home
RSS
Unbelieving preachers get help to 'come out' as open atheists
Minister-turned-atheist Jerry DeWitt speaks at ReasonFest in Kansas earlier this year.
June 13th, 2012

Unbelieving preachers get help to 'come out' as open atheists

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) - Jerry DeWitt entered the ministry when he was 17, launching a 25-year career as a Pentecostal preacher. He traveled all around his home state of Louisiana, preaching and ministering wherever he could.

All these years later, DeWitt, 42, is still on the road, and now takes his message all over the United States. But the nature of that message, along with his audience, has changed dramatically.

DeWitt is now an avowed atheist, and his audiences are made up of religious “nones,” the growing number of Americans who are atheist, agnostic, humanist or just plain disinterested in identifying with a religion. Today, DeWitt preaches a gospel of disbelief.

During his speeches, he talks about the process of leaving his preacher job. “If you don’t believe, then you will be like me - you’ll suddenly find yourself where you only have two choices,” DeWitt told a group in Johnson County, Kansas, earlier this year.

“You can either be honest that you don’t believe ... or you can pretend that you do,” he said. “Which is what so many people are doing and that is called faith.”

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

The transition from preacher to outspoken atheist has not been easy, and DeWitt is trying to smooth the way for other former believers. He is executive director of Recovering from Religion, an organization founded in 2009. Its slogan: “Thousands of organizations will help you get INTO religion, but we’re the only one helping you OUT.”

But a relatively new effort goes a step further than his own group by focusing on helping clergy in particular. In March 2011, a coalition that includes national groups such as American Atheists, the Freedom From Religion Foundation and the Richard Dawkins Foundation helped launch the Clergy Project, which is aimed at giving doubting and atheist preachers a community in which they can talk about their disbelief.

The program's ultimate goal: to help unbelieving preachers to “come out” in real life.

A safe online community

The Clergy Project’s key component is a private online community of active and former pastors discussing their conversions to lives of active disbelief. It lets congregational leaders come out anonymously, using an alias.

“It is important to focus on any group of people who are in a lot of pain,” said Linda LaScola, a co-founder of the Clergy Project. “That is why the Clergy Project exists, and it wouldn’t be growing if there wasn’t a need for it.”

When it launched last year, 52 clergy signed up for the online community, according to LaScola. A little more than a year later, 270 members are contributing to the message boards and connecting anonymously with one another.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

According to LaScola, the community includes some rabbis, imams and Catholic priests, but the majority are Protestants.

Members are barred from disclosing what is discussed on the boards, but DeWitt said it’s a blend of humor, advice and encouragement. DeWitt, who left his congregation just over a year ago, is considered the group’s first graduate.

“It gave me confidence to come out,” DeWitt said of the Clergy Project. “Knowing that I was not alone, that I was not a fluke, that I was not a freak of religious nature, but that this is a process; it most definitely gave me confidence and a purpose.”

Jerry DeWitt, far right, in his days as a minister.

DeWitt said that after connecting with people on the message boards, he realized he faced fewer obstacles than some others who are trying to leave the ministry. For example, DeWitt's wife and son already knew about his disbelief, while other questioning preachers had not yet told their families.

“I think it is important when you are struggling that you talk it out, that you write about it, that you find support,” said Teresa MacBain, acting executive director of the Clergy Project. “I still try to reach out to people who are questioning, who are doubting, clergy people and laypeople alike, and let them know they are not alone, that there are people who care.”

How does he feed his family?

For 44 years, MacBain was involved in some sort of ministry, from organizing worship music to being a senior pastor at a Methodist church in Florida.

At a recent American Atheists convention in North Bethesda, Maryland, MacBain first publicly announced her atheism, inspiring a roaring round of applause. American Atheists President David Silverman walked onstage and hugged her as MacBain began to cry.

"I was the one on the right track, and you were the ones that were going to burn in hell," MacBain told the crowd. "And I'm happy to say as I stand before you right now, I'm going to burn with you."

She said she sees plenty of growth potential in the Clergy Project. In the near future, she said she hopes to incorporate it as a nonprofit and begin raising funds for clergy who have decided to leave ministry jobs. She also wants to compile a group of employment recruiters to help former clergy find new jobs.

DeWitt, for his part, is struggling financially and said his house could be foreclosed on in the next few months.

For former preachers in search of work, their old skills can be hard to translate into new fields. What references do former ministers use if they have disappointed their congregants by leaving the pulpit?

MacBain said that some “formers,” as she calls ex-clergy, have left their hometowns for new jobs in fields ranging from radio to counseling.

To aid those transitions, Recovering from Religion has started the Clergy Professional Relief Fund, dedicated to “helping ex-ministers have a soft landing after coming out of the ministry.” Though little money has been collected so far, the hope is to help former ministers with job training and relocation expenses.

“Even if you have a degree in divinity, that doesn’t really mean anything,” DeWitt said. “That is the biggest fear that a nonbelieving clergy member has. How does he feed his family?”

Losing faith, losing friends

As a young fresh-faced minister, DeWitt was first confronted with his disbelief when he “became the person who got the burden of preaching about hell,” he said. “I really loved the people I preached to, I loved them like family. So imagine preaching that if you don’t do this, you are going to burn in hell. That wasn’t easy for me.”

After doubt about hell, DeWitt began to research other schools of thought about God and belief. He began to develop other doubts, about certain biblical translations and about healing.

“The next big issue was the failure of prayer,” DeWitt said. “People are passing away, whenever we pray for them to live. People aren’t getting jobs, whenever we pray for them to have jobs.

“The harder we tried to alleviate suffering within our church, it seemed like the worse things got,” he said. “It didn’t seem like prayer made any difference. It just continually crushed my heart.”

When DeWitt decided to come out as an atheist, some in his congregation appeared shocked.

“I was very heartbroken actually because his family means so much to me; they are actually like family,” said Natosha Davis, 30, who attended DeWitt’s church for four years. “I was very heartbroken for him that he had to go through that and struggle.”

Many congregants were less charitable. “Some people where he lives just totally turned their backs on him,” Davis said. “He was ostracized, excommunicated. It is like he has a disease, but he doesn’t.”

When DeWitt runs into people he used to preach to, he still averts his eyes. Going to the post office and to Walmart, he said, can be stressful because of the possibility of running into a former congregant.

“It is because places in which you were once admired now you are suddenly scorned or pitied,” DeWitt said, who admits not having many friends anymore. “It makes for an extremely uncomfortable life.”

And yet DeWitt said his atheist life mirrors his old religious one in some key respects. In some ways, he said, he’s still a minister.

“The origin of the symmetry is me, is my personality, my love for people, my love for ministering,” DeWitt said. “What I have always tried to do is to minster from where I personally am at.

“When I was 17, I preached what I believed was best for people at the time; when I was 20, it was a little different; at 25 it was different, too,” he said. “And now at 42, I am still the same guy preaching what I see is best for people.”

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism • Christianity

soundoff (5,298 Responses)
  1. Steve

Religion fuels war and that makes money for investors in the defense sector. Get 'em all ramped up over Muslims and there you go! Yep, one religion points fingers at the other, Dems and Repubs point fingers at each other and nothing changes – but money – and the rich get richer, laughing all the way. ENOUGH.

June 13, 2012 at 7:02 pm |
    • Firewalker

The only problem is Steve, The people laughing at us are the ones fueling this. The puppet masters never stopped because people stop believing in a Higher Power. They just create Nationalism or Money as THE NEW GOD. "Meet the new boss, Same as the old boss".

June 13, 2012 at 7:26 pm |
  2. Danno

***********************************************************
    ************************************************************
    Right there, in this statement, lies the hipocrosy of Christianity...Christians, those who are SUPPSED to be loving, forgiving, NON-judgemental. humph right....

June 13, 2012 at 7:00 pm |
  3. David R. Scott

LETS GIVE A CHEER TO ALL THE POPES, PRIESTS AND BISHOPS THAT HAVE MOLESTED HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS CATHOLIC CHILDREN... SO BLOODY RELIGIOUS OF THEM.THE CATHOLIC CHURCH IS A HOUSE FULL OF BAD WHITE OLD PEDOPHILES!
    RELIGION IS FOR STUPID, IGNORANT PEOPLE WHO HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO SURVIVE WITHOUT THE HELP OF A
    CRUTCH.... TO HELP THEM UNDERSTAND THEIR FEEBLE LITTLE LIVES. SCREW ALL CHURCHES!

June 13, 2012 at 7:00 pm |
    • The Rev

Your anger is justified.

I pray you can find peace through Christ. Churches and religion will fail you, Christ will not.

June 13, 2012 at 7:07 pm |
    • Bob

rev, Christ fails to exist.

June 13, 2012 at 7:22 pm |
  4. Gambitgrrl

Jerry is one of the kindest, most loving people I have had the privilege of calling my friend. I think I would feel that way even if I met him while he was still preaching. Although I don't think our paths would have crossed had he not been brave enough to leave behind something he no longer believed in.

He is a wonderful person, and I find his commitment to serving others to be inspiring.. So it makes me sad that the simple act of being truthful, and admitting he no longer believes caused such pain and suffering for him and his family. No one should have to endure loss of friends, family, jobs, and respect, just because they happen to have a different world view.

I have no doubt it's been a difficult time for him, and I just hope that those of us that have accepted him with open arms and hearts are making things a little bit better. And rest assured that if one day he for some strange reason returns to his faith, I would still admire him and be proud to call him friend.

June 13, 2012 at 6:59 pm |
  5. mccgeno

Reading these posts gives me hope for a better future.

June 13, 2012 at 6:58 pm |
  6. Nordicman

When I was 19 I was saved. For you people who dont know what saved is its when you confess with your mouth and believe in your heart that Jesus is Lord you shall be saved. I barely finished saying my prayer and it was like someone had entered my soul and lifted me up. I had a glow that people noticed, things where different in so many ways from that day forward. I knew without question God exsisted. I'm 60 now and have strayed from the truth, got caught up in the wordly things ya know but for some reason God still has my back. I ask myself why he does at times then I remember, Jesus said, I will NEVER leave you nor forsake you. Praise Jesus.

June 13, 2012 at 6:58 pm |
    • The Rev

Amen Nodicman!

June 13, 2012 at 7:02 pm |
    • OTOH

Nordicman,

I hope that Odin forgives you.

He's been "watching your back" all these years and you have never even acknowledged him...

June 13, 2012 at 7:06 pm |
    • Ted

Why would you praise a many centuries -old rotted away dead guy?

June 13, 2012 at 7:07 pm |
    • just sayin

Happy for you. There are Muslims who claim to feel Allah etc and their prayers are answered along with yours. I was beat and ra p ed as a child nonstop up until about 11. The perp was First Southern Baptist and did not spare both "rods". He was not my natural father. I would pray at night starting when I was 7 that God would kill me in my sleep so I didnt have to wake up the next day. Amazingly I found Jesus after leaving the home in my teens. I was going to be a preacher....make a long story short...my eyes were openned and saw God for what he was. Perception can be powerful thing. Let God answer the prayers at the casinos and lives of others...I will tend to myself and if I die and have to face him and his pathetic son...I will spit on him and enjoy the ride down. I see no reason or evidence to believe in what men wrote about your God.

June 13, 2012 at 7:08 pm |
    • Robert

I love hearing this junk from REAL Christians who know nothing of what the faith is all about. Just ask all the victims of the Inquisition................Oh Yeah they are dead. If we don't believe in YOUR god sooner or later you will have to kill us. Probably because the big boogie man in the sky told you to!

June 13, 2012 at 7:08 pm |
    • karina

I was agnostic for many years, but following so many personal experiences of something divine being part of my life, I feel a bit sorry for those who haven't experienced it. However, I stay far, far away from organized religion and churches as I find them to be something very different than what I experience the divine to be.

June 13, 2012 at 7:08 pm |
    • just sayin

ps I am glad he has your back and you get that worm fuzzy feeling. I only got a hard d!ck and beat from your god.

June 13, 2012 at 7:09 pm |
    • QS

You'll have to forgive me if I find divine ghost stories about a "spirit" somehow having a tangible effect on a physical person, to be absurd.

June 13, 2012 at 7:14 pm |
    • just sayin

The Rev

Amen Nodicman!

Rolling eyes.....no clue

June 14, 2012 at 11:25 am |
  7. Mike S

... and some seed fell among the rocks...

June 13, 2012 at 6:58 pm |
  8. Colin

A few questions should help shed light on the relationship between religion and rational thought.

The completely absurd theory that all 7,000,000,000 human beings are simultaneously being supervised 24 hours a day, every day of their lives by an immortal, invisible being for the purposes of reward or punishment in the “afterlife” comes from the field of:

(a) Children’s fairytales;

(b) Medieval mythology;

(c) New age pseudo science; or

(d) Christianity

You are about 70% likely to believe the entire Universe began less than 10,000 years ago with only one man, one woman and a talking snake if you are a:

(a) historian;

(b) geologist;

(c) NASA astronomer; or

(d) Christian

I honestly believe that, when I think silent thoughts like, “please god, help me pass my exam tomorrow,” some invisible being is reading my mind and will intervene and alter what would otherwise be the course of history in small ways to help me. I am

(a) a delusional schizophrenic;

(b) a naïve child, too young to know that that is silly

(c) an ignorant farmer from Sudan who never had the benefit of even a fifth grade education; or

(d) your average Christian

I have convinced myself that gay $ex is a choice and not genetic, but then have no explanation as to why only gay people have ho.mo$exual urges. I am

(a) A gifted psychologist

(b) A well respected geneticist

(c) A highly educated sociologist

(d) A Christian with the remarkable ability to ignore inconvenient facts.

Millions and millions of Catholics believe that bread and wine turns into the actual flesh and blood of a dead Jew from 2,000 years ago because:

(a) there are obvious visible changes in the condiments after the Catholic priest does his hocus pocus;

(b) tests have confirmed a divine presence in the bread and wine;

(c) now and then their god shows up and confirms this story; or

(d) their religious convictions tell them to blindly accept this completely fvcking absurd nonsense.

I believe that an all powerful being, capable of creating the entire cosmos watches me have $ex to make sure I don't do anything "naughty". I am

(a) A victim of child molestation

(b) A r.ape victim trying to recover

(c) A mental patient with paranoid delusions

(d) A Christian

The only discipline known to often cause people to kill others they have never met and/or to commit suicide in its furtherance is:

(a) Architecture;

(b) Philosophy;

(c) Archeology; or

(d) Religion

What is it that most differentiates science and all other intellectual disciplines from religion:

(a) Religion tells people not only what they should believe, but what they are morally obliged to believe on pain of divine retribution, whereas science, economics, medicine etc. has no “sacred cows” in terms of doctrine and go where the evidence leads them;

(b) Religion can make a statement, such as “there is a composite god comprised of God the Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit”, and be totally immune from experimentation and challenge, whereas science can only make factual assertions when supported by considerable evidence;

(c) Science and the scientific method is universal and consistent all over the World whereas religion is regional and a person’s religious conviction, no matter how deeply held, is clearly nothing more than an accident of birth; or

(d) All of the above.

If I am found wandering the streets flagellating myself, wading into a filth river, mutilating my child’s genitals or kneeling down in a church believing that a being is somehow reading my inner thoughts and prayers, I am likely driven by:

(a) a deep psychiatric issue;

(b) an irrational fear or phobia;

(c) a severe mental degeneration caused by years of drug abuse; or

(d) my religious belief.

Who am I? I don’t pay any taxes. I never have. Any money my organization earns is tax free and my own salary is also tax free, at the federal, state and local level. Despite contributing nothing to society, but still enjoying all its benefits, I feel I have the right to tell others what to do. I am

(a) A sleazy Wall Street banker

(b) A mafia boss

(c) A drug pusher; or

(d) A Catholic Priest, Protestant Minister or Jewish Rabbi.

What do the following authors all have in common – Jean Paul Sartre, Voltaire, Denis Diderot, Victor Hugo, Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Immanuel Kant, David Hume, René Descartes, Francis Bacon, John Milton, John Locke, and Blaise Pascal:

(a) They are among the most gifted writers the World has known;

(b) They concentrated on opposing dogma and opening the human mind and spirit to the wonders of free thought and intellectual freedom;

(c) They were intimidated by the Catholic Church and put on the Church’s list of prohibited authors; or

(d) All of the above.

The AIDS epidemic will kill tens of millions in poor African and South American countries before we defeat it. Condoms are an effective way to curtail its spread. As the Pope still has significant influence over the less educated masses in these parts of the World, he has exercised this power by:

(a) Using some of the Vatican’s incomprehensible wealth to educate these vulnerable people on health family planning and condom use;

(b) Supporting government programs that distribute condoms to high risk groups;

(c) Using its myriad of churches in these regions to distribute condoms; or

(d) Scaring people into NOT using condoms, based upon his disdainful and aloof view that it is better that a person die than go against the Vatican’s position on contraceptive use.

June 13, 2012 at 6:57 pm |
    • Cesar Castillo

woww man who said the world began just ten thousand years ago....u obviously have proof otherwise with the dinosaurs...what if? what if theres dinoids and who knows what other variation of demons in the universe aiming to screw u over...huh kid who are you gonna run to bro...remember that the greek origin for the word "demon" means intelligent

June 13, 2012 at 7:17 pm |
    • ArdDruid

That test is excellent although I do believe that there are multiple answers especially where choices include deluisional schizophrenic and christian

June 13, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
    • Cesar Castillo

Can colin stop? go away theres people at work here call me the lightworker

June 13, 2012 at 7:30 pm |
  9. Chris

Think about this one:

The Judeo-Christian god, as described in the Bible, is omniscient, omnipotent, and omnibenevolent. He creates our souls and sends us to Earth as a testing ground. But, why the test if he already knows what will happen? A great number of people on the face of the earth have been born, lived, and died as atheists (not to mentions believers of other religions). This deity knew before creating them that they would never believe in him, yet he created them anyway, knowing full well that they would be destined for hell. This is not the work of an all-loving god. So he is not omnibenevolent which means the bible is wrong, so why believe any of it if any part of it is wrong? Just one of a long line of biblical errors.

June 13, 2012 at 6:57 pm |
  10. The Rev

There are no veiled threats in the Word. It is true that every knee will bow and tongue confess. It is your choice to accept Christ or not. That is not God threatening you, He is empowering you!

Peter – I'm afraid this blog is not sufficient to discuss predestination! To summarize, God knows the choices you will make. That does not mean He desires you to be separated from Him.

June 13, 2012 at 6:56 pm |
    • QS

Predestination implies there is no free will. And the veiled threats come from the myriad interpretations of a fictional book, not the fictional book itself.

June 13, 2012 at 6:58 pm |
    • The Rev

I agree that those in power have misinterpreted the Bible for their own evil desires. Those veiled threats are not from God though!

June 13, 2012 at 6:59 pm |
    • I_get_it

The Rev,

Ah, but YOU interpret it correctly, eh?

June 13, 2012 at 7:02 pm |
    • The Rev

My interpretation is meaningless!. My only purpose is to communicate the love God has for each and every one of us. What people do with that information is between them and God. If along the way people ask me my interpretation, I will answer to the best of my ability. That explanation should NEVER take away from Christ's love!

June 13, 2012 at 7:05 pm |
    • Fallacy Spotting 101

Post by 'The Rev' is a form of the flawed argument known as Pascal's Wager.

June 13, 2012 at 7:09 pm |
    • Robert

I understand the logic of your god. Worship and adore me or I will hurt you!

June 13, 2012 at 7:10 pm |
    • QS

"My only purpose is to communicate the love God has for each and every one of us."

Yet even this goal is driven by yet another interpretation of a fictional book.

How can you claim to know anything about what your version of "god" wants or thinks or feels? Because a book tells you so, which isn't even how all people interpret it. Can you begin to see the irrationality of the entire system yet?

June 13, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
  11. .

Sure sure Tomma

June 13, 2012 at 6:55 pm |
  12. Kennethan

Disbelief does not need to be deep, or heartfelt. It is an admission that many previous Christians have come to. I was 14 when I first started to have doubts and at a decade later, I am a full-scale atheist. I do not know what lies at the edges of the universe, but if I cannot declare if a god exists or not because of a lack of evidence then I must side with there not being one. A creator does not have to be a God, and a God does not have to be a creator. Atheism is nothing more than denial, and even if his beliefs are superficial - or rather disbeliefs, it convinces him, that is all that is needed.

June 13, 2012 at 6:55 pm |
  13. Manuel

If pi is random and infinite, does pi contain this comment page?

June 13, 2012 at 6:55 pm |
  14. Babs

Doubting faith is so 2005.

June 13, 2012 at 6:54 pm |
  15. Alan

If I live my life believing in God, and I die, and I'm wrong, and there is no God, I've lost nothing.

If you die believing there is no God, and you're wrong, and there IS a God, you're in big trouble, and it will be too late.

June 13, 2012 at 6:54 pm |
    • Kenneth

Oh my, you'll be in trouble too, Alan. If you happen to be wrong about Allah. Or if you fell for the false prophet Jesus and Judaism is correct at this moment. Or any other God that promises eternal damnation for disbelief. The benefit of the Atheist is that they can at least honestly tell God that they did not have the correct evidence, the person believing in a false God will be treated much worse.

June 13, 2012 at 6:58 pm |
    • Fernando

And what if the god you pray is to not the god that 'really' exists?
      Throughout history, there are nearly 3000 god figures. Surely there's the possibility that Yahweh (the christian god) is not the 'right' one, no?

June 13, 2012 at 7:00 pm |
    • QS

Pascal's Wager – always good for a laugh.

June 13, 2012 at 7:00 pm |
    • Dana

That's called Pascal's Wager. You are betting that you have picked the right religion and god scheme at the risk of upsetting one that could be in conflict with the one you chose. So, yeah, you still could be in trouble.

June 13, 2012 at 7:01 pm |
    • JustaNormalPerson

If you are right then god is truely sadistic.I would prefer not to spend eternity with such evil.

June 13, 2012 at 7:04 pm |
    • Fallacy Spotting 101

Post by 'Allan' is a form of the flawed argument known as Pascal's Wager.

June 13, 2012 at 7:10 pm |
    • Daniel

June 13, 2012 at 7:21 pm |
    • Daniel

ALAN,THANK YOU FOR YOUR WONDERFUL WELL THOUGHT COMMENT.I ADD THIS TO QOUTATIONS I'M COLLECTING!

June 13, 2012 at 7:23 pm |
    • MurderMostFowl

Kenneth, the only issue there is that The 3 religions you mention all believe in the same God.

June 13, 2012 at 7:38 pm |
  16. Lux Et Veritas

Alex Gessong

@Lux: interestingly, the Roman Empire crumbled after Christianity became the official state religion. Pagan Rome thrived and governed a quarter of the known world at the time. Christianized Rome fell. By the way, many pagan empires lasted for centuries or millenniums. Religion has nothing to do with how long a culture exists. If Europe embraces rationalism, that's a good thing. Religion is irrational by definition. No need to fear that fact. Jesus' philosophy (love your neighbor, help the less fortunate, treat others as you would like to be treated, etc.) fit perfectly well into a rational world. Jesus' philosophy makes sense, even for those who don't believe he was a god.

********
    It became an official religion, but only after scores of Christians were mercilessly murdered and Nero fiddled while it burned to the ground. I would mildly suggest you turn that over in your own mind.

June 13, 2012 at 6:53 pm |
    • Firewalker

The Roman Empire was over when the Capitol was moved form Rome. Constantine didn't make Christianity the State religion until the 3rd. century. He himself was not a Christian as deathbed conversions do not really count. Furthermore, changing the pagan celebration of Ishtar to Easter does not a Christian make. The one and only true Christian died over two thousand years ago.

June 13, 2012 at 7:16 pm |
  17. Satan Himself

I like the ol' "God helps those who help themselves". I can hardly read that out loud without laughing. What absurd stupidity.

"Perhaps if I world really hard and get good grades in school, then study through college, stay away from drugs, God will help me land a good job." LMAO

June 13, 2012 at 6:51 pm |
    • Manuel

Hi Santa did you get my Christmas list?

June 13, 2012 at 6:53 pm |
    • Cesar Castillo

come on dude there are so many bad things that can happen to u in this physical world stop inflicting hate....it is true..if u help urself u just might be helped...i can inflict hate too...do you wana die in a little less than six months? I might but I dont care...I dont care because im on team angels

June 13, 2012 at 7:01 pm |
    • Manuel

Go Angels! Actually tonight I'm a Dodgers fan.

June 13, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
  18. Winterpeg

it takes a great deal of courage to admit publicly that you have been deluded for most of your life. These people have traded their imaginary friends for a personal relationship with reality. Congratulations to them and all the others who will follow!

June 13, 2012 at 6:50 pm |
    • maestra730

Deluded??? Try "fraudulent." Jerry DeWitt's nothing but a big liar. Who's to say he won't change his mind again? Anyone who believes one word this guy says needs serious professional help (as does DeWitt himself).

June 13, 2012 at 7:03 pm |
  19. southernwonder

can this preacher wait a little longer, please. the nasa is not quite done exploring the space. it may come upon the heavenly father of jesus some place out there. nasa just sent out a vehicle which is going to be studying the black holes. you never can tell what you might find.

June 13, 2012 at 6:50 pm |
  20. Jimmy

I believe.You can choose not to believe.Doesn't bother me at all.
    You go your way,I will go mine.I have total peace and my family has total peace and assurance in a loving God.
    If I am right I am in good shape.If you are right I am still in good shape.What if it is the other way around?

June 13, 2012 at 6:49 pm |
    • QS

So you support marriage equality?

June 13, 2012 at 6:52 pm |
    • Judas Priest

I get so tired of the "but what if" and "safe betting" games. If you believe, believe sincerely, not because it's a "safe bet".

June 13, 2012 at 6:52 pm |
    • Erik

Not a compelling argument for belief – if there is a dealer running this game of craps, then it is best to believe in him rather than go with the simpler notion that it is a game of chance (which it isn't, by the by).

June 13, 2012 at 6:55 pm |
    • Tom

What if you worship the wrong God?

You are in the same boat I am 🙂

June 13, 2012 at 6:55 pm |
    • Fallacy Spotting 101

Post by 'Jimmy' is a form of the flawed argument known as Pascal's Wager.

June 13, 2012 at 7:12 pm |