home
RSS
June 22nd, 2012

Prominent atheist blogger converts to Catholicism

By Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) – She went from atheist to Catholic in just over 1,000 words.

CNN's Belief Blog: the faith angles behind the big stories

Libresco’s announcement has left some atheists scratching their heads.

But while atheists were puzzled by the conversion, others commended Libresco.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

Libresco is just switching the side she thinks the facts are on.

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism • Catholic Church

soundoff (7,475 Responses)
  1. James PDX Mostly Straight

The very premise, that morality is external to us, is fallacious. So no surpise that she would come to the fallacious conclusion that facts are on the side of Catholicism. What facts? The fact that God killed every person on the planet in a fit of rage and then forced the last surviving family to repopulate the planet through incest? Please. She either converted because she felt the need for a god or for the sake of sensationalism.

July 1, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
  2. tjber89

This women is a complete moron I am disgusted at this, basically she didn't want to do the work required to prove her original belief so she coped out and did what was easy

July 1, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
  3. outputcomment

Even worse is the last statement of this piece.

July 1, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
  4. Leftcoastrocky

"Prominent atheist blogger converts to Catholicism" and gains a large following and riches.

July 1, 2012 at 2:22 pm |
  5. James the Canadian

What a total cop-out. It sounds like she couldn't rationalize morality as possibly the creation of human beings – god forbid (pun intended) that we should take credit for the creation of our own morality.

July 1, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
  6. emefkay

"Top Atheist Blogger?" Never heard of her; and after visiting a few atheist discussion boards, it turns out that I'm not the only one. couldn't even find her blog with a simple google search...this is a sensationalist headline, not news worthy.

July 1, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
  7. JMissal

Sounds like a set-up by the Vatican to me.

And for those of you who don't believe that the Vatican wouldn't/couldn't plan such a thing over YEARS, think again. The secrecy shrouded in that city is far greater than that in our very own Pentagon.

July 1, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
  8. Jim Ryan

I'll bet the Vatican is happy that someone finally used the "In" door because the "out" door needs some oil on its hinges.

July 1, 2012 at 1:06 pm |
  9. pattymc

she chose to go back into the matrix

July 1, 2012 at 1:04 pm |
  10. DanW

She traded her devout belief in atheism for a different devout belief. Happens all the time.

July 1, 2012 at 1:02 pm |
  11. Joe Labriola

You can be "moral" without being a Catholic. What a short-sighted tool.

July 1, 2012 at 12:57 pm |
  12. WhatWhatWhat?

She was never an atheist, she was just pretending so that she could switch later. Anyone who says that religious delusion answers more questions than science is completely whacked out of their skull.

July 1, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
    • JonDconde

"Science" answers almost no net questions.. In fact it's fundamentally meant to create more. As a Biophysicist I believe that believing in something greater then ourselves is good and allows us to see and be captured in the wonder of life, as long as it is taken in context. The fact that realistically unintelligent self-described "intellectuals" use "Science" as a means to discredit something they themselves cannot prove or disprove truly disturbs me.

July 1, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
  13. tim

looks like the character in Crying Games...clearly not as smart as the fictional character though.

July 1, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
  14. pawnyourhalo

There are many roads to belief, and many roads to disbelief. And there is overlap. I know quite a few "religious nonbelievers" - mostly Catholics and Jews - who simply enjoy the culture in which they were raised, but don't really believe. Likewise, I know many faithful atheists, who don't have a god, but are completely positive that there's more than we understand at work in the universe. We see a lot of extremists in print - rabid believers and rabid nonbelievers - but for most honest people, there's a lot of hope and not a lot of absolute conviction. This is no shocker.

July 1, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
  15. PumpNDump

Newsflash, her catholic boyfriend DUMPED HER. Her conversion is based upon the musing of an unattractive, confused woman who knows very little about science and decided to convert. End of story.

July 1, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
  16. tony

It's here "bottom" that she seems to be best known for. She's pretty much a self-inflated nobody egotist.

July 1, 2012 at 12:31 pm |
  17. Nancy

I am an Atheist and active in the secular community online and have never heard of this person. "Top" atheist blogger? Ummm no. She's young she has a great deal to learn.

July 1, 2012 at 12:22 pm |
    • pawnyourhalo

Or unlearn! Perhaps that's why she selected an organization that is dogma-rich. All the comfort of structure, with none of the pressure to prove/test/exhibit your devotion, such as Evangelical Protestants have. Being tested on the Baltimore Catechism is a lot easier than speaking in tongues.

July 1, 2012 at 12:51 pm |
  18. Dan

It is safe for her,she is female Priests only want boys.

July 1, 2012 at 12:18 pm |
  19. Doug

I've never heard of this woman. But from a cursory look it's quite obvious this is about her boyfriend.

And anyway, where are all the CNN articles about all the Catholics becoming atheist?

July 1, 2012 at 11:55 am |
  20. Brandon

It's fairly obvious from her former banner "Unequally yoked: a geeky atheist picks fights with her Catholic boyfriend", that she converted to please her boyfriend. I don't care what religion you are, but I do find it strange that she goes straight from being an atheist to, not just a believer, but to a specific religion. I find it pathetic that she would do that just to please her boyfriend, but if that's what she wants, more power to her.

July 1, 2012 at 11:53 am |
    • richteel

Brandon,

I find it odd that people found it odd that she picked a specific religion. Yes, I am sure her boyfriend had a big influence on her decision to convert to Catholicism and I would have been surprised if she converted to another religion.

I am a christian, protestant, who questions critically questions things about Christianity and looks for proof. I am not an atheist but I have questioned God's existence and have come to the conclusion that there may or may not be a God and that it does not matter what the truth is. What matters is where we find our moral center and only religion can provide that. I have heard arguments from atheists stating that they were raised with good morals and have a good moral center. This may or may not be true but I would argue that it is easier to shift your center to appease your desires when the corner stone that your center is built upon was created by yourself for yourself rather than believing in an unmovable corner stone laid in place by someone/something greater than yourself.

I do have a problem with Christianity as it is not open to honest helpful debate on positions and ideas. There are several things that I have a hard time accepting and desire to debate however the church frowns upon open discussions on most things as written in the Bible. I also see the same problem in nearly all religions which is most unfortunate as I think these types of open discussions would only strengthen the church and religion overall.

I have seen a great deal of negative comments about Leah's move but I fully support her an wish her the best. I also encourage her to continue to question and challenge others as to why the church believes in one thing or another. I think if the church was more open to honest debate and different ideas that the church would be much better as a result.

July 1, 2012 at 1:02 pm |