home
RSS
July 20th, 2012

Belief Blog's Morning Speed Read for Friday, July 20

By Laura Koran, CNN

Here's the Belief Blog’s morning rundown of the top faith-angle stories from around the United States and around the world. Click the headlines for the full stories.

From the Blog:

CNN: As Ramadan begins, controversial mosque won't be ready to open doors
Worshippers at an Islamic center in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, will have to wait a few more weeks before they can use their new mosque, officials said Thursday. The mosque – subject of a two-year battle marked by legal wrangling, vandalism and anti-Muslim sentiment – still needs to pass inspection and get its occupancy permit, mosque officials said.

CNN: Chick-fil-A's marriage stance causing a social storm
The fact that Chick-fil-A is a company that espouses Christian values is no secret. The fact that its 1,600 fast-food chicken restaurants across the country are closed on Sundays has long been testament to that. But the comments of company President Dan Cathy about gay marriage to Baptist Press on Monday have ignited a social media wildfire.

George Zimmerman, center, sits during his bond hearing in late June.

CNN: Zimmerman: Shooting 'God's plan'
It was "God's plan" that brought together George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin in a fatal confrontation in February, Zimmerman told Fox News host Sean Hannity Wednesday in his first television interview. Zimmerman, 28, has been charged with second-degree murder for shooting Martin in what he says was self-defense. Martin was unarmed when he was killed while walking back to his father's girlfriend's house in a gated residential area of Sanford, Florida. Zimmerman has pleaded not guilty and has been free on $1 million bail since early July.

CNN: 'The Blind Side' too hot for Christian bookstore
"The Blind Side" was a heartwarming movie about a real-life Christian family who adopted a troubled teen with a knack for football, helped him get into college, and eventually all the way to the NFL. It was nominated for a best picture Oscar, won Sandra Bullock the best actress Oscar, and it won over Christian audiences who for decades have said they were slighted and misrepresented by Hollywood. But all that was not enough to keep the movie on the shelves one of the country's largest Christian bookstores.

Tweet of the Day:

Belief on TV:

Enlightening Reads:

The New York Times: Priest Asks to Be Spared Prison
Lawyers for Msgr. William J. Lynn of Philadelphia, the first senior official in the Roman Catholic Church in the United States to be convicted of failing to prevent child sex abuse by priests under his supervision, asked on Thursday that he be spared prison, arguing that a lengthy sentence “would be merely cruel and unusual.”

Religion News Service: Ramadan fast poses challenge for Muslim Olympians
Winning an Olympic medal is hard. Surprisingly, winning one when you’re fasting for Ramadan is not that much harder. At least, not for Suleiman Nyambui of Tanzania, who took silver in the 5000 meters at the 1980 Summer Olympics while fasting for the Islamic holy month.

The Times of India: Soon, Golden Temple to use phone jammers
The Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee, Sikhs' highest religious body, is preparing to install jammers inside the Golden Temple complex to stop the "menace of ringing mobile phones." The Sikhs' holiest of holy shrine receives over 1 lakh people everyday and the entire complex literally remains abuzz with the sound of thousands of ringing cell phones.

The Hartford Courant: Greenberg: Islam 'A Cult In Many Respects'
Republican congressional candidate Mark Greenberg questioned whether Islam was a peaceful religion Thursday and said he believed it was "a cult in many respects." His remarks were made in a radio interview on WNPR's "Where We Live" program. For nearly 50 minutes, Greenberg, a candidate in the 5th District congressional race, chatted with host John Dankosky about his campaign and his beliefs. His remarks on Islam came in the last few minutes of the interview.

USA Today: Atheist group offended by Ag secretary's praying for rain
The Obama administration has offended some atheists. One day after Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack told reporters he gets on his knees every day and prays for rain, the Council for Secular Humanism - a leading atheist group - accused the Obama administration of sending the wrong message to farmers caught in one of the worst droughts in decades.

The Houston Chronicle: For Jeremy Lin: Houston church-hunting advice
Linsanity has hit Houston hard already, and in such an ethnically diverse and heavily Christian city, new Rocket Jeremy Lin bound to attract even more fans. New Yorkers may be mourning the loss of the former Knicks hotshot, but the one-of-kind basketball player—an Asian American, evangelical, Harvard grad—is ready for a stint in the Bible Belt.

Excerpt of the Day:

God is out, Higgs Boson in,
Invisible, unseen
Particulate angels on a pinhead
From absences, we glean.

From a poem written by Rabbi David Wolpe of Sinai Temple in Los Angeles after the announcement of the discovery of the Higgs boson particle. Read the full poem on the Washington Post’s Guest Voices page.

Opinion of the Day:

CNN: My Take: McCain takes down Bachmannism and stands up for America
Stephen Prothero, a Boston University religion scholar and author of "The American Bible: How Our Words Unite, Divide, and Define a Nation," praises Sen. John McCain for defending Huma Abedin, deputy chief of staff to Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, after accusations were leveled against her by some congressional Republicans.

Join the conversation…

CNN: Father and son join Catholic priesthood – together
The Revs. Chuck Hough IV and Chuck Hough III have more in common than just their names. The two have become a rarity in the Catholic Church – a father and son who became ordained Catholic priests at the same time. Both men are both former Episcopal priests, each with a wife and children.

- CNN's Laura Koran

Filed under: Uncategorized

1. lmbowler

Reblogged this on Matt Bowler's San Diego News Updates and commented:
    7/23/2012

July 23, 2012 at 6:57 am |
  2. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer really changes things !

July 23, 2012 at 4:47 am |
    • Jesus

The statistical studies from the nineteenth century and the three CCU studies on prayer are quite consistent with the fact that humanity is wasting a huge amount of time on a procedure that simply doesn’t work. Nonetheless, faith in prayer is so pervasive and deeply rooted, you can be sure believers will continue to devise future studies in a desperate effort to confirm their beliefs!|.

July 23, 2012 at 10:32 am |
  3. Test

😦

😥

July 23, 2012 at 12:01 am |
  4. HeavenSent

Oh Lameness Spotter. I love you. Esp. when you stick the beads in your behind. Amen.

July 22, 2012 at 10:58 pm |
  5. Lameness Spotter

Hey why don't you shut up? HeavenSent is my f'n wife! I know she's fat and all, but the lord loves me and her together

July 22, 2012 at 10:56 pm |
  6. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

I loveth the p..eee..nniss! Amen.

July 22, 2012 at 10:53 pm |
  7. HeavenSent

Oh yes, I would love to shove my 3ft long d.iildo. in your ann.us. Now, will you have the s.e.x.x... with my donkey? The Lord wishes to see a donkey.entertained. Praise the Heavens. Prayer cures everything, and fills every bizarre desire I have! Amen

July 22, 2012 at 10:44 pm |
    • Lameness Spotter

Really not funny anymore, kid. HS hasn't even been here today... and besides that, she does a better job of dissing herself and her goofy ideas than you ever could.

July 22, 2012 at 10:52 pm |
  8. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

HeavenSent, Will you please let me place a dil.do. in your an.u.s? The Lord commandeth! Amen!

July 22, 2012 at 10:42 pm |
  9. Steve

@CQ; "Most Christians think that the Rapture is pure myth"

Huh? Since when?

July 22, 2012 at 7:36 pm |
  10. UK Dave & my fellow scientists

WE ARE NOT PERMITTED TO NEGLECT!
    What did you neglect?

July 20, 2012 at 7:51 pm |
  11. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things.

July 20, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
    • Jesus

The statistical studies from the nineteenth century and the three CCU studies on prayer are quite consistent with the fact that humanity is wasting a huge amount of time on a procedure that simply doesn’t work. Nonetheless, faith in prayer is so pervasive and deeply rooted, you can be sure believers will continue to devise future studies in a desperate effort to confirm their beliefs!'

July 20, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
    • Steve

You have to pray according to His will. "Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done."

If prayer worked as you suggest, everybody would pray to be millionaires and live for ever, etc...

Dope!

July 22, 2012 at 7:29 pm |
    • HeavenSent

I prayed, God answered. He gave me some bun..g hol.e beads! Amen.

July 22, 2012 at 10:54 pm |
  12. HS

Cq, stop spreading the man made lie of the Rapture.

July 20, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
    • AGuest9

Why stop with "the Rapture"? There have been plenty of lies over the past 2000 years, or so.

July 21, 2012 at 10:59 am |
    • 0G-No gods, ghosts, goblins or ghouls

HS, I find Marilyn Agee to be very convincing about the rapture. You should visit her website – I think tou two would get along famously.

July 21, 2012 at 11:05 am |
  13. K-switch

Apparently NH has nothing better to discuss than whether or not people are using multible handles. But I suppose she's uesd to cliaming the unprovable as fact. Are we here to discuss religion or internet etiquette?

July 20, 2012 at 11:58 am |
  14. HeavenSent Blog

HeavenSent Blog

Hello and welcome to the HeavenSent blog. This is YOUR opportunity to voice your HeavenSent opinions!

Please frame your posts to best preach to Atheists about the dangers of a Godless life-style.

Here are some suggested key words to get you started:

Carnal
    Liar against His truth
    Abide in Jesus' truth
    Prideful
    Tommie Tom
    Minions of satan
    Talmud
    Man-made lies of the talmud
    Jesus’ letter, the Bible
    Satan is death
    Pathetic
    Your father Satan
    You atheists
    Smug atheists
    Amen
    Throw away that users manual
    Prayer really works
    No eyes to see or hear His truth
    Blotted out for eternity
    Burn burn burn for all eternity
    Writing your filth
    True Christians
    The liar satan
    Snakes in your Belly
    Athiests at CNN
    They are blocking my posts again
    Dead bones

And much, much more! Remember….Muslims, Jews and Atheists need not apply!

Amen.

July 20, 2012 at 11:48 am |
    • HeavenSent

Oh phony heavensent is upset that I post Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior's truth.

Boo hoo, those that are blinded by the lies of satan and as his minions hate Jesus Christ. Boo-hoo, they believe satan's lies that as a group they are gods. LOL. As Jesus has it written ... they will all be given a personal worm assigned to them through eternity, that is never quenched for being enemies against Jesus.

July 20, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
    • HeavenSent

I have a ddiicckk... in my a...ss...sss....

July 22, 2012 at 10:48 pm |
    • HeavenSent

i'm mast...er... b4taing to a picture of Jesus with a stick in His Holy Behind, while he sucketh from the milk of the priests.

July 22, 2012 at 10:52 pm |
  15. Doc Vestibule

As I sat in prayerful meditation last night, a great, deafening blast from a heavenly horn heralded the arrival of a ghostly being of terrible power.
    A blinding flash of purest white light overtook the room and I fell to my knees before the mighty sprectre. And it spake.
    "Lo! I am the archangel Dimmbulbi and I come unto you, Vestibular Doctor, with tidings of things not yet come to pass. And ye shall share these warnings with all thine people so that a terrible doom may be avoided."
    For an unknown length of time, my very brain was flooded with a torrent of images, terrible to behold.
    And so, just as John did in the book of Revelation, so shall I share with you these heavenly images of doom doom doom!

In a desert scape far to the east where black gold does lay beneath the sand, I saw the mind of a despotic leader.
    Mahmoud was his name and great evil does he plan. Stones that emit an aura poison to man and filled with explosive energy were being sown as seeds in the earth amongst the insects of the desert. And yea there came forth scorpions of brobdignagian proportions who breathed atomic fire and stung with poison like acid!
    When asked by his allies and enemies alike as to their purpose, president Ahmadinejad did say that they were "purely decorative."

And then the archangel Dimmbulbi revelaed images of my own homeland's closest ally and the failing health of its people. All across the New World, the people grew ever more fat and slothful and knowing this in themselves, saught an easy answer.
    A great wizard by the name of Popeil did ponder the issue and upon reflection, did seek to use poison as medicine. "As botulism has cured wrinkling, so too shall salmonella cure obesity! But wait, there's more! Across the land shall I raise booths in the common shopping malls to administer the greatest of my inventions to the people. Yea, for 3 easy payments of $24.99 my people shall be injected with Salmonex and they shall technicolourly hurl their girth into the toilet."

Many more images did I see – Paris Hilton toting an adopted african child in a handbag I saw. Suri Cruise named the second coming of L. Ron being adorned with fictional military decorations.
    I saw in my mind the Four Swedish Disco Bands of The Apocalypse – Abba, Ace of Bass, Aqua and an unnamed fourth group – exploding the ears and good sense of crowds of drunkards wiht their funky, butt wiggling DOOM!
    I saw these things and wept, my brothers and as the archangel commanded, share these tidings with you all.
    Before He departed, Dimmbulbi did tell me that these things may be averted if only the world would heed my call. So now, my brothers, waste not any time! Send me your money in cash (small, unmarked bills only) so that I might avert these things for you.
    I also accept certified cheques and money orders. No personal cheques.

July 20, 2012 at 10:44 am |
    • Dodney Rangerfield

Did you hear the one about the Canadian that minded its own F'n business?

July 20, 2012 at 10:45 am |
    • Dodney Rangerfield

Not going to happen. The ass hole can't help itself from butting into other peoples business where it is neither needed wanted or invited.

July 20, 2012 at 10:47 am |
    • Who invited me?

Dodney
      Oh you mean like you are doing?
      What do you ahve against canadians? and how do you know they are canook?

July 20, 2012 at 10:49 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Bravo, Doc V!!!

July 20, 2012 at 10:50 am |
    • Who invited me?

Hey Doc
      What form of chemical did you take before your litle journey, and is it readily available?
      Should I see a pharmacist or a herbal hobbiest

July 20, 2012 at 10:54 am |
    • Dodney Rangerfield

Nothing against Canadians, Everything against ass holes . These just happen to be identified as butt in ass holes from Canada.

July 20, 2012 at 11:02 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

So you hate yourself, Dodney?

July 20, 2012 at 11:04 am |
    • Who invited me?

Dudney
      Who's as sholes do you have everything against?...sounds disgusting to me, but then I don't swing that way....to each his own I guess.

July 20, 2012 at 11:06 am |
    • HeavenSent

Doc, you're not the only fool on this site, but, you sure are moving fast to be the biggest.

3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

4 And they shall turn away [their] ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

2 Timothy 4:3-4

Amen.

July 20, 2012 at 11:11 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

July 20, 2012 at 11:15 am |
    • JA

As a christian, I can take jokes. This actually made me giggle. Even though most can't see eye to eye, sometimes laughter is the best medium.

July 20, 2012 at 11:22 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

@HeavenSent
      Are you saying that my dry bones are carnally hellbound?
      Relax, lady!

July 20, 2012 at 11:22 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

If Joseph Smith can be visited by ironically named archangels, why not me?
      Remember – if you don't ti/the to me 10% of your net worth, I won't be able to protect you from the terrible wrath of The Dancing Queen.

July 20, 2012 at 11:25 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Doc must have had two bowls of Wheaties today!

July 20, 2012 at 11:27 am |
    • HeavenSent

Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son, you posted "Whoever's compiling the HeavenSent Glossary should be sure to add "itching ears", if he/she hasn't already included it."

Answer: That would be you Scotty.

July 20, 2012 at 11:39 am |
    • Sue

Who invited me?
      Possibly it was the same one Moses was inhaling from that burning bush?

July 20, 2012 at 11:44 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I'll probably be sorry I asked, but who is this Scotty? I have no idea what you're talking about (well, that's true most of the time anyway). I am guessing from your other posts that he is (or that you believe he is) an employee of CNN. I have no idea if such a person exists, but I do know I'm not Scotty, nor do I play him on this forum.

July 20, 2012 at 11:45 am |
    • Cq

Doc Vestibule
      Isn't ABBA another name people use for God? 🙂

July 20, 2012 at 11:48 am |
    • Plop!

Poor HeavenSent – oops! I meant Dodney -s he forgot to change her name for her second post so it looked like someboby agreed with her.

She must hate it when she does that!

July 20, 2012 at 12:01 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Now it's a phony handle using Plop. I'm not any other Christian on this site writing His truth so that you open your eyes to see and hear His truth instead of being blinded by the lies of satan. Seriously, I can only stomach reading the atheist slop for so long, never mind posting under numerous handles (oh, Tommie Tom is going to hate my writing handle, but, after all, I am flying with EVIL, so, handle is appropriate to use) to stay on longer than need be.

July 20, 2012 at 12:12 pm |
    • Jack

So I've been playing a drinking game. I drink everytime HS says "phony". :::hiccup:::

July 20, 2012 at 1:13 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Stay drunk Jack, you just proved another of Jesus' scriptures to be true.

July 20, 2012 at 1:56 pm |
    • Mass Debater

"I saw in my mind the Four Swedish Disco Bands of The Apocalypse – Abba, Ace of Bass, Aqua and an unnamed fourth group" The fourth band was unnamed since it is not a disco band, but a true swedish death metal band called Amon Amarth!! And Lo how Mount Doom rumbled with pleasure at it's coming...

July 20, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
    • Jack

What scripture is that HS?

July 20, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
    • HeavenSent

I'm not looking the scripture up for you. You're already lazy, get off you butt and find it.

July 20, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
    • Jack

Considering my post was obviously this little thing called a joke, the veres reference couldn't be about drinking. Any hints about the topic HS?

July 20, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
  16. AGuest9

Islamic red-necks can't celebrate holiday.
    Chick-fil-A goes on to alienate more of its customers with radical "Christian" viewpoint.
    Zimmerman concedes: God made me do it.
    Yet another example of Christian censorship is on display.
    Priest denies molestation is cruel and unusual, pleads to not be subjected to same type of victimization as young boys.
    Ramadan fast no different than daily diet for Third World athletes.
    Sikhs don't wish to be reached out and touched in the Temple.
    Connecticut republican congressional candidate recognizes Islam as a cult, but leaves out all others.
    Agriculture Secretary admits to bizarre medieval practice expected to influence weather.
    Lin looking for new bunch of kooks to hang with on Sundays.
    McCain comes to senses – four years too late.
    Married priests, just like the apostles, but in through the side door.

July 20, 2012 at 8:41 am |
    • junior

radical Christian view. You mean the view that has consistently been held since the beginning of Christianity?

July 20, 2012 at 10:10 am |
    • Who invited me?

junior
      Which of the 38,000+ christian views is that?

July 20, 2012 at 10:14 am |
    • HeavenSent

The only truth about life and the hereafter is Jesus Christ's.

July 20, 2012 at 10:18 am |
    • HeavenSent

AGuest, I did write that Muslims don't hate all Americans, just you atheists.

July 20, 2012 at 11:42 am |
    • AGuest9

There is no "hereafter", LOL.

July 21, 2012 at 10:55 am |
    • AGuest9

junior, I don't remember this Christ being attributed with hate speech, like the modern "Christians".

July 21, 2012 at 10:58 am |
  17. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things

July 20, 2012 at 5:58 am |
    • Mirosal

People have been praying for you to stop, but you're still here. Prayer changed nothing. So much for your little theory.

July 20, 2012 at 6:35 am |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

Mirosal: It is not a theory. Theories are usually backed with evidence and facts. There is no evidence or facts to back that prayer does anything more than appease these weak minded fools and make them lazier in thought than they already are.

July 20, 2012 at 8:45 am |
    • Mirosal

ok ... Jedi mind trick ... gotcha m'lady 🙂

July 20, 2012 at 8:48 am |
    • 0G-No gods, ghosts, goblins or ghouls

And if there are no evidence or facts to support religion in general?

July 20, 2012 at 9:47 am |

2 Timothy 4:3-4

Amen.

July 20, 2012 at 9:52 am |
    • Who invited me?

HS
      I can't think of anything intelligent to say, so here's a quote from 2000+ year old men.

July 20, 2012 at 9:53 am |
    • K-switch

Or you could find a random scripture in the Koran about false prophets and claim it to be proof Christianity is wrong.

July 20, 2012 at 9:58 am |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

Who invited me?: HS is off her meds again.

July 20, 2012 at 10:05 am |
    • HeavenSent

Who... Jesus Christ's truth is all there is.

July 20, 2012 at 10:20 am |
    • HeavenSent

TruthP, thanks for proving you are Tommie Tom too using her favorite saying. LOL. You do know you're miserable.

July 20, 2012 at 10:25 am |
    • Jesus

July 20, 2012 at 10:25 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

HS, do you really think I'm the only person on here who thinks you're mentally ill and should seek treatment, or who would say so in jest? You REALLY need to get out more.

July 20, 2012 at 10:52 am |
    • HeavenSent

Tommie, I believe there are more fools that don't believe Jesus Christ's truth than just you on this site. I also know that most of you atheists use multiple handles and your special venom Tom Tom comes through on most of your phony handles that you hide like the coward you are Tom.

July 20, 2012 at 11:16 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Haven't used a single other name (not "handle", dummy). You can pretend all you want, but that's the truth.

July 20, 2012 at 11:17 am |
    • Keith

I find it telling that you liberal turds portray those who disagree with you as being "mentally ill". I'd bet that the Nazi's did the same thing or the Chinese Communists, for that matter. That is what you people are, right? Well, Bill Ayers did say that 25 million Americans would have to be eliminated-you know, the hard-core resistors who couldn't be "re-educated". You people are truly demonically influenced in your thinking.

July 20, 2012 at 11:30 am |
    • HeavenSent

Notice how the avatars aren't utilized on this site Scotty, as was used on the other site you ran into the ground.

July 20, 2012 at 11:44 am |
    • Cq

Keith
      But people can become deluded, right? If someone told you that they were in communication with God you'd have to hear what they claimed God said before deciding whether, or not to believe them, and it's not a case of there being a clear majority of opinion governing this either. Most Christians might choose to distance themselves from Zimmerman's claim that the shooting was a part of God's plan, but a sizable number still do agree with his view. Most Christians think that the Rapture is pure myth, but the number who think it's actually going to happen clearly consider those who don't deluded. So, within the Christian community itself there are numerous accusations of people not seeing "the truth", of "being blinded", and so forth.

If you guys are already openly calling each other deluded, or even liars, why focus on outside criticism when you have plenty of fellow Christians willing to call you crazy for what you believe different from them?

July 20, 2012 at 12:14 pm |
    • Keith

Cq, I was referring to ttps, tp, and mirosal and the rest of that ilk.

July 20, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

Keith: You still have no verifiable evidence for your imaginary friend, so please get back on your meds or in the least back to the asylum with your wifey HS.

July 20, 2012 at 1:11 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Keith, if one of your friends told you that they thought they were being controlled by some supernatural being, but clearly not one that you subscribe to, wouldn't you think they were mentally ill?

July 20, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Hot air, the only humans playing games with other humans is you atheists that lie.

July 20, 2012 at 3:21 pm |