home
RSS
June 22nd, 2012

Prominent atheist blogger converts to Catholicism

By Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) – She went from atheist to Catholic in just over 1,000 words.

CNN's Belief Blog: the faith angles behind the big stories

Libresco’s announcement has left some atheists scratching their heads.

But while atheists were puzzled by the conversion, others commended Libresco.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

Libresco is just switching the side she thinks the facts are on.

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism • Catholic Church

soundoff (7,475 Responses)
  1. Annie's Daughter

Leah, my Sister in Christ – WELCOME!
    I have been nurtured and sustained by my Catholic faith over my 65 years on earth. Throughout my difficult childhood I always found comfort and acceptance by those in my hometown Catholic Church. In fact, it was a refuge for me. The wonderful ladies of the Women's Sodality (now all deceased) and the priests treated me no differently than the other children – even though I was often shunned and excluded by other adults (educators, neighbors, friends' parents) due to my father's alcoholism. I will pray your initiation will be complete. May you find that peace that comes from spending time with God and knowing Him as a kind, gentle and loving Father who loves you very much.

June 22, 2012 at 2:52 pm |
  2. Notashamed!

wondering why Anti Jesus post are accepted, but my Pro Jesus response mysteriously disappears?

June 22, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
    • G

Darwin likes birds more than the supernatural. He deletes your posts from outerspace.

June 22, 2012 at 2:53 pm |
    • Petercha

Good question, Notashamed!

June 22, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
    • Helpful Hints

Bad letter combinations / words to avoid if you want to get past the CNN automatic filter:
      Many, if not most, are buried within other words, so use your imagination.
      You can use dashes, spaces, or other characters or some html tricks to modify the "offending" letter combinations.
      ---
      ar-se.....as in ar-senic.
      co-ck.....as in co-ckatiel, co-ckatrice, co-ckleshell, co-ckles, etc.
      co-on.....as in racc-oon, coc-oon, etc.
      cu-m......as in doc-ument, accu-mulate, circu-mnavigate, circu-mstances, cu-mbersome, cuc-umber, etc.
      cu-nt.....as in Scu-nthorpe, a city in the UK famous for having problems with filters...!
      ef-fing...as in ef-fing filter
      ft-w......as in soft-ware, delft-ware, swift-water, drift-wood, etc.
      ho-mo.....as in ho-mo sapiens or ho-mose-xual, ho-mogenous, etc.
      ho-rny....as in tho-rny, etc.
      hu-mp… as in th-ump, th-umper, th-umping
      jacka-ss...yet "ass" is allowed by itself.....
      ja-p......as in j-apanese, ja-pan, j-ape, etc.
      koo-ch....as in koo-chie koo..!
      nip-ple
      o-rgy….as in po-rgy, zo-rgy, etc.
      pi-s......as in pi-stol, lapi-s, pi-ssed, therapi-st, etc.
      p-orn… as in p-ornography
      pr-ick....as in pri-ckling, pri-ckles, etc.
      que-er
      ra-pe.....as in scra-pe, tra-peze, gr-ape, thera-peutic, sara-pe, etc.
      se-x......as in Ess-ex, s-exual, etc.
      sl-ut
      sn-atch
      sp-ank
      sp-ic.....as in desp-icable, hosp-ice, consp-icuous, susp-icious, sp-icule, sp-ice, etc.
      sp-oon
      sp-ook… as in sp-ooky, sp-ooked
      strip-per
      ti-t......as in const-itution, att-itude, ent-ities, alt-itude, beat-itude, etc.
      tw-at.....as in wristw-atch, nightw-atchman, etc.
      va-g......as in extrava-gant, va-gina, va-grant, va-gue, sava-ge, etc.
      who-re....as in who're you kidding / don't forget to put in that apostrophe!
      wt-f....also!!!!!!!
      There's another phrase that someone found, "wo-nderful us" (have no idea what sets that one off).

There are more, some of them considered "racist", so do not assume that this list is complete...

June 22, 2012 at 2:57 pm |
    • sam

Seriously? Ugh, please.

June 22, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Because you used a rude word and the rude word filter supressed your post.

Posts here conform to application of "survival of the fittest for publication".

If you used a word like doc.ment or at.tude or const.tution, your post won't appear.

June 22, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

It took me ages one day to realize that I used the word "J-pan". Even today it took me half an hour to realize I used "t-the".

"t-t" is such as rude, rude word.

June 22, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
    • Notashamed!

So "moron" can "hope her children get molested" but apparently the truth straight from the word of God has to be filtered? Their was nothing vulgar in my post. What a lost world. Thank you Jesus for overcoming this world! I will sit her and wait faithfully.

June 22, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
    • Bizarre

Notashamed!

I guess you'd better get the "Holy Spirit" on the case then...

Look at the dang list of word FRAGMENTS.

June 22, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
  3. Kirk Cameron

I sure hate gay people because I'm told to. However if Jesus wanted a "hot carl" I would give it to him.

June 22, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
  4. MoralCompass?

How does one join an organization that systematically protects pedophiles because of the moral compass they provide?

June 22, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
  5. G

Apparently this one doesn't come from a monkey.

June 22, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
  6. db

Who are these lady douchbags who use this whole '/sarchasm' thing? And what about this one: '/sarchasm off.' What can we call you? Fem-douchbag? Ella-douchbag? I'm open to suggestions, but we really need a term for these kissy face retarded females with the black-rimmed glasses.

June 22, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
    • sam

What the hell are you talking about, douchebag?

June 22, 2012 at 3:00 pm |
  7. No need to believe

I put my moral compass in my back pocket.... Than sat on it. 😦

June 22, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
  8. Cris

Hmm, i think she's just doing it for her boyfriend's sake...

June 22, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

Then she has rolled a dice bigger than she imagines

June 22, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
    • sam

She's joining a faith that she has issues with already – issues concerning some of their most basic tenets. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

June 22, 2012 at 3:01 pm |
  9. x-Muslim

All Real Atheists, Please Ignore this PR Camping..
    don't retaliate

June 22, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
    • The True Scotsman

Yeah...all you "real" atheists....not those fake ones.

June 22, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
  10. Nambla Priest

Creationism is the truth!!

June 22, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
    • No need to believe

Your right, you tell'em! Now hit them with the one about the giant fish that people can live in. Then follow it up with building a boat for a giant flood.... Then really seal the deal close it with the fact that The word of god is only 29.95 with shipping and handling off amazon! Let's get to converting!

June 22, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
  11. Eric

Hmmm... publicity stunt?

June 22, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
  12. Rainer Braendlein

@I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

My comment bases on facts. Just check it out. The period of 666 years you can calculate.

It only needs some spiritual knowlegde to realize that 666 is identic with the 666 of the Revelation/Bible.

June 22, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
    • snowboarder

numerology? seriously? shall we throw in a little astrology, too?

June 22, 2012 at 2:52 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Rainer,

then it is purely coincidence. We can reverse engineer data to provide the conclusion we want. It is 'post hoc ergo propter hoc' illogic.

/sarcasm on
      What's 6 x 7? 42. Since 42 is the answer to life the universe and everything, then 6 weeks must have meaning.
      /sarcasm off

June 22, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
  13. Nambla Priest

We need more little boys in church!

June 22, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
    • Lesli Jeffrey

I think a lot of people are starting to think that of the male species in general – but I think it would be wrong to generalize all men – don't you?!

June 22, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
  14. Map Hillu

Haters hating haters.

June 22, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
  15. Jesus was a space alien

I find it is usually the other way around. Former religious folk become atheists. Sounds like she was not honest with herself in her beliefs.

June 22, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
    • Even Steven

Sounds like a FAKE blogger for the christian right went "Atheist" just to "turn."

I CALL SHENANIGANS!

June 22, 2012 at 2:52 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

I'm not sure I agree with you on the demographics of the demographics of the changes. But, assuming you are correct, wouldn't the rarer event be accorded more interest in the scientific community? What sort of extra normal causation must exist for someone to develop into a Christian?

June 22, 2012 at 2:55 pm |
    • Solitairedog

It does appear that she decided to throw logic right out the window. Her words, without the article-bs: "I had one thing that I was most certain of, which is that morality is something we have a duty to,and it is external from us. And when push came to shove, that is the belief I wouldn’t let go of. And that is something I can’t prove.” Her premise is bull and her conclusion is that it is a belief to which she clings with no proof whatsoever.Whatever her motivations, she has lost her respect for her own brain. That's what I call "brainwashing."

June 22, 2012 at 3:00 pm |
  16. Solitairedog

I did not see, in the article, a mention of the religion with which she was raised. Is she simply returning to the Catholic Church?

June 22, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
  17. jon custer

why is it news that one aithest converts to a religion and not news that athiests/non-religious is the fastest growing group in america? this has little to no significance to anything sadly =[ she isnt a prominent athiest either. call me when hawkings, AronRa, thunderfoot, bionicdance, or the amazingathiest turn christian of anyone from the athiest experiance turn christian then it might be news worthy.

June 22, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

And yet atheist pointed to evidence of Christianity's invalidity when a backwoods, unknown preacher turned atheist because his flawed theology failed. The word parsimonious comes to mind. Call me when Billy Graham or Pope Benedict becomes an atheist. On second though, never mind. The whole world can become atheist and I will stand on the Gospel of Jesus Christ crucified.

June 22, 2012 at 2:58 pm |
  18. Answer

Who is she? don't know.

I can take a guess as to why this person became religious.. fear.

June 22, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

I can see how an atheist could become fearful.

June 22, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
    • Blessed

You're very right...fear as in hell or Heaven!!! I chose Heaven too!! You really may want to consider it yourself!!!

June 22, 2012 at 3:03 pm |
  19. A dose of reality

A few questions should help shed light on the relationship between religion and rational thought.
    The completely absurd theory that all 7,000,000,000 human beings are simultaneously being supervised 24 hours a day, every day of their lives by an immortal, invisible being for the purposes of reward or punishment in the “afterlife” comes from the field of:
    (a) Astronomy;
    (b) Medicine;
    (c) Economics; or
    (d) Christianity
    You are about 70% likely to believe the entire Universe began less than 10,000 years ago with only one man, one woman and a talking snake if you are a:
    (a) historian;
    (b) geologist;
    (c) NASA astronomer; or
    (d) Christian
    I have convinced myself that gay $ex is a choice and not genetic, but then have no explanation as to why only gay people have ho.mo$exual urges. I am
    (a) A gifted psychologist
    (b) A well respected geneticist
    (c) A highly educated sociologist
    (d) A Christian with the remarkable ability to ignore inconvenient facts.
    I honestly believe that, when I think silent thoughts like, “please god, help me pass my exam tomorrow,” some invisible being is reading my mind and will intervene and alter what would otherwise be the course of history in small ways to help me. I am
    (a) a delusional schizophrenic;
    (b) a naïve child, too young to know that that is silly
    (c) an ignorant farmer from Sudan who never had the benefit of even a fifth grade education; or
    (d) your average Christian
    Millions and millions of Catholics believe that bread and wine turns into the actual flesh and blood of a dead Jew from 2,000 years ago because:
    (a) there are obvious visible changes in the condiments after the Catholic priest does his hocus pocus;
    (b) tests have confirmed a divine presence in the bread and wine;
    (c) now and then their god shows up and confirms this story; or
    (d) their religious convictions tell them to blindly accept this completely fvcking absurd nonsense.
    I believe that an all powerful being, capable of creating the entire cosmos watches me have $ex to make sure I don't do anything "naughty". I am
    (a) A victim of child molestation
    (b) A r.ape victim trying to recover
    (c) A mental patient with paranoid delusions
    (d) A Christian
    The only discipline known to often cause people to kill others they have never met and/or to commit suicide in its furtherance is:
    (a) Architecture;
    (b) Philosophy;
    (c) Archeology; or
    (d) Religion
    What is it that most differentiates science and all other intellectual disciplines from religion:
    (a) Religion tells people not only what they should believe, but what they are morally obliged to believe on pain of divine retribution, whereas science, economics, medicine etc. has no “sacred cows” in terms of doctrine and go where the evidence leads them;
    (b) Religion can make a statement, such as “there is a composite god comprised of God the Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit”, and be totally immune from experimentation and challenge, whereas science can only make factual assertions when supported by considerable evidence;
    (c) Science and the scientific method is universal and consistent all over the World whereas religion is regional and a person’s religious conviction, no matter how deeply held, is clearly nothing more than an accident of birth; or
    (d) All of the above.
    If I am found wandering the streets flagellating myself, wading into a filth river, mutilating my child’s genitals or kneeling down in a church believing that a being is somehow reading my inner thoughts and prayers, I am likely driven by:
    (a) a deep psychiatric issue;
    (b) an irrational fear or phobia;