home
RSS
Ratio of evangelicals in Brazil jumps 44% in 10 years
A shot of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
June 29th, 2012

Ratio of evangelicals in Brazil jumps 44% in 10 years

By Shasta Darlington, CNN

Sao Paulo (CNN) – The number of evangelical Christians s in Brazil, the world’s largest Catholic country, has soared over the last decade, from 15% of the population in 2000 to to 22% of the population in 2010, according to a report issued on Friday.

Over the same period, the proportion of Catholic Brazilians fell from 74% of the population to to 65%, Brazil’s National Statistics Institute reported.

In overall terms, the percentage of evangelicals rose 44%, as evangelical churches won over the faithful, especially women and people in poorer communities.

The rise of evangelical Christianity is a growing trend across Latin America.

Forty years ago, 93.% of Brazilians considered themselves Catholic, compared with just 4% who identified as evangelical. In the same period, those who say they aren’t religious has grown to 8%, up from less than 1%.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Brazil • Christianity

1. this very twisted little twilight zone

Screw about with this very twisted little twilight zone & this very twisted little twilight zone screws back.
    Are you being screwed back by this very twisted little twilight zone?
    Have you had all the compassion you're ever going to get?
    Is this very twisted little twilight zone backfiring on you?

June 30, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
    • Mafia Don

Yes, this very twisted little twilight zone is backfiring on me already!

June 30, 2012 at 7:21 pm |
    • The Corrector

What a confession Mafia Don!

June 30, 2012 at 7:22 pm |
    • this very twisted little twilight zone clown

New name, same game.

Troll troll troll.

I'm 18, and I have no friends. This is what I do with my summer break.

I'm very proud of myself.

June 30, 2012 at 7:35 pm |
    • this very twisted little twilight zone

Gosh we found a clown!
      It keeps going TROLL TROLL TROLL!
      Can you do any other clown tricks in this very twisted little twilight zone?
      It's your own sorrow that does pride.
      Do you use a vanity mirror as well?
      Is this one of your troll troll troll clown tricks as well you sad 18 year old clown?
      Us Elders know how to handle no-marks like you clowns.

June 30, 2012 at 7:46 pm |
  2. Perpetua

Evangelicals almost never go into Muslim countries or atheist countries they always go into well established Christian countries.

June 30, 2012 at 7:14 pm |
    • Dave

I don't have a problem with Muslims & they don't have a problem with me.
      As an Evangelical, I always established a good rapport & Muslims love me for it.
      I worked in Dubai a few times & we always got on well together.
      I always stayed squeaky clean with the Muslims & I must say, they always stayed squeaky clean with me.
      I'd stay squeaky clean visiting any Muslim country in future too.
      This may well earn me an invite to every Muslim country, but I'd need the funding & the time.

June 30, 2012 at 7:30 pm |
    • Mafia Don

So that's how you do it Dave!
      You always establish & good rapport & stay squeaky clean!
      You rule this planet already Dave & I thought my boys were going to do it!
      Keep ruling the planet Dave!

June 30, 2012 at 7:35 pm |
  3. Mafia Don

I always ask my boys for the bad news & they always give me the bad news.
    The bad news is your quacks, cops & others have already been squealing under sodium pentathol.
    We are facing a complete crisis of confidentiality because of these squealers.
    Know any potential squealers in your area?
    I trust you know what to do with potential squealers.
    Remember this bad news so you know what to do with potential squealers.

June 30, 2012 at 7:06 pm |
    • The Corrector

Potential squealers are unmarked territory.
      Obviously potential squealers are about to get a lot of grief for the potential betrayal of confidentiality.
      Honestly, we can't help potential squealers at the moment.

June 30, 2012 at 7:12 pm |
  4. Sam Yaza

are their no Aztecs left in Brazil,... wait a moment was in an Aztec community in Rio,.. and there are so many people in the bush praying to their Gods,... they need to double check these states they left out the Pagan........ again...

Ps destroy Christos it is a symbol of tyranny and conquest of the indigenous people

June 30, 2012 at 6:45 pm |
    • b4bigbang

Yeah, they can bring back human sacrifice and Sam Yaza can be the first to meet their gods......

June 30, 2012 at 6:52 pm |
    • tallulah13

Hey bang - you forget the entire premise of christianity is human sacrifice. Christians proudly wear their crosses, an emblem of torture and murder. Jesus was the human sacrifice employed so that you don't have to be responsible for your own actions. Perhaps you should consider the barbarity of your own religion before you mock the beliefs of others.

June 30, 2012 at 7:21 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Tallulah, you have to know that I shake my head in disbelief that you are this foolish. Jesus died for our sins. Sin is death. Death is satan that you love and follow. There will be no sin in Heaven. You better unload your sinful nature before you breath your last breath ... or, you won't be living with Jesus for eternity. Your satan is a liar and he can't save himself, never mind, any of you.

June 30, 2012 at 8:04 pm |
    • JWT

I have never read anything about tal being sinful what on earth are you talking about hs?

June 30, 2012 at 9:10 pm |
    • Sam Yaza

being with the butcher of my people for all eternity ,.. worshiping and listening to horrible music forever,, heaven is like church 24 hours 7 days a week of church

you and i have complete different ideas of hell
      Christians are the intolerant barbarians here not us
      the powers in the blood and human blood is the closest to the divine so to shed your blood for the futility of the world and your people prosperity is truly a divine sacrifice

July 1, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
  5. DETOX KIT

DETOX CURES ALL TOXIC SIDE-EFFECTS!
    Any toxic stuff comin' your way?
    DETOX CURES ALL TOXIC SIDE-EFFECTS!
    For law-abiding citizens only!

June 30, 2012 at 5:11 pm |
    • Mafia Don

Detox gives us perps massive headaches & knocks us sick!
      Don't go near detox if you're a perp!

June 30, 2012 at 5:16 pm |
  6. Moby Schtick

Questions for god believers:

1. Why do you find it so important to label atheism as a religion?
    2. Why do you think that the skeptic has to disprove what you, the claimant, have not yet proven?
    3. Why are you so afraid to follow the rules of logical reasoning?
    4. Why do you so clearly understand the rules of logic and a ssertion when making large purchases ("closing" a real estate deal in a lawyers office with all sorts of professional people adding their signature to the legal agreement), but you don't follow those exact same rules when examining your faith verses all others?
    5. What LOGICAL validation is there for your faith that there isn't for all the faiths you disbelieve?

June 30, 2012 at 5:03 pm |
    • Dave

They can't accept their own junk disbelief.
      They can't accept their own toxic imagination.
      They cherish nothing, because they've got nothing but poison.
      They are but the church of the poison mind.
      Expect only poison thoughts, poison words & poison deeds.
      We should all be experts against their poison promos by now.
      Live long & prosper Moby.

June 30, 2012 at 5:38 pm |
    • Nope

Why are atheists afraid to prove they are right?

That's right they have no proof.

June 30, 2012 at 6:02 pm |
    • Answer

The religious idiots all have a heavy reliance of using emotions. Why are you religious idiots so afraid of?

June 30, 2012 at 6:15 pm |
    • Nope

Lol atheists are so funny when they can't admit the truth.

June 30, 2012 at 6:37 pm |
    • EvolvedDNA

nope...there is no evidence for god you are correct...if you accept the bible as truth then evolution is one strike against you.

June 30, 2012 at 7:38 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Answer, why do you atheists buy into your own propaganda? Christians are not cowards. Fear belongs in your camp.

June 30, 2012 at 8:09 pm |
  7. Jack

Hello. Everyone is cordially invited to visit ... thestarofkaduri.com

June 30, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
  8. Guest0273

Prove "No God argument".Why doesn't any atheist prove that claim since many make that claim already? Their standards don't apply to them but to the "Theist" right? If they make a claim of "No God" without backing it up..yes atheism does in fact require faith.Actually its blind faith.

June 30, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
    • llɐq ʎʞɔnq

That is totally ridiculous. Then we also have to prove there is no 1957 Chevy orbiting Pluto. Idiot.

June 30, 2012 at 4:44 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Because the atheists claim is a counter claim to unproven a s sertion. The theist make the claim: God exists! The skeptic asks for proof. The theist provides no proof (no measurable, testable method to determine definitely that god exists) and so the original, positive claim (god exist) remains an empty a s sertion.

Think of it the way you would think of someone saying that Unicorns exist. You, the skeptic, would say, "Where's the proof?" You would be correct to say, "Unicorns do not exist," because the unicornists has not provided measurable, testable proof. It is up to the person claiming that unicorns exist to provide the proof for his claim.

The burden of proof is upon the person claiming a positive, not the person claiming the negative. I have a fire-breathing dragon in my back yard. Who has the burden of proof? Me, who claims to have the dragon, or you, who say that I don't have one?

June 30, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
    • Guest0273

The burden of proof lies on the atheist that makes the claim of "No God" because its without evidence.

Stop making up excuses.

June 30, 2012 at 4:54 pm |
    • llɐq ʎʞɔnq

The *claim* there is a god, is the claim, (and just as "absence" of a claim is also not an "argument"). The absence of a claim is nothing more than absence. You need to take a Logic course.

June 30, 2012 at 4:54 pm |
    • llɐq ʎʞɔnq

Logic 101 : No one can prove a negative.

June 30, 2012 at 4:55 pm |
    • llɐq ʎʞɔnq

What will you accept as proof ?

June 30, 2012 at 4:56 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

@Guest0273

So, if I claim to have a pet unicorn and you say that I don't have a pet unicorn, you have to prove that I don't have a pet unicorn?!?!

June 30, 2012 at 4:58 pm |
    • Guest0273

logic one on one

"I can't prove a negative" is an excuse.

June 30, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

So then, you're going to send me a check for a half a billion dollars? Cool.

Can't prove the negative of that, can you?

June 30, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

And by the way, you meant to say, "Logic one-oh-one" or 'Logic 101" as in the very first elementary course in academics on a subject. Moron.

June 30, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
    • Nope

Nope.

June 30, 2012 at 5:54 pm |
    • Answer

To prove a negative.. is of course a fallacy.

Try and find a job with that statement as your sole basis for life you religious losers.
      Identify with that "negative fallacy" , include it as part of your resume, and you will see that you aren't worth hiring.

June 30, 2012 at 6:13 pm |
    • Nope

"Losers".

Shows the immaturity and proves how unlogical many atheists are.

Nice job.

June 30, 2012 at 6:19 pm |
    • Answer

Hey it's the truth. Accept it.

You can't accept the truth that you're a loser. It's okay.

June 30, 2012 at 6:23 pm |
    • Nope

Being immature is not logical.

June 30, 2012 at 6:34 pm |
    • Answer

Says the loser?

That is funny. Here try this one for yourself and test your loser-ness.

Say unto yourself (wait – please type this out – herein the posts): "I will definitely go to heaven." Let's hear you guarantee yourself that spot into your delusions. XD

June 30, 2012 at 6:39 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Guest, just look at llɐq ʎʞɔnq handle. Says it all for the atheists being backward in their beliefs, non-thinking and do nothings.

June 30, 2012 at 8:32 pm |
    • Sue

Prove that God was the creator god and not one of the other gods. Prove that Thor isn't real. Christians are almost as big atheists as we are, except they exclude their favorite god just because he is their favorite, no other reason.

June 30, 2012 at 8:45 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Sue, look at it this way. Jesus is truth about life and the hereafter. Your min-god that you love and follows wants to destroy everything God created, sit on his throne and have all you fools believe in him. Then you all go into the lake of fire and have your own personal worm eating off your gray matter.

June 30, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
    • JWT

Yet agains HS you are showing that your god is unworthy.

June 30, 2012 at 9:11 pm |
  9. UK Dave

Did you just bump into MY BOMBPROOF PROMISES by any chance?

June 30, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
    • The Corrector

From your Department of Corrections, it's;
      ALL HAIL BOMBPROOF PROMISES!

June 30, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
    • UK Dave Clown (a teeneager in America) and all my other names

Here is my theme song. It is my song. Mine. I sing it to myself because I am so amazing to me. To the tune of "Rawhide"

Trollin' trollin' trollin'
      Keep that keyboard trollin'
      The thoughts out of my colon
      Trollin!

Don't try to understand me
      Just reach around and hand me
      Soon I'll be working at Walmart

Trollin's all I do
      I have no life, it's true
      I do this for days and weeks on end

Troll 'em up, troll 'em down
      Troll 'em in, troll 'em out
      Masturbate
      Alienate
      Trollin'!

Sit all day
      Never play
      Puke out hate
      Ain't got a date
      Troll 'em in
      Trollin'!

It's a beautiful day outside
      So in here I'll hide
      Playing my little trolling game

I wish I had a girlfriend,
      Heck, just any kind of friend,
      So that my life was not empty

Troll 'em up, troll 'em down
      Troll 'em in, troll 'em out
      Masturbate
      Alienate
      Trollin'!

Sit all day
      Never play
      Puke out hate
      Ain't got a date
      Troll 'em in
      Trollin'!

June 30, 2012 at 3:59 pm |
    • Nope

Masterbate?

You must be a teenage troll.

June 30, 2012 at 7:38 pm |
  10. The Corrector

Did your many broken promises come up against MY BOMBPROOF PROMISES?

June 30, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
    • nottolate

@llɐq ʎʞɔnq,

"trading one addiction for another"

How so?

June 30, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
    • I Don't Get It

What is a notto? And how is it late?

June 30, 2012 at 5:19 pm |
  11. Hypatia

How very sad for Brazil.

June 30, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

that's the first thought i had too. sad.

June 30, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
    • llɐq ʎʞɔnq

trading one addiction for another .. very common

June 30, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
  12. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things .

June 30, 2012 at 2:35 pm |
    • kerfluffle

no, it does not.

proof?

June 30, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
    • just sayin

You are here. God bless

June 30, 2012 at 3:05 pm |
    • Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things
      Proven.

June 30, 2012 at 3:05 pm |
    • kerfluffle

so, what is the proof?

And, my presence is not proof of anything of an erstwhile spiritual nature. It saddens me that the mysteries of cosmology and ecology are cheapened by the gullible and by charlatans that prey upon the witless.

June 30, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

actions change things; prayer wastes valuable time.

June 30, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
    • Cq

Bootyfunk
      Yes. It's the difference between hoping something good happens, and making something good happen.

June 30, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
    • just sayin

You know nothing of what is good until you talk with God. God bless

June 30, 2012 at 4:01 pm |
    • just sayin

And yes you are here by divine appointment established and founded in prayer. God bless

June 30, 2012 at 4:02 pm |
    • just sayin

I have severe problems with uncontrollable explosive diarrhea. If I go out in public, sooner or later . . . BLAM! So I stay inside and bother others. It's sad, because I used to stand on the corner with a sign that said "REPENT OR FEEL GOD'S LOVE IN THE LAKE OF FIRE!!", yelling stuff about God that is kind of like speaking in tongues because I don't understand it either.

I'm pretty sure I will be acquitted in my commitment hearings, though in all the sanity hearings I have stood before, I haven't had that happen yet. But at least the jello is really good at Bellevue.

June 30, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
    • Cq

just sayin
      That's about as convincing as the makers of Folgers saying that you don't know good coffee until you try a cup of theirs, you know?

Gotta go for now. Fishing is my religion, and the trout are biting. :-)

June 30, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
    • just sayin

As always when confronted with the superior argument the atheist wanna be either goes fishing (God created fish and fish was the first Christian symbol) or steals a name and goes evil vulgar. I wonder which they will do? God bless

June 30, 2012 at 4:42 pm |
    • llɐq ʎʞɔnq

God has her plan. Please stop changing it with prayers.

June 30, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
    • great intellect my ass

if an ass hole was needed for an opinion we would like to choose our own bucky. It is not that you 're not a complete ass hole but you just don't have the intelligence we require in one . Sorry try harder, perhaps you could find a college course that would improve your skills as an ass hole but you would have to commit to several years of training.

June 30, 2012 at 5:00 pm |
    • embrace the truths

atheism is useless
      God is available

June 30, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
  13. Yongmin Shin

“King of terror shall come from the sky. He will bring to life the King of Mongols.” Nostradamus' predictions are quite interesting. It may not be however about WWIII, perhaps it is about the end of the Spiritual world.
    A great opportunity has come to us today. An open Bible seminar is coming to NYC and L.A. after a world tour consisting of South Korea, Germany and Belgium. Pastor Lee is testifying about the events of Revelation and the whole world is ready to hear. Please contact me if you are at all interested in this event. It will take place shortly, on the 14th of July in the NY Times building in Manhattan.
    Beautifulscj@gmail.com
    917-9958834

June 30, 2012 at 1:31 pm |
    • Brampt

Shin- he shall bring the king of Mongols?? I can see that your pastor doesn't understand nothing about the bible. Just like any other "pastor" hes trying to exploit people, suk there money. Read Daniel chapter 2, u will find, who is the last king profecysed by the bible before God take hand on earth. But before that, God promises to use, today's world governanent powers to stomp on false religion, the ones that lie about God, and that have blood in there hands. Then God will bring peace and justice to earth, himself. He doesn't need no Mongol king. Read Rev chapter 17-20. But meanwhile God invite is opened, Rev 18:4 "Get out of her ( false religion), my people, if YOU do not want to share with her in her sins, and if YOU do not want to receive part of her plagues.

June 30, 2012 at 2:53 pm |
    • kerfluffle

ooooo...catfight!

June 30, 2012 at 3:03 pm |
  14. UK Dave

I need extra time to get my affairs in order!
    How much extra time do you need to get your affairs in order?
    Once our affairs are in order, then we'll approach the Muslims with our very own version of Sharia Law!
    THE JUDGE CAN ONLY EVER BE FRIENDLY – IF OUR AFFAIRS ARE IN ORDER!
    SO WE PROMISE TO GET OUR AFFAIRS IN ORDER!

June 30, 2012 at 1:12 pm |
    • Mafia Don

You're a shining example UK Dave!
      Spoken like an officer & a gentleman!
      I've met quite a few of them in my time!
      Keep going forward UK Dave!

June 30, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
  15. Reality

Dear Evangelicals and other Christians of Brazil, (Part II)

AND THE INFAMOUS ANGELIC CONS CONTINUE TO WREAK STUPIDITY UPON THE WORLD

Joe Smith had his Moroni. (As does M. Romney)

"Latter-day Saints like M. Romney also believe that Michael the Archangel was Adam (the first man) when he was mortal, and Gabriel lived on the earth as Noah."

Jehovah Witnesses have their Jesus /Michael the archangel, the first angelic being created by God;

Mohammed had his Gabriel (this "tin-kerbell" got around).

Jesus and his family had/has Michael, Gabriel, and Satan, the latter being a modern day demon of the demented. (As does BO and his family)

The Abraham-Moses myths had their Angel of Death and other "no-namers" to do their dirty work or other assorted duties.

Contemporary biblical and religious scholars have relegated these "pretty wingie/horn-blowing thingies" to the myth pile. We should do the same to include deleting all references to them in our religious operating manuals. Doing this will eliminate the prophet/profit/prophecy status of these founders and put them where they belong as simple humans just like the rest of us.

June 30, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
    • UK Dave

Can you see the similarity between drones & the angels of death?
      Can you see the similarity between military aircraft & the angels of death?
      They even sound like they're blowing their very duff horns!
      Iran/Persia has had resounding success against one angel of death already!

June 30, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
    • Ted

UK Dave:

No. False analogy. Bible nuts have tried to pull similar connections for centuries. All B S.

June 30, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
    • Reality

Angels/devils are the mythical creations of ancient civilizations, e.g. Hitt-ites, to explain/define natural events, contacts with their gods, big birds, sudden winds, protectors during the dark nights, etc. No "pretty/ugly/ wingyor horn-blowing thingies" ever visited or talked to Mohammed, Jesus, Mary or Joseph or Joe Smith. Today we would classify angels as fairies and "tinker bells". Modern devils are classified as the demons of the demented.

June 30, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
    • Reality

Some added references to "tink-erbells".

newadvent.org/cathen/07049c.htm

"The belief in guardian angels can be traced throughout all antiquity; pagans, like Menander and Plutarch (cf. Euseb., "Praep. Evang.", xii), and Neo-Platonists, like Plotinus, held it. It was also the belief of the Babylonians and As-syrians, as their monuments testify, for a figure of a guardian angel now in the British Museum once decorated an As-syrian palace, and might well serve for a modern representation; while Nabopolassar, father of Nebuchadnezzar the Great, says: "He (Marduk) sent a tutelary deity (cherub) of grace to go at my side; in everything that I did, he made my work to succeed."

Catholic monks and Dark Age theologians also did their share of hallu-cinating:

"TUBUAS-A member of the group of angels who were removed from the ranks of officially recognized celestial hierarchy in 745 by a council in Rome under Pope Zachary. He was joined by Uriel, Adimus, Sabaoth, Simiel, and Raguel."

And tin-ker- bells go way, way back:

"In Zoroastrianism there are different angel like creatures. For example each person has a guardian angel called Fravashi. They patronize human being and other creatures and also manifest god’s energy. Also, the Amesha Spentas have often been regarded as angels, but they don't convey messages, but are rather emanations of Ahura Mazda ("Wise Lord", God); they appear in an abstract fashion in the religious thought of Zarathustra and then later (during the Achaemenid period of Zoroastrianism) became personalized, associated with an aspect of the divine creation (fire, plants, water...)."

"The beginnings of the biblical belief in angels must be sought in very early folklore. The gods of the Hitti-tes and Canaanites had their supernatural messengers, and parallels to the Old Testament stories of angels are found in Near Eastern literature. "

"The 'Magic Papyri' contain many spells to secure just such help and protection of angels. From magic traditions arose the concept of the guardian angel. "

For added information see the review at:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel

June 30, 2012 at 4:35 pm |
  16. Guest0273

I agree with some posters.Atheism is a legit religion.

June 30, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
    • M.F. Luder

Out of curiosity, how did you arrive at that conclusion?

June 30, 2012 at 12:52 pm |
    • UK Dave

At least we know what's happening to junk disbelief!

June 30, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
    • Woody

"I agree with some posters.Atheism is a legit religion." – Guest0273

Obviously, you're just as dense as "some posters". Here's a simple explanation for some of you " think tank" people.

THEISM = belief in the existence of a god or gods ( as opposed to ATHEISM).

ATHEISM = disbelief in the existence of a god or gods (as opposed to THEISM).

RELIGION = belief in, worship of, or obedience to a supernatural power or powers considered to be divine or to have control of human destiny.

Get it? If you don't believe there's a god to worship, you can't have a religion.

June 30, 2012 at 2:28 pm |
    • Sim34

Guest0273
      You're posting this same thing all over the place. You've become a troll, if you weren't one from the very beginning.

June 30, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
    • Guest0273

Takes faith to be an atheist not logic science or this "reality" you claim to live in

All lies just to make a "Theist" look dumb.

June 30, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
    • AGuest9

Theists do that all by themselves. This Belief Blog is direct evidence.

June 30, 2012 at 6:58 pm |
    • Sue

Guest0273

All lies just to make a "Theist" look dumb.

June 30, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |

June 30, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
    • Sim34

Guest0273
      No more "faith" than you have that the Easter Bunny isn't real.

June 30, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
  17. AGuest9

A believer must have written the article. A ratio isn't a percentage.

June 30, 2012 at 10:23 am |
    • Joel

Um, yes it is. Its a ratio of the whole.

July 1, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
  18. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things.

June 30, 2012 at 10:18 am |
  19. AGuest9

Frying pan into fire. From one wacko church to an even worse one.

June 30, 2012 at 10:17 am |
    • truth be told

It is the non believer that should be concerned about fire

June 30, 2012 at 10:19 am |
    • AGuest9

Oh, that's right. The imaginary fire in the nonexistent place called hell. [Yawn]

June 30, 2012 at 10:24 am |
    • JWT

thruth be told – non-believers have nothing to worry about your gods fire.

June 30, 2012 at 11:38 am |
    • Reality

Eventually, we and our remnants will be roasted and consumed by the Sun or some other heat source.

What we do know: (from the fields of astrophysics, nuclear physics, geology and the history of religion)

1. After expanding and consuming the her planets, the Sun will burn out in 3-5 billion years so we have a time frame.

2. Asteroids continue to circle us in the nearby asteroid belt.

3. One wayward rock and it is all over in a blast of permanent winter.

4. There are enough nuclear weapons to do the same job.

5. Most contemporary NT exegetes do not believe in the Second Coming so apparently there is no concern about JC coming back on an asteroid or cloud of raptors/rapture.

6. All stars will eventually extinguish as there is a limit to the amount of hydrogen in the universe. When this happens (100 trillion years?), the universe will go dark. If it does not collapse and recycle, the universe will end.

7. Super, dormant volcanoes off the coast of Africa and under Yellowstone Park could explode catalytically at any time ending life on Earth.

Bottom line: our apocalypse will start between now and 3-5 billion CE. The universe apocalypse, 100 trillion years?

June 30, 2012 at 12:52 pm |