home
RSS
June 22nd, 2012

Prominent atheist blogger converts to Catholicism

By Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) – She went from atheist to Catholic in just over 1,000 words.

CNN's Belief Blog: the faith angles behind the big stories

Libresco’s announcement has left some atheists scratching their heads.

But while atheists were puzzled by the conversion, others commended Libresco.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

Libresco is just switching the side she thinks the facts are on.

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism • Catholic Church

soundoff (7,475 Responses)
  1. Deb

I think the fact that almost all species have the basically same components, lungs, heart, brain, eyes, ears, mouth etc. is proof enough that we (all livings creatures) all evolved. Fish still have gills because they have not yet moved to land, Some birds did not need to fly, therefor their wings grew tiny and useless, every living thing evolved to adapt to it's surroundings. There re some species of fish, frogs, and insects, that have no eyes, because they lived in a cave, in total darkness, and eyes became useless. The only thing that keeps us on top is speech. Many animals have exactly the same characteristics and thought process as humans. They build, they protect, select top ranked individuals, morn death, feed, they socialize, use tools, can even problem solve, predict, kill, terminates even air-condition their mounds. I can go on and on. They exhibit extraordinary likenesses of humans minus speech as we know it, then can however communicate among themselves and understand other species actions. So why do we think we're so superior? I don't. Just the most intelligent, most evolved species on the planet. I'm happy to just exist for a short time, and enjoy as much happiness as I can before I expire much like ALL living things. We just Are, nothing more, even thou some individuals feel more superior, there is no need or reason to be so.

June 26, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
    • Deb

By the way.....I was a believer for 35 years, just got tired of all the lies, twists, deceit, editing, greed and bull$4it. deducted what was reasonable and factual, and went on very very happy, after the straw-man was burned and the ball and chain was removed. Free at last to Live for me.

June 26, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
    • Steve

Satan, himself, is a "believer". I'm afraid it takes a bit more than believing.

June 26, 2012 at 7:57 pm |
    • Nope!

"I was a believer for 35 years, just got tired of all the lies, twists, deceit, editing, greed and bull$4it"
      Nope, you never was a Believer. You never encountered risen, living Christ! if you did , you would have never called testimony about Him a lie and deceit! You were among them (the believers) but you never was one of them!

June 26, 2012 at 10:51 pm |
  2. intoped

Every person, including Leah Libresco, is capable of creating god(s).

June 26, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
  3. Chuckles

So we've seen an article on the "American Bible", what about an "Atheist Bible"..... oh wait, that's a science book.

June 26, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
    • Know What

Chuckles,

Actually, there was an article on these blogs last year about something similar to that.

“The Good Book: A Humanist Bible,” subt'itled “A Secular Bible” in the United Kingdom, by A.C Grayling.

*notice that, true to form, CNN called Grayling a "leading atheist". They are certainly obsessed with having "Prominent", "Top", "Leading" and "Head" this and thats on here!

June 26, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
  4. IamIsaid

AS IN THE BEGINNING man created god in his own image, and as a sign of the times, woman were treated no more important than his property, camels, sheep, goats and donkeys. Sit back and keep reading a little and see how this whole conversation is like a conversation at the local pub. Egotistical, manly and so void of the importance of women...It's still a mans club. blubber on, time just repeats itself.

June 26, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
    • Getreal

I don't know what century you are coming from but I have always been surrounded by strong, educated women who earn and command respect. You should try it sometime. Imagine seeing women as different but equal and your life will be happier

June 26, 2012 at 2:53 pm |
    • Deb

@Getreal...You know a few lucky women, If you think the majority of men on this planet, hold women as their equal, you my friend are still stoned.

June 26, 2012 at 3:18 pm |

Deb
      Just the way I was raised. Respect all until they show you a reason not to. As a man, I apologise as I too see the inequalities perpetrated.I do not understand it. Shows we as a race still have a long way to go, but I am not alone. Most of my friends treat women with respect at all times. We are stronger as a species when all are free to reach their potential

June 26, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
    • Deb

@Getreal...Oh I am a strong woman now, after years of fighting my way thru men in the workplace and life in general. I have taken in 4 homeless people, one man, who were abused, beaten, scorned by their superior males. I see by my children and gran children that the majority of women are still looked at and treated 2nd class even by the lowest of lowest of males. Oh we're improving, but to slow to stop so much suffering, you have no idea because you are on the other side, so don't even try to think you know a thing about what women go thru.

June 26, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
    • Witchie-Poo

@ ded: and I have taken in lost and hungry children. Granted, then I cooked and ate them, but that's beside the point. Serves those kids right for trying to eat my house! "Oh, hansel, i'm so hungry!" I guess Gretl isn't hungry now!

June 26, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
    • Deb

@wichiepoo...your name perfectly describes what your brain is full of, poo.....now run along and bully someone who actually acknowledges your alive.

June 26, 2012 at 7:46 pm |
  5. kindness

For Me.
    I Follow Christ . I never wanted proof. I just had faith.

HE WHO follows Me, walks not in darkness,” says the Lord (John 8:12). By these words
    of Christ we are advised to imitate His life and habits, if we wish to be truly enlightened and
    free from all blindness of heart. Let our chief effort, therefore, be to study the life of Jesus
    Christ.
    The teaching of Christ is more excellent than all the advice of the saints, and he who
    has His spirit will find in it a hidden manna. Now, there are many who hear the Gospel often
    but care little for it because they have not the spirit of Christ. Yet whoever wishes to understand
    fully the words of Christ must try to pattern his whole life on that of Christ.

What good does it do to speak learnedly about the Trinity if, lacking humility, you
    displease the Trinity? Indeed it is not learning that makes a man holy and just, but a virtuous
    life makes him pleasing to God. I would rather feel contrition than know how to define it.
    For what would it profit us to know the whole Bible by heart and the principles of all the
    philosophers if we live without grace and the love of God? Vanity of vanities and all is vanity,
    except to love God and serve Him alone.

This is the greatest wisdom—to seek the kingdom of heaven through contempt of the
    world. It is vanity, therefore, to seek and trust in riches that perish. It is vanity also to court
    honor and to be puffed up with pride. It is vanity to follow the lusts of the body and to desire
    things for which severe punishment later must come. It is vanity to wish for long life and
    to care little about a well-spent life. It is vanity to be concerned with the present only and
    not to make provision for things to come. It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not
    to look ahead where eternal joy abides.
    Often recall the proverb: “The eye is not satisfied with seeing nor the ear filled with
    hearing.”1 Try, moreover, to turn your heart from the love of things visible and bring
    yourself to things invisible. For they who follow their own evil passions stain their consciences
    and lose the grace of God.

See for yourself.

June 26, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
    • T-Max73

Unfortunately for you, the "just have faith" argument is NOT an argument exclusive to Christianity. Muslims want you to "just have faith" that Allah is real. Hindus want you to "just have faith" that their plethora of gods and deities is real. Most intelligent minds want good reasons (read:proof and evidence) that something is real before they believe it to be true. I know my kids "just have faith" that Santa Claus is real; does that make his existence a fact? Of course not.

"The voice of reason is small, but very persistent." ~Sigmund Freud

June 26, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
  6. Nick

To those who don't believe but keep asking "why?". try this: by definition, of all the forces in the universe, one is the greatest. Call it a secular definition of God if you'd like. Consider it. Contemplate it. See where it leads you.

June 26, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

What are you throwing under the heading of "forces". What do you mean by "greatest"?

June 26, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
    • Getreal

you say by definition.Really,I didn't know that all of the forces in the universe had been defined, and on top of that they have also been measured?

June 26, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
    • Smurfette

"greatest" is a qualitative, not quant-itative term, and therefore varies depending on a given person's own definition. It is therefore an infinitely variable term, and thus of no use in discussions such as these. How high is high? How fast is fast? How great is great?

June 26, 2012 at 2:27 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Done, contemplation complete! It lead me to the science of Hawking, Krauss, Dawkins, etc.

June 26, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
    • Just Claims, No Truth

"See where it leads you."

It leads me to believe things as being true that may, or may not be, actually be true and therefor it is bad advice.

June 26, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
    • Getreal

I think that should send Nick back to the old drawing board.

Smurfette:
      How high is a chinaman ( I met him in Singapore)
      How fast is fast? depends on how long you choose not to eat
      How great is great? Really great is great

June 26, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
    • ME II

@Nick,
      "To those who don't believe but keep asking 'why?'"
      Not sure what that means

As to the definition, it doesn't help. It is similar to defining God as 'perfect love' or 'perfectly good' which really doesn't define anything.

June 26, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
    • intoped

Some of us atheists call that "god of gaps".

June 26, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
    • Smurfette

@ getreal:

What's the difference between a duck?

Would you rather be, or a piece of string?

Do you walk to work, or take a lunch?

These are either excruciatingly deep philosophical questions, or else they're questions you ask people when they are really stoned. (hint: #2)

June 26, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
  7. kindness

For you

A thought to consider without any ego response

Accept Jesus christ as your lord and saviour. You never know how soon is too late. Transcend the worldly illusion of enslavement.
    The world denounces truth....

Accepting Jesus Christ (for me) resulted in something like seeng a new colour. You will see it .....but will not be able to clearly explain it to anyone else..... Its meant to be that way to transend any selfism within you.

Also... much the world arranges "surrounding dark matter into something to be debated" in such a way that protects/inflates the ego.

The key is be present and transcend our own desire to physically see evidence. We don't know anyways by defending our own perception of dark matter.

Currently.... most of us are constructing our own path that suits our sin lifestyle. Were all sinners. Knowing that we are is often an issue. But both christians and non are sinners.

We don't like to Let go and let god. We want control to some degree. This is what Jesus asks us to do. "Follow me".
    It's the hardest thing to do... but is done by letting the truth of scripture lead you (redemptive revelation)... as I said .

Try reading corinthians and see if it makes sense to you. Try it without a pre conceived notion of it being a fairy tale.
    See the truth...
    do we do what it says in todays society... is it relevant... so many have not recently read and only hinge their philosophy on what they have heard from som other person...which may have been full of arogance pride or vanity..

Look closely at the economy ponzi, look at how society idolizes Lust , greed , envy, sloth, pride of life, desire for knowledge, desire for power, desire for revencge,gluttony with food etc .

Trancsend the temporal world.

Just think if you can find any truth you can take with you ....in any of these things. When you die your riches go to someone who will spend away your life..... You will be forgotten.... history will repeat iteslf.... the greatest minds knowledge fade or are eventually plagerzed..... your good deeds will be forgotten and only give you a fleeting temporary reward . your learned teachings are forgotten or mutated..... your gold is transfered back to the rullers that rule you through deception. Your grave will grow over . This is truth .

Trancsend your egoism and free yourself from this dominion of satan. Understand you are a sinner and part of the collective problem of this worldly matrix... Repent.... Repent means knowing (to change) The Holy spirit (within) will convict you beyond what you think you can do by yourself. Grace is given to those who renounce the world. That are" in" the world but not "of " the world.

Evidence follows faith. Faith does not follow evidence..... Faith above reason in Jesus Christ.

Faith comes by Reading or Hearing the word of god from the bible . Ask Jesus in faith for dicernment and start reading the new testament... You will be shocked when you lay down your preconceived notions and ....see and hear truth ... see how christ sets an example ... feel the truth....

Read Ecclesiastes. Read corinthians.

You cant trancend your own egoism by adapting a world philosophy to suit your needs. Seek the truth in Christ.

Sell all your cleverness and purchase true bewilderment. You don't get what you want ....you get what you are in christ.

I promise this has been the truth for me. In Jesus christ .

Think of what you really have to lose. ...your ego?

Break the Matrix of illusion that holds your senses captive.

once you do . you too will have the wisdom of God that comes only through the Holy Spirit. Saved By grace through Faith. Just like seeing a new colour.... can't explain it to a transient caught in the matrix of worldly deception.
    You will also see how the world suppresses this information and distorts it

You're all smart people . I tell the truth. Its hard to think out of the box when earthly thinking is the box.
    I'ts a personal free experience you can do it free anytime . Don't wait till you are about to die.. START PUTTING YOUR TREASURES WHERE THEY REALLY MATTER >
    Its awsome and It's just between you and Jesus

my testimony

Romans 10:9

"If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved

June 26, 2012 at 1:56 pm |

Jesus freaks
      Out in the streets
      handing tickets out to God
      Elton 19:71
      See I can quote the works of other men too.

June 26, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
    • IamIsaid

WOW, you must be pretty proud of this log. you post it CONSTANTLY on many different blogs, please come up with another, please.

June 26, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
    • Nah

IamIsaid,

She did come up with another one. It was about how she got rooked by some Ivory Coast scammers. *sigh*

June 26, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
    • IamIsaid

OIC she should have learned the first time, now she's hooked by the BIG FISH.

June 26, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
  8. Star Performer

THE MAGIC OF 2 CIGARS ...
    I bought 2 cigars ...
    Then ...
    My enemy & me both smoked cigars together today.
    Then we both had a bloody good laugh for about an hour!
    My enemy went away entirely UNOFFENDED!

BEWARE THE MAGIC OF 2 CIGARS !!!!

June 26, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
    • atheist@heart

OMDevil! They're using 2 MAGIC CIGARS now!
      OMDevil! It's knocked me speechless!

June 26, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
    • The Corrector

Cigars have this effect I'm pleased to say!
      Perhaps the magic of even more cigars!
      Amen at last!

June 26, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
    • Star Performer

@The Corrector
      I need only sow the seeds my friend!
      Clearly you like the way I sow my seeds my friend!
      I love answering prayers, but there's always a few hiccups!
      Maybe we'll have a few magical cigars together at some stage!
      Healthiest Regards@The Corrector!

June 26, 2012 at 1:05 pm |
    • sam stone

I love good cigars. Especially the skunky smelling ones

June 26, 2012 at 1:40 pm |

"sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" – Sigmund Freud

June 26, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
    • Smurfette

I thought Clinton only used 1 cigar – you're telling me he used 2? At the same time? Bummer!

June 26, 2012 at 2:29 pm |
  9. AWGEE

THIS IS TO CNN....You really need to fix your blog, so when a person spends a couple of minutes thinking and writing their blog, and they accidentally miss one of your little dirty hidden words, the ENTIRE conversation is lost. You need to give the person a chance to figure out what they missed. Fix the problem please.

June 26, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

All you have to do is go back and fix it, hit the back button and your post will still be in the reply box.

June 26, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
    • LinCA

@AWGEE

You said, "THIS IS TO CNN....You really need to fix your blog, so when a person spends a couple of minutes thinking and writing their blog, and they accidentally miss one of your little dirty hidden words, the ENTIRE conversation is lost."
      I'd consider it highly unlikely that they will fix their comment board. Until about a year ago, the banned words list would cause posts to show up to the person attempting to post them with a notice about it awaiting moderation. Not that they were ever moderated, but it at least gave the option to copy the text and try again. Now they simply block them.

My advice is to compose your posts and replies in an offline text editor. That way, you can more easily edit your post and leave you with a copy if you miss one of the banned words.

Just FYI:
      CNN uses WordPress blogs for their opinion pieces, and they use automated censoring that looks for words, or fragments of words, that are considered offensive. If your post doesn't show up, it most likely had a forbidden word in it.

On the Belief Blog, repeat posts, even those that were previously censored and not displayed, will show a message stating that you posted it before.

The following words or word fragments will get your post censored (list is incomplete):
            arse             as in Arsenal
            rape         as in grape
            sex           as in homosexual
            shit
            slut
            snatch
            spic         as in despicable
            tit               as in constitution or title
            twat
            vag           as in vague
            whore
            wtf

To circumvent the filters you can break up the words by putting an extra character in, like: consti.tution (breaking the oh so naughty "tit").

June 26, 2012 at 1:02 pm |
    • Just Claims, No Truth

Reason,

Usually you are correct but once in a while it will come back blank, I recommend copying everthing befor you hit 'post'.

June 26, 2012 at 1:02 pm |

@LinCA

You are absolutely correct, I only wish I would had taken your suggestion as I could have saved myself from hitting myself in the head with a hammer many a time!

June 26, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
    • Ha

You hit yourself in the head with a hammer and call yourself Voice of Reason? HA! 😯

June 26, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
    • LinCA

@Ha

You said, "You hit yourself in the head with a hammer and call yourself Voice of Reason?"
      It's called "negative reinforcement learning". It's a pretty effective way of discouraging undesired behavior. I'm not sure I would choose to use the same tools as Voice of Reason, but if it works, why change it?

June 26, 2012 at 2:36 pm |
    • IamIsaid

Me thinks CNN should use it's HMO and have that bug removed from it's A$S

June 26, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
  10. OldAtheist

Leah's conversion explanation was emotional, not rational. Atheism tends to arise from the way a brain figures things out using reason and data. Magical beliefs tend to arise from brains that make choices from 'intuition' and emotion. Thinkers who rely on feelings view reality magically and thinkers who rely on data and reason view reality as rationally absent of magic. ARIS polling data shows that non-religion is gets more 'converts' than any other 'belief', with Catholocism losing more believers than most denominations. To be fair, Patheos should also pay attention to religionists who 'convert' to non-belief.

June 26, 2012 at 12:31 pm |
    • EarthenVessel

created by the creator and possessor of heaven and earth – JEHOVAH.

JEHOVAH(Psalms:90:4) to attempt defying Him.

You cannot measure the Almighty God. In his infinite wisdom, he has created such intricately complex, and self sustaining living beings, and planetary systems that could not (even by any strech of imagination or clever postulation) be honestly construed to be an accident.

June 26, 2012 at 12:52 pm |
    • EarthenVessel

Our faith is not moved when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms(over "x" billion years), because we know that we were created by the creator and possessor of heaven and earth – JEHOVAH.
      Our faith is not moved by the various claims of biased scientists, when these scientists are using materials created by an eternal creator – JEHOVAH(Psalms:90:4) to attempt defying Him.
      It is clear that (according to Genesis:1:27: "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.") God first created mankind in the spirit realm, before he formed man in this 3 dimensional realm (Genesis:2:7: And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.)
      For all the 4 billion+ years researching athieists, please remember that according to the Bible (in 2nd Peter:3:8: "But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.").

June 26, 2012 at 1:02 pm |
    • sam stone

Good for you, Earthen Vassal. Don't let science get in the way of a good fairy tale

June 26, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
    • Deb

@EarthenVessel.......quit jonesin and pass the bud, man

June 26, 2012 at 8:12 pm |
  11. Prominent Wilber

The media is pushing the whole “she’s prominent!” angle as if other atheists are suddenly going to jump off the cliff with her, swayed by her reasoning. I’m going to put it out there that most atheists, even in the blogosphere, hadn’t heard of Leah before last week.

June 26, 2012 at 12:17 pm |
    • Renee Hendricks

I read quite a number of prominent atheists online. Never heard of her until her recent "conversion".

June 26, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
  12. Voice of Reason

If you are going to claim and preach that there is a god you will need to first prove there is a god. If you cannot prove there is a god your so-called religion should be taxed on the basis of a disclaimer stating that what you are proposing is a belief and it has no foundation to prove its credibility and validity. People wanting to believe will have to sign this waiver and pay for the privilege to be deluded. The tax or usage fee will then go to education and scientific research.

June 26, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

Sounds reasonable. Let's run it by the first amendment and see............nope, sorry.

June 26, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
    • Ha

Pay no attention to Bill as his mother has not yet let him out to play today and he hasn't finished reading the First Amendment either.

June 26, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

From many of the anti religion post I see here I am confident that many would prefer that amendment be discounted. We'll find out more Thursday if that will be so. But thanks for the insult, it only ratifies my opinion of the "great thinkers" I encounter here.

June 26, 2012 at 2:02 pm |
    • Just Claims, No Truth

Bill,

It can be argued that the fact the gov't in some fashion determines which organizations are actually religious in determining which ones are therefore non-taxable, in and of itself violates the First Amendment and the only way to be actually neutral is to tax ALL of them.

June 26, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
    • IamIsaid

Bottom line, I don't need their service, believe in their cause, or want to pick up their slack, it is NOT non-profit and they need to pay up.

June 26, 2012 at 2:35 pm |
    • IamIsaid

Let them believe in whatever their delusion is, as long as not one penny of my PAID taxes is picking up their slack.

June 26, 2012 at 2:52 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

I, for one, would not be the least surprised to find this argument before the court. Are you confident of what it implies? I understand a lot of people have a bias against the Church but do you really want to lose the social services that the church provides? Think hard before you answer

June 26, 2012 at 3:55 pm |
    • motherearth

@BillDecon using the old question with a question, to avoid an answer....right back at ya.

June 26, 2012 at 8:14 pm |
    • motherearth

@BillDecon....what? like letting our children alone. Or maybe the Pope will have to trade in his Versache's for some Nike's. Maybe pawn the gold dinnerware and get some Corelle. Or maybe the outlandish lifestyles and ginormas churches will have to downsize. Don't make it sound like it will all disappear because there are MANY charities not affiliated with religion, that do just as much or more.

June 26, 2012 at 8:28 pm |
    • Nope!

@Ha
      Reading Bill's posts tell me that he has more sense in his little pinkie then many of you in what's between your ears!

June 27, 2012 at 6:54 am |
  13. ProminentAtheistReader

"Prominent"? Right. Never heard of her. Meanwhile, two friends just told me they've stopped believing. I guess we're one up for today.

June 26, 2012 at 12:01 pm |
  14. tony

Tony Blair (Iraq war "fame") adopted Catholicism recently too. That alone just caused a mass exodus from "the" Church.

June 26, 2012 at 11:42 am |
  15. tony

Never heard of her either. "Prominent Atheist" and "extremely youthful picture" doesn't sound like a believable combination.

June 26, 2012 at 11:38 am |
    • Real Deal

She was/is a frequent poster on Patheos, a for-profit blog site on "faith".

I guess it'd be sort of like if our HeavenSent became an atheist.

June 26, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
    • ME II

@Real Deal,
      Interesting thought. Maybe it is one of HeavenSent's personalities?

June 26, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
  16. Thinker

Just fyi, the learned knew that the world was round since ancient greece. It is easily observed by watching the flight of sea birds over the horizon for example. Most common people never even thought about it at all (not remotly relevant to farming or smithing etc.) The geocentric theory was actually mathematically 'proven' by Ptolemy of Egypt, so belief in geocentrism was acceptable (it used epicycles where planets would make loops and such. it was very contrived, but was accurate enough to garner acceptance. The Greek who tried to prove heliocentrism failed because he just couldn't fathom the actual distance between the sun and planets so his model wasn't accurate enough. And he wasn't a king like Ptolemy). What was unacceptable was persecuting gallileo for proving heliocentrism.

Always remember that people of the past were just as smart as people now; they just had less acc,umulated knowledge to build on. The concepts that make up the scientific process have existed throughout history, but with no way to widely distribute them (and in some cases active suppression of them) they had to be rediscovered by each new group of natural philosophers. It was only the invention of the printing press that allowed the procedure of scientific discovery to be formalized.

argh. curse the filters and their hate for acc,umulated.

June 26, 2012 at 11:15 am |
    • Thinker

Well thats odd, my post was a responce to thecmancan and it appeared above his post... Go board host!

June 26, 2012 at 11:18 am |
  17. thecmancan

I really love the argument from some religious folk that science fails, it's all theories, science can be wrong, etc.

I think that's the point! Science gives humanity the ability to question, to explore, to experiment and find out how and why this universe works the way it does!

If the scientific revolution never happened, we'd all still believe the Earth is flat. If no one questioned religious tenets, we'd still think the Sun revolves the Earth and lightening is still Zeus being very mad at us.

Religion can't contain the fundamental human need to question. That's why it's nothing more than yet another one of America's favorite past-times.

June 26, 2012 at 10:16 am |
    • Just Claims, No Truth

Science is sometimes wrong,

Religion is never right.

June 26, 2012 at 10:44 am |
    • Getreal

Sometimes religions are right. Most of the 10 commandments are pretty good ideas. They weren't "handed down by God" of course, they were created by man, and for man, and religions themselves are fundamentally flawed. There are some good aspects to religions that even people like myself that do not believe can still take away as good general advice. We all find meaning where we want to.

June 26, 2012 at 10:49 am |
    • Just Claims, No Truth

Getreal,

My point is religion is not a good way to come to know what is actually true. There are positive teachings in most religions but they are subjective at best.

Your point about the 10 Commandments can be argued, but I think the 10 commandments or very flawed. The good commandments (stealing, killing, lying) are not original to religion. Many others are laws about dealing with 'god', who you and I don't believe exists. Honoring your mother and father can be good advice unless your parents are abusive.

June 26, 2012 at 11:14 am |
    • EarthenVessel

Atheists argue that some individuals tried to use what you refered to as "religion" to make laws according to their own understanding, but you simply cannot use that as an excuse to deny the existence of the Almighty God. Religion never had any issues with science; atheists all over the world have been brainwashed to think so. Even in very early bible times eangines were invented by kings to power war machines, they used in defending their cities (2nd Chronicles:26:15: "And he made in Jerusalem engines, invented by cunning men, to be on the towers and upon the bulwarks, to shoot arrows and great stones withal. And his name spread far abroad; for he was marvellously helped, till he was strong."). Even King solomon was given great wisdon and knowledge by God Almighty (1st Kings:4:29: "And God gave Solomon wisdom and understanding exceeding much, and largeness of heart, even as the sand that is on the sea shore."). God wants us to use science as a tool, not to worship it (Isaiah:44:20)

June 26, 2012 at 11:17 am |

Just Claims, No Truth
      I agree. Just the blanket statement that religions are never right was what was commenting on. Sometimes religions are right. Religions are rarely FACTUAL,but they are sometimes right. And also none of the religions being practiced today are completely stand alone, things borrowed and taken from every source that man has been exposed to since man created all religions.

June 26, 2012 at 11:21 am |
    • PRISM 1234

The problem with today's man, because of his expanded knowledge especially in technological advancements... he has become proud, exalting himself in his heart, thinking he is god. But that's no news by any means. Satan did it, and fell... man, seduced by the father of lies, and lust for power has allowed pride to swell up in his heart, has done the same... Scriptures were written long ago, but we see them fulfilled with our own eyes (Dan.12:4) There has never been time as such we're living in, when man is so advanced, yet the deprivation of human character on WORLDWIDE scale, is unprecedented from any time in history of mankind! anyone denying this is living in self imposed blindness!

June 26, 2012 at 11:39 am |
    • BRC

@PRISM,
      There is nothing wrong with pride if you have lived a life or achieved a success that warrants it. Pride tells you you are doing well, and gives you the motivation to continue to try, instead of just coasting on past success. I am proud of the fact that I live a good moral life, without requiring a divine motivator, that pride causes me to hold to moral actions, because I don't want to be ashamed of my own actions.

The pride of the successful was in the past a tool used by those who were jealous of another's accomplishments to raise public opinion against them. If someone succeeded in their life, and acheived a high station because of it, dissenters could say "look at them, they are so proud of themselves, they obviously think they're better than you all", and turn public opinion against them. To argue against deserved pride is foolish, and demeans us as people. We should be proud of our accomplishments, and we should strive to do better so that we can be proud of ourselves in the future.

As for your claims that mankind's values are at their lowest point in history, I'd like to hear some specific examples.

June 26, 2012 at 11:50 am |
    • Thinker

EarthenVessel, the charactarization of religion as being anti-science has resulted from the resistance to change long espoused by the Catholic Church and the creationist resistance to evolution and a ~14 billion year old earth. A good example of old Catholic resistance is the fate of Gallileo. Admitedly the Catholic church no longer sends the inquisiton after people who disagree with it, but the history of abuse of power still stains the church. Religion is not necessarily against science, but dogma in particular is. Science questions everything but by its nature dogma is not to be questioned, and if a dogma is in place that is contradicted by science, the dogma is usually taken as correct and the science wrong.

June 26, 2012 at 11:56 am |

@EarthenVessel
      "Religion never had any issues with science; atheists all over the world have been brainwashed to think so."

First off, that statement is so ridiculous that you will need to provide evidence to back-up your claim. We will be waiting!

June 26, 2012 at 11:57 am |
    • Just Claims, No Truth

"There has never been time as such we're living in, when man is so advanced, yet the deprivation of human character on WORLDWIDE scale, is unprecedented from any time in history of mankind!"

Prism,

Christians have been saying this over and over for hundreds of years. Your religions claim that man is evil is more concerning than any claims of immorality. You have the idea man deserves to be wiped from the arth and punished is just sadistic.

June 26, 2012 at 12:01 pm |
    • Getreal

I would rather find the reason that man feels the need to create gods for himself. Isolated groups create their own beliefs independent of others, yet most groups and cultures do create gods. During WW II, an army jeep was accidentally dropped on an island in the south pacific.The local tribe did not know where this came from, could not fathom the technology to create this wondrous object, and began worshipping it as a god. Later on this tribe and the jeep were discovered. WHy did they need to create a god out of this jeep.

Certainly even the most educated person can agree that there is some energy that sets me apart from the chemicals and electricity that make me up. I do not believe we have defined this energy properly yet, we haven't yet discovered how to create life, and perhaps we shouldn't or can't. Clearly from examples all around the world life finds a way in areas that we believed were impossible, to harsh, too toxic , and yet there is life. Given the propensity for life to exist, and the fact that hydrogen, oxygen and carbon are the most abundant elements in the universe, and the most likely elements to react with others, we have to ASSUME that life likely exists elsewhere. If it has reached the stage of sentience, does it also create gods for itself. If so, why?

June 26, 2012 at 12:15 pm |

@Getreal

I think it is simply fear of the unknown for the human species. I mean we do not see animals building places of worship, right? Uneducated and unenlightened humans always had the natural fear of the unknown. Look at the tribes people, they never saw a jeep before, I bet you it scared the heck out of them, so they worshiped it for its approval. Once you understand what the unknown is the fear goes away.

June 26, 2012 at 12:21 pm |

@Getreal

The fear goes away and so do the gods.

June 26, 2012 at 12:22 pm |
    • Getreal

But it still doesn't address why always gods. I agree it is born out of ignorance. I don't know therefore there must be a god( obviously flawed reasoning). True other life does not question its own existence, but it hasn't reached the level of sentience required. My question remains, why is the fallback almost always a god that requires worshipping. Strange phenomena. Is it something instinctual? Not all instincts are present in all humans, so where does this need come from

I think my sister was maybe on the right track when she said " We are the universe trying to figure itself out".

June 26, 2012 at 12:27 pm |
    • Humahn

Getreal,

People are sometimes sort of insulted by the fact that humans are social mammals. They seek a leader (of the pack, if you will), who has qualities of wisdom, benevolence, and the power to protect them from harm. They range from leader of the tribe, to leader of the nation, or some other group unit. Sometimes these human leaders were even considered to be gods. Since humans are aware that their lives will end, and they are not at all thrilled by this fact, they then seek an imaginary leader who will provide the same wisdom, benevolence and protection in a much hoped-for afterlife. It is not surprising that they envision this leader with human-like characteristics of love, anger, wisdom, benevolence, etc.

June 26, 2012 at 12:35 pm |
    • EarthenVessel

For all the 4 billion+ years researching athieists, please remember that according to the Bible (in 2nd Peter:3:8: "But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day."), you cannot measure the Almighty God

June 26, 2012 at 12:37 pm |

Humahn
      I think you might be missing my point. Cultures from around the world, isolated from each other, create gods. I think it is one of the strangest things that is shared among humans, that we feel this need to question everything, but why is it almost always some deity. Just the fact that all of these cultures do the same thing, isolated from each other fascinates me. Why can't people as a whole accept "I don't know" as an answer?

June 26, 2012 at 12:41 pm |

EarthenVessel
      Man created god in his own image. You are just spewing forth the words man has taught you over the years. My questions are of a more philosophical nature. You are part of the problem, assuming you have all the answers in your little guide book.
      Best move along as an actual discussion is going on

June 26, 2012 at 12:44 pm |

@Getreal

I'm sticking with my fear reasoning. At one time in my life I had fear about death. I mean it happens everyday, right? Then I questioned why I was here and what was my purpose? The only answer I found that made sense at that time was, well, there HAS to be something else but I don't know what it is so I just filled in the blanks with what religion had taught me. After awhile I didn't think the reasoning behind religion made any sense so I ventured to educate myself on other philosophical ideas. I studied many religions and the supernatural, astral projection, EVP and all the other stuff I thought might be a valid path to go down. After years of getting no relief from the nonsense I was studying I looked into the theory of evolution and natural selection and BINGO a light went off. I am at total peace, I am more happy then I have ever been and I know my time here is extremely precious and the notion of fear, death and god is all but a bad memory.

June 26, 2012 at 12:45 pm |

Voice of Reason
      The path you are on sounds very similar to mine. Baptised Presbyterian but knew that what I was being taught didn't make sense. Fortunately I had supportive parents that helped me find my own way. I have been an acknowledge atheist since I was 6 but studied religions my entire life. That is why the one question I have always had is Why this similarity in mans behavior when dealing with the big questions of life. It just seems so odd to me that so many come up with their own answers, but always seem to do it in the same way, creating answers in the form of deities. I should study social psychology a bit more,and maybe a bit more anthropology.

June 26, 2012 at 12:55 pm |

@Getreal

That's probably the best route to take, that's reading good scientific information. There's a ton of info on evolution of social structures and beliefs as well as evolutionary psychology. If you haven't read The God Delusion by Dawkins I highly recommend that. Also go to Kindle or iBooks and do a search and you'll come-up with some good info, great reading before we start dreaming during sleep!

June 26, 2012 at 1:16 pm |

@Getreal

By the way, great question! It is thought provoking and a deeper look into the inner workings of the evolutionary process. I do wonder if that "innate" quality will dissipate through natural selection going forward as man learns more about our existence? It's too bad we won't be around to experience it! But then again, is that a good thing or a bad thing? These are things that the believers would never question however.

June 26, 2012 at 1:22 pm |
    • Nii

THECMANCAN
      If religion cannot contain questioning then why is Theology the oldest course in the University! I think your lame assumption falls flat. Yes inxdeed some times people use force to enforce their theology just as people have done for science. However religionists of all types question.

June 26, 2012 at 1:31 pm |
    • WASP

@Getreal
      " That is why the one question I have always had is Why this similarity in mans behavior when dealing with the big questions of life."

that is about asking why the aztecs and the egyptians built pyramids; story telling was another means of passing information so as humans migrated all over the world our stories got more complex. when thunder would boom we couldn't say another human did it and seeing we hunted most animals, it wasn't them so it had to be something larger than us.........thus the spirits were born, over time we called them gods, then came the bright idea to put all into one god. btw worst idea ever

June 26, 2012 at 1:34 pm |

WASP
      If you read some of the previous posts,my question pertains to many of these groups, completely isolated from each other, still answer questions with some deity. Why?

June 26, 2012 at 1:48 pm |

Voice of Reason
      Thank you...to me lately it has been THE question. For example, why are you and I, who do not believe in a deity, so driven to explore the questions like "What is the energy we call life?' and Where does life originate. Accepting some other mans answer "From God" gives us no peace, so we continue to question and search. What is it that drives us, nearly all of us to this search?
      Those are the real questions.
      When someone asks me "Why are we here?" my answer is "Why do you think there is a reason?"

June 26, 2012 at 1:56 pm |

@Getreal

At this juncture I do not feel there is a reason and my search for the why landed me in a place where I am totally comfortable with the answers I have found. I often ask the believers as to why does there have to be a god? The array of different answers are varied and basically ludicrous as they do not make any sense to me. Often there are no responses. Once I got past the why, a whole new meaning of living came into focus. It is so very precious that we are able to experience such an incredible existence, to be aware of moments in time as they will never be again. My frustration lies in the perpetuation of religious beliefs and the concept of an all seeing, all knowing god, the damnation and sin and all of the other garbage that goes along with it, especially an afterlife, Am I saying there isn't a god? I don't think there is. Does that make it so? Absolutely not. Life is short, enjoy it but do not tolerate the falseness of the unproven. Attempt to liberate the blind from their dogma. We all will have one last breath and we will all gasp for more. Will there be panic and fear at that moment? I don't know but right now I think I will be tired enough to close my eyes and take on the process of dying. I live today without a god and I will go to my death with that in mind. Peace.

June 26, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
    • PRISM 1234

BRC, you've totally missed the meaning of my post.
      Too bad English language is so poor, having so few choices , that it has to use one word for few different meanings...But you COULD have known what I was saying if you had spiritual understanding. But that's the problem, you don't.
      I think it would be fitting to to sum up the whole matter in one sentence by saying:
      The most dam-nable sin of man(kind) is when man declares his independence from God, his Creator, and proclaims he does not need Him! This is the most detestable form of PRIDE...... and that's when mabn's downfall begins, and that's when he spells his own destruction! And that's where we are today!

June 26, 2012 at 5:52 pm |
    • JWT

You can go to hell if you want to Prism – after all it's your fantasy. But I don;t believe in your god at all and never have. Thus I will never have to inhabit your hell. Enjoy life – I know I am.

June 26, 2012 at 6:17 pm |
    • PRISM 1234

You can go to hell if you want to Prism – after all it's your fantasy. But I don;t believe in your god at all and never have. Thus I will never have to inhabit your hell"
      It's not your say what fantasy and what the fact are, neither do you have a say in where will be your eternal habitation!
      You can wave your fist in the face if your Maker and reject Jesus Christ , the only hope you have, but you'll never change this reality that you'll stand before Him without covering for your sins, damned for eternity because you were to proud to humble yourself before Him and acknowledge your need for Him. You are NOT YOUR OWN! You owe your life to Him who gave to you! Get it through your thick scull, man!

June 26, 2012 at 9:36 pm |
    • Thinker

Getreal, that is a good question! I would guess that different human groups come up with gods in particular because of our tendancy to ascribe human values and motives to everything. People get angry at in-animate objects all the time even though there is absolutly no thought process to get mad at. How often do you hear someone say 'If my car doesn't decide to die...." or some such. We project our own emotions and desires onto things that cannot feel or want anything. Its not much of a leap from there to deciding that that storm was rather mad at you or that the earth is mad when a volcano erupts. Or that the sky hates you or is telling you something when you see a meteor (a big one not a 'shooting star').
      We probably think this way as it promotes ascribing these values to other humans as well, which allows us to work together better as we try to understand each others motives and goals, as well as what makes someone angry. I would guess that gods are thus a by-product of our evolving the ability to communicate and understand each other.

June 27, 2012 at 8:54 am |
  18. GRN

If she's such a "top" atheist blogger, how come this is the first I've ever heard of her? I follow every popular atheist blog and communicate on all of them. I've never heard of Leah.

June 26, 2012 at 10:04 am |
    • Mitch

Agreed, never hear of her, nor her contribution (this is one way to make it into the news, cynical but true) in any case she is now a poster child for the religious... congrats to her on your conversion.. that is if there actually was one..

June 26, 2012 at 10:39 am |
    • Voice of Reason

You never heard of her because she was a plant on a religious website.

June 26, 2012 at 11:59 am |
    • Real Deal

She was/is merely a frequent poster on Patheos, a for-profit "faith" blogging site.

June 26, 2012 at 12:02 pm |
    • EarthenVessel

It is expected that there would be an attempt to diminish such an occurence where a top atheist blogger delcares for Jesus Christ. Anyhow, whether popular or not its too bad it cannot disappear like a bad dream. Talking about dreams, I wonder how the "Darwinians" would explain how humans evolved the ability to dream.

June 26, 2012 at 12:17 pm |
    • tallulah13

EV
      All your protestation does not alter the fact that no one here had actually heard of this blogger before this report. Shouldn't someone be known before they are called "prominent"?

June 26, 2012 at 12:21 pm |
    • Just Claims, No Truth

EV,

REM sleep is demonstrated among many animals, which is itself a demonstration of evolution.

June 26, 2012 at 12:27 pm |

@EarthenVessel

Dreams are not just human experiences as animals dream as well. It is a natural process in the brain when one sleeps. If you knew anything about religion and the source of belief in gods they were typically brought on by dreams people had. They would wake and actually believe what they dreamed. The bible is full of people dreaming and claiming things to be true. You have 86 billion neurons inside of your brain and in order for it to work properly it has to refresh its proteins that have been folded improperly. Hope this helps!

June 26, 2012 at 12:32 pm |

@EarthenVessel

One more thing about dreams; they are usually an abstraction of events that have happened during the waking day.

June 26, 2012 at 12:35 pm |
    • ME II

@VoiceOfReaon,
      "You have 86 billion neurons inside of your brain and in order for it to work properly it has to refresh its proteins that have been folded improperly."
      REM sleep is speculated to be a 'processing' of sorts that the brains of many animals perform, but I didn't know it had anything to do with folding or repairing improperly folded proteins... what's that based on?

June 26, 2012 at 2:17 pm |
    • sam

I once dreamed that Vin Diesel was chasing me through a KMart and trying to kill me. Explain that one, earthenvessel.

June 26, 2012 at 2:35 pm |

@ME II

Sleep is a regenerative process which involves proteins. Throughout the waking day we use proteins and a bunch of them get disfigured through usage and they do not fold properly as a normal protein would. This is what makes us tired, used proteins that do not fold properly. I'm probably not explaining properly but I think I have the basis correct. The sleep state allows our brain to replenish the proteins and rid ourselves of the damaged or used proteins.
      There are some very interesting studies on this subject especially when you get into the heads of dolphins, ducks and mice. For example, dolphins as well as ducks sleep with only one half of their brain at a time, the other part of the brain is fully awake. For the dolphins it is for breathing as they must be thinking to breath whereas humans it is automatic. Again, I'm sure if you do your research you will get a better understanding of this fascinating process we all experience on a daily basis.

June 26, 2012 at 3:55 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

Dunno sam I think it's only important what it means to you

June 26, 2012 at 4:36 pm |
  19. Atheist Hunter

just sharing..................http://savecalifornia.com/not-born-this-way.html

June 26, 2012 at 9:38 am |
    • Skep Rep

Can't speak for yourself, eh? How sad.

June 26, 2012 at 9:52 am |
    • Fronk

Your website, http://savecalifornia.com/not-born-this-way.html, is selfish and only reflects what is is your little mind. How can you be so privy to the mind of your imaginary friend and then put out crap like this particularly when it does not reflect any sort of ideals you spew according to your religion? It is not moral to condem people becuase they are not the same as you. Your website is crap and you are a hypocrit.

June 26, 2012 at 10:13 am |
    • GRN

bigot

June 26, 2012 at 10:23 am |
    • Just Claims, No Truth

Atheist Hunter loves freedom....but only for people he agrees with.

June 26, 2012 at 10:33 am |
    • JWT

So you are claimingit's just like some christians views of their religion.

June 26, 2012 at 5:22 pm |
  20. aurelius

How about telling us about Catholics going atheists!

June 26, 2012 at 9:16 am |
    • GRN

BTW, I'm an atheist who was raised in the Catholic Church and was taught all the nonsense Catholics are taught about angels and holy ghosts and obedience.

June 26, 2012 at 10:06 am |
    • Just Claims, No Truth

Oh there are plenty of those (me included), that is not news because it is common.

Now an atheist going to catholicism, THAT'S news.

June 26, 2012 at 10:36 am |