home
RSS
June 22nd, 2012

Prominent atheist blogger converts to Catholicism

By Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) – She went from atheist to Catholic in just over 1,000 words.

CNN's Belief Blog: the faith angles behind the big stories

Libresco’s announcement has left some atheists scratching their heads.

But while atheists were puzzled by the conversion, others commended Libresco.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

Libresco is just switching the side she thinks the facts are on.

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism • Catholic Church

soundoff (7,475 Responses)
  1. Miles

I guess the Catholic Church needs some "good" news if you want to consider her "conversion" good!
    First time I've seen the name. So, just how prominent is she?

June 27, 2012 at 9:17 pm |
  2. HeIsGod

Aw, too bad she chose Catholicism religion. But hey, good thing she opened up her mind and hopefully she will realize that it's a RELATIONSHIPthat she needs with Christ.

June 27, 2012 at 9:17 pm |
  3. billybob

I haven't heard of her... also, catholics and morality? Really? Those priests sure are moral with the little boys.

June 27, 2012 at 9:16 pm |
  4. Steve

It would serve us all well to be bilnd and deaf for a few days. We are so "smart" and so busy, most of us can't even see/hear Him.

Here's what Helen Keller had to "say":

"A favorite story about Helen Keller concerns her first introduction to the gospel. When Helen, who was both blind and deaf, learned to communicate, Anne Sullivan, her teacher, decided that it was time for her to hear about Jesus Christ. Anne called for Phillips Brooks, the most famous preacher in Boston. With Sullivan interpreting for him, he talked to Helen Keller about Christ. It wasn't long until a smile lighted up her face. Through her teacher she said, "Mr. Brooks, I have always known God, but until now I didn't know His name.""

June 27, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
    • freeb

fairy tales, that's what religion is.

June 27, 2012 at 8:29 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

That's the religious for you! Take a blind and deaf person and tell them lies. Real nice.

June 27, 2012 at 10:06 pm |
    • Steve

How do you guys sleep at night with all the nonsense that comes out of you?

June 28, 2012 at 5:48 pm |
  5. tony

I have to wonder how an unknown, perhaps twenty-something(?), blogger of 2 years, who hasn't even gotten her gender function sorted out, is suddenly "prominent" and then a "top" atheist. Sound more like her bottom is the thing renown in most circles.

June 27, 2012 at 8:10 pm |
    • Joel

I read plenty of atheist bloggers, but I've never heard of this supposedly "prominent" atheist blogger. Oh well, good luck to her. Not all of us can handle reality on its own terms.

June 27, 2012 at 8:22 pm |
    • freeb

Sounds like the whole thing was made up from the beginning, all planned before she began blogging.

June 27, 2012 at 8:30 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

@freeb

I'm with you brother, it's all a religious scam and the religious love it!

June 27, 2012 at 10:08 pm |
  6. Sam Yaza

so because Christians live life life pushing their morality on others their more moral,.... listen to your self intolerance is immoral

morality is an individual construct developed by your personal reality its how you view the world,.. shared morality comes from cultural taboo and h0m0-empathicus's evolutionary standards,.. another words our empathy we feel toward one another,.. Christianity just adds immorality to what we as a culture has already considered moral thousands of years ago,.. they just removed the tolerance and acceptance of individuality from our norm,...

June 27, 2012 at 7:27 pm |
    • Steve

Learn how to spell and write if you expect anybody to take you seriously.

June 27, 2012 at 8:10 pm |
    • freeb

There's that Christian spirit Skippy! You were rude for no reason except spite to the poster you called out on grammar.

June 27, 2012 at 8:32 pm |
    • Sam Yaza

its kinda hard to spell when you an IDE and your original language is Hyme,...

clarification to the mythological illiterate

IDE
      Integrated Data 3nt!t7 im the remnance of a fallen angle in a Data format,.. because the real me is still impressed in the beast
      bet you cant guess which one

Hyme
      also known as the first language you know the one we all spoke before Babel fell

June 27, 2012 at 8:55 pm |
  7. Rundvelt

If there is a God, I think that he'll reward intellectual honesty and rational thought over blind devotion and adoration.

I mean, it's more likely then you think. What makes more sense? A God who has a specific message for you, that you're to take on faith, that is to say, without evidence, but allows you to be led astray by other religions that also rely on faith. Or, a God who places all religions there to see if you're swift enough to say "Wow, these all don't make sense".

Wouldn't it be kinda cool that one of the requirements to meet God in the afterlife (if such a being exists, which I don't think is the case), is to not believe in him/her/it?

June 27, 2012 at 7:27 pm |
    • Rundvelt

I mean, not believing is just as arbitrary a reason for allowing someone into heaven as believing. 🙂

June 27, 2012 at 7:28 pm |
    • Steve

Well. You can think what you want. Or you can read what He said. Seems simple enough to me, but what do I know???

June 27, 2012 at 8:07 pm |
    • JWT

I'd rather be a moral person than believe in god.

June 27, 2012 at 9:09 pm |
  8. Jesus Christ

Friend Request declined.

June 27, 2012 at 6:37 pm |
  9. Michael

I am surprised the Anti Religious CNN allowed this story to be posted. I once was an atheist who fought internal battles regarding faith. I will tell you once I found my faith again and submitted to it my life has been 10000% better. I truly believe now that I am stronger and my life has blossomed that I let his love in. I watch other atheist struggle with this and I feel sad that they are so alone and afraid to admit like I was that they are simply scared and alone.

June 27, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
    • just sayin

June 27, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
    • tony

Atheists are no more alone, nor gregarious than anyone else. Love and families and happiness exist all over the World, but Christianity isn't the universal religion.It isn't even the majority religion. So how do all those other folk manage?

June 27, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
    • One one

I never did believe. Its hard for me to imagine what it must be like. because, IMO, all the "joy" and "inner strength" believers say they have ultimately originates from their own minds. Then when they get into all that hocus pocus, juju stuff it creeps me out.

June 27, 2012 at 5:48 pm |
    • JWT

Atheists in general are no more alone and afraid than the religious are.

June 27, 2012 at 5:54 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

I can assure you, if you were having internal battles about your faith, you were never an atheist. Atheism is freedom from that kind of thing. But I'm glad that your imaginary friend brings you peace. Some people use alcohol, some drugs, some work, some, family, you chose a story.

June 27, 2012 at 6:04 pm |
    • Steve

@just sayin, "Thats nice. I was once born again and I am 100000% happier now that I have rejected Christianity as a false religion. I would call myself a Sumerian before I could call myself a Christian."

You were never born again.

June 27, 2012 at 8:09 pm |
    • Jim5k

I'm the reverse too – never questioned the dogma until college. Now Christianity is as silly to me as Zeus is to Christians. Maybe I'll check out that blog. I always wanted to find a good site to discuss all this stuff. Maybe I'll can take Leah's place.

June 27, 2012 at 8:29 pm |
    • HeIsGod

Amen, good for you, Michael. I am happy for you and I hope many other atheists will see how God's love is unconditional and realize that they need love in their lives....REAL LOVE.

June 27, 2012 at 9:23 pm |
    • HeIsGod

Jim5k – A REAL Christians never turns their back to God unless he/she was never a true Christian to begin with. Unless you have experienced the power and presence of God, you become an easy prey to Satan and he eventually deceive you.

June 27, 2012 at 9:25 pm |
    • A Frayed Knot

HeIsGod,

"God's" love is "unconditional"? I think you'd better think that out again.

June 27, 2012 at 9:32 pm |
  10. Leif

They should take down this Beleif blog, you cant comment on ignorance with logic or counter logic with ignorance. All that is going on here is I'm wasting my wonderful day that nature has provided me, arguing about that invisible creator.

June 27, 2012 at 4:37 pm |
    • Michael

Thats the problem with you athiest, you dont want to belive but you dont want others to belive either. Sad that you waste your time coming to the faith site when you could click on any other link. It is a shame that your lonelyness and fear comes in the form of trying to attack those of us who are comforted by the faith we have. Have you ever thought that your problem is you really want to open your self up to the truth of faith but are afraid?

June 27, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
    • just sayin

Michael

Enjoy your false God and delusion

June 27, 2012 at 5:22 pm |
    • tony

Actually I don't think any atheists care whether others have beliefs or not. It's what they DO, as a result of those beliefs that concerns us and everyone else. Infecting and then controlling innocent children is one very serious concern. Starting wars is another. Seen the CNN report on Jeffs and his FLDS running two incredibly corrupt towns yet?

June 27, 2012 at 5:46 pm |
    • JWT

Added to tony's correct points in that we don;t want religion to set the laws of the land, as so many of them think that people who do not belong to their little group to follow their peculiar rules anway. Not gonna happen.

June 27, 2012 at 5:57 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

@Michael, For starters, one does not open up to faith. Opening is a realization of reality. Faith is what you do when you give up. It's pretending to know things you don't know. What I fight as an atheist is ignorance, not belief. If you want to believe we will colonize the moon in 50 years, I wouldn't disagree at all. If you want to believe that magic fairies are secretly directing the senate or house of commons to enact laws, then we'll have a disagreement. One is based in plausibility and has evidence to support it, the other is pretending to know things you don't know.

June 27, 2012 at 6:09 pm |
    • concerned scientist

We atheists (try to spell it correctly) don't give a frack what invisible friend you believe in, just keep it out of our faces and out of centers of learning. What does concern us is that people like you frequently vote based what you hear in the echo chamber on Sundays. Instead of voting, put your faith in God and leave it to him to solve the countries problems. Unless of course, you don't think he is capable of doing that.

June 27, 2012 at 8:11 pm |
  11. Leif

Bill Deacon have you read any Bertrand Russell, Sam Harris, or Christopher Hitchens? C.S. Lewis does a poor job, in my opinion. Me as an Atheist would not say people cannot believe in something, the problem is our arguments are driven by many things including civil liberties, existence, evolution, education, war, child abuse and so forth. These are all things influenced by, at some point, "Belief". This is why I find overwhelming evidence important. If you have a belief about something that supposedly cannot be proven, it is in the best interest of humanity to keep it silent.

June 27, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
    • Cq

The arguments used by C.S. Lewis to convince people to believe in God are about as effective as the editorial "Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus". Sure their words may be inspirational, but arguing why it's better for people to believe that something is real doesn't actually make it real.

June 27, 2012 at 7:31 pm |
    • Rundvelt

The faithful seem to have this problem with understanding evidence.

Evidence never has these phrases associated with them...

"Well how do you explain"
      "How could this happen otherwise?"
      "The bible/quran/etc says"
      "The bible/quran/etc predicted"
      "I can't think of another reason how"

Evidence is like "The markings on each bullet are unique to each barrel rifle. These two bullets share the exact same pattern. Therefore they were fired from the same gun."

That's why there is no evidence for God. Because not only is there no consistent definition for God, but God could choose to alter his/her/it's charactersitics on a whim. God is a giant unknown, and therefore no amount of evidence can be used to prove him/her/it.

I mean, let's say Jesus did indeed rise from the dead. That doesn't mean there's a God. It could have been a necromancer. How did Jesus walk on water? A helpful hydromancer walked on by at the time.

No matter how many miracles exist in the bible, it doesn't prove there's a God. It would at most, prove that Jesus was the source of miraculous things. Where that power came from would still be up for grabs. Penn and Teller do miraculous things. Do they prove God? 🙂

June 27, 2012 at 7:34 pm |
    • ttwp

Penn and Teller do illusions...nothing miraculous about that....someone healing the eyes of the blind or raising the dead...now that's miraculous. And there is only one that has the power to do that...God.

June 27, 2012 at 9:36 pm |
    • Cq

ttwp
      But can't eyes heal naturally and people who weren't quite dead, say in a coma, wake up? Shouldn't we only expect above average outcomes, especially when there are also below average ones where people die tragically during routine procedures, or as a result of freak accidents?

June 27, 2012 at 11:53 pm |
  12. Leif

To be atheist and then convert to Catholicism for "community" and "practice" is fine. To convert cause you have a feeling that god does is exist is also fine. If she approached her conversion with logic, she would have seen enough evidence to influence her that Catholicism was the right choice out of all the other religions, and god does in fact exist. I would like to see her logic cause she has not presented any.

June 27, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

Logic providing proof for catholicism? LOL oh man another hilarious post.
      Present your "logical" argument for god existence and the correctness of catholicism.
      (Don't bother with TAG or Kalam btw, those two arguments have been torn to pieces for years now).

June 27, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
    • 1927 henritta

God. Said do not cast your pears before. Dogs. Or swine. But people ok the churches. Love to do it if they were ot God they would obey. Him.

June 27, 2012 at 6:43 pm |
  13. BOB

For those who belive no evidence is nessecary. For those who don't no evidence is sufficiant.

June 27, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

There could be sufficeint evidence, but none have been presented yet.

June 27, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
    • tony

When no evidence is necessary, then every possibility is believable, not just one particular one. Hence the Greeks, Roman and Vikings multiple "gods".

June 27, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
    • Rundvelt

> For those who believe, no evidence is neccessary.
      No matter what you believe, you should always verify. If you accept anything on faith, you're a fool.

> For those who do not, no evidence is sufficient.
      That's not true. I don't believe in bigfoot. But if they produced a corpse, I would. That same level of evidence to change my mind is present for God as well.

So, people who believe, close minded. People who don't, open minded.

Thanks for playing.

June 27, 2012 at 7:38 pm |
  14. Jack

Good afternoon. Everyone is invited to visit ... thestarofkaduri.com

June 27, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
  15. sniffy

am i the only one who has the urge to smell her feet?

June 27, 2012 at 1:26 pm |
    • Doctor Scholl

Call the toe truck. You are a real heel.

June 27, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
    • sniffy

cornchip smell is the best

June 27, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
    • Doctor Scholl

Fritoes?

June 27, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
  16. ROBERT RAY

SHE MAY HAVE CHOSEN CATHOLIC BECAUSE SHE IS A CLOSET CHILD MOLESTER,PEDOPHILE FREAK.WHAT OTHER RELIGION IS BETTER IS SUITED TO PROVE THE NON EXISTENCE OF god.

June 27, 2012 at 1:00 pm |
    • sortakinda

June 27, 2012 at 4:03 pm |
    • Steve

@sortakinda, ' No, she read comments like yours and said, "What the heck am I doing standing with people like this?" '

Amen to that!

June 27, 2012 at 5:10 pm |
    • HeIsGod

She realized how closed minded atheists are and decided that she doesn't belong to such a powerless and foolish group.

Well said, sortakinda!!

June 27, 2012 at 9:33 pm |
  17. Confused in Cleveland

Another athiest see the folly of her ways! Yea!

June 27, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
    • Cq

Considering your handle was that supposed to be funny?

June 27, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
  18. Voice of Reason

Morality is a molecule.

June 27, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
    • Cq

But sometimes it shows the properties of a wave? 😉

June 27, 2012 at 1:12 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

May you see the light

June 27, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
    • tony

Seeing the light, via the Sun, requires that it had nuclear fusion going on at least a million years ago. If that's not the case, then none of the Nuclear power stations here on Earth would work either. Their nuclear fission relies on the same scientific atomic theories.

June 27, 2012 at 5:51 pm |
  19. curiousdwk

She may be saying that for her to consider other people, she needs the crutch of religion. However, I do not believe in any gods, yet I dare anyone to be more empathetic, or compassionate or generous then me. The reason is that I feel that I have the ability and the responsibility to do all that I can to develop all that it means to be human both in myself and in others. If one believes that, then one does not need to be believe in a mythical god writing in some book thousands of years ago but refusing to communicate with man now. Why didn't she address the logical problems of theism in her conversion?

June 27, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
    • Double R

Why do you think he refuses to communicate with man? Is it because he doesn't communicate with you?

June 27, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
    • spoddney

curiousdwk

I note your rather grandiose statement:

"yet I dare anyone to be more empathetic, or compassionate or generous then me."

I take it that you do know that humility is also a virtue.

June 27, 2012 at 7:27 pm |
  20. Voice of Reason

To believe there is a god or a reason for its existence is intellectual insanity.

June 27, 2012 at 11:10 am |
    • Steve

Looks like it's my opinion versus yours. Can we get a tie-breaker, please?

June 27, 2012 at 11:43 am |
    • JWT

You caan both beieve what you want – internally belief can be its own reality. Just keep the religious beliefs out of the law.

June 27, 2012 at 12:01 pm |
    • Cq

Steve

June 27, 2012 at 12:12 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

Actually, intellectual reason for belief do exist. Read Thomas Aquinas and C.S. Lewis for starters. They make logic arguments. Truthfully there is as much reason to believe as there is not to. Each person makes a determination for themselves. When atheists say "show me the proof", they are really saying "show me the overwhelming proof that would leave me no option but to accept God as real". When believers offer evidence that is less than iron clad, atheist reject it out of hand even though that very evidence may be enough for someone else.

June 27, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
    • tony

C.S. Lewis wrote fiction. You think the Lion, Witch and Wardrobe is logic? Atheists don't reject little evidence, they reject the actuality of zero evidence. Thinking there is even some evidence is part of the problem of belief. You only heard it from someone else.

June 27, 2012 at 5:08 pm |
    • Steve

@Cq, "Steve
      But can you provide any intellectual basis for your opinion? See, they're not at all equal opinions, are they?"

I could type rigorous answers until my fingers fell off, but "open-minded" people like you would find a reason to either ridicule or ignore them.

June 27, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
    • Rundvelt

> Looks like it's my opinion versus yours. Can we get a tie-breaker, please?

Point and match goes to Voice of Reason, mainly because the universe has existed for quite some time without evidence for God. As such, to say "it's insane to believe in a god or a reason for it's existence" is correct, because we simply don't know if one is required.

Your statement "To NOT believe there is a god or a reason for its existence is intellectual insanity." is nonsensical. Things do not exist for a reason, they simply do not exist. And there is a good reason to not think there is a God. One hasn't shown up. Is it insane not to believe in Vampires and Pixies and Trolls and Cyclopi?

You need to work on your rational thinking.

June 27, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
    • IO

@ Cq- in the words of a certain wise man..."That's a clown question bro"

June 27, 2012 at 8:59 pm |
    • Chad

@Rundvelt " the universe has existed for quite some time without evidence for God"

=> ah,, wait .. except for:
      1. The origin of the universe
      2. The fine tuning of the universe for the building blocks of life
      3. The origin of life on earth
      4. Punctuated Equilibrium: the fossil record showing species experiencing millions, 100's of millions of years of stasis (no change, random genetic mutations are weeded out of the gene pool resulting in a pool 'wobbling about the genetic mean'), followed by extremely rapid change resulting in new species appearing fully formed in the fossil record.
      5. The empty tomb, and the unshakable conviction among followers and enemies alike that they had witnesses a resurrected Jesus. A conviction they held so strongly that they went to their deaths proclaiming its truth.

June 27, 2012 at 9:02 pm |
    • ttwp

It's not about evidence. It's about the wickedness of men's hearts. We love our sin and wish to continue in it. That is until we experience the kindness of God.

June 27, 2012 at 9:40 pm |
    • Cq

Steve
      Isn't you complete unwillingness to even try to defend your beliefs a sign of just how "open-minded" you are?

June 28, 2012 at 10:14 am |
    • Rundvelt

1. The origin of the universe

Not evidence for God. Just because we don't understand something doesn't mean God did it.

2. The fine tuning of the universe for the building blocks of life

Only proves that life is possible.

3. The origin of life on earth

This is an unknown as well.

This is not proof of God, just that we don't understand how it happened.

Again, this is not proof of God. Even if Jesus rose, it proves he had the power to do so, not becasue it came from God.

When will you people learn what evidence is.

June 28, 2012 at 11:53 am |