your little self-righteous, sanctimonious pals rant and rave about what I and others believe and attempt to legislate your idea of "morals", I have every right to speak up and protest. Don't like it? Tough. Don't like my posts? Don't read them. Don't like this board? Leave.

June 13, 2012 at 6:16 pm |

June 13, 2012 at 6:20 pm |
    • Ecclesiastes 7:17

@Tom- "Guess I hit a nerve."

Nah..more like a funny bone. You are very comical. 🙂

"How should I know whether all atheists are here because.."

What??? You mean you don't know? I figure you did since you make grand sweeping accusations and judgments on everyone that is a Christian. How is it that you can make a judgment on one vast group but not another Tom? I think you are being disingenuous.

"If zealots like you would practice your religion in church and at home and stop attempting to force it on others,"

Wow...your ego seems a bit inflated tonight. You may speak only for yourself but that doesn't stop you from making judgements on others. I am in no way a "zealot". Thank you for playing, better luck next time.

"When you and your little self-righteous, sanctimonious pals rant and rave about what I and others believe and attempt to legislate your idea of "morals", I have every right to speak up and protest."

More self righteousness from Tom. More grand @ssumptions. I think I even detect a little bit of ad hominem in your emotion filled rant.
      Hey, I have no problem if you want to challenge ppl's views that come from a faith. It's your right. It's also the right of ppl who have a faith to vote and change the direction within the govy as they can. As long as it's done legally...you'll just have to su ck it up and man up.

"Don't like it? Tough. Don't like my posts? Don't read them. Don't like this board? Leave."

Haha..you are no different that the Tea Party ppl. "If you don't like America...than leave it." My gosh I don't rmember you being this irrational.

June 13, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
    • Ecclesiastes 7:17

Tom- "Do post the definition with which you believe I need to reacquaint myself. Thanks in advance."

I have faith in your ability to use a dictionary Tom. After all, you seem to be the self appointed grammar/spelling czar on here.

June 13, 2012 at 6:27 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Yep, I definitely hit a nerve.

Now go get a cookie and have mommy bandage your little boo-boo.

June 13, 2012 at 6:31 pm |
    • Ecclesiastes 7:17

Tom- "Yep, I definitely hit a nerve."

Odd..that was what I was thinking. 😉

"By the way, I did look up "deprived" online, and every dictionary I found shows a definition that indicates you did indeed misuse the word. Since you can't manage to post proof that you didn't, much as you can't post proof that your god exists, we'll just go with my original statement."

By the way, I did look up "deprived" online, and every dictionary I found shows a definition that indicates that I did indeed use the word correctly. Since you can't manage to post proof that I didn't, much as I can't post proof that I ever said that god exists, we'll just go with my original statement. 😉

"Now go get a cookie and have mommy bandage your little boo-boo."

Yep..I def hit a nerve with you tonight...ouch 🙂

June 13, 2012 at 6:35 pm |

June 13, 2012 at 6:38 pm |
    • Ecclesiastes 7:17

@Tom- "No, sweetie. I believe you post under several screen names and you're always equally dishonest."

My gosh you are slow. I figured everyone knew my new username by now. Oh..great use of condescending language...really shows your intellect 😉
      Not to mention that you have never shown how I have ever been dishonest. Just more factless opinions from Tom.

"But if it makes you feel better about yourself, go right on ahead with your gloating."

Lol..I do not feel good about myself for any triumphs over you. Though there are many. Who would feel like gloating over one's inferiors? Tom, a suggestion...Sun Tzu (in the discourses) said it is wise to know when to give up and fight another time. You might want to do that..'k?

"Too bad you can't find and post that definition. I'd have been most interested to see it."

Funny..I was thinking the same thing.

June 13, 2012 at 6:43 pm |
    • ...

Tom Tom keep up the great work the fact the bozo keeps replying proves you're right.

June 13, 2012 at 6:48 pm |

*kicks the reply button*

Try this again...
      Let's get back to what started this before Tom went all ape-nuts on us and made a fool of himself.

If no one's rights were being withheld from them because of purely religious reasons...would atheists still complain about theists?
      If a theist expressed their beliefs and voted according to their belief after a legal manner...would atheists still complain?

June 13, 2012 at 6:48 pm |
    • ...

Keep up the good work Ecc....Tom just changing his username doesn't fool anyone.

June 13, 2012 at 6:49 pm |

de·prive (d-prv)
      tr.v. de·prived, de·priv·ing, de·prives
      1. To take something away from: The court ruling deprived us of any share in the inheritance.
      2. To keep from possessing or enjoying; deny: They were deprived of a normal childhood by the war.
      3. To remove from office.

June 13, 2012 at 6:51 pm |
    • .

"Tom just changing his username doesn't fool anyone."

You're an idiot since it wasn't Tom that posted that cause I am a guy! But you have to admit for a woman she sure does have some balls. 😉

June 13, 2012 at 6:54 pm |
    • Ecclesiastes 7:17

Took you awful long considering you said you had looked up so many.

Actually..the word I used was deprived which is, "Marked by deprivation, especially of economic or social necessities"
      I did in fact use this word correctly given the context of the comments made before it.

June 13, 2012 at 6:54 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

No, you didn't. But it's funny to watch you squirming.

June 13, 2012 at 6:56 pm |
    • .

Sure Tomma...whatever you say.

June 13, 2012 at 6:56 pm |
    • Ecclesiastes 7:17

No squirming about it. I used it correctly and you have yet to show otherwise.

Back to the question if you have time for it...

June 13, 2012 at 6:57 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

"So..if these va_gue "rights" were not being deprived."

People are deprived of rights. Rights aren't deprived.

June 13, 2012 at 6:58 pm |
    • Ecclesiastes 7:17

Don't you consider the "rights" (whatever they are suppose to be in this case) social necessities of the people?

June 13, 2012 at 6:59 pm |
    • Ecclesiastes 7:17

"People are deprived of rights. Rights aren't deprived."

And I would agree with you if I had made a statement in an conversation bubble. But I did not now did I? I was referencing to what the gentleman said before. Again...this is a comment board Tom, not a college. We are expressing ideas and concepts. Not righting a thesis paper.

June 13, 2012 at 7:01 pm |

de·prive   [dih-prahyv] Show IPA
      verb (used with object), de·prived, de·priv·ing.
      to remove or withhold something from the enjoyment or possession of (a person or persons): to deprive a man of life; to deprive a baby of candy.
      to remove from ecclesiastical office.

June 13, 2012 at 7:02 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

No one is righting (sic) a paper.

If you want to drop the subject, you can do so at any time. It's usually advisable, when you find yourself in a hole, to stop digging.

June 13, 2012 at 7:03 pm |
    • Ecclesiastes 7:17

@Tom- You had go and fail again didn't you? Just can't let that spelling gestapo like behavior go can you?

Lol...I gave you the same advice a few comments back.

June 13, 2012 at 7:12 pm |
    • Ecclesiastes 7:17

Lol..yes Tom...you put up a definition and so did I. Good girl. Got any other tricks for us?

June 13, 2012 at 7:14 pm |
  15. Emilio Dumphuque

If God exists, he's not of this Earth, nor is he human.
    He ignores your prayers and lets evil happen.
    Therefore: God is an evil alien from outer space.
    WHY would you worship him? It's like the pig worshiping the butcher!

June 13, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
  16. fred

Jerry DeWitt said: “I was the guy who kept studying and studying and studying, trying to find that secret verse, trying to find that secret key within the Scripture in order to try to understand what nobody else seemed to understand”

The Gospel of Jesus Christ is very simple in that all we need is to ask Christ into our lives. Jesus even simplified the laws of the Prophets into “love God and love your neighbor as yourself”. A warning sign is when we seek the knowledge of man in the Word of God rather than the love of Christ. That secret key or secret verse no one else knows about points to desire other than the love of God. That was the lure of darkness in the Garden when Eve’s desire for knowledge was greater than unity with God.

Now, given that I had no idea Jesus would enter my life suddenly in the most miraculous way, I imagine Mr. DeWitt had no idea he would suddenly become one of the godless. With all his knowledge of scripture I assume he is well aware that what he is doing now is leading others astray intentionally. God has designed a perfect plan where every one of us is given all the opportunity to reveal our soul destined for eternity. There are no mistakes and there is no doubt that those who truly belong to God will be with God. It is our core essence and our destiny that is completely revealed for all after a short few moments in this temporal Garden.

June 13, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
    • Bob

fred, let's have a look at what your nasty scriptures really say about your sicko sky fairy. The Christian book of nasty, AKA the bible, actually has "loving" god demanding that you do nasty stuff like this:

Numbers 31:17-18
      17 Now kiII all the boys. And kiII every woman who has slept with a man,
      18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

Deuteronomy 13:6 – “If your brother, your mother’s son or your son or daughter, or the wife you cherish, or your friend who is as your own soul entice you secretly, saying, let us go and serve other gods … you shall surely kill him; your hand shall be first against him to put him to death”

And that's just to get started. Note that the bible is also very clear that you should sacrifice and burn an animal today because the smell makes sicko Christian sky fairy happy. No, you don't get to use the parts for food. You burn them, a complete waste of the poor animal.

Yes, the bible really says that, everyone. Yes, it's in Leviticus, look it up. Yes, Jesus purportedly said that the OT commands still apply. No exceptions. But even if you think the OT was god's mistaken first go around, you have to ask why a perfect, loving enti-ty would ever put such horrid instructions in there. If you think rationally at all, that is.

And then, if you disagree with my interpretation, ask yourself how it is that your "god" couldn't come up with a better way to communicate than a book that is so readily subject to so many interpretations and to being taken "out of context", and has so many mistakes in it. Pretty pathetic god that you've made for yourself.

So get out your sacrificial knife or your nasty sky creature will torture you eternally. Or just take a closer look at your foolish supersti-tions, understand that they are just silly, and toss them into the dustbin with all the rest of the gods that man has created.

Ask the questions. Break the chains. Join the movement. Be free of Christianity and other superstitions.

June 13, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
    • A Dot~A Dash~A Question Mark

It's one thing to disavow God, it's another to actively preach there is no God. There is spiritual warfare going on. People who are out of the loop, so to speak, have no earthly idea what it entails.

June 13, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
    • fred

Bob,
      Here in America we no longer scalp Indians even though less than 200 years ago it was authorized by some. Remember that when you dig back 3,000 years into events and laws that apply to a particular culture and time.
      God has no problem communicating in a very clear manner. You are free to choose and thus there are 38,000 different denominations for you to choose from. Thought you liked your choice or at least the ability to choose. God will even allow you chose eternity in Hell. Can you tell me that there are not sufficient warnings about that choice? How clear does it need to be !

June 13, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
    • Herman

“God has designed a perfect plan where every one of us is given all the opportunity to reveal our soul destined for eternity. There are no mistakes and there is no doubt that those who truly belong to God will be with God…”
      Yeah, yeah, blah blah blah.

According to your doctrine, if neither “invited Jesus into their hearts as their personal savior”, both Anne Frank and her murderer are suffering eternal torment as we speak. That doctrine, both absurd and evil, cancels out all the fundamentalist exhortations of a ‘loving God” ever written.

June 13, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
    • Lux Et Veritas

God does not condemn Children to eternal Hell.

June 13, 2012 at 5:32 pm |
    • Herman

How old must you be to no longer be a child?

June 13, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
    • fred

Herman
      Why make up stuff? There are enough real truths in Bible to talk about.
      As to your thoughts on who goes to heaven or not the Bible makes it perfectly clear that we are not in a position to judge. The reasons for this are very detailed so we do not go down that path. If you wish to know about the characteristics of those going to heaven look no further than Luke 23:39-44. Jesus says nothing to the mocking criminal hanging next to him yet to the other he said “today you will be with me in Paradise”. That criminal simply said “we deserve this but you are innocent, remember me”.
      It is not that complicated and Jesus will do the sorting out just as in the beginning the light was separated from the darkness. Even if you do not believe in Jesus you (Herman) have a belief of where your soul will spend eternity.

June 13, 2012 at 5:44 pm |
    • Herman

Uh, Lux, that wasn't a rhetorical question.

June 13, 2012 at 5:47 pm |
    • fred

Herman
      Bible makes it clear that to each is given certain gifts and talents and you are only held accountable for what you were given. Other text indicates that it is blessing for some to be completely ignorant of God otherwise they would have had the ability to reject God with full knowledge enduring greater judgment. Blessed are the poor in spirit for they shall see God is in sharp contrast with what becomes of the proud.

June 13, 2012 at 5:53 pm |
    • Herman

How is asking a simple question, based on commonly promulgated fundamentalist doctrine, "making stuff up"?

I have always marveled at the sophistry that conservative Christians employ to wiggle out of this simple question that, by its implications, makes them extremely uncomfortable, and, often, are implications they have obviously never wrestled with before.

See Lux, for example.

June 13, 2012 at 5:53 pm |
    • Herman

Then can atheists be saved without "inviting Jesus into their hearts as their personal savior"?

Because most atheists I know are not willfully, by an act of conscious volition, turning their backs on a God they don't believe in. They are simply following their reason to its logical conclusion. They may be mistaken, but do they deserve eternal perdition for what amounts to a cognitive error? Is this just!?

Our lives are pitifully short, and our intellects to god's as an ant to ours. Yet we can be condemned to eternal torture for honest mistakes. Is this just!?

June 13, 2012 at 6:02 pm |
    • Herman

And, as usual, the simple question "Is Anne Frank in hell?" pretty well shuts down the discussion.

June 13, 2012 at 6:18 pm |
    • fred

Herman
      “According to your doctrine, if neither “invited Jesus into their hearts as their personal savior”, both Anne Frank and her murderer are suffering eternal torment as we speak.”
      =>This is what you made up as it is not doctrine. Doctrine clearly states we are not to judge. Doctrine clearly states eternal torment (if you are speaking of Hell) is reserved for Satan and his demons and we do not know Anne’s state or her murderer’s state at time of death. My assumption is that we are referring to the Bible and Scripture as addressed by Christ. The Catholic Church has added 1,750 new doctrinal statements on top of what Christ established and I am not addressing those or others.
      Jesus did mention being born again and that may be where the “personal savior” part comes in. Being born again does result in a marked change of outward and inward thoughts and expressions. A part of the rebirth is the awareness that we cannot do what is necessary for salvation and results in complete reliance on Christ as our savior. Even if we assume neither was born again we still do not know their eternal disposition. Assuming they were agnostic we still would not know their eternal disposition. We only know Heaven is a place of unity with God in Christ and that Satan (and demons) will suffer in Hell. Here hell may not be all it is cranked up to be as this is the state Satan prefers over Heaven to begin with. Gnashing of the teeth is what gets Satan’s rocks off right? All those that fall between the two extremes we are not clearly told because there are so many possibilities. The ungodly Generation of Cain (at the time of Noah) was “blotted out” according to Genesis. The Hebrew for blotted out means never was and so it could be God just erased their existence. All that interpretation is speculation and the source of 38,000 denominations that cannot ignore the small stuff. We don’t know what happened to all the inhabitants from an eternal perspective.

June 13, 2012 at 6:27 pm |
    • fred

Herman
      I am not being evasive I really cannot comment on the eternal state of an atheist. Assuming someone rejects God only because of the parameters’ you mentioned they would not qualify as “Satan or Satan’s demons” on that alone. They may just be blotted out of existence which is basically the same as the nothingness some have discussed on this web site for an afterlife. In short some atheists may just possibly be right.

June 13, 2012 at 6:36 pm |
    • Herman

Not to beat this to death, but, yes, that pretty much IS doctrine, (or belief) as promulgated by the most prominent (or, at least loudest) conservative churches. Whether we are to judge or not is a separate issue. What got the whole issue of Robb Bell started was a smug congregant placing a note in his mail saying, about Gandhi, “Reality check; he’s in hell”, presumably simply for being a Hindu. Maybe we can’t judge who’s in hell, but that doesn’t efface the centrality of belief that whosoever does NOT believe in the Lord Jesus Christ (for whatever reason, being a devout Jew is enough, one need not be an atheist) is bound for hell, even if WE can’t know for sure.

June 14, 2012 at 10:55 am |
    • fred

Herman
      Yes, many conservative churches may say devout Jews go to hell. Perhaps I put too much weight on the verse that states Hell is reserved for Satan and his demons. There is a follow up verse that clearly states those not in the Book of Life are cast in the lake of fire.
      Given this next verse at the close of Revelations I better retract what I said and join the conservative churches:

“and if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the tree of life, and out of the holy city, which are written in this book.”

I guess I simply have confidence that Christ who pulled me out is more that capable of pulling out any that clearly do not belong with Satan and his demons.

June 14, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
    • Herman

Fair enough.

June 14, 2012 at 3:45 pm |
  17. jeff

Not really surprising, the more you learn about the bible the more your realize it doesn't stack up well with current human knowledge. The best example was Mother Terresa. To believe in the bible, at least literally, requires intentional ignoring of the facts.

June 13, 2012 at 5:03 pm |
    • Darryl

'the intentional ingoring of facts'

The foundation of conservatism in this country.

June 13, 2012 at 5:18 pm |
  18. Richard57

why did he not just retire and go on with his life? He believes that there is no god, that he is right, without proof because he feels that way and now believes that way. at the crucifixion, one thief saw a difference between himself and Christ and appealed to him...the other said,'you are useless and powerless to me.' I am struck by the contrasts in humanity, the example of love Jesus gave to the world.....and with all the doubts I have and we all experience...we believe in our small ways and come to know that our gentle father does listen and help us....even now when life is so very challenging...I have peace.

June 13, 2012 at 5:03 pm |
    • jeff

If you have an extraordinary claim you need extraordinary proof.

June 13, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
    • Jacques Strappe, World Famous French Ball Juggler

He wants to help free people from the shackle of religion and not be afraid to think.

June 13, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

We heard him speak when he co-hosted The Atheist Experience on June 3rd. Basically as he said for a lot of clergy who have come to the conclusion that the god claim is not supported and thus not something they believe in any longer, it comes down to some tough choices. For a great many this is the only life they have known and as with anyone else who faces going from belief to disbelief there is always the risk of being shunned by your community which usually includes close family ties and friends. http://clergyproject.org/ has some of the testimonials of people in similar situations.

June 13, 2012 at 6:35 pm |
  19. Ken Margo

BoldGeorge, I'm asking because I deal with reality. You have people against birth control, but do not offer any money to help these children. We can't get reasonable gun gun control in this country, yet the same individuals are "pro-life" We have people against heath care reform and want to rip it out instead of improving it. Conservative South Carolina gave Newt "3 wives" Gingrich a state. I could go on but such religious contradictions by the christian conservatives leave me baffled.

June 13, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
    • Davie

South Carolina has never had a problem with serial adultery.

June 13, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
    • Mass Debater

But do they have a problem with cereal adultery?...

June 13, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
  20. Cam

Anyone who doubts the existence of God hasn't tried DMT yet.

June 13, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
    • Oh Really?

Tripping out on an island in Greece is just how the Book of Revelations came to be. Seems like it was a pretty wild trip... I think though that it was probably mushrooms....

June 13, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
    • Tracy Lee

Dimethyltryptamine (DMT) is a naturally occurring psychedelic compound of the tryptamine family. Try YOPO it 10 times stronger........... by the way tripping in the spirit world doesn't prove JESUS exist..... Im just saying...

June 13, 2012 at 5:14 pm |