home
RSS
June 22nd, 2012

Prominent atheist blogger converts to Catholicism

By Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) – She went from atheist to Catholic in just over 1,000 words.

CNN's Belief Blog: the faith angles behind the big stories

Libresco’s announcement has left some atheists scratching their heads.

But while atheists were puzzled by the conversion, others commended Libresco.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

Libresco is just switching the side she thinks the facts are on.

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism • Catholic Church

soundoff (7,475 Responses)
  1. Scott

I am an atheist but tolerant of other beliefs.

That said, I am more impressed with someone who comes to Christianity after thinking it through as opposed to the bulk who come to it through what amounts to gentle indoctrination.

June 22, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Try to figure it out, Tophie.

June 22, 2012 at 12:40 pm |

Oops. Wrong place.

June 22, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
    • Christine

I'm still on the fence as to what I believe, but I agree with you; she thought this through and came to a decision. I think its extremely sad that many "Christians" only believe (or pretend to) because they are afraid of the consequences (should there be any). I sure don't want to believe just because I'm scared into it.

June 22, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
    • GrendelPrime

If the people who 'have faith' that there is no god(s) are called 'athiests', What do you call people who 'have faith' there is no Toothfairy, no Lepricans, no Unicorns, no Santa Claus and no imaginary friends? Adults.

June 22, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
    • da_soji1

So people who are born into the Christian faith don't think things through?? Please.

June 22, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
    • OTC

To the Atheists,

One thing for sure, we all will face death. You better hope the belief in non-belief is accurate. The consequence
      is eternal, if your theory's are wrong. As for evidence in the Bible, Romans 1 says that God has planted evidence of Himself throughout His creation so we are without excuse. You are surrounded by evidence, so continue to put your faith in sciences, it will always fail you.

June 22, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
    • dawn

I understand what you are saying. Hone in however on the verse: Romans 10:17 – Faith Comes By Hearing the Word of God

I really think this is true.

June 22, 2012 at 2:58 pm |
    • CNNuthin

If you are unsure, why worry about it? You have morals. You have laws. You know how to behave and how you'd like to be treated. That should be enough for you and whatever there is beyond this life. Any restrictions and requirements listed in scripture were written centuries ago and have been translated so many times that it has become a game of telephone. Treat others well and just make it through this life trying to be as happy as you can without causing unnecessary unhappiness to others. Eat right. Get a little jogging in once in a while. Catch a movie. Go on a date. Enjoy this life and don't worry too much about the possibility of a next one.

June 22, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
    • Zeke2112

OTC, shouldn't you be out brushing up on your Judaism and Islam? After all,

"You better hope the belief in non-belief is accurate."

That also means that you better hope your belief is accurate.

June 22, 2012 at 3:54 pm |
    • Krug Lamner

We are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours

June 22, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
    • Brad

Dawn – In response to your reference to Romans 10:17,

Read on to verse 18 "But I ask, have the people of Israel actually heard the message? Yes, they have: "The message has gone throughout the Earth, and the words to all the world."

"Yes, they have" Paul quotes Psalms 19:4 to show that the message of the Good News was universally available through creation. and by the time Paul wrote Romans, early Christian missionaries had spread the Good News through most of the Roman empire. Most Jews would have had ample opportunity to hear the message.

We should continue to spread the Good News as Christians, but remember that we all have the light of God inside of us. The question is whether we decide to stay in the dark or respond to the light. It is absolutely our choice as human beings.

June 22, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
    • jan

da_soji1: Scott never said all people born into Christianity don't think things through. He referred specifically to the people who don't think about it and only hold a belief because it's what they've been told. Yes, those people do exist. Best way to filter them out is ask them how they came to their religious beliefs. If the answer is "that's how I was raised" or something similar then no that person hasn't put any thought into it and is just a parrot for what others have told him.

To be clear, this applies to atheist and people who practice religions other than Christianity. Christians aren't the only ones who can be guilty of not putting any thought into their beliefs.

June 23, 2012 at 12:49 am |
    • AirUpThere

Why be tolerant to other peoples beliefs when those beliefs might be wrong. We should not ignore facts for the sake of political correctness. There are right and wrong answers.

June 23, 2012 at 1:04 am |
    • To all the Sheep.

Can we stop for a moment of Science Please!

June 23, 2012 at 6:03 am |
    • particlemaster

You know Scott, I was raised baptist, but by high school i was pretty much agnostic. I always felt that there was more to the world that we can never understand but didn't know what. I believe, and i will raise my kids on this idea, that it is up to you find the "truth" in this world. if you have good reasons to believe in what you think is right, then who am i to argue with you?

June 24, 2012 at 2:50 am |
  2. bla

Someone else mentioned she called atheism a "faith". She never understood what atheism actually was in the first place!

June 22, 2012 at 12:30 pm |
    • Topher

I know what you are saying, but I lot of people use that phrase with atheists because you have a "faith" that there is no god.

June 22, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

There is a difference between having faith that there is no god and not believing that there is a god.

June 22, 2012 at 12:35 pm |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

No Topher, there is no faith in disbelief...faith is believing without evidence. We simply state that given that we do not see the evidence to support god, we can't not lie to ourselves and say there is one. However any honest Atheist will be agnostic....basically I don't see the evidence, therefore I don't believe; however I can't be 100% sure. It all comes down to the burden of proof-I can't disprove god but you can't prove god either.

June 22, 2012 at 12:37 pm |

What difference is that?

June 22, 2012 at 12:38 pm |

Figure it out, Tophie.

June 22, 2012 at 12:41 pm |

TruthPrevails 🙂

You're right about the difference in atheist and agnostic. The problem is getting most to admit which they really are. But then I'd say it takes more "faith" to be an atheist.

June 22, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
    • FrayedJeff

Topher,

Is "not" collecting stamps a hobby? No it isn't. So how is not having faith in a deity faith?

Thank you, that will be all for now.

June 22, 2012 at 12:44 pm |

FrayedJeff

Because despite the available evidence (I'm not saying proof) you have "faith" there is no God.

June 22, 2012 at 12:50 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Good grief. Why do you obsess about semantics? You want to call it a 'faith'? What difference does it make?

June 22, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
    • cedar rapids

"But then I'd say it takes more "faith" to be an atheist."

never understood that argument. On one side you have a world described by science that is determined by repeatable experiments and observation of the world around us, and the other side you have an idea of a supernatural all powerful being casting spells and using magic, who decided at some point to create a system which is amazingly flawed and involves supposedly a combination of love and ultimate condemnation, whereby the whole point to your life is to determine where you go when you die, for some as yet undetermined purpose.

And apparently it takes more faith to not believe in a god? bizarre, truly bizarre.

June 22, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
    • FrayedJeff

Topher,

I'm an Atheist and I'm telling you right now. There is no "faith" in Atheism, we trust only facts. Why have faith when you have facts?

June 22, 2012 at 1:09 pm |
    • Topher

First of all, science doesn't say anything, scientists do. Second, you either don't understand Christianity or you're just being a jerk. We don't believe in magic, so stop saying we do. You also state the "system is flawed." What is flawed about it?

There's actually TONS of evidence for Christianity to be true. You either don't know about it or you reject it. You can disbelieve, that's fine. But because there is evidence, you'll be rejecting it on faith.

June 22, 2012 at 1:12 pm |
    • FrayedJeff

Topher,

I've been looking for "TONS of evidence for Christianity" for over 30 years now. Please do tell of these "TONS" you speak of.

June 22, 2012 at 1:26 pm |

FrayedJeff

"There is no "faith" in Atheism, we trust only facts."

You have facts there is no God?

June 22, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Jeff asked you first, Tophie. The burden is not on him to prove something doesn't exist. It is on you to prove something does. That is something anyone who understand debate would know. And you already stated you had "TONS of evidence." Here's you opportunity to post it.

June 22, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
    • Topher

Well, let's start with Einstein's theory of General Relativity. Even Einstein himself said if this is true it would mean the universe has to have a creator. This annoyed him very much because he was a pantheist. A dutch astronomer said that for it to be true we'd have to have a universe that is expanding. This was discovered to be true in 1927 by Edwin Hubble ...

June 22, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
    • OhMyDog

@topher, honestly, you're lost in a circular make belief argument.

June 22, 2012 at 1:54 pm |
    • Scott's Turf Builder

Topher,

I have "faith" that there are wee fairies under my lawn, pushing up each blade of grass. There are bad ones too who propagate the weeds. I don't care how much you tout botany and all that stuff... beneath it all there are fairies.

June 22, 2012 at 1:55 pm |

June 22, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
    • GrendelPrime

Hopefully this ends up in the right place...

June 22, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
    • Topher

C'mon, now, atheists. You can do better than this. You need to be more consistant. You whine and complain that Christians have no scientific evidence to back up our claims, then when you are given some, you whine even more like a shivering little chihuahua. Do you want evidence or not?

June 22, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Where is the proof that the "starting point" was God, Tophie?

You're looking more and more like Chard.

There is no evidence that a supernatural being created anything. None.

There's no 'whining' here. Just a weariness of the same old sh!t on a new dish.

I don't object to your having faith and believing. I do object to your insistence that your beliefs are based on facts.

June 22, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
    • Mike

Athiest – "I don't believe in god."

Agnostic – "I don't believe in god because there is no scientific proof of god. But, because there is also no proof in there not being a god, I also don't believe in god's non-existence. I'm able to admit that there are some things that I will never know."

June 22, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Since thus far, yet again, a believer has claimed to have some sort of evidence based on facts and then proceeds to post the same crap as Chard does on a regular basis, I have no reason to bother reading any further. I've seen every one of these claims before and they are nothing but wishful thinking on the part of believers.

My wishful thinking? That you would all stop lying. Why do you not simply say that you don't know the answers but that you have faith. At least I could respect that. I can't respect willful lies, and I have better things to do than read them.

June 22, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
    • GrendelPrime

@Topher; you do know the big bang theory is only the explanation of matter in the univers, not an explaination of the universe itself. The two things are actually seperate. Look up some M theory and get back to us.

June 22, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
    • FrayedJeff

Topher,

Not all Atheists say there is no god, there is no evidence to show there is a god. Scientists are working to figure out how the whole thing works, but have yet to find evidence for a creator as of yet, so why believe in something that has yet to be proven? The evidence points, (so far), that the earth formed over the course of 4.54 billion years. The evidence does not point towards a god.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. -Carl Sagan

Why would you believe in something extraordinary with no evidence? Because your parents did?

June 22, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
    • Topher

I'm getting there. Right now I'm showing there is evidence for a creator.

First law of thermodynamics says there can only be so much energy for the universe to keep expanding. Second law says that that energy will eventually die out. If the universe has always existed from all eternity, that energy would have died out by now. This is more evidence there was a beginning.The second law also shows why things in nature come to fall apart ... i.e. you get old and die, your car falls apart, etc.

June 22, 2012 at 2:11 pm |

Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Don't run away. I thought you atheists loved science.

I do have faith. Lots of it. But I also have evidence.

June 22, 2012 at 2:13 pm |

GrendelPrime

Actually I'm not a fan of the Big Bang. It doesn't totally line up with scripture. However, some of the science behind it agrees with what the Bible says about our origins.

June 22, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
    • what

Topher,

"If the universe is expanding, it must have had a starting point. The law of causality says everything that has a beginning MUST have a cause."

Having a 'cause' and having a 'creator' are two entirely different things. Thats what people like you do. Wherever science has a question YET to be answered, you insert God. That is not an argument, that is a lack of an arguement.

June 22, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
    • Rundvelt

Topher, nothing you have listed is evidence.

Here's an example of evidence.
      "The bullet bears markings that are exactly the same markings as a bullet that is known to have been fired from this gun. Therefore this bullet was also fired from this gun."

This is not evidence:
      "The universe needs a creator, therefore God."

You need to learn what evidence is, not what you'd like it to be. No one knows how the universe began and therefore the only intellectually honest position we have is "I don't know".

Things may seem to be impossible, but impossible does not mean God. Impossible could also mean "we do not understand why at this moment."

June 22, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
    • Topher

Interesting to note that Robert Jastrow an admitted agnostic and astronomer wrote in his book "God and the Astronomers" ... "Astronomers now find that they have painted themselves into a corner because they have proven, by their own methods, that the world began abruptly in an act of creation to which you can trace the seeds of every star, every planet, every living thing in this cosmos and on the earth. And they have found that all this happened as a product of forces they cannot hope to discover."

"That they are what I or anyone would call supernatural forces at work is now, I think, a scientifically proven fact."

June 22, 2012 at 2:27 pm |
    • FrayedJeff

Topher,

Christians claim is that Jehovah likes this and that, hates this and that. Says there is a place of eternal fire where souls go to burn in agony forever. Where does this stuff come from? Why do we not know Jehovah's favorite color, food, what type of female it likes? What's it's favorite sports team (I guess it's the one that wins right?) car, etc.?

You have yet to show peer reviewed evidence that any of what you said points to a deity.

June 22, 2012 at 2:28 pm |

FrayedJeff

I'm sure you know I'm going to answer where we get all that with "from the Bible." Yeah, I know, you don't believe in it, but that's the answer.

"Why do we not know Jehovah's favorite color, food, what type of female it likes? What's it's favorite sports team (I guess it's the one that wins right?) car, etc.?"

First, I would say because He chose not to reveal those things to us. But second I would say that because He created all the colors, why should he have a favorite? Does He? I don't know. Why does that matter to us?

"People have lost their lives over Jehovah. People have killed themselves over Jehovah, i.e. snake faith handlers, children of parents who refuse to get medical treatment for their ill children, so on and so forth. Christianity has proven to be a very dangerous thing on this planet... And, Jehovah was not the first."

So your argument is that because bad things happen and because there are evil people in the world God can't exist? If anything this supports the claims of the Bible. It says there are none who are good. "No, not one." We live in a fallen world because of sin, so yet, bad things happen.

June 22, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

Such a dehumanizing religion you have Topher. Unfortunately for your world view, there are people seperate from your religion that do enormous good, and people within your religion that do good despite the religion.

June 22, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
    • OTC

To the Atheists,

June 22, 2012 at 2:52 pm |

HawaiiGuest

You make it sound like humanity has a good track record outside of religion, but have you ever read a history book? You atheists are constantly quoting to me about how much death religion has caused. I'm not disagreeing. But it isn't just the religious. We kill each other over any little thing. We kill each other for ideals. For insults. For land. Over women. Over disagreements. When I was in high school, a classmate was killed over a parking space.

June 22, 2012 at 2:52 pm |
    • Topher

Shall we move on to how incredibly fine tuned the universe is? And that if we were some cosmic accident how infinitesimally small our chances were to get to where we are?

June 22, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@Topher

What's your point? You pawn off evil as "oh humans are just naturally evil", and that is dehumanizing. Humans have the capacity for both, and the amount of generally decent people far outweigh those who kill indiscriminately.

June 22, 2012 at 2:58 pm |
    • FrayedJeff

That was the exact answer I wanted from you Topher. A book written by Hebrews for Hebrews.

OTC,

I'm not worried one iota. You're the one who's worried. Your fear is showing.

June 22, 2012 at 2:59 pm |

HawaiiGuest

By what standard?

June 22, 2012 at 3:00 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

Fine tuned? Sure, why not. Make your case all hinged upon the begging the question fallacy.

June 22, 2012 at 3:00 pm |
    • Topher

The Earth's axial tilt (23 degrees) is just right. If it were off just a little bit surface temperatures would be too severe to support life. ...

June 22, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@Topher

What standard? Whichever standard each person adopts. Morals are partly taught (either cultural, peers, parents, etc.), and partly gotten through internal analysis.

June 22, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
    • Topher

If the planet's rotation took longer than 24 hours, temp differences would be too great between night and day and if shorter, wind velocities would be too great ...

June 22, 2012 at 3:05 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

The earth wobbles on its axis all the time.

June 22, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@Topher

Maybe you should put all your arguments into one.

June 22, 2012 at 3:06 pm |

HawaiiGuest

Ah, so we each get to set the standard? So it's just my opinion? So if my opinion is that it's ok to torture babies for fun you can't say anything about it?

June 22, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Topher, you have the fine tuning thing exactly backwards. There is no evidence that the universe, or even our small corner of it, was fine tuned for life, or that there was or is a "fine tuner." The theory is that life as we know it was able to develop in the conditions present at the time and has evolved since then. There very well may be forms of live completely different than us in other parts of the universe that were able to develop in the, probably different, conditions there.

To believe that some supernatural being waved a magic wand and created the Earth and life on it as described in The Babble, without any other evidence, is just delusional lunacy.

June 22, 2012 at 3:16 pm |

HawaiiGuest

"Maybe you should put all your arguments into one."

There's too much for me to sit and type out all of my arguments and you wouldn't take the time to sit and read them all anyway. But that's my point. I can go on and on and on with evidence that supports the Bible. This takes us back to the beginning of this posting ... it takes MORE faith to believe there isn't an intelligent designer than it does to believe the Bible.

June 22, 2012 at 3:18 pm |

HotAirAce

If you are going to continue to be disrespectful you and I cannot continue talking.

June 22, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
    • FrayedJeff

The point Topher is that you don't know, no one does. You have faith and no evidence for the existence of a deity.

There is no intelligence in our design, the planet has been hit by large objects, and will continue to be hit in the future. In fact that's most likely going to be the demise of our species unless we develop a feasible way to travel in space.

Please have your faith, I'm glad you find happiness with it.

One of my favorite scientists, Neil DeGrasse Tyson.
      [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ2qYnsjMRo&w=640&h=390]

June 22, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@Topher

You really have a reading comprehension problem. A persons morality is just that, personal, and cannot be applied to everyone else. Then you have cultural norms and morality. There are consequences for every action you take, both from other people and from the culture itself. If you think killing babies is a moral thing, then I would say that 1) Your morality is in line with the god of the bible, and 2) Acting on that will get your ass thrown in jail for a long time.

June 22, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@Topher

Here's the thing that proponents of ID never get, and that is that we don't know if the life we see is the only kind of life there can be. You look at the end result, and try to make the observation of the end fit your preconceptions, and that is completely backwards. There is no evidence of a creator, and the entire fine-tuning argument is hinged on the assumption that life cannot take on any form than what we see on earth, and that is a flawed premise.

June 22, 2012 at 3:26 pm |

HawaiiGuest

"There is no evidence of a creator, and the entire fine-tuning argument is hinged on the assumption that life cannot take on any form than what we see on earth, and that is a flawed premise."

You can't base the fact there MIGHT be life somewhere else based on other conditions. There's no evidence there even is other life. All we can do is look at the facts we DO have. And if you look at how finely tuned everything is (amount of gravity on earth and the pull from the moon and other planets) it takes more faith to be an atheist.

June 22, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
    • GrendelPrime

Read it, and understand why this is incorrect. Further more doing research to try and prove your belief means you're doing it wrong. Bias ruins science.

"Scientists do not coddle ideas. They crash test them. They run them into a brick wall at seventy miles per hour and examine the pieces. If the idea is sound, the pieces will be those of the wall."
      ~ unknown researcher

June 22, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@Topher

So you want to ignore every possibility and jump to "magic man done it". Got it. What exactly is wrong with saying "we don't know"? Why do you feel the need to assume anything, instead of waiting for the actual evidence? So what exaclty is the probability cutoff to say "god done it"?

June 22, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
    • FrayedJeff

I have no faith at all, yet I'm an Atheist.

June 22, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
    • Justin

Atheism is a faith. Atheist try to convert, sale books on atheism that can be considered scripture, and have faith that there is no God. You trust and believe there is no God when even you have no idea that is or isn't (that is called faith). With all that said sorry atheist men and women yall might not like it but its a religion.

June 22, 2012 at 3:53 pm |
    • Zeke2112

Atheism is a faith as much as not collecting stamps is a hobby.

Troll on, Topher.

June 22, 2012 at 3:55 pm |
    • FrayedJeff

Atheism is a faith as much as bald is a hair color.

June 22, 2012 at 4:02 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Topher, I was wondering when you would resort to the "you're not playing nice-nice and you've hurt my feelings, so I'm not going to talk you you anymore" means of ignoring questions you can't answer. The only appropriate response is "Fuck Off!" I will now sit back and watch you flail away with your tired arguments.

June 22, 2012 at 4:04 pm |

HawaiiGuest

@Topher

"So you want to ignore every possibility and jump to "magic man done it"."

I don't believe in magic.

"What exactly is wrong with saying "we don't know"?"

Nothing wrong with it whatsoever. The question we have been talking about is whether there is evidence for a creator. I've given a few examples of how science actually agrees with the Bible. It might not be proof, but at least it exists. You don't have to agree with it. I'm just saying it's a lie for an atheist to say there's no evidence for a creator.

"So what exaclty is the probability cutoff to say "god done it"?"

You and I both have the same evidence. We also both have a presuppositon to belief. Mine for, yours against. That's fine. But since the evidence seems to support the Bible ... well, you know where I'm going with this.

June 22, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@Topher

Sorry to tell you, but just because things are a certain way, doesn't mean it supports the bible. The laws of physics are a certain way, which was supportive of the development of life, and life adapted where it could. How does this support the bible? Simple answer, it doesn't. Evidence of the existence of the univers is not evidence of creation. You will not accept this, and I will not accept your assertion, so there's no point.

June 22, 2012 at 4:12 pm |

HawaiiGuest

"Sorry to tell you, but just because things are a certain way, doesn't mean it supports the bible."

Well, it's not proof, but it is evidence in the case for it.

"The laws of physics are a certain way, which was supportive of the development of life, and life adapted where it could. How does this support the bible?"

How doesn't it support the Bible? Those scientific things I pointed out earlier point to a beginning of the universe. This is consistant with the Bible. Is it proof there's a God? No. But they are compatible.

"Evidence of the existence of the univers is not evidence of creation. You will not accept this, and I will not accept your assertion, so there's no point."

The point, once again, is that atheists say there is no evidence of God and yet we have oodles of science agreeing with the Bible. Do with them what you will, but you can't say there is no evidence ... for either side.

June 22, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
    • Krug Lamner

@Topher

Show me some evidence that there isn't a colony of unicorns at the center of Jupiter that runs the universe.

Oh you can't? Then I guess my unicorn hypothesis must be correct.

June 22, 2012 at 4:35 pm |
    • Topher

All right, boys, I've got to take off to work. Another good day of discussion, but God has blessed me with a wonderful wife and a mortgage that I have to take care of. You all have a good evening and a great weekend. God bless!

June 22, 2012 at 4:37 pm |
    • cedar rapids

"We don't believe in magic, so stop saying we do"
      you believe that everything came into existence by speaking a word, performing a gesture etc etc. You can call it a miracle if you want but that is just another name for religious magic.

"You also state the "system is flawed." What is flawed about it?"
      er, have you looked at the world around you? I mean seriously, none of thise man's fault etc etc....god put the situation in place for this to happen, the buck stops with him.

"There's actually TONS of evidence for Christianity to be true"
      No, no there isnt, There are your claims of something proving something but it doesnt, not even close. The best you can hope to do is show someone called jesus existed but thats it. Even what you claim is scientific evidence is not because you make leaps that dont exist......if the universe is expanding it means god exists......what?

June 22, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
    • OTC

FrayedJeff..Actually, quite the contrary, I don't live in fear at all. If your theory is correct. then I just die, if my beliefs are accurate, you burn in a lake of fire under judgement. I have been saved, I dont have fear of judgement.

June 22, 2012 at 4:51 pm |
    • Krug Lamner

@OTC

If Islam is right, you'll be in hell too. Or any of the other 50,000+ religions and variations thereof throughout history. Pascal's Wager is a complete joke in the realm of debate.

June 22, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
    • OTC

Krug Lamner

I am not concerned about Islam.

June 22, 2012 at 6:20 pm |
    • OTC

Just hope you guys (atheists) are correct, your error will be costly.
      ..I'm wrong, I sleep, you judgement...

June 22, 2012 at 6:27 pm |
    • cm

says you – by definition atheism is a belief system.

June 24, 2012 at 12:31 pm |
    • aesthete2

Topher you've had it explained to you many many times that an atheist is just someone who doesn't believe in a god, not someone who believes there is no god.

Apparently you don't learn – how surprising.

June 25, 2012 at 8:07 pm |
    • Rowan Darklee

I don't think any legit atheist would refer to atheism as a "faith." I think this blogger is just trying to get attention.

July 1, 2012 at 8:31 am |
    • Agnostic_adult

I agree. Now, that this atheist blogger is no longer an atheist, will she begin blogging as a catholic?

July 4, 2012 at 7:13 pm |
    • The Dude

@topher you are a stud my man. You hit the nail on the head. And for whoever said bias ruins science...then the bias of there not being God ruins the science with which you pursue...and by the way, if you look at the origin of the planet and the origin of life and how long science says it would take for all of it to develop, then you would notice that when the first cells and proteins began to evolve that the earth was actually to inhospitable for those cells to even be produced, since at that time the Earth was too close to the sun. Also, you, as an atheist, absolutely have to believe that no life sprung for life. Also, you have to believe that for some reason that we spontaneously gained rationality and consciousness to understand that we have life. And no other species has this...we are the only ones to say "how did we get here?" so you'd have to argue that some how evolution produced one conscious species, but then why? Idk, when you look at all the things scientists (once again fallible men) claim to be true, you start seeing that some are rather ridiculous and require just as much faith as I do to believe in God and my Lord Jesus Christ. And don't worry, I questioned my faith with just about every fiber in my being, and came to the conclusion that only God could have created this. You and me. Sadly, too many Christians try to push forth an agenda with hate, which is totally wrong. Anyways, to whoever reads this, God Bless 🙂

July 5, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
    • LL

Tom, face the facts. You're going to hell to suffer for eternity. You and all your perverted friends on this article.

July 13, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
  3. Freethinker

"Rights of Christian Initiation of Adults"

First of all, it's "RITES."

Second, as an ex-Catholic who is now an atheist Unitarian Universalist... if this young woman is someone who truly examines facts and empirical evidence, she'll figure out the Catholic Church eventually, and she'll get out as quickly as she went in.

June 22, 2012 at 12:27 pm |
    • ziggy2

What is an "atheist Unitarian Universalist" and why would you attend a church service? I don't get it...

June 22, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
    • mt 2 sense

She sounds smarter than you so chances are she will not be so quick to bail out when she disagrees with something like you did..

June 22, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
    • Joseph

An atheist Unitarian Universalist is a humanist that seeks fellowship and common purpose to do good in the world and in their own lives. Many people together can feed and clothe the poor and advocate for a good society more effectively than individuals.

June 22, 2012 at 1:05 pm |
    • eric

but mt. sense,

if you dont agree with everything the catholic church says, then you are going against their doctrine, and if you go against their doctrine, then your a bad person. The Catholic church is very rigid and strict about you needing to believe everything they say, no matter what

June 22, 2012 at 1:30 pm |
    • Journeyman

Some can hack it...some can't.

June 22, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
  4. Rachel

Leah-Welcome to the family of believers! You have made a wise decision.

🙂

June 22, 2012 at 12:22 pm |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

It's all about recruitment...pathetic! This isn't a good thing. Supporting the Catholic church means you support people who se.xually harm little kids...you're not moral!

June 22, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
    • apostate

not if she picked those b*tt punching catholics

June 22, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
    • Zeke2112

Equating belief with being wise is a hilarious oxymoron. The wise don't look at the world and create mythical explanations for the universe.

June 22, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
  5. IslandAtheist

Oh well, so much for the atheist movement.. it was a good run, but I guess it's time to pack it in. LOL

June 22, 2012 at 12:20 pm |
    • cedar rapids

hehe, ok that did make me chuckle.

June 22, 2012 at 1:02 pm |
  6. John Carter, London

I wish Leah well as she goes down her chosen life path. But why within an authoritarian sect with very specific beliefs, including magical ones?

June 22, 2012 at 12:18 pm |
    • SouthernCelt

Do you call everything you don't understand "Magic"? Not very enlightened, but I expect nothing better from the English 🙂

June 22, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
    • JohnnyC

Authoritarian sect? The Catholic Church is the Church founded by Christ. See Matthew 16:18.

June 22, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
    • G

She joined the religion because her future husband is Catholic. There is a better Christian religion...Orthodox. As an atheist who dumped it, I have a lot of respect for it. Orthodox priests were scholars who guided people in a different way than Catholic priests. Of course if I were to pick a religion, Buddhism would be my choice. Buddhists are laid back, meditate, and their "priests" don't have to be dressed like clowns to stick out from the crowd.

June 22, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
    • Topher

The question should be: which one is true?

June 22, 2012 at 12:57 pm |
  7. SouthernCelt

RCIA stands for Roman Catholic Initiation of Adults, not Real Christian Initiation of Adults. Learn something.

June 22, 2012 at 12:18 pm |
    • junior

The Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA)

June 22, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
    • courtney

No, its "Rites of Christian Initation for Adults"

June 22, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
  8. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I'd like to know if her views on social issues is consistent with Catholic beliefs. Never read her blog, so I have no idea if she was already conservative or not.

June 22, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

edit: 'are consistent', darn it.

June 22, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
    • Blunt Object

I was thinking the same thing.

June 22, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
  9. For ever one like her, about 10,000 are go9ing the other way

How to tell she is an airhead:

"Libresco is just switching the side she thinks the facts are on." Facts?

"After years of debating many "smart Christians” Smart Christians?

And the real reason she converted? “Unequally Yoked: A geeky atheist picks fights with her Catholic boyfriend

June 22, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
    • commenter

Hahahahahahaha, that's rich.

I have lots of respect for smart atheists. But not for the type of atheist that upholds Dawkins as an intellectual champion. Or reasonable, for that matter. Read some books!

June 22, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
  10. HotAirAce

Prominent atheist? I've never heard of her before today. I need to get out more... :^)

June 22, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
  11. The Knight of God

So many Atheists got their feelings hurt... lol I don't cry when a "christian" goes atheist. Come on guys, be happy for her.

June 22, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

You don't cry, you just threaten them with hell-much worse than tears...you have no empathy because to you they will get their just rewards by turning away from your god.

June 22, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
    • Rob

I am happy for her in that she seems to be happy. However, I do question if she ever was really an atheist. Reading some of her posts, it seems like she always believed to some extent. Also, I find her logic a bit flawed – "I can't explain where morality came from therefore god" Really?

June 22, 2012 at 12:52 pm |
  12. WWJD

Precisely what facts?

June 22, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • franklovesfl

Seriously? If you REALLY want the facts, read her blog. Or try 'The Case for Christ'

June 22, 2012 at 12:33 pm |
    • Alfred

thats a good movie frank, i highly recommend it to all my atheist friends. sadly enough, they are too stubborn.

June 22, 2012 at 12:57 pm |
    • Zeke2112

The Case for Christ? How about the opposite: History. Geology. Genetics. Astronomy.

June 22, 2012 at 3:59 pm |
  13. Bootyfunk

guess she's never heard of Humanism, an atheistic ethical system. much much better for someone trying to lead a good life than following the "morals" of the bible that says to kill g.ays, disobedient children, non-virgin brides and anyone working the weekend. the bible supports slavery - and this is where someone goes for a moral compass? lol.

June 22, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • Tachoman

And where this "Humanism" got most of its rules? The 10 commandments, which in turn is the base of most legal systems in the west.
      It probably also got its rules too from the Natural Law.
      Humanism is nothin new nor that enlightened as atheists might portray it.

June 22, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Too bad you don't know much about history. The Ten Commandments aren't original to the Bible or to Christianity. The same laws predate Christianity by thousands of years.

Furthermore, they aren't the basis of law. Ethics is.

June 22, 2012 at 12:55 pm |
    • Kae

You worship the devil and you want to convince christians that you seek truth. All of you are liars.

June 22, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
  14. JellyBean

So she will write a book or get a reality show for this little stunt.

June 22, 2012 at 11:57 am |
    • Leah @ Unequally Yoked

This would, without a doubt, be the most boring reality show ever.

"Watch Leah read a book!"
      "Observe her catch up on her Udacity homework"
      *dramatic typing noises*

June 22, 2012 at 12:01 pm |
  15. willie

How can some one call themselves an atheist and be a blogger on a website that calls atheism a faith. There is something fishy with this chicks credentials to begin with.

June 22, 2012 at 11:57 am |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

She probably should never have used the word Atheist. An Atheist typically does not believes morals are external. She might have been questioning her beliefs and not seeing much evidence to support them but to drop all reason and turn to faith is a sing that if anything she was a weak theist.

June 22, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
    • The Knight of God

@willie Atheists don't have a doctrine to live by, so she was doing her own thing. She was her own kind of atheist. Now she is trying to find Christ. I don't agree with the Catholic Church but its a start. I am proud of her, a good lesson to you religous "nones" out there that there is hope for you too 🙂

June 22, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • DamianKnight

Well atheism is a "faith" in an odd sense. Faith is defined as: "belief that is not based on proof:" Since one cannot prove that God does not exist, the assertion that God does not exist is based on faith.

I know, I know, people are going to say, "What about unicorns, fairies, and Santa Claus? You can't prove they don't exist!" And that's absolutely correct. I cannot. All I can say is, "The evidence provided does not support the existence of unicorns and fairies." However, there are more than 300,000 life forms yet to be identified by science, and while these are mostly germs and insects, it doesn't COMPLETELY rule out the existence of fairies and unicorns. 🙂

The difference is, roughly 2.2 billion people believe in the Christian God that are currently alive today and billions more before them have also. There have been thousands of testaments stating that people have seen and/or talked to God. That alone is more evidence that God may exist than the few hundred (and I'm not sure on this number, I'm guessing) that claim to have encountered unicorns and fairies.

June 22, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
    • The Knight of God

@DamianKnight

Well they discovered the real life unicorn in Asia somewhere sooo... can't use unicorns as an example anymore lol

June 22, 2012 at 12:18 pm |
    • JellyBean@willie (those darned CNN modbots)

Yeah, I was wondering about that. I don't know a thing about her, except what I just read here, but if she did blog that atheism is a faith then that explains the use of "converts" in the t itle instead of "becomes" in some form.

June 22, 2012 at 12:20 pm |
    • WWJD

@Damian. That "logic" is so twisted. Atheism is not a faith no matter how much you'd like to believe that.

June 22, 2012 at 12:22 pm |
    • DamianKnight

If atheism is not a faith, then what is it?

By definition, atheism is: 1. the doctrine or belief that there is no God.
      2.disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

Notice the word "belief." It's not a fact, as much as some atheists would like to believe it is.

June 22, 2012 at 12:24 pm |
    • JellyBean@DamianKnight

"There have been thousands of testaments stating that people have seen and/or talked to God." We have cell phones with cameras just about everywhere now. Can't at least one of these "thousands of testaments" record such an event?

June 22, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
    • Blunt Object

@DK

June 22, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
    • DamianKnight

@Jellybean,

I suppose anything is possible. I'm sure they could be recorded, if someone had a camera ready at the time it happened.

The question is, would you believe it if it was recorded, or would you find someway to deny it? That's not intended to be an insult, it's a question.

What would it take? What would have to happen to change your viewpoint? A cell phone picture or video? People fake those all of the time. Hardly satisfactory evidence to those who despise, reject Christianity or any religion.

June 22, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
    • DamianKnight

@ BluntObject

"It is a LACK of belief that a supernatural being exists. It is NOT a belief. If we go with your definition, then everything you don’t believe is in itself, a religion!"

No, that's not what I said. I never called it a religion. I said it's a faith, a belief. Atheism IS a belief system. What is the statement of atheists, "I do not believe in the supernatural."? A lack of belief is still a belief.

There are hundreds of faiths out there to believe in. I am assuming, based on your statement, you do not accept any of them and do not believe that they are valid. That's a belief. And a belief takes faith, see above: "belief in something not proven."

For instance, if I offer you two fruits, say an apple and an orange. And I say, "Choose one to eat." And you say, "I don't like apples or oranges so I'm not going to take either one!" Does that mean you had a lack of choice? No, you chose to take neither. That's a choice.

Reminds me of that Rush song Free Will. "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

June 22, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
    • JellyBean@DamianKnight

You assumed I'm an athiest. I just asked a simple question.

June 22, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
    • DamianKnight

You are absolutely correct, JellyBean. I apologize.

June 22, 2012 at 12:55 pm |
    • Blunt Object

@DK

June 22, 2012 at 1:04 pm |
    • DamianKnight

@DK
      "For the purpose of this discussion, faith and religion are interchangeable, and I think you know that, you’re just playing with words."

I do not make this concession. Faith and religion are separate entirely. One can have faith without being associated with a religion. And there are many people who are affiliated with a religion that do not have faith. Therefore, it is imperative to the integrity of this discussion that "faith" and "religion" remain completely separate terms.

"Not believing in a deity is no more a belief/faith than not collecting stamps is a hobby. (Excuse me for using this tired example, but it simply does not get more clear-cut , so I feel compelled to do so)"

This statement is incorrect because the example is flawed. Everyone has beliefs. These are things that you cannot prove, but you still hold to be true. It is a logical fallacy to say, "There is no evidence that God exists, so there is no God." it's called "Appeal to Ignorance" and is a logical fallacy. Cavemen couldn't prove the Earth didn't rotate around the sun, does that mean the Earth didn't at that time? Of course not, it always did, whether the cavemen could prove it or not. Therefore, an atheist says, "There is no God." That's a belief, because it is a conclusion based on no supporting evidence and even evidence from others to the contrary.

"Using your own fruit analogy, just like religion, it does not matter which one you chose, it only matters that you believe it, or eat it as it applies to the fruit. By choosing no fruit, it only stands to reason that I do not eat it either."

You have made a choice not to eat fruit, regardless of the reason for the choice. That is still a choice. My above example is meant to show you that once presented with the opportunity to choose the apple, the orange, both or neither, you have to make a choice. There's nothing you can do. You have to make a choice.

The same is with a belief system. You have probably been exposed to Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, and all manner of other faiths. You have said, "I do not believe in any of them! I believe that there is no supernatural enti.tiy!" That's a belief (and please be aware, I am not condemning you for your beliefs. What you believe is purely your business. I am just pointing out it is a belief.) You either believe one religion, neither, (I suppose you could try to choose both but that would be weird), or neither.

June 22, 2012 at 1:30 pm |
    • Blunt Object

@DK
      Here’s one for you, if I saw you walking down the street, I could punch you in the face, the gut, or the beats… or I could not punch you at all. If I choose the no punch option, will the police have cause to arrest me? Will you be injured in any way by my non-punch? Will a non-punch even register as an event requiring any sort of discussion (hey Hun; I was walking down the street today, and Blunt Object walked past me and he didn’t punch me)? My answer to all three questions is ‘No’, but by your logic, they should be ‘Yes’. I sincerely don’t expect a response to this, because it is very clear that you will never understand that a non-belief is not a belief, and you will clearly never convince me otherwise, so have a nice day.

June 22, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
    • Kae

Atheists worship Satan. Plain and simple.

June 22, 2012 at 3:18 pm |
    • Steve

Kae, I think you just described yourself based on your plain and simple response. Btw..Satan translates as "opposer" so in some sense you are right, just not in the whackjob way you suppose. Watch out for those demons, they are right behind you..no wait they moved and are now hiding behind the unicorn.

June 22, 2012 at 3:45 pm |
    • DamianKnight

Once again, poor example. No, the police could not arrest you because not punching someone, even if you think about it, is not a crime. It doesn't have anything to do with this discussion.

Let me ask this. You assert God does not exist. You cannot know God does not exist. Therefore, you say things like, "I do not believe God exists." That's a belief! With all due respect, I don't see why this is so troubling to you. Yes, you have a belief system. Congrats. Everyone else does too. It's not a religion, but it is a belief. There's no argument here.

June 22, 2012 at 3:45 pm |
  16. WASP

"Libresco is just switching the side she thinks the facts are on."
    I disagree with the use of facts in her quote, religion has none; it's all about faith.

morality was her changing point? well morality has nothing to do with religion as we have seen from various news reports, but all in all i wish her well..........but seriously catholic? why catholic?

June 22, 2012 at 11:51 am |
    • junior

Because it is unitive. It is the church that Jesus Christ brought us.

June 22, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
    • Agnostic_adult

I can answer that question of, "why catholic?" Her boyfriend is catholic. If he is a good catholic boy, he won't marry her unless she "converts." It stikes me that she was never really atheist - more agnostic. She just doesn't know. Her arguments for and/or against religion are sketchy, at best.

For all those who say that atheism is a religion, because one must have faith that no god exists, that is an anti-argument. Those that claim something exists, have the burden of proof, whether it is in a court of law, a chemistry class, or a pulpit.

July 4, 2012 at 7:29 pm |
  17. Jack

Catholic boyfriend? Must have had one heck of a d!ck.

June 22, 2012 at 11:48 am |
    • JellyBean@Jack

LMAO! You said it Jack.

June 22, 2012 at 12:21 pm |
  18. mike

See there is hope for "tom tom piper's son" Prayer does change things!!!!

June 22, 2012 at 11:41 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Do you have a problem, mikey? What is it?

June 22, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
    • gerald

crabby today tum tum? An atheist left the fold and you are going to shun her. Sweet.

June 22, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What are you babbling about, gerald? What "fold"? I never read this woman's blog and know nothing about her. Why would I be upset about her conversion?

June 22, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

However, since you seem to be so knowledgeable, gerald, maybe you can answer the question I asked above. What are her views on social issues? Has she always been conservative, and if not, will she change her stance as a result of her conversion?

June 22, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Yeah, that's what I figured.

June 22, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
    • Kae

The woman left the devil worshippers and came over to worship Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior.

June 22, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
  19. mickey1313

She is brain damaged. Anyone who looks at the facts from out side the stigma and brainwashing, and can conclude that christianity is right is a fool

June 22, 2012 at 11:40 am |
    • Rick

It's been a quiet but historical thread, and is simultaneously a pillar of strength and one of great failing, that honest investigation into the HEART of the Catholic Church tends to inspire conversion. Doing so requires digging beyond the flashpoints of cultural contentions and seeing past the tarnish of the flawed who strive and fail to fully and properly bring that heart out to the world and the wicked who stain the trappings they try to hide in.

It a great failing that in 2000 years the church has not done enough to make finding that Heart easier, for without it the wicked and cultural contentions and the flawed certainly are not reasons to stay.

June 22, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
    • Kae

Mickey, the only brain damaged ones are people like you that worship the devil.

June 22, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
    • pastapharian

kae: try to educate yourself. fool.

June 23, 2012 at 3:08 am |
  20. derp

Dumb wench picks the most absolutely corrupt form of christianity for moral guidance.

Great, now she can molest children and feel ok about it.

June 22, 2012 at 11:39 am |
    • A Catholic

That's an anti-Catholic statement, and it is libeling the Church.

June 22, 2012 at 11:44 am |
    • Kieran

Alas, there are a great many anti-Catholic statements which are not libellous because they're absolutely true. Indeed, there's a legal action in Germany against the bishop of Munich in thr 1970s for covering up pedophilia accusations. This appears to be a point of policy since there was a recent hush-hush instruction to senior Catholic clergy (leaked from Ireland) instructing that these sorts of allegations must be dealt with in-house. This continuity of policy is unsurprising since the german bishop in question was Joseph Ratzinger, the current pope. In fact, given the recent history of the church with regard to pedophilia accusations, it's difficult to reject tbe conclusion that the church regards pedophilia as its core business.

I can see why the pope is keen to invoke diplomatic privilege when there's discussion of a "Crimes against humanity" charge since the charge is almost certainly true.

The Catholic church is like a fish. A fish rots from the head.

June 22, 2012 at 11:57 am |
    • JellyBean@derp

Agreed!

June 22, 2012 at 12:02 pm |
    • WWJD

@A Catholic. It's not libel if it's true.

June 22, 2012 at 12:06 pm |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

"That's an anti-Catholic statement, and it is libeling the Church."

Too funny!! They first have to track down 'derp' and that in itself is a lengthy process and then they have to explain why they violated his/her freedom of speech. Derp did not directly attack anyone...he/she made a comment based on factual evidence. Derp is not wrong, in case you have missed it...they are harboring criminals-grown adults who molest innocent children; they attempt sadly to say who can fall in love with who; they attempt further to tell a woman what she can and can't do with her body...they're like big pharma-they give the virus and milk you for 10% of your annual income in order to give you the cure.
      You're absolutely delusional and immoral for supporting this group of pedophiles.
      Oh and before you spew stupidity again about suing one for libel...have fun, I'll be waiting patiently, just as I have been for your jesus to return.

June 22, 2012 at 12:14 pm |
    • SouthernCelt

A Catholic:
      No worse than what the Romans, Protestants, and others have said about us yet we are still here.

June 22, 2012 at 12:23 pm |
    • derp

"Too funny!! They first have to track down 'derp' and that in itself is a lengthy process and then they have to explain why they violated his/her freedom of speech. Derp did not directly attack anyone...he/she made a comment based on factual evidence."

I live in the Philadelphia metro area. They Philly archdiocese just spent $11,000,000.00 trying to keep a pe dop hile and criminal conspirator out of jail here. One of the three defendants plead guilty and testified against the other two. The evidence is a sad commentary on the "moral turpitude" of the catholic church.

I guess it is somehow comforting to catholics to know that when they toss money into that basket every week, the money is going to the noble cause of defending child mol esters and conspirators.

Yay jesus!