home
RSS
June 22nd, 2012

Prominent atheist blogger converts to Catholicism

By Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) – She went from atheist to Catholic in just over 1,000 words.

CNN's Belief Blog: the faith angles behind the big stories

Libresco’s announcement has left some atheists scratching their heads.

But while atheists were puzzled by the conversion, others commended Libresco.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

Libresco is just switching the side she thinks the facts are on.

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism • Catholic Church

soundoff (7,475 Responses)
  1. joe3eagles

If she didn't do this to make her boyfriend happy, I'm sure it'll turn out to be a setup. A few days, weeks or months down the road, we'll see Leah blog either, "Sorry, folks, I fell for the lure of the warm fuzzies in a moment of emotional weakness", or, "Haha, just kidding, you silly people!"

July 2, 2012 at 11:35 am |
  2. JackPumpkin

I see no evidence for gods, myself, but I do believe that it's always okay to change your mind.

July 2, 2012 at 9:25 am |
  3. stevet321

Faith is a personal choice. Whether I agree or disagree with someone else's choice has no bearing on the "soul searching" results of that choice.

Personally, I am Chistian and a lover of science, math, art, biology, history, a good education and I take personal faith in God and the Bible serioursly. My choices are my own and I will have to answer for them, for good or for ill.

As for the blogger in the articles conversion I'll go with a 2000+ year old recorded concept..."...People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” 1 Samual 16:7

Welcome to the family.

July 2, 2012 at 9:19 am |
  4. locksmith

"Libresco is just switching the side she thinks the facts are on."

Really??? I think she just did this for a dude.
    Pretty weak of her actually.

July 2, 2012 at 7:53 am |
  5. Christopher

Prominent blogger? Really? *sigh* They act like christianity just scored some points by recruiting an intellectual great. I can't wait to see what it's going to be like when that S. E. Cupp chick converts to christianity and tries to convince everyone how she was so blind and dumb for being an atheist. Anyone else see that day coming? I can't be the only one. Especially after this nonsense that I just watched.

July 2, 2012 at 5:31 am |
    • JackPumpkin

Yeah, I don't see them running an article every time a quasi-regular churchgoer decides it's all a lie and stops showing up. It would be a drain on CNN's hard drive space to set aside 500 kB every time that happens.

July 2, 2012 at 9:27 am |
  6. No Way Yahweh

Who gives a shlt

July 2, 2012 at 4:24 am |
  7. cajun

there's christians and then there's catholics...so what's the difference!!!!!!!

July 2, 2012 at 4:22 am |
  8. Noa

If ones standard of morality is the catholic church, liturgical soundness etc., that still leaves you with a flawed morality. Where ever good and evil are judged through secondary sources, and not Gods law directly, a fraud occurs. But who do you know that would dare to call ones pastor on liturgical idolatry? This to me is a major moral dilemma as it should be to anyone who holds to Biblical morality, Biblical law etc.

July 2, 2012 at 4:17 am |
  9. Noa

Leah, I highly recommend that you study reform theology! Try Google R.J. Rushdoony, and his "Faith for All of Life" magazine! Gary DeMar, is a good source for reform material as well. Blessings to you!

July 2, 2012 at 3:30 am |
  10. Noa

“I have a hard time believing how someone could jump from I don’t believe in God to a very specific church and a very specific God.”

The problem with a statement like this is that even among those who claim to have a "belief in a very specific God" most are unable to articulate what that should mean to a culture, or nation that is wedded to the idea of statism, socialism etc. How do you argue against moral relativism if your alternative is not much different? What does it say when specific theistic alternative to such relativistic systems (i.e., the notion of creating a Christian culture) is thought of by leading evangelical pastors and authors as theologically impossible? Its nothing special to believe in one God, as apposed to many gods. The real challenge, reform theologians would say, is do you believe in a relevant and explicit God? This means belief in living triune God whoʻs unity puts all other unities down and smashes them to powder!! Atheists are unwittingly organizing their belief system to challenge the sovereignty of God, which oddly, equally parallels the moral relativity of the Christian churches on so many levels.

July 2, 2012 at 3:22 am |
  11. Follix

She is now a fairy tales believer for some very stupid reasons, how cool is that.

July 2, 2012 at 3:00 am |
  12. Shelby

Leah went from one wrong position to another. It is arrogant to claim that there is no God. It is even more arrogant to claim that there is a God and you know exactly how HE wants me to live my life. She should have stuck with being an agnostic. I have no clue if there is a God, but I look down upon anyone insisting that they know the answer.

July 1, 2012 at 11:55 pm |
  13. booboot0805

It's a well know fact, and one that more and more people around the world is realizing, that those who have joined and continue to join the catholic priesthood are gays.

July 1, 2012 at 11:28 pm |
  14. booboot0805

What about those catholics who revert to atheism! When is CNN or FOX going to write about that. Bigotry still controls society in America.

July 1, 2012 at 11:26 pm |
    • Nick B

You're kidding, right? The media is too conservative now? That would be the first time I've heard that one.

July 2, 2012 at 2:18 am |
  15. Bob

Hip interesting how you studied the Bible yet seem to not find this line

July 1, 2012 at 11:22 pm |
    • Wrenn_NYC

All absolute statements are inherently flawed.

And as far as ' he that hates me loves death' is a wonderful line to inspire fear and blind obedience. Not understanding and faith.

July 2, 2012 at 3:37 pm |
  16. Bob

As for morals that you actually maybe right we actually do think abortion is murder that teen pregnancy is wrong that the gov works for us not we for them that gay marriage is wrong and of course that Columbus being a Christian refuted the famous scientists of the day to actually know he wouldn't fall off the end of the earth. Real food for thought. There is so much more like that the US is founded on the Bible and supposed to be a Christian society.

July 1, 2012 at 10:07 pm |
    • jwt

The day the USA becomes a christian theocracy is a good day to puke.

July 1, 2012 at 10:13 pm |
    • Bob is a terrible name

The country wasn't founded on religious values. Also, what about Dinosaurs?

July 1, 2012 at 10:20 pm |
    • Bob

If I am the one that is backwards how is it that you guys have to not use real names dont know the origin of the US or what the latest science reveals? I doubt that many of you are real US citizens or maybe transplants, thinking hopefully at least from other countries. I thought US citizens would be better than this. This includes you terrible name.

July 1, 2012 at 10:34 pm |
    • Bob is a terrible name

Christians aren't interested in science. There are numerous scientific discoveries that point to the bible being irrelevant. Biologists have concluded that there is no need for a creator of the universe. Science has concluded that there is no need for intelligent design. History has shown that bible is nothing but regurgitated Egyptian folklore. Also I am born and raised here, but really would it matter if I wasn't?

P.S. Putting the name "Bob" at the top of your post doesn't make you courageous. Im sure there are more than a few Bobs out there. I have heard of a builder by that name.

July 1, 2012 at 10:41 pm |
    • Know What

Bob,

Scientists of Columbus's day did not think that the Earth was flat.

"Pythagoras in the sixth century B.C.E. was one of the originators of the idea. Aristotle in the fourth century B.C.E. provided the physical evidence, such as the shadow of the Earth on the moon and the curvature of the Earth known by all sailors approaching land. And by the third century B.C.E., Eratosthenes determined the Earth's shape and circ.umference using basic geometry. In the second century C.E., Claudius Ptolemy wrote the "Almagest," the mathematical and astronomical treatise on planetary shapes and motions, describing the spherical Earth. This text was well known throughout educated Europe in Columbus' time."

–http://www.livescience.com/16468-christopher-columbus-myths-flat-earth-discovered-americas.html

July 1, 2012 at 10:48 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

@Bob, Careful bob... you're showing your ignorance. As I pointed out in one of your previous posts, your arguments are weak. When people confront you with evidence you accuse them of not being US citizens or knowing science? Really? It's laughable and sad at the same time.

July 1, 2012 at 10:56 pm |
    • StrayHound

Awesome, another moron who believes that Columbus' voyage was on behalf of proving that the world was round. We had known that the world was a sphere since Eratoshenes discovered as much around 200BC.

July 1, 2012 at 11:03 pm |
    • Bob

Bob is my name, unlike you that hides as for science in their fallback position stick around its will get more interesting they said the Bible lied before, now they talk about need. As for folklore it would be really interesting for you to explain the Essenes or the founding of the Dead Sea Scrolls. With your vast scientific background and liberal acceptance of all you would have already known all this wouldn’t you?

July 1, 2012 at 11:10 pm |
    • Bob is a terrible name

Its so hard to argue with someone that doesn't use common sense . I'm sorry for wasting your time. At least in the end I have the comfort of knowing that your religion will die out just like all of the other ones as more and more people fail to believe in your God of gaps. I only hope that we don't allow you to continue to take rights away of from our people while you talk about how loving your god is.

July 1, 2012 at 11:20 pm |
    • Wrenn_NYC

First, you don't mean 'teen pregnancy' you mean unwed pregnancy. Which is more culturaly about having enough resources to raise children without burdening the society as a whole.

Next, it's back and forth. we work for the gov't, it works for us. It needs our input and a portion of our resources (money) to work at all. to give us the societal structure, safeties, services, we want.

Who cares about gay marriage... you don't like it, don't have one. It doesn't matter if Columbus was Christian or not, Though he most likely was, given that the majority of the people where he came from were.

Third, MOST scientists knew in Columbus' time that the world was round you are wrong in your assertion that they didn't know. What they didn't think was that the route west was safely navigable. Greek astronomers established that the earth was a sphere by the 3rd century BC, and Europe knew centuries before Columbus sailed. If you were an early Christian who believed the earth was flat (as informed by the Hebrew bible) you were considered as eccentric then as you would be considered now.

The US was not founded on the bible or on Christianity. Many writings of the founding fathers show this, and it's capped by the wording of the Treaty of Tripoli. Madison didn't even want the NON-Christians to think we were Christian!

Go back to school, Bob. Read a book. Learn something.

July 2, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
  17. hippypoet

if having god in your life means you believe you are happier or live now a more full life thats all grand.....all i see is a less then true appreciation for the living and one who'd rather worship the dead and senseless.

if not having god in your life means a meaningless life well again all i see is a less then true love of life and a yearning for death.
    both are pointless – just live, be happy....why does one need god in it? god doesn't come down and su ck your di ck....everything after conversion is the same only with a sense of meaning....basically, you lack an ability to adjust outside the age of reason so you require a "god" that replaces your parents as the rule maker and enforcer....wow, thats sad.

side note, if you require a non-existent being to tell you how to live and die then you may have any one of many mental ailments....might want to get that checked.

the hippypoet 🙂

July 1, 2012 at 10:04 pm |
    • Bob

WOW what a intelligent philosophical discussion no doubt from a person with a successful life that uses curses and disparaging remarks to get his point across. Makes perfect sense to listen to the dregs of society on how to live. Maybe you could explain how to do the things you seem to know so well so that we could all be repulsed by them and really truly understand the depths of your depravity in life. This is a model citizen for those without morals and without God case in point.

July 1, 2012 at 10:14 pm |
    • hippypoet

lol...depravity is one of my favorite words....anyway, i'm a political man and I practice what I preach...

July 1, 2012 at 10:18 pm |
    • Bob

I guess your behavior reflects/explains the lack of morals by those in gov today especially since you are mr political. Great arguments for abortions and those that are Godless.

July 1, 2012 at 10:28 pm |
    • hippypoet

let me put it to ya like this – while i strive to learn and seek evermore the truth of things....you folks claim knowledge of things concerning the begining and life without any...not even a stread....evidence at all, the worst part is you folks are adamant to the core about its truth. the belief may sway a person to act where they wouldn't have before, sure – but simple belief in anything doesn't make it real. at one point one has to accecpt that santa aint coming.

July 1, 2012 at 10:34 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

@Bob, by "curses" do you mean profanity or actual mystical curses? I feel it's worth asking since you seem to have other iron age superst.itions.

July 1, 2012 at 10:40 pm |
    • Bob

If you consider yourself such a great philosopher, protector of public truth and have knowledge about all things then how is it the very topic you criticize you have absolutely no knowledge of??? Like most that do this!!! You like most get your information 2nd hand and base your life on it. Criticize the Bible without reading it or thinking that most Christians would base their life on something that they get absolutely nothing out of. That they are just lame stupid people that give to the poor to churches and live a life listening to a God that they don’t hear. Better yet they all have seem to try to act the same. Maybe mass hysteria fits. I don’t need a false god in my life and my God has proven to me all that I asked of Him and more, so He deserves my loyalty. This is real, when you grow up little man and understand what makes the world tic get your teeth handed to you a few times then maybe you might want to pick up the Bible and understand for yourself.

July 1, 2012 at 10:52 pm |
    • hippypoet

oh bob, i was raised catholic...i read the bible many times and not just one but many different translations of it along with many other religious books not on abrahams murdering inducing god.

i speak with knowledge of the ins and outs of that life....i am very open to many things...

you do realize its a death cult right? look at it any way you like, doesn't matter...if you claim to be a christian in any form then you are in a death cult. deal with it my friend. you fantasize about eating his flesh and drinking his blood – how fu cked is that?

July 1, 2012 at 11:02 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

@Bob, Yeah... 18 years in a baptist church, 13 years in a baptist school for me. Most atheists were former religos... We just did the intellectual work, and found the courage to think ourselves to freedom and peace. No atheist believes you don't get something out of religion. We understand well the addictive nature of religion and how that feeling of security and the belief in a perfect universe governed by a super hero who's going to reward us at the end of our hard journey is quite satisfactory to the emotions and ego. Some of us even experienced that well being... it just wasn't enough for us. We were far more interested in the Truth.

July 1, 2012 at 11:10 pm |
    • Bob

Pro 8:36 "But he who sins against me injures himself; All those who hate me love death." I met a a kid one day and I really didn’t want to talk to him. Was sitting at lunch eating and was not in a good mood. He came along and kept telling me personal stuff he was upset with. I didn’t want to talk finally I just said I don’t have any answers talk to Jesus. I thought for sure that was the end of the conversation. Well after a few seconds of back to usual. He started again this time I said one line and let it go at that. Well he continued, sensing God wanted to tell him something I listened and Spoke what I heard God saying. This went on for 10 to 15 minutes all the time giving scripture after scripture, while I was trying to get away from him. I didn’t know him at all so I didn’t know at this time he was a preacher’s kid. So finally I wanted to go to my dorm and before I left I prayed for him. He almost broke down crying right in the middle of the compound before he ran to his dorm. Well the next morning I found him waiting for me, I was expecting the worse. But he finally told me he met the Holy Spirit that night and that he finally understood and the joy and excitement that he felt was indescribable. He had also asked and prayed but not gotten a answer till one day a meeting and God answered all his questions. i never saw him again and I had never seen him or met him before. It is not always in our time it is not always convenient but God made us a promise seek and you will find knock and I will answer. If all you want is the Bible then that’s all you’ll get but if you want to know the author then seek with all your heart as I did. I have never been the same. He has provided miraculous for me and has been there at every turn. I have so many testimonies about how God provided and people’s lives that were changed. Religion will kill you no doubt but God is about a relationship. That is why sin is bad it separates us from God, He walked with Enoch and Adam and Eve that’s what He wants from us. To be a Father and friend so sin for sin is a problem but if it separates us from God then that is the real problem with sin. I am sorry that you have had this experience but I know a completely different experience with the Lord. I am not so special, what I have anyone could have.

July 1, 2012 at 11:47 pm |
    • poopfinger

13 years perfect attendance. Nothing turns people away from the bible faster than studying it.

July 1, 2012 at 11:47 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

@Bob, thanks for the anecdote that in no way addresses the comments here. However, I'm curious... was this a dorm at Bob Jones University, Liberty University or Pensacola Christian College?

I'm glad you helped some bi-polar kid transition to his manic state again. I'm sure his parents would have preferred he got professional help though.

July 2, 2012 at 12:13 am |
    • Bob

Joh 14:26 "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.
      Eph 1:13 In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation–having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise,
      Eph 1:14 who is given as a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of God's own possession, to the praise of His glory.
      Reading the bible can be very dry to study it worse but if you read it with the Holy Spirit it is fun and relative and builds you up. I have given you a few scriptures to think and consider in your heart. Peace.

July 2, 2012 at 12:13 am |
  18. Jack

Good evening everyone. All are welcome to visit – thestarofkaduri.com

July 1, 2012 at 9:42 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

Spam... Report abuse.

July 1, 2012 at 9:46 pm |
  19. Bob

Einstein is probably the best known and most highly revered scientist of the twentieth century, and is associated with major revolutions in our thinking about time, gravity, and the conversion of matter to energy (E=mc2). Although never coming to belief in a personal God, he recognized the impossibility of a non-created universe. The Encyclopedia Britannica says of him: "Firmly denying atheism, Einstein expressed a belief in "Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of what exists." This actually motivated his interest in science, as he once remarked to a young physicist: "I want to know how God created this world, I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts, the rest are details." Einstein's famous epithet on the "uncertainty principle" was "God does not play dice" – and to him this was a real statement about a God in whom he believed. A famous saying of his was "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

July 1, 2012 at 9:05 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

Really... try reading something that doesn't come from your religious teachers. Spinoza was the inspiration for agnosticism and atheism in the first place.

Also, I know religious people love to live in the past, they still practice iron and bronze age morals... However, great physicists have come along in the last almost 100 years since Einstein published his works and have explained how the universe CAN come from nothing using Einstein's own theories. All generations build on previous generations. Just because someone did something great, this doesn't mean that they are always right about everything. In fact, one of the great breakthroughs in particle physics happened in the last decade when someone corrected one of Einstein's formulaic mistakes.

Lastly, if you want to start using men of intelligence to support your belief in god, then you must also entertain the countless of intelligent people that made the world what it is today that were atheist and agnostic. People like Thomas Jefferson and Thomas Edison were not subject to these ancient supersti.tions and ours lives have greatly benefited from their contributions. Still, we needn't deify great men. That was the trap of religion in the first place.

July 1, 2012 at 9:14 pm |
    • The Analyst

Einstein was an athiest you phukking idiot.

July 1, 2012 at 9:45 pm |
    • Bob

You’re wrong about Jefferson as well as the science that has come along. Jefferson really didn’t consider himself a Christian, but did more to promote the cause of Christianity that allot of those that were. In fact he made his own Bible out of Jesus words that he clipped out of the regular Bible. There is so much more about Jefferson a seemingly tortured man with his own Christianity. The other thing is Edison was not a Christian but he also was also not such a nice guy, If you want to read the something interesting read the war between Tesla and Edison. Edison actually invented dc and tried to push that on everyone while Tesla invented ac which we have now. But Edison soon had too much money invested into his DC system, and he tried his best to discredit Tesla by showing that AC was more dangerous than DC. Edison paid local children 25 cents for each stray dog they could bring him. Then he would hold press conferences and electrocute the dogs at public gatherings to frighten people. He claimed that DC could not kill, but in fact, it could.

July 1, 2012 at 9:59 pm |
    • Bob is a terrible name

I read Lee Strobels books. Ready. Set. Terrible.

July 1, 2012 at 10:19 pm |
    • Bob

The base of my life while made better by science is built on God and the Bible it has been there for thousands of years hasn't been proven wrong and doesn't shift with mans discoveries or at each whim of man. Who is the fool that would say something is true and you should base your life on it till we find something better or more true? Well what happened to the last truth? If your parent always lied to you then you wouldn't believe them why would you want to do that with science?

July 1, 2012 at 10:23 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

Bob, you really seem to be going out of your way to qualify your statements. It just comes across as sounding like a weak argument. When referencing things like Jeffereson struggling with his religion, you claim he had his own bible of jesus' clippings, but you seem to sidestep why he cut up the bible in the first place. He was eliminating the so-called miracles and other biblical nonsense supersti.tion. You mention Edison as if religion would have made him a nice guy. Is this where I should remind you of the atrocities done by religious men? Let me guess... they were struggling with their christianity too?

How about the other great minds that are atheists.... all mean people? Here's a list of just Science and Technology atheists that include Stephen Hawkings, Peter Higgs, Richard Feynman, Gordon Gould, Sigmund Freud, Carl Saga, Erwin Schrödinger and Robert Oppenheimer. You can see how many of these one Nobel (and yes, Alfred Nobel) prizes for their work. There's hundreds here and that doesn't even get into philosophers, authors, musicians, artists and activists.

Well that's what atheism brings to the table. Where is your list of religious people that have contributed to the betterment of our lives over the last 200 years?

Beside all that... you seem to have glazed over the parts where people have used Einsteins equations to show how the Universe CAN and WILL come from nothing every time, or the part where Spinoza is the inspiration behind atheism in the first place. But maybe it's more convenient to talk about electrocuting dogs... maybe we can call it "shock" value.

July 1, 2012 at 10:36 pm |
    • HotAirAce

While I don't know that my parents lied to me, they certainly forced religion upon me, and everything I see tells me all religion is bullsh!t, but I still trusted them because I knew that they were just behaving as they were indoctrinated to do.

Re: science being wrong about things there's no question scientists did not get everything right the first go, and there have been some outright frauds, just like with religion, but it's more a case of continuous improvement as we learn more than being wrong per se. Compare that to religion which is stuck with 2,000 year old myths. The Babblical value for PI is still wrong!

July 2, 2012 at 1:22 am |
  20. Bob

Lee strobel great conversion and testimony

July 1, 2012 at 8:42 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

You've already posted this, and you and his arguments have been resoundingly refuted. Posting it again the next day isn't going to make it more true than it was yesterday.

July 1, 2012 at 9:05 pm |
    • Bob

No one has refuted anything the only thing resoundingly refuted was that you are saying the truth

July 1, 2012 at 10:02 pm |