home
RSS
June 22nd, 2012

Prominent atheist blogger converts to Catholicism

By Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) – She went from atheist to Catholic in just over 1,000 words.

CNN's Belief Blog: the faith angles behind the big stories

Libresco’s announcement has left some atheists scratching their heads.

But while atheists were puzzled by the conversion, others commended Libresco.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

Libresco is just switching the side she thinks the facts are on.

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism • Catholic Church

soundoff (7,475 Responses)
  1. Steve

All of this speculating why SHE did it is mute, We can know God only because He first knew us, just as we choose Him only because He first chose us (John 6:44; 15:16), and we love Him only because He first loved us (1 John 4:19).

June 28, 2012 at 1:28 pm |
    • Huh?

mute...?

June 28, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
    • Steve

Moot

June 28, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
    • Sim34

"We can know God only because He first knew us"
      You can drop the name of any god into that formula and it still works for those who believe in him, you know?

June 28, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
  2. Jack

On this day, all are invited to visit ... thestarofkaduri.com

June 28, 2012 at 1:03 pm |
  3. Emmy

You don't "switch" to a religion because of facts, you switch because of your beliefs. Obviously she doesn't see that the whole point of Catholicism is believing in JESUS, NOT their opinion on gay mariage and abortion. If she wanted to choose sides on controversial issues, then she should get involved in politics, then find Jesus.

June 28, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
    • Cq

Emmy
      Does the same thing hold true for people switching to evangelical Christianity? Are they being encouraged to work out their feelings regarding the controversial issues before finding Jesus? Probably not, right?

June 28, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
  4. PRISM 1234

In the Beginning there was God, and everyone BELIVED !
    In the End everyone will believe too, NO EXCEPTIONS!

June 28, 2012 at 11:51 am |
    • Steve

Ain't it da truth. Ain't it da trutth.

June 28, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
    • Sim34

You boys remind me of the images of little German children cheering the trains carrying Jews to the death camps.

June 28, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
    • ME II

I thought that In the beginning, there wasn't anyone.

June 28, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

In the beginning there was a zero infinity; in the end there will be an infinite zero. At least that's what our perspective and quantum mechanics imply.

June 28, 2012 at 5:47 pm |
    • WWJD

In the end, there'll be nobody to believe. NO EXCEPTIONS

June 28, 2012 at 8:51 pm |
  5. tuffboy

It sounds more like a change from democrat to republican than athiest to christian. The christian morals are in line with her morals so she chooses to switch? I bought a house with stained glass windows and I love them. Does that mean I should join a church too?

June 28, 2012 at 11:07 am |
    • Sim34

Yup! It's like people choosing to be communists just because they find it to be the best match for the economy they have in Star Trek.

June 28, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
  6. Cal

So when do we get the "Prominent atheist blogger converts to Catholicism" article draws nearly 7000 comment article?

June 28, 2012 at 10:41 am |
  7. mayflowertwin21

She seems pretty young for her pronouncements to be given much credence. There are many Catholics who have gone the opposite direction for the same reasons, with equally strong examination of conscience.

June 28, 2012 at 9:40 am |
    • Laura

And I am one of them

June 28, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
  8. weighingin

seriously, this makes me sick...

June 28, 2012 at 8:37 am |
  9. ChiefKurtz

“And it is external from us. And when push came to shove, that is the belief I wouldn’t let go of. And that is something I can’t prove.”

Sounds like she's still unsure and still looking. Atheism is about belief, not about what you know.

June 28, 2012 at 7:39 am |
    • ME II

"Atheism is about belief, not about what you know."
      Huh? ... lack of belief?

June 28, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
    • ChiefKlutz

Not even close

June 28, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
  10. Simon

She claims she converted because she saw morality as being "external from us". The only way that makes any sense is if human beings had no understanding of why certain actions are good or bad. If someone told her it was good to hop around on one foot all day, would she follow their advice without question? Of course not. And if she was told to stick a knife in a helpless old lady, would she happily do so. I certainly hope not! I'm quite sure she understands what moral instructions are sensible, ridiculous or wrong, so why does she think they need to come from somewhere else? (In any case, of course, they never come from a booming voice from the sky, just other human beings – so the idea that religious moral instructions are from an "external" source is absurd.)

June 28, 2012 at 7:17 am |
  11. Kebos

Really. I follow "religiously" the top bloggers and I've never heard of her.

June 28, 2012 at 6:53 am |
    • Dervid

June 28, 2012 at 8:44 am |
    • Steve

@Dervid

"Me too, no idea who she is. If Richard Dawkins had converted, then it might be news ... otherwise, boring ..."

No you wouldn't. You would respond with the usual, "he must be losing his mind..."

LOL!!!

June 28, 2012 at 1:30 pm |
    • ME II

@Steve,
      ... still news.

June 28, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  12. Pumpkin Plan

Someone essentially lend a hand to make seriously articles I'd state. This is the first time I frequented your website page and up to now? I amazed with the research you made to create this actual post amazing. Fantastic job!

June 28, 2012 at 4:39 am |
  13. Peteyroo

Top? Prominent? I'd like to see what you call average or regular.

June 28, 2012 at 3:33 am |
  14. Bryce

Hmmm...I'm pretty familiar and I guess "prominent" on online atheist websites and I've never heard of her, nor has anyone else I talk with regularly.

Well, whatever. So she changed her world view? Good for her. Unfortunately her arguments for converting to catholicism does very little to prove catholicisms case. She claims she converted after thinking about death and morality and decided she liked the idea of ever lasting life. No kidding! As opposed to atheists that all wished they could die a short life? Silliness.

And morality? Then she goes on to list but a few of the immoral tenets of catholicism. Someone already pointed out that it's not like the arguments for catholicism have changed over the pats 100 years.

"I've really thought about it and...I've decided to become a muslim because I kind of like the concept of a bunch of virgins when I die"

Such solid logic.

Anyway, good luck to Leah. That's one conversion and according to global statistics about 2 million catholics de-converted during 2011. I'll take those numbers. (Now if only CNN ran a story for all of them)

June 28, 2012 at 1:50 am |
  15. Bill

I understand her conversion and agree with the concept of a moral compass. Treating people well and doing good are completely arbitrary and/or subjective otherwise. However, she could have picked a much better moral compass than the Roman Catholic Church.

June 28, 2012 at 1:34 am |
    • Zed Mezcalhead

I agree. Her compass is a little wonky. She needs yo invest in a new one. One that points North instead of south.

June 28, 2012 at 3:07 am |
    • Zed Mezcalhead

I agree. Her compass is a little wonky. She needs to invest in a new one. One that points North instead of south.

June 28, 2012 at 3:08 am |
    • Cq

Moral compasses, like the real ones, have to be calibrated to where the north magnetic pole is, which fluctuates pretty much every year. Using an outdated idea of where north magnetic is will lead you astray, and religion tends to set their moral compasses by ancient moral norms that don't even come close to indicating where the moral pole is today. Because they rely on outdated information religious moral compasses aren't that useful anymore.

June 28, 2012 at 10:30 am |
  16. bananaspy

So.. what facts are there? As far as I'm aware, we're still arguing the same points about religion we were 2,000 years ago, and religion is still providing the same stale answers. Catholicism offers no more "answers" regarding morality than science does, or any other religion for that matter. If you want a truly moral philosophy to live by, look into Eastern philosophies.

June 28, 2012 at 1:29 am |
    • Cq

2000 years ago people believed in thousands more gods than they do today, but the various arguments have whittled that number down to just a handful. Once everyone realizes that the same arguments against the Greek, Roman, Norse, Chinese, Aztec and other gods work equally well against their god then this particular superst.ition will fade completely.

June 28, 2012 at 10:22 am |
  17. edocol

enjoy your 15 minutes traitor

June 28, 2012 at 1:25 am |
  18. Peteyroo

Has CNN run out of topics? This one is getting a little long in the tooth. It seems like it's been around for months. How many new posts can there be after 90 pages?

June 28, 2012 at 1:23 am |
  19. James

Never heard of her...why is this a story?...

"Prominent Mall Santa now believes in the Real Santa" This stuff gives me a headache...

June 28, 2012 at 1:21 am |
    • augustghost

LMAO

June 28, 2012 at 1:58 am |
    • Mike

Now that is some funny stuff right there! Love it!

June 28, 2012 at 2:24 am |
    • Peteyroo

James, you are spot on! Mall Santa meet Leah.

June 28, 2012 at 3:25 am |
    • Dervid

^^^^^ Good one, LMAO!

June 28, 2012 at 8:46 am |
    • Laura

Very funny, James!

June 28, 2012 at 12:27 pm |
  20. hghhhghghghghhhhr

I JUST HAD A MAD SHROOM TRIP, WANNA JOIN MY RELIGION

June 28, 2012 at 12:45 am |
    • Sim34

I don't know. Are shrooms better for seeing God than burning bushes? 😉

June 28, 2012 at 10:17 am |
    • ME II

I'm guessing it depends on the bush.

June 28, 2012 at 5:06 pm |