home
RSS
Can 'true Catholics' support same-sex marriage?
Ex-priest Jim Smith, opponent of Minnesota's ballot to ban same-sex marriages, says these are difficult days to be Catholic.
June 20th, 2012

Can 'true Catholics' support same-sex marriage?

By Chris Welch, CNN

Minneapolis (CNN) - Jim Smith is a former Roman Catholic priest who left his post with the church 10 years ago. He's an ex-priest for several reasons, he says, but one of his main concerns was the church's stance against same-sex marriage and other LGBT issues.

But Smith remains a Catholic - though he says being a Catholic who actively campaigns for legalized same-sex marriages can be difficult these days.

"I'd much rather this wasn't happening," Smith says of the division that the issue has created among Minnesota  Catholics. "But it does provide some real opportunities because it challenges us to talk to each other, Catholics talking to other Catholics."

Minnesota has become the newest epicenter in the same-sex marriage fight. This November, voters will decide whether they want an amendment added to the state's constitution that would ban marriage between members of the same sex.

Smith will be voting "no." And he has helped spearhead efforts in the state to persuade other Catholics to do the same.

A group he helped form,  Catholics for Marriage Equality-Minnesota, aims "to encourage Catholics to consider the profound sacredness of same-gender relationships and to defeat this marriage amendment," Smith says.

Vatican edicts against same-sex marriage often give Catholic same-sex marriage supporters the impression they're in the minority.

Related story: Same-sex marriage by the numbers

But a recent poll by the Public Religion Research Institute (PRRI) suggests 59% of American Catholics support rights allowing gay and lesbian couples to legally marry. One reason behind that statistic - says PRRI CEO Robert P. Jones - is because U.S. Catholics "overwhelmingly reject the idea that sexual orientation can be changed." A PRRI poll bears that out – with 69% of Catholics nationwide saying a person's sexual orientation cannot be changed.

In the Midwest alone, Catholics are evenly divided on the issue of same-sex marriage -– with 46% in favor, 47% against.

Opinion: GOP support for same-sex marriage growing

Related story: Both sides re-energized for upcoming same-sex marriage fight

Like Jim Smith, Michelle LaFrance is a Catholic who has also taken the bold step against the church in support of marriage equality.

"I remember thinking 'wow, maybe I shouldn't [remain a Catholic],' " LaFrance said. Ultimately they've remained with the Catholic faith, citing its many positive aspects including going to church. It's an important weekly ritual for LaFrance, her husband and their three kids.

"The Catholic Church, despite the media [attention] it typically gets, does a lot of great things, a lot of great social justice," LaFrance said. She noted the church "feeds the poor, houses the homeless, takes care of the abused."

The LaFrance family belongs to the Church of St. Margaret Mary in the Minneapolis suburb of Golden Valley, a congregation which LaFrance describes as fairly progressive. She says the majority of her fellow parishioners agree with her stance on same-sex marriage.

But when LaFrance hears the archdiocese telling people how they should think about it, she can't help but sometimes feel like less of a Catholic.

"I don't think anybody - whatever their religious denomination - whole-heartedly follows every single rule down to the letter."

Related story: U.S. history of same-sex marriage

On the other side of the debate stands Dave Deavel.

Although he agrees with LaFrance to an extent, he says he believes there are certain pillars of the Catholic faith that people should follow. One of those is the church stance that marriage should remain between one man and one woman.

"The whole point of what the church teaches is to form people's consciences," Deavel says.

For Deavel, his wife and their five children, attending church is so important they strive to go multiple times a week.

He's active with Minnesota for Marriage, which supports of the same-sex-marriage ban, and has written various blog posts on the topic for the Minnesota Catholic Conference.

Asked whether he believes a person can be "less of a Catholic" for disagreeing with the church, Deavel says the Vatican "doesn't really have a certain category for 'less of a Catholic.' "

"But they certainly don't represent what the church teaches," he said. "Is it a spiritual problem? I think yes."

Opinion: The secret gay agenda

In a written statement the MCC said groups such as Catholics for Marriage Equality "do not have any right to call their organizations 'Catholic.'"

In the past, the conference has issued statements accusing Catholics for Marriage Equality of trying "to confuse Catholics and the public about authentic church teaching" on marriage.

"Catholics for Marriage Equality MN attempts to convince Catholics that they can be in good standing with the church and oppose church teaching about human sexuality and marriage, which centers on the complementarity of the sexes and the mutual self-gift of loving spouses in marital union," said an MCC statement.

The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis declined CNN's request for an interview, but it agreed with sentiments expressed by the Minnesota Catholic Conference.

Does church doctrine make it impossible for same-sex marriage supporters to be true Catholics?

"There is no judgment intended about an individual's 'Catholicity' or 'Catholic-ness,' " says MCC spokeswoman Jessica Zittlow.

Minnesota's November ballot proposal to ban same-sex marriage isn't an amendment against LGBT individuals, say the MCC and the St. Paul and Minneapolis Archdiocese. Instead, they say it should strictly be viewed as an amendment supporting traditional marriage.

For ex-priest Jim Smith, grappling with the issue has been difficult - a personal struggle that extends to the heart of his faith.

The inner conflict between what Smith believes is right and his love for the church has pushed him to consider leaving the Catholic religion altogether.

In the end, Smith vows he will stay. "It's in my bones."

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: 2012 Election • Catholic Church • Christianity • Faith • Minnesota • Politics • Polls • Same-sex marriage

soundoff (2,849 Responses)
  1. Erik

The Creator, Landlord, and King of the universe is running a kingdom, not a democracy. If you can add 2+2+2 and get 6, then you know the rest. Returning to the morality of your great grandparents would be a positive start on the road to getting right with God.

June 20, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
    • God

Erik, I hate you and will kill your firstborn.

June 20, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
    • religion; a way to control the weak minded

"Returning to the morality of your great grandparents would be a positive start on the road to getting right with God."

Oh yeah? Morals like discrimination? Yeah not morals I want.

June 20, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
    • MK

I love when people insist that our grandparents generation was more moral than we are. SO not true.

June 20, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
    • QS

LMFAO!

June 20, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
    • Nikita019

There is actually more discrimination TODAY, than during the time of our grandparents, it's just packaged differently. Time to wake up and smell the coffee...If you think there is less discrimination today.

June 20, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
    • myweightinwords

The morals of my grandparents?

Let's see, my mother's father and mother were never married, and she had a 30+ year affair with a married man after the father of the bulk of her children died (she had another child before they got together, a boy who was taken by the state due to undisclosed reasons). My father's parents were the kind that padlocked the refrigerator and cupboards to keep the children from getting into them, but sat down to giant meals after the kids were in bed.

Every one of them believed folks who weren't white "smelled" funny. Two of them were drunks.

Thank you, but no. I'll take my morality over theirs any day.

June 20, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
    • JWT

Which morality and which god ?

June 20, 2012 at 3:50 pm |
    • Primewonk

Your 1st commandment says I must worship only your god, under penalty of death and eternal torture.

My 1st amendment says I can worship your version of god. Some other version of your god. Completely different gods. Or no gods. Whatever I want.

Guess what? My 1st trumps your 1st. I win. Every freaking time. Every freaking day.

June 20, 2012 at 3:56 pm |
  2. Obamajoe

we have more important things to do than against gay marriage,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

you don't have to support,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just leave them alone,,,,,,,,,,,,they are not that bad,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

good heart ratio among gays ,,,,,,,,won't be lower than "normal " ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

maybe gays have warmer heart,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

June 20, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
  3. Malibu123

I'll be voting YES.

June 20, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
  4. Wade

Being gay is not a sin...please learn the facts!

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRtfeep262E&w=640&h=390]
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9GWYgh8BRA&w=640&h=390]
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfyQoqQT6JM&w=640&h=390]

June 20, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
    • Obamajoe

what is facts???????????

bleach 🙂

June 20, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
  5. Bob Lucas

I am a "true" Catholic married father of 3 who regularly attends Mass, is a Lector, attends a Men's Bible Study Group, and is a member of his Parish Pastoral Council. I support gay marriage. Not one of the 10 Commandments directs that marriage should be between a man and a woman only. If it was important enough, one would. Moreover, Jesus said "Love thy Neighbor as thyself," which is second only to loving God. So why should I support a man-made position of the Church that demonstrates far less love towards gay catholics than straight ones?

June 20, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
    • Alysandir

*applause*

June 20, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
    • Malibu123

I assume you're not serious. You might have to do a little more homework for your Bible study.

June 20, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
    • sam

Thanks Bob!

June 20, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
    • religion; a way to control the weak minded

".So why should I support a man-made position of the Church that demonstrates far less love towards gay catholics than straight ones?"

A better question would be, "why should you support a man-made book of stories"

June 20, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
    • gerald

June 20, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
    • religion; a way to control the weak minded

"God created a man and woman and said the woman was made for the man. He tells them to be fruitful and multiply. Something gays cannot do. Jesus says in the gospels it is not right that a man divorce his wife. He says nothing about a man divorcing his man. I am a Catholic and I read my bible and believe in it. You should start as well."

Too bad god did not write anything in that book you call the bible. MEN wrote that book over a long period of time then other men edited the book to fit their agenda. I am not religious but have studied the bible. Time to start thinking critically and study your religion instead of mindlessly following what men tell you.

June 20, 2012 at 3:54 pm |
    • Veritas

What about the commandment that says: "Thou shall not covet thy neighbours WIFE" Wife is, and always has been,
      the female half of HUSBAND AND WIFE. Therefore the commandment is recognizing that marriage involves one of each gender!

BTW Jesus referred to those who were always in the forefront of church strutting their stuff as "whited sepulchres and clashing cymbals" He prefered the quiet, humble sinner to the Pharisees who bragged about their "goodness" Just saying.

June 20, 2012 at 4:01 pm |
  6. Equality

Sure. There is nothing in the Bible that defines marriage as between "a man and a woman", that has been created by the Church Leaders and should now be questioned. True Catholics may save Catholicism and follow Jesus' teaching not Church Doctrine.

June 20, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
    • Veritas

I'll repeat what I said above. The Bible DID mention marriage in the 10 Commandments. "Thou shall not covet thy neighbours wife"
      Wife does, and always has, referred to the FEMALE half of Husband and wife. Husband being the male counterpart.

June 20, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
  7. J North

I'm not sure many catholics "support" gay marriage as much as they are against the government prohibiting it. I personally don't believe in gay marriage but believe it's a religious issue and not a question for the government.

June 20, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
    • Veritas

Excellent. It is a religious matter.

The Liberals want separation of Church and State but they're the ones that flip-flop on the matter when it suits them. Morons!

June 20, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
  8. God

Dear Catholics:

God here. I don't normally post on the CNN Belief Blog, but there are a few points I want to make.

First, I do not exist. The concept of a 13,700,00,000 year old being, capable of creating the entire Universe and its billions of galaxies, monitoring simultaneously the thoughts and actions of the 7 billion human beings on this planet is ludicrous.

Second, if I did, I would have left you a book a little more consistent, timeless and independently verifiable than the collection of Iron Age Middle Eastern mythology you call the Bible. Hell, I bet you cannot tell me one thing about any of its authors or how and why it was edited over the Centuries, yet you cite them for the most extraordinary of claims.

Thirdly, when I sent my “son” (whatever that means, given that I am god and do not mate) to Earth, he would have visited the Chinese, Ja.panese, Europeans, Russians, sub-Saharan Africans, Australian Aboriginals, Mongolians, Polynesians, Micronesians, Indonesians and native Americans, not just a few Jews. He would also have exhibited a knowledge of something outside of the Iron Age Middle East.

Fourthly, I would not spend my time hiding, refusing to give any tangible evidence of my existence, and then punish those who are smart enough to draw the natural conclusion that I do not exist by burning them forever. That would make no sense to me, given that I am the one who elected to withhold all evidence of my existence in the first place.

Fifthly, in the same vein, I would not make about 5% of the human population gay, then punish them for being that way. In fact, I wouldn’t care about how humans have $ex at all, given that I created all of the millions of millions of species on the planet, all of whom are furiously reproducing all the time. Human $ex would be of no interest to me, given that I can create Universes. Has it ever occurred to you that your obsession with making rules around human $ex is an entirely human affair?

Sixth, I would have smited all traditional Catholics, (and evangelicals and fundamentalists) long before this. You people drive me nuts. You are so small minded and yet you speak with such false authority. Many of you still believe in the talking snake nonsense from Genesis. I would kill all of you for that alone and burn you for an afternoon (burning forever is way too barbaric even for me to contemplate).

Seventh, the whole idea of members of one species on one planet surviving their own physical deaths to “be with me” is utter, mind-numbing nonsense. Grow up. You will die. Get over it. I did. Hell, at least you had a life. I never even existed in the first place.

Eighth, I do not read your minds, or “hear your prayers” as you euphemistically call it. There are 7 billion of you. Even if only 10% prayed once a day, that is 700,000,000 prayers. This works out at 8,000 prayers a second – every second of every day. Meanwhile I have to process the 100,000 of you who die every day between heaven and hell. Dwell on the sheer absurdity of that for a moment.

Ninthly, had I existed, do you really think my representation on Earth would have such a history of corruption, retardation of science, financial misdeeds, political intrigue, outright criminal behavior and $exual misconduct, including pedophilia, as the Vatican does. I mean, come on! As a CEO, I would be fired for allowing my organization to run amok century after century.

Finally, the only reason you even consider believing in me is because of where you were born. Had you been born in India, you would likely believe in the Hindu gods, if born in Tibet, you would be a Buddhist. Every culture that has ever existed has had its own god(s) and they always seem to favor that particular culture, its hopes, dreams and prejudices. What, do you think we all exist? If not, why only yours?

Look, let’s be honest with ourselves. There is no god. Believing in me was fine when you thought the World was young, flat and simple. Now we know how enormous, old and complex the Universe is.

Move on – get over me. I did.

God

June 20, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
    • J

You're not God.

June 20, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • Scott Pilgrim

Wow, what a clever little boy you are, making such a long and humorous post. Is high school out for the summer? You're just such an open-minded individual, mocking others for their belief.

June 20, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
    • God

I knew you were going to say that.

June 20, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
    • humberto

Thats another reason not to let them in your house.

June 20, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
    • sam

J has a fine grasp of the obvious. Congrats, J. I was almost fooled for a moment.

June 20, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
    • God

Scott, you little sh.it. Either point out what I got wrong or shut up. If you make such a useless post again, I will cover you in boils and sodomi.ze you.

June 20, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
    • religion; a way to control the weak minded

"You're just such an open-minded individual, mocking others for their belief."

and you are a closed minded bigot who mocks other beliefs...

June 20, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
    • Scott Pilgrim

That's just precious. First you say you don't exist, then you make threats. Do you parents know you're using the computer?

June 20, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
    • Talking Snake

//You're just such an open-minded individual, mocking others for their belief.//

Beliefs don't deserve respect simply for being beliefs.

June 20, 2012 at 3:54 pm |
    • J

I knew that sam

June 20, 2012 at 4:01 pm |
  9. MK

It really doesn't matter what Catholics think of gay marriage since a marriage is a legal contract. A church wedding means nothing.

June 20, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
  10. Geoffrey

Um... the archdiocese should pull out a dictionary and read what "catholic" means (from the New Oxford American Dictionary, 3rd Edition):

catholic |ˈkaTH(ə)lik| adjective
    1 (esp. of a person's tastes) including a wide variety of things; all-embracing.

I'm sorry, but the church does not have an exclusive trademark on the word "catholic" and they "do not have any right" to tell any organization what they can call themselves.

June 20, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
    • Josh

Are you insane?

June 20, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
    • Veritas

According to the Oxford English dictionary, the word Catholic means Universal. The Catholic Church IS universal so it IS indeed Catholic. Got it, Muppet?

June 20, 2012 at 4:13 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

"catholic" does not mean the same thing as "Catholic" in "Catholic Church, Veritas.

June 20, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
    • Veritas

Oh Geoffrey – before you start spluttering into your latte that Russia and China aren't Catholic, I'd like to point out that neither of them ever SUCCEEEDED in wiping out Catholicism. It went underground and is still practised in defiance of the godless.ersecution has always resulted in strengthening the Faith.

June 20, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
  11. mandarax

If the doctrine of your religion forbids you to do what you know to be morally right, perhaps it is time to reconsider your religion rather than trying to accommodate it.

June 20, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
    • QS

Well said, thanks!

June 20, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
  12. gerald

Obviously CCN would like the answer to be yes. But it is no.

June 20, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Because you speak for the entire Church?

How is it you have to do it on an anonymous board?

June 20, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
    • Tom, Tom the Piper's Father

And y©u tom tom speak for all atheist?

How is it y©u have to do it on an anonymous board y©urself?

Hypocrite are y©u!

June 20, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What's the matter, mema? Did your other screen name get blocked? Still typing on that nursing home computer?

June 20, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
  13. Kismet

I take issue with the implication that there is such a thing as a "true Catholic". No matter what an individual believes, only God can judge whether they're a "true Catholic" or not. Catholics might be better served by following the biblical mandate "Do not judge, or you too will be judged." (Matthew 7:1)

June 20, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
    • gerald

You would be better served not trying to interpret what Christ said. We do not judge the eternal desitiny of the infividual. We are however called to judge right and wrong. Gay marriage is wrong. Sorry.

June 20, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You're not qualified to decide or judge anything other than the pickled cabbage at the local fair, gerald.

June 20, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
    • Madtown

gerald
      We are however called to judge right and wrong. Gay marriage is wrong. Sorry.
      ------
      LOL!!!! You should seriously be a comedian. Now, you're "called" upon to judge the rest of humanity? By whom are you called? No......you don't consider yourself special at all.

June 20, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • religion; a way to control the weak minded

"We are however called to judge right and wrong. Gay marriage is wrong. Sorry."

according to who? Indoctrinating little children then ra...ping them is also wrong, yet you have no issue with that?

June 20, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
  14. QS

It's all about appearances....personally I don't even think a majority of religious people believe what their religion teaches, they only pretend to believe out of obligation because they fear the backlash from their religious community were they to come out as a non-believer....may as well come out as gay!

June 20, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
    • gerald

Ah now there is arrogance. Telling others what they believe. Bravo.

June 20, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
    • MK

More like they stay in the religion because they're taught that if they don't, they'll go to hell. It's the fear-factor that keeps them coming back.

June 20, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

pot, meet gerald.

June 20, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
    • QS

Not arrogance, just a rational conclusion based on direct observation and deductive reasoning.

June 20, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
  15. idunno

Believe what you want. How does other peoples business affect you? It's like abortion, EVERYONE has an opinion but 99% of people have never been faced with making a decision on abortion. Everyone has an opinion on gay marriage, but I bet the majority of people don't even know any gay people.

So leave it to people who never have to deal with these issues to decide how these issues should be governed... That makes sense

June 20, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
    • idunno

Traditional marriage. If we kept everything traditional 13 year old girls would still be given away to 40 year old men for 2 goats and some land. People would still be settling their differences by dueling.

June 20, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • Vesel Dimanaj

Actually, something like 25-28% of U.S. women have had abortions, which works out to 12-14% of Americans who have faced the question of abortion and chosen to abort. The statistic does not include women who thought about getting abortions and then did not.

June 20, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
  16. Obamajoe

No Catholic is perfect,,,,,,,,,,,otherwise your GOD

,,,,,,and gay is not the worst thing in this world,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

June 20, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
  17. liz48

Who is running the poll? how was it conducted....I am very skeptical about these polls....I was not eligible to vote and was getting polls from a particular political party, as though I was. It may have been because I joined an organization that was affiliated with that party...

June 20, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
  18. Tony, Boise ID

My Catholic grandmother used to say, "I'll believe what I can, and God's just going to have to forgive me if I don't believe the rest of it." Makes sense to me.

June 20, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
    • Nikita019

Wise grandmother...leaving it up to God!

June 20, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
    • humberto

You still believe in a coeeupt Congress, no one is forgiving you for that .

June 20, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
    • truth

Where is your grandmother now?? It doesnt matter what she sincereley believed in if she was wrong about Jedus Christ.

June 20, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
    • EnjaySea

My point of view is very close to your Grandmother, even though I'm an atheist/agnostic. I also believe what I can, and feel that if there is a god and it's important to him, for some reason, that I believe he exists, then he knows what to do.

I've tried to reach him all my life - no answer. The ball is in his court. In the meantime, I withhold my belief.

June 20, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
    • sam

@truth – you need to stop putting your faith in Jedus. That's where you've gone wrong. Jesus is going to be upset if you don't stop.

June 20, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
  19. truth

religion is like an ant trying to understand human beings....The finite mind will NEVER understand the Infinite God. Salvation is God saving human sinners.
    Religion is like a square log with the heart crooked. Salvation is getting new heart even if the outside is not perfectly squared.

June 20, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
    • humberto

thats what Congress wants us to believe about their Investments.

June 20, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
    • sam

Seems legit.

Now you'll have to excuse me, there's a creepy guy in the parking lot in a dark van offering me candy if I'll take a ride with him.

June 20, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
  20. hopeandcringe

does Obama truely support gay marriage, or is he just trolling for votes? that's the question

June 20, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
    • tcher

Actually that's not the question. This article is not about Obama, sorry.

June 20, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
    • Obamajoe

EVEN trolling for votes is good !!!!!!!!!

June 20, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
    • J North

The article may not be about Obama but the issue sure is tied to him. I find it interesting that the politicians on both sides continue to divide everyone on the social issues hoping we won't notice all the crap they continue to pull.

June 20, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • Veritas

Funny how the terminally befuddled Dem supporters want to separate Church and State! But they want their head of state to interfere with the Church – but the Church MUSN'T defend its position? Yeah right!

How come all these liberal twerps have the intellectual capacity of a dandelion?

June 20, 2012 at 4:21 pm |