home
RSS
No verdict in Philadelphia priest sex abuse trial, source says
Monsignor William Lynn faces accusations that he failed to keep priests accused of sexual abuse away from minors.
June 20th, 2012

No verdict in Philadelphia priest sex abuse trial, source says

By the CNN Wire Staff

(CNN) - A Philadelphia jury was unable to reach a verdict Wednesday on four of five charges in a landmark priest sex abuse case, according to a source familiar with the proceeding.

There appear to be two holdouts, and the judge has ordered jurors to keep deliberating, the source said. It is not clear which charges could not be agreed upon.

Common Pleas Court Judge M. Teresa Sarmina said the panel says it has developed "firm, fixed opinions" and "entrenched positions," rendering it unable to return a verdict after 12 days of deliberations.

Monsignor William Lynn is considered the first high-ranking church official to be charged in the three-month-long trial.

FULL STORY
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Catholic Church • Pennsylvania • Sex abuse

1. Abdullah

i was never a daddy's girl, not even a favorite child. i am the elesdt. sad thing is, i grew up knowing that our dad loved my two other siblings more than he loved me. and not once did he try to hide it. i never understood it as i was growing up. maybe there are things better left unanswered, and this is one of them. fortunately for me, instead of taking this bitter fact of my life against my dad by being an unruly child, i took it as a challenge. i told myself that if he had to notice me, it was because i had been a good daughter and nothing else. so i studied very well and earned honors and accolades in gradeschool. when he started noticing me for the awards i earned, he promised that should i ever become a 1st honor in class, he would take me to disneyland! of course i was thrilled. at last, my daddy noticed me. unfortunately, he suddenly died before i graduated from gradeschool; before he could even receive my 1st honor certificate. and he took his promise with him.but his death didn't stop me from continuing with my promise. i studing very well so i could continue to give honor to his name. i graduated as our highschool batch's salutatorian. passed UP's rigorous exam and eventually graduated with a degree in architecture. after a year, i passed my licensure exam. i was happy. for me, all those achievements were my gifts to my dad. he may not be with us, but i feel it in my heart that i have made him proud.now, i have a promising career and a family of my own. and one day, i will set foot on disney soil. wherever he is right now, i want him to know that i am happy God gave him to me as my dad, even for only 12 years. i may not have understood him then, but i want him to know how much i love him. daddy, i know i have made you proud. i miss you.

August 1, 2012 at 12:28 am |
  2. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things

June 21, 2012 at 8:51 pm |
    • Jesus

Prayer doesn’t not; you are such a LIAR. You have NO proof it changes anything! A great example of prayer proven not to work is the Christians in jail because prayer didn't work and their children died. For example: Susan Grady, who relied on prayer to heal her son. Nine-year-old Aaron Grady died and Susan Grady was arrested.

June 22, 2012 at 11:33 am |
  3. kindness

This is my experience... Thank you.

MY personal testimony.
    A thought to consider without an ego response

Accept Jesus christ as your lord and saviour. You never know how soon is too late. Transcend the worldly illusion of enslavement.
    The world denounces truth....

Accepting Jesus Christ (for me) resulted in something like seeng a new colour. You will see it .....but will not be able to clearly explain it to anyone else..... Its meant to be that way to transend any selfism within you.

Also... much the world arranges "surrounding dark matter into something to be debated" in such a way that protects/inflates the ego.

The key is be present and transcend our own desire to physically see evidence. We don't know anyways by defending our own perception of dark matter.

Currently.... most of us are constructing our own path that suits our sin lifestyle. Were all sinners. Knowing that we are is often an issue. But both christians and non are sinners.

We don't like to Let go and let god. We want control to some degree. This is what Jesus asks us to do. "Follow me".
    It's the hardest thing to do... but is done by letting the truth of scripture lead you (redemptive revelation)... as I said .

Try reading corinthians and see if it makes sense to you. Try it without a pre conceived notion of it being a fairy tale.
    See the truth...
    do we do what it says in todays society... is it relevant... so many have not recently read and only hinge their philosophy on what they have heard from som other person...which may have been full of arogance pride or vanity..

Look closely at the economy ponzi, look at how society idolizes Lust , greed , envy, sloth, pride of life, desire for knowledge, desire for power, desire for revencge,gluttony with food etc .

Trancsend the temporal world.

Just think if you can find any truth you can take with you ....in any of these things. When you die your riches go to someone who will spend away your life..... You will be forgotten.... history will repeat iteslf.... the greatest minds knowledge fade or are eventually plagerzed..... your good deeds will be forgotten and only give you a fleeting temporary reward . your learned teachings are forgotten or mutated..... your gold is transfered back to the rullers that rule you through deception. Your grave will grow over . This is truth .

Trancsend your egoism and free yourself from this dominion of satan. Understand you are a sinner and part of the collective problem of this worldly matrix... Repent.... Repent means knowing (to change) The Holy spirit (within) will convict you beyond what you think you can do by yourself. Grace is given to those who renounce the world. That are" in" the world but not "of " the world.

Evidence follows faith. Faith does not follow evidence..... Faith above reason in Jesus Christ.

Faith comes by Reading or Hearing the word of god from the bible . Ask Jesus in faith for dicernment and start reading the new testament... You will be shocked when you lay down your preconceived notions and ....see and hear truth ... see how christ sets an example ... feel the truth....

Read Ecclesiastes. Read corinthians.

You cant trancend your own egoism by adapting a world philosophy to suit your needs. Seek the truth in Christ.

Sell all your cleverness and purchase true bewilderment. You don't get what you want ....you get what you are in christ.

I promise this has been the truth for me. In Jesus christ .

Think of what you really have to lose. ...your ego?

Break the Matrix of illusion that holds your senses captive.

once you do . you too will have the wisdom of God that comes only through the Holy Spirit. Saved By grace through Faith. Just like seeing a new colour.... can't explain it to a transient caught in the matrix of worldly deception.
    You will also see how the world suppresses this information and distorts it

You're all smart people . I tell the truth. Its hard to think out of the box when earthly thinking is the box.
    I'ts a personal free experience you can do it free anytime . Don't wait till you are about to die.. START PUTTING YOUR TREASURES WHERE THEY REALLY MATTER >
    Its awsome and It's just between you and Jesus

my testimony

Romans 10:9

"If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved

June 21, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
    • TROLL ALERT

click the report abuse link to get rid of this TROLL and garbage.

June 21, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
    • HotAirAce

You are delusional with no factual basis for your cult's beliefs. Fuck Off!

June 21, 2012 at 10:11 pm |
  4. Reality

The verdict is already in and has been for many years with the following summary:

The "vomit-inducing" ped-ophilia and coverup will simply hasten the decline of all religions as they finally go extinct from their own absurdity.. It is time to replace all religions with a few rules like "Do No Harm" and convert all houses of "worthless worship" to recreation facilities and parks.

June 21, 2012 at 8:35 am |
    • Juaan

Thanks for that.Yeah, I plan on using a different test file with the full range of ASCII chars. The plebrom right now is that I'm really only seeing a limited number of sectors, when I should be seeing many more given the overall size of the sample. I'm seeing something (10) sectors (most with invalid data) per 100kb-200kb of raw MFM data. This should be MUCH higher and you can tell by looking at the valid sector numbers that DO decode that I'm dropping all sorts of sectors. Also I'd have to add a little code anyways to pretty-up a hex output vs just dumping the raw ASCII to the screen the way I am now.This is mostly related to not seeing the SYNC's. If I don't see the sync, then I don't try to decode the sector header, because I don't really know where the sector decoding process should really start.So I really have to focus on why I'm not seeing the SYNC's, and try to improve that, and then worry about the DATA later.Now don't get me wrong, I'm pretty excited about seeing the valid data!And maybe by using a better test file, I might be able to determine WHY the SYNC's are not being read properly. Is this the path you were going down?Oh and the 3rd bit thing No idea why that's happening as it is. My code doesn't treat any particular bit differently than any other one. Now what IS different, is that every 8th bit, the main routine puts the byte on the PC's port, clears the storage, and starts again.Which reminds me, perhaps an interrupt occurs when main is right before the clearing of the number of stored bits. That would cause the last bit written by the ISR to be dropped . Hrrmmmmm .

October 8, 2012 at 12:00 am |
  5. HotAirAce

Hopefully they are stuck on how the castrations should be conducted – with or without anesthesia, dull or sharp knife, by a doctor or one of their victims, etc?

June 21, 2012 at 1:05 am |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

Rusty tin lid; vice grips...no anesthetic allowed-that would be too good for them and a waste of valuable anesthetic

June 21, 2012 at 9:48 am |
    • Udo

The image you've used is a powerful one and this is such an imoratpnt issue. Thank you for highlighting it. Let us all be attuned to child abuse no matter what form it takes and wherever we may find ourselves. Blessings.

September 6, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
  6. howart Dao

Lucifer protects his owns.

June 20, 2012 at 11:03 pm |
  7. Bootyfunk

would anyone these days leave their children alone with a man wearing a white collar?

June 20, 2012 at 9:21 pm |
  8. hippypoet

Awakened Desire

I dream of a night where i can blink eye and put out the light.
    It's obvious to me now to get to sleep is held by slits allow.
    When it came time for shut-eye and goodbye.
    My spirit was set free for great depravity.
    I bit my lip and clenched my fist,
    But these tainted desires, these thoughts persist.
    At the reach of each arm lay a tangible temptation.
    Through the act of sin i find i love this abomination.
    I caress her legs and run my fingers down her skin.
    The warmth of her body, like a blanket I wrap myself in.
    I @ssume her throne and bathe in her power.
    I rock her earth and debase her flower.
    Shy the sigh and give to scream instead.
    Don't hold back, Lay with three in the artists bed.
    One for me and one for you,
    Lets find out what an extra four lips can do.
    You have your toy and I have mine.
    How fast can you make those eyes shine?
    I make you my own and show you my cure.
    You'll never walk right again, that you can be sure.
    So I pull out and set my loin free.
    I see in friends eye desire my specter be.
    She charges hell's inferno and makes me her own.
    But little does this wretch know there is no room for her on my throne.
    Know if others fire burns in my eye, there will be no sleep for me.
    For I find I have a grave gift of deplorable debauchery.

June 20, 2012 at 9:00 pm |
  9. Lisaburgess

Top Ten Signs You're a Christian
    10 – You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours.
    9 – You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.
    8 – You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem believing in a Triune God.
    7 – Your face turns purple when you hear of the "atrocities" attributed to Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" including women, children, and trees!
    6 – You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.
    5 – You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.
    4 – You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs – though excluding those in all rival sects – will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."
    3 – While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity.
    2 – You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.
    1 – You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history – but still call yourself a Christian.

June 20, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

LOL, so very true.

June 20, 2012 at 9:22 pm |
    • Derp

Top Ten Signs You're an Atheist
      10. You vigorously deny the existence of God, yet you frequently blame Him for all the "evils" in the world, all the natural disasters, and everything else under the sun that is wrong in modern society.

9. You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when creationists say that people were created in the image and likeness of God, but you have no problem with the evolutionist claim that we all evolved from slime by a cosmic accident.

8. You criticize fundamental Christians who believe the Bible, and say that it can't possibly be true because it's just a book written by mere men, yet you never question any of Darwin's writings or Richard Dawkins' books.

7. You can't seem to understand the primary differences between fundamental Muslims and fundamental Christians (hint: strap-on TNT. Plus – Muhammad says, “kill innocent people and yourself if you love me.” Jesus Christ said, “I’ll die for you because I love you”).

6. You say the Bible is full of fairytales and fables, yet you believe all life forms including plants, trees, insects, birds, fish, reptiles and mammals evolved from one species into another – As if evolution isn’t the biggest fairytale of them all.

5. You laugh at the Supernatural, even though scientists have calculated the odds of life forming by natural processes to be estimated less than 1 chance in 10 to the 40,ooo power – But you find nothing wrong with believing that billions of years full of random mutations would result in the impossible.

4. You accuse fundamental Christians of being intolerant, judgmental and hateful, while you foam at the mouth calling them freaking lunatics, ignorant, weak-minded, stupid fundies, and hateful bigots.

3. You ignore scientific concepts like cause and effect, and you don't realize that a closed system can be defined however the observer wants, so you throw out technological phrases to try to ignore the implications of thermodynamics by saying the laws of physics are not set in stone.

2. While all evidence, logic and reasoning point to a Creator and absolute truth, you prefer to hide behind relativism and a theory of evolution which does not, in fact, describe the creation of the universe at all, or why concepts of good and evil or morality exist.

1. *Atheism fails to adequately explain the existence of eternal, unchanging truths, for it rejects the existence of an eternal unchanging mind. Atheism cannot offer man any eternal significance whatsoever. Temporary meaning in life is insufficient, for our accomplishments die with the death of the universe - there is no ultimate purpose in a universe void of God.

June 21, 2012 at 9:04 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

While all evidence, logic and reasoning point to a Creator and absolute truth,

-------–

Ahahhahhhaha! Nope. There is no logic or reason involved in your beliefs.

And "evidence"? What evidence? You nut-jobs haven't produced anything of the kind. Going to start now?

June 21, 2012 at 9:07 am |
    • Really-O?

@Derp –

Head-to-head with Lisaburgess – you lose.

June 21, 2012 at 9:28 am |
    • Jennifer

They must think we're stupid. I seem to reclal a Republican running an ad where "bureaucrat" was morphed into "rat." There was an outcry. I guess it's only OK when the left does it.

November 9, 2012 at 12:55 am |
  10. Father Chester Fondlebum

Gosh, do you think that there just happens to be two Catholics who are refusing to consider the evidence and their duties under the law, and instead are stonewalling the trial?

June 20, 2012 at 5:51 pm |
    • mickey1313

Bingo, that what all Christians do, deny the evidence and believe in fairy tales

June 21, 2012 at 2:36 am |
    • JellyBean

Yup, you got that right.

June 21, 2012 at 7:46 am |
  11. junior

SNAC, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Coaches,
    SNAT, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Teachers,
    SNAM, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Mothers,
    SNAF, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Fathers
    SNAR, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Relatives

June 20, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
    • HeavenSent

ya fergot da phone numbers there, junior

June 20, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
    • HotAirAce

And the abuse by others somehow excuses abuse by priests and the systemic cover up by church charlatans, sorry, leaders?

June 21, 2012 at 2:39 am |
    • junior

Looks like membership in Penn State Football is the only acceptable excuse to exonerate perpetrators.

June 21, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
    • Breanna

I was not really close to my faehtr, In fact I had this biggest “tampo” from him because he would not acknowledge my achievement. He will get angry with me if I didn’t get to be the top in the class. I was always on the top ten students of my batch, but I never got that top spot. I was contented with what I achieved but he is not. I guess he always have that high expectations from me.When my faehtr bought us our family van, he asked me to enroll in a driving school. My faehtr doesn't know how to drive, and didn’t bothered learning. So I was the one who was always on the wheel, when running errand for the family. And I was also his personal driver. That became our bonding moment. During those times that I drive for him, I learn many things about my faehtr that I didn’t know when I was younger. We talked about many things during those long drives. And I being more matured that time, that’s when I understand where he is coming from. The way he gets angry with me everytime I didn’t reach the top. He wants me to be the best, and he believes I can do it.One time, during one of our drives, he told me he would buy me a car if I pass the board exam, I was already in college then taking up accountancy. But two years before my graduation, he was stricken with a disease, and he left us forever. After passing the board exam, I was sad not because there wouldn’t be a new car waiting for me in the garage, but because I wouldn’t be able to share my greatest achievement with him. No, I didn’t top the board, but I know he is proud of me.And yes, I still drive that van. It’s getting old and rusty, but I never thought of selling it. It’s my faehtr’s legacy to us. I miss the long drive, I miss the conversations, but most of all I miss the man in my passenger seat.Happy Father’s Day Papa! We will always miss you!

August 1, 2012 at 12:54 am |
  12. snapjudy

The judge denied a mistrial, and she told the jurors to keep trying, so it is not over yet..
    We hope victims and their loved ones remain calm and hopeful and that no matter when or how this trial is resolved, know that your voices are strong and they are being heard.

Judy Jones, SNAP Midwest Associate Director, USA, 636-433-2511.,
    (SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests,)

June 20, 2012 at 2:53 pm |
    • Noah

Jitu Patel Posted on Paulo,This is very good. You are supplying this inimooatfrn to everyone for free. I hope more people will follow your site and get advantage of it.Jitu

July 29, 2012 at 9:05 pm |