home
RSS
June 22nd, 2012

Prominent atheist blogger converts to Catholicism

By Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) – She went from atheist to Catholic in just over 1,000 words.

CNN's Belief Blog: the faith angles behind the big stories

Libresco’s announcement has left some atheists scratching their heads.

But while atheists were puzzled by the conversion, others commended Libresco.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

Libresco is just switching the side she thinks the facts are on.

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism • Catholic Church

soundoff (7,475 Responses)
  1. nojinx

I hope she did this for the right reasons and not simply because of her desires.

June 22, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
    • Smurfette

Catholic boyfriend = catholic mother of catholic boyfriend = conversion

June 22, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
    • birch please

Smurf = winning.

June 22, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

smurf= a lot of guessing

June 22, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
    • sam

Not a bad guess, though. She's already saying (per the article) that she has issues with parts of the faith. So...kind of a weird choice, if she doesn't agree with some of the basics.

June 22, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
  2. Jesse from KC

I think, if needing a moral compass is the reason for switching to any religion, you're just not doing enough research. Most religious laws are based off of laws that are much older than the religious texts they appear in. The Code of Hamurrabi is one such. And while many of those codes don't fit todays society, neither do many of the religious laws found in said texts...

I'm not going to go so far as to say that her boyfriend converted her, like many people on here have... I understand it, as an agnostic and not an atheist... There is a human need that is filled by religion that is hard to be met elsewhere. The comfort of what happens when we die... I've spent my entire life without that comfort, and many times I've "converted", only to find myself changing my mind the more I talked to people who were actually religious... No discussion, just acceptance...

June 22, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
    • traviskurtz

The question isn't what is right or wrong; the question is what ontological bases do you have in providing right and wrong claims?

June 22, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
  3. birch please

Thats fine, just make sure it does not influence your political choices.

June 22, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
  4. bob

do you atheists who claim superior intelligence even read philosophy? she's got it right. atheists have no rational basis for morality. to claim both morality & reason is a non-sequiter. atheists who claim morality can't claim reason. atheists who claim reason can't claim morality.

to claim both is hypocrisy or confusion. probably both.

June 22, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
    • birch please

Yes we read the philosophical branch known as ethics....

June 22, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
    • Smurfette

you're a dumb t-wat

June 22, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
    • sam

Oh bob.

June 22, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
    • bob

yeah, ethics. that branch of philosophy that can't answer if it even exists, but produces volumes of books pretending it can.

June 22, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
    • birch please

Do you exist bob?

June 22, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
    • Smurfette

@ birch – of course bob exists – I looked up "t-wat" on Wiki and there he was

June 22, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
  5. What a fraud...

There is one fatal flaw in her reasoning...

Morality is doing what's right no matter what you're told...
    Religion is doing what you're told no matter what's right.

June 22, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

Way too generalized there chief. Not all religious people ignore their internal moral compass just because of what a book says.

June 22, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
    • Well.....

True "Morality is doing what's right no matter what you're told..."
      WRONG "Religion is doing what you're told no matter what's right."

June 22, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
    • What a fraud...

"WRONG "Religion is doing what you're told no matter what's right."":

That is PRECISELY what religion is... American Christians are a perfect example of it....

June 22, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

You are still wrong fraud.

June 22, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
  6. QS

Why does it seem so surprising to religious people that we Atheists would be just as skeptical about someone making a claim like this as we are about the religion itself?

June 22, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
    • Well.....

I’m not surprised. You should be skeptical. Why do atheists think religious people should have no doubt or question their faith? They think we are no longer true believers, did it ever occur to atheists God wants us to question and not follow him blindly?

June 22, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
  7. cc

Many blessings to you on your new journey, Leah. It's not an easy path you've chosen but I'm sure you will find your way.
    May the Word be a lamp for your feet and a Light to guide your path....

June 22, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
    • birch please

Its the easier path, thats for sure.

June 22, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
    • Dave

Yeah, being a christian in america is a pretty difficult road

June 22, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • Ting

I agree that using the 'word' as a torch would be a good start.

June 22, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
  8. traviskurtz

Drumcode; so microscopes tell us where morality came from? That's just silly.

June 22, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
  9. nojinx

How would other theists feel if she had converted to a form of Islam? Worse or better than Catholicism?

June 22, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
  10. ShesOnTheChristianPayroll

She's a faker people... no atheist with half a brain would convert to Catholicism of all things using such lazy reasoning..

June 22, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
    • The True Scotsman

Aye..you tell them.

June 22, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
    • traviskurtz

You're arrogant or autistic; maybe both

June 22, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
    • ShesOnTheChristianPayroll

Arrogant or autistic.. nice, I'm glad that you have something intelligent to bring to the conversation.

June 22, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
    • cc

In fact, a very famous atheist did convert to Catholicism in the 20th century and is now a a Patron Saint of Europe. Edith Stein, also known as Saint Teresia Benedicta of the Cross.

June 22, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
    • ShesOnTheChristianPayroll

You misunderstand me.. I am simply saying that this is lazy reasoning. I don't believe she is really an Atheist. I am not saying it's unreasonable for people to convert to Catholicism. Just... in this case, it's fishy. She blogs for a Christian website as an Atheist... say what?

June 22, 2012 at 3:43 pm |
  11. richard

Who?

June 22, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
  12. Melissa Robbins

You were never EVER a true Atheist then... If you ever doubted your beliefs, its because you were AGNOSTIC... just another confused soul making a bad name for Atheists. While I am sure the blog was good, and pro-atheism, I am not convinced that this person was ever truly who they said they were. I have studied religions, I have contemplated the reasoning behind them. I have come to understand the basic principles behind why a person could believe. But never once, have I ever faltered in my own belief that there is no god, no deity, no heaven or hell. I am a true Atheist!!

June 22, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
    • Metta World War

this

June 22, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
    • The True Scotsman

Aye...you tell them Melissa....you tell them who is a true atheist!

June 22, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
    • Kae

Agnostic, atheists all worship Satan.

June 22, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
    • birch please

Hahaha, yes an atheists who does not believe in any religion, worships the one anti-god in one religion.

June 22, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • nepawoods

Being a true atheist does not require one to have a closed mind – that is, to be closed to the possibility one might change one's mind. You can believe something, completely and truly, one day, and not believe it the next.

June 22, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
  13. nojinx

Well, better that she embraced more than one faith than to spend her whole life believing only one thing.

It is rather unusual for this to happen outside of State and Federal Penitentiaries, though.

June 22, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
  14. HamsterDancer

I see lots of hard-core atheists are having a rough time with a well-educated non-believer changing. I have no problem with it. Human beings are alot more complicated than simple black & white on this subject.There is a large amount of gray area that most people in the world float in on the subject of spirituality. It's not the old joke of being "a little bit pregnant". People go through their whole lives wavering back and forth on the subject. Very few of us reach a rock-solid, unwavering decision.

June 22, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
  15. Jasin

I would have to think the increase in traffic her blog has rec'ved would have something to do with inspiring her to "convert".

June 22, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
  16. Truth Wins!

To Leah:

Congratulations! Hope you find your anchor and faith in the one true God .

Remember this is not about any denomination but it about a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

June 22, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
    • Religions=Ponzi scheme

Your usename does not coincide with your statement.

June 22, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
  17. midwestmatt

Good for her. If this makes her happy, then that's enough for me.

As for my future, I'm happy to be an atheist with high moral standards that I did not glean from the Bible or any other religious text. My moral compass was set both internally (I know right from wrong) and from my fallen away Catholic father and atheist mother.

June 22, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
  18. Dandy

My guess is that she just wants to get hitched.. and becoming Catholic is very convenient...

June 22, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
    • OOO

No, No, No...Really. She now believes that a virgin birth happened, that 1/3 of god was her son and that he died but came back to life and floated to space.
      And she can't use birth control any more.

June 22, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
    • Amy

It's actually quite easy for an atheist and a Catholic to get married in the Church. I know because I'm doing it. So that's not the reason.

June 22, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
    • catholic engineer

@OOO but a virgin birth DID happen. The basic materials of the universe simply popped into existence. Then, another miracle: under perfect simultaneous conditions of temperature, time, pressure, and light, these materials came together and produced proteins and amino acids which were encoded by DNA. No action was apparently required from an outside intelligent influence. This produced life on this planet. Now THAT'S a virgin birth.

June 22, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
    • sam

@catholic engineer – really? Don't forget the part where back then, cesaerean section was also referred to as virgin birth.

June 22, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
  19. nimesh

As an agnostic I can't fathom how someone can go from being irreligious to a believer or even vice versa.
    Brain injury could cause that conversion. I'm not being facetious, I just can't understand that.
    The only reason I'm agnostic and not atheist is because I consider it arrogant for a person with limited information to rule something out totally (in this case a supreme god of the universe.)

June 22, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
    • AverageJoe76

I agree with your reasoning for being agnostic. I am, myself. I don't see how any human can prove or disprove God. It's not like he's taking requests for confirmation.

June 22, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
    • John

This is what bothers me about agnostics. That somehow there needs to be total and absolute proof for something to be proven. If something is said to be 99.9999999999% accurate then most people consider that to be true enough. Compared to say religion which has precisely ZERO evidence to back up any of its claims. Not having the full list of evidence may prevent some people from stating what the truth is, but that doesnt prevent us from stating what ISNT the truth. In this case, god.

June 22, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
    • ialsoagree

Atheists don't "rule something out totally."

In fact, you ARE an atheist, you just don't know it.

Theism means to "believe in a god or gods."

Do you believe in a god or gods?

Guess what, you're an atheist! Atheist is the opposite of theist, it means "not to believe in a god or gods."

What it does NOT mean is to "believe there are no gods." That is a misunderstanding that many people assign to atheism, but has never actually been a part of the words usage (even in ancient times, atheists were those without god, while other terms were used to refer to those that BELIEVED there was no gods).

June 22, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
    • ialsoagree

By the way, I'm an agnostic atheist. I don't think it's possible to know if god does or doesn't exist, but I don't happen to believe in one myself.

June 22, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
    • IO

you couldn't have said it better... right on !!!

June 22, 2012 at 3:54 pm |
  20. Mark

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

June 22, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
    • Kae

Atheists worship Satan.

June 22, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
    • YeahRight

"Atheists worship Satan."

Lying is a sin. Duh!

June 22, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
    • Peter

@Kae you can't worship something you don't believe exists. 😉

June 22, 2012 at 3:29 pm |