home
RSS
June 22nd, 2012

Prominent atheist blogger converts to Catholicism

By Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) – She went from atheist to Catholic in just over 1,000 words.

CNN's Belief Blog: the faith angles behind the big stories

Libresco’s announcement has left some atheists scratching their heads.

But while atheists were puzzled by the conversion, others commended Libresco.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

Libresco is just switching the side she thinks the facts are on.

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism • Catholic Church

soundoff (7,475 Responses)
  1. Answer

Let us remind the religious of this story. To keep them in line.

"Unbelieving preachers get help to 'come out' as open atheists – June 13th, 2012"

June 23, 2012 at 10:34 pm |
    • TheCapitalist

Yeah? And according to your logic... they "learned the truth" and "got educated"... which led them to become atheists...

Whereas the atheist that converts to Christianity... does so "because he's ALWAYS been a secret-Christian", or because "he hated God as a child but came back around"... hypocrites...

June 23, 2012 at 10:48 pm |
  2. Answer

Let's go and remind the religious of this older story to get the same effect.

June 23, 2012 at 10:31 pm |
  3. garrettspeaks

Wonderful, I mean who else would expect someone who is capable of thought to start believing in fairy tales about a nomadic desert-dwelling people one of which bore a male baby who was his own father and died for problems created by himself and now is magically eaten and drunk during Holy Cannibali...Communion. Not I! I have way to much reason, evidence, and rationality to ever believe such nonsense. Good for her being able to make a decision, but I wonder how much of this is actually due to her boyfriend being a Catholic.

So there you go Christians, you get one prominent Atheist (who I've never heard about before), we still have the Clergy Project taking lots of your pastors. 🙂

June 23, 2012 at 10:29 pm |
    • TheCapitalist

Wow... "taking lots of your pastors"... you're really passionate about converting people to your atheist religion.

June 23, 2012 at 10:31 pm |
      • garrettspeaks

"atheist religion" lol

By definition (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/religion) atheism could be nothing but the fourth definition, which could apply to anything.

Which means I guess Cat Lovers are now a religion, Athletes now pretty much worship the weights they lift, and Gumby is now a patron saint of something or another.

June 23, 2012 at 10:35 pm |
    • TheCapitalist

Your argument is in inherent contradiction to yourself and your professed beliefs. Based on your logic... all "gods" are inanimate and "not real", right? Therefore, how is it far-fetched to conclude that someone could worship the "god" of their pack of cigarettes, according to YOUR logic? Therefore, according to YOUR logic... whatever atheists worship, or serve, is their "god"...

Atheists worship mankind, self, and its achievements, through the power of science, reason, and intellect, whose prophets are Darwin, Dawkins, and Hitchens...

June 23, 2012 at 10:42 pm |
      • garrettspeaks

Actually they don't worship it. Atheists who are humanists as well can exalt and exhort humanity but are they "worshiping" it?

Using YOUR logic we can make worship a pointless act just by the fact that anything you focus on or serve with YOUR logic makes it into a religious.

By that logic worship is worthless, so don't do it.

June 24, 2012 at 8:17 pm |
    • Tarzan

Tarzan like communion. Tarzan think blood tasty.

June 23, 2012 at 10:46 pm |
    • Know What

TheCapitalist,

It seems as if some people have sort of a "worship" fetish... others can appreciate, esteem, enjoy, utilize and learn from people and things without it being "worship".

We have a basic need to breathe - we must do it to survive. Do we "worship" air and breathing?

June 23, 2012 at 10:53 pm |

Know What...

Do we worship air and breathing? Do we think about it? Do we focus on it and set our affection on it? Is it the center of our world? Do we spend our money on it? Do we tell others about it? Do we serve it? Do we adjust our behavior because of "air and breathing"? No.

June 23, 2012 at 11:07 pm |
    • Know What

TheCapitalist,

Any of those to excess and it's an obsession.

June 23, 2012 at 11:29 pm |
  4. The Deist

Christians (Catholic or otherwise) didn't corner the market on morality. People know the difference between right and wrong without a Bible. This is a lame excuse.

June 23, 2012 at 10:23 pm |
    • TheCapitalist

Do people know the difference?

It used to be that killing was wrong, nowadays it's OK "if you don't want the baby".

It used to be that stealing was wrong, nowadays it's OK "as long as he's rich enough".

Nowadays, morality is addressed in terms of "empathy" or doing "what you FEEL is right"... but morality is OBjective, not SUBjective, and God is the One to let us know what that morality is... not what you "think"...

June 23, 2012 at 10:29 pm |
    • Really

Here's an idea. What say we go back to using the Bible version of morality and get back to stoning our children?

June 23, 2012 at 10:52 pm |
  5. Schadenfreudean Psychologist

This is rich. If Leah can't find an extra "moral compass" going to waste among the Catholic bishops - With GPS, who uses them anymore, anyway? - maybe she can get Jerry Sandusky to loan her his!

June 23, 2012 at 10:19 pm |
  6. formerFundamentalist

@TheCapitalist is exhibiting the Dunning-Kruger effect, @thecollegeadmissionsguru. I suggest you let him/her go back to arguing whether Batman or Superman is the one true superhero.

June 23, 2012 at 10:13 pm |
    • Answer

I've always had Superman in my view. No need for further argument. Case closed.

June 23, 2012 at 10:17 pm |
    • TheCapitalist

It seems that you are reflecting the Dunning-Kruger effect far more than I am. I've listened to both points of view with an open mind, whereas you have not. No amount of logic or reason can persuade you against your illogical belief system. Any evidence must fit your pre-conceived narrative, and anything that doesn't, you toss aside as "stupid". Atheists are the definition of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

June 23, 2012 at 10:19 pm |
  7. twaddington

Something stinks about this. Either she's the kind of woman who latches onto the beliefs/ interests of her current partner or it was a ruse to begin with.

June 23, 2012 at 10:13 pm |
    • Answer

Most of us have thought of the same – so it proves that most of these types of stories are just the feel good stories for christian consumption. Meanwhile we atheists look at them and laugh at their religious antics.

June 23, 2012 at 10:16 pm |
    • bubbles

atheist leaves cult,cult members not happy,cult members than make fun of ex-cult member.

June 23, 2012 at 10:20 pm |
  8. Atheist?

OMG sware to god he is not an Athiest?

Well God Bless him! :-0

June 23, 2012 at 10:07 pm |
  9. howart Dao

Atheists have freedom of choices. Sadly not for XTians, Mzlims

June 23, 2012 at 10:06 pm |
  10. Star Performer

You love your keyboard!
    You love your internet connection!
    You love this blog space!
    Just get on with it!
    Just remember this ...
    CONCISE IS NICE!

June 23, 2012 at 9:54 pm |
    • Answer

So boring people is your job. Glad someone chose this route.

June 23, 2012 at 10:01 pm |
  11. Star Performer

We play with each other's emotions here!
    We enjoy playing with our emotions!
    Did you enjoy playing with our emotions like me?

June 23, 2012 at 9:52 pm |
  12. b4bigbang

@thecollegeadmissionsguru and others: "Christmas was originally the Pagan celebration of the Winter Solstice".

It is a fact that Christians have squatted upon and absconded with holidays which were originally pagan. This in no way demeans Christianity in my opinion however. The proper way to understand this phenomenon is to look back to the 1st and 2nd centuries and imagine, based on history, what was happening to Mediterranean societies. During that time, massive numbers of Pagans were converting to Christianity in a relatively short period of time. When the rest of the pagans would be celebrating a holiday, the recent converts would no doubt be asking themselves and their leaders "what are we to do? We cant celebrate Saturn or other gods, but we're part of society and our pagan friends are celebrating. So over time, as more and more pagans converted to Christianity, they obviously decided to continue celebrating these occasions, yet by re-assigning Christian meanings to them. As the world transitioned from pagan to Christian the process merely accelerated until the modern age.
    No big deal.

June 23, 2012 at 9:46 pm |
    • Answer

Sure right.

Say anything to fuel your own desire to defend your delusions. Let us know when your 'theory' or empty praises for your faith actually meet up with the real facts. Not just your own little interpretations that you want to use to hide your disgusting religion behind.

June 23, 2012 at 9:55 pm |
  13. thecollegeadmissionsguru

Well, I had a bit of fun... would have been a better debate if someone had brought some intellect to the conversation. Can't have the best all the time. And, if you are offended by that statement, then YOU know who I'm talking to, if you are not offended, then you have a bit of an intellect.

People, I encourage you to READ actual books, written by people who are far more learned than you and I. Don't just swallow the nonsense you are fed each Sunday, take the time to investigate all sides of the argument. I promise you, I have and I probably know more about the bible and Christianity than MOST Christians. I wasn't always an Atheist.

Read science books, learn about the cosmos, have someone explain physics, and quantum mechanics to you. You god is shrinking, there will be no more gaps for him to fill in, eventually.

June 23, 2012 at 9:31 pm |

LOL...

If ya' can't beat 'em, call 'em stupid...

June 23, 2012 at 9:44 pm |
    • DearbornGuy

I agree. Let's read books written by brilliant people, much smarter than we! How about we all start with "Jesus of Nazareth," written by Pope Benedict, one of the foremost theologians in the world?

June 23, 2012 at 11:38 pm |
  14. ways to raise money fast

Thanks a lot for sharing this with all folks you really recognize what you're speaking approximately! Bookmarked. Please also talk over with my site =). We could have a hyperlink exchange arrangement between us

June 23, 2012 at 9:21 pm |
  15. thecollegeadmissionsguru

@Jay... I said that I don't have a problem with other's beliefs, I did not say that I agree with it. I can assure you that what I call you god is often far less angry and less ugly than what Christians say about me as an Atheist.

June 23, 2012 at 9:17 pm |
  16. b4bigbang

@The Capitalist: "There is also another aspect, whereby non-Christians pretend to be Christian so as to distort Christianity. I mean c'mon! Look at these atheists latching onto "Hitler's christianity", when they know perfectly well that no Christian would refer to Hitler as "good Christian". It is a tool of the enemy."

Exactly. I believe the short colloquialism for this phenomenon is 'poisoning the well'.

June 23, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
    • thecollegeadmissionsguru

So by YOUR thought, Hitler was an atheist because YOU say so. Well, no self respecting Atheist would claim that Hitler was a TRUE Atheist, either...

June 23, 2012 at 8:57 pm |
    • b4bigbang

@thecollegeadmissionsguru: Were you replying to my post re the possibility of Hitler being an atheist or someone else? I dont think i said or insinuated that – if i did i certainly didnt mean to.
      No, my research has turned up the fact that Hitler was in fact an adherent to a strange mixture of old Teutonic paganism mixed with Hinduistic belief in reincarnation, New Age, belief, relicism, etc.
      In fact, i read somewhere that the Nazis taught that they were doing the Jews a favor by killing them, they idea being that their suffering at the hands of the Nazis would allow them to reincarnate into a higher life-form.
      Certainly not Christian!

June 23, 2012 at 9:23 pm |
    • thecollegeadmissionsguru

Nope, I just misunderstood is all, my apologies... well said by the way.

June 23, 2012 at 9:25 pm |
    • DearbornGuy

b4bigbang – if we read through these posts, we see how many people buy into "Hilter's Christianity," or "Hitler was a Catholic" comments. Truth was, Hitler never took the sacraments after his childhood, and killed many priests along the way. Doesn't sound like a Christian or Catholic to me.

June 24, 2012 at 12:03 am |
  17. Evangelical

The fundamental moral question is whether we are ready for judgment.

June 23, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
    • b4bigbang

Yes, especially seeing as how 'judgement begins in the house of God'.
      The judgement of the Christian will be infinitely better than the world's however....

June 23, 2012 at 8:56 pm |
    • JWT

The question is are YOU ready for judgement – it does not apply to everyone.

June 23, 2012 at 9:37 pm |
    • b4bigbang

JWT: "The question is are YOU ready for judgement – it does not apply to everyone."

Oh? How so? Please elaborate.

June 23, 2012 at 10:00 pm |
    • Answer

Small minds want others to believe their crock. Hence it is a personal judgement.

June 23, 2012 at 10:03 pm |
    • JWT

Its your belief system BB not mine. Thus you need to be ready for judgement, not me. The theories – or facts if you prefer – of you rsystem do not apply to people who do not believe the same as you do.

June 24, 2012 at 5:58 am |
  18. thecollegeadmissionsguru

I do have to wonder, however, why CNN doesn't do stories on former Christians who finally see the light and disavow the ancient religions. It's actually not that uncommon for atheists to return to a church at some point in their lives, particularly IF they were raised in a Christian home. The influence of the church in the lives of children is profound and sad. It is a bit more interesting that this young lady was reared in a secular home; but hey, my two sons were raised in an atheist home and have chosen to follow Christianity.

June 23, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
    • TheCapitalist

Maybe you should listen to your sons...

June 23, 2012 at 8:49 pm |
    • thecollegeadmissionsguru

Why would I listen to my sons? Because they chose to believe in a Bronze Aged God, who was fashioned from no fewer than 12 other deities? Or because YOU say I should and so far you have proven yourself to be quite the thinker.

June 23, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
    • TheCapitalist

Do you mock your sons for "being quite the thinkers" in the same way?

The truth is the truth, regardless of your opinion... if your sons believe in God while you don't, then they are closer to the truth than you... "even the devils believe, and tremble."

June 23, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
    • thecollegeadmissionsguru

Sure. Dude. Sure..... actually, I don't "mock" them, well not to their faces. I do have my worries that they, like you, are wasting your one true life away on Nonsense. I actually don't talk to them much about religion, that's their thing, not mine. As I said, to each his own, you have your right to believe as you do and thankfully, I have my right to NOT believe if I chose not to. Ain't America Grand?

June 23, 2012 at 9:02 pm |
    • TheCapitalist

How are they "wasting" anything?

If they're wrong... what are they losing? If you're wrong, what are you losing?

June 23, 2012 at 9:05 pm |
    • thecollegeadmissionsguru

Ahhh, so far you have committed two classic Christian appologetic mistakes. One, you have attacked ME personally not my atheism, secondly, you are now bringing up Pascal's Wager, Classic.

Ok, here goes. IF god exists and is omnipotent and omniscient, do you think I could "fool" him into thinking I believe when in my mind I KNOW he does not exist? No, you look at the whole faith thing all wrong. What you are wasting is a lot of time and energy on being angry at others, hating anyone who isn't JUST LIKE YOU, and waiting to die so you can gather your reward in heaven... all the while you are missing out on a wonderful life, right here, on this planet. Sad actually.

June 23, 2012 at 9:12 pm |

thecollegeadmissionsguru...

How have I attack YOU personally at all? I have done no such thing... but YOU, HAVE called me a "nutjob" and many other unflattering things. If I ridicule atheism... it does not equate to ridiculing you personally. Remember, God hates the sin, but loves the sinner. I hate the atheism, but love the atheist.

With regards to Pascal's Wager... I did not reference it so as to "convince" you to convert, did I? You are absolutely right that you cannot fool God. But I referenced Pascal's Wager with regards to your statement that your sons are "wasting their lives"... and in that sense... it is completely applicable.

June 23, 2012 at 9:27 pm |
    • thecollegeadmissionsguru

Let's see I believe you said All Atheists were communists, that we all go in a tizzy about Christmas, et al. Also, you are an angry person, angry at atheists for having a different opinion than you, angry because we feel that everyone should have the opportunity to be equal, and I personally believe that your stand on women's rights is neaderthal by itself. I wish you well, as I said originally, what you believe in private is your own, what you spout in public and want to force me to accept, is an entirely different subject.

June 23, 2012 at 9:36 pm |

thecollegeadmissionsguru...

Yeah... like I said... ridiculing the atheism... not you. I never called you "crazy" or "stupid"... unlike you.

All the "angry" accusations are just a childish outburst on your part, whereby you are essentially saying, "Shut up ya' big poopey-head!"... GOOD ONE!

June 23, 2012 at 9:42 pm |
  19. TheCapitalist

And the link between atheism and communism is further seen in our modern-day politics.

Atheists overwhelmingly vote for political parties that represent big government, social engineering, redistribution of wealth, abortion, and an overall debasing of religion, generally.

If you atheists are any different from communists, then why do you always vote the same way as the communists?

June 23, 2012 at 8:42 pm |
    • thecollegeadmissionsguru

Wow, make sweeping generalizations often? I can tell you that MOST of the atheists I know, myself included, normally vote for the Democratic party has little to do with communism. For myself, I support things like CHOICE, separation of church and state, women's rights, universal healthcare, etc. I do believe that as a nation we will be in trouble if we do not pay some attention to the ever growing gap in wealth in this country, government is VITAL to a healthy nation, and supporting a woman's right to chose is NOT a communist decision.

June 23, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
    • TheCapitalist

The Democratic Party is the communist party of America.

"Separation of church and state" = suppression of the church in the public square = atheist
      "Universal health care" = redistribution of wealth = communist
      "Women's rights" = feminism = redistribution of wealth = communist
      "CHOICE" = abortion = low respect for life = "population control" = communist

June 23, 2012 at 9:10 pm |
    • thecollegeadmissionsguru

TheCapitalist

The Democratic Party is the communist party of America.

"Universal health care" = redistribution of wealth = communist
      "Women's rights" = feminism = redistribution of wealth = communist
      "CHOICE" = abortion = low respect for life = "population control" = communist

Separation of Church and State = the LAW of the land.
      Universal health care was actually a Republican Idea before Obama. Also, go speak to the Nuns on the Bus or Mother Teresa.
      Women's right – I'll not touch that one, you have obviously some rather antiquated ideology about women, I pity your wife if you are married.
      Abortion/Choice = the LAW of the Land.

Your arguments are childish, low brow, and intellectually dishonest.

June 23, 2012 at 9:22 pm |
    • TheCapitalist

"The law of the land" is based on atheist principles... which was my point. Just because something becomes law does not make it "right", as you atheists are all too quick to point out when referencing "Don't ask, don't tell" or something. You trying to reference "it's the law of the land" is a cop out, period.

Universal health care IS based in communism regardless of what some politician with an "R" slapped on his chest said years ago. A Republican can claim to be against communism, while still perpetrating it, which unfortunately happens all too often.

Feminism was financed by the CIA with the intention of "taxing the other half of the population" and "getting children into pre-school at a younger age so as to indoctrinate them"... there is nothing about "women's rights" involved... that is just the excuse. "Women's studies" teaches that a man holding a door open for a woman is "oppression", for goodness' sake... think!

June 23, 2012 at 9:38 pm |
    • JWT

Can you also tell us who really shot JFK now ?

And really what did happen at Roswell ?

June 23, 2012 at 9:55 pm |

JWT...

It's not a conspiracy... evidence shows our government funded Ms. Magazine and feminism, generally...

June 23, 2012 at 10:00 pm |
    • JWT

If so it just shows that the governement can do something right.

June 24, 2012 at 6:00 am |
  20. thecollegeadmissionsguru

To each His or Her own. IF this young lady wants to search for god, then I have nothing but hope for her. As an atheist, I really don't care what others profess to believe, I only worry when that "faith" begins to creep into my life and my ability to live said life in a peaceful and meaningful way. Religion is and should be a very personal thing, the problem I have with religious people is that many seek to impose their system of belief on everyone around them. While I certainly hold some very strong personal ideas about religion, and I am open to debate anyone concerning those, I do not criticize others for following the bronze sky daddy, not at all.

June 23, 2012 at 8:32 pm |
    • TheCapitalist

do you the collegeadmissionsguru?

Do you support Obama forcing Christians to pay for the abortions of others? How would you like it if you were forced to pay to build churches?

You atheists talk a big "live and let live" game... but you are far from living it. A freakin' Christmas billboard throws you all in a tizzy... "live and let live"... please...

June 23, 2012 at 8:47 pm |
    • thecollegeadmissionsguru

See YOU, my friend, are a classic example of why most Atheist believe that Christians are NUTJOBS. I happen to LOVE Christmas, particularly because it was originally a Pagan Holiday (Winter Solstice) I do take a bit of an exception to your tone, mainly because you don't know me or anything about me. You are making an ad hominem attack, and a sweeping generalization of atheists. Been angry long?

June 23, 2012 at 8:51 pm |

thecollegeadmissionsguru...

Why can you make sweeping generalizations about Christians being nutjobs? I'm fully aware that not EVERY atheist hates Christmas, but the "atheist movement" certainly does. Your attempts to conflate the two are simply the regurgitation of a deception.

June 23, 2012 at 9:03 pm |
    • Jay

You say you don't criticize people for their beliefs, but then right afterward you say "bronze sky daddy" instead of "god." It's not a direct criticism, but it definitely gives a condescending tone towards those with religious beliefs, which really doesn't fit right after you just said.

June 23, 2012 at 9:04 pm |
    • thecollegeadmissionsguru

@Capital, do you deny that Christmas was originally the Pagan celebration of the Winter Solstice? I am starting to wonder if you have read Anything about history or Christianity other than what you are fed at Church.

June 23, 2012 at 9:15 pm |

thecollegeadmissionsguru...

I am aware that there was A pagan holiday that celebrated the winter solstice... and I'm sorry to disappoint you if you thought you had me beat on your "Jeopardy!" question.

But YOU are UNaware that despite the similarities... Christmas is a different holiday based on different premises. And if someone comes up with a 3rd holiday also celebrated on December 25th... it does not automatically mean that it was copied from Christmas.

June 23, 2012 at 9:48 pm |