home
RSS
The Sikh turban: at once personal and extremely public
Harmeet Singh Soin (Left) and his brother Harkirat Singh Soin (Right) differ on wearing the Sikh turban.
August 8th, 2012

The Sikh turban: at once personal and extremely public

By Moni Basu, CNN

(CNN) - Harkirat Singh Soin remembers a day in 1999 when, after much contemplation, he finally took a seat in a barber's chair.

All his 18 years, he'd worn long hair, first in a top knot, then in a dastar, or turban. It was an expression of his Sikh faith and a distinct mark of his identity.

As his locks tumbled to the floor, Soin felt ashamed.

CNN iReporter: I am a Sikh, please don’t hate me

He thought of his upbringing in a suburban Milwaukee neighborhood by Punjabi parents who emigrated from India. He grew up on meals of homemade roti and daal makhani and sessions at Sunday school that instilled Sikh values. He thought also of how his mother had taken time to maintain her boys' long hair with love and care.

With every snip of the shears, he felt, he lost not just hair but parts of his being.

But he was tired of not fitting in, of being teased. Once when he was in elementary school, he was even beaten with sticks by neighborhood troublemakers, he says.

"I am guessing that they turned on me because I was different," says Soin, now 32 and studying for his U.S. medical license in Illinois after finishing medical school in China.

He became the first member of his family to shed the most visible signs of his faith. His father and older brother still wear a turban and beard.

He is like thousands of other Sikh men who have abandoned turbans to avoid discrimination or from fear of incidents like the shootings this week at the Sikh temple in suburban Milwaukee. Others simply feel they are old hat and interfere with modern lifestyles.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

The turban, tied in distinctive fashion, was a way to manage long hair and serves as the most instant way to recognize recognition of a Sikh.

Sikh men have worn turbans since 1699, when the last living guru bestowed a unique Sikh identity based on five articles of faith. Among them were a steel bracelet signifying a reality with no beginning or end; a sword representing resolve and justice; and unshorn hair as a gift of God and a declaration of humility.

In India, Sikhism's birthplace, the turban was first abandoned in large numbers in anti-Sikh riots that erupted after the assassination of Prime Minister Indira Gandhi by her Sikh bodyguards in 1984, says Manjit Singh, a leader of a Sikh nationalist political party in New Delhi.

Explainer: Who are Sikhs and what do they believe?

Even more Sikhs unraveled their turbans for good after the September 11 attacks in the United States. They felt vulnerable after some Sikhs were mistaken for Muslims and targeted by revenge-seeking zealots.

Just four days after the Twin Towers collapsed, Balbir Singh Sodhi, a Sikh gas station owner in Mesa, Arizona, was shot five times and killed by aircraft mechanic Frank Roque. Roque was later found guilty of first-degree murder and sentenced to death. On appeal, his sentence was reduced to life in prison.

In the years following, the Sikh Coalition, a New York-based advocacy group, reported more than 700 attacks or bias-related incidents against Sikhs.

Opinion: White power music

That was certainly cause for concern in the Soin family.

They displayed an American flag and bumper stickers on the family car that said: "Proud to be American" and "Sikh American."

"It was to show people that we are with you," Harkirat Soin says. "We are not who you think we are."

"We are not radical Muslims."

Soin's younger brother Manmeet stopped wearing a turban six years ago. Older brother Harmeet still wears his and has not been spared the sting of ignorance.

Harmeet Soin says he has been called "Osama" on the streets. And when he travels for his banking job, he gets called out at airport security every time, he says, even though he is a frequent flyer and has executive status with various airlines.

10 years after Sikh murder over 9/11, community continues to blend in and stand out

He says he, too, wanted to cut his hair when he was in school. But his father sat him down and asked: Is that the answer to your problem? Will you no longer be different then?

He realized then that the turban was as much his identity as his skin color.

"I am very proud of looking different," he says. "I am proud of my identity."

Harmeet Soin says he was disappointed when his brother first cut his hair and took off the turban. But he understands that Harkarit is an adult who has to be comfortable with the choices he makes.

The turban is a decided mark of difference for which Sikhs may have paid a heavy price last Sunday when gunman Wade Michael Page began shooting his way through a gurdwara, or Sikh house of worship, in Oak Creek, a suburb of Milwaukee.

Police have yet to define a motive, but in the Sikh community, the fear is that they were targeted by someone who knew little about their beliefs.

Lehigh University English professor Amardeep Singh wrote on his blog this week that the turban amplifies the hostility felt by some.

"The turban that Sikh men wear is the embodiment of a kind of difference or otherness that can provoke some Americans to react quite viscerally," Singh wrote. "I increasingly feel that visible marks of religious difference are lightning rods for this hostility in ways that don't depend on accurate recognition.

"I am not sure why the reaction can be so visceral - perhaps because wearing a turban is at once so intimate and personal and so public? Walking around waving, say, an Iranian flag probably wouldn't provoke quite the same reaction. A flag is abstract - a turban, as something worn on the body, is much more concrete and it therefore poses a more palpable (more personal?) symbol for angry young men looking for someone to target. Whether or not that target was actually the "right one" was besides the point for the Oak Creek shooter."

Harkarit Soin says his family knew one of the victims well. Satwant Singh Kaleka, who served as president of the gurdwara, had presided over prayers and rituals at Soin's sister's wedding.

"Why are we being targeted?" Soin says. "Despite educating people, it seems nothing has changed since 9/11."

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

As the community stands in solidarity after tragedy, Harkarit Soin says he is considering wrapping a turban again.

"I think this was my vanity," he says about cutting his hair. "I wanted to conform. But why should I be ashamed of whom I am? We are a hardworking community. And we have been through a lot."

Soin is proud to be an American, he says. Proud to be Sikh - and of an identity marked by a turban.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Race • Sikh

1. Parkerman

The issue here is simply people are naturally wary of anything different. It would be the same if you were walking around in a monk robe with bald head, or you wear a spike mohawk, or the goth look. You are going to have people that size you up accordingly mainly because you do not fit the main stream western look. There is no simple answer to this, however, I am just glad that not everyone sees this as a threat, but as something we inthe United States are still learning to understand.

August 9, 2012 at 10:22 am |
  2. jrae1

Where are the leaders of our country? The leaders of the Churches? Why are they not speaking out loud and strong against the religious persecution going on in this country? By remaining silent they condone the madness.

August 9, 2012 at 10:21 am |
  3. THX1953

In a country of people that can not seem to figure out which way the bill on a ball cap goes I think you should Turban Up!

August 9, 2012 at 10:20 am |
  4. DCBuck

This issue is not as cut and dried as most would believe. On the one hand, one of the great things about this country is that we have the freedom to wear turbans, burquas (sic), robes, or anything else we want. On the other hand, this country has its own distinct culture, which turbans, robes, and burquas are not a part of. Many native-born U.S. citizens take immigrants continuing to wear their native attire as a sign that they are unwilling to fully assimilate into our culture, and perhaps there's a fair amount of truth to this. And, on the other hand, perhaps these immigrants believe that this is a country where they can continue to wear what they want. It seems to me that the bottom line is that we native-born Americans need to practice what we preach and be more accepting that everyone is not going to want to wear jeans and a t-shirt, and perhaps immigrants need to realize that the U.S. does have its own culture that has not included their traditional attire, and that they should consider whether or not they are willing to fully assimilate – or at least make some efforts to fully assimilate – into our culture before immigrating.

August 9, 2012 at 10:19 am |
    • Parkerman

I completely agree, I think you nailed this on the head.

August 9, 2012 at 10:24 am |
    • Simran

Wearing a T-shirt and jeans is not American Culture. It is the modern culture. Why should a person who wants to wear a turban have to think twice. We have people wearing a turban all around in my country and then still a vast majority dont, and then ladies wear Sarees and Suits. And now the modern generation wears T'shirts and jeans. SO??? Can't you think of a situation of UNITY IN DIVERSITY!!!

August 9, 2012 at 10:36 am |
    • Simran

"Fully Assimilate" – what does that stand for? From what I can understand, if I migrate to another country and become a citizen of that country, I should abide by the rules and regulations, I should pay my taxes, I shall not commit crime, I shall not bring harm to property or person etc etc.... Isn't that assimilation??? Assimilate with culture? I tried to google but couldnot find the defining norms of American Culture. T-shirts and jeans, hell no, I feel more comfortable in my salwar suit. You have a problem with that!!! I like to cover up my head – you got a problem??? Keep it to yourself then.

August 9, 2012 at 10:42 am |
    • Willyboy

I completely disagree. Our culture does, *should*, include turbans, hijab, hoodies, various necklaces, ear rings, ball caps, hair styles, and all manner of other things. Our diversity is our strength. Your implication is that our "culture" is simply WASP and that is simply wrong and in fact quite offensive.

August 9, 2012 at 10:59 am |
    • Reality

Did Europeans gave up their culture and assimilated with native Americans.

August 9, 2012 at 1:07 pm |
  5. Carlos

Nice hair ,show it off. Nothing wrong with the turban eitther.

August 9, 2012 at 10:18 am |
  6. Jay

“Reflect O Human, of millions of years

Time is writhing away

Recognize Human Race as One.”

August 9, 2012 at 10:17 am |
  7. Willyboy

Shirt debate: To wear or not to wear?!
    Ball Cap Debate: To wear or not to wear?!
    Wrist Watch Debate: To wear or not to wear?!
    This has to be one of the most asinine articles I've seen on CNN in a while. The staggering ignorance of the general USA population should not be a factor in a person deciding whether or not to wear a turban. Or a hijab. Or anything else. Be proud of who you are and your culture. This "debate" embarrasses me and shames me. My country should be better than this nonsense.

August 9, 2012 at 10:15 am |
    • jrae1

Don't forget the hoodie.

August 9, 2012 at 10:23 am |
  8. oneSTARman

I grew up in a small half-redneck town in the 60s and had hair past my shoulders. I remember having a Pick-up Truck full of young men stop beside me on a City street – jump out and kick me bloody with their four sets of Cowboy Boots. I have some idea what it feels like; being unfairly persecuted because you look different than the people who seem to hate you – for what reason you cannot imagine. This sort of MINDLESS Hatred is certainly Not UNIQUE to the USA – but certainly seems more COMMON here.

August 9, 2012 at 10:12 am |
    • fiftyfive55

Except here we dont lob missiles at each other instead we have fist fights which is totally different

August 9, 2012 at 10:16 am |
  9. Norm

It's just another hat.
    I can't be any worse than these goobers that wear their baseball hat backwards.

August 9, 2012 at 10:12 am |
    • SSS

It is not just another hat. It is a symbol of a religion, and should be worn like a crown. The other guy just lost his way in life.

August 9, 2012 at 10:18 am |
  10. Scott

I do not think any man should be ashamed to wear one.

But I also do not think that any man should be ashamed to decide not to, either.

August 9, 2012 at 10:04 am |
    • Simran

Yes Scott, no man should be ashamed of wearing a turban. And you are right, they should also not be ashamed of CHOOSING not to wear one. But the bottomline here is CHOOSING and not having to choose bcoz of society's pressure. I think that is what Soin meant. Bcoz when you change bcoz you dont want to be harrassed, deep inside you feel guilty of not standing up for your belief. You feel like the kid who stops going to school bcoz is is bullied.
      I have 3 generations of Sikhs in my family, and yes, 60% of my generation have chosen not to wear a turban (of their own free will). No elder of my family stood up to question them.

August 9, 2012 at 10:17 am |
    • Kyrozmahm

Not unless you are beaten for your faith. If members of Christendom were beaten for wearing crosses on a daily basis would they abandon the practice? Jehovah's Witnesses are beaten, tortured, unfairly taxed for what they believe by people who profess Christianity in Russia, France, Greece and many other countries. In America, "Christians" think it is okay to abuse anyone who is Muslim. I know Christ would not agree with thier behavior.

August 9, 2012 at 10:19 am |
  11. MashaSobaka

The rampant bigotry in our country should have each and every American feeling deeply embarrassed.

PS – the whole "this shooting would have been understandable had the targets actually been Muslim" mentality is getting old and is making me more ashamed than ever of my countrymen.

August 9, 2012 at 10:03 am |
    • Norm

It sounds like you're carrying enough shame for all of us.
      Thanks for relieving us of that burden.

August 9, 2012 at 10:13 am |
    • AJ

Come on. Don't you all get it. The shooter's target wasn't just "Muslims" or "Sikhs". His targets were innocent, god loving Americans who loved their country just like any other "red neck" looking person. Remember, none of the terrorists on 9/11 wore any turban or even had beards. This is not a fight against "Muslims" vs "non-Muslims". This is a fight against evil. Apparently, it is a shame that media is still saying that they don’t know what his motive was. Don’t they get it, his motive was Evil “hate”

Bye the Way. I'm an American Muslim and I believe in "God" or “Allah” similar to the deity that Sikhs believe it. Regardless of what we call that deity.

Don't lose the turban or the faith, just because you want to try to fit in.

August 9, 2012 at 10:34 am |
  12. BLUEJEANSGIRL

He is hot!! is he single?

August 9, 2012 at 10:03 am |
  13. AverageJoe76

For the ignoramus who is either too lazy to research or just simply of low-intelligence, this line fits "visible marks of religious difference are lightning rods for this hostility in ways that don't depend on accurate recognition". Just goes to prove that man isn't as far away from being simple animals. The turbans work like lures used by fisherman. The 'fish' (idiot-x), attacks because the 'lure' (turban, in this case) clearly states, "It's different. Different = Terrorist. Terrorist = Bad. Bad = Devil. Devil = Obama".

QUESTION OF THE DAY: How many generations does it take to wipe out the 'idiot' gene?

August 9, 2012 at 9:46 am |
    • FactsAreGood

Other species cull their weak (bodied and minded) via natural selection. We humans nurture and save our weak. Although this is a noble and civilized gesture, it does weaken the species overall and those weak genes are passed on. Hence, you can't fix stupid 😉

August 9, 2012 at 9:59 am |
    • Huebert

The "idiot gene" only provides one with a predisposition toward racism or other forms of bigotry. While the gene can become active on it's own it is rare. Said gene is usually activated via environmental stimuli i.e. frequent exposure to idiotic ideas and actions, usually through idiotic peers and/or parents.

August 9, 2012 at 10:25 am |
  14. fiftyfive55

August 9, 2012 at 9:39 am |
    • IceOpen

I am an Asian living in the US and I don't have any agenda against white males. I think that I have a vested interest in seeing the US succeed, because of the values it represents.

I do agree with the racist label being taken too far, and it is skewed against whites. It is now ok for blacks to make jokes against whites but not the other way around.

> big business(in bed with our government) has exported OUR jobs to slave labor countries
      Big businesses are the least of the problem. The real problem is with the people themselves. The reason jobs are being exported to other countries is because of simple economics of cost. If we had a more efficient society in the US, this wouldn't happen in the first place.

I worked in India for a few years and I don't remember being enslaved to anyone. What I remember is spending about $6 per month commuting to work and back, there was a bus every 3 minutes during commute hours. In contrast, it costs me around $450/month to maintain my car. The ridiculously inefficient, oil-industry-sponsored, stone-age transport system that we have in the US is one of the many reasons why jobs are going to what you call as "slave-labor" nations.

The next time you vote, check up on who advocates giving subsidies to big-oil companies and who advocates cutting benefits to poor people and who rants about small government. You will be surprised to see that they are all done by the same group of people.

August 9, 2012 at 9:51 am |
    • MashaSobaka

When you grow up you'll realize that blaming everyone else for your problems isn't going to get you anywhere. Get over yourself.

August 9, 2012 at 9:57 am |
    • Simran

"Exported OUR jobs to slave labor countries,thereby destroying most American males chances at a succesful future."
      Do you suggest that it is okay to take away chances from American Females??? And where does this average American male come from? Read some history. The so called average American male also is an immigrant...
      The people of the so-called "SLAVE LABOR COUNTRIES" (you just again proved how prejudiced you are) have earned their right to be there, they have competed with the average American male or female and proved themselves better. Now, do you want to understand why they were better? Bcoz while the American male (not all) was idling around, the SLAVE was toiling hard, night and day.

August 9, 2012 at 10:00 am |
    • fiftyfive55

MASHA SOBAKA and ICE OPEN: Big business IS in slave labor countries,India is one of the biggest child-labor abusers in the world besides one of the crookedest governments(I work with many Indians who have told me this) China is our sworn enemy as a communist country(whether you admit it or not) .Big business left America to take advantage of third world wages in those countries and in the process is lowering our standards of living to theirs(whether you like to hear this or not,its the truth).Dont try to defend these actions to Americans who are aware of the truth.We got along fine before these countries and before personal greed ruined our American society.

August 9, 2012 at 10:06 am |
    • hemchandra

I can only laugh at naivety. The only agenda they have is to live better life. They come here work hard, save money, start business, buy house and have kids that are above average in education. That is American dream. Isn't it?

August 9, 2012 at 10:08 am |
    • AverageJoe76

Oh my, the poor white man of America. Tsk...... look at all the abuse he's been taking lately. AND THE HISTORY OF ABUSE AGAINST THEM HAS BEEN HORRIBLE...... omg, omg, omg. I hear ya fiftyfive55. I hear YOU.

Sarcasm aside, REALLY?!?!? ........... you gotta be kidding me.

I'm surprised black people haven't resorted to terrorist tactics for the history they've had in America.

August 9, 2012 at 10:10 am |
    • Josh

Your "victim mentality" is the reason for most of your problems. It's in your head. I'm a white male and I will continue to be successful because I work on myself instead of looking for reasons to blame and scapegoat – losers do that.

August 9, 2012 at 10:12 am |
    • Lynn Jenkins, Esq.

@Fiftyfive55
      "I personally condemn this shooting,but,with every race known to man living in America and all of them with agendas against caucasian males(even caucasian women have it in for white guys) is anybody surprised that there isnt more of this happening here ??? Nowadays if a white guy says anything about anything,he is condemned as a racist,whether he is or isnt.These reasons and the fact that big business(in bed with our government) has exported OUR jobs to slave labor countries,thereby destroying most American males chances at a succesful future."

Really? I have to laugh at this because it is so pathetic. No one has it "in for white guys." Other non-white guys (if I can use that term) do now insist on their fair share based on their abilities, hard work, and perseverance. The playing field is now being leveled, and you and others like you are finding it difficult to compete – since, historically, you were first in line and received the lion’s share of everything that America had to offer, trading in on your white skin and your penis. Well, sorry, those days are over. From now on, you white guys are going to have to produce like the rest of us. No more handouts, free lunches, and jobs for the asking – as you trampled over the more-deserving women and minorities. And, frankly, don’t blame me for your failures. I’m a successful Black woman. I got there, not because of agendas or slave labor, or labeling white guys “racist.” I got there through my ability, my hard work, and my perseverance. Three personality traits that you obviously lack.

August 9, 2012 at 10:21 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Great post, Lynn.

August 9, 2012 at 10:23 am |
    • JustAnother WhiteDude

Sorry there, 55. You're not going to get much sympathy complaining about how hard it is to be a white male in this country. Irregardless of your personal experiences, whatever they may be, statistically speaking you're still FAR more likely to get the best of everything this country has to offer than someone who falls into basically any category besides white male.

August 9, 2012 at 10:28 am |
  15. Sean

It's not just sikhs.... it's the overall mentality in the U.S. I once talked to a colleague of mine... not anyone but a professor (I'm a professor myself). I told her that I didn't need a system to conduct an experiment when I was doing it in Singapore... she told me that US has better laws... I told her that Singapore has stricter laws (that's the reality), and her counter argument is that US is not a communist state.... my God.... she's not anyone... she's a professor... why does anyone has to think that all Chinese has to come from China? All Muslims are terrorists? All Sikhs are Muslims?

August 9, 2012 at 9:39 am |
    • AP

It is possible that chinese come from China, a muslim may be a terrorist but not necessarily. But it is impossible that a sikh is a muslim.

August 9, 2012 at 9:45 am |
    • fiftyfive55

In case you havent noticed,we are at war with the muslim world of the middle east , why else would we be there ? A point I'd like to make is, 60 years after world war 2 and to this day if I dressed in a gestapo uniform I would be insulted ,berated and probably beat up,erego,sikhs look just like muslims to Americans(remember this is not the middle east and we dont know the difference) What ever happened to folks coming here and assimilating into our culture instead of setting up there own seperate societies.

August 9, 2012 at 9:49 am |
    • FactsAreGood

Because it's easy. We have become a nation of lazy thinkers.

August 9, 2012 at 10:01 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

@55, in other words, why doesn't everyone try to look just like you, right?

What a narrow-minded view.

And really, a Nazi uniform is equivalent to a turban?

Please.

August 9, 2012 at 10:25 am |
    • dmoulton

@fiftyfive55 Are you familiar with Little Italy? Chinatown? This country has a rich history of immigrants who set up their own society. The Sihks are no different. The murder of these people was a terrible, terrible thing. I hope that it has educated at least a small portion of Americans so that they understand that Sihks are different, peaceful, and good members of our society. This country was build on differences and compromise, not assimilation.

August 9, 2012 at 10:27 am |
    • jonesc22

@fiftyfive55 If we don't know the difference, whose fault is that? The ignorance this country has of other cultures is our fault, and you think persecuting others for our faults is somehow ok? Further, the Nazi uniform is offensive because of Hitler's senseless slaughter of millions. Are you aware of the Sikhs slaughtering others, or is it the other way around? Your comparison of the two is dangerous and clearly thoughtless.

August 9, 2012 at 10:40 am |
    • Melody

fiftyfive the US actually has a long history of immigrants coming here and creating their own small communities. Little Italy, Irish ghettos in New Orleans...

August 9, 2012 at 10:48 am |
    • alex

Funny, I haven't seen anyone even trying to dressed up as Tojo with a samurai sword.

Dressing up as a Gestapo is only trying to intimidate, to be associated with the biggest and cruelest crime organization the world has ever known.

August 9, 2012 at 10:49 am |
  16. Rutgers

Muslims are not radical Sikhs !!

August 9, 2012 at 9:31 am |
    • Harjot Singh

Get a life!

August 9, 2012 at 9:39 am |
    • granny25

All the Sikhs I know are peaceful, kind people. And yes, at first I thought they were Muslims and was very wary of them but after getting to know them my thinking changed. There is a BIG difference between Sikhs & Muslims!!!

August 9, 2012 at 9:41 am |
    • Simran

to Granny,
      I am a Sikh and thank you for understanding my community. But while you are at it, I would suggest also get to know some Muslims too. Just like you got over your prejudice against us, you will find that Muslims are good people too. The whole Christianity vs Islam war is so not about the real people.It is about politics and power. My country (India) has been constantly warring with the neighbouring Islam country (Pakistan), but the people there are the same who were a part of India not too long ago. People across the border are really brothers and sisters. So why should I let some extremist political people tell me they are the enemy!!! The real enemy is ignorance, intolerance and hatred.

August 9, 2012 at 10:10 am |
  17. independentlyowned

I find one of the most disturbing parts of this is how people say Sikh's are targeted because they're mistaken for Muslims. I'm not surprised that the confusion is made since most people are pretty ignorant of non-Christian religions, but the way they say it makes it sound as though the acts of harassment and murder would be justified if the person HAD in fact been Muslim.

August 9, 2012 at 9:28 am |
    • Simran

A very valid point. I agree with you perfectly. There is no justification to state that it is okay to target Muslims.

August 9, 2012 at 9:39 am |
    • sjshweta

I agree.. I go to a Gurudwara (Sikh temple) every Sunday, so this couldn't feel more personal... but it is extremely disturbing how the focus is on educating people on the difference between Sikhs and Muslims, as though it would be OK if the victims had been Muslims.

August 9, 2012 at 10:07 am |
    • Norm

The diversity of people that come here to America to get away from persecution and then run into some crazy conservative that makes them feel like they still aren't free.

August 9, 2012 at 10:18 am |
  18. Rainer Braendlein

More dangerous than all fanatics are our current politicans which lump together all beliefs. They pursue a certain strategy.

By that they take all believers for idiots, as if they would say: "look at that childish fool, he actually needs a faith, how weak is he, he cannot cope with life without his childish delusion, etc."

In daily life you are required to be wheeler-dealer neglecting the needs of your neighbour only pursueing the aim of increasing to profit of the company. That is anti-Christian or serving the demon Mammon which is the idol of materialism.

Christianity is the only true faith which leads us to love and righteousness against everybody. Christians will not neglect anybody for the sake of the profit of their company. Christians don't serve Mammon, but the God of Love.

Hence, dear members of cults and sect and false churches, don't you notice how the capitalistic Western establishments fools you. Yes, they tolerate or even accept your (false) belief, but not because they respect you as a human being. They only need you as a human robot which keeps silent concerning any religious question.

We as Christians would not tell you that it would not matter if you become a Christian or not, but tell you the truth. On the other hand we would not exploit your manpower abusing you as a human robot.

Choose, what is better: Christ or the Anti-Christ.

August 9, 2012 at 9:16 am |
    • PeaceNow

Oh my God, do you learn nothing from events like what took place in Wisconsin? "Christianity is the only true faith." What kind of hogwash are you trying to spew here? It's people like you that are the root cause of discrimination. It's not enough to let people believe what they want to believe. They have to believe the exact same thing as you do. You're just as bad – YES, JUST AS BAD – as the person who kills in the name of a God, god, Allah or whatever the idol of the day is. Stop supporting discrimination!

August 9, 2012 at 9:38 am |
    • Bob Lewis

I've never met a Christian yet who actually believes and follows the tenants of it's founder. Like all religions, Christians selectively pick whatever validates their own inherent prejudice and disregard whatever is inconvenient.

August 9, 2012 at 9:48 am |
    • Rainer Braendlein

Mistakes of Christians only emerge when they neglect their faith or when they are false Christians which only join the church, in order to pursue selfish, personal purposes.

Jesus himself did not gain any temporal profit but only faced suffering and rejection. But even in the very beginning of the Church a wolf in sheep's clothing with a selfish purpose had entered the Church: Judas Iscariot.

We certainly would get frightened if we would know how many false prophets are amongst the true believers.

August 9, 2012 at 10:01 am |
    • Norm

That's right.
      With Christianity...you better love everyone or we'll have you removed.

August 9, 2012 at 10:19 am |
    • Simran

Rainer,
      "It is true that also Christians have also made great mistakes in history, but nevertheless the Christian doctrine is to prefer and to favor."
      So you seem to be saying that you have thoroughly read and researched and perfectly understand all the religious doctrines in the world!!! Bcoz only then can you come up with a conclusion such that "THE CHRISTIAN DOCTRINE IS TO PREFER AND FAVOR". But like I said before, I fail to understand whether you mean this as sattire or you really are so DUMB.

August 9, 2012 at 10:29 am |
  19. jimbob22

Same here, victim of male pattern baldness. Nice hair!

August 9, 2012 at 9:09 am |
  20. amigay

Dude, I'm follically challenged and if I had a beautiful head of hair like yours I'd celebrate it, not cover it up.

August 9, 2012 at 9:02 am |