home
RSS
June 22nd, 2012

Prominent atheist blogger converts to Catholicism

By Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) – She went from atheist to Catholic in just over 1,000 words.

CNN's Belief Blog: the faith angles behind the big stories

Libresco’s announcement has left some atheists scratching their heads.

But while atheists were puzzled by the conversion, others commended Libresco.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

Libresco is just switching the side she thinks the facts are on.

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism • Catholic Church

soundoff (7,475 Responses)
  1. Colin Morgan

Is there good money in converting to Catholicism? I mean, I'm an atheist but if you think I can write a book sharing my "coming to Jesus" story and make a million off it, I'll write one.

June 22, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

Every catholic sycophant will line up to buy a copy.

June 22, 2012 at 2:28 pm |
    • Shane

Exactly! She was never an atheist. She used her blog as a way to test the faith that was already there. People like her do more damage to either side than someone who just believes outright. What she probably wanted to do and didn't have the guts to do, was come out of the closet. THAT is her true religion.

June 22, 2012 at 2:29 pm |
  2. Spencer

This story is being told because it reinforces the narrative which most americans embrace. I've never heard of this young lady. I've been an atheist for most of my life, i've read Bertrand Russel, Richard Dawkins, et al and never heard mention of her.
    That calls into question whether she is as "prominent" or a "top atheist blogger" as well. And, it never makes the news when people convert in the opposite direction, which happens quite a lot. This is because it does not fit a narrative which is popularly embraced. Perhaps the headline "obscure blogger converts to allay concerns of her future husband's family" would be more fitting.

June 22, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
    • Ken S.

Who decided she was "prominent?" I've never heard of her before today. I can say that her given reason for converting is ridiculous and illogical, though. This is clearly not a person much educated or experienced in rigorous philosophical method. Just a dummy converting for her boyfriend,

June 22, 2012 at 2:21 pm |
    • acts431

If this young lady is converting to Roman Catholicism, she is still not a Christian. Catholicism is man-made religion of the worst kind. That is not Chrisitianity. Christianity is an intimate relationship with Jesus Christ that results in a desire to follow the instructions of the New Testament in the Word of God, the Bible.

June 22, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

I concur

June 22, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@acts

Oh my, a No True Scotsman fallacy. Who could have ever predicted that this would come up.

/sarcasm

June 22, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

To be clear, I concur with Spencer... not the dumbsh.it comments by "acts431"

June 22, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
  3. tony

Pre-planned publicity stunt. Like the similar conversion of "gays".

June 22, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
  4. Colin Morgan

morlaty r hard. plaese tell me how to thnik.

June 22, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
  5. Lucifer's Evil Twin

Gullible people (namely christians) will believe this ridiculous story. "Look how even the evil atheist converted to religion. See, we are right about god." Pathetic. Especially the bimbo in this article. If you convert to make your boyfriend happy, laying aside all of your previous convictions, then i'm going to propose that besides being weak willed and spineless you're probably not an atheist. Also how is she a "prominent atheist?" Blogging on some retarded catholic site doesn't make you "prominent."

June 22, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
  6. J

a true atheist wouldn't care enough to blog, she obviously just wanted attention and she's scared of death, wanted to convert, also, why is this on cnn? who the hell CARES.

June 22, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
  7. Linden Pike

I love the stories of The Bible, they represent a good collection of lessons, but to view them as a history lesson is an incredible error. They are more like fables with a good moral. Well, aside from the incest and genocide and spiteful God in the OT but loving God in NT. Hey, maybe he had a conversion too?!?

June 22, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
  8. Leucadia Bob

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QLsJqY9IoU&w=640&h=360]

June 22, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
  9. FraterT

Wow...one day the Christians accuse CNN of promoting bad press against them, and now the atheists accuse CNN of the same. There are honest conversiosn and deconversions everyday.. Atheists one this one yelping that it HAD to be ulterior motives is the same brand of whining believers have of someone "not having enough faith" and "turning their back on God" when someone leaves.

Get over it and let people live their lives.

June 22, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
  10. Rainer Braendlein

http://confessingchurch.wordpress.com (a Lutheran/Reformed Church):

What about the Holy Eucharist of the RCC?

They believe that the host is indeed Christ and he gets sacrificed every Sunday again.

What does that mean?

It means that a good Catholic can sin without limit, because every Sunday Christ dies again for his sins.

This is the full perverseness of the gospel, which should make decrease our sinning.

The RCC is indeed Satan's church.

June 22, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
    • FraterT

You serious misunderstand and misinterpret Catholic dogma, Rainer.

The Liturgy of the Eucharist does not "re-sacrifice" Christ. It brings His One Sacrifice to the present.

Learn what something is before you falsify what it means.

June 22, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
    • WayneKilmer

You do not understand Catholicism. Catholics are not forgiven of their sins if their confession is not sincere – which it would not be if there were any intent of sinning again. And as a Lutheran, you should respect the fact that the Catholic Church is the original, first, and primary Christian faith. Yours is but a branch off the main trunk.

June 22, 2012 at 2:17 pm |
    • Iska Waran

Rainer,

I'm sure you believe that, but it's not true. Catholics believe the Eucharist is a re-presentation to God of the sacrifice of Jesus. Catholics also believe that after serious (mortal) sin (1John 5:16), one must repent (or re-repent) of that sin before reception of the Eucharist and to avoid damnation. Protestants are the ones who believe "once saved, always saved" and that they can sin with impunity. Not to be uncharitable, but Protestantism is a form of antinomianism.

June 22, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
    • Mark

We remember his sacrifice at mass, in accordance with His command – 'to do this in commemoration of me.' His act was not a nice little gesture – he shed his blood for many and for all time, for those that will accept his gift of salvation. This is wholly Catholic, it is his body and blood, not a little bread and a sip of juice. It is not a perversion of the Gospel, it is the Gospel. It is not satan's church, but satan would love for all to beleive it, perhaps through the works of you and those who fall over each other to condem Christ's church.

June 22, 2012 at 2:33 pm |
    • Jim Larson

Rainer – your website is so full of hatred. You dismiss any church that does not believe as you do. You dismiss other religions, since they are all "Bigoted". I am glad this woman has found her way to Christ in the Roman Catholic Church, it means "SHE HAS FOUND CHRIST!" True Christians celebrate this!

I pray that god will open your eyes and your heart.

June 22, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
  11. paganguy

Convert from one useless religion to another useless religion.
    Atheism is a religion. Atheists BELEIVE there is no god.
    Weak minds need it.

June 22, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
    • Flippy1124

Yea, I'm going to play my favorite sport, not playing baseball.

June 22, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
    • boocat

Atheism IS NOT A BELIEF OR RELIGION.....got a dictionary.....LOOK IT UP!

June 22, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
    • ialsoagree

Atheists do not "believe there is no god."

Hard atheists do, but not all.

Atheism, at it's core, is simply "a lack of belief in a god."

I am an agnostic atheist, I don't know if god does or does not exist, but I don't happen to believe in one.

I also don't believe there isn't one.

I just don't know.

June 22, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
    • Adam

Although I agree with you that atheists believe there is no god.. I think it's incorrect to call Atheism a religion as religion is by definition an organized and agreed upon set of beliefs/traditions/practices/cultures. Just as one can believe in God but claim no religion.

June 22, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
    • Alicia Townes

If you are going to be a Christian make sure you follow christian ways

June 22, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
    • Quip

how is worshipping an elephant working out?

June 22, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
    • atroy

I don't believe this is a god. I don't believe there is no god. I can't prove either to be true. I don't believe anything because belief requires faith and I spend to much time thinking for myself to accept anything on faith. I accept the truth of things which can be proven.

June 22, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
    • AverageJoe76

If it's a religion; don't we need guidelines to follow or someone to take advantage of us financially? I left my manual at home.

June 22, 2012 at 2:21 pm |
    • Shane

June 22, 2012 at 2:27 pm |
  12. mcccc

I call BS on this whole story. Not many atheists turn to christians it is almost always the other way around. It's kind of hard to "uneducate" yourself. Maybe she was in a car accident that caused some severe brain damage in the logical thinking centers of her brain?

June 22, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
    • GauisCaesar

lol, atheists are more closed-minded than Muslims.

June 22, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
    • cyberhackster

Sniffing too much glue

June 22, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
    • Supafat

As usual, atheists are the most understanding and thoughtful people in a conversation. Good for her for finding the Light!

June 22, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
  13. Neurological Map

Neurological Map

A person's moral compass is derived from two sources: 1. From life experience. 2. From brain chemistry.
    This why it is hard to find a universal moral platform. The difference in societal norms/taboos shows how cultures around the world have evolved varying degrees of good and evil. To convert to a religion because you can't disprove that morality comes from a divine source, shows how tremendously ignorant you are of neuroscience, general biology, and of recorded human history regarding the vast array of religions. Sure, there's a lot of good that comes from religion, but why must you immediately fill your void in knowledge with fanciful and irrational beliefs? Constantly search for the truth. Question everything.

June 22, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
    • ialsoagree

The most glaringly stupid part of her decision, to me, is that a god doesn't solve her problems either:

If morality is objectively true, than it is not SUBJECTIVE to a god's will, and therefor it is external of her god. So her god didn't solve the initial problem.

If, however, morality is subjective (IE. subjective to her god's will), why bother adding the extra layer of "god"? Why can't it just be subjective to people?

I personally think that morality is both objective, and very specific. Situations themselves derive morality, the what is "morally correct" is influenced by all the factors leading up to that situation. Thus, I accept both an objective morality, and a system of morality that doesn't require a god.

June 22, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
  14. Perfect!

A woman changing her life and beliefs to do what a man wants her to do. That's the essence of catholicism. LOL

June 22, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

The article doesn't indicate that a man asked her to do anything. It's quite common for converted Catholics to be more devout than cradle Catholics. It may be that she challenges his devotion.

June 22, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
    • MK

Perfect, that is perfect!

June 22, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
  15. Leah Libresco

Hi! I am Leah Libresco, and I am weak and insecure. I have a Catholic boyfriend, and I really want to convert so he will marry me, but I have to soothe my intellectual pride, so I came up with this whole "Moral Law" act to make my conversion seem like it is all smart and stuff.

And, as it turns out, there is also a really lucrative speaking and book circuit for people who say they were atheists and converted.

I am making myself subservient to the views of my man, and I have gotten a religion that emphasizes the weakness and subservience of women. I think it is a good fit for me.

June 22, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
    • GauisCaesar

lol, atheists turn on each other at the drop of a hat. trying to leave the belief is harder than getting out of a gang!

June 22, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
    • Colin Morgan

so, so true. +1000

June 22, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
    • paganguy

I hope you can make good money from your "conversion". It is a business anyways, try to find a nich.

June 22, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
    • Gangor

Actually, we are glad to see her go. There is no meeting place or anything like that, so nothing will cause here any guilt trips about leaving, unlike religions.

She is a young girl, and her boyfriend seems to be the most important thing in the world, and she is giving up important parts of her identity to appease him. It's very common for women to submit like that, but sad really. I strongly prefer women who have thecoourage of their convictions.

June 22, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

So when she preached atheism she had integrity but now that she has converted of her own free will she does not? Isn't that what you call circular logic?

June 22, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

Wow...what hypocrites you atheists are on here. Obviously this young lady wasn't stupid. I am quite sure a few days ago you would have praised her for being such an intelligent atheist. I am guessing now the ONLY reason you would have said that is because of your oversized egos. You think she is smart as long as she spouts off what YOU think is true. When she decides differently...she turns into a sellout or whatever craziness you make up.

June 22, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
  16. michigan

To all the atheist out there i have a question for you. Prove to me that there is no god? By the way if someones a atheist let them be a atheist. If someones a Christian let them be a Christian. Why are all of you atheist so mad that someones a Christian? what does it matter to you? You don't see a bunch of Christians on here disrespecting you for choosing to be atheist so why do it to people you choose to be Christians.

June 22, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
    • Linden Pike

Its not our burden of proof to prove something that has never once been proved. We dont put people on trial for witchcraft and make them prove they aren't witches. The burden of proof is not on our side, we submit as evidence the overwhelming LACK of evidence and statistical insignificance between the atheist and believer calamity rate.

June 22, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
    • Horus

Either you don't read the posts often, or you suffer from naive realism if you think Christians don't attack atheists non-stop.

June 22, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
    • Gangor

Here we go again. You cannot prove the nonexistence of things that don't exist. Try to prove the leprechauns do not exist – you can't.

Prove Thor does not exist, or any other of the 4199 gods you are atheist about.

The original claim is that there is a God, and that is the claim that must be proven.

June 22, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

"Prove to me that there is no god?"

That's asking someone to prove a negative...not exactly a sound debate tactic. Better to ask them to prove the alternative to the idea that God exists.

June 22, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
    • snowboarder

prove which god doesn't exist? there allegedly so many.

June 22, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
    • LOL

how can you prove a negative? A fictional fantasy being that there is absolutely no proof of ever existing and I have to prove to you that it doesn't exist? Brilliant! That sort of nonsensical thinking is why you are religious in the first place.

June 22, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
    • yeahalright

What I do see is a lot of christians trying to impose laws based on their own supernatural beliefs. You christians are why we have your major holidays off (if you guys stuck to getting days off for the rest of us I'd be cool with you). You christians are why we have "god" stuck into our pledge of allegiance and onto our money for absolutely no reason. You christians are who is demanding we have prayer in school. You christians are the type of people who create things like the "creationist museum." You christians are the ones who go knocking on doors and bugging me in subway stations with bad fiction. You christians are the ones demanding that my gay friends don't get married. You christians are the ones who want to be inside a woman's uterus.

Get out of public life and laws and you can have your "live and let live" that you claim exists now. It doesn't.

June 22, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
    • Guillaume

Michigan, you raise a very good point. I think many atheists are confusing athesim with agnosticism. You cannot be an atheist if you're reasons are Reason and Logic, for the exact point you just raise: just as one cannot prove the existence of God, one cannot prove His inexistence either. I think many atheists are actually agnostics.
      But you are wrong in your other accusation. We don't have anything against Christianity. We have everything (and every reason to) against ANY religion trying to infiltrate the political and education system. It just happens that in America, that religion is Christianity. I assure you, we would resist with the same energy Judaism, Islam, or any religion. This is because we understand the value of the blood that was spilled to obtain separation of Church and State. It is under attack, and we must defend it, or the future will be grim indeed.

June 22, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

However, unlike what some might think...the burden of proof isn't a get out of jail free card to the atheist. It's being intellectually lazy to say that they don't have to prove anything at all. They believe that God does not exist. The alternative is that they believe that the concept of God (thinking Judeo-Christian here) must have been created by a person. But can any of them offer up scientific evidence that happened?

June 22, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
    • paganguy

Hey, Michigan. We don't have to prove non-existence of anything. You have to prove that it exists. No wonder you are religious, your logic is faulty.

June 22, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
    • boocat

I'll tell you why it matters to me. I have found that the majority of people who call themselves "christian" that I have met through the course of my life are the most hateful judgmental hypocritical people I have ever met in my life. Any more questions?

June 22, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

@yeahalright- "You christians are why we have "god" stuck into our pledge of allegiance.."

The "you" was specifically a catholic fraternity. Also..the pledge was a gimmick to sell flags. Not really anything special there at all.

June 22, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
    • Linda

"you don't see a bunch of Christians on here disrespecting you for choosing to be atheist".. well that crowd must have not shown up yet because I always here the "atheists are going to hell and have no moral compass" speech during arguements (I'm not atheist but I don't belong to one specific church). I agree however that BOTH sides need to be respectful of the other side for their beliefs. In reality you can't prove OR disprove God's existence, hence why there will always be religious arguements.

June 22, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
    • MattC

Rather than going after the sucker question "prove to me their is no god", I'm going to tackle the "why are we so mad if someone's a christian". We're mad because, with few exceptions, Christians are hypocrites, usurpers, and charlatans when it comes to morality, virtues, and values. They claim the Bible was written by God but instead of following the word of God to the letter, they cherry pick it for specific agendas, misinterpreting and twisting it to suit their needs, but when taken to task they hide behind the mask of holy virtue and moral authority. They claim to preach the "word of God" but what they're actually preaching (and quite dutifully impressing on anyone within earshot) is the twisted and convoluted words of people who claim to speak on God's behalf yet spend a good portion of their time and effort making the Bible work for them instead of making themselves in the image the Bible prescribes.

We are mad at Christians because they are basically liars and hypocrites that are trying to oppress us with "their" morals, values, and virtues. The problem is, again with few exceptions, they're telling us to do what they say, not what they do.

June 22, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
    • FSM

Atheist here. Its impossible to prove a negative. I cannot prove that there are no gods any more than you can prove that there is no invisible purple unicorn in your garage.

As it is the people who practice religion who insist tha a god (or multiple gods) exist, it's up to them to prove it. Thus far, they've all completely failed to do so - which is why rational atheism is on a sharp incline.

Personally, my atheism is defined by the fact that while I cannot prove that there is no god, I absolutely refuse to believe that any human being could ever know the intentions or desires of any supreme being or force, and it's up to us to simply lead good, kind, just lives. This is the approach of most of the atheists I know.

Oddly enough, it's the devout believers I know who seem most inclined to endorse the killing and exclusion of those with whom they disagree. Well worth thinking about.

June 22, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
    • snowboarder

Uncouth Swain – the existence of thousands of deities and religions over known history is more than sufficient to prove that man has a habit of creating them.

June 22, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
    • michigan

Exactly you can't prove it. So how can you say theres no God if you can't prove it. Then you attack Christians who believe there is a God lmao to me that sounds like a bunch of hypocrites. By the way I think its wrong for anybody to attack someones beliefs. Its wrong for Christians to attack atheists and its wrong for atheist to attack Christians. Is there child rapist in the church, hell yeah there is. Just like theres a lot of atheist who molest kids too. Everyone that commits murder i bet are Christians Muslims or atheist too. It doesnt matter what religion people are. Theres sick people in the world whether they clam there atheist, Christian or any other religion.

June 22, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
    • isolate

How logic works:

If you claim the universe is ruled by the Invisible Flying Spaghetti monster and I don't, it's you who have to come up with the evidence. If I claim that the Invisible Flying Spaghetti Monster doesn't exist, I don't have to do a thing. To convert me you still have to present the evidence. If you can't do that (and no one has ever been able to), then the validity of the Invisible Flying Spaghetti Monster is zero. The same applies to believers in gods, angels, UFOs, Bigfoot, the hollow Earth, etc, etc. Without evidence, their validity is zero.

June 22, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

"I cannot prove that there is no god"

Can you prove that the concept of god was created by a specific human?

June 22, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

That's a cop out snowboarder. The topic is about catholics...therfor the Judeo-Christian God.
      I love it when atheists will bring up specifics about Christianity when it suits there arguments but then jump headlong into the "all religions" type arguments when it doesn't.

June 22, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

"If you claim the universe is ruled by the Invisible Flying Spaghetti monster and I don't.."

Actually isolate..if you were not being lazy you might cite that Bobby Henderson created that concept. Therefor you have shown that is was created by a human being and not that it existed independantly of humanity.

June 22, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
  17. The Dude

Religious people don't have a monopoly on idiocy, we atheists have our share too.

June 22, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

How refreshing. Thank you for your honesty

June 22, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
    • isolate

Amen! 🙂 A fanatical atheist is every bit as boring and annoying as a fanatical believer in any of the gods.

June 22, 2012 at 2:29 pm |
  18. Going ToHell ButWhchOne

Looks like a billion Chinese kids will go to hell for not knowing who Jesus is. Heck even if you're here, each denomination thinks all the others are gong to hell–nuts!

June 22, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
    • MattC

Hell is their concept, their hang-up and, therefore, their problem. imho, if you believe you're going to hell you're probably riddled with guilt and remorse and, ostensibly, already in hell.

June 22, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

MattC You have no idea how closely your remarks sound like some very advanced Catholic doctrine.

June 22, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
  19. RWH

No one likes a quitter, she probably wasn't really an Atheist. If you really believe there is no god then what would convince you there is one? Certainly not man's inhumanity or greed. She was probably just playing Devil's advocate with her boyfriend. To think that some all knowing being created this world and man seems absurd to me. Don't even mention the bible, that book makes no sense and no one in the faith lives by it anyway.

June 22, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
    • The True Scotsman

Whine whine whine.

Maybe you can plz tell us who a true atheist is.

June 22, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

HA HA. This blog is like a photo negative of the one where the preacher became an atheist. True poetry.

June 22, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
    • myweightinwords

Conversion takes place due to personal experience and personal knowledge. We have not lived in her skin, we have not experienced her life. We can no more judge whether she was a "true Atheist" (however we're going to define that) than we can whether she has become (or will become) a "true Catholic" (however we're going to define that).

June 22, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
  20. DaveG

Yes we atheists spend out lives telling you how wrong you are.
    Our monkey forefathers told us to do so.

June 22, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
    • isolate

Ape forefathers. Apes split from monkeys between 15 and 20 million years ago. The ape lineage led to the bipedal apes, then eventually to the hominids, of which we are the most successful example. So far.

June 22, 2012 at 2:37 pm |