home
RSS
Unbelieving preachers get help to 'come out' as open atheists
Minister-turned-atheist Jerry DeWitt speaks at ReasonFest in Kansas earlier this year.
June 13th, 2012

Unbelieving preachers get help to 'come out' as open atheists

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) - Jerry DeWitt entered the ministry when he was 17, launching a 25-year career as a Pentecostal preacher. He traveled all around his home state of Louisiana, preaching and ministering wherever he could.

All these years later, DeWitt, 42, is still on the road, and now takes his message all over the United States. But the nature of that message, along with his audience, has changed dramatically.

DeWitt is now an avowed atheist, and his audiences are made up of religious “nones,” the growing number of Americans who are atheist, agnostic, humanist or just plain disinterested in identifying with a religion. Today, DeWitt preaches a gospel of disbelief.

During his speeches, he talks about the process of leaving his preacher job. “If you don’t believe, then you will be like me - you’ll suddenly find yourself where you only have two choices,” DeWitt told a group in Johnson County, Kansas, earlier this year.

“You can either be honest that you don’t believe ... or you can pretend that you do,” he said. “Which is what so many people are doing and that is called faith.”

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

The transition from preacher to outspoken atheist has not been easy, and DeWitt is trying to smooth the way for other former believers. He is executive director of Recovering from Religion, an organization founded in 2009. Its slogan: “Thousands of organizations will help you get INTO religion, but we’re the only one helping you OUT.”

But a relatively new effort goes a step further than his own group by focusing on helping clergy in particular. In March 2011, a coalition that includes national groups such as American Atheists, the Freedom From Religion Foundation and the Richard Dawkins Foundation helped launch the Clergy Project, which is aimed at giving doubting and atheist preachers a community in which they can talk about their disbelief.

The program's ultimate goal: to help unbelieving preachers to “come out” in real life.

A safe online community

The Clergy Project’s key component is a private online community of active and former pastors discussing their conversions to lives of active disbelief. It lets congregational leaders come out anonymously, using an alias.

“It is important to focus on any group of people who are in a lot of pain,” said Linda LaScola, a co-founder of the Clergy Project. “That is why the Clergy Project exists, and it wouldn’t be growing if there wasn’t a need for it.”

When it launched last year, 52 clergy signed up for the online community, according to LaScola. A little more than a year later, 270 members are contributing to the message boards and connecting anonymously with one another.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

According to LaScola, the community includes some rabbis, imams and Catholic priests, but the majority are Protestants.

Members are barred from disclosing what is discussed on the boards, but DeWitt said it’s a blend of humor, advice and encouragement. DeWitt, who left his congregation just over a year ago, is considered the group’s first graduate.

“It gave me confidence to come out,” DeWitt said of the Clergy Project. “Knowing that I was not alone, that I was not a fluke, that I was not a freak of religious nature, but that this is a process; it most definitely gave me confidence and a purpose.”

Jerry DeWitt, far right, in his days as a minister.

DeWitt said that after connecting with people on the message boards, he realized he faced fewer obstacles than some others who are trying to leave the ministry. For example, DeWitt's wife and son already knew about his disbelief, while other questioning preachers had not yet told their families.

“I think it is important when you are struggling that you talk it out, that you write about it, that you find support,” said Teresa MacBain, acting executive director of the Clergy Project. “I still try to reach out to people who are questioning, who are doubting, clergy people and laypeople alike, and let them know they are not alone, that there are people who care.”

How does he feed his family?

For 44 years, MacBain was involved in some sort of ministry, from organizing worship music to being a senior pastor at a Methodist church in Florida.

At a recent American Atheists convention in North Bethesda, Maryland, MacBain first publicly announced her atheism, inspiring a roaring round of applause. American Atheists President David Silverman walked onstage and hugged her as MacBain began to cry.

"I was the one on the right track, and you were the ones that were going to burn in hell," MacBain told the crowd. "And I'm happy to say as I stand before you right now, I'm going to burn with you."

She said she sees plenty of growth potential in the Clergy Project. In the near future, she said she hopes to incorporate it as a nonprofit and begin raising funds for clergy who have decided to leave ministry jobs. She also wants to compile a group of employment recruiters to help former clergy find new jobs.

DeWitt, for his part, is struggling financially and said his house could be foreclosed on in the next few months.

For former preachers in search of work, their old skills can be hard to translate into new fields. What references do former ministers use if they have disappointed their congregants by leaving the pulpit?

MacBain said that some “formers,” as she calls ex-clergy, have left their hometowns for new jobs in fields ranging from radio to counseling.

To aid those transitions, Recovering from Religion has started the Clergy Professional Relief Fund, dedicated to “helping ex-ministers have a soft landing after coming out of the ministry.” Though little money has been collected so far, the hope is to help former ministers with job training and relocation expenses.

“Even if you have a degree in divinity, that doesn’t really mean anything,” DeWitt said. “That is the biggest fear that a nonbelieving clergy member has. How does he feed his family?”

Losing faith, losing friends

As a young fresh-faced minister, DeWitt was first confronted with his disbelief when he “became the person who got the burden of preaching about hell,” he said. “I really loved the people I preached to, I loved them like family. So imagine preaching that if you don’t do this, you are going to burn in hell. That wasn’t easy for me.”

After doubt about hell, DeWitt began to research other schools of thought about God and belief. He began to develop other doubts, about certain biblical translations and about healing.

“The next big issue was the failure of prayer,” DeWitt said. “People are passing away, whenever we pray for them to live. People aren’t getting jobs, whenever we pray for them to have jobs.

“The harder we tried to alleviate suffering within our church, it seemed like the worse things got,” he said. “It didn’t seem like prayer made any difference. It just continually crushed my heart.”

When DeWitt decided to come out as an atheist, some in his congregation appeared shocked.

“I was very heartbroken actually because his family means so much to me; they are actually like family,” said Natosha Davis, 30, who attended DeWitt’s church for four years. “I was very heartbroken for him that he had to go through that and struggle.”

Many congregants were less charitable. “Some people where he lives just totally turned their backs on him,” Davis said. “He was ostracized, excommunicated. It is like he has a disease, but he doesn’t.”

When DeWitt runs into people he used to preach to, he still averts his eyes. Going to the post office and to Walmart, he said, can be stressful because of the possibility of running into a former congregant.

“It is because places in which you were once admired now you are suddenly scorned or pitied,” DeWitt said, who admits not having many friends anymore. “It makes for an extremely uncomfortable life.”

And yet DeWitt said his atheist life mirrors his old religious one in some key respects. In some ways, he said, he’s still a minister.

“The origin of the symmetry is me, is my personality, my love for people, my love for ministering,” DeWitt said. “What I have always tried to do is to minster from where I personally am at.

“When I was 17, I preached what I believed was best for people at the time; when I was 20, it was a little different; at 25 it was different, too,” he said. “And now at 42, I am still the same guy preaching what I see is best for people.”

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism • Christianity

soundoff (5,298 Responses)
  1. Jose Kuhn

Religion is nothing more than a vehicle to rewrite ones self image with a large and pronounced support system..

The problem I have with some religions are those people who when they are confronted with repeatable observable facts warp reality and denounce the facts as falsehoods. And when they read their bible, they cherry pick the content that reaffirms their position while ignoring the vast number of contradictions. (for example the creation story in Genesis 1 and 2) (

Thus, it becomes a cancer that effects their lives in such a way they almost have a Jerry Sandusky-like level of denial.

We are all connected biologically, to the planet chemically and to the stars atomically, We are in the universe and the universe is in us.

That thought gives me comfort.

June 22, 2012 at 3:54 pm |
    • Steve

So, I guess you are saying that we are all related/connected, then??

June 24, 2012 at 6:47 pm |
  2. tsant

Jeremiah 14:14-16 ESV / 6 helpful votes
    And the Lord said to me: “The prophets are prophesying lies in my name. I did not send them, nor did I command them or speak to them. They are prophesying to you a lying vision, worthless divination, and the deceit of their own minds. Therefore thus says the Lord concerning the prophets who prophesy in my name although I did not send them, and who say, ‘Sword and famine shall not come upon this land’: By sword and famine those prophets shall be consumed. And the people to whom they prophesy shall be cast out in the streets of Jerusalem, victims of famine and sword, with none to bury them—them, their wives, their sons, and their daughters. For I will pour out their evil upon them.

June 22, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
  3. tsant

Jeremiah 23:1-4 ESV
    “Woe to the shepherds who destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture!” declares the Lord. Therefore thus says the Lord, the God of Israel, concerning the shepherds who care for my people: “You have scattered my flock and have driven them away, and you have not attended to them. Behold, I will attend to you for your evil deeds, declares the Lord. Then I will gather the remnant of my flock out of all the countries where I have driven them, and I will bring them back to their fold, and they shall be fruitful and multiply. I will set shepherds over them who will care for them, and they shall fear no more, nor be dismayed, neither shall any be missing, declares the Lord.

June 22, 2012 at 3:43 pm |
    • Hello

READ Caesar's Messiah to learn who wrote the bible and why....

It is the greatest discovery since the bible was created.... and the book that will bring an end to the Christian myth.. FINALLY!

June 22, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
    • Honey Badger Dont Care

Whats to learn? Didnt everybody take a Western Civ class? It was created, along with the divinity of Jesus, during the Council of Nicea. No news flash.

June 22, 2012 at 4:41 pm |
  4. Rufus K. Moiseemah

May God forgive you! I will remember you in my prayers so that you can have a change of heart for your destiny in God. The problem is that all these years you never had true and honest relationship with God, you only had a religious believed and when that believed got manipulated by other distractions, nothing make sense to you. In fact everything sounded to you like you are in jail. But I will pray for you to experience that personal relationship with God instead of religion which will make you realized that there is God above all. You are not the first person who have lost their place in God but his doors are always open. Come back to God in Jesus name amen...

June 22, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
    • clinlokas

He used to be a preacher, so I'm sure he's heard all these ramblings before. Christianity is a myth told to stupid people to make them feel important. I guarantee that if you were born in Mecca, you'd be Moslem. This man has found truth, go find yours.

June 22, 2012 at 1:44 pm |
    • Wow

Great job on your post. But we must be aware that there will be false preachers in the end times. So for people to be surprised at this should not come at a shock. If God decides to use him later to bring more people to Him then even more to God getting the glory!

June 22, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
  5. MARSHA HIGGINS

i read your bad news and it sadden my heart for GOD said in the last days mens hearts would turn from him, their is know way you can say you once knew him then turn like you have.you never really new him.you say GOD people will hate what your saying you are so wrong i LOVE you my prayer is that your hearts will be changed for as a man thinks so is he.i hope you will think about the message your trying to put out ther GOD will get the victory in the end whether you change your hearts or your thinking. satan learned that when JESUS ROSE ON THAT 3rd day.YOU HAVE TO ASK WHO KINGDOM ARE YOU TRYING TO INPOWER?ONE THAT IS COMING TO A END SOON OR THE THE ONE THAT WILL STAND FOR EVER.BLESS IT BE THE ONE THAT BELEIVES WITH OUT SEEING...LOVE YOU ALL IN JESUS NAME.SOME ONE WHO CARES ABOUT YOU ..

June 22, 2012 at 11:24 am |
    • BRENDA K ROSS

Marsha – Thank you for your gentle expressions. Yes, we are in the last days...and yes, this "movement" of coming out is very sad. I wouldn't want.any person to "preach the Word of God" if they are not believing what they say and I would suppose this must be a painful way to live week after week...so one of these who encourages others who DON'T believe to quit what they are doing isn't unreasonable...and maybe lessen harm in some ways....ALTHOUGH, we are told "the Word of God will NOT RETURN VOID,"!!!!!!!! Therefore, good teaching and food from God's word will still beused by God. (I'm not sure it would be "blessed or honored" by Him...I can't speak with authority on that part.) WE, THE BELIEVERS and the Pastors' peers have work to do. Prayting is the best first step. Hopefully, there is already a "movement" by active Christian ministers who are getting involved and holding the hands of these who are giving up. What I feel and am saying about this "feels and probably sounds" unclear....but it isn't. DON'T EAT THE SHEEP if you don't really believe what you are saying. PRAY for God's guidance. DON'T grow weary of 'doing good.....PRAY for His Holy Spirit to speak to THE FATHER on your behalf. YES, YES, YES, WE WILL BE PRAYING AND FASTING FOR YOU.1"

June 22, 2012 at 12:27 pm |
    • Zaechariah

I apologize if this seems rude, but this is the same rubbish that drove people to give up their life savings and tour around the country warning people that the rapture was coming, which it didn't. It's amazing that you can believe this without a single bit of physical, tangible evidence. The New Testament that I'm sure you hold so dearly was written by unknown authors, with no originals, 20-30 years after Jesus' supposed death.

June 22, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

I would like to see a belief blog report on some people who sold everything to wait on the rapture. I wonder what their journey has shown them.

June 22, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
    • Hello

read Caesar's Messiah... and learn the truth about your god and his dogma created by the Roman Flavian family..

it's a joke book written to fool the Jews to call the Roman Caesar's lord... That's why it is rooted in the Jewish myth...it was written to make the Jews a pacifist rather than a militant group... who..would be willing to . "gave to Caesar what is Caesar's" TAXES! The Jews refused to pay Taxes to the ROMANs.....
      They made the son of god a Jew to be the answer to the Jewish prophecy of the coming Messiah...
      the bible was created to be a Roman government tool for managing the people they concord and those who were the most difficult to melt into the Roman culture / society.. the JEWS.

June 22, 2012 at 4:48 pm |
  6. Star Performer

HOW TO OVERCOME ALL OF YOUR FEARS ...
    Chew gum!
    Smoke!
    Drink coffee!
    Touch on the Bible!
    Anything acceptable overcomes all of your fears!
    Then have no fear touching on the Koran!

June 22, 2012 at 10:16 am |
    • The Corrector

Gosh! You're such a star performer Star Performer!
      I chew gum. I smoke. I drink coffee. I touch on the Bible. I do anything acceptable & I touched on the Koran a few years ago!
      Amen!

June 22, 2012 at 10:22 am |
    • Wow

Bill Deacon

A lot of people follow into false movements of people who refuse to read the Bible themselves. If people for themselves read the Bible from front to finish they would be able to tell if something is being falsely taught. Even athiests are smart enough to know how Christians should act, which is horribly shameful because even athiests know the difference between good and evil. But it is difficult for athiests to have proof of God when the people who supposedly follow Jesus have one foot in this world and in God. What do you think?

June 22, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
  7. Joseph Alba

This is a sad story to read. I pastor a church whose members are mostly poor residents of squatter areas in the Philippines. When faith in Jesus makes the father and mother give up drinking, gambling, and other vices and their children have happier lives as a result is what makes pastoring a joy. When the poor testify how God provides, heals, and sustains them because they pray, a pastor's faith is strengthened. Pastoring can be tough. My inspiration is in Job 42:1-6, which reminds me that to have that breakthrough in times of testing, I should always remember that God is a wonderful God, and it is important to spend time in prayer and meditation so I can "see his face and hear his voice".

Then Job replied to the Lord: "I know that you can do all things; no plan of yours can be thwarted. You asked, 'Who is this that obscures my counsel without knowledge?' Surely I spoke of things I did not understand,

things too wonderful for me to know.

["You said,] 'Listen now, and I will speak; I will question you, and you shall answer me.' My ears had heard of you

but now my eyes have seen you.

Therefore I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes."

Job 42:1-6

June 22, 2012 at 10:14 am |
    • DrewNumberTwo

Confirmation bias. Look it up.

June 22, 2012 at 1:07 pm |
    • AmericanSam

You make a good point about faith in Jesus helping people to overcome their vices. I would like to point out, however, that if the faith is not in something that actually exists, it is not very well-placed. Now this example is going to be a bit ridiculous, but I suppose we could tell people that if they don't act right, a giant lizard man will bite off their fingers and toes. It replace the vices of drinking and smoking (if one considers them vices) with the vice of believing in something that does not exist. As a result, people who believe in this falsity condemn those who do not. It just gets a bit much. In my opinion, fear of punishment is a much less effective way to stop an undesirable behavior than unconditional love. If everyone would just be good to each other, be forgiving, show mercy, show kindness, then I think those undesirable behaviors would fade away into nothing. No need to believe in life after death. In fact, believing that we just have this one life is good enough for me to want to spend it trying to make other people happy.

June 22, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
    • Mr. Black

Was it faith in Jesus that made them give up their vices, or fear of Hell? Enquiring minds want to know!

June 22, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
    • Hello

You do not need mythic lies to get people to stop being idiots... drunks, druggies, just general losers..
      you just need to teach them how to think and stop using crutches to live their lives..
      religion is just another addiction....like people who stop drinking are given cigarettes to replace their chemical cravings.

replacing false myths to replace their other obsessions is no cure... just trading one weakness for another..

READ Caesar's Messiah to learn just how that was created and works.. its a scam.

June 22, 2012 at 4:54 pm |
  8. john

He needs to read A More Excellent Way by Henry W. Wright to understand why prayer doesn't work today.

June 22, 2012 at 9:24 am |
    • Wow

Having faith in God is the first part of a process. God proves Himself when you you you show faith in Him first. God will work in your personal life when you decide to take that step. If you want proof you have to allow Jesus into your life first.

Here is another thought that I want every ones opinion on. You all have/born/given brilliant minds and great personalities that was created for a relationship with others. God the Father welcomes you through Jesus into a relationship because He loves you you you. Please dont think that you are worthless and is just going to extinguish when your body dies, goodness!

June 22, 2012 at 3:54 pm |
    • Hello

there are not supernatural beings... AKA gods... that is just a mythic lie.... like talking snakes, witches, dragons and devils.

it is all just a bunch of mythic garbage....

If Walt Disney was alive 2000 yrs ago.. Micky Mouse would be a god....

June 22, 2012 at 5:28 pm |
  9. FStocking

I would be glad to form my opinion of a person by their deeds, kind or not, loving or not, selfish or not. Don't "come out" as what you are, just be whatever it is and let me decide if what you do is worthy you won't need to tell anyone.

June 22, 2012 at 2:49 am |
  10. NorEaster TC 6

The Story Unbelieving Preacher,

I am not surprise I've been preaching for over thirty eights years I have seen these types before, most think when they pray or ask God for something and it doesn't happen when or where they want it they eventually lose faith.

Because its not about God in the first place its about their own narcissism

June 21, 2012 at 10:38 pm |
    • mandarax

No true Scotsman....

June 21, 2012 at 10:44 pm |
    • kokalol

sorry, but there is no logical fallacy committed here (no true scotsman). The bible teaches that there will be false professors of the faith. They claim to be Christian, but inwardly they are hypocrites (play-actors). Why don't you think before you blindly attribute fallacies when there is no basis for doing so.

June 22, 2012 at 2:10 am |
    • mandarax

Again, your argument is that there will be false professors, therefore he is one. That is a horribly illogical argument. I can just as easily state that because the bible says there will be false prophets, you are a false prophet.

June 22, 2012 at 3:27 am |
    • annmid

There is no greater equal for narcisisstic happiness than being a clergyperson. Clergy get their needs satisfied by pretending to know things they don't (and can't possibly) know and convincing othere that they have some kind of inside track on the divine. When someone comes clean like this comes clean and fesses up that they don't have the answers, they face the scorn and wrath of folks like you.

June 22, 2012 at 8:11 am |
    • mhjones2001

I agree about this not being a "No True Scottsman "falklacy. I wouldn't be such a fallacy if I said "No true atheist believes God exists." This fallacy is applicable only when you are dealing with a characteristic not intrinsic to the person or object. As a previous commentor says, the Bible says that if they leave us, it is because they were never one of us." This fellow sounds a lot like Dan Barker – pentecostal, not particularly familiar with Christian doctrine, spent his time being busy, and even now spends time knocking down straw men.

June 22, 2012 at 10:12 am |
    • Zaechariah

How can you claim to know what this gentlman thoughts and feelings are? Seems a bit judgemental. A lot of these men truly "believed", or at least thought they did. What evidence is their that the bible is divinely inspired? Why should anyone care what it says in the bible? – Legitimate questions.

June 22, 2012 at 12:14 pm |
    • Hello

there is nothing more narcissistic than religion... the Jewish/ Christian god is a raging narcissist character...

What a narcissist wants most, is to be worshiped. and admired... their god = AKA a true Narcissistic azz- hole.

June 22, 2012 at 5:32 pm |
  11. mandarax

This is a double-post, but I think it's a worthwhile question. Why are there so many "no true Scotsman" defenses playing out here (the argument that if DeWitt stopped being a Christian, then he was never a true Christian). What if DeWitt once believed just as sincerely as you do and for the same reasons that you do? What then?

Why do active Christians find it so hard to accept that someone who once believed just as strongly, just as passionately, and just as earnestly as they do, might honestly change their mind and stop believing? Is it threatening? Are you programmed so strongly as to instinctively deflect any and all thoughts that are contrary to your beliefs?

June 21, 2012 at 10:26 pm |
    • kokalol

you are showing evidence of your ignorance of the bible and biblical theology. The reason that we believe that there can be false, professing Christians, is because the bible teaches that this can be the case. Besides, you don't evidently know what faith is as the bible defines it. Reformed theology says "saving faith" has three aspects (from the Latin):

Noticia
      Assensus
      Fiducia

Noticia is an awareness. For example, I am aware there is a chair in the room and that chairs will hold people who sit in them.
      Assensus I assent, mentally, that if I sit in that chair in the room it will hold me.
      Fiducia I put my faith in my "belief" and walk over to the chair, sit in it, and remain sitting in it.

It's possible for an unbeliever to have the first 2 aspects of faith (that is to have both understanding and intellectual assent to biblical doctrine) but not have the 3rd (Fiducia), and thus fail to be a true born-again regenerated Christian.

June 22, 2012 at 2:20 am |
    • kokalol

to reinforce my previous point, the bible teaches that it is not enough to merely believe in a set of facts in order to be a true christian. If that were true, then demons are christians (but they obviously aren't) "Even the demons believe, and tremble" James 1

In addition to belief in the truth, there must be a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. That's what these apostates were lacking. If they were of the master's sheep, they would know his voice and follow him:
      "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:" John 10:27

Perserverance in the faith is evidence of the validity and geniuness of a person's faith:

"They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us." 1 John 2:19

June 22, 2012 at 2:29 am |
    • mandarax

Uh, nice scriptures, but I think you missed MY point. Why are you compelled to argue that every apostate was never a "real" believer, can there really never be a single person that once truly believed and then stopped? If I understand you correctly, you are saying that true faith perseveres, and thus any faith that does not persevere forever was thus never true faith. That is a circular argument. Need I point out that a true Scotsman always does X, thus any Scotsman who does not do X is not a true Scotsman?

June 22, 2012 at 3:17 am |
    • mandarax

Furthermore, "The reason that we believe that there can be false, professing Christians, is because the bible teaches that this can be the case."

You are using that as logical justification for calling someone you disagree with a false professing Christian. You are claiming that you know DeWitt was a false Christian because the bible says that there can be false Christians. There CAN BE, therefore he IS one. Surely you can see the flaws in that logic.

June 22, 2012 at 3:22 am |
    • gracedme

mandarax I see what you're getting at, but it's an incomplete picture. It seems that your assumption is that there's nothing in it from God in the relationship of faith. IE: It's a one way thing the way you are phrasing it. Without getting long-winded here, I know I would submit that in my relationship, I don't believe a person can experience the grace of God and still turn away from that. You might have the wrong connotations when I use this word, but I don't see how someone can reject the experienced blessings of God. At the same time, I've seen enough hype for stars, politicians, and other VIPs to know that people can become caught up in a thing. Being caught up in religious faith is certainly possible without being caught up in God. In fact, probably some of the vitriol you see here is a different slant on the same perspective. Remember that Jesus left the 99 for the 1 and these folks in no way threaten my faith. God's grace is waiting in the wings; if He can do that, I can do that.

June 22, 2012 at 11:42 am |
    • Bill Deacon

Nothing is less important than the score at half time.

June 22, 2012 at 12:06 pm |
    • Hello

What leads most people to become Atheists is to read the bible and other dogma books...
      If they have any self thinking skills at all they soon realize the dogma is nothing but a bunch of BS..

Most preacher's kids are the worst kids of all, because they can see first hand at home what is true and the lies daddy is preaching. That it is all a scam. that daddy is just trying to scam money out of the people to get rich... instead of getting a real job where really he works for a living, instead of telling a bunch stupid people a bunch of lies to beg money from them.

June 22, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
  12. NorEaster TC 6

This is No Doubt a SCAM !!!

Partaking in a miracle, after reading through this miniature book you can see the red flags rising first of all no doctor anywhere is going to give a total stranger medical information about a patient second the doctor continue's to call the total stranger and give an update whenever the stranger requests it.

Next the person ask God to rain blessings upon the doctor and his family, there is no mention of praying for the doctor's salvation or his family what good are showers of blessing if the person is not saved and on his way to eternal destruction!!!

Finally the catch, always asking for money the bottom line that's what scammers DO!

June 21, 2012 at 10:23 pm |
  13. Star Performer

I stay lawful & I benefit.

June 21, 2012 at 9:48 pm |
    • The Corrector

Welcome Star Performer,
      It's about time you showed up!
      We all know who you are & God bless you.
      Witness & judge their toxic garbage scams!
      Amen!

June 21, 2012 at 9:51 pm |
    • Star Performer

@The Corrector
      You are truly an honest & decent person.
      God will reward you.

June 21, 2012 at 9:54 pm |
  14. The Corrector

I teamed up with the Department of Corrections long ago.
    I advise the Department of Corrections.
    Guess what! They take my advice.
    We know precisely how to sort this chaos out.
    If you're into chaos – you're going down.
    CAN YOU FOLLOW ANY LAWFUL ADVICE?

June 21, 2012 at 9:45 pm |
  15. Steve

@Moby Schtick;

You seem to be fairly reasonable and intelligent. I'm sure you realise there is a "counterfeit god" running around impersonating and discrediting the One True God, right?

Please look up Strong's Concordance entry G500 (which is composed of root words G473 and G5547) to see that the literal meaning of "Antichrist" as used in the Bible is, "instead of Christ" or, "in place of Christ".

"Antichrist", therefore means, literally, "someone who stands instead of, or in place of, the real Jesus Christ".

June 21, 2012 at 8:03 pm |
  16. NativeBornAmerican

Athiest Preacher is the same as honest compassionate liberal right?

June 21, 2012 at 7:53 pm |
  17. NativeBornAmerican

Athiest Preacher must be the same as honest, compassionate liberal??????????

June 21, 2012 at 7:52 pm |
  18. the voice of reason

Double posting stupidity. I hear Nigeria calling!

June 21, 2012 at 6:06 pm |
    • I Don't Get It

It is absolutely incomprehensible how, after all these years of exposing the hoaxes, scams and fraud and all of the warnings, that these imbeciles fall for this stuff.

June 21, 2012 at 6:40 pm |
    • NativeBornAmerican

There is a new program where liberals can be trained to work for a living and not hate..........it has had limited success but there is hope.......

June 21, 2012 at 7:54 pm |
  19. Joe Clem

Maybe Jerry DeWitt should have asked himself the question Paul asked in Acts 19:2, "Did you receive the holy Spirit when you believed?" When Paul fould out that they did not, he preached salvation in the Lord Jesus to them, baptized them the name of Lord Jesus, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke in tongues. Either Jerry DeWitt had no real experience with our Lord Jesus to begin with, or he did, and then turned his back on the blood by which he was saved/cleansed, and has entered into the truth of Heb 10:29 which says, "How much severer punishment do you think he will deserve who has trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has insulted the Spirit of grace ?"

June 21, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Or the holy spirit doesn't exist and is the exact feeling experienced by other worshipers of other gods who have throes of ecstasy and babble and that sort of thing. It's funny how often two christians who claim to be filled with the holy ghost disagree on spiritual matters, isn't it? Doesn't seem like something HS would do, does it?

June 21, 2012 at 6:32 pm |
    • mandarax

Okay, and what if DeWitt did ask himself that, and what if he did indeed "receive the holy spirit?" What then? Why do active Christians find it so hard to accept that someone who once believed just as strongly, just as passionately, and just as earnestly as they do, might honestly change their mind?

June 21, 2012 at 10:19 pm |
    • kokalol

mandarax, to answer your question, if deWitt received the holy spirit, then he would not have fallen away. God living in him would have preserved his faith.
      Sincerely believing in the doctrines of the bible are necessary, but not sufficient conditions for being a Christian. In addition, you must be born-again and regenerated.

June 22, 2012 at 2:35 am |
    • mandarax

Please, look up some examples of circular arguments.

June 22, 2012 at 3:30 am |
    • mandarax

Here's an example:

How do you know faith is real?
      Because it doesn't go away.
      How do you know it doesn't go away?
      Because it's real.
      How do you know it's real?
      Because it doesn't go away...

Here's another:
      Everything the bible says is true.
      How do you know?
      Because the bible says so.
      How do you know it's right about that?
      Because everything the bible says is true.

June 22, 2012 at 3:47 am |
    • Bill Deacon

I don't know if everything in the Bible is true. I only know the portions that apply to me are. Some of those lessons came hard. This leads me to believe that I can accept other portions and work to comprehend their meaning, hopefully before the consequences of my errant choices get too painful!.

June 22, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
  20. Ariel

PARTAKING IN A MIRACLE

On June 3nd I received a message in my email box that read, ‘I have chosen you’. When I opened the email and read it my thoughts were upon what God was speaking into my heart. Opening the door for Him to bring that forth meant closing the door to her understanding of the words ‘I have chosen you’ laid out in her email. The response I received back after replying to her email clearly stated she was not willing to close that door for believing in her heart that God opened it through something He spoke unto her when she read one of the letters posted on my website http://www.theresurrection.ca.

Knowing God had called me to pray for this lady who had liver cancer; I emailed her again. I gave her my phone number and asked her to please set aside trying to fulfil what she heard from God, and to allow Him to bring forth in her life what He had set in my heart.

The following day (June 4th) I received a phone call from her. She lives on the Ivory Coast. Her dialect, shortness of breath, and persistent coughing made it difficult for me to hear and understand what she was saying. Before I was able to communicate with her, the phone went dead. When she called back, I asked her to send me an email with her phone number and told her that I would call her as soon as I received it. When it showed up in my email a few minutes later I returned her call. It was quite evident that she was anxious to speak with me. Seeing her state of anxiety I asked her to relax, that I needed for her to calm down, and told her that if we got cut of I would call her right back.

When we spoke, it was very clear that she thought I didn’t appreciate what she was trying to accomplish. There was something she wanted to do for me, and believed in her heart that God had asked her to do it, and desperately wanted to do it before going in for surgery on Friday June 8th. After listening to her, I told that there was a difference between what God asked her to do and His instruction to me, and that I needed to be obedient unto God, and to seek Him in prayer to fulfil in her life what He had set in my heart. I could tell she was moved by that through her response. The moment she surrendered doing what she felt God asked her to do, and began seeking God to fulfil what He had set in my heart, God’s Spirit entered into her, and through allowing me to feel His presence upon her He guided me in prayer for her.

I didn’t tell her what God had set upon my heart when I read her email. God had called me to seek Him to bring forth what He had set upon my heart. Stella needed to see God fulfil what He had set in my heart; my call was to seek Him to bring that forth, and through His Spirit in the midst of the situation I was able to testify of Christ through asking God to open Stella’s understanding of His Son by giving her peace and strength. The feeling I got through her emails and through speaking with her was that she felt she wouldn’t survive the surgery; that is not what I felt.

Later that day God spoke unto me through a Scripture that I emailed to Stella. But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint, Isaiah 40:31.

The following morning she called me, June 5th. She said she read the Scripture I sent her, and that God had spoken unto her through it, and asked me if I would pray for her. Feeling God’s presence upon her, I asked Him to guide me, and then sought Him for her by asking Him to reveal His Son unto her by giving her divine peace and strength; this was my supplication every time I prayed over the phone for her. She called me later that same day towards evening time. She was deeply moved by the experience she was having with God, as was I. She wanted to know if I would pray for her again. After I prayed, she told me that she was having a problem with her email; that she was unable to log on to it. Seeing her frustration, I felt it was best not to deal with it at that time, and told her I felt she needed to get some rest, that I wanted her to focus on what God was going, and that I would call her in the morning and help her with her email, and that if we couldn’t figure it out I would lead her through setting up a new account. She was content with that, and then we said goodnight.

The following morning we resolved the issue, and then we spent some time before God in prayer. She spoke about an appointment she had with her doctor at the hospital that day, at which point I asked her for the name of the hospital and for her doctor’s name along with the phone number to the hospital. After giving me that information I asked her to inform her doctor that I would be calling him after her surgery on Friday, and to send me an email when she got home from her appointment.

She called me around 5 pm; her breathing very heavy, I knew something was wrong. After telling me that she was still at the hospital, and that her doctor wouldn’t allow her to home, I asked her if there was any way I could speak with her doctor. It was evident that he was nearby because I heard her calling for him. Seconds later I heard her asking him if he could speak with me. When he came on the phone I introduced myself, and then asked him to give me an update on Stella. I didn’t have a good understanding of her condition until then. He told me that she was much weaker from when he last saw her which was Monday June 4th, and that he was keeping her in the hospital hoping with medication she would be strong enough to for her surgery that he had scheduled for Friday June 8th. After speaking with him, I spoke with Stella, and before saying goodbye we spent some time before God in prayer. I told her that I would keep in touch with her doctor, and asked her to give him permission to speak with me.

When I called the hospital the following day the news wasn’t good. Stella had slipped into a comma throughout the night, and the doctor had to cancel her surgery. It was a difficult day for me, and I spent most of in prayer seeking God to fulfil in her life what He set in my heart.

When I called the hospital the following day I received the same news; I spent that day and evening in prayer before God. When I called the hospital the following day her doctor informed that her condition was very serious and that she was not responding to the medication her had given her. .

Sunday June 10th I received a call from her doctor. He wanted to know if I could help by sending money so he could purchase blood and medications for her. There is a shortage of blood on the Ivory Coast. People are dying every day because of it, and the hospitals are purchasing blood from neighbouring countries to help save lives. Many people die because the hospitals don’t have the funds to purchase the blood needed to save lives, most of those dying are young children. You can read about this tragic situation by going to Google and typing in the following ‘is there a shortage of blood in Cote D’Ivoire’.

The following day after sending the money the doctor requested, he called me to inform me that he had purchased the blood and medications Stella needed, and that she was responding to the medication. He also told me that I saved her life, and thanked me for my help. My response was that I was happy that I could help out, and that I had nothing to do with saving her life, that God was watching over her and that I deeply appreciated his calls keeping me informed of her condition.
    On June 12th I received another call from Stella’s doctor. He sounded quite cheerful on the phone; he said the person with him had something they wanted to say to me. Stella’s first words to me were ‘thank you for what you have done. I owe you my life’. Troubled by that, I told her that she owed her life unto God, that all I done was follow His instruction. The following day I spoke with both Stella and her doctor; she was improving.

On June 14th I received a call from her doctor informing me he had rescheduled her surgery for June 15th. That night, I bowed before God, and asked Him to bring all the cancer in Stella’s body into one place, so when the doctors removed the tumor in her body all the cancer that had spread throughout her body would be in that tumor. I knew from having spoken with her doctor that the cancer had spread throughout her body. Her doctor also told me that if Stella survived the surgery, it would be an act of God, and that the risk of not doing the surgery was equally as life threatening.

When I spoke with her doctor on June 14th I told him that I believed God was going to raise Stella up, and that she was going to bring forth a testimony of His Son for her people. After speaking with her that day, I wrote her a letter, and emailed it to the hospital requesting it be given to her in the morning before going into surgery. The letter described the difference between natural love and spiritual love and how thankful I was that God had blessed my life through bringing her into it.
    June 15th, day of surgery. When I called Stella that morning, she was reading my letter. After thanking me for sending it, she told me that she desperately wanted to see me, and then asked if I would email a picture of myself to the hospital so she could see my face before going into surgery. I told her that I would do it right away and that I would call her back when I sent it. After I set it, I called her doctor to tell him that I had emailed a picture of myself to the hospital and asked if he would give it Stella. He said he would do it immediately because he knew how desperate she was to see my face, and then thanked me for sending it.

Shortly thereafter I called Stella; she was very excited to have received my picture. We had a very calm and relaxing conversation; she was peaceful that morning, but I could tell she didn’t believe she was going to survive her surgery. Hoping to ease her concerns I informed her that I had sent her doctor some additional money the night before in case blood was needed after her surgery, and that I wanted her to know because I didn’t want her to go into surgery worrying about not having the blood she required. (I was aware some would be required after her surgery from having spoken with her doctor who did not request that money because he didn’t think she was going to survive surgery.) Before saying goodbye to Stella that morning I told her that I believed her and I would someday meet, that I loved her, and that I wasn’t going to pray for her that morning because it was a day to praise God, and that I was going to spend that day praising Him for what He was about to do in her life that day. Before leaving the phone she told me that she loved me from the bottom of her heart; I thanked her, and told her that I would speak with her after her surgery when she was able to speak on the phone.

At 1 pm her doctor called to inform me that she was going into surgery, and that he expected the surgery would take 4 1/2 to 5 hours. Around 4:30 pm he called me to tell me that Stella had her surgery, that she was okay, and that he would call me later. I bowed before God and thanked Him for the miracle Stella received that day, and for allowing me to be a witness to that miracle. Her doctor and I spoke again around 9 pm that evening. Seeing his amazement that she had survived the surgery I told about my prayer the night before. There was a quiver in his voice when he said these words ‘what you described to me is exactly what happened’. Before leaving the phone I prayed asking God to rain blessings upon that doctor and his family. The praise he was giving God while I prayed asking God to bless him and his family made a perfect ending to a perfect day. What an awesome God we serve, and if the shepherds in the field understood what it meant to pray and seek God for what He sets in their heart, and to allow God to fulfill what He sets in their heart, God’s sheep would be witnesses unto God, and Christ would be with man, and this world be a much different place than it is.

I have spoken with Stella twice since her surgery and daily with her doctor. There is no medical insurance in her Country; she paid for her surgery prior to going into the hospital. Her doctor told me that she would be in the hospital for a month, and asked me if I could help him raise $ 3000.00 for her care, her food and the blood supplement pills she requires. When I took this need before God in prayer He spoke into my heart to use His website to raise this money required for Stella. The doctor, Stella and I each have a testimony of God that we gained though this incredible experience, but that’s not the Testimony you have just read. Hear ye what God’s Spirit is saying and seek Him in your lives for He is more than able to meet every need.

Stella’s email is the first email I received since this website went on line. I look forward to hearing her testimony through witnessing what God is going to do for her people. Christ is the foundation upon which God’s House is built, and when we seek God to bring us into His image Christ is manifested in our lives.

If you wish to donate to Stella’s need you can safely so by clicking on http://www.theresrrection.ca, and then clicking on enter, and that will lead you to the box that says, donate.

In closing, may God’s Spirit rest upon all who read this Testimony, Amen.

Ariel

PARTAKING IN A MIRACLE
    In closing, may God’s Spirit rest upon all who read this Testimony, Amen.
    Ariel

June 21, 2012 at 5:03 pm |
    • Smite Them

"I received a call from her doctor. He wanted to know if I could help by sending money so he could purchase blood and medications for her."

OH, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

(Ariel, Don't you dare apply for welfare, food stamps or Medicaid when you have been fleeced of all your money in these SCAMS)

June 21, 2012 at 5:28 pm |
    • Timmuh

This is a well known Nigerian scam you silly woman. Do not send anymore money. You have just been fleeced.

June 22, 2012 at 1:04 am |
    • Do You Finally Get It

Ariel,

No "God" was speaking unto your heart (or any other body organ). No "God" ever spoke to anyone. "Scriptures" are not the "words" of any "God".

June 22, 2012 at 2:14 am |
    • gil

believers will be mad because their flocks are melting years after years in civilized countries...dont be stressed out Jerry we are millions outspoken bright and highly educated atheists...american talibans will be history someday....

June 22, 2012 at 9:41 am |
    • Bill Deacon

Why would we be mad at something foretold to be coming?

June 22, 2012 at 12:13 pm |
    • awestley

You are likely part of the scam or got scammed yourself.

June 22, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
    • Bizarre

Believers have no gag reflexes - they'll swallow *anything*!

June 22, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
    • Hello

there is a reason the Christians are called sheep.. because they are easily fleeced.
      I bet this same scenario was used ion thousands to get money... don't you feel so special that you were ROBBED by an
      a scammer?
      Put on a good god talk and you can zuck millions from the flock... I bet millions of our tax money that is given to freeloaders is funneled to these scammers too....
      its all about the money,.... nothing more..
      If you get an e-mail or call about a "poor me" situation... let them talk on.. when they get to the "send me money part"
      tell them to f themselves... you know they are scammers..

June 22, 2012 at 5:47 pm |