home
RSS
June 22nd, 2012

Prominent atheist blogger converts to Catholicism

By Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) – She went from atheist to Catholic in just over 1,000 words.

CNN's Belief Blog: the faith angles behind the big stories

Libresco’s announcement has left some atheists scratching their heads.

But while atheists were puzzled by the conversion, others commended Libresco.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

Libresco is just switching the side she thinks the facts are on.

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism • Catholic Church

soundoff (7,475 Responses)
  1. Snowdog

Amen. Way to go. Another person going into the Kingdom. God is real and changes lives. The proof that God exists is overwhelming.

June 23, 2012 at 5:36 am |
    • Krug Lamner

God changed me from being a Christian to being an atheist. I'm glad God finally help me realize he doesn't exist.

June 23, 2012 at 6:02 am |
    • Bob Loblaw

Funny how the Christians who talk about overwelming proof never supply even the slightest shred of it.

June 23, 2012 at 12:20 pm |
  2. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer really changes things

June 23, 2012 at 5:31 am |
  3. luke

Well long-time ago I was Catholic and now I'm atheist so the balance in the universe stay stable.

June 23, 2012 at 5:31 am |
    • truth be told

You never knew God and He has never known you, nothing changed except your faulty way of describing yourself and bottom line no one cares

June 23, 2012 at 5:33 am |
  4. Wow

Sounds a lot like a situation where she loved her boyfriend more than her common sense. Let's just all be happy he's not in Scientology.

June 23, 2012 at 5:08 am |
  5. Joel

I am a catholic about to become an atheist, if ever. I need to wait a year more to see for myself if it is not worth continuing to be a believer. After having read by accident three months ago the essay "Why I am not a Christian" by Bertrand Russell, I have begun to have doubts about the christian faith. Now I am reading this great philosopher with so much intense. To Leah Libresco, if you want to prove to us you are sincere with you new found faith, then stay away from the limelight. Real humility is between God and the soul. Do good and disappear.

June 23, 2012 at 4:56 am |
    • Frank

Thats exactly why I became a Muslim.My name is Muhammad now.I am American from Columbus Georgia.
      SONG OF SONGS chapter number 5 verse number 16 , look it up in the ORIGINAL LANGUAGE not in some translation and you will see why. "..... his language is sweet and his name is Mohammad " .....

June 23, 2012 at 5:09 am |
    • luke m-t

you can't decide to be a believer or not. if you're considering becoming atheist then you already are.

July 16, 2012 at 8:03 am |
  6. guest

So, she picked Catholicism because one needs a moral compass. Hmmm... so that means she didn't pick Catholicism because she believes Jesus is the son of God, because she believes Mary is the virgin mother of Jesus, because she believes in the Holy Trinity, etc.

June 23, 2012 at 4:46 am |
    • Valorie

This isn't passing the "smell" test, is it? I am sure there is a brilliant analogy I can't think of, but you can't go from Atheist to Catholic in 1000 words or less. I call bull shift.

June 23, 2012 at 5:17 am |
  7. GenericMan

"Catholic boyfriend"

June 23, 2012 at 4:42 am |
    • Jamie

There's your explanation.

June 23, 2012 at 4:48 am |
  8. Humanist11

I guess she will have to relearn why she chose atheism in the first place. We all need reminders from time to time. She'll be back.

June 23, 2012 at 4:33 am |
    • Linda Lacelove

Yeah. Bisexual gay rights activist in Catholicism. She set herself up for a doozy of a bad trip.

June 23, 2012 at 4:37 am |
  9. Simple

I am not surprised if she's a catholic undercover going public for propaganda.

June 23, 2012 at 4:32 am |
    • Brandon

Either that or for "love". The morality bit doesn't make any sense, most atheists are horrified that religious people's morality comes from the fear of Hell instead of just genuinely wanting to be a good person.

June 23, 2012 at 4:43 am |
  10. MISTER FOX

She jumps from not believing in God to believing in only one specific God.

how did she make than deduction.

usually most people curious about religion would check out Buddhism and cult religions first.

June 23, 2012 at 4:26 am |
    • mnsundevil

Mister Fox, the primary monotheist religions Judaism, Christianity (which Catholicism is a part of) and Islam worship the same God. They just tend to disagree on some of the fine print.

June 23, 2012 at 4:33 am |
    • Pedigool

The fine print including that each thinks the other two are wrong and doomed to hell. Trivial details like that.

June 23, 2012 at 4:35 am |
  11. cacalips

WOW does that mean I should change? What is the message? That athiests are wrong? I dont know her, and ,y dad quit smoking, which is X100 more hard than her dumb brain confusion. But My dad doesnt get on the news... That must mean this is 100 Propoganda bull or the media has lost touch with news worthy material.

June 23, 2012 at 4:21 am |
    • Pedigool

It means that confused chickypoos straight out of college are not the best source of intellectual depth.

June 23, 2012 at 4:33 am |
  12. Brian

I'm not too concerned. Her boyfriend must be really good in bed. I mean, if i were a chick, and I looked like that, and someone were to still give it to me good, I'd change faiths. Let's be real. We're all individuals, and even atheists, like Leah, would change their belief for a good man. But then again, it goes to show you how much she cares about the world as opposed to herself.

June 23, 2012 at 4:19 am |
  13. Rolph Eczema

Being a bisexual gay rights activist who is staunchly for contraceptives and religious freedom, and then choosing to become Catholic thinking she is still going to be a bisexual gay rights activist who is staunchly for contraceptives and religious freedom . . . Having gay rights and birth control as part of her morality system, then deciding that "There was one religion that seemed like the most promising way to reach back to that living Truth" of morality . . . which is Catholicism . . .

Okay, I have to swear . . . HOW FUCKING CLUELESS CAN YOU GET?!?!?!

June 23, 2012 at 4:18 am |
  14. matt

I have this strange feeling that this was orchestrated (by corrupt and unscrupulous people, not by some divine design).

But whatever – one less person to compete against for Sunday brunch. I'm going to get the waffles.

June 23, 2012 at 4:08 am |
  15. LiarsForJesus

Tyrant propaganda..

June 23, 2012 at 3:54 am |
    • LiarsForJesus

I have reasonable arguments that Mitt Romney is a prophet from the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

June 23, 2012 at 3:57 am |
    • Rolph Eczema

I thought Romney was a muppet with incompetent puppeteers.

June 23, 2012 at 4:05 am |
  16. LOL

It is probably more like twelve words that caused her to convert to Catholicism:

"I am not going to marry you unless you convert to Catholicism."

June 23, 2012 at 3:52 am |
    • Roger

Actually, it was "My mommy says I can't marry you until you become Catholic."

June 23, 2012 at 3:55 am |
  17. LiarsForJesus

Why should anyone listen to deepities (Arguments that have no substance yet seem profound) in favor of Christianity when the highest form of virtue in this cult is lying to yourself?

June 23, 2012 at 3:46 am |
    • Roger

You were just dying to use the word "deepity" in a sentence, weren't you? I personally just fester for the chance to say truthy.

June 23, 2012 at 3:54 am |
    • hey

there's something hinky about you two

June 23, 2012 at 3:56 am |
    • Rolph Eczema

My favorite is "defenestration", which is very hard to work into a sentence these days. It means to throw somebody out of a window. People get touchy about that for some reason . . .

Actually, it comes from religion, where Christian factions in Prague twice threw each other out of high windows.

Makes you nostalgic for the good ond days, doesn't it?

June 23, 2012 at 4:03 am |
    • I wonder

Reminds me of our resident Jabberwocky and stream-of-consciousness neologist, @Serpent something something and other outre, psychedelic monikers. I wonder where he's been lately?

June 23, 2012 at 4:38 am |
  18. hey

On the front page their calling her the TOP ATHEIST BLOGGER!

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU CNN??

SHE IS NOT A TOP ATHEIST BLOGGER!!!! WHAT THE HELL????

June 23, 2012 at 3:44 am |
    • Mark From Middle River

Same thing we Christians say when CNN editors post articles and say that some pastor from some small town with a small congregation is a major Christian Pastor in American society.

June 23, 2012 at 4:08 am |
    • tallulah13

It would be really nice if CNN could simply be honest about these things on both sides of the equation.

June 23, 2012 at 4:24 am |
    • Triskaidekaphobia

Tallulah

I just wish you're not one of those who cheered HURRAY! when "CNN editors post articles and say that some pastor from some small town with a small congregation is a major Christian Pastor in American society"

June 23, 2012 at 6:17 am |
    • tallulah13

Trisk, I don't stand up and cheer for any of that. It is my opinion that religion is a matter of personal choice. I only object to religion when people use it as an excuse to create laws that discriminate against others, or when people lie about the the substance of their belief, or the character of people who don't believe the same things they do.

June 23, 2012 at 1:14 pm |
  19. Pope Darth XVI

Welcome to the dark, uh, Catholic side, Leah.

June 23, 2012 at 3:44 am |
  20. anon

Unfortunately for many Americans their religion is Government and they fall lock step in line with what they are told to believe. Any why not? The poor are pandered to and given handouts to keep them dependent. Those less inclined to search for answers have been taught to be that way through government schools. Why would anyone question what a teacher says? (a teacher that gained their education in a leftist led academic environment and a teacher in a lefties led union, a union with an agenda). Anyway, we are slowly being taught that the old God is dead... and that the new God and it's religion is here to help...Government is your new religion. Welcome to 2012, slaves.

June 23, 2012 at 3:43 am |
    • Roger

Oh, what sad times are these when passing libtards can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history.

June 23, 2012 at 3:48 am |
    • tallulah13

Ekke Ekke Ekke Ekke Ptangya Ziiinnggggggg Ni!!!!!!

June 23, 2012 at 4:26 am |