home
RSS
June 22nd, 2012

Prominent atheist blogger converts to Catholicism

By Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) – She went from atheist to Catholic in just over 1,000 words.

CNN's Belief Blog: the faith angles behind the big stories

Libresco’s announcement has left some atheists scratching their heads.

But while atheists were puzzled by the conversion, others commended Libresco.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

Libresco is just switching the side she thinks the facts are on.

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism • Catholic Church

soundoff (7,475 Responses)
  1. Mark Knaufler

**And the facts are ....? Noah's ark huh?**

June 23, 2012 at 2:27 am |
    • Blast Hardcheese

Don't forget talking snakes and donkeys! And an undead lich on whose body we must feed!

June 23, 2012 at 2:30 am |
    • Johnny Blammo

The facts are that Christian "personalities" make a LOT of money, far more than their atheist counterparts. For every John Stewart, there are 100 televangelists tagging down nice paychecks for babbling nonsense.

The fact is, Christians LOVE the "converted atheist" schtick, and will fall all over the place to throw money at her. She apparently even has bisexuality they can cure her of, so the income possibilities are staggering.

If she stays true to her values on homosexuality and contrception and the like, it will fall apart, but if she runs with the "Jesus saved me" angle, the income potential is awesome.

Deep down, I hope she stays true to her values.

June 23, 2012 at 2:35 am |
  2. wrong

hmm a stupid american atheist becomes a stupid american 'christian'... sounds about the same thing to me?

america does not exist.. so faith in geographical boundaries that take your money, put you in jail, and kill your kids..sounds about the same.

June 23, 2012 at 2:25 am |
    • Johnny Blammo

Get thee into rehab!

June 23, 2012 at 2:37 am |
  3. Sarfraz Khan

You have come back home, our Heavenly Father will bless you a lot, I hope others will follow your footsteps.

June 23, 2012 at 2:24 am |
    • Blast Hardcheese

I hope the heavenly father doesn't bless her like he blesses the 15,000,000 children who starve in Africa every year.

June 23, 2012 at 2:26 am |
  4. EuphoriCrest

Her reason for conversion is very curious. I've often wondered if the difference between atheists and deists is simply that atheists DO possess an innate moral compass while deists require an external source to guide their morality.

June 23, 2012 at 2:24 am |
  5. Mad Cow

Next month she'll convert to Pastafarianism.

June 23, 2012 at 2:23 am |
  6. Dan

Having read her blog post on why she converted it appears that she didn't know the answer to a question and instead of admitting she didn't know an answer she decided to believe someone else's answer.

I am an atheist and I accept that I don't know everything but that doesn't mean I have to pretend something that has no supporting evidence is true just because I am not omnipotent.

June 23, 2012 at 2:22 am |
  7. Atheists get out

burn in hell atheists!

June 23, 2012 at 2:22 am |
    • Blast Hardcheese

I think hell would be a neat place. All the cool people are there. I wish it existed!

June 23, 2012 at 2:25 am |
    • SlipNutz

Burn In Hell? I love people who contradict themselves. I'm so tired of ignorant people who say they are devoted Christians but are full of hate like you. Try reading the Bible. If you don't understand your own religion than you should probably just give up on life.

June 23, 2012 at 2:44 am |
  8. Mad Cow

The Flying Spaghetti Monster is the One True God. All others are cheap imitations.

June 23, 2012 at 2:21 am |
    • wrong

wait 'til your god meets the great parmigiana cheese chump..

June 23, 2012 at 2:22 am |
    • EuphoriCrest

Hail marinara, full of garlic, the pasta is with thee.
      Blessed art thou among sauces and blessed are the parmesan cheeses!

R'Amen brother

June 23, 2012 at 2:29 am |
  9. Markus

Begone, unperson.

June 23, 2012 at 2:21 am |
  10. HolySee

living in a fantasy can be quite pleasant.. you no longer have to search for the truth (or justice).
    The world is flat – science be damned!

June 23, 2012 at 2:20 am |
  11. Scott

Where does energy and mass come from? In order for mass and energy to exist, is there a specific environment for their creation? Are there certain parameters that need to be in place? I don't understand the concept of area or space, if nothing exists? Is there always more room? At some point, I believe there is no answer or explanation. When I look to stars, I know I am way over my head.

June 23, 2012 at 2:19 am |
    • Fluffy the Gerbil of Doom

doesn't mean you get to make up a story to explain it all just cuz today you haven't figgered it out yet.
      100 years ago a human seeing a jet fly over ... "oh a god"..

June 23, 2012 at 2:27 am |
    • Scott

I don't think that is what I said.Nor, was it my intention. I hope this is cathartic for you.

June 23, 2012 at 2:36 am |
  12. trojan horse

sounds like a trojan horse.. at least the catholic 'christians' accepted her... she wlill find herself in good company and not bad for her ratings... hmmm..

June 23, 2012 at 2:16 am |
  13. Kat

I hate being an atheist. Hopefully, in the future, everyone will be one so that no one is one.

June 23, 2012 at 2:15 am |
  14. SPW

She never really was an atheist then, more like a theist or agnostic.

June 23, 2012 at 2:13 am |
    • Evangelical

Aha! The no true scottsman fallacy that is always being waived in my face!

June 23, 2012 at 2:17 am |
    • SPW

An atheist denies completely the chance of a god or god(s), she obviously didn't deny that because now she's a Catholic.

So yeah, she was likely agnostic thinking she's atheist because she isn't actually part of a faith group and thus she doesn't believe in god, but in the back of her head she must have thought god existed in some shame or form, because you don't go from a vocal militant atheist to a catholic over night.

June 23, 2012 at 2:19 am |
    • theolo149

Not necessarily, atheists can believe that it is merely improbable that God exists, and theists can believe that it is merely probable that God exists. Plus one could change their mind given the influx of new information. You would be amazed at how much material there is on arguments for and against God's existence. Literally thousands of books and scholarly articles are out there, ripe for analysis by anyone and everyone, all you have to do is start reading. And she didn't change her mind over night she changed her mind over a number of years.

June 23, 2012 at 2:38 am |
  15. NorCalMojo

I'm not that surprised. The most militant atheists are usually skirting the borders faith. Religion still has a central role in their lives. I doubt blogging about atheism occurs to people who are secure in their disbelief.

June 23, 2012 at 2:12 am |
    • Evangelical

I think that the militant atheists are really trying to convince themselves along with the rest of us that they are right. They are not secure in their disbelief. Deep down inside they know God exists, but they want to rebel against Him because then they would have to take responsibility for their sins.

June 23, 2012 at 2:15 am |
    • tallulah13

Funny. I think that the more outspoken a christian is about how correct they are, the more they doubt what they claim to believe. I guess everybody has their own perception about actions of others.

June 23, 2012 at 2:45 am |
    • Bet

If you read her explanation of how and why she started her blog, it's pretty evident that she was skirting around the edges of religeousity even at the outset. Or, she could have started it with the idea of a "conversion" in mind. Christians eat that stuff up and she's probably already getting money thrown at her from all sides.

The catholic church is dying for some positive publicity. Who knows? Maybe a book deal, certainly the talk show circuit is probably in the works already.

June 23, 2012 at 3:02 am |
  16. Johnny

Atheists don't have the social network that religious people do. Most of the world is religious; atheists stand no chance, ESPECIALLY in public.

June 23, 2012 at 2:11 am |
    • Fluffy the Gerbil of Doom

Yes indeedy Johhny boy. Those flat earthers did so well.

June 23, 2012 at 2:13 am |
    • Lenny

That is OK we have science so it evens out.

June 23, 2012 at 2:15 am |
  17. Blane

I suppose I was wrong and there is hope for the damned after all. This woman now takes her place as a child of God.

June 23, 2012 at 2:11 am |
    • Fluffy the Gerbil of Doom

Yup, but a little earlly. Me, I'm a gonna wait until 5 minutes before I die, and say, "Oh I'm sorry I murdered 50 people, let me in, let me in". Jeebus' love and blood will save me.

June 23, 2012 at 2:16 am |
    • dimensio0

How have you established that the God in which she now holds belief is the correct God, and not actually a false God?

June 23, 2012 at 2:17 am |
  18. The great Atheismo

Traitor

June 23, 2012 at 2:11 am |
  19. gdp

I was never an atheist but a decade ago I turned by back on by christian convictions for a life of compulsive sin. After some gruesome consequences from my life choices I returned, like The Prodigal Son, to the Catholic Church and found, like never before, a beautiful new life. I am so sorry I lost those prime years of my life after falling for the seduction of lust. Never again!

June 23, 2012 at 2:10 am |
    • Fluffy the Gerbil of Doom

replacing one set of compulsive behaviors with another set, ain't necessarily a good thing.

June 23, 2012 at 2:17 am |
    • tallulah13

Hmm. My conversion to atheism consisted of nothing more radical than realizing my belief in a supernatural power was a fanciful habit I developed growing up in an area that was predominantly christian. I didn't become a bad person - I was raised to consider the consequences of my actions on myself and others. I simply realized that there was no real reason to believe in something for which there is no proof.

June 23, 2012 at 2:41 am |
  20. WF Caple

Anyone, atheist or religious, who says they know what happens after we die, and how creation started, is a liar or crazy.

June 23, 2012 at 2:08 am |
    • Evangelical

All these questions are answered in the Bible.

June 23, 2012 at 2:13 am |
    • Fluffy the Gerbil of Doom

All these questions are answered in Nancy Drew's "The Mystery in the Old Clock".

June 23, 2012 at 2:18 am |
    • Pass_the_Jam

In response to Evangelical, you are right. The bible answers all questions. Like who to stone and why to stone them. She ate shell fish.. stone her. Pretty simple life you live.

June 23, 2012 at 2:27 am |
    • Bet

Eva, why don't you save us the trouble of reading it and tell us the answers. Oh, right, because you don't know what the bible actually says most of the time. LOL!

June 23, 2012 at 3:03 am |