home
RSS
June 22nd, 2012

Prominent atheist blogger converts to Catholicism

By Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) – She went from atheist to Catholic in just over 1,000 words.

CNN's Belief Blog: the faith angles behind the big stories

Libresco’s announcement has left some atheists scratching their heads.

But while atheists were puzzled by the conversion, others commended Libresco.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

Libresco is just switching the side she thinks the facts are on.

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism • Catholic Church

soundoff (7,475 Responses)
  1. leonmoses

Wowee Wow Wow Wow !!!
    This story reminds me of St. Paul who was at first zealously anti-Christian.

He too saw the light!

Good luck on your decision to convert, Leah

June 22, 2012 at 7:22 pm |
    • Leah Libresco, very very very very very very prominent atheist blogger

So St. Paul's boyfriend was Catholic too?!?!?! Wow! I thought it was just me!!!

June 22, 2012 at 7:28 pm |
    • nottolate

Your analogy is in error. Paul was an authentic Christian while Catholics are not.

June 22, 2012 at 7:38 pm |
  2. LittleHero

I contend that there are only two groups – atheists and agnostics.

I am an atheist.
    My wife considers herself a radical agnostic – which can be summed up as "I don't know and neither do you, so STFU"

Anyone that claims to have no doubts about the existence of god is lying to you and themselves.

June 22, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
    • Elspeth

Your wife sounds like a wise woman. At least when it comes to the argument of "God exists. No, he doesn't"

To be truly Arhiest one needs to have as much FAITH as one needs to be truly Religious. It is not possible to provide either the existence or non-existence of God; it is possible only to BELIEVE one way or the other.

June 22, 2012 at 7:29 pm |
    • LittleHero

I will explain what an atheist "believes" – We believe in the natural world and that the supernatural does not exist.

For some of us this "belief" is accepted as fact – like we believe that gravity is a fact.

I would like to quote a very funny movie – The Lost Skeleton of Cadavera.

"I am a scientist – I don't believe in anything"

June 22, 2012 at 7:39 pm |
    • sn0wb0arder

Elspeth – you make the same mistake so many of your contemporaries make, you for some unimaginable reason seem to believe that your god is the only god. unfortunately, there have been thousands of gods and religions over the expanse of human history. what you will find is that both you and i disbelieve in all those other gods. i only disbelieve in one more "god" than you.

June 22, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
    • Nope

Absolutely untrue. Just ask yourelf if it takes you as much faith to believe that Thor does not exist as it does for you to believe that Jesus is personally telling you to behave differently. Not even close. It takes you NO effort or faith regarding Thor, because it's silly. Same with us and Jesus.

And I am not letting you slide on the sleazy definition tactic you are using, attempting to equate atheists with religious people. The applicable definition regarding religion is "(1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion" – cannot possibly apply to an atheist. It's like saying a yellow flower is cowardly, because "yellow" means coward.

We hear the same sleazy game when people like you try to call atheism a religion, but that alls apart instantly as well.

June 22, 2012 at 7:45 pm |
    • tell the truth

@snowboarder
      that is because there is only one true God and thousands of idols.

June 22, 2012 at 7:45 pm |
    • LittleHero

Maybe I can sum up how I feel about it:

Belief in a god is actually a wish for a god and wishes are irrational – so I reject it out of hand. No real faith involved, just logic.

June 22, 2012 at 7:50 pm |
    • Mike Blackadder

Snowboarder – the Christian, Jewish, Muslim conception of God admits that He is infinite and unknowable. So what do you mean when you question whether MY God exists? Do you mean my personal vision of God? Surely, I can't even possibly conceive of the reality of an omnipotent creator, so what exactly is your point?

June 22, 2012 at 8:06 pm |
    • Elspeth

See, that's just it...you BELIEVE they the "supernatural" doesn't exist. You cannot prove it. And that includes ALL FORMS of the supernatural. I cannot prove that black holes exist...most physicists cannot "prove" that black holes exists. However, there is enough effect on the physical world to try and demonstrat through math that they do exist. Physicists call black holes, and other unprovable through direct observation phenomenon, singularities. GHOSTS would be singularities if you are one to believe in them. So would vampires and wearwolves. ALIEN LIFEFORMS are presently both "supernatural" as that word is defined and singularity.

So, whose wrong...those who want to insist that they are right without proof that a God that billions of people accept as existing doesn't exist or those of us who accept that we cannot prove the God we know exists to those who refuse to believe...because they instead chose to BELIEVE in something else.

Until you can PROVE the absence of a Creator the your claims are nothing more than BELIEF. And no amount of " but you don't actually know what atheism means" changes that. That statement is about as worthy of "but it's not fair" or " because I said so" and you all likely know it.

Frankly, a person who can accept that their faith position is based in unprovable BELIEF and is ok with that is mentally much more healthy than one who has to insist that their BELIEF is supported by facts or science when the BELIEF is intrinsically impossible to prove and therefore cannot be factually supported or proved by science

(as soon as you have a PEER REVIEWED and REPRODUCED scientifically valid study of people who have been dead and burried and can report back that there is no afterlife, I will eat my words)

June 22, 2012 at 8:11 pm |
    • LittleHero

It can be proved that there is no necessity for a supernatural "creative" force, and that is probably as close to a proof you can get. It is logically impossible to prove non-existence.

June 22, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
    • Elspeth

And, when did either of you who chose to presume that I do not believe that there exists, or has existed, more that one god, ask me what my personal understanding of such things are?

Did anyone ask me if Thor, or any of the other Norse panoply of gods does or does not exist? Did any of you ask me of Zeus? No, you all presumed. I do not, out of hand, discount the existence of any of the gods of legend. Their existence demonstrates purpose.

The only thing that any of you could tell from my posts is that I have accepted the teachings of JESUS.

So, don't go go about off hand suggesting that it is as easy a thing to discount the existence of Thor for me as it for you to discount God for you...because you do not know what is or is not easy or not.

As was pointed out, God is unfathaomly unknowable. He/She/It/They could be and likely are more than my puny brain will ever comprehend. An all powerful, all knowing God can do and be whatever, wherever, and whenever they desire.

June 22, 2012 at 8:24 pm |
    • Elspeth

It can be proved that there was no need for a creative force?!!!!!! SRSLY? Did you just receive the Nobel in physics? The cause of the ORIGIN of the UNIVERSE is still highly debated. The Big Bang may be generally accepted but the cause of the Big Bang is still unknown...a SINGULARITY. If you have solved that you would be the most celebrated physicist in the world. You'd be bigger than Hawkins

Try again unless you'd like to share your creds to prove you have completely solved the mystery of the origin of the universe.

June 22, 2012 at 8:30 pm |
    • LittleHero

Elspeth

I actually have a great deal of respect for personal religious conviction. I would not deny that to anyone. You seem not to be able to accept my views – that a belief in god is illogical – therefore I have no belief in god.

It may just come down to semantics, where I say that non-belief is not the same as belief in something else. I do not "believe" in anything.

June 22, 2012 at 8:33 pm |
    • Elspeth

I didn't say you couldn't believe it...that was my point all along...by all means believe away...but that is all you, or me, or anyone, atheist or Pope, have...belief. There is NO FACT.

Matters of faith, both for and against, cannot be proved, period.

June 22, 2012 at 8:38 pm |
  3. EnjaySea

Oh cool. The "moral compass" argument. Another person who doesn't have the intellectual capacity to determine what is moral and what is not without having some church bureaucrat holding her hand and pointing the way.

Well, young lady. If you can't envision morality without help, then you probably need the church, so go for it. For me, I'll stay out here and live my life without technical support, thanks just the same.

June 22, 2012 at 7:18 pm |
    • Sam Yaza

agreed

June 22, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
    • Elspeth

If arrogantly slamming this young person is your demonstration of morality then maybe you do need someone to hold your hand...unless you actually want to have the whole world condem you with arrogance (the golden rule and all that dude)

June 22, 2012 at 7:26 pm |
    • Mike Blackadder

I sounds to me that she considered the foundation of her morality in a highly objective manner, and she blogged about her views and ideas as an atheist for some time. On the other hand I see no evidence whatsoever that anonymous atheist commenters here have given equal consideration to the foundation of their morality.

June 22, 2012 at 7:29 pm |
    • sn0wb0arder

Mike Blackadder – as with all of us, our morality is a learned trait. the majority of us receive this from our parents, immediate family and community. there is nothing particularly magical about that.

June 22, 2012 at 7:38 pm |
    • TestType01

Nice. I believe as well that people need to be their own compass. The truth is nowhere but themselves.

June 22, 2012 at 7:44 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Exactly, NJC.

June 22, 2012 at 7:44 pm |
    • EnjaySea

Well Elspeth, you just "slammed" me as well. Are Christians the only ones who get to air their opinions without being called arrogant?

June 22, 2012 at 9:34 pm |
    • Sam Yaza

well Elspeth P00p7 Pants if that is your real name,.. the golden rule came from Kong Fuzi an (Atheist) which which was brought over from the Shinto golden rule (love others as you love your self) which you cant really love others until you love your self,... and the idea of tolerance and acceptance is a Pagan ideal not a christian who are completely intolerant of eveething not in the bible or mention in the bible as evil,.. then when the rest of society seas it as right you change your opinion saying ether Christ died for it to go away or we interpreted it wrong

June 23, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
  4. Quiz For Atheists !

Has anyone ever heard of the "prominent" atheist blogger before?

June 22, 2012 at 7:17 pm |
    • 3rdy

never heard of her tbh!

June 22, 2012 at 7:26 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Nope. But I don't spend any time reading blogs on atheism so I can neither confirm nor deny her "prominence".

June 22, 2012 at 7:51 pm |
  5. p gibson

and this is OFFICIALLY none of OUR business...right..or shouldn't be unless you're considering medievil comments about a personal thing.

Just why is this news ? It's time people butt out of people's lives or just join the American version of the Taliban, or al Qeida so you can prove how meddlesome you CAN be.

June 22, 2012 at 7:16 pm |
  6. Edgar

Her reason is that morality is external from us? I beg your pardon. We have a thing called conscience which is innate. And the Catholic Church is not the most moral of churches with its well-known abuses.

June 22, 2012 at 7:13 pm |
  7. Scotaie

Methinks the lady has been a fifth columnist. An atheist? She never was. That's like saying an adult suddenly believes in Santa Claus. Religion is the greatest tragedy ever to befall mankind. So endeth the lesson. Amen.

June 22, 2012 at 7:09 pm |
    • Ting

Or maybe she still is an atheist. She has become Catholic to please her boyfriend and his family. There are many atheists that go to church to prevent rocking the boat. Some atheists are pastors.

June 22, 2012 at 7:23 pm |
    • The True Scotsman

Aye, you all just keep arguing if she was a true atheist or not. Tis very amusing.

June 22, 2012 at 7:38 pm |
    • Bet

There's a lot of pressure put on people to convert if their partner and future in-laws are religious.

In the catholic religion, you must both be catholic to be married in the catholic church. If you aren't, the church doesn't recognize your marriage, your children are considered bas.tar.ds, they can't be baptized, your spouse can be refused communion, last rites, a catholic funeral. These things are very important to catholics, so they will pressure the significant other to convert.

Catholics are not the only ones who do this, though. Many religions will not marry a couple of mixed beliefs. But an atheist? I'm sure they would expect the church to explode!

I don't know this girl, so I can't say that's the case here, but having grown up catholic, I've seen many, many "conversions" because half of the couple and their family insisted on it.

June 22, 2012 at 7:48 pm |
    • Bet

@ the true scotsman

Lol, gotta agree with you on that one, I guess neither side is immune from using fallacious arguments.

June 22, 2012 at 7:52 pm |
  8. kway

God bless!

June 22, 2012 at 7:07 pm |
  9. Sam Yaza

and you did this because of morality,.... why the fall, i mean Christianity is immoral

June 22, 2012 at 7:05 pm |
    • Sam Yaza

i mean their utterly intolerant,.... wait your not doing this for s3x are you,......hahahahahahahahahh,.. OK i played a Jew once so I'll let this go,.... just don't get compromised,... their lies are infectious ,.... but their all bigots,.. keep that in mind,.. and enjoy♥♥♥

June 22, 2012 at 7:13 pm |
    • Elspeth

Actually it's the "Christians" themselves that are immoral. The organization can neither be moral or immoral since it exists not without it's human actors. Since not ALL Christians are immoral it's offensive to paint Christianity with the one brush..,because immorality exists apart from organized religion. My boyfriend's ex-wife, a radical atheist, disowned her daughter when she was a teenager because she came out. Not exactly the conduct one would ascribe to a "moral" mother and this one disavowed all religion.

Personally I find "mom's" conduct morally reprehensible and I accept Jesus' teachings...which do not include condemning people becaue of who they love.

June 22, 2012 at 7:37 pm |
    • Sam Yaza

once again mister p00p7 pants your wrong,.. Christ in fact hate families Christians are told not to live in non believers house holds i bet the atheist parent did not disown the child but the child disowned them saying they wouldn't convert so i told them ether convert or i leave and the child runs around saying i was disowned because they wouldn't convert

June 23, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
  10. Tim Boyer

"The impossibility of conceiving that this grand and wondrous universe, with our conscious selves, arose through chance, seems to me the chief argument for
the existence of God."

Charles Darwin

June 22, 2012 at 7:02 pm |
    • Bet

Shall we provide the remaining part of that quote? You gave only half of the sentence.

" It is impossible to answer your question briefly; and I am not sure that I could do so, even if I wrote at some length. But I may say that the impossibility of conceiving that this grand and wondrous universe, with our conscious selves, arose through chance, seems to me the chief argument for the existence of God; but whether this is an argument of real value, I have never been able to decide. I am aware that if we admit a first cause, the mind still craves to know whence it came and how it arose. Nor can I overlook the difficulty from the immense amount of suffering through the world. I am, also, induced to defer to a certain extent to the judgment of the many able men who have fully believed in God; but here again I see how poor an argument this is. The safest conclusion seems to be that the whole subject is beyond the scope of man’s intellect; but man can do his duty.

With my best wishes for your success in life, I remain, dear Sir, | Yours faithfully | Ch. Darwin"

Christians always argue about context. Here's some context for you. Darwin was clearly not giving an answer either way.

In his autobiography, he says, "Another source of conviction in the existence of God, connected with the reason and not with the feelings, impresses me as having much more weight. This follows from the extreme difficulty or rather impossibility of conceiving this immense and wonderful universe, including man with his capacity of looking far backwards and far into futurity, as the result of blind chance or necessity. When thus reflecting I feel compelled to look to a First Cause having an intelligent mind in some degree analogous to that of man; and I deserve to be called a Theist.

This conclusion was strong in my mind about the time, as far as I can remember, when I wrote the Origin of Species; and it is since that time that it has very gradually with many fluctuations become weaker. But then arises the doubt–can the mind of man, which has, as I fully believe, been developed from a mind as low as that possessed by the lowest animal, be trusted when it draws such grand conclusions? May not these be the result of the connection between cause and effect which strikes us as a necessary one, but probably depends merely on inherited experience? Nor must we overlook the probability of the constant inculcation in a belief in God on the minds of children producing so strong and perhaps an inherited effect on their brains not yet fully developed, that it would be as difficult for them to throw off their belief in God, as for a monkey to throw off its instinctive fear and hatred of a snake.

I cannot pretend to throw the least light on such abstruse problems. The mystery of the beginning of all things is insoluble by us; and I for one must be content to remain an Agnostic."

If you are going to quote someone, at least include the entire quote, not just the part that you like.

June 22, 2012 at 7:21 pm |
    • Greg

I know it's hard for the religious not to quote mine (how else would you sleep at night if you accepted everything in that moral minefield called The Bible) but have the decency to post the entirety of Darwin's quote (which does not end with the full stop where you put it)...

the existence of God BUT whether this is an argument of real value, I have never been able to decide. I am aware that if we admit a first cause, the mind still craves to know whence it came and how it arose. Nor can I overlook the difficulty from the immense amount of suffering through the world. I am, also, induced to defer to a certain extent to the judgment of the many able men who have fully believed in God; but here again I see how poor an argument this is. The safest conclusion seems to be that the whole subject is beyond the scope of man’s intellect; but man can do his duty."

My capitals. Your fail.

June 22, 2012 at 7:22 pm |
    • TR6

Of course, in order to get published back then he had to pander to the Christians, just like politicians have to pander to them today if they want to get elected

June 22, 2012 at 7:23 pm |
  11. madonfan

Let's remember friends. Nobody should be Catholic, Jehovah, or Mormon. You should just be Christian. That is the only name the bible ever called us. The Holy Bible. No other books that go with it. That includes no sacraments. I am glad this woman at least is trying to really find God, but Catholicism definitely isn't the way to go about it. It's still bondage. Non-denominational. Way to go Leah! Welcome to the family of God!

June 22, 2012 at 7:00 pm |
  12. mike

humans are capable of making up religion. humans are more than capable of inventing morals, and the lightbulb.

June 22, 2012 at 7:00 pm |
    • TR6

So all of the thousands of religions and tens of thousands of god throughout history were real and not invented by man

June 22, 2012 at 8:00 pm |
  13. M

So she basically just switched from fantasy to reality. Welcome home, kid

June 22, 2012 at 6:57 pm |
    • Slurms McKenzie

You wrote that backwards.

June 22, 2012 at 7:05 pm |
    • Armaments, Chapter Two, Verses Nine to Twenty-One

Yeah, looking at the world and saying "this is what it is; everything works the way it appears, there is no hidden supernatural anything" is the fantasy, and "there is an invisible man who knows everything and controls everything, and he loves you so much that if you don't obey him, he will torture the crap out of you for the rest of eternity" is the reality.

R i i i i i i i i i i ght.

June 22, 2012 at 7:06 pm |
    • Scotaie

Oh dear, keep taking the pills.

June 22, 2012 at 7:10 pm |
    • M

No, anyone who believes man invented morality is living in a fantasy world. Clearly there is a first mover any anyone with half a brain can deduce that. So when you switch from worshipping man to worshipping God (as this girl did) you are definitely switching from fantasy to reality. Again, welcome home

June 22, 2012 at 7:17 pm |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

How exactly is Atheism fantasy? Atheism is a disbelief in god...it makes no further claims. Theists claim a god exists, they do so using this nifty book that feeds you the virus and offers the cure without a shred of evidence to back it. There is no scientific evidence that a god has ever existed and until you provide said evidence, reality is lost on you and you are living in a fantasy world.

June 22, 2012 at 7:25 pm |
    • sn0wb0arder

June 22, 2012 at 7:34 pm |
    • KRHODES

TruthPrevails

Atheism is a disbelief in God...it is also claiming an absolute negative which you and i both know cannot be proven.

"There is no scientific evidence that a god has ever existed and until you provide said evidence, reality is lost on you and you are living in a fantasy world."

Well your whole statement just came apart...now you are asking for proof. Why would God have to provide more evidence of his existence?

June 22, 2012 at 7:46 pm |
    • KRHODES

sn0wb0arder

"morality is a construct of society and evolves constantly. don't even bother to pretend that modern morality suddenly popped into existance from some divine providence. a very short study of history will prove to you that what has been considered moral over time has dramatically changed."

So basically you are saying that morality is subjective? Well if that is the case then morality simply is a word wiith no meaning and we can form our own morality as we see fit. I suppose you wouldn't object to what the nazis did because there is no moral objective for right and wrong?

June 22, 2012 at 7:49 pm |
    • Okey Dokey

Anyone with half a brain might deduce that despite a total lack of evidence or even hint that there is a prime mover. However, people with complete brains are a bit concerned that there is utterly no evidence at all, and that every last part of the enormous universe of evidence points to nothing other that a large physical system operating according to various laws and limitations, without any sign at all of supernatural control of manipulation.

In other words, if you had a whole brain instead of half a brain, you would realize that absolutely no evidence has every been found, from the tiniest subatomic particle to the astronomical expanses, that even remotely hints at the existence of a deity.

We do realize that half a brain is

June 22, 2012 at 7:56 pm |
  14. Lisa

I was an Atheist for 7 years and have become a Christian (again) in the last year. Best decision of my life. I know exactly where she's coming from.

June 22, 2012 at 6:56 pm |
    • Scotaie

An atheist for seven years? No you weren't. You've been an atheist all your life just like all 'relgious' people but just don't have the balls to admit it.

June 22, 2012 at 7:12 pm |
    • Leah Libresco, the most prominent atheist blogger you never heard of

So you converted because your boyfrind was Catholic too?

June 22, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
    • M

Welcome home , Lisa. The land of denial is a very lonely, cold, dark place as you well know. Glad to see you have returned to the light, where LOVE is objective. Lest we forget, there is no such thing as an "atheist." We are ALL hardwired from birth to seek and worship. Some choose to seek and worship God, others choose to seek and worship men and other vain pursuits. I'm truly blessed to be of the latter variety. Even a fool chooses to believe in God. Google "Pascal's wager" some time

June 22, 2012 at 7:22 pm |
    • M

I mean: the FORMER variety! ha! argh

June 22, 2012 at 7:23 pm |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

"We are ALL hardwired from birth to seek and worship."

That is complete and utter b.s! Everyone is born without a belief, otherwise everyone would be believing in your same god. Ignorant is about the most appropriate term for you. Prove your god damn god exists before sounding like an 5 year old.
      I would never give up disbelief for faith in god...I happen to care that what I believe in is backed with peer-reviewed evidence...you can't say the same...all you have to back you is a 2000 year old book that has never been updated. Some of you are hopeless and in need of some serious medication-you're imaginary friend is part of the accurate definition of signs of schizophrenia.

June 22, 2012 at 7:36 pm |
    • Elspeth

Scotland, your Christianity is showing. Clearly you MUST be a closet Christian "just like all the other" atheists.

My comment is as offensive as yours. If you want to BELIEVE that God doesn't exist without any proof whatsoever you go right ahead. But it is the height of arrogance and not socially acceptable to refuse to allow the rest of us to BELIEVE that God exists. And yes, your insistence that God doesn't exist is no more than a PERSONAL BELIEF. You can prove the lack of God's existence to me no more than I can prove the existence of God to you. In the real word we call that a stalemate. In court it's a mistrial. But regardless, your insistence is BELIEF not fact.

June 22, 2012 at 7:45 pm |
  15. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things,

June 22, 2012 at 6:55 pm |
    • sn0wb0arder

when faced with a problem it is better to have one man with a strong back and a sharp mind than one thousand men on their knees in prayer.

June 22, 2012 at 7:12 pm |
    • Scotaie

Yes, every child needs a Catholic priest in their life...
      And so prayer has put an end to child poverty? To disease? To earthquakes? To wars? To murders? To paedophilia? To serial killers? To parasites eating the eyeballs of children in Africa? To children being born with cancer?
      Do grow up.

June 22, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
    • tell the truth

@snowboarder
      tell it to Samson

June 22, 2012 at 7:43 pm |
    • Elspeth

There are several PEER REVIEWED and PUBLISHED medical studies that demonstrate that prayer...even when the person being prayed for is unaware of the fact, helps medical outcomes...prayer does change things...even if in the end medical science only proves that the collective conscience exists and that prayer effects the human body through unconsciencce connections between us all...

June 22, 2012 at 7:49 pm |
  16. Don

The question of god & morality are eternally internal. The same folks posting here telling this woman or anyone else they are crazy for believing in god or not believing in god are crazy to think they have the "answers" regarding god & morality and them pushing their posts on all of us is just as bad as catholics or atheists pushing their thoughts on us. Just as bad. Shut up all of you and look inward!!! Whatever you decide is your business and yours alone and not to be pushed down anyone's throat..Heal yourself and leave others to heal themselves...but leave them alone in their journey like YOU want to be left alone. What is with all of us?!??!!!!!??????

June 22, 2012 at 6:54 pm |
    • sam

Shut up Don.

June 22, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
    • sn0wb0arder

morality is a construct of society. it evolves continually.

June 22, 2012 at 7:13 pm |
    • M

Um, Christians are called to testify. If they don't, they are considered weak. No one is forcing anything down your throat bub. They're just testifying and sharing the GOOD NEWS of the gospel: REPENT and be SAVED. No, we will not keep our Gid in private where satan wants Him, we will keep him out front and in every conversation thank you

June 22, 2012 at 7:13 pm |
    • sn0wb0arder

don, if the religious did not continuously try to codify their beliefs into law, i might actually agree with you.

unfortunately, there is this misconception among the religious that the remainder of society is simply lacking the proper oppertunty to embrace their beliefs.

June 22, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
    • sn0wb0arder

opportunity

June 22, 2012 at 7:16 pm |
  17. Susan

"Top Atheist Blogger" ??? "Prominent Atheist Blogger"??? Exaggeration much?

June 22, 2012 at 6:48 pm |
    • The True Scotsman

Much more prominent than any of us.

June 22, 2012 at 7:40 pm |
  18. Anon

"Faith: Pretending to know things you don't know"
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp4WUFXvCFQ&w=640&h=390]

June 22, 2012 at 6:39 pm |
  19. Chris

I predict she'll become an Atheist again. And, eventually, a Christian.

June 22, 2012 at 6:38 pm |
    • Ernest Scribbler... writer of jokes

Apparently her values are totally dependant on her boyfriend's beliefs, so it depends on who she is dating at the moment.

June 22, 2012 at 6:53 pm |
  20. bubbles

atheism has killed the most in the past century alone.Power become a god and thus they acted upon that lust and killed over 100 million people.

Dont believe me? look up Stalin and Mao.Just a few people who were atheist that killed millions..

June 22, 2012 at 6:36 pm |
    • Anon

Ram a bible up your @$$.

June 22, 2012 at 6:38 pm |
    • bubbles

naaah

June 22, 2012 at 6:39 pm |
    • sam

Jesus, we've had that argument in here over and over, and it's never any less dull or less inaccurate. Come up with new material. All you've done in here so far is bait people.

June 22, 2012 at 6:43 pm |
    • bubbles

but its true

June 22, 2012 at 6:45 pm |
    • sam

Ok, bubbles. Whatever you say. There, now we can move on.

June 22, 2012 at 6:50 pm |
    • bubbles

cant take the truth?

June 22, 2012 at 6:52 pm |
    • John

what a ridiculous claim... how many people have died in the name of atheism? zero. How many people have died in the name of god? Countless millions over the course of two millenia. That Stalin killed many people had nothing to do with his atheism. That is the equivalent to saying he was a mass murderer because he had dark hair.

June 22, 2012 at 7:01 pm |
    • bubbles

didnt say in the name of.Said atheists killed millions..Seriously can you read?!

June 22, 2012 at 7:03 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@bubbles

You really don't understand what atheism is do you?

June 22, 2012 at 7:07 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

You know what bubbles, it's not true. This is Evangelical propaganda that you have accepted as faith, told to you by people who want to misrepresent history.

Sure the godless commies (Stalin and Mao) caused a terrible carnage and millions of people died because of them.

A large portion of the statistics people like to throw at Stalin include the soldiers of the Red Army fighting the Nazis with terrible cost. There were somewhere between 8.8M and 10.7M Soviet soldiers killed in WW2. Losses in the big red meat grinder were staggering. Stalin didn't kill these people. Good Christian Germans did.

The minions of Hitler (Catholic) and the divine Emperor (he was "God" himself) of J-pan caused millions of deaths too. Think of all those Kamikazi dying for their God by killing US servicement. The US indiscrimately killed 100s of 1000s of German and J-panese civilians in places like Dresden, Cologne, Tokyo, Hiroshima and Nagasaki. A number approaching 80M people (solidiers and civilians) died in WW2.

The minions of the good Christian Kings and Kaisers killed millions of people in WWI.

The Turks killed perhaps as many as 1.8M Armenians in an attempt at genocide during the WWI.

Please feel free to share your religious beliefs here, but if you insist on talking about history, then please read some first.

June 22, 2012 at 7:09 pm |
    • bubbles

yet the leaders were atheist who killed millions?

just shows its not religion(disproving what atheists believe) its man.

June 22, 2012 at 7:13 pm |
    • Insomniak

I'm assuming you're referring to the likes of Pol Pot, Stalin, the Kim dynasty, and the likes of them right? None of them were atheists, they believed that they were gods and all had their own cults of personality. An atheist rejects all gods, not just the Christian/Jewish/Muslim one (and yes, they are all the same one).

June 22, 2012 at 7:18 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@bubbles

When you understand what atheism is, then you'll understand why it's irrelevant.
      The real question is, can you put away what your preacher and apologists say atheism is and actually listen to a person who is an atheist?

June 22, 2012 at 7:18 pm |
    • Scotaie

Stalin was not an atheist. He had his own en suite private chapel in the Kremlin. Hitler was brought up a Catholic and was never excommunicated: he believed the fate of Germany lay in the hands of 'divine providence', hardly atheistic. Religion is a lie designed to manipulate and deceive.

June 22, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
    • sn0wb0arder

no one has ever been killed in the name of atheism. show me anywhere in the tenets of atheism that suggests or condones killing.

June 22, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
    • bubbles

they made themselves gods..dont you know anything?!

June 22, 2012 at 7:23 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Bubbles,

Stalin's gulag and peasant starvation is in the order of 7,000,000.
      The Christian Leopold II of Beligium (Christian) killed 8,000,000 Congolese between 1886 and 1908.
      President Richard Nixon has the responsibility for 70,000 Vietnamese and Cambodian citizens.

Religious leaders caused just as many deaths as atheists – except for one.

Mao is much higher. I have seen estimates in the range of 49-78,000,000, combining the cultural revolution and Tibet.

June 22, 2012 at 7:25 pm |
    • bubbles

they didnt believe in any gods or God but they MADE themselves gods.Power is a god.

June 22, 2012 at 7:26 pm |
    • bubbles

you must be confused.I already said atheists killing millions disproves its religion..thats what i meant.

June 22, 2012 at 7:28 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

His heavenly sovereign, Emperor Hirohito was a god – or so the J-panese thought during WW2.

June 22, 2012 at 7:30 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@bubbles,

you state "atheists killing millions disproves its religion" There are some words missing to make this a coherent sentence. It is impossible to understand what you mean. Please restate your thesis more clearly.

June 22, 2012 at 7:32 pm |