home
RSS
June 22nd, 2012

Prominent atheist blogger converts to Catholicism

By Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) – She went from atheist to Catholic in just over 1,000 words.

CNN's Belief Blog: the faith angles behind the big stories

Libresco’s announcement has left some atheists scratching their heads.

But while atheists were puzzled by the conversion, others commended Libresco.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

Libresco is just switching the side she thinks the facts are on.

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism • Catholic Church

soundoff (7,475 Responses)
  1. endtimenewsdigest

A woman represents a church in Bible prophecy, and anyone converting to Christianity should read Revelation 17 with an open mind for clues of which church not to join. Hint: Rome is a city of seven hills.

June 25, 2012 at 5:47 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

If only I was the antichrist!

June 25, 2012 at 5:55 pm |
    • Is the Lake of Fire near the Candy Cane Forest?

Too bad that Revelation is referring to Imperial Rome and Nero, but you can have whatever happy little fantasy you want. That"s all religion is anyway.

Honestly, Revelation is a sanity test. If you actually believe all the intensely insane stuff it predicts, then you are severely sanity-challenged.

June 25, 2012 at 6:07 pm |
    • Steve

Particulary troubling is the way that Rome has pandered to (committed fornication with) pagan religions (Mystery Babylon) for over 2,000 years. The Vatican is filled with Baal worship symbology. Should we talk about the way she has changed the calendar and holy days (times and seasons). I wonder how many people realise that the Vatican actually created Islam???

June 25, 2012 at 6:30 pm |
    • Think-About-It

" Revelation is a sanity test. If you actually believe all the intensely insane stuff it predicts, then you are severely sanity-challenged"

Honey, if you live long enough, you'll have your sanity tested! And it ain't gonna be a false alarm.... and that ain't no joke!

June 25, 2012 at 9:54 pm |
    • Think-About-It

"I wonder how many people realise that the Vatican actually created Islam???"
      Yeah, and now is "bedding" it!

June 25, 2012 at 9:57 pm |
  2. Fufu

Atheist must believe in the innocence, or at least lack of guilt, of Jerry Sandusky. There is no way to prove scientifically that he is guilty, only witness testimony. The existence of God has millions more witnesses than the accusers of Jerry Sandusky. I assume all you atheist think Sandusky is not guilty.

June 25, 2012 at 5:19 pm |
    • Fufu

There is no video, auditory or otherwise proof that Sandusky is a pedofile, therefore his pedophilia does not exist.

June 25, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

If you can figure out how stupid your comments are, I'm not going to help you out. Keep on showing your ignorance of critical reasoning; you've been doing a great job so far.

June 25, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
    • Fufu

Moby, so no actual argument of the post, just name calling and sarcasm. Way to prove your point!!!!!!!!

June 25, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
    • Fufu

I don't need to understand critical thinking when I have the bible to guide me.

June 25, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
    • Slalom

You have some striking ideas about what atheism, science, and proof are all about.

June 25, 2012 at 5:27 pm |

imposter fufu alert^^^^
      Why won't CNN delete this profile when I have reported it as abuse several times?????

June 25, 2012 at 5:28 pm |
    • Jimmy G.

A billion brainwashed idiots without any concrete proof do not prove the existence of your imaginary god.
      No matter how many believe in Santa, Santa is still an imaginary being.
      Magic is not real and we can prove that to you anytime day or night.

June 25, 2012 at 5:28 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

I'll try again, Fufu. See if you can keep up.

You're using extremely stupid logic. So stupid that you wouldn't understand the proper logic of my superior argument if I were to give it to you. Besides, I'd rather you keep making a fool of yourself. You can call it name-calling if you like; I call it "calling it like it is." Keep posting.

June 25, 2012 at 5:28 pm |

Thank you Slalom.

June 25, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
    • Fufu

God and the bible make me smarter than Atheists

June 25, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

So Moby, where exactly is the proof?

June 25, 2012 at 5:40 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

The proof for what? I don't care about proving any of my points about Fufu. If you think he's making brilliant arguments that aren't absolutely asinine, then feel free.

June 25, 2012 at 5:42 pm |
    • Geoff

That has to be one of the stupidest things I have ever read. Congrats!!

June 25, 2012 at 5:44 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

@Fufu, So you're saying religion is like pedophilia?

June 25, 2012 at 5:51 pm |
    • Eric G

I am sorry Fufu, but your argument is invalid and illogical. To be an accurate argument, we would need to be debating if Jerry Sandusky existed, not debating the morality of his actions. The existence of Sandusky has been established, so now, we can debate his actions. We cannot compare the two until you first establish the existence of your god.

No points for you this round.

June 25, 2012 at 5:52 pm |
    • WWJD

@FUFU. Wow you really do clutch at straws. You obviously have no idea about critcal thinking to make such a ridiculous comment.

June 25, 2012 at 5:52 pm |
    • sam

It's fascinating how far down the rabbit hole people can work themselves while they're attempting 'logic'. And...um...pretty sure Slalom wasn't complimenting you, Fufu, fyi.

June 25, 2012 at 6:02 pm |
    • Deb

You jack@ss...God has no proof, only witnesses. Try your sick, twisted, theory on you little friend, then pull your zipper up and wash your hands, loser.

June 25, 2012 at 7:47 pm |
    • Lil

@fufu...I'm a christian and I'm begging you to shut your mouth. You are making the most ridiculous remarks ever. Your intellect and knowledge is that of simpleton, and you do not represent us. Please stop.

June 25, 2012 at 8:25 pm |
  3. Adam

The Moral Argument, my favorite argument for God's existence.

Way to go, Leah!

June 25, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

LOL!! The god of the bible has the worst morality I can imagine. You guys don't kill, but I can, and you can too when I tell you to do it. You guys forgive your enemies, I'm going to burn mine forever in a pit of fiery torture. Bible god is just an example of subjective morality and 'might makes right' morality.

June 25, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
    • 1word

You are born a sinner. To think you can be moral without the help of GOD is funny to me. I was a good person before I gave my life to Christ, but I would still have issues of being immoral. If a woman was to want to have s ex with me, I would probably do it because I felt my wife wouldn't find out. The same is with people mas turbating, and doing all these other immoral se x acts.

June 25, 2012 at 5:35 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

@1word

For some reason I feel no one would ever want to have s*ex with you.

June 25, 2012 at 5:39 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

What do I care about "immoral" s3x acts? Your god is going to torture people with fire in his own special torture chamber forever and ever. What a fvcking azzhole terrorist c0cksvcking fvck?!!?!!

June 25, 2012 at 5:40 pm |
    • Eric G

@1word: Funny, I don't seem to need your god to control my gentleman sausage as much as you do. Why, when the conversation turns to morals, do you christians always turn to se.x first? Why are you so concerned with what others do?

June 25, 2012 at 5:42 pm |
    • JWT

1word not all of us have poor morals and it is certainly not necessary to believe in god to have excellent morals. For some people who want it it can help though.

June 25, 2012 at 5:43 pm |
    • Just Claims, No Truth

And what makes a se.x act immoral if it is between consenting adults? Oh you magic book says so? So what, your magic book is full of immorality.

June 25, 2012 at 5:44 pm |
    • sam

I guess I'm confused as to why a belief in god is required to keep control of yourself.

June 25, 2012 at 5:55 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

@Adam, It's actually one of the silliest arguments to be made for religion. Given that you're so easily satisfied with those kinds of answers without digging deeper by way of reasoning, it's no wonder that you've surrendered your brain to religion. The argument has at least 2 major flaws.

1) without god, there would be no morality. This presumes that people without god have no morality, yet it fails to answer how people didn't just kill each other off before god was on the scene, nor does it address how there are people all over the world who don't worship that god and live moral lives every day.

2) Reductive logic alert. Morality is here, therefore there must be a god. What?! Here's a reductive logic trick you can do to see if you're falling into that trap. Replace "god" with "magic bunny in the sky" or any other silly thing you can think of. If it is equally plausible, has as much evidence to support and cannot be disproved, you've found your flaw.

June 25, 2012 at 6:04 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

Sorry @Adam, I had your name copy and pasted from a previous post. That was meant for 1word.

June 25, 2012 at 6:17 pm |
    • Sue

All the Moral Argument does is establish the key motive for making God up.

June 26, 2012 at 1:13 am |
  4. CNNuthin

Guardian of the Emerald City Gates: Well, that's more like it! Now, state your business!
    Dorothy: We want to see the Wizard!
    Guardian of the Emerald City Gates: The Wizard? But nobody can see the Great Oz! Nobody's ever seen the Great Oz! Even I've never seen him!
    Dorothy: Well, then how do you know there is one?
    Guardian of the Emerald City Gates: Oh, you're wasting my time!

June 25, 2012 at 5:08 pm |
  5. Buddha

How come nobody fighting over me??? Makes me a sad panda. 😦

June 25, 2012 at 4:56 pm |
    • Adam

Because one does not have to presuppose anything upon insufficient evidence to experience the wisdom of many of the things you have taught. It is not, by a strict definition, even a religion.

June 25, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
    • Jimmy G.

Actually, Buddhism contains a great many supernatural fallacies and is, indeed, a religion.

June 25, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
    • Adam

I have read some complete nonsense written under the guise of Buddhism, and acknowledge this, but I don't think this necessarily has to be part of the philosophy. Let us define religion. The best definition I have come across is from Daniel Dennett: religions are social systems whose participants avow belief in a supernatural agent or agents whose approval is to be sought.

I won't say that I am an expert on Buddhism by any means, but I believe it possible to construe it as a philosophy without having to presuppose anything upon insufficient evidence. This is opposed to Christianity, say, which REQUIRES from the outset a variety of specious assertions about the nature of the universe.

Here is an essay I read a while back which I thought was very provoking, and which deals with this issue, if you care to read it: samharris[dot]org/site/full_text/killing-the-buddha/

June 25, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

wiki:
      Religion is a collection of cultural systems, belief systems, and worldviews that relate humanity to spirituality and, sometimes, to moral values.

June 25, 2012 at 5:43 pm |
    • Adam

I think you have to have the avowed belief in supernatural agents to be considered a religion, otherwise you get stuff like Objectivism (which is actively anti-religious) counting as a "religion." Obviously part of why I bring this up is because people have widely differing views of its definition. In yours–what the heck is "spirituality"? What if your worldview is physical determinism? Is that a religion? Do you support the claim, often cried out here by trolls, that "Atheism is just another religion"?

It certainly is confusing, and I wanted to mention Dennett's definition–written in the fabulous book BREAKING THE SPELL–because I think it cuts to the point nicely, and is as unambiguous as possible.

It's tricky when people don't use language in the same way. I have a feeling that of the maybe 6 billion people who would say they believe in a God, that you're probably going to get 5 billion different definitions of 'God.'

June 25, 2012 at 5:52 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

@Adam

Yeah, you're right on, and it can be frustrating. I especially wish that the definition for atheism was more clearly defined–as christians often view it as a positive claim that "God does not exist" instead of it being a mere disbelief with various shades of appending ideas and beliefs.

June 25, 2012 at 5:58 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

@Adam, I live in Ja,pan where Buddhism is part of the culture. From what I see there Buddhism is in fact treated as a religion. Many do worship the various Buddhas as deities, with the exception of Zen which tends to be closer to the actual philosophy of Buddhism. In Malaysia and Taiwan, it's much worse in terms of deification. It's akin to snake handlers of the deep south. I suspect the Buddha would be shaking his head in disbelief.

June 25, 2012 at 6:14 pm |
  6. atheist@heart

Does anyone want a hand with demoralizing themselves?
    My demoralization is going extremely well.
    I'm helping others demoralize themselves in my local community.
    Help others demoralize themselves in your local community.

June 25, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
    • The Corrector

Sounds like you strayed too far atheist@heart.

June 25, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
    • sam

Boring attention whore. Next?

June 25, 2012 at 4:51 pm |
  7. HappyMadison

Hmmm... if i was totally unscrupulous, I could create my own atheist blog. Then, after I have a big following, suddenly change to christianity – then write a book about it. I would get on CNN, Fox, The Today Show, Leno, etc. After all the churchies rush out to the xtian bookstore, I'll have amassed more money than Mittens Romney!

June 25, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
    • cleareye1

Next time she'll become a Scientologist.

June 25, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
    • sam

It's a pretty good plan, really.

June 25, 2012 at 4:53 pm |
  8. 1word

Smart girl, I'm not sure I would go being a Catholic but it's a start.

June 25, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  9. Journeyman

As a practicing Catholic I ask all potential converts from atheism to log a few years in some crazy skateboarder protestant church first before moving up the ranks. A lot of you come in thinking this is Da Vinci Code 24/7 and when you find out it is boring and mundane you start groups like Opus Dei or enter the priesthood and take your frustrations out on innocent people.

June 25, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
    • Jimmy G.

For a "journeyman" it sure is strange that you didn't know that "Opus Dei" was created in the highest levels of the Vatican.
      It's an official department of the Vatican. When you fell and hit your head skateboarding, I guess it scrambled your brains.

June 25, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
  10. Reality

Educating Leah continues:

Christian/Catholic economics/greed 101:

The Baptizer drew crowds and charged for the "dunking". The historical Jesus saw a good thing and continued dunking and preaching the good word but added "healing" as an added charge to include free room and board. Sure was better than being a poor peasant but he got a bit too zealous and they nailed him to a tree. But still no greed there.

Paul picked up the money scent on the road to Damascus. He added some letters and a prophecy of the imminent second coming for a fee for salvation and "Gentilized" the good word to the "big buck" world. i.e. Paul was the first media evangelist!!! And he and the other Apostles forgot to pay their Roman taxes and the legendary actions by the Romans made them martyrs for future greed. Paul was guilty of minor greed?

Along comes Constantine. He saw the growing rich Christian community and recognized a new tax base so he set them "free". Major greed on his part!!

The Holy Roman "Empirers"/Popes/Kings/Queens et al continued the money grab selling access to JC and heaven resulting in some of today's richest organizations on the globe i.e. the Christian churches (including the Mormon Church) and related aristocracies. Obvious greed!!!

An added note: As per R.B. Stewart in his introduction to the recent book, The Resurrection of Jesus, Crossan and Wright in Dialogue,

June 25, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  11. Fufu

June 25, 2012 at 4:02 pm |
    • Lil Jon

WHAT

June 25, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
    • Reality

My arteries are clogged. Now what do I do?????

June 25, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
    • Lil Jon

YEAYAH

June 25, 2012 at 4:13 pm |

@ LIL JON

OKAYYYYY

June 25, 2012 at 4:13 pm |
    • Fufu

@ reality, then you refer to my earlier posts that state that atheist have trouble making a point without sarcasm, hatred and smug belief in their own intellectual superiority.

June 25, 2012 at 4:14 pm |
    • J.R.

Fufu, will you be back tomorrow or does today meet your "once every month or so" quota?

June 25, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
    • Lil Jon

HAHA OKAAAAYYYYY

June 25, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
    • Fufu

U.R. thank you for your second comment today that only makes a snarky jab at me and does not address the subject at hand. I most likely will be tired of the subject and not return for some time. But who knows?

June 25, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
    • Reality

A major clot in the arteries of the hearts of all humans:

The Apostles' Creed 2012 (updated by yours truly based on the studies of NT historians and theologians of the past 200 years)

Should I believe in a god whose existence cannot be proven
      and said god if he/she/it exists resides in an unproven,
      human-created, spirit state of bliss called heaven?????

I believe there was a 1st century CE, Jewish, simple,
      preacher-man who was conceived by a Jewish carpenter
      named Joseph living in Nazareth and born of a young Jewish
      girl named Mary. (Some say he was a mamzer.)

Jesus was summarily crucified for being a temple rabble-rouser by
      the Roman troops in Jerusalem serving under Pontius Pilate,

He was buried in an unmarked grave and still lies
      a-mouldering in the ground somewhere outside of
      Jerusalem.

Said Jesus' story was embellished and "mythicized" by
      many semi-fiction writers. A bodily resurrection and
      ascension stories were promulgated to compete with the
      Caesar myths. Said stories were so popular that they
      grew into a religion known today as Catholicism/Christianity
      and featuring dark-age, daily wine to blood and bread to body rituals
      called the eucharistic sacrifice of the non-atoning Jesus.

Amen
      (References used are available upon request.)

June 25, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
    • Jimmy G.

Fufu, perhaps if you phrased it differently the ridiculousness of your "point" would be more clear to you.

You said, "God's existence does not depend on whether an individual or group can win a debate about it on an internet commentary. When He lives in your heart, however, you know He is real."

Actual existence of anything real is not dependent upon the screeching of primates who have no magic, no, but your god is a demonstrably imaginary figure. We do not need magic to determine if he exists because there is no such thing as magic and no such thing as your god. Debate is not needed when your magic never actually works for us to prove it doesn't work.

Either you are able to tell the difference between what is real and what is not or you are not able to do this.
      Debate is not a requirement for your perceptions to either be accurate or inaccurate.
      You can put the existence of your god to the test. It's really easy: simply weigh your total and overwhelming lack of any proof or suggestion that your god exists against all the knowledge and proof we have that your god is imaginary.
      Guess what? If you are intellectually honest and able to view the problem objectively, you will understand your god does not exist.
      But if you are in the throes of a delusion, a schizophrenic mindset with perceptual bias, then you will insist that your imaginary god is real and that your dead cult leader will return and that I'd better believe everything you say if I know what is good for me. Mmmhmmm. That's right. You tell us how it is, now. You show us your lack of evidence and see how many are as gullible and simple-minded as you. Go ahead.

June 25, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
    • Fufu

Jimmy you are a great example of the atheist who cannot make a point without making, in your case SEVERAL, demeaning, insulting, sarcastic and smug comments to back your case. I grow tired of responding to your type.

June 25, 2012 at 4:48 pm |
    • Praying is not healthy for a sound mind

God made man in his image, God has DNA, God is human. Adam named the animals but could not write and the Jews didn't learn to write for thousands of years later and copied from religions (Sumerians) in the region established well before Adam/Eve. Cain went into the land of Nod and scored a wife....further evidence there were civilizations predating Adam. The Serphant never lied, their eyes were openned and saw God for what he was...one of them. It was God/men that lied to Adam attempting to protect him and keep him ignorant of the truth and from the outside world that was well established. Beings with DNA need flying vehicles like Ezekiel saw. The Jewish religion is simply copied and not original and is ismply false. Jesus was just another delusional person thinking they were a prophet. Men created and organized the "word of God"

June 25, 2012 at 4:49 pm |

YOU'RE ALL MEAN.

June 25, 2012 at 4:54 pm |

imposter Fufu alert^^^^^

June 25, 2012 at 4:55 pm |
    • Praying is not healthy for a sound mind

Fufu

YOU'RE ALL MEAN.

...
      ????

June 25, 2012 at 4:56 pm |
    • Adam

The Argument From Personal Experience is inadequate. While it can be used to report subjective experience ("I felt sublime in church today") it has no place in extrapolating this subjective experience to external assertions about the structure of the universe ("I felt sublime in church today, THEREFORE there exists a supernatural agent who acted upon me in a such a way as to make me feel sublime").

June 25, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
    • CNNuthin

Like a virus? Or fatty tissue? Oh no! God is trying to infect and kill us all!

June 25, 2012 at 5:10 pm |
    • Jimmy G.

If you can't stand to argue with people who are honest with you, then why don't you go surround yourself with your fellow believers?
      Then you can pat yourselves on the back and never have to think about or argue about your confused beliefs to the world.

June 25, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
    • Fufu

Atheist must believe in the innocence, or at least lack of guilt, of Jerry Sandusky. There is no way to prove scientifically that he is guilty, only witness testimony. The existence of God has millions more witnesses than the accusers of Jerry Sandusky. I assume all you atheist think Sandusky is not guilty?

June 25, 2012 at 5:19 pm |
    • Jimmy G.

If this were a court of law, your religions would be put in prison for fraud. Is that where you really want to go with this?

June 25, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

JImmy G "Demonstrably imaginary?" There's some proof I'd like to see or are you going to fall back on the "I'm not required to prove it you are" strategy?

June 25, 2012 at 5:46 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

@Bill

You idiot. The person making the claim for a thing existing must provide evidence. If you can't, then the skeptic has the more logical position in disbelieving your claim. It's why you sit down at a table with lawyers when you "close" on a house, and it's why you don't buy the Golden Gate bridge for 200 bucks from a homeless guy named Cletus.

June 25, 2012 at 5:54 pm |
    • Jimmy G.

@Bill Deacon

It's pretty straightforward, Bill.

Look up "imaginary", figure out how this would apply in your case, evaluate the evidence produced during the relevant demonstration, and 'viola'! Your god is demonstrated to be imaginary...because he is imaginary.
      There is no test you can produce that could possibly show your god to be real.
      But if we test to see if some concept is imaginary and has nothing to do with the real world – then it is clearly imaginary.

Why is this so difficult for you? Your imagination is the only place where you can point to for "proof", nothing happens outside of your head, your imagination and imaginary god can't do anything outside of your head.
      If you apply the same rules as for any other imaginary concept, the results are exactly the same.

Your god is imaginary. Prayers are imaginary. We can prove they are imaginary because they have nothing to do with reality and cannot affect anything outside of your imagination.

June 25, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
  12. joe

She just lost her courage. Were it not for the fear of death, there would be no religions.

June 25, 2012 at 4:02 pm |
    • Fufu

maybe she decided love is easier than hate and found something to love.

June 25, 2012 at 4:10 pm |

Maybe she just doesn't want to BURN IN THE LAKE OF ETERNAL HELLFIRE

June 25, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
    • Fufu

The second Fufu here is an imposter using my profile name. I would never judge whether I deem somebody worthy of heaven or hell.

June 25, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
    • HappyMadison

So fufu, you automatically think that if someone is not a christian than they are full of hate. And if you become christian you are suddenly full of love? Sounds like you're full of something.

June 25, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
    • HappyMadison

I've never heard of this blogger before this happened. She actually seems to have had a pretty mixed up belief system to begin with. As she said herself, her atheist readers and christian readers had been telling her all along that her beliefs were more christian than atheist. I don't think many were that surprised.

June 25, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
    • Fufu

HM did I use the word "Christian?"

June 25, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
    • Fufu

If you don't know Jesus you are going to burn in the lake of fire. Atheists are going to hell.

June 25, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
    • Thinker

Fufu, don't look now, but I think you have a stalker! A really persistant one at that!

June 26, 2012 at 10:38 am |
  13. churchofchristdimmitt

Reblogged this on 4th & Bedford Church of Christ.

June 25, 2012 at 3:52 pm |
  14. TXatheist

Most atheists would say " Really ? Whatever."

June 25, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
    • AverageJoe76

I agree. It's only revealing in the fact that she seems to be a bit confused. Seems weird to believe in no God, then to suddenly believe in a particular God.

June 25, 2012 at 3:55 pm |
    • Bet

She wouldn't be the first person to convert to her boyfriend's religion. Yet, she "questions certain aspects of Catholicism, including the church’s positions on hom.ose.xuality, contraception and some aspects of religious liberty."

She's young and in love. Everyone makes mistakes when they are young and in love.

Or, she smells money. I'm sure another article about a book deal is coming soon, and the talk show circuit. The catholic church needs some positive press very badly.

June 25, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
    • Lil Jon

...WHAT

June 25, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

Perhaps some would discount it as irrelevant but the post on this board have surpassed 6000 so I'd say some percentage feel the need to remark on it.

June 26, 2012 at 1:57 pm |
  15. Adam

Joining the Catholic Church merely out of the misplaced notion that morality is linked to the existence of a supernatural agent is like joining the Nahzee[sic] Party because of one's affection for order and crisp uniforms: you can get all of it elsewhere, and your participation only makes one complicit in a variety of hate crimes, and physical and civil rights abuses.

This is patently absurd. Throw out the dogma, keep the pretty music and architecture, and sit down with your fellow human beings and have a 21st century conversation about morality.

June 25, 2012 at 3:47 pm |
    • SPA Knight

Adam – "Throw out the dogma, keep the pretty music and architecture, and sit down with your fellow human beings and have a 21st century conversation about morality."

The dogma is what drives the inspiration for pretty music and architecture. It is also what leads to a deep examination of conscience which is the intellect. I believe that this young woman's conversion was driven by a conversation with fellow human beings both atheists and those of faith. The one thing that atheists share with faithful men and women is there ability to examine evidence, struggle with the arguments and eventually derive a logical conclusion through study and discernment. I applaud her courage and determination and my guess is that she is now feeling much more joy because that empty void in her has now been filled with the love of her creator.

June 25, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
    • Adam

Thank you for your reply. I am unpersuaded that dogma has ANY place in this project we call civilization. By it's own definition–aid down by an authority as incontrovertibly true–it removes from itself the burden of proof, from the responsibility of having to map onto our reality in any meaningful way. It merely IS. Why? Because someone, sometime, said it was so. This thinking the opposite of reason. This is the death knell of the intellect.

And unfortunately, dogma is the basis for the RCC, and so I can have no respect for someone who swallows it whole. If you believe in the dogma of Transubstantiation, there is something deeply wrong with you.

June 25, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
    • littleflower

@ adam i don't blame you because even other christian denominations don't believe in transubstantiation, certainly there are some catholics who don't. Ideally we would like all catholics to embrace transubstantiation. One thing you gotta consider with christians is we see God with our faith, not necessarily by sight or the evidence that He exists (also consider what existence means because God does not exist the way we or things exist because God transcends time and space.

From my own understanding and faith, God has a way of communicating with each one of us, of letting us know He is with us. Faith is something that is given to all of us by God in various points in our lives. When he does reach out to each one of us, it's an experience that can essentially be understood by the certain person and God (example if God bestows you the gift of faith, he approaches you in a way that only you will find it credible and also others who have a similar experience. Often times, this defies scientific explanation. When you have faith in God, you are one step closer to understanding transubstantiation not only with your mind but with your heart and soul. Any queries let me know, thanks

June 25, 2012 at 9:17 pm |
  16. Jimmy G.

I guess it doesn't take much to become a Catholic.

June 25, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
    • Adam

Only a willingness to lie about what you know about the universe and the ability to turn a blind eye to heinous acts of abuse and deceit.

June 25, 2012 at 3:48 pm |
    • joe

Christianity is the easiest religion in the world to practice. You don't have to do anything, you just declare that you believe. it's like 'religion-lite".

June 25, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

Christianity has not been tried and found lacking, it has been found difficult and left untried – Albert Swietzer

June 25, 2012 at 5:50 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

christianity has been tried and found stupid–Moby Schtick.

June 25, 2012 at 6:05 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

Yeah Moby you strike me as a guy who has really walked it out.....NOT

June 26, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
  17. Piero

So, how much of the increase Ad revenue in that blog is CNN taking?

June 25, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
  18. kindness

I Follow Christ . I never wanted proof. I just had faith.

HE WHO follows Me, walks not in darkness,” says the Lord (John 8:12). By these words
    of Christ we are advised to imitate His life and habits, if we wish to be truly enlightened and
    free from all blindness of heart. Let our chief effort, therefore, be to study the life of Jesus
    Christ.
    The teaching of Christ is more excellent than all the advice of the saints, and he who
    has His spirit will find in it a hidden manna. Now, there are many who hear the Gospel often
    but care little for it because they have not the spirit of Christ. Yet whoever wishes to understand
    fully the words of Christ must try to pattern his whole life on that of Christ.

What good does it do to speak learnedly about the Trinity if, lacking humility, you
    displease the Trinity? Indeed it is not learning that makes a man holy and just, but a virtuous
    life makes him pleasing to God. I would rather feel contrition than know how to define it.
    For what would it profit us to know the whole Bible by heart and the principles of all the
    philosophers if we live without grace and the love of God? Vanity of vanities and all is vanity,
    except to love God and serve Him alone.

This is the greatest wisdom—to seek the kingdom of heaven through contempt of the
    world. It is vanity, therefore, to seek and trust in riches that perish. It is vanity also to court
    honor and to be puffed up with pride. It is vanity to follow the lusts of the body and to desire
    things for which severe punishment later must come. It is vanity to wish for long life and
    to care little about a well-spent life. It is vanity to be concerned with the present only and
    not to make provision for things to come. It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not
    to look ahead where eternal joy abides.
    Often recall the proverb: “The eye is not satisfied with seeing nor the ear filled with
    hearing.”1 Try, moreover, to turn your heart from the love of things visible and bring
    yourself to things invisible. For they who follow their own evil passions stain their consciences
    and lose the grace of God.

See for yourself.

June 25, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
    • Honey Badger Dont Care

You listen to an idiot like that who says that Lot was a righeous man?

June 25, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
    • joe

Well then, why don't you stop evangelizing all the day long and just keep quiet and pray in your little room?

June 25, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
    • ElmerGantry

Exactly right,

Lott was that "righteous" man who offered his two vïrgin daughters to the unruly crowd to do with them as they saw fit in their eyes. Why did he do that? To protect the "men" who had entered his house.

Shows the status of women, eh?

Now that is a Christian family value worth emulating? LOL

June 25, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
    • JWT

I'll pass on the god,

June 25, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
    • WWJD

Wasn't it Lot who committed incest with both of his daughters?

June 25, 2012 at 5:42 pm |
    • Just Claims, No Truth

Elmer,

You have to keep reading, Lot's daughters get him drunk and F*** him! 2 nights in a row. Rightous indeed.

June 25, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@JCNT

Actually Lot had two daughters, and I think that the older one was first, and the second night was the younger daughter.

June 25, 2012 at 7:46 pm |
    • Ribbon

You have to read scripture in light of scripture. Judges is a book that explains when everyone follows their own way they feel is right.

June 26, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
  19. Dave

Wow, from one extreme to the other. I doubt she's very skilled at philosophy. You get that.

June 25, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

I read a post on her blog, and it was actually really bad. Super boring and kind of comes across as a high school blog.

June 25, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
    • ElmerGantry

@HawaiiGuest,

Everything you said plus, she came across as someone wanting to believe and looking for an excuse to believe.

But as most people know, wanting to believe is <not a valid reason to believe.

June 25, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
    • JWT

Wanting to believe is all the reason that is needed to believe.

June 25, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

I also think it has less to do with a lack of skill in philosophy, and more to do with a lack of true critical thinking skills or skepticism.

June 25, 2012 at 5:05 pm |
  20. kindness

A thought to consider without an ego response

Accept Jesus christ as your lord and saviour. You never know how soon is too late. Transcend the worldly illusion of enslavement.
    The world denounces truth....

Accepting Jesus Christ (for me) resulted in something like seeng a new colour. You will see it .....but will not be able to clearly explain it to anyone else..... Its meant to be that way to transend any selfism within you.

Also... much the world arranges "surrounding dark matter into something to be debated" in such a way that protects/inflates the ego.

The key is be present and transcend our own desire to physically see evidence. We don't know anyways by defending our own perception of dark matter.

Currently.... most of us are constructing our own path that suits our sin lifestyle. Were all sinners. Knowing that we are is often an issue. But both christians and non are sinners.

We don't like to Let go and let god. We want control to some degree. This is what Jesus asks us to do. "Follow me".
    It's the hardest thing to do... but is done by letting the truth of scripture lead you (redemptive revelation)... as I said .

Try reading corinthians and see if it makes sense to you. Try it without a pre conceived notion of it being a fairy tale.
    See the truth...
    do we do what it says in todays society... is it relevant... so many have not recently read and only hinge their philosophy on what they have heard from som other person...which may have been full of arogance pride or vanity..

Look closely at the economy ponzi, look at how society idolizes Lust , greed , envy, sloth, pride of life, desire for knowledge, desire for power, desire for revencge,gluttony with food etc .

Trancsend the temporal world.

Just think if you can find any truth you can take with you ....in any of these things. When you die your riches go to someone who will spend away your life..... You will be forgotten.... history will repeat iteslf.... the greatest minds knowledge fade or are eventually plagerzed..... your good deeds will be forgotten and only give you a fleeting temporary reward . your learned teachings are forgotten or mutated..... your gold is transfered back to the rullers that rule you through deception. Your grave will grow over . This is truth .

Trancsend your egoism and free yourself from this dominion of satan. Understand you are a sinner and part of the collective problem of this worldly matrix... Repent.... Repent means knowing (to change) The Holy spirit (within) will convict you beyond what you think you can do by yourself. Grace is given to those who renounce the world. That are" in" the world but not "of " the world.

Evidence follows faith. Faith does not follow evidence..... Faith above reason in Jesus Christ.

Faith comes by Reading or Hearing the word of god from the bible . Ask Jesus in faith for dicernment and start reading the new testament... You will be shocked when you lay down your preconceived notions and ....see and hear truth ... see how christ sets an example ... feel the truth....

Read Ecclesiastes. Read corinthians.

You cant trancend your own egoism by adapting a world philosophy to suit your needs. Seek the truth in Christ.

Sell all your cleverness and purchase true bewilderment. You don't get what you want ....you get what you are in christ.

I promise this has been the truth for me. In Jesus christ .

Think of what you really have to lose. ...your ego?

Break the Matrix of illusion that holds your senses captive.

once you do . you too will have the wisdom of God that comes only through the Holy Spirit. Saved By grace through Faith. Just like seeing a new colour.... can't explain it to a transient caught in the matrix of worldly deception.
    You will also see how the world suppresses this information and distorts it

You're all smart people . I tell the truth. Its hard to think out of the box when earthly thinking is the box.
    I'ts a personal free experience you can do it free anytime . Don't wait till you are about to die.. START PUTTING YOUR TREASURES WHERE THEY REALLY MATTER >
    Its awsome and It's just between you and Jesus

my testimony

Romans 10:9

"If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved

June 25, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
    • WBThacker

"Accepting Jesus Christ (for me) resulted in something like seeng a new colour. "

For me, accepting Jesus Christ was a complete fizzle. I felt no different and things looked the same afterward. And I tell you honestly, I prayed to Jesus in complete sincerity and with abject submission.

I appreciate your heartfelt advice and I trust that for you, the experience was truly transformative. But it didn't work at all for me, and I'm not alone in that. Perhaps your lord wants nothing to do with us, or perhaps you experienced some kind of self-induced mental state having nothing to do with the divine.

"Trancsend your egoism"