home
RSS
June 22nd, 2012

Prominent atheist blogger converts to Catholicism

By Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) – She went from atheist to Catholic in just over 1,000 words.

CNN's Belief Blog: the faith angles behind the big stories

Libresco’s announcement has left some atheists scratching their heads.

But while atheists were puzzled by the conversion, others commended Libresco.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

Libresco is just switching the side she thinks the facts are on.

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism • Catholic Church

soundoff (7,475 Responses)
  1. Basketball

You actually make it seem really easy together with your presentation however I to find this topic to be really something that I think I would never understand. It kind of feels too complex and extremely extensive for me. I'm looking ahead to your subsequent submit, I will try to get the hang of it!

July 4, 2012 at 11:09 pm |
  2. webhosting

You could certainly see your enthusiasm within the work you write. The arena hopes for more passionate writers like you who aren't afraid to mention how they believe. At all times follow your heart.

July 4, 2012 at 11:01 pm |
  3. sun worshipper

The logic of whorshipping our SUN is beyond arguement, calling it a GOD is illogical but nessesary to gain a following as to move the civilization past the moronic idea of god as its currently understood.
    Oh my God can power a car so you have no need for earth based fuel. My God gives its power freely and to all creatures, we are stupid to not use it!
    using the law of conservation of matter and energy, the energy given off by the sun simply transferrs to us thru food and warmth, but the whorshipping goes beyond that. if the planet when it is at its perihelion were even just a few hundred feet closer to mars we would be very cold all the time, if the planet when it is at its aphelion was closer to the sun by equal distance, very very hot. so everything points to the sun as the true life giving object to whorship if you were to whorship anything- logically speaking!

July 4, 2012 at 9:44 pm |
  4. Bob

Atheism is a religion

July 4, 2012 at 9:33 pm |
    • jwt

That's so wrong its funny bobby.

July 4, 2012 at 9:35 pm |
    • hippypoet

atheist is the lack of belief in something not the belief in the non existence of something....a belief is a religion, a lack of belief is nothing – it is believers that required first a t-tle for us referring to our lack of beliefs and its now that you claim ours is a belief of non existence....do the research on the first terms and the first referred to as atheists... it will change your tone and if it doesn't then its you that is the real problem not what you read – granted if the bible is the only thing you read that is still a problem! 🙂

July 4, 2012 at 9:50 pm |
    • tallulah13

Oh Bob, you don't have to lie to make the fundies like you. Although it seems to help.

July 5, 2012 at 2:11 am |
    • Arvoasitis

It's kind of like the question, is zero a number?

July 5, 2012 at 7:56 am |
  5. Best guy

Hi there, You have performed a fantastic job. I'll definitely digg it and individually recommend to my friends. I am sure they will be benefited from this website.

July 4, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
  6. Medicine

I will immediately grab your rss as I can't to find your e-mail subscription hyperlink or newsletter service. Do you've any? Please allow me recognize in order that I may subscribe. Thanks.

July 4, 2012 at 7:48 pm |
  7. Agnostic_adult

@Kae
    Take your hateful rhetoric, shove it where the sun doesn't shine, and leave the discussion. An atheist doesn't believe in any god - good, bad, or indifferent. Prove satan exists, then prove that he is evil. Do this without your 2000 year old book of ancient laws and stories.

July 4, 2012 at 7:33 pm |
  8. joseph

Could it be that God is as close to us as the air we breathe. You cannot see or smell the wind, but its existence is unmistakable by the evidence of its effect on everything around us. If you speak out loud to the wind expecting an answer, you will talk until you're blue in the face with no response. But if instead you quiet your spirit intent on hearing and feeling the wind, no doubt you will hear and experience phenomenon that will change your perspective of the wind.

July 4, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

@Joseph

We can test and measure the wind, and because of repeatable, verifiable experiments we know much about it. Unless we're dealing with mere philosophy, that does not claim to be provable and verifiable, we must use evidence that can be measured and tested.

So, what about god can we measure and verify to know that he exists and is as you say he is?

July 4, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
    • tallulah13

Or maybe Joseph, you are simply listening to your own thoughts and calling them "god."

July 4, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
    • billdeacons

Moby, We cannot measure God. That is why your demand for proof is really nothing more than a kind of boring parlor game. The premise of your demand is flawed. What we can observe is the effect faith has had on billions of people over time. Some tend to discount that effect. I for one find it positive in the balance.

July 4, 2012 at 10:22 pm |
    • OOO

@billdeacons...
      what you claim without proof can be dismissed without proof.

July 5, 2012 at 12:09 am |
    • tallulah13

Hey Bill:
      Proof is how rational people discern what is real and what is not. There has never been a single shred of evidence to support the existence of any god. The behavior of the believers in these gods is simply an emotional response to that belief. It is not proof. Consequently, there is no reason for a rational person to believe in the existence of any god.

July 5, 2012 at 2:19 am |
    • Bill Deacon

Just to clarify, I'm in no way trying to prove anything to any one. I am merely saying that the objective proof that atheists ask for is contextually inappropriate for the topic under question. If non believers were actually as intellectually honest and progressive as they like to claim, they would realize that their construct is inadequate for discovery. If you are able to realize the disconnect in your premise but pursue it anyway, well then you are just a malcontent and liar.

In simpler terms, you want a God you can measure but God cannot be measured. He can only be experienced. Trying to get a believer to convince you of his experience is a logical impossibility. It's like trying to get me to convince you how watermelon taste before you will try it.

July 5, 2012 at 9:20 am |
  9. location voiture casablanca

I do not even know the way I stopped up here, however I believed this put up was good. I do not recognize who you are however certainly you're going to a well-known blogger in the event you are not already. Cheers!

July 4, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
  10. uae jobs

Magnificent submit, very informative. I wonder why the other specialists of this sector don't realize this. You must proceed your writing. I'm confident, you've a huge readers' base already!|What's Taking place i'm new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It positively useful and it has helped me out loads. I'm hoping to give a contribution & help different customers like its aided me. Good job.

July 4, 2012 at 2:21 pm |
  11. JimLas

Talk about jumping out of the frying pan into the fire. Now that she is part of the church of Rome, I suggest she start to read her bible and hear what God has to say and not man. Romans 3:4 and 2 Timothy 3:16. A servant of Christ for life.

July 4, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

LOL, the ole' "my cult is right and your cult is wrong" jab. That's what every believer says about every belief that isn't his own.

July 4, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
  12. blog photographe

N'hesitez pas à visiter mon blog photo, merci!

July 4, 2012 at 11:09 am |
  13. الصحه والطفل

Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all folks you actually recognise what you are talking about! Bookmarked. Kindly also visit my site =). We can have a hyperlink exchange arrangement among us

July 4, 2012 at 8:41 am |
  14. Shaggie

Wow, God's plan it was. u know, if u want 2 make God laugh, tell him yo plans.

July 4, 2012 at 7:33 am |
  15. Independent

Why is morality external? Why can it not come from self? I know many moral atheists. Perhaps only the morally needy require external reasons for seeming self sacrifice and good deeds.

July 4, 2012 at 2:28 am |
  16. You Religion Just Might Be Bull

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z4iaUFSkME&w=640&h=390]

July 4, 2012 at 1:35 am |
  17. teser

should have went being a christian? lol

July 4, 2012 at 12:17 am |
  18. Commercial Roofer Atlanta

I take pleasure in, result in I found just what I was looking for. You've ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

July 4, 2012 at 12:13 am |
  19. Helpful Hints

LinCA

🙂

( I was typing as your post came in)

July 3, 2012 at 10:56 pm |
    • LinCA

Yup. Shit like that sometimes happens.

July 3, 2012 at 10:58 pm |
  20. Harvard83

Wonderful! God made her and this is what He wanted her to be.
    -A Catholic for life! – Los Angeles, CA