home
RSS
June 19th, 2012

Belief Blog's Morning Speed Read for Tuesday, June 19

By Laura Koran, CNN

Here's the Belief Blog’s morning rundown of the top faith-angle stories from around the United States and around the world. Click the headlines for the full stories.

From the Blog:

CNN: Key Catholic group drops support for White House contraception plan
The Obama administration’s key Catholic ally on its controversial plan to require health insurers to provide free contraceptive coverage is dropping support for the plan, potentially complicating the president’s relations with Catholics in an election year. The Catholic Health Association, which comprises 2,000 Catholic hospitals, health systems and related organizations, said Friday that although it had initially supported what the White House called a compromise on the contraception issue, it is now “deeply concerned” about the plan and says the White House “has not relieved our initial concerns.”

Tweet of the Day:

Belief on TV:

Enlightening Reads:

The National Catholic Reporter: Nuns on the Bus kicks off nationwide tour in Iowa
Republican and Catholic Congressman Steve King of Iowa should have known better than to disappoint a nun, especially a group of them who have come clean across the United States just to see him. But that is exactly what he did Monday, leaving a small typed note taped on the door of his newly opened Ames office that said he was meeting with voters across his newly redrawn Iowa 4th Congressional District.

The Jewish Telegraphic Agency: OU formally comments on Obama contraceptive coverage rules
The Orthodox Union in formal comments expressed its concerns on pending Obama administration regulations mandating employer-sponsored health plans for contraceptives and sterilization. The comments filed Monday with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services express concerns over the regulations’ exemption of houses of worship but not other religious entities such as schools, hospitals and social welfare program providers.

Religion News Service: American nuns call Vatican talks ‘difficult’
Relations between the Vatican and the American nuns who are under investigation seem to be worsening after the sisters said Monday that initial discussions with Rome about a resolution to their standoff were “difficult” and that comments by several U.S. bishops have not made negotiations easier.

The Salt Lake Tribune: Marco Rubio’s book explains why he left Mormonism
Florida Sen. Marco Rubio credits his short-lived time as a Mormon for providing a moral compass in his youth, though he also discloses for the first time his family’s struggles with the constraints of the faith and his eventual return to the Catholic fold. In his new autobiography, An American Son, available Tuesday, the Florida Republican candidly discusses the three years he spent as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and lauds the Utah-based faith for helping his Cuban-immigrant mother and him when they moved from Miami to Las Vegas when he was a grade-schooler.

The Washington Post: Child preacher in Prince George’s believes God speaks through him
Ezekiel Stoddard is 11. Last month, he was ordained as a minister in his family’s independent Pentecostal church, an act sanctioned by the state of Maryland. Ezekiel is part of a centuries-long tradition, one that spans the globe. Even as the world becomes ever more modern and sophisticated, child preachers remain a subject of fascination and debate.

Quote of the Day:

The world looks at me and thinks, you know, I’m a football player that’s a Christian. You know? I look at the world and say ‘I’m a Christian that happens to play football.’

Football player Tim Tebow, speaking at an evangelical Father’s Day event at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego on Sunday, on being received by the public as a Christian role model. Watch the full CBS report here.

Join the conversation…

Pastor Tony Evans and his father Arthur.

CNN: My Faith: How Jesus saved my dad and my family
This article was adapted from “Kingdom Man” by Dr. Tony Evans, Senior Pastor of Oak Cliff Bible Fellowship in Dallas and president of The Urban Alternative.

- CNN's Laura Koran

Filed under: Uncategorized

1. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things

June 21, 2012 at 8:55 pm |
    • Jesus

Prayer doesn’t not; you are such a LIAR. You have NO proof it changes anything! A great example of prayer proven not to work is the Christians in jail because prayer didn't work and their children died. For example: Susan Grady, who relied on prayer to heal her son. Nine-year-old Aaron Grady died and Susan Grady was arrested.

June 22, 2012 at 11:36 am |
  2. Jack

Good morning. Everyone is welcome to visit ... thestarofkaduri.com

June 19, 2012 at 11:23 am |
  3. Doc Vestibule

Gloria Taylor, a 64 year old woman suffering from ALS (Lou Gherig's Disease) has won her case with the Supreme Court of Canada to allow her to die with dignity.
    Justice Lynn Smith has deemed the current laws probiting euthanasia "unconsti/tutional and discriminatory".
    Parliament will take the next year to determine if the ruling will become permanent, but Gloria has been granted the right to seek doctor as/sisted suicide in the interim.

From the Christian perspective, do you think she should be granted her wish, or should be be required to run out the length of her disease and die of natural causes?

June 19, 2012 at 11:17 am |
    • HeavenSent

"For we have become partakers of Christ IF we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the END. . ."

Hebrews 3:14

Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.

1 John 3:15

"But he who endures to the end shall be saved."

Matthew 24:13

Colossians 1:19-23

19 For it pleased [the Father] that in him should all fulness dwell;
      20 And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, [I say], whether [they be] things in earth, or things in heaven.
      21 And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in [your] mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled
      22 In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight:
      23 If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and [be] not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, [and] which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

Amen.

June 19, 2012 at 12:12 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Without the Bible-babble, HS, state your opinion. After all, you might be the next one to be diagnosed with Alzheimer's or ALS or pancreatic cancer.

June 19, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
    • HeavenSent

I forgot Tommie, Tom that you have no eyes to see or ears to hear Jesus' truth. Suicide or assisted suicide is NOT enduring to the end. Those that ask for assistance to end their lives or those that assist others to end their lives are conducting murder.

June 19, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@HeavenSent
      Is compassion not a Christian virtue?
      If I were the victim, I wouldn't choose to have my family endure the va/garies of my inevitable decline.
      To be trapped in a useless body, unable to so much as communicate while maintaining perfect lucidity is a torture I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

June 19, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
    • Huebert

@HS

Suffering should never be endured it should be fought, or escaped. Persons with Parkinson's, ALS, or Lou Gherig's have been fighting for a long time. Who are you to say that they don't have a right to escape their pain in the only way left open? For that matter why would your god want a persons soul taped in a suffering body instead of being allowed to pass on?

June 19, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
    • HeavenSent

People with debilitating diseases are entering the experience of their spiritual journey. Who is man/woman to deny said journey? Who is man/woman telling or insisting that said patient should end their spiritual journey because their flesh body has failed? We are more than flesh body. We are spiritual, experiencing life in flesh bodies.

June 19, 2012 at 2:02 pm |
    • HeavenSent

P.S. I lost my spouse to ALS.

June 19, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Who's "insisting" that anyone be forced to do anything? Why shouldn't the person who is dying have the final say?

June 19, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Suppose your spouse had wanted to be allowed to die with the assistance of a physician? Would you have denied him that? Would you have insisted he be resuscitated, or is a DNR okay? What about removal of a feeding tube, or the decision not to have one? Who gets to make these choices?

June 19, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@HeavenSent

You're showing your love of suffering again.

June 19, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
    • HeavenSent

HawaiiGuest, stop fooling yourself into believing you have me convinced that you are righteous.

Ye are of your father the devil , and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

John 8:44

Amen.

June 19, 2012 at 2:34 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Suicide is rejecting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior.
      Man is held responsible for his actions: Revelation 20:11-15; Galatians 6:7; 1 Corinthians 5:10
      The very fact that they are suicidal (ready and willing to kill themselves) proves: 1 Samuel 15:23; Romans 5:1
      Suicide goes directly against: Matthew 24:13; John 15:1-6; Romans 11:22; 1 Corinthians 15:2; Colossians 1:23; Hebrews 3:6, 14; 12:25; and 1 John 5:4
      Committing suicide is not enduring to the end: Matthew 24:13
      It is not abiding in Christ: John 15:1-6
      It is not continuing in His goodness: Romans 11:22
      It is not holding fast the word: 1 Corinthians 15:2
      It is being moved away from the hope of the gospel: Colossians 1:23
      It is not holding fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm to the end: Hebrews 3:6
      It is not holding the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end: Hebrews 3:14
      It is refusing and turning away from Him who speaks from heaven: Hebrews 12:25
      It is not overcoming the world: 1 John 5:4
      It is being overcome by the world and the devil: 1 Peter 5:8; 1 John 5:18

June 19, 2012 at 2:36 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@HeavenSent
      I am sorry you had to endure such a slow and painful loss of your loved one.
      TTPS does raise a good point – is it suicide to deny medical treatment that can prolong life?
      IE: refusing a feeding tube, a DNR clause etc.
      My partner and I are at opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to such things, but we respect each other's choices and would not presume to force the other to change their mind.

June 19, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Doc, I'm not sure what the "Christian perspective" should have to do with the law. It doesn't seem as though religious tenets entered into the judge's decision.

June 19, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@HeavenSent

Yay more bible babble from the queen of hate. Revel in your suffering oh great one, you seem more like the "devil" you profess to believe in than anyone I know.

June 19, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
    • JellyBean@HeavenSent

Just curious, would you put down an animal that is slowly and painfully dying?

June 19, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Doc, this is an area in which I'm very interested. What I have learned is that even with PoA, advanced directives, and living wills, people's wishes about their own end-of-life care and the decisions they make in advance are sometimes completely ignored by the medical community. There is nothing 'natural' about death in this country.

June 19, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
    • HeavenSkunt

"Those that ask for assistance to end their lives or those that assist others to end their lives are conducting murder"

So anyone who sits on jury and condemns someone to death, the judge that imposes the sentence, the guards working in the jail and anyone else who is involved in executing prisoners is going to hell?

June 19, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Tom Tom
      The Christian perspective should have NOTHING to do with the law – I'm just curious.
      Given that her opinion often differs from other Christians, I'm not taking HeavenSent's word as gospel (pun intended).

But I too am concerned with what the medical profression here does. My mother was a nurse and my father Commandant of the Canadian Forces Medical Services School. know that they respect the wishes of the patient, so long as the decisions were not made under duress. All of us have made it a point to doc/ument our respective orders in no uncertain terms should the time ever come.

How do you feel about the recent changes in law that makes every Canadian an organ donor unless they specifically state otherwise?

June 19, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Doc, I can't really comment on that, since I'm not Canadian and don't really know anything about that law.

I have seen doctors here refuse to follow the express written wishes of patients, ordering treatment and hospitalization even when the person's illness is untreatable and incurable.

June 19, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
    • Jen

Doc and Tom Tom,

I agree that a lot of doctors ignore orders at the very end. My friends that are in the medical field tell me that doctors often give a little extra dose of morphine, etc to end suffering, even without directive. A lot of time the patient is too incapacitated to make any requests. I know I would prefer that, but I can not speak for others.

Doc, I have not kept up on my Canadian news since moving to the US. Love that euthanasia is on it's way to being legal (Canada is ahead of the US again). Didn't know about the organ donor law either. I definitely support organ donation. As long as it is easy to opt out I'm all for it.

June 19, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
    • HeavenSent

I can't answer you folks, my posts are being blocked ... Let's see if they allow this message to go through.

June 19, 2012 at 6:12 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

When are you going to get off your paranoid ride, HS, and figure out the filters? Good grief, you aren't THAT stupid, are you?

June 19, 2012 at 6:20 pm |
    • Get Real

Tom, Tom,

I'm trying to give HS a bit of benefit of the doubt - she claims that when someone else is using her screen name she is not able to post. I just don't know if this really happens. I have never been simultaneously hijacked. I know that you have been, though, so perhaps you know if this is true?

June 19, 2012 at 6:30 pm |

Doc Vestibule, Huebert, Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son,

Answer: Scriptures that I posted regarding suicide should be read to, or by, the patient of Jesus' truth, not having them make their decision based on the words of a false preacher speaking man's lies.

Skunt, those people you mentioned are doing what Jesus asked of us. If you debate against OT scriptures remember Mat-thew 5:17-18 (J-esus sp-eaking) NT.

June 19, 2012 at 6:47 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Tommie, Tom and Get real, go check out the pervert who posted under my handle in the other article above this one. They had me blocked for hours.

June 19, 2012 at 6:49 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I have been hijacked numerous times and have NEVER been blocked except when I've accidentally typed one of the "forbidden" letter combinations. There ARE no 'moderators' and pretending that someone is screening these idiotic posts is beyond silly.

June 19, 2012 at 7:00 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

HS, why should any dying person, in pain, be subjected to hearing some bozo read the scriptures if that dying person has already made a decision about how he/she wishes to die?

If some fool tried to pull that crap on me, I'd have him/her removed from my room and barred from entry permanently, no matter who is was.

June 19, 2012 at 7:03 pm |
    • HeavenSent

I wish the perverts and Tommy would quit blocking me. I know CNN does not want to hear Jesus's truth.

Amen.

June 19, 2012 at 7:08 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Tommie Tom, you should listen to Jesus' truth first.

I hope you know the previous post was that of the hijacker.

June 19, 2012 at 7:46 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

HS, I don't care about your paranoia. Why don't you answer the question asked of you? Do you allow an animal that is dying of cancer to continue to suffer? Or do you do the humane thing and have it euthanized? I know you've rescued and fostered pets. Why do you show them more mercy than you're willing to show humans?

June 19, 2012 at 8:06 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Tommie, Tom, I'm not ignoring your answer. Animals are not humans and I've never read a scripture of Jesus' pertaining to animals having a soul or being responsible for their actions. I know from reading scriptures, that Jesus allows all animals into heaven. Animals were created for His pleasure. However, humans are responsible for their actions and their soul is their responsibility (also in His truth). Jesus told us to endure to the end, hence, the scriptures I posted. I have had to euthanize animals. I have never had to euthanize a human, nor, would be involved with recommending it due to failing health. I have witnessed lingering deaths of loved ones. I was never asked by them that their deaths be assisted to its conclusion. If I should find myself in this position, I want my death to come naturally so that I am doing what Jesus asks ... to endure to the end. I'm sure there is spiritual knowledge provided and gained to these individuals experiencing this phase of their life' end.

If I missed anything you asked, I'm sure you will post.

June 19, 2012 at 10:29 pm |

June 19, 2012 at 11:04 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Tommie, Tom, you posted “You've missed plenty, HS. For starters, why should animals be accorded a painless death and humans be deprived of one? If "all animals are in heaven", dear, are they there in body? If not, then they must have some sort of soul, yes? Or do you pretend not to know the answer to this, yet you "know" they are "allowed" in heaven? Puhleeze. Come clean, HS. You are simply pretending that what you'd like to believe is what is true, when you have nothing to prove it is–and in the case of animals, you are completely without evidence of any kind. There is NOTHING in scripture that says 'animals go to heaven' when they die. You just want to believe that.”

Answer: Most of my pets died natural deaths, others were euthanized. Animals can not verbalize their needs or wants, but, humans can communicate what they need or want. It should be mandatory that every person who knows they are dying truly gets to understand what Jesus teaches and weren't conned (or, don't care) by some false preacher/teacher discussing man made lies.

As for animals being in Heaven, read Isaiah 11:6-8 and Isaiah 65:25 ... both scriptures pertain to animals residing in the 3rd heaven/3rd earth age when Jesus Christ returns to reign on the earth as King of Kings.

Flesh bodies (when you are alive on earth) can never enter Heaven, only spiritual bodies (when your earthly flesh body dies) can enter Heaven. Heaven is in a different dimension. As for knowing and loving Jesus' truth, I always have, always will.

“That'd be just fine with me, except that you don't allow anyone ELSE the same lat it ude, lady.
      You wanna think animals go to Heaven? Fine. Then you have no business telling anyone anything about scripture at all, because scripture doesn't support that belief anymore than it supports your belief that gays are doomed to hell or that Jews will burn in a lake of fire.”

Answer: Jesus' truth is all there is. You're blinded into believing the ways of the world (lies). That's the difference between believers knowing Jesus' truth versus non-believers thinking they know truth, but are really conned into believing satan's twisted lies that seem/feel like truth. Everyone can learn Jesus' truth if they shelve (smile) their ego and read His letter he wrote to all of us (the Bible) for the rest of their life.

Matthew 19:30 ... But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first... pertains to the Jews. I think the true Jews from the tribe of Judah, which is one of the tribes of Israel, are righteous and follow Jesus' truth or Moses' truth from the Torah (John 6:45). The rest, claim to be Jews, but, are not Jews.

As for gays, scriptures tell us they are an abomination. Being gay is a sin that folks need to repent, ask Jesus for forgiveness, ask Him that they can get closer to Him, then of course, sin no more (this usually happens when the person decides on abstinence as their choice in life). If refusing to repent, there are many scriptures stating their fate ... that being to burn for eternity, whereas other sinners, get blotted out, never to be remembered they even existed. Folks need to stop paying attention to the sins of the flesh (meaning the lies in this world) and read Jesus' truth how to think and become spiritually minded through life. That's the only advise I will give. I've learned that most (not all) folks that live a gay life, are the most sensitive souls in the world, hence, being conned or traumatized somewhere early in their life. Same with most drunkards and drug addicts, due to being traumatized early in lie. All, walking the same wide path to destruction though because whatever trauma is bothering them, that's what blinds them, preventing them from getting to know Jesus (meaning, to read the Bible daily, for the rest of their lives).

“You want lat it ude? You'd better be prepared to concede that you're not an authority, then.”

Answer: Non-believers, love and following the beast (satan), who lies. Therefore, you are in the unrighteous camp that lives of this world, whereas, Christians live in this world but are not of this world. The authority over ALL is Jesus. I love and follow Jesus 'truth, therefore, I don't concede. Life is a test from Jesus. Start learning not to focus on the lies that make up this world, stop believing that this world is all there is and when you die, that's it. That's the biggest lie satan offers every generation that has ever lived, not just this generation. Truth is ... satan rules this earth to deceive ALL so he can take as many of God's children (yes, you are one of His children, as all humans are) to fry in the lake of fire ... because simply stated, satan lies and he's mastered at his craft.

Just my observation, but, everyone that I've met in my life when conversing about God have never denied Him the way folks on this blog do. I'm including atheists and gay friends to my last statement, never to complain the way that is done on this site. I just chalk it up to maturity on my friends' part versus drama needed by those posting on this blog.

June 20, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
  4. Delusions 3:15

Bobo,
    Did it concern you when Dubya did it ?
    And BTW, your BS about "only staying in heaven for a while", and then coming back to earth is just that. NO religion, except Mormonism believes in planetary "displacement" from a heavenly state. You are a heretic, sir.

June 19, 2012 at 10:32 am |
  5. Mittens Romney for Prez , "I'm not concerned about the very poor."

June 19, 2012 at 9:08 am |
    • Bo

"If Jesus came back today, he would be a rich, ultra conservative, neocon Republican." Just why would you say this?

June 19, 2012 at 10:31 am |
  6. Bo

The contraception concerning Catholics is worn out; everybody who has wanted to comment on this issue has had their say. It really is more of a political issue than a belief issue. And the issue that concerns me the most is that Oboma is acting more like a dictator than a president.

June 19, 2012 at 8:36 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Talk about acting like a dictator! Who are you to decide that "everybody who has wanted to comment on this issue has had their say. It really is more of a political issue than a belief issue"?

June 19, 2012 at 10:33 am |