home
RSS
July 18th, 2012

Father and son join Catholic priesthood – together

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN)  The Revs. Chuck Hough IV and Chuck Hough III have more in common than just their names. The two have become a rarity in the Catholic Church a father and son who became ordained Catholic priests at the same time.

Both men are both former Episcopal priests, each with a wife and children.

The younger Hough grew up in the Dallas-Fort Worth area with his father as a leader in the Episcopal Church and ended up following in his footsteps, joining the church when he was 25.

The elder Hough had been an Episcopal priest for 31 years before both he and his son decided in 2011 to join the Catholic Church. First they became members of the Catholic Church, then applied to join as priests through the Personal Ordinariate of the Chair of St. Peter, a group to help Anglicans join the Catholic communion while maintaining some hallmarks of the Anglican tradition.

“We felt that something was missing for years and years,” the father said.

The uniqueness of a dad and son joining a church that requires priests to remain celibate and unmarried is not lost on the Houghs, who were formally ordained as Catholic priests June 30 at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Catholic Church in Keller, Texas.

CNN's Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the big stories

“We may be the only two that have been ordained together, certainly in U.S. Catholic history,” said the 57-year old father. “The father and son priests in Catholic Church history usually have been a widower who was later followed by his son.”

The Houghs have long been advocates of a closer relationship between the Catholic and Anglican churches.

The elder Hough said he grew up in an Anglo-Catholic diocese in Dallas and raised his son in a similar vein. During their time as Episcopal priests, both men said they identified as members of the Oxford Movement Anglicans who view their church as one of three branches of the Catholic Church.

One of the most notable theologians in this movement was John Henry Newman, a man who the Houghs said inspired them while they were Anglican priests. Newman, an Oxford professor in the 1880s, had long advocated for the unification of the Catholic and Anglican faiths. After publishing his final salvo in the Oxford Movement, Tract 90, Newman ended up converting to Catholicism and would later become a cardinal within the church.

During their Oxford Movement work, the Houghs said they began to believe that joining the Catholic Church was really what they wanted.

“I came to recognize fully that reunion from the Holy See was the pearl of great prize for us,” the elder Hough said. “It became the most important thing for us."

Both men said their conversions mark a success in the church’s goal of allowing married Episcopal priests to join the Catholic priesthood, one laid out by Pope John Paul II in 1981. In particular, the younger Hough, who is 30, sees their conversion as a model for future conversions.

“This is not a new issue for the local diocese here in Fort Worth,” he said.

But allowing married priests into the priesthood comes with specific issues that unwed Catholic priests don’t face. While all priests need health insurance, a stipend and housing, married priests require a Catholic diocese to provide these benefits for an entire family.

The younger Hough, who has two small children, said the increase in benefits wasn’t an issue for the Fort Worth Diocese.

“From the day I resigned until now and into the future, we have been fully taken care of by the Catholic Church,” he said. “Housing, health insurance, everything was provided so that we can pursue the calling.”

And in pursuit of this calling, the Houghs have become incredibly close their relationship clear in the way they speak about each other.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

“I have come to recognize my son's terrific gifts, and I celebrate those gifts,” the father said. “This is just the frosting on the cake.”

The younger Hough said, “Like father, like son. If God gives me the grace to be like my father, I will be a blessed man.”

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Anglican • Catholic Church • Christianity • Episcopal

1. chief

gerald is a butt loving pickle kissing kid loving priest..... ignore the rhetoric..... he is a God loving dress wearing ped protector that loves the rcc more than its victoms

July 19, 2012 at 11:28 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Wow, you need to take a deep breath and take a step back. Chief, because a person is a Catholic does not mean that they are automatically a pedo. Those statements are the same as when Al Sharpton and crew define all Whites by the actions of a few racist. Also the same as klan and neo-nazis when they do the same about minorities. I am not Catholic but I also know many Catholics and just like I will not judge and defend my White friends by Militant Blacks, I think you are being bigoted just like them on this.

July 20, 2012 at 3:49 am |
    • chief

hey middle river.... i never said all catholics..... but he is the poster child of apologists to the ped priest issue.... most likely he
      is one himself..... if you defend and deny as he does.... he is then an accomplice

July 20, 2012 at 7:37 am |
    • gerald

Chief is a hateful a s s ho l e who is too cowardly to let me know where he lives. I gave him my address a while back. He sits at his keyboard every day and lies about me and thinks he is justified. I'd love to kick him in the nuts since this has been going on for over a year. I am not a priest but there are many, many good ones and I would be honored to be among their company had God called me.

July 20, 2012 at 9:54 am |
    • gerald

By the way chief, I am not obsessing over you like you do me. I'm not even angry. Having a good day. I just want to kick you in the nuts. Though I doubt you have any. For calling me a ped and being a vile son of a beach I think I can get a mulligan from God on this one. Posted my address down below. Common chiefy, don't be such a coward.

July 20, 2012 at 3:00 pm |
    • Veritas

chief – actually YOU are a liar. You specifically said he "loves the rcc"[the whole church] more than children. Sorry – you're not just a lying bigot – you're also lacking in basic intelligence.

July 22, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
    • chief

you and veritas need counseling,,,,

July 22, 2012 at 11:09 pm |
    • chief

re gerald... did you say kick or lick? im sure its a typo..... your obsessed with that line, and another about shoving a rod up my ...... you need counseling ..... i just hate peds and people that defend them are accomplices.... so kindly leave my nuts out of this

July 24, 2012 at 9:49 am |
    • gerald

Chief, did you watch when the johns came?

July 24, 2012 at 1:14 pm |
    • chief

re gerald ... thats a very good catholic comment from you being all holy and all defending priests.......

July 25, 2012 at 8:26 am |
  2. chief

so priests can be married or not be married? or is this one of the "oh hell lets change the churchs stand on it for these episcipols"

July 19, 2012 at 6:48 pm |
    • sylvia

this is not new. hopefully this will encourage the church to allow priests to marry.

July 19, 2012 at 7:26 pm |
    • gerald

Chiefy makes a brilliant entrance once again and shows his ignorance. Nothing new, there have always been priests who were married in the Church. Eastern rites allow it and the Roman Rite has always allowed priests who came in from a different denomination and want ordination to be married. Over 500 priests came in to the Church from the anglicans in the mid 1990's when the anglicans started allowing women priests and most of them were married. They were ordained priests in the CC as well. Chiefy does not understand the difference between a discipline and a doctrine. All this after yesterday claiming his name was written on Cathoic Church windows. Well God bless ya mr. pella.

July 19, 2012 at 7:37 pm |
    • chief

so ped protector.... if i wanted to be a priest ( and not a ped which may make me unqualified ) and I am married and live in michigan.... and have been a bead counter all my life..... i cant be a priest.....

July 19, 2012 at 11:11 pm |
    • gerald

You couldn't clean toilets in the Catholic Church stupid.

July 20, 2012 at 7:10 am |
    • chief

i would be caught in a bathroom there with priests like you stalking around

July 20, 2012 at 7:38 am |
    • gerald

I know you wouldn't be caught in a bathroom because you sit in your easy chair all day because you are too fat to get out and so you crap your pants until your wife gets home and helps you.

July 20, 2012 at 9:55 am |
    • Chickenhauler

English-learn it, then go back and read the article. Take your time, sound out large words, seek the assistance of a third grader on the really tough ones. The answer is in the story. Durp a derp.

July 20, 2012 at 11:31 am |
    • SouthernCelt

The Byzantine Catholics have allowed married priests for years. Married, but celibate. A Priest's mind needs to be focused on Jesus and His Church, not his wife.

July 20, 2012 at 11:35 am |
    • chief

wah wah wah... its dicipline. not doctrine.... i mean dogma. i mean catachism... i mean interpretation....
      what you really mean is..... if someone questions you on it, .... you resort to violence.... lets start a fire....

July 22, 2012 at 11:12 pm |
    • gerald

What I mean is you are a mouthy coward who can't back up his mouth. I haven't resorted to any vilolence. Just proving you for what you are.

July 23, 2012 at 8:18 am |
    • chief

re gerald.... your not only a pathetic ped apologist but a liar.... you havent resorted to violence? you wanting kick in in the balls? shove a rod up my ..... ? get a life,,,

July 24, 2012 at 9:30 am |

Who's your dad chief?

July 24, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
    • chief

re gerald, great representation of catholics gerald.... i talk about peds and my hate of them, and you want to talk about my mom and now my dad .... pathetic.... go hit the confessional ... you need it

July 25, 2012 at 8:28 am |
  3. General Observation

Not too much has changed since Jesus walked this earth. People don't like really bad people and they don't like really good people either because man prefers indifference in other men. Remember Jesus was innocent and he was put to death with actual criminals.

July 19, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
    • terry

Great, thats just what we need...more catholic preist that keep it in the family...i was a catholic til i reached the age of reason. what a freakin racket organized religion is

July 19, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
    • Papasan

You're speaking of myths. "Jesus" walk this earth like Dorothy went to OZ, or Alice went to Wonderland. Pure fiction being spread as the "gospel" truth.

July 19, 2012 at 4:40 pm |
    • Edwardo

Jesus broke many laws of the land. He was a wanted man. He was a coward, and ran when he knew the authorities were hot on his trail.

July 19, 2012 at 10:29 pm |
    • Arvoasitis

@Edwardo
      You've got it backwards. The Roman authorities declared Jesus "an excellent citizen" after investigating complaints that he was fomenting revolution. Jesus had a lengthy and affable meeting with Pontius Pilate on the day of his crucifixion. Pilate was loathe to allow Jesus to be crucified and acceded to do so only after it became apparent that if he did not there might be serious rioting. Eventually, Pilate was said to have converted to Christianity and is numbered among the saints by some Coptic and Christian churches; as well, his wife, Procula, is canonized in the Eastern Church.
      Jesus' only "crime" was to offend the religious sensibilities of traditionalist Jews who were afraid of erosion of the ancient traditions.

July 20, 2012 at 7:40 am |
    • SouthernCelt

Terry, Papsan, and Edardo,
      Romans, and many other Atheists have said far worse than you and the Catholic Church is still here and will continue to be here long after you are dust. Internet anonymity is no excuse for a lack of manners and courtesy.

July 20, 2012 at 11:41 am |
  4. bdl1978

now they can tag team little boys together. it's funnny because it's true.

July 19, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
    • tmd5231741

bdl1978 you are a biggott ,and have no class. I would guess you are an uneducated fool.

July 19, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
    • Papasan

It's not funny, because it true.

July 19, 2012 at 4:41 pm |
    • gerald

If it is true about priests then it must be even more true about men and even married men who molest children at a higher rate than priests. You people are so prejudiced, you don't even have the facts. Priests commit this offense less than 2% of the time. Men in general molest children at a rate of 7%.

July 19, 2012 at 5:55 pm |
    • 0G-No gods, ghosts, goblins or ghouls

http : // www . religioustolerance . org / clergy_s3x8 . htm and of course there's other sources of data (such as Wiki...). I suspect gerald is using the best case numbers for pedophile priests and the worst case number for the general population to build a defense for the criminal behaviour of Pope-A-Dope and the RCC.

July 19, 2012 at 6:11 pm |
    • chief

right gerald... priests are supposed to be different ... men of God? unfortunately they are diffferent, they are peds... but you knew that

July 19, 2012 at 6:41 pm |
    • gerald

Chief, so all priests are peds? Moron.

July 19, 2012 at 7:45 pm |
    • gerald

By the way chiefy, priests are sinners like you and I. Oh I'll bet you think you don't sin. John says you would be a liar then. But we knew that.

July 19, 2012 at 7:46 pm |
    • chief

yes i am god.... i hold someone that is supposed to commit a life to God higher than those who may no t have the knowledge of Christ.... so condemn me now you ped protecting idol worshiping ped.....

July 19, 2012 at 11:13 pm |
    • gerald

Man what an imbicile. And a coward too.

July 20, 2012 at 7:12 am |
    • chief

not really a coward but not a ped apologist....

July 20, 2012 at 7:39 am |
    • gerald

Prove you are not a coward butt face.

July 20, 2012 at 9:56 am |
    • chief

re gerald.... prove i am not a coward.... ok, i have the strength to not be a ped apologist, i have the courage to think on my own and not follow voodoo christianity made up by men in dresses, i have the presence of mind to keep my cool when people dont like what i say ...... however, i do take advantage of the simple minded who are weak, followers of bs, deranged, and to you for that i am sorry, .... wouldnt have that been better if i were in a wooden box and you sitting there hearing it through a little window? but then again im not a kid so you might not like it

July 24, 2012 at 9:37 am |
  5. gerald

go to the bottom of the page.

July 19, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
    • gerald

These were responses to derp below but somehow got messed up. The point is that most child molesters are in fact married men. There are many sources online that come to this conclusion. Just do a little googling. A very small percentage of them are by Catholic priests.

July 19, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
    • just sayin

Gerald, why do you care? You support a church that protects and promotes r a p e. You are as disgusting as your church... It is what your organization (catholic) did to cover up and protect is the main issue. You suppor them, therefore you are jsut as guilty.

July 19, 2012 at 12:52 pm |
    • gerald

No my church's teachings in fact throughly teach against these things. Read the Catechism. Prove to me that a majority in the Church have committed these crimes and harbored those who have comitted them. You can't even come close. All you can do is point fingers and accuse all because some have. This proves you to be an intellectual neanderthal.

July 19, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
    • just sayin

Your church teachings? What does that have to do with the actions of your church? Or lack of I might say. Lets focus here Gerald...... The issue is how your church handled the matter. As I asked before.....what was the Catholic church doing prior to the investigations and lawsuits? Valid question being action of a person or organization is quite revealing. "Teachings", "Manuals" or "Policy" with no action is a moot point. I am not saying all catholics committed the crimes...I am saying by supporting an organization that systematically protected and supported r a p e....is just as bad. You sympathize with an evil organization.

July 19, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
    • gerald

Justsayin, I know what you are trying to say and the facts don't back it up except in your twisted mind in which everyone bears the guilt of what the minority has done. Gee I guess everyone in the PTA is condemned because some teachers have molested kids and other teachers even principles haven't turned them in. My Catholicism is not based on the leaders. It is based on the teachings of Jesus Christ. There are sinners in his Church, even the most vile kind as wolves among the sheep but there are many good sheep and Christ does not condemn me. Satan does and your words are his.

July 19, 2012 at 6:00 pm |
    • chief

the problem is that if gerald spent 1/2 as much time trying to fix the problem than whitewash it, he might have some credibilty.... most likely he is a priest and most likely one of the ones we hate..... hey gerald your stupid stats are general information.... but what catagory is them Men of God peds fall in... i would think they have a higher calling but they are safe as long as ped protectors are out there like you

July 19, 2012 at 6:37 pm |
    • gerald

Chief has nothing better to do but sit in his poop until his old lady comes home and pulls his fat butt out of the chair so he can take a bath and do it all again the next day. I'm guessing your mom has been on the Maury Povich show six or 8 times with different men trying to find out who your pop was. Good luck with that.

July 19, 2012 at 7:40 pm |
    • chief

re gerald.... typical catholic... you never defend your stance as an accomplice to the ped priests... unless you are one yourself.... you just take cheap shots like your christ would at me being old and fat and pooping myself.... my Christ would make a whip out of cords and drive your ped loving rear end out of in the streets

July 19, 2012 at 11:17 pm |

Your christ is a demon.

July 20, 2012 at 10:08 am |
    • gerald

" your ped loving rear end out of in the streets"
      What the hell is that? Did this guy finish grade school? Obviously flunked english and gramar.

July 21, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
    • chief

re gerald.... i bet you wish i were in grade school......

July 24, 2012 at 9:38 am |
    • gerald

When you were in grade school did your mommy have her way with you if you know what I mean?

July 24, 2012 at 7:00 pm |
    • chief

re gerald ....nice catholic comment and what part of the catachism did you learn to talk about peoples parents.... really dude, you need help

July 25, 2012 at 8:30 am |
  6. gerald

Go to the bottom of the page.

July 19, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
    • just sayin

July 19, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
    • chief

gerald would rather point to the secular world as a problem that his helly catholic church which protects peds and ingores the victoms while people like him deny it all

July 19, 2012 at 6:40 pm |
    • gerald

Chief, what are you doing for the victims? Tell me one thing you have done and posting on these boards doesn't count. Sorry.

July 19, 2012 at 7:41 pm |
    • chief

re gerald.... i beat the hell out of peds and ped protectors.... just kidding... it doesnt matter what i do.... what matters is what you do,,,, you defend them....... its a full time gig pounding your stupid remarks.... and i love it more than you love kids..... i will take that address again....

July 19, 2012 at 11:19 pm |

700 10th ST. New Brighton, MN

July 20, 2012 at 11:15 am |
    • gerald

What you will take is a rod up your a s s.

July 20, 2012 at 3:01 pm |
    • chief

thanks you gerald for the references to my b a l l s and a rod up my what? ..... that you priest may i have another.... get some help from a cult hotline ,,,, really your twisted

July 22, 2012 at 11:14 pm |
  7. gerald

Here is one source. Just do a little searching. You can find lots more that confirm this one.

July 19, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
    • just sayin

July 19, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
    • gerald

Why do I care what the facts are? Justsaying, that questions says alot about you and your bigotry.

July 19, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
    • just sayin

Your continued support of an organization the systematically covered up and supported r a p e says a ton about you. THE only reason they are dancing around now and acting like they care is because of the lawsuits and investigations. If they were never initiated, the cover up would still be going on today. The Catholic Church is rotten to the core.

So tell me r a p i st supporter, what was the Catholic Church doing about this crisis prior to the the lawsuits and investigations? If a Catholic was on the side of the road thirsty, I wouldn't even offer my p ! ss. I hold all accountable that still support this disgusting organization.

July 19, 2012 at 1:00 pm |
    • gerald

Maybe you are a ped justsayin? I mean many times it seems those who protest the most are guilty of what they protest.

July 19, 2012 at 1:06 pm |
    • just sayin

So that is how you respond. Interesting

July 19, 2012 at 1:26 pm |
    • gerald

No response will make any difference with bigots like you.

July 19, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
    • just sayin

Gerald,

Prior to the recent investigations and lawsuits...what was the Catholic Church doing about the crisis? What was the church with ties directly to the Apostles doing about it?

July 19, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
    • gerald

They were doing what modern pscyhology of the time told them to do. The ones they new about they tried to rehabilitate with therapy as modern pschology told them to. Most of them stayed under the radar because societally such abuse was so taboo that nobody talked about it except in wispers and people tended not to believe the wispers. Now that it is out in the open you use 20/20 hindsite and point the finger of superiority. I am quite sure there are skeletons in your closet as well. Tell me I am wrong.

July 19, 2012 at 6:04 pm |
    • A Frayed Knot

gerald,

"the ones they new about they tried to rehabilitate with therapy as modern pschology [sic] told them to."

- Modern law at the time (as now) also held it as a crime. They did not report them, as is required.

- They proclaimed themselves to be the paragons of truth, morality and social superiority. They betrayed you (and all of us).

July 19, 2012 at 6:14 pm |
    • chief

gerald cares so much because he thinks he is gonna get caught

July 19, 2012 at 6:38 pm |
    • gerald

Chief, my guess is your mom was retarded and your dad was an invalid.

July 19, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
    • chief

hey gerald.... address ? you know where to send it.... speaking of a mans mom might be funny to someone thats a ped .... it might be time you get to see my 80 year old self.... ha ha

July 19, 2012 at 11:21 pm |
    • gerald

Man your mom has gotta be ugly. If half your genes came from your pop, still half as ugly as you would be very ugly.

July 21, 2012 at 8:55 am |
    • chief

hey gerald.... your more pathetic than i really imagined.... your bringing my mom into it.... and my dad.... you talk about false witness..... see there is a problem now,.... why being a ped isnt one of the 10 commandments which you hide behind..... honoring your father and mother is..... so as i see it you have broken one of my 10 commandments....

July 22, 2012 at 11:18 pm |

Man you are stupid.

July 23, 2012 at 8:19 am |
    • gerald

It is you that is supposed to honor your mother. You don't. I can insult her all I want and you will do nothing about it you sniveling little coward. Just tell me you are a prinson inmate or in a mental inst.itution and I will gladly let you off the hook you poor excuse for a human being. Won't even defend his own mom. She's a bee itch. I bet.

July 23, 2012 at 9:11 am |
    • chief

re gerald.... ha ha, i dont have to defend my mom.... most likely she isnt as much of a woman as you, but im ok with that, your stooping to low levels, its real catholic of you to talk about a mans mom like that.... go say 10 hell faries and take a nap

July 24, 2012 at 9:44 am |
    • gerald

No you are too much of a coward and that has been proven over and over. It's easy to post filth, trash, and lies when nonone knows who you are and where you live. You are what you are chief. A bas-tard coward.

July 24, 2012 at 7:02 pm |
    • gerald

By the way I am in fact stooping to your level is all I am doing. You lying bas-tard coward.

July 24, 2012 at 7:02 pm |
    • chief

re gerald .... your true colors are showing ................. all i do is talk about the ped problem and those that try to hide it or redirect.... and you resort to violence, name calling, insulting family, etc..... i havent done that

July 25, 2012 at 8:32 am |
  8. Nigel Goddard

I was raised in the Anglican church and supported it financially but as there is confusion and an possible reunion with Rome, I'm completely turned off. There is no doubt that church leaders have always had good intentions and done humanity some good but there are to many bad things that are associated with the way christianity is managaged. CHIEN said that the reason the Roman Catholic church does not allow women priests is because Christ only ordained men. That is a weak argument for bigotry against women. Christ never flew on a 747 or drove around in a popemobileG or lived in a vast multibillion dollar palace with swiss guards yet priests fly everyday. GERALD quoted a study that said that 60% of protestant pastors regretted it because of the effect on their families, perhaps a study should ask how many Roman Catholic priests regret not ever having had a chance to hold their own wife or child in their arms. I have a tough time believing that a loving God would request that someone not marry and have a family of their own. As for the Anglican father and son Reverends joining the Church of Rome, perhaps they will show the church that priests can marry and still serve their communities. I wish them good luck.

July 19, 2012 at 11:36 am |
    • Voice Reason

Not for anything but Jesus was Jewish you might want to look there for your answer. Women are not allowed to be Rabbis either.

July 19, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
    • gerald

Perhaps you should check in to both Jesus and Paul's words that say it is better not to marry and that some have this GIFT for the sake of the kingdom. Do you believe the Bible or not? read it! Matt 19, 1 Cor 7. I have not known one priest who says that he regretted his vocation.

July 19, 2012 at 7:45 pm |
    • SouthernCelt

Nigel,
      Divorce and nationalism are not valid reasons to start a church. There are sound theological reasons why Men are Priests and Women are not if you were only open minded enough to read them. Pope John Paul II also wrote an Encyclical that put the subject to rest so that is the end of the discussion. Any further comment is just hot air and a waste of time. The Catholic Church does not hate women, but holds them, one in particular, in very high regard. Learn what the Church teaches instead of hating what you think it teaches.

July 20, 2012 at 11:54 am |
  9. ukiegal

Many priests are allowed to marry in the Catholic Church, just not in the Roman rite. Most Catholics and the public are uneducated in the entire religion which is composed of many different rites or the way the religion is practiced, such as Ukrainian, Byzantine and Maronite. Everyone usually thinks of Roman Catholics. In the Ukrainian Catholic Church priests are allowed to be married and have children all while still being Catholic under the pope of Rome. They have been doing it in Europe for centuries and there are many here in America.

July 19, 2012 at 10:37 am |
  10. spoddney

I was exorcised by some fundamentalists christians when I was eleven.

My poor mum was violently beaten for years by my father (a doctor) and she was so abused she became convinced he was the devil and that me and my sister (who was also abused) had been contaminated by the devil.

I had to pretend it was working (by shaking and drooling at the mouth) because I thought it would make my mum feel it was working. I didn't know any better, I was only eleven at the time.

They didn't do it for free either...they took loads of money of her, but she was desperate and she gave them whatever they asked.

My poor mum.

I don't like fundamentalists christians.

July 19, 2012 at 10:03 am |
  11. Why_Bother

Anyone else read this and think they just took a better job. He even says health insurance, housing- I don't think this had a lick to do with religion.

July 19, 2012 at 9:15 am |
  12. Robert Booie

What a weird little cult. What the heck is wrong with these two freaks?

July 19, 2012 at 8:50 am |
    • WATCH OUT

LOOK OUT LITTLE BOYS!

This father/son tag team is coming for your innocent bum!

July 19, 2012 at 8:54 am |
    • Taylor

That they are normal, healthy, smart, moral people, while you are a product of ignorance, inmorality, perversity and stupidity.
      Normal Americans we are the silent mayority , you are what my shoe picks in a park.

July 19, 2012 at 9:36 am |
    • Lobster

They both like kids... A LOT...

July 19, 2012 at 9:53 am |
  13. James

I am catholic and never understood the logic of priests and nuns not being allowed to marry.

July 19, 2012 at 7:57 am |
    • gerald

If you are catholic then you accept the Bible as the Word of God. I suggest reading Matt 19. After a discussion on divorce Peter says to Jesus, "then it is better not to marry". Jesus says "to some this has been given for the sake of the kingdom". In other words men who are unmarried can more fully serve God and bring about his kingdom because they are unfettered by their marrital duties. Paul makes this point well in 1 Cor 7 where he says it is better not to marry. Think of the missionaries who had to go in to the jungles. Could they have done it in near the speed and canvased the globe as quickly with a family to worry about? Think of the priests who are called in the middle of the night by the family of a dying loved one? I heard a pole some years back that 60% of protestant pastors if they had to do it over again would not be pastors due to the strain on their families. Much more I could say on the spiritual reasons for it, the Church being the bride of Christ and the priests acting in his person but I hope that helps.

July 19, 2012 at 8:18 am |
    • ImWithJeebus

Me too, although it's really just a matter of the fact that the Catholic church is a very old and incredibly large organization. Generally those factors make an organization very slow to change. I think the church will see it, it will just be a long time.

July 19, 2012 at 8:18 am |
    • Anne S.

The reason the priests don't get married because they are fashioned after Jesus. Being Jesus never married, the priests follow in his foot steps. I think the nuns follow the same as the priests. I was taught this along time ago by the nuns. And the reason the Catholic Church has survived so long is because St. Peter was the first Pope, a follower of Jesus. And that is why the Catholic Church has always been recognized as the true religion.

July 19, 2012 at 8:41 am |
    • Lobster

C'mon! They can have a lot of fun with each other, without actually having to live with ea other. Sounds like heaven to me...

July 19, 2012 at 9:55 am |
    • What

They are sick

July 19, 2012 at 11:21 am |
    • chief

so gerald.... why are they allowing them?

July 19, 2012 at 11:23 pm |
  14. Reality

Only for the new members of this blog:

The Crises in the contemporary Catholic Church:

The inappropriate conduct of many priests, the emotional stress on the victims and the resultant billion dollars in lawsuits.

The lack of talent in the priesthood.

The lack of Vatican response to the historic Jesus movement.

The Church's continuing cling to original sin and the resulting subsets of crazy ideas like limbo.

The denial of priesthood to women.

The restriction of priesthood to single men (unless you are former Episcopalian priests which rankles single celibate priests),

The continued chain of Vatican "leadership" by old European white men.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

July 19, 2012 at 7:11 am |
    • Lobster

The major cause of the crisis in the Catholic church is their insistency on continuing to believe in god. such an old fable!

July 19, 2012 at 9:56 am |
  15. Patricksday

So these guys can remain married and the church will not only support them, but their wives and children too? We might have a rise in vocations once we get a Pope who is not living in the dark ages.

July 19, 2012 at 6:12 am |
    • gerald

This is nothing new at all. In fact eastern rite priests are allowed to be married and always have been. They are in full communion with rome. The rise in vocations if it happened, would also require a fall in productivity of the priests as, just as scripture says in 1 Cor 7 these men would be divided between family and serving God. Sorry but being out of the dark ages isn't all it is cracked up to be.

July 19, 2012 at 8:21 am |
    • chief

once again... if then ,,,, then that,,, else this, if that ... and yes this is holy craP DOCTRINE....

July 19, 2012 at 11:24 pm |
  16. tenaciousdeucer

Bunch of creepy dudes right there.

July 19, 2012 at 5:00 am |
  17. Ubkeke

CNN posted something about religion? I can't wait to read all of the controversial and completely unrelated posts raging in the comments section! When will Christians and Atheists learn that neither side is worth preaching? What's wrong with preaching tolerance and coexistence? I'm sure Christianity is evil and Atheism is a sin, but we're all people and we're all in this together. CNN just needs to stop with this BeliefBlog. No one actually enjoys the articles, everyone is here to argue.

July 19, 2012 at 4:46 am |
    • It's ok

Need a hug?

July 19, 2012 at 7:24 am |
  18. Chien

It is wonderful to see those searching for the Truth have found God and the Church founded by Jesus Christ.

Eastern Orthodox Catholic Church does allow married priest, but married priests have their own problems; since a married priest needs to care for his family, hence can not give 100% of himself at all time.

Celibacy is a discipline, and it has become a tradition in the Roman Catholic Church. The Roman Catholic Church does acceptt non-Catholic Christian married priest and his family, who want to be converted to Catholics. Once after ordained as a Catholic priest, one is not allowed to get marry; this means for the married priest, who converted to Catholic priest, he is not allowed to re-marry after his wife dies.

Becoming a Catholic priest is not solely one's desire to become a Catholic priest, but also one is chosen and called by God to continue His ministries in the world; so, it is not for everyone. Since Jesus chose only males as His 12 Apostles, the Catholic Church can not change that to allow woman priests.

Jesus has said: "And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it." (Matthew 16:18)

So, the Catholic Church might have to go through tough, difficult, crisis and dark times through out its history over 2000 years, but it will survive as Jesus has foretold. For us Christians who believe in Jesus Christ and His Words, we don' t have to worry about the Church, but don't be afraid to be witnesses of Christ, living the Christian faith in our daily life in the world.

July 19, 2012 at 4:06 am |
    • William Brown

"So, the Catholic Church might have to go through tough, difficult, crisis and dark times through out its history"

Jesus said, "You will know them by their friuts" The Catholic Church has been in the business of murder and torture, sin selling (indulgences), polictical meddling, and now pedophilia throughout its 2000 year history. She has nothing to do with Jesus Christ except owing Him an apology for taking His Name in vain. "You will know them by their fruits" – JC

July 19, 2012 at 7:52 am |
    • Kevin Jablonski

Beautifully written Chien! And I couldn't agree more.

July 19, 2012 at 1:01 pm |
  19. Marc Brown

Why do they all look gay?

July 19, 2012 at 3:25 am |
    • Michael J.

The same thing could be asked about you.

July 19, 2012 at 5:05 am |
  20. Y'all Are Crazy

As a recovering Catholic, I fail to understand why being married is okay for some priests and not okay for others. If you let some stay married, let them all be married. The RCC is really only hurting itself by imposing such draconian/misogynistic/ridiculous rules on its clergy. If they really want the people who feel called to serve, they need to open their doors to married Catholics too.

And for all the weirdos ranting about how hateful and terrible all us atheists are, it is entirely possible to be a good, decent human being without believing in god. I wake up each and every day determined to do the right thing, no matter what. My lack of a belief in god doesn't deter me from doing so, either. My parents are devout Christians and we have no problems discussing all of the questions good atheists ask about the nature of the world we live in - civility is what is missing in most debates like this and all the diarrhea some of you seem to be posting here is proof positive.

July 19, 2012 at 2:29 am |
    • Qwerty Elemeno

Sexual repression like chaste priests is guaranteed to produce preverse results – it's way too strong a desire to expect people to ignore. The abuse that has staggered the church would be much less if they didn't have that bizarre rule.

In Utah, Mormon repression of urges results in what is often the highest rate of rape (heavily underreported due to weird Mormon mindsets towards raped women) and porn consumption in the country. Don'tbelieve me? Google it.

Perfect example of why religion is not helping the world. The uptight obsession with anything to do with sex is part of the darkness religion brings to the world, and it does not need to be that way.

July 19, 2012 at 3:40 am |
    • A Brother in Christ

"But you are the chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people acquired for a possession so that you will tell out the vitues of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; . . ." 1 Peter 2:9. A priest is not a position but a function. Most Catholic priest doesn't have real experience of Christ as their life. I wonder if they are born again. They can be priest because they graduated from the seminary. 1 Peter 2:9 is addressed to all who were called out of darkness into His marvelous light. Anyone who are called out from darkness into His marvelous light are chosen race and belong to a royal priesthood. God's desire is to have the church the body of Christ. The highest we can have in His body is a member. In His body there is no hierarchy. Romans 12:4-5 For just as in one body we have many members, and all members doesn't have the same function, so we who are many are one Body in Christ and individually members of one another. Galatians 3:26-28 says: For you are all son's of God through faith in Christ Jesus. For as many as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. Recovery Version

July 19, 2012 at 4:31 am |
    • owl96

The rule is very simple. Married men may be ordained a Deacon, and in limited cases, may be ordained to the Priesthood. However, ordained Deacons and Priests may not marry after they are ordained. Married Deacons are not ordained to the Priesthood.

July 19, 2012 at 7:53 am |
    • gerald

Qwerty, it is odd that perversity occurs far more in married men than in the priesthood. Incidence of child abuse are far higher in men with spouses than in the priesthood. Simple fact. There goes your theory.

July 19, 2012 at 8:22 am |
    • gerald

Crazy, maybe you don't have all the facts. I posted a couple of posts above that you should read. Much more I could say on the reasons for celibacy but it is in the spiritual realm and I doubt you would be accepting of it. Good for you that you try do right. Romans 2:14-16 says that all men have God's laws written on their hearts including atheists. So it is not surprizing that atheists can try. Too bad you neglect the first three laws. That won't sit well with you at judgement.

July 19, 2012 at 8:25 am |
    • derp

"Qwerty, it is odd that perversity occurs far more in married men than in the priesthood. Incidence of child abuse are far higher in men with spouses than in the priesthood. Simple fact. There goes your theory

Source?

July 19, 2012 at 9:30 am |

July 19, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

A little known tidbit. Catholic religious take three vows. One of celibacy and two of obedience. When asked why, one priests responded "Celibacy is easy. Obedience, now that is tough."

July 19, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@BIll,

I thought they were celibacy, poverty and obedience?

July 19, 2012 at 5:10 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

I think I got it wrong. I remember it as chast.ity, poverty and obedience.

July 19, 2012 at 5:35 pm |
    • chief

gerald is a butt loving pickle kissing kid loving priest..... ignore him

July 19, 2012 at 11:26 pm |
    • Veritas

Y'all crazy – Don't dress it up --by "recovering Catholic" you mean :
      # You're willingly disloyal to the God who made you
      # You cast pearl before swine
      # You sold your birthright for a mess of potage
      # You stopped worshipping God and strted worshipping yourself

What does Jesus advise about people like you – who have heard but won't listen – "leave their house; shake the dust from your shoes"
      You made your choice, live with it – but it's REALLY nothing to brag about.

July 22, 2012 at 2:48 pm |